Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

I needed a sleeve for my retina pro so I ordered one of these colcasacs:

It rules. Highly recommended.

http://www.colcasac.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spam Forest
Jul 14, 2012

japtor posted:

Well if you ever use external storage I'd get the new one just for the USB 3 ports, and being able to get 8GB RAM would be nice just in case you need it down the line. Also the faster graphics may come into play, maybe not for the Adobe apps, but I guess everything could be smoother when running on a big external display.

I'm not, but if I go for the MBA I'll have to because I've done most of my backups by burning DVDs. I haven't seen much discussion about the Intel 4000 chips, are they that much better than the 3000s?

quote:

It depends on the iMacs, only 27" ones can act as displays. There's another thing regarding Mini DisplayPort vs Thunderbolt on the iMacs but that's a moot point in this case...although for all I know you might need a TB cable for the latter type of iMac.

Forget that idea then, my school only has the 21.5" iMacs.

I think I'll be getting an 13" MBA. The portability, screen resolution, reduced glossiness, and SSD are big pros for me, while the color gamut can be compensated for with an external monitor. Now for the fun of figuring out which one to get.

Spam Forest fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jul 15, 2012

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
Looking to get a Macbook Air 11"

I noticed a refurb comes with 256GB SSD. Should I go with this? This is a older generation I believe.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/G0MG1LL/A

Does anyone know if the current generation 11" macbook air's will have upgradable SSDs in them?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Spam Forest posted:

I'm not, but if I go for the MBA I'll have to because I've done most of my backups by burning DVDs. I haven't seen much discussion about the Intel 4000 chips, are they that much better than the 3000s?
Oh god burning DVDs. Backing up to a drive on USB 2 would still be faster I think. Of course there's flash drives and particularly online storage if you need more redundancy.

Anyway I just found this on the HD4000: http://www.barefeats.com/mba12a.html

quote:

Cinebench's OpenGL test ran 58% faster on the 2012 MacBook Air with Intel HD 4000 GPU compared to the 2011 MacBook Air with Intel HD 3000 GPU. At the settings we used, Portal 2 ran 54% faster while World of Warcraft ran only slightly faster on the 2012 MacBook Air compared to the 2011 MacBook Air.
Not too in depth but I guess 50% faster as a ballpark estimate. Anandtech did testing with it with PCs a while back:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/5772/mobile-ivy-bridge-and-asus-n56vm-preview/5
http://www.anandtech.com/show/5772/mobile-ivy-bridge-and-asus-n56vm-preview/6

lol internet. posted:

Looking to get a Macbook Air 11"

I noticed a refurb comes with 256GB SSD. Should I go with this? This is a older generation I believe.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/G0MG1LL/A

Does anyone know if the current generation 11" macbook air's will have upgradable SSDs in them?
Do you need 8GB RAM, USB 3, or faster graphics? If so get a new one, otherwise that one is fine.

I think the 2012s are upgradable (not 100% on that), but iirc they changed the form factor or something so it'll require different SSD modules than the 2011s.

luvd
Sep 29, 2011

don't like omelettes but i'll eat crepes all day long
Wow I had no idea that you could upgrade the HDs on MBAs.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Yeah, they're the only thing you can upgrade on Airs.

Well you could switch out the whole logic board too I guess.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

japtor posted:

I think the 2012s are upgradable (not 100% on that), but iirc they changed the form factor or something so it'll require different SSD modules than the 2011s.

Yes, they are upgradeable, held in with a single screw.

Pretty sure new upgrades will be coming as OWC was quick to change the description of their MBA SSDs to only include models as far as the 2011 editions, which cements what iFixit stated in their teardown that 2012 MBAs use a different form factor for the SSD than previous models.

rMBPs also use this differentiated SSD form factor as far as I can tell.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
Oh wow, if I'd known that I might have bought a 128 GB and just upgraded it beyond the 256 I'll be getting. At least this means I don't need to worry about running out. Thanks for the heads up!

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Petey posted:

Oh wow, if I'd known that I might have bought a 128 GB and just upgraded it beyond the 256 I'll be getting. At least this means I don't need to worry about running out. Thanks for the heads up!

The OWC drives cost about as much as what Apple asks for the higher amount of storage. You pay far too much one way or another compared to standard format SSDs.

Uuudar
Apr 18, 2003

Petey posted:

Well, just ordered a July 2011 refurb MBA. 1.8 GHz Dual Core i7, 256 GB HD, 4 GB RAM, for $1199. Would have liked more RAM but couldn't add to the refurb and got ~20% off so I feel pretty good about the deal.

Hoooraaay.

This is what I got instead of a new one. It'a awesome and was a great decision.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa

Uuudar posted:

This is what I got instead of a new one. It'a awesome and was a great decision.

I ordered a Refurbished MacBook Pro 2.4GHz Dual-core Intel i5 on June 19th and really love it. I regretted it briefly at first, but I can't argue with the quality and ease and the savings of the refurb.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Decius posted:

The OWC drives cost about as much as what Apple asks for the higher amount of storage. You pay far too much one way or another compared to standard format SSDs.

This is 100% true, you're better off with getting the 256 GB right away.

OWC tends to be pricey especially for items you cant get anywhere else. Their SandForce based 2.5" SSD drives are way way overpriced compared to the prices you can get for Crucial M4s and Samsung 830s these days.

They do have the only commercially available (as far as I can tell) bootable PCIe slot-based SSD for Mac Pros at the moment.

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

I will be there to receive the new mind
I have a working iMac G5 that I'd like to get rid of. How much is this thing worth, and what's the best way to go about selling it? It still works perfectly.

Specs: 17" iMac G5, 1.6 ghz, 256 MB RAM, 80 GB storage, CD/DVD drive working fine. It is Airport compatible but doesn't have it built-in.

AmbassadorTaxicab
Sep 6, 2010

I've got a 27" LED Cinema Display and a 2009 MBP with an Apple USB Keyboard. Recently, it's started giving me trouble recognizing the keyboard when it's connected to the display's USB hub. It takes more than a few plugs/unplugs to get it to recognize the keyboard when I plug the computer back into the display.

The keyboard works just fine connected directly to the USB port on the MBP, as do other devices connected to the display. Any ideas?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Argali posted:

I have a working iMac G5 that I'd like to get rid of. How much is this thing worth, and what's the best way to go about selling it? It still works perfectly.

Specs: 17" iMac G5, 1.6 ghz, 256 MB RAM, 80 GB storage, CD/DVD drive working fine. It is Airport compatible but doesn't have it built-in.

How much is it worth? Basically zero dollars.

Put it on CL for $150 and take what you can get.

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

How much is it worth? Basically zero dollars.

Put it on CL for $150 and take what you can get.

That should be fun, greeting the types of folks who are in the market for an 8-year-old iMac. Maybe I can sell them a Jaz drive while I'm at it.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Apparently there are music types who use PPC only software and things like that. Someone will probably be interested. It can run Leopard so it's not that bad in my view. People overestimate their computing needs. They always want more. It sometimes seems like selective ignorance of the amazing things accomplished with what we consider today to be puny computers.

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

fleshweasel posted:

Apparently there are music types who use PPC only software and things like that. Someone will probably be interested. It can run Leopard so it's not that bad in my view. People overestimate their computing needs. They always want more. It sometimes seems like selective ignorance of the amazing things accomplished with what we consider today to be puny computers.

Agreed - actually the fun thing about a computer like that is it can run OS 9 if you're so inclined. However, the 256 MB RAM really hobbles it in terms of trying to use it online.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

fleshweasel posted:

Usually it is the PowerMacs they go for since there are also expansion cards and the extra power from the dual CPU models (and 1000x the power bill)

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(
Don't want to be a downer but I ended up returning my retina MBP. Would've loved to have waited for and tried ML, but my return period ends tomorrow. I bought the first-gen Air when it was released and the rMBP was just giving me the same vibe: good enough -- maybe even great -- but I don't think the technology is going to 100% catch up to the promise until the next iteration. What really got me is that my 2011 MBP feels faster at normal tasks than the rMBP did. That might change with ML, but I wasn't cool with spending 2K on a slower-feeling computer. That said, I'm super optimistic for next year's update! And super interested in what a 13-inch rMBP would look like (quad-core? discreet GPU? battery life? weight?).

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

1997 posted:

Are you buying used cables?

Did the first time until I realized that the cable costs $18 after tax out of warranty at the fruit stand, including install. iFixit wants $60 for the same cable; I paid $25 for the first one used. Doh.

Heisenberg1276
Apr 13, 2007
Arranged for a replacement RMBP - I love everything about it except that it's got fairly serious image retention issues. I hope the replacement doesn't have this problem.

Does anyone here have a RMBP that doesn't have image retention problems?

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

I have not noticed anything like that. How does one test for this?

Heisenberg1276
Apr 13, 2007

spaceship posted:

I have not noticed anything like that. How does one test for this?

Open text edit, leave it visible in the same place for 10-20 minutes, then move to a solid dark colour background where the textedit window was. The gray tray desktop background works well for it.

On mine, I can see the ghosts for 10-15 minutes after leaving something on the screen for 5-10 minutes.

(This makes it seem like a non-issue that I have to take these steps to see it - but I noticed it during normal use and this is just the easiest way to reproduce it - The default sublime text background is a good colour for highlighting the retention)

This window is now ghosting on the screen in the time it took to write this post!

sleepness
Feb 9, 2006

grahm posted:

Don't want to be a downer but I ended up returning my retina MBP. Would've loved to have waited for and tried ML, but my return period ends tomorrow. I bought the first-gen Air when it was released and the rMBP was just giving me the same vibe: good enough -- maybe even great -- but I don't think the technology is going to 100% catch up to the promise until the next iteration. What really got me is that my 2011 MBP feels faster at normal tasks than the rMBP did. That might change with ML, but I wasn't cool with spending 2K on a slower-feeling computer. That said, I'm super optimistic for next year's update! And super interested in what a 13-inch rMBP would look like (quad-core? discreet GPU? battery life? weight?).

Can you elaborate on some of the tasks you are doing that you found to be slower? Reason being I'm looking to buy a RBMP but would not be happy experiencing what you are.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

For the last few weeks my MacBook Air (Mid 2011, Lion 10.7.4 11E53) has stopped getting access to Panera Bread's wifi. I'm not exactly sure when it started but I want to say early June/late May. Whenever I try to get on it gives me the login screen and then hangs on the wifi connected screen. It used to work just fine.

I tried forgetting the access point. I even tried installing the Flash plugin (both the login screen and login confirmed screen have Flash ads at the top) but it still didn't work. Oh, I also tried multiple Paneras (and historically it has worked at all three).

I haven't had this trouble on any other home or commercial wifi hotspots, even those with a login screen.

Any idea what to try? Googling turned up no one with this issue.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Heisenberg1276 posted:

Arranged for a replacement RMBP - I love everything about it except that it's got fairly serious image retention issues. I hope the replacement doesn't have this problem.

I didn't have retention issues but had pretty significant LED Backlight uniformity issues. Ended up exchanging mine as well.

Seems that the display tech isn't fully ready; they are having QC issues.

sleepness posted:

Can you elaborate on some of the tasks you are doing that you found to be slower? Reason being I'm looking to buy a RBMP but would not be happy experiencing what you are.

Usually what feels slow is the scrolling/moving windows around. On my MPBr I felt the laptop chugging to move things across the screen. It's a limitation of the GPU setup; there are too many glorious pixels to move around. Even still; the MPBr seems to paint to the screen more than my 2010 (I can track an image moving around much easier than on the 2010).

I haven't felt anything else be slow such as what sleepness is feeling. Even my VMs are blazing fast.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

LastInLine posted:

For the last few weeks my MacBook Air (Mid 2011, Lion 10.7.4 11E53) has stopped getting access to Panera Bread's wifi. I'm not exactly sure when it started but I want to say early June/late May. Whenever I try to get on it gives me the login screen and then hangs on the wifi connected screen. It used to work just fine.

I tried forgetting the access point. I even tried installing the Flash plugin (both the login screen and login confirmed screen have Flash ads at the top) but it still didn't work. Oh, I also tried multiple Paneras (and historically it has worked at all three).

I haven't had this trouble on any other home or commercial wifi hotspots, even those with a login screen.

Any idea what to try? Googling turned up no one with this issue.

What browser(s) are you using?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

What browser(s) are you using?
Chrome, but the sign-in is processed in Safari (as far as I can tell there's no way to alter this behavior). The sign-in popup comes up as soon as the MBA connects to the hotspot and loads just fine.

I should mention I don't even have to have a browser open for this to occur, it all happens as soon as wifi connects.

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

Heisenberg1276 posted:

Luckily no display problems whatsoever! Even though I'm a short walk from an Apple store, I'd still be pretty bummed to go through the hassle of finding one again. Condolences, yo...

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

No image retention problems here, and I don't notice any sluggishness. So I dunno.

terriyaki
Nov 10, 2003

I'll have to check to see if I have any image retention issues later (deleted all of those boring solid color desktop wallpapers).

A couple weeks in and I'm still pleased with my rMBP's performance. I've finally noticed it being sluggish in one area though, and that's when I hit the zoom button in Safari and the window readjusts to accommodate the current website's content. Seems to happen even when discrete video is on. Other than that all is well.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Let's say I won the lottery and was going to drop a couple thousand on a Mac Pro. If you get the base model with the single six-core CPU, does the motherboard have an open CPU socket that you could later on drop another CPU in, or is it a single-CPU board?

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:

Bob Morales posted:

Let's say I won the lottery and was going to drop a couple thousand on a Mac Pro. If you get the base model with the single six-core CPU, does the motherboard have an open CPU socket that you could later on drop another CPU in, or is it a single-CPU board?

Whilst I cant say for the new ones I have a G5 powermac and the heatsink is MASSIVE. it covers most of the motherboard. I suspect the new ones are similar and Apple being Apple is suspect they would have a single cpu motherboard to stop easy upgrades. The part numbers for the motherboards should give you a hint though.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

I can check when I get to work in about 20 minutes, but I'm almost positive that there isn't a free socket.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

LastInLine posted:

Chrome, but the sign-in is processed in Safari (as far as I can tell there's no way to alter this behavior). The sign-in popup comes up as soon as the MBA connects to the hotspot and loads just fine.

I should mention I don't even have to have a browser open for this to occur, it all happens as soon as wifi connects.

Did you try clearing Safari's cache? Or even resetting Safari?

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

sellouts posted:

No image retention problems here, and I don't notice any sluggishness. So I dunno.

Same here, and I even use Firefox as my main browser, and am running at 1680x1050 (which as we know is rendered at twice that and scaled down).

On another note I wish Speck would hurry up and come out with their RMBP hard cover, I am uncomfortable with my nice new laptop sitting around without a case :(

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Bob Morales posted:

There's no open socket on mine AFAIK. In theory you could replace the Processor Tray via OWC but that'd be fairly expensive.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

SO I have a mid-2012 macbook air that I just got. I want to hook it up to my TV to play movies/stream netflix and twitch. From the OP I saw that I'd need

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10428&cs_id=1042802&p_id=5311&seq=1&format=2

but I was wondering if I could just get this,

http://www.amazon.com/Cablesson-Min...t+to+hdmi+apple

and not have to deal with the adapter. Am I wrong and if so tell me why please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
Ended up getting a 2012 11"inch with 8GB of memory and 128GB SSD.

Will upgrade later once HD once SSD prices drop further.

Also used the educational pricing online, when are they going to request information?