Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

futurememory
Oct 22, 2011

"You're a bad man! You're a VERY bad man!"
So I found this list of Japanese variety shows, many of which I'd never heard of.

Some sound pretty hilarious, especially "Explosion of Laughs," (Akan Keisatsu) featuring some more Downtown.

Has anyone ever seen any of these shows, and are they worth seeking out?

There's a J-Drama list on that website as well.

I feel like in terms of translations out there, the Korean shows have a huge leg-up on the Japanese ones currently. Especially when it comes to variety.

futurememory fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jun 20, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
If it wasn't for Downtown this thread would be like 2 pages max. Those batsu games are the intro to Japanese comedy for practically every foreigner. Either that or the chinko game video.

Bad Bromance
May 20, 2010

Sorry, guys, I actually do still suck dick! :blush: Also my mom only lets me spend five bucks a month to get my cool gaga avatars back so I guess I'm stuck with this one for a while. :(
Well here's an interesting video from about a week and a half ago, in case anyone who reads this thread doesn't follow the blogs. An episode of lincoln about a comedian spending a week trying to be a rapper

http://jburogu-godzillaradio.blogspot.ca/2012/06/video-subbing-nakagawakes-tsuyoshi.html

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Crotch Bat posted:

If it wasn't for Downtown this thread would be like 2 pages max. Those batsu games are the intro to Japanese comedy for practically every foreigner. Either that or the chinko game video.

Idunno man, Hard Gay ranks up there pretty high for "weird Japanese tv thing I saw on youtube once" for most foreigners.

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

DOGOLD, I WANT YOU TO CALL AN AM-BOO-LANCE AND WHEN THEY GET HUR I WANT YOU TO TELL THEM TO
KEEP SMILING!

Crotch Bat posted:

Yugawara is insanely underrated due in part to having gone so long without full, correct subs. I love that one, it always cracks me up.

Yugawara is probably my favorite, but there's one part of it I've never been able to figure out. It's the part in the temple when Suga comes out dressed like Neo with one of those "Caucasian" noses and screams "HELLOOOOOOOOO TOKYO! HELLOOOOOOO YU. GA. WA. RA!" I think his character's name was listed as Thomas MacGregor, but I've never found who that's supposed to be. Maybe I'm just ignorant!

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Paper Lion posted:

Idunno man, Hard Gay ranks up there pretty high for "weird Japanese tv thing I saw on youtube once" for most foreigners.

Yea but Hard Gay doesn't have the "man, I gotta see if there's more" appeal to it like the batsu do, which is what I meant.

toomanyninjas posted:

Yugawara is probably my favorite, but there's one part of it I've never been able to figure out. It's the part in the temple when Suga comes out dressed like Neo with one of those "Caucasian" noses and screams "HELLOOOOOOOOO TOKYO! HELLOOOOOOO YU. GA. WA. RA!" I think his character's name was listed as Thomas MacGregor, but I've never found who that's supposed to be. Maybe I'm just ignorant!

I thought it was Ewan MacGregor but he's dressed like Keanu Reeves in The Matrix so I don't know. If it is Ewan then I'm guessing it stems from either an appearance or a well known commercial(Japan loves to use overseas celebs to promote various random products).

phourniner
Feb 19, 2007

When you're in a town like this all covered with smoke, you forget that there's a world outside. Nothing amazing happens here. And you get used to that, used to a world where everything is ordinary. Every day we spend here is like a whole lifetime of dying slowly.

Crotch Bat posted:

(Japan loves to use overseas celebs to promote various random products).

Oh god, Japanese commercials featuring American celebs are the greatest.

This one is probably the most notable. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ui_6jBMSU9s

And I just found this next one, which is amazing for the clearly dubbed Japanese voiceover. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bW_cHfnOXM

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

DOGOLD, I WANT YOU TO CALL AN AM-BOO-LANCE AND WHEN THEY GET HUR I WANT YOU TO TELL THEM TO
KEEP SMILING!
This Tommy Lee Jones "Bark at the Sun" commercial has long been my favorite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08foUOtIVyg

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

toomanyninjas posted:

This Tommy Lee Jones "Bark at the Sun" commercial has long been my favorite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08foUOtIVyg

Holy poo poo that's amazing. Tommy Lee Jones and "Bark at the Sun"? Yes, please.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

Crotch Bat posted:

Yea but Hard Gay doesn't have the "man, I gotta see if there's more" appeal to it like the batsu do, which is what I meant.

It's the opposite for me. I've never seen a full batsu show and that thing with Yoiko was the first time I'd ever seen Downtown. Seeing Hard Gay helping the community eventually led me to HUSTLE, the greatest pro wrestling company ever. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvn2fupHLPg

futurememory
Oct 22, 2011

My intro to Japanese comedy was actually Hard Gay, a good 6-7 years ago. I just never went any further down the rabbit hole than that. This thread is actually what introduced me to Gaki, even though I had seen the tongue twister clip and the marshmallow chip in the past. I was kind of shocked to learn that the guys in those clips were my Gaki boys, and they became even more hilarious after learning what their comedic personas are like.

Anyway, I adore it when our culture smashes up against theirs. It feels just surreal and otherworldly. I absolutely love this chip of Britney Spears on Hey! Hey! Hey! performing "Womanizer." It's so bizarre to see her standing in between Matsumoto and Hamada, and her reactions to their antics. Make sure to watch until 2:35 for a surprise American celebrity cameo.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

Bad Bromance posted:

Well here's an interesting video from about a week and a half ago, in case anyone who reads this thread doesn't follow the blogs. An episode of lincoln about a comedian spending a week trying to be a rapper

http://jburogu-godzillaradio.blogspot.ca/2012/06/video-subbing-nakagawakes-tsuyoshi.html

Nice! Was looking for more Suberanai Hanashi ever since I saw a clip of it on Daily Motion.

Recently finished watching the Airport Batsu episode. It's amazing how crazier it gets as it goes on.

futurememory
Oct 22, 2011

So, some pretty fantastic news. I've contacted GodzillaRadio and it seems like he might be up for subbing some Denpa Shonen, specifically, Nasubi's trials.

He's currently on a break right now, but since the eps are shorter than what he usually translates, he might be able to give it a go!

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

Suberanai Hanashi 4 was subbed recently. Really enjoy these clips but didn't know they were as old as 2005, wow.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
The big six hour No Laughing games, are those shown all at once, or are they broken up into episodes over several nights?

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Detective Thompson posted:

The big six hour No Laughing games, are those shown all at once, or are they broken up into episodes over several nights?

It's a New Year's Day special for them, they power through it all. A week or so later they'll air more episodes which are composed of cut footage from the batsu.

On another note, I highly recommend http://jburogu-godzillaradio.blogspot.com/2012/06/video-subbing-gaki-no-tsukai-ya.html for your viewing needs. This features the 5 driving and listening to songs from their youth and telling stories. Included in the stories is the beginning of Cocorico, which I'd never heard before so it's a great watch. It's actually a pretty touching story with a happy ending. :)

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
I've never been really interested in Japan, despite even watching and liking an anime or two, but Gaki no Tsukai and a couple episodes of GameCenter CX prompted me to look up a bunch of Japanese culture stuff on wikipedia, and Google streetview. Japan's weird and cool.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The Batsu stuff is hilarious. I showed them to my wife and she loves them.

Those kinds of games would never be popular in the US though which is a shame. I mean I think people would like them, but I bet the cost of getting all the work and celebrities and gags going would be astronomical compared to what they do. Plus, good luck finding someone willing to go through a No-Laughing or 24 hour tag.

Japan has really nailed the entertaining game show though.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Personally I've been waiting to see a surge of "homebrew" batsu style games happening on youtube or something. People imitate Jackass and stuff often enough, I'm surprised I haven't seen it happen yet.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
recently I saw some show that literally copied off of the No making sound in the library batsu game but it was with kids, and of course it had some pretty lame punishments which I can't remember. It reminded me that it can NEVER be perfect if it's nor with the gaki team.

Or at least with the guys from jackass but it wouldn't be the same since they do things equal or worse.

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

I've misunderstood what a lion is.

Grimey Drawer

Dizz posted:

recently I saw some show that literally copied off of the No making sound in the library batsu game but it was with kids, and of course it had some pretty lame punishments which I can't remember. It reminded me that it can NEVER be perfect if it's nor with the gaki team.

Or at least with the guys from jackass but it wouldn't be the same since they do things equal or worse.

That's probably the Mtv2 version of Silent Library. I haven't seen more than a couple minutes of it, but I think there's money and prizes involved with it, based on how long the table/teams/people last.

And yeah, it's a far cry from the original.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The thing is, I don't see a direct connection to Jackass on this. Jackass has funny moments but its "WHO CAN BE THE CRAZIEST!". Batsu games seem to have physical punishments to be sure, but they aren't generally involved in being super dangerous or painful for the sake of being dangerous or painful. Sure they get a Thai Kick but they aren't jousting in shopping carts. The punishments aren't generally the source of comedy, getting caught and "out" are the sources of comedy.

Dick Boat
Jul 3, 2009

Pulse Demon

Heipo Horror was posted on Godzilla Radio. It's pretty funny, I can't tell if Heipo is acting or just a huge man baby.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Nobody outrules the Marquise de Cat!
I tend to think Heipo really is that sensitive to anticipation of fear. It's too good of a reaction to be faked.

Did anyone ever do subtitles for Trivia no Izumi? I can't even find the Spike TV episodes.

El Generico fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jul 27, 2012

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

El Generico posted:

I tend to think Heipo really is that sensitive to anticipation of fear. It's too good of a reaction to be faked.

Did anyone ever do subtitles for Trivia no Izumi? I can't even find the Spike TV episodes.

My sister's ex-girlfriend was just like this - which we found out when we all went to see the Ring one day. It was most excruciatingly embarrassing / hilarious experiences I've ever had.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

So there was a tv show I wanted to check out. All I remember is the guy wore a yellow suit and yellow hat, kinda like dick tracy.

Anyone know?

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Ineffiable posted:

So there was a tv show I wanted to check out. All I remember is the guy wore a yellow suit and yellow hat, kinda like dick tracy.

Anyone know?

Curious George?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Ragequit posted:

Curious George?

It was specifically a Japanese drama. Wait, did curious George get a tv show in Japan? I wouldnt be surprised.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
:lol: Endo stops using Frisk mints, tries chocolate bats, and it's still awful.

(Absolutely Tasty: Mixed Rice)

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

KingShiro posted:

:lol: Endo stops using Frisk mints, tries chocolate bats, and it's still awful.

(Absolutely Tasty: Mixed Rice)

Got a link for this one?

(Second mixed rice episode they made, first one began with Endo's beer + edame combo)

e: Oh, answered my own question after doing a ctrl-f on gakifiles a bit deeper, second rice game under absolutely tasty is the one, and not the rice+snacks video

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Aug 2, 2012

Bad Bromance
May 20, 2010

Sorry, guys, I actually do still suck dick! :blush: Also my mom only lets me spend five bucks a month to get my cool gaga avatars back so I guess I'm stuck with this one for a while. :(
Just found a subbed episode of Million Kazoku, with Endo and Tanaka. A family tries to win a million yen by having their youngest daughter figure out which Ranger is her dad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EXZqn9HtKc

Haven't seen much of this show online, except for the unsubbed celebrity special hide and seek inside a huge mall

E:
Oh, what do you know, it is!
V V V

Bad Bromance fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Aug 4, 2012

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Bad Bromance posted:

Just found a subbed episode of Million Kazoku, with Endo and Tanaka. A family tries to win a million yen by having their youngest daughter figure out which Ranger is her dad.

Haven't seen much of this show online, except for the unsubbed celebrity special hide and seek inside a huge mall

I am like 99% sure that got subbed.

e: I checked, I have it in my Gaki folder. It's out there!

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Aug 4, 2012

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Bad Bromance posted:

Watched that the other day, it was brilliant. SCORPIONS :gonk:

Here's part 1 for anyone else who wants it! Other parts are in the related videos.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!

Bad Bromance posted:

This clip has music from Jet Set Radio in it :O

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!

eating only apples posted:

Watched that the other day, it was brilliant. SCORPIONS :gonk:

Here's part 1 for anyone else who wants it! Other parts are in the related videos.

Really sad Yamazaki lost :(

I've also been going through a batsu game binge recently. Someone linked me to 24 hour tag and it was love from first sight.

X_ThePerfect
Jul 31, 2010
Is there a torrent or somesuch containing the gakifiles videos?
I've been trying to make the most of my free time and get through as much as I can, but for a lot of the smaller videos the download sites appear to be atrocious, so any alternative would be appreciated.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
I have noscript and adblock, and all I have to do is wait for the 5 seconds to get through the ad site for the videos.

WonderfulWino
Sep 26, 2004

The grape wont cut me loose.
Last week I binged on all 22 episodes of World Downtown. I laughed so hard and often I was sore for several days.

futurememory
Oct 22, 2011

WonderfulWino posted:

Last week I binged on all 22 episodes of World Downtown. I laughed so hard and often I was sore for several days.

What's World Downtown about? I watched the first 5 minutes of the first episode but I was unsure if I was grasping what the core concept of the show was.

Also, going through the Hospital Batsu right now for the first time and it's hilarious. When Nakamura busted out in the West Side Story parody I laughed so hard!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

futurememory posted:

What's World Downtown about? I watched the first 5 minutes of the first episode but I was unsure if I was grasping what the core concept of the show was.

Also, going through the Hospital Batsu right now for the first time and it's hilarious. When Nakamura busted out in the West Side Story parody I laughed so hard!

Real Downtown on fake news show. Kinda.

From my understanding they've made a fake news show, hired some white people and then dub over them in Japanese so it's Downtown doing a "news" show and interacting with foreigners.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Aug 8, 2012