Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

He doesn't have any super armor moves AFAIK. His R-Action apparently has a really weird catch-hit effect that sort of behaves like a guard point though I guess? And his slow command grab, super command grab, and chair super all have invincibility.

Edit: Okay I didn't see this mentioned anywhere but I guess everyone can be used as a Navigator now? Because I've seen Yosuke and Aigis selectable too.

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jul 11, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Atlus' moveset videos are complete now, we got Teddie. (edit: Unless they're doing videos for the Labryses and Elizabeth, which they could indeed be doing)

Looks like he could be an interesting character, I'm not so sure about 'good'.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jul 12, 2012

Antillese
Feb 16, 2006

So what's the story on Chie's and Teddy's B+D counter? It's like a counter that will get you out of block stun, do a bit of damage and will cause you to take blue damage? I take it that the blue damage requirement is the disincentive to B+D counter every single hit?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Antillese posted:

So what's the story on Chie's and Teddy's B+D counter? It's like a counter that will get you out of block stun, do a bit of damage and will cause you to take blue damage? I take it that the blue damage requirement is the disincentive to B+D counter every single hit?

Their B+D action functions exactly like a parry in any other fighting game.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Antillese posted:

Their B+D is a counter move, not a guard cancel. It doesn't not get you out of blockstun.

The blue life damage is part of the disincentive to spamming it constantly though yes.

Waterbed posted:

Their B+D action functions exactly like a parry in any other fighting game.

Not really, because you can parry during guard stun in 3S, for example.

Cleretic posted:

Looks like he could be an interesting character, I'm not so sure about 'good'.

Teddie is pretty darn good, he's been steadily moving up the ranks over the months as well. He has some great normals, specials, and supers. The barrel is pretty loving amazing all by itself.

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jul 12, 2012

Dogbutt
Nov 26, 2011

Look at my face.

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

As well as a bunch of other silhouettes... One of which looks to me like Nanjou/Nate's. I wonder...

Where did you see these silhouettes?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

That's why I didn't mention 3s :) Special move counters are in many games.

Antillese
Feb 16, 2006

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Their B+D is a counter move, not a guard cancel. It doesn't not get you out of blockstun.

The blue life damage is part of the disincentive to spamming it constantly though yes.

So you have to have it up before your opponent's move would hit you ala Hakumen's D button counter or Dudley's counters?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Waterbed posted:

That's why I didn't mention 3s :) Special move counters are in many games.

Well, you said "parry", which to me infers 3S style parries. I've never heard special move counters refereed to as parries before. Did they used to call them that or somesuch?

Antillese posted:

So you have to have it up before your opponent's move would hit you ala Hakumen's D button counter or Dudley's counters?

Yup.

To get technical, all of the counter R-Actions in this game have 0F startup before they can counter something, so as long as you can leave guard stun you can counter the next move. They do however, also all have startup on the followup AFTER the counter. So they can be baited and punished with the right kinds of moves or setups.

Naoto's R-Action will counter literally anything, throws, normals, projectiles. I think Teddie's and Chie's might be the same, but I don't remember for sure.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Dogbutt posted:

Where did you see these silhouettes?

Looks like it's part of a cutscene.

Linking because while I don't know the context, this might be spoiler-y

Looks like Junpei in the hat to the right of Mitsuru, same general silhouette and pose. Some of the others look like they should be recognizable, but not by me.

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCP9Mypba1U

Persona 4 Arena Opening.

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'

Cleretic posted:

Looks like Junpei in the hat to the right of Mitsuru, same general silhouette and pose. Some of the others look like they should be recognizable, but not by me.

Directly behind Junpei(If that is him, but it's very likely it is him with the baseball cap and all) looks to be Yukari to me, and the girl on the far left seems like Fuuka too me.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Something creepy about Rise licking her lips at the thought of her friends beating the poo poo out of each other until one is unconscious.

Dogbutt
Nov 26, 2011

Look at my face.

Cleretic posted:

I feel like the woman on the farthest right is Eriko. But maybe I'm just crazy. But who's the guy crossing his arms in the front area of the picture? I think I see a beard.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

I wanna say the guy to the left is Ekichi, but that would be bananas

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I'd love to see how Eikichi turned out in the future, as apparently P3 claims he managed to both work out his daddy issues to become a sushi chef AND became a pretty boy rockstar. That'd be weird and probably neat.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
I played this for a few hours on and off today. Really enjoying it. Was going to hold off on buying it, but this convinced me to pre-order it.

Lots of creative characters.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Pre-order for $48, free shipping (It's quite a way's down). Codes only last until the end of Sunday. I don't think Newegg packages the soundtrack, though.

Level Slide fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jul 14, 2012

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

Sweet, thanks! I was planning on pre-ordering, and 20% off was just the incentive I was looking for. It does look like it has the pre-order CD too AFAIK, so those on the fence should pull the trigger.

E: Because I haven't seen much posted on him, how does Yosuke look? I read he was bottom tier in the original version, but haven't heard much since after the patch.

Manoueverable fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jul 14, 2012

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Cleretic posted:

Third from the left almost looks like Ulala to me. Same sort of hair and clothing, unless I'm skipping something here. Fuuka's posture and hairstyle seem to fit the figure on the far left. The largest silhouette on the right looks very much like Yukino to me, but she hasn't used such restrained fashion for a number of years. Besides those, the only ones that seem easy to pick out are Junpei and Yukari.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Manoueverable posted:

E: Because I haven't seen much posted on him, how does Yosuke look? I read he was bottom tier in the original version, but haven't heard much since after the patch.

He was rated pretty low near the start, but he moved up in tiers after that. I think he was midish last I heard anything. Only one person has qualified for SBO with him though, unfortunately.

He seems pretty drat good overall but I guess he suffers a bit from lower HP and a bad R-Action. When he's Sukukaja'ed he looks almost as obnoxiously hard to defend against as Aigis.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

Wait... this loving game is region-locked? So, since I live in Europe but bought my PS3 while living in Japan, I'd have to buy a Japanese copy for a ridiculous price, then pay about $30-40 more due to Customs charges.

Thanks a lot Atlus, I was looking forward to this game :(

demons.
Apr 20, 2012

Owned.

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

thorsilver posted:

Wait... this loving game is region-locked? So, since I live in Europe but bought my PS3 while living in Japan, I'd have to buy a Japanese copy for a ridiculous price, then pay about $30-40 more due to Customs charges.

Thanks a lot Atlus, I was looking forward to this game :(

You could always buy a EU PS3 and then wait 8 months before they officially announce that its not coming over :getin:

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Ybrik posted:

You could always buy a EU PS3 and then wait 8 months before they officially announce that its not coming over :getin:

Seriously though, Atlus (I dunno if US or JAP) can go gently caress right off. That region lock was only mandated purely to keep an economy which, really, should fall like the house of cards it is, propped up.

Of all the companies I expected the PS3 Region Lock axe to drop from, Atlus was the last. Frankly, they should be ashamed of themselves.

Or create an Atlus Europe and solve all of this bullshit, but I suppose it's easier to just feel sorry for yourself, isn't it?

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jul 15, 2012

Dogbutt
Nov 26, 2011

Look at my face.

The Grimace posted:

The largest silhouette on the right looks very much like Yukino to me, but she hasn't used such restrained fashion for a number of years.

I doubt it could be her because the fact she gave her Persona away to Jun. So she can't even use a Persona

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Dogbutt posted:

I doubt it could be her because the fact she gave her Persona away to Jun. So she can't even use a Persona

Yeah, but that whole plotline goes kaput when Innocent Sin starts. I assume she would regain control of her powers under the changed plot, since Jun, Eikichi, and Lisa remembering their powers could trigger their memories of each other and start the apocalypse again. It's kind of up in the air in my head.

EQFiddleCastrol
Sep 19, 2002

YO YO YO -- this is a shout-out to my fellow BBB's (Big Booty Bitches). Love you Celestie and Linds :)

ConanThe3rd posted:

Or create an Atlus Europe and solve all of this bullshit, but I suppose it's easier to just feel sorry for yourself, isn't it?

yes it certainly seems to be

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Ybrik posted:

Didn't they say the EU version would be out within two weeks of the other versions?

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Didn't they say the EU version would be out within two weeks of the other versions?

So it would seem. I thought they had only announced US/JP release dates so far. It comes out on August 31st according to amazon.uk

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Yes. The European version is slated for release on August 31.
e: Whoops, too slow.

Cleretic posted:

I'm not sure those are supposed to "be" any characters in particular (except Mitsuru, obviously).

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jul 16, 2012

Dweller
Sep 6, 2008

Ybrik posted:

So it would seem. I thought they had only announced US/JP release dates so far. It comes out on August 31st according to amazon.uk

Latest news I've heard is that they're "working towards" an August 31st release http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-07-06-persona-4-arena-ps3-and-xbox-360-region-locked but nothing's set in stone. If this thing's really got a 30-40 hour story mode, it'd be pretty amazing if they managed to localise it into French, German, etc. and still make that date. Especially since Zen were only announced as publishers around the end of May.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I seem to recall that was their justification for the region lock - because the game's dual-language, and because it's getting a more-or-less simultaneous worldwide release, they're region-locking it in order to make sure their effort pays off. Whether or not that's justified, I don't know.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

Ybrik posted:

Yeah, I suspect that 31 August date is going to be total bullshit, so I'll probably end up dragging a copy of this back in my suitcase from JP at some distant point long after people have stopped playing this game, but oh well.

ConanThe3rd posted:

Of all the companies I expected the PS3 Region Lock axe to drop from, Atlus was the last. Frankly, they should be ashamed of themselves.

Seriously. If the day comes now that companies find it acceptable to start region-locking to protect region price-fixing on a console that's region-free by default, we'll be able to lay the blame at Atlus' feet. And for a company that has built a fanbase by catering to an especially aware group of import-happy gamers, that seems like an incredibly stupid move.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

TurnipFritter posted:

I'm not sure those are supposed to "be" any characters in particular (except Mitsuru, obviously).

I thought that at first too, but I think they're too distinct to be that. If they're meant to be just generic figures, why would they have distinguishing characteristics like the baseball cap, clearly different hairstyles, and varied styles of dress? It's just slightly too much effort to go through for throwaway silhouettes.

My running theory is that while we aren't supposed to read anything into it, the artist used silhouettes of established characters possibly just to gently caress with us but most likely because it was less work.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

I think they purposely used silhouettes of established characters and characters with interesting hairstyles and clothing in order to get people talking on who they could be for future DLC.

And I think it worked.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Here's a really pimp Teddie combo video showing off some item specific combos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O744EONlaKU

Some odd non-legit combos in there though, and a few interesting resets.

I wonder if there's anything to those weird AoA resets like at 3:05 where he hits with the first hit of the AoA and then the combo drops before the rest of it connects.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

thorsilver posted:

If the day comes now that companies find it acceptable to start region-locking to protect region price-fixing on a console that's region-free by default, we'll be able to lay the blame at Atlus' feet. And for a company that has built a fanbase by catering to an especially aware group of import-happy gamers, that seems like an incredibly stupid move.
No one pitched a bitch fit at NIS for the turnaround time for Disgaea 4 (six months) so, really, the need ATLUS thinks there is to get the game out such that they got press ganged into this and potentially black ball their name in doing so is largely in thier heads.

Not that it helps Tanaka McBadatbusiness from doing his bit in loving over the Japanese economy in the name of his precious business school 'cause heaven forbid something in japan doesn't cost your firstborn.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

ConanThe3rd posted:

No one pitched a bitch fit at NIS for the turnaround time for Disgaea 4 (six months) so, really, the need ATLUS thinks there is to get the game out such that they got press ganged into this and potentially black ball their name in doing so is largely in thier heads.

Not that it helps Tanaka McBadatbusiness from doing his bit in loving over the Japanese economy in the name of his precious business school 'cause heaven forbid something in japan doesn't cost your firstborn.

Calm down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
Are all versions of the game region locked? because their excuse is the Japanese folks would import their game from America because it costs way less (and later Europe I suppose), so I don't see why they wouldn't just region lock the American version and let the Japanese version be region free. I'm sure it wouldn't have english text, but for super fans and/or big fighting game fans I doubt they'd care.

• Locked thread