Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

Lovie Unsmith posted:

Unless I'm looking in the wrong place, I don't have that but I do have "Hide from Exchange address lists" which I just unchecked. Am I on the right track?

That should resolve your issue. So yes you're all aboard the exchange administrator choo-choo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

What that does is enable users to send an email to all 520 contacts in that list. What they need is to be able to pick and choose any of those contacts to send to as needed, just like their own contacts.

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

Lovie Unsmith posted:

What that does is enable users to send an email to all 520 contacts in that list. What they need is to be able to pick and choose any of those contacts to send to as needed, just like their own contacts.

Ahh, then what sanchez was telling you do was correct.

http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/MF018.html

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Found that setting, it was on the client when I was looking on the server. So I see it working for the user who created it, and I added permissions for another user, my question now is how to get that user's client (Outlook 2010) to have access to that address book.

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
Does anyone have any guides on how to set up a test Exchange environment?

I have a single instance of ESXi to work with, but would prefer to keep everything on a single vm since I don't have that many resources to work with.

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

Wicaeed posted:

Does anyone have any guides on how to set up a test Exchange environment?

I have a single instance of ESXi to work with, but would prefer to keep everything on a single vm since I don't have that many resources to work with.

If you have to stick it all on one box download the VHD from MS
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5002

It would be worth doing it on multiple boxes to experience the certificate, iis configuration and etc that doesn't occur if you stick all the rolls on one box

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
EDIT: Wrong thread, sorry everyone.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Not a technical question but a more human relations question (I have autism): How do I get company leadership to embrace the idea of mailbox storage limits and how do I get them to actually reduce their mailbox sizes? I can show them the numbers (how much it's costing to back up) but I feel like they won't care. There are no mailbox size limits in place at the moment.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Chillbro Swaggins posted:

Not a technical question but a more human relations question (I have autism): How do I get company leadership to embrace the idea of mailbox storage limits and how do I get them to actually reduce their mailbox sizes? I can show them the numbers (how much it's costing to back up) but I feel like they won't care. There are no mailbox size limits in place at the moment.

For me, I always find RTO / RPO arguments to be the winners.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recovery_point_objective
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recovery_time_objective

If you have a huge datastore, if anything goes wrong you are looking at days of downtime, not hours (RTO). The larger the datastore, the higher chance of something going wrong. And because backups take forever, you can have a very large gap of missing emails (RPO). Granted, there are things you can do to help alleviate this type of stuff. HA Exchange, SAN Snapshots, etc.

But to simplify, I like to use an analogy that most people understand. Email is arguably the most important tool in any business today. The email server is a finely tuned machine that needs to be run properly, with regular maintenance. Say something along the lines of - I am your email server mechanic telling you that these are the things that need to be done for "properly" and "regular maintenance" to be true.

Help them implement an automated email archiving solution and the "but it's hard to deal with old emails!!!" argument will go away.

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jun 25, 2012

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Internet Explorer posted:

Help them implement an automated email archiving solution and the "but it's hard to deal with old emails!!!" argument will go away.

Like what? Do Exchange online archive and then not back up the archive db? No way that will fly.

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

Like what? Do Exchange online archive and then not back up the archive db? No way that will fly.

Jatheon, GFI Mail Archiver, Metalogix, etc. They make it completely transparent to the user and do dedupe and compression, better indexing, compliance holds, etc on the old emails also since the archived stuff doesn't need to be at best performance you can use lower end hardware and also cut back on the amount of hardware that is needed for exchange.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Nebulis01 posted:

Jatheon, GFI Mail Archiver, Metalogix, etc. They make it completely transparent to the user and do dedupe and compression, better indexing, compliance holds, etc on the old emails also since the archived stuff doesn't need to be at best performance you can use lower end hardware and also cut back on the amount of hardware that is needed for exchange.

I know literally nothing about third party mail archiving solutions so I will look into this... thank you

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
How much mail are we talking about? Usually outlook will slow to a crawl due to the mailbox item count before exchange cares.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

sanchez posted:

How much mail are we talking about? Usually outlook will slow to a crawl due to the mailbox item count before exchange cares.

it's about 200gb database right now

Exchange doesn't care at all, right now it's just taking forever to back up that's the problem

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

A 200 GB database should not be taking forever to backup. Our 300GB store takes about 4 hours to do a full backup on, and that is with old LTO-3 tapes, and minimal effort into making that backup "speedy."

If all you care about is backup speed, I would start with solving that problem. Does the server have enough I/O, is it CPU starved, how are you backing it up, etc.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Internet Explorer posted:

A 200 GB database should not be taking forever to backup. Our 300GB store takes about 4 hours to do a full backup on, and that is with old LTO-3 tapes, and minimal effort into making that backup "speedy."

If all you care about is backup speed, I would start with solving that problem. Does the server have enough I/O, is it CPU starved, how are you backing it up, etc.

Yeah I think you're right. Looks like backups are running at about 500mb/minute for the exchange job when other jobs are at 1500mb/min.

I'll check this out......

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Yeah I think you're right. Looks like backups are running at about 500mb/minute for the exchange job when other jobs are at 1500mb/min.

I'll check this out......
How are you backing it up? BackupExec? If BE, are you using GRT?

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

nexxai posted:

How are you backing it up? BackupExec? If BE, are you using GRT?

yes (2010 R3) and yes

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
I'm trying to change the Subject Alternate Names on my cert but I can't get Exchange to import it. I tried to do a Renew on the original cert and a a whole new cert in EMC. The certificate is imported without any errors but the status remains at Pending in EMC.

The certificate provider is certificatesforexchange.com. I tried to use the Manage UCC interface to add and remove SANs, and also pasting the CSR into the box in the interface. Adding/removing stuff caused a new cert to be generated, but pasting didn't (because the SANs didn't change?).

Do I need to revoke the certificate and start over? Their site says not revoke if you're going to re-key.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

yes (2010 R3) and yes

GRT backs up each mail item as an individual record, and queries each message through exchange to do so. It's very, very slow.

Unless you need the granular restore ability, turn it off. For instance, I have it off, and instead lengthened the retention times in the exchange (2010) database to 30 days. Now, I get fast backups, and can recover email easily. For me, tapes are more disaster recovery, and much less file/item recovery (I use over provisioning and VSS for most of that stuff, much quicker and easier)

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

EoRaptor posted:

GRT backs up each mail item as an individual record, and queries each message through exchange to do so. It's very, very slow.

Unless you need the granular restore ability, turn it off. For instance, I have it off, and instead lengthened the retention times in the exchange (2010) database to 30 days. Now, I get fast backups, and can recover email easily. for me, tapes are more disaster recovery, and much less file/item recovery (I use over provisioning and VSS for most of that stuff, much quicker and easier)

I agree that GRT may slow things down, but our backups that I quoted earlier in the thread are using GRT and they still backup at a fairly brisk pace. Although we are using BE 12.5 ad the Exchange target is Exchange 2003 on Windows 2003. Not sure if any of that would make a difference.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
I'm guessing no one cares much about my Exchange migration struggle but I really hate it when you find someone with the exact same problem and they never post the solution.

I ran into some bugs with the last free version of imapsync and paid 42 euros for the latest version. Here is the command line I used to migrate messages from postfix/dovecot to Exchange 2010. Exchange seems to rewrite the message when it is received so you have to restrict which headers are used for comparison or you'll get duplicates every time it's run. This also makes the faster --useuid cache mode useless. This version can be run once ahead of time to get the bulk of the mail moved and then again right when migrating the user to get the recent changes.

code:
imapsync
--host1 <OLD HOST> --user1 %1 --password1 "%2" \
--authmech2 PLAIN \
--host2 <NEW HOST> --user2 %1 --password2 "%2" \
--authmech2 PLAIN \
--regextrans2 s#^Sent#"Sent Items"# \
--regextrans2 s#^Trash$#"Deleted Items"# \
--useheader "Message-ID" --useheader "Received" \
--nofoldersizes
You can use an admin user if you don't know (or don't reset) the user passwords. I'm resetting passwords for other reasons so I didn't bother.

para
Nov 30, 2006
I have a somewhat complex Exchange 2010 configuration and have run into a problem that is probably unusual to most companies.

I have two sites with 3 exchange servers. Site A is the main site and has 2 servers. Site B is the DR site and has one server.

Each server runs all roles, however all clients connect to the CAS in Site A through a load balancer that is configured only for the servers at Site A. Site B just kind of sits there in terms of CAS and edge transport until it is ever needed in a disaster recovery situation.

Our WAN between the two sites only has a 3Mb connection. However each site has 10Mb cable internet connections.

Because replication requires 8Mb, we created a VPN tunnel over the internet and policy routed everything between the 3 servers to go over the internet instead of the WAN.

What we have found is that even though the tunnel allows us to do hot replication without affecting our production WAN environment, it also causes high latency in the clustering service. Because of this we see the node at Site B drop in and out of the cluster rather frequently.

This becomes a problem whenever we need to do maintenance on one of the servers at Site A. If we take a server down at Site A, and the server at Site B drops out of the DAG because of latency problems (or because either of the cable connections goes down), we lose quorum.

What I have done to mitigate this problem is to let all inter-node exchange traffic go over the WAN as normal, then policy route the log shipping and seeding port (64327 per http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb331973.aspx) over the VPN.

This appeared to work, however there is another problem.

Question
When I did this I noticed that there was still a high amount of traffic between Site A and Site B over the WAN, to processes belonging to store.exe.

Why is store.exe transferring so much data to other nodes in the DAG? Isn't all replication and seeding supposed to be handled by msexchangerepl.exe?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Let's say you come across a completely undocumented exchange 2007 server, what is the best way of determining it's inbound and outbound settings?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Corvettefisher posted:

Let's say you come across a completely undocumented exchange 2007 server, what is the best way of determining it's inbound and outbound settings?

For what? Connectors? Open up the Exchange Management console, check hub transport settings under server/organization, respectively. You can find all the crap there.

For stuff like OWA/Autodiscover, you can use the objects in the Client Access headers. Just right click those as well.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Corvettefisher posted:

Would ExchDump get you what you are looking for?

http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Using-Exchange-Dump-Utility-ExchDump.html

edit:

Sifting through the info it pulled from my Exchange server, lots and lots if info, maybe tooooooo much....

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Moey posted:

Would ExchDump get you what you are looking for?

http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Using-Exchange-Dump-Utility-ExchDump.html

edit:

Sifting through the info it pulled from my Exchange server, lots and lots if info, maybe tooooooo much....

Ah thank you!

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
:argh: inspect esmtp :argh:

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
I have a customer with some outlook syncing issues. The mailbox will only sync once per day in the morning. If I delete and recreate their profile, or recreate the OST it will sync the first time then fail afterwords. On a hunch i checked the exchange server logs and found multiple EID: 9646 assosiated with her account.

The user is running in cached mode, the server is exchange 07 and the client is outlook 07.

I have started outlook with disabled addons and no change. The user does have access to 6 mail boxes. ( Her own and 5 others plus calanders for each account). The user is the admin for the board of directors so she does need access to the mail boxes.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

blackswordca posted:

I have a customer with some outlook syncing issues. The mailbox will only sync once per day in the morning. If I delete and recreate their profile, or recreate the OST it will sync the first time then fail afterwords. On a hunch i checked the exchange server logs and found multiple EID: 9646 assosiated with her account.

The user is running in cached mode, the server is exchange 07 and the client is outlook 07.

I have started outlook with disabled addons and no change. The user does have access to 6 mail boxes. ( Her own and 5 others plus calanders for each account). The user is the admin for the board of directors so she does need access to the mail boxes.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

how many folders are in all these mailboxes? I know that the OST runs into problems when you reach a certain ridiculous number of folders.

to test, can you remove the 5 other accounts, and see if it still fails all the time

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
Can you uncheck the "Download shared folders" box in outlook where the other mailboxes are defined? I think that'll run any secondary mailbox in online mode.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

sanchez posted:

Can you uncheck the "Download shared folders" box in outlook where the other mailboxes are defined? I think that'll run any secondary mailbox in online mode.

Ive tried that already and i run into the same issue. Im trying to get a hold of the user to reconnect to t heir system and try Chillbro's idea.

Hawkline
May 30, 2002

¡La Raza!
Have you made any headway on this problem? I found it interesting, but don't have any knowledge likely to explain why store.exe is doing a thing. Are you in Datacenter Activation Coordination Mode?

para
Nov 30, 2006

Hawkline posted:

Have you made any headway on this problem? I found it interesting, but don't have any knowledge likely to explain why store.exe is doing a thing. Are you in Datacenter Activation Coordination Mode?
Sort of..

I port mirrored the ports on the switch and duplicated everything to a PC to get a packet capture. I then filtered out everything except for the data between the two local exchange servers and the one server off-site. Did an analysis in Wireshark and found the top 10 conversations and matches the ports with the processes running on each server.

What I found was the store.exe was the process for the local server with all of the databases active. The conversations matched up to processes on the DR server (with un-mounted databases we are replicating to):
  1. Unknown process on remote port 445
  2. Microsoft.Exchange.Search.ExSearch.exe
  3. MsFTEFD.exe
The last two are related to Exchange Search content indexing. The first, after doing some research, also appears to be related to content indexing but I can not be certain.

The last two also always seem to be using either source or destination TCP port 49903. However I am not sure if this can be set and can not find anything on Google as to if this is randomly chosen or not. I need to find a way to either stop this traffic or isolate it so that it can be routed over the VPN tunnel.

However, according to Microsoft (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb232132.aspx) content indexing is only supposed to be replicated during database seeding. Once seeding has completed, indexing is supposed to occur on the local database. When the packet capture was taken there was no database seeding going on.

So, I really haven't gotten anywhere.

I'm not sure what Datacenter Activation Coordination Mode is.

para fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jul 16, 2012

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny
Envrionment:
Internet > Symantec Brightmail SMTP Gateway > Exchange 2003 SP3 (hosts only one mailbox for a legacy service, as well as the Virtual SMTP server > Exchange 2007 SP3 (hosts all other mailboxes and the CAS, Hub Transport and Mailbox roles)

Account1: User mailbox to which users have ‘Send-As’

Group1: a Mail-Enabled Universal Distribution Group

Account2: User mailbox with ‘Send-As’ permission on Account1, also a member of Group1

The public can successfully send email to Account1, and all members of the Group1 receive that email.

Problem:
Today, Account2 sends a blast email as Account1, according to SMTP server (Symantec) 1,790 emails were sent successfully. The Symantec server also processed 40 receive transactions for Account1, but nobody on Group1 has any record of those emails. Exchange 2007 message tracking with the following settings

get-messagetrackinglog -Sender "Account1 " -Server "EXCHCASHUB" -EventID "RECEIVE" -Start "7/16/2012 12:00:00 AM" -End "7/16/2012 3:14:00 PM"

has a number of emails that have been received but nobody in Group1 ever received a copy of the emails.

I have verified that the ‘require that all senders are authenticated’ check box is not ticked in the Message delivery restrictions for Group1

Any ideas where these emails (bounces, out of office,etc) have ended up?

Nebulis01 fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jul 16, 2012

Trinitrotoluene
Dec 25, 2004

Exchange 2013 and Office 2013 preview out http://www.windowsitpro.com/blog/tony-redmonds-exchange-unwashed-50/exchange-server/exchange-2013-outlook-preview-versions-debut-143715

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

Nebulis01 posted:

Some stuff about NDRs and Distribution Groups

Apparently microsoft doesn't support sending NDRs to Distribution Groups or Public Folders. This is by design, my users are going to love this :(

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/817220/en-us

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

This is actually pretty exciting. The public folders features sound both hilarious and good (since it should have worked this way a long time ago.) No coexistence with Exchange 2003 is pretty rough for Small Business Server.

Glad to see Exchange continue to move forward.

Does anyone know if the new console would allow you to hook into, say, Rackspace or another hosted solution?

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

poo poo, there is some nice stuff in here.

Gyshall posted:

Does anyone know if the new console would allow you to hook into, say, Rackspace or another hosted solution?

Based on this I'm guessing yes?

Microsoft posted:

Exchange 2013 Preview provides a single unified management console that allows for ease of use and is optimized for management of on-premises, online, or hybrid deployments. The Exchange Administration Center (EAC) in Exchange 2013 Preview replaces the Exchange 2010 Exchange Management Console (EMC) and the Exchange Control Panel (ECP).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
Double-postin' because the Exchange 2013 Preview docs are worth reading.