Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Does anyone happen to have any information on specific bluetooth adapters that'll work with these guys without too much fuss? I've got a future project in mind that would rely on linking a few Raspberry Pis together in an ad-hoc network over a pretty small distance and cheap usb bluetooth adapters would probably be the most cost efficient way to handle it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Mayhem
Jul 18, 2000

Very useful on the planet Delphon, where they communicate with their eyebrows
I've verified that Quake 3 runs very smoothly, no sound though. Prboom also runs very well. Advance MAME runs, but too slow to be playable as of yet.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

Got my ModMyPi case today...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
Picking one of these up from a coworker who doesn't have time to play with it. Basically I want to hook it up to HDMI, ethernet, and a keyboard and get a full-screen telnet client on my TV. It should be able to handle that pretty easily, right?

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

JawnV6 posted:

Picking one of these up from a coworker who doesn't have time to play with it. Basically I want to hook it up to HDMI, ethernet, and a keyboard and get a full-screen telnet client on my TV. It should be able to handle that pretty easily, right?

Yes, that should work easily. Telnet isn't the most demanding of applications, and the raspberry pi runs a normal version of linux.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

JawnV6 posted:

Post it on Hack-A-Day once you do that.

e: you may need to blink a LED as well

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Got my device yesterday. Installed Debian squeeze, remembered why i don't like Debian and the derivatives, going on with it since Fedora is apparently in a worse shape.

I had a 5V-700mA charger for a cell phone that I used. I hooked up a keyboard to the device, both mplayer and vlc were not able to play any movie with whatever codec i tried. XBMC didn't want to start without 24 bits of color.

I am hoping that with the 1A charger I'll get and without a keyboard I may be able to play some movies.

So far I...love it. There's so much potential I don't know where to even start. Worst comes to worst (if it can't play movies for me or not with the codecs I want), I can just put it in the basement as a server of some kind along the other ones.

This is a fantastic device. Just awesome.

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

Jamsta posted:

Got my ModMyPi case today...

Oh cool, Hows the quality of the plastic? This is one of the cheaper cases I've seen.
I was thinking of waiting for whatever official design they go with, but who knows how long that will be(and then how long till they are available).

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
My... My order shipped!

Cerebral Mayhem
Jul 18, 2000

Very useful on the planet Delphon, where they communicate with their eyebrows
Well I followed the instructions on this site https://rpidock.blogspot.com and now I have a Motorola Lapdock working with my Pi. The screen is crisp, keyboard and touchpad work, plus it has two USB ports on the back. Makes the Pi very portable, and lapdocks are about the cheapest screen you can get.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

Jigoku San posted:

Oh cool, Hows the quality of the plastic? This is one of the cheaper cases I've seen.
I was thinking of waiting for whatever official design they go with, but who knows how long that will be(and then how long till they are available).

Solid 3mm (by eye) plastic. Comes in two halves which are clipped together, no screws. You can pick different colour halves, they don't do transparent plastic.

The design holds the Pi in place by well positioned braces. The Pi does rattle inside if shaken vertically, but it's not really an issue as you could use tiny bits of foam to keep it still.

I think it looks quite smart compared to other more lurid designs.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

And mine arrived just now, only three months after I had ordered it!

drwprtcht
Mar 14, 2011
Wow, can't believe that I JUST found out about these today. I ordered one from Newark a few minutes ago. I'm going to set up my parents a sweet little XBMC system.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

drwprtcht posted:

Wow, can't believe that I JUST found out about these today. I ordered one from Newark a few minutes ago. I'm going to set up my parents a sweet little XBMC system.

How long is the lead time now?

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Spazzle posted:

A few days ago it was 12 weeks to ship time.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Spazzle posted:

I think it said 141 days when I ordered mine two days ago.

drwprtcht
Mar 14, 2011

Spazzle posted:

I believe that it said 5 weeks.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Both suppliers appear to have lifted the one-per-order restriction, and they're talking about a four to six week lead time, so...

Anybody knows how many of these in circulation so far? They're ramping up production to 4000 units per day, so it must be in the hundreds of thousands, or get there soon.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
My Pi should be with me in a few weeks - has anyone set up one of these as a torrent box or NAS server?

I'd like to be able to hook up a USB drive to the Pi, then drop files onto the drive from my desktop so I can shut off my desktop and access the files from my laptop or (hopefully) smartphone.

Shane-O-Mac
May 24, 2006

Hypnopompic bees are extra scary. They turn into guns.

krushgroove posted:

My Pi should be with me in a few weeks - has anyone set up one of these as a torrent box or NAS server?

I'd like to be able to hook up a USB drive to the Pi, then drop files onto the drive from my desktop so I can shut off my desktop and access the files from my laptop or (hopefully) smartphone.

I've been working on making mine into a NAS/SABnzbd machine. I was able to watch an HD video using XBMC on my laptop with no problems. I haven't been able to test simultaneous watching/downloading, though.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
I tried to get mine set up over the weekend, but I had some difficulty with the keyboard. It was dropping letters, keys were getting 'stuck', etc.

I had it hooked up to HDMI, ethernet, and a wireless keyboard/mouse setup. I had it hooked up to a spare USB port, should I try driving it off of a proper USB plug?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

JawnV6 posted:

I tried to get mine set up over the weekend, but I had some difficulty with the keyboard. It was dropping letters, keys were getting 'stuck', etc.

I had it hooked up to HDMI, ethernet, and a wireless keyboard/mouse setup. I had it hooked up to a spare USB port, should I try driving it off of a proper USB plug?
Your wireless keyboard and mouse might be drawing too much power for the little Pi to provide unassisted. You might want to try plugging it into a powered USB hub, or check the batteries in your keyboard.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I really should have put in a preorder a long time ago. :(

Currently trying to buy them brings me to the "try again later" page.

Edit:

Where are you US people ordering from?

Moey fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jul 16, 2012

Kerpal
Jul 20, 2003

Well that's weird.
I'm in the US but I got mine for pretty cheap from RS Components, a UK company. The shipping was surprisingly reasonable. You do have to sign up though and wait for an authorization code. They might be lifting it if they're getting rid of order limits due to the increase in supply.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
Good news, though: http://www.engadget.com/2012/07/16/raspberry-pi-production-ramped-up-to-4-000-per-day-5mp-camera-m/

Y2J
Aug 18, 2000

The Ayatollah of Rock and Rollah

Moey posted:

I really should have put in a preorder a long time ago. :(

Currently trying to buy them brings me to the "try again later" page.

Edit:

Where are you US people ordering from?

I ordered mine from newark.com

Shane-O-Mac
May 24, 2006

Shane-O-Mac posted:

I've been working on making mine into a NAS/SABnzbd machine. I was able to watch an HD video using XBMC on my laptop with no problems. I haven't been able to test simultaneous watching/downloading, though.

I just had my first watching/downloading test. I was downloading about 10GB of stuff while streaming an HD video to XBMC on another computer. The video froze for a second at the beginning, but then continued without problems. The skip may have been a problem with the video itself.

I had to do quite a few things to enable the Pi to do this, including changing around the file system partition and swap space, updating to a custom firmware, upgrading the kernel, and readjusting the cpu/gpu memory split. I can go into more detail if anybody wants to know more.

JonTheDon
Sep 16, 2005

Shane-O-Mac posted:

I just had my first watching/downloading test. I was downloading about 10GB of stuff while streaming an HD video to XBMC on another computer. The video froze for a second at the beginning, but then continued without problems. The skip may have been a problem with the video itself.

I had to do quite a few things to enable the Pi to do this, including changing around the file system partition and swap space, updating to a custom firmware, upgrading the kernel, and readjusting the cpu/gpu memory split. I can go into more detail if anybody wants to know more.
I'm looking to use mine with SABNZBd and stream files off the Pi, and this would be ideal for me - if you were able to offer any advice, I'd be grateful.

What really would be ideal is NAS/SABNZBd/Raspbmc all together on the Pi, but I'm happy at the moment to use XBMC or any media player on another machine!

Shane-O-Mac
May 24, 2006

JonTheDon posted:

I'm looking to use mine with SABNZBd and stream files off the Pi, and this would be ideal for me - if you were able to offer any advice, I'd be grateful.

What really would be ideal is NAS/SABNZBd/Raspbmc all together on the Pi, but I'm happy at the moment to use XBMC or any media player on another machine!

I'm working on typing up a guide, but it could take awhile. In the meantime, I used this page as a starting point.

Edit:

First of all, take everything in this guide with a grain of salt. I'm a beginner to Linux, so the guide I have written may not be the best way to go about things. I'm just explaining what worked for me personally.

Much of what I've written below is based off of this guide.

1. Install OS onto Pi

The first step is to install Raspbian "wheezy" onto your Pi. You can download it and follow the instructions on the main Pi website: http://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads

I had to use the RCA video port on my Pi, the HDMI wouldn't work. When you first turn it on, it will greet you with a configuration program. Use this to set up the Pi how you want, make sure you turn on SSH, and also make sure you expand the file system. There should also be an option to configure the memory split. Choose the option that gives the most memory to the CPU, and the least to the GPU.

2. Basic Pi Setup

Now you should follow this guide to configure your Pi for basic network use. After you set up your USB storage, you should also configure it to auto-mount on startup.

3. Partition and Swap space

Follow this guide to expand the file system and setup swap space. Some of this may have already been covered in step 1, as this guide was written before Raspbian came out. Look it over and see if there's anything that needs doing.

4. Update Firmware

Now you need to update your firmware. Follow the instructions on this page.

5. Update Kernel

This next step was tricky for me. You need to update to a custom kernel, following the instructions from the very first link at the top of this post, and on this page. When you get to the step where you use "dpkg -i", you may have to use this command instead: "dpkg –force-architecture -i". Please read carefully on this step, I ran into lots of little problems. You may have to update the firmware again, I honestly can't remember. It won't hurt to try, because if you already have the latest version Hexxeh's tool won't install anything else.

6. Install Downloaders

So If I remembered everything correctly, your Pi should be all set up in terms of basic OS stuff. I followed this guide to install SABnzbd, SickBeard, and CouchPotato. You can also adapt the instructions on there to install Headphones. There are a few things you need to be aware of though. For starters, when you download stuff like SABnzbd or Cheetah, make sure you get the latest versions as the guide is outdated. Next, be aware that the guide has a few errors regarding what directory you're in. Sometimes the author misses a "cd" command so make sure you're putting everything into the correct directory. If you have any questions, just ask. Furthermore, the unrar listed in that guide won't work on the Pi. Instead, follow the instructions I posted here. Finally, the provided version of pyOpenSSL doesn't work. I'm still working on that, and I'm pretty lost.

That should do it. Hopefully I didn't leave anything out.

Shane-O-Mac fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jul 22, 2012

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.
Anyone know of a webcam that works with Wheezy out of the box?

Edit: Preferably with UVCCapture.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Just wanted to chime in to say that RaspBMC has been working really well for me. Haven't come across a file that it wouldn't play well.

The only slightly annoying issue is that the sound in the beginning takes a few seconds before it gets going for some reason (it stays in sync w/ video once it starts), and then the last couple seconds of video just freeze-frames and the audio cuts out.

I've been using it with the official XBMC Remote for Android, which is really nice.

Shane-O-Mac
May 24, 2006

JonTheDon posted:

By the way, if you get it working I'd love to know your download speed and compare it to mine.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

quote:

RS Components

We are pleased to confirm that your shipment / parcel is being sent to
you with DHL Express on 23/07/2012.

Wooooh! I guess this means it was shipped!

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
I got the "You’ve Registered – Now it’s time to order!" email from Newark about 3 weeks ago, and it still says they can't handle my order yet. Should I bother waiting for them any longer, or just order from Allied Electronics?

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

If anyone is interested in a super fancy milled aluminum case, there is an indiegogo campaign for one here http://www.indiegogo.com/arcol-raspi

This guy is also active in the reprap 3d printer community and has produced some of the nicest hotends(for extruding molten plastic filament).

ExtremeODD
Jul 16, 2005
Has anyone else had issues with xbmc? I use their tool on my sd card but when it goes to download it upon booting it either goes into a reboot loop where it constantly fails and reboots or I get nonstop errors... Im thinking it may be a bad sd card despite arch and wheezy working no problems. Tempted to sell the one I have and just wait for my 2nd one to arrive later this year with the hopes some software issues are worked out.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Cockmaster posted:

I got the "You’ve Registered – Now it’s time to order!" email from Newark about 3 weeks ago, and it still says they can't handle my order yet. Should I bother waiting for them any longer, or just order from Allied Electronics?

I had this same issue so I ordered from AE. I think now though if you just go to the Newark site and look up Raspberry Pi you can place an order.

herakles
Jan 17, 2009

peepsalot posted:

If anyone is interested in a super fancy milled aluminum case, there is an indiegogo campaign for one here http://www.indiegogo.com/arcol-raspi

This guy is also active in the reprap 3d printer community and has produced some of the nicest hotends(for extruding molten plastic filament).

That looks super cool, but wouldn't there be shorting concerns with a metallic case?

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

herakles posted:

That looks super cool, but wouldn't there be shorting concerns with a metallic case?

Sure, but that's easy to fix with either a plastic insulation sheet or by designing it so there's standoffs that keep the board from shorting against the metal.

Having a metal case is often desired anyway, since it works as a RF shield both protecting the board from crashing due to RF interference and from interfering with radios and sensors nearby. If it's properly grounded it also helps protect the board from static shock damage.

Although it probably doesn't matter that much for a low-power device like the Pi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JonTheDon
Sep 16, 2005

Shane-O-Mac posted:

By the way, if you get it working I'd love to know your download speed and compare it to mine.
Thanks, will hopefully give it a go this upcoming weekend.

I don't know whether to try overclocking at some point, overvolting invalidates any warranty, but from what I've read, it will likely still work for many years overvolted at a reasonable level, people have them running at 1Ghz.