Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VocalizePlayerDeath
Jan 29, 2009

Epi Lepi posted:

So has Bethesda given any hints at all about Fallout 4 besides saying that they want to do more Fallout games in general?

EDIT: As a New Yorker, I'd personally love to go back to the East Coast and see what's up in the NY-MA area.

Game developers love foreshadowing here are some of the clues we are given as to the future of the series. Most are from the DLC.

Brand the slave snitch in The Pitt DLC Mentions:
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Erie_Stretch
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Ronto

Multiple characters speak of the Commonwealth and of The Institute.
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Commonwealth
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Institute

Hoping for some Fallout:Vermont personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Playing Skyrim really made me want Fallout: Pacific Northwest :(

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Kharmakazy posted:

I maintain that work on Fallout Marianas: Back in the trenches is already well underway. I would post the details from earlier, but I can't find my post.

Capn Beeb posted:

And with that,

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

And with that,

Shouldn't that be in a circle or something?

Also you forgot Weapon Chat™.

Personally I kinda want a Fallout prequel. But I'm a little bit apprehensive to how that would fly. Eh, maybe it is better that they keep forwarding the timeline. No reason to look back.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

But thou must! posted:

I could be misremembering, but I recall someone at Obsidian saying they originally wanted to make a game set much earlier in the timeline, but Bethesda was unwavering in their policy that all sequels must chronologically move their series' forward.

While I think this is kind of dumb policy to blanket-apply in general, I think it worked out really well in the case of New Vegas. I remember reading a lot of stuff on Van Buren, and I always kind of got put off by the fact that it was supposed to be set in 2253, 9 years since Fallout 2. The NCR would've gone from just southern California all the way to Denver in nine years. A 40 year time-jump in the series carries it own problems, but I think it gives a much more realistic timeframe for the NCR to crawl out of California and expand elsewhere.

Plus, I couldn't of been the only one to catch Obsidians' strategic timeline placement of the 1st battle of the Hoover Dam. East Coast is having a little tussle over a Water Purifier in 2277? Oh that's nice, the West is having a GIGANTIC battle between two established militaries over the biggest source of electricity left in THE WORLD at the same time.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

FauxGateau posted:

Personally I kinda want a Fallout prequel. But I'm a little bit apprehensive to how that would fly. Eh, maybe it is better that they keep forwarding the timeline. No reason to look back.

A post-bombs pre-Fallout prequel would be pretty interesting. Pure more emphasis on scavenging and survival since civilization hasn't had any time to reform yet. Might be hard to make it feel Fallout-y, though.

Ultimately, though, I don't see anything wrong with keeping up the 1, 2, NV progression and just advance the plot a few decades an give us a new Western US sandbox to play in.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Kalos posted:

Ultimately, though, I don't see anything wrong with keeping up the 1, 2, NV progression and just advance the plot a few decades an give us a new Western US sandbox to play in.

I think the problem is that you hit a point where society has rebuilt itself and the struggle is no longer combative, but rather political or technical. Beyond the knee-jerk reaction of, "Well, that could be cool!" it's not really a Fallout game in the sense that the others were. I'm not sure how well a FPS version of the TV show "Jericho" would do.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Capn Beeb posted:

There was some concept art for the now defunct Fallout:Online that included post apocalyptic Seattle.

Not sure how far the game was actually supposed to stretch, but I agree it would be an interesting setting.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

And with that,

And I try and catch it each time it cycles around so I can mention Fallout marianas: back in the trenches each and every time. It's like a pun hell I can never truly escape.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Kalos posted:

A post-bombs pre-Fallout prequel would be pretty interesting. Pure more emphasis on scavenging and survival since civilization hasn't had any time to reform yet. Might be hard to make it feel Fallout-y, though.

Maybe I'm just super scarred by the Star Wars prequels but I just can't get excited by a prequel anything. I just don't see the point of them and the only vaguely well done ones I can think of are the KotOR 1 and 2, and even those aren't really that stellar.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Epi Lepi posted:

Maybe I'm just super scarred by the Star Wars prequels but I just can't get excited by a prequel anything. I just don't see the point of them and the only vaguely well done ones I can think of are the KotOR 1 and 2, and even those aren't really that stellar.
You aren't the only one. I'm pretty much uninterested in anything related to prequels of game series or movies. There's probably some halfdecent stories to be found in a prequel but I already know the endresult, I don't really give a poo poo of how it came to be.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Maneki Neko posted:

the now defunct Fallout:Online

Thank loving Christ for that.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Sylphosaurus posted:

You aren't the only one. I'm pretty much uninterested in anything related to prequels of game series or movies. There's probably some halfdecent stories to be found in a prequel but I already know the endresult, I don't really give a poo poo of how it came to be.

I love prequels personally. If I am interesting in something I am certainly interested in how it got that way. The two main problems with prequels are 1)Most of the time they are just blatant money making operations without any real regard for the material and 2)The die hard fans of a series are impossible to please with prequels due to having established in their minds how things are. Changing or clarifying things in the past invalidates their mental picture of the subject and causes dissonance. Casual fans don't usually have this problem.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Epi Lepi posted:

KOTOR2 is fantastic, you take that back!

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

MrL_JaKiri posted:

KOTOR2 is fantastic, you take that back!

KOTOR 2 would have been fantastic if it had ever been finished. :colbert:

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

The NCR would've gone from just southern California all the way to Denver in nine years.

Not a big deal since civilization in Fallout 2 was mainly just settlements dotted more or less irrespective of each other tied together by caravan lines. Spreading territory would just be a matter of making contact with existing settlements, and showing them that assimilation is mutually beneficial.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Epi Lepi posted:

KOTOR 2 would have been fantastic if it had ever been finished. :colbert:

Even unfinished (which as has been hammered into the ground is the fault of Lucasarts and NOT Obsidian) it's still an absolutely incredible game.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Maneki Neko posted:

There was some concept art for the now defunct Fallout:Online that included post apocalyptic Seattle.

Not sure how far the game was actually supposed to stretch, but I agree it would be an interesting setting.

Going in circles again, but the concept art for Van Buren was pretty neat, with Denver being one if the first places in a Fallout game with actual skyscrapers (that you could seemingly explore, you never did visit Chicago in FO:BoS for some reason). It also had art of interesting and unique locations and I think exploring the traffic clogged freeways would've been creepy and pretty cool.

I'm also going to be one of the apparently few people to come out and defend Bethesda and say that not only did I enjoy Fallout 3 as a whole, I enjoyed exploring the DC ruins, I enjoyed exploring the tangle of subway tunnels below the city and thought that forcing the player to use the crumbling system to get around the debris chocked roadways made sense and was clever. A few more set pieces and some varied art would've been nice, but they only had so much time. I also really enjoyed the 1950's vibe (being a fan of The Twilight Zone) and felt it was the perfect era to juxtapose a hellish nightmare future with; a World-of-Tomorrow gone horribly wrong. One thing Bethesda can do really well is 'show, not tell' with their environments.

Did Fallout: New Vegas do some things better? Course they did, but that doesn't make FO3 suck and hopefully Bethesda takes some of the ideas Obsidian developed and runs with them in Fallout 4.

thehumandignity posted:

Not a big deal since civilization in Fallout 2 was mainly just settlements dotted more or less irrespective of each other tied together by caravan lines. Spreading territory would just be a matter of making contact with existing settlements, and showing them that assimilation is mutually beneficial.

Money is also a powerful driving force. As we could tell from conversation in NV, the NCR had a tendency to show up in places they deemed valuable and tell people they were now part of this wonderful new nation... whither they liked it or not.

Psychotic Weasel fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jul 17, 2012

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It would be cool to see the Fallout world a short while after the bombs fell, but it would be weird as hell to write for everyone as still having that cold war mentality from right before the bombs fell.

Conversely, I'd like to see what becomes of the Fallout world in the future, when people are allowed to live in things that aren't just pre-war ruins or ramshackle constructions made out of pre-war garbage.

Also a Fallout: Not America would be nice, although we only have the game's word for it that the rest of the world got wiped out the same as the U.S..

khy
Aug 15, 2005

So I have a bad habit of picking up the game, playing until level 20ish, then stopping and playing a different game. Then I come back, pick it up again, and the cycle repeats.

I'm playing through again now and I'm going to stick with it through it all, but I'm curious, at what point is it recommended that I start doing the DLC? And is there a specific order I should do it in?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

khy posted:

So I have a bad habit of picking up the game, playing until level 20ish, then stopping and playing a different game. Then I come back, pick it up again, and the cycle repeats.

I'm playing through again now and I'm going to stick with it through it all, but I'm curious, at what point is it recommended that I start doing the DLC? And is there a specific order I should do it in?

you can do the DLC whenever you want, in fact, some of them can get annoying at high levels so there's no reason to save them for last

there's plot threads running between Dead Money, OWB, and Lonesome Road, in that ordre. Honest Hearts is kind of it's own separate story.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

khy posted:

While all the levels will more-or-less scale to your level, I think the order (in terms of player level) goes something like Honest Hearts, Dead Money, Old World Blues and Lonesome Road.

None of them really tie in to any of the events in the main story so you can do them when ever. Though some of the DLC adds perks and equipment that can overpower you at lower levels.

VocalizePlayerDeath
Jan 29, 2009

Go do Dead Money, Honest Hearts then Old World Blues as soon as you can.
Return then to the wasteland to ponder the true meaning of civilization.
Then play Lonesome Road.

Also you can never return to Dead Money in the future.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Honest Hearts seems to fit in pretty well if you do it right after you get to Vegas but before you get onto the strip. Rationalize it as you going on a trip to get cash to pay the securitrons and you'll be in a pretty good place both storywise and leveling-wise. You'll have met the Legion (probably) and a little bit of the NCR.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Honest Hearts is kind of it's own separate story.

If you speak with Joshua, you pick up on some threads/seeds get planted that tie into the overarching plot of the DLCs.

He mentions that when he heard a Courier was in Zion, he assumed it was Caesar's pet Courier but you're not him. You can ask for a little further elaboration, and obviously by the time you reach Lonesome Road, you know it's Ulysses.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I almost universally head into lonesome road at level 1 for the gear and free weapon repair. I have a serious nail gun problem. Also the general's coat is my favorite armor.. I modded it to be equivalent to lightweight leather. Plus the vendor is pretty decent too. You always know what hes going to have.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I think the problem is that you hit a point where society has rebuilt itself and the struggle is no longer combative, but rather political or technical. Beyond the knee-jerk reaction of, "Well, that could be cool!" it's not really a Fallout game in the sense that the others were. I'm not sure how well a FPS version of the TV show "Jericho" would do.

Well, since this isn't Mass Effect, all they have to do is pick the canon events that cause the need for combative things to happen. At the end of Lonesome Road, either the NCR or Legion could have been nuked, and there were political reasons threatening the long-term survival of both factions in the main game. Utah and north of it are implied to be still relatively uncivilized. Could do something involving the tribals and the mormons while the big boy factions are dealing with internal issues. Could even put it in an anarchy-ravaged mojave after the Courier fucks everything up.

Alternatively: the crazy violent power vacuum that happens when one of them has a complete collapse of leadership (this would probably work better in Legion territory).

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

People in New Vegas already don't really have that many problems surviving. The NCR has a great big agricultural and industrial base to work with, the Legion seems well-fed, and the strip has its own economic power to keep itself fed along with Mr. House's provided technological support. It's only small, independent towns and outer Vegas that are struggling to survive.

Everything else is just a matter of political stability rather than recovering from the apocalypse. There will always be raiders as long as there isn't a strong federal force to protect the people, and there will always be more political entities to deal with.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Fallout 5 will take place in a world not unlike our own, with paved streets and men in suits. Emerging from your Vault 500 years after the bombs fell, you will be charged with finding a job and searching for a fabled apartment. But beware: descendants of Raiders, called "Gangs", roam the streets at night, and the Government brainstorms its latest plan to impose more taxes on its citizens.

You're welcome, Bethesda.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Bethesda's next Fallout will be interesting as hell to find out about, I really want to see if Fallout 3's simplification of themes and setting were just because they wanted to draw in people who weren't familiar with the license with a more typically non-functional post-apocalyptic setting or if they're going to repeat that isntead of building on the ideas of old vs. new and continuing to build up new civilizations with their own, new issues.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."

Dan Didio posted:

Bethesda's next Fallout will be interesting as hell to find out about, I really want to see if Fallout 3's simplification of themes and setting were just because they wanted to draw in people who weren't familiar with the license with a more typically non-functional post-apocalyptic setting or if they're going to repeat that isntead of building on the ideas of old vs. new and continuing to build up new civilizations with their own, new issues.

Did you ever play Skyrim or Oblivion? There's no way they're gonna be innovative about anything. It'll probably be a rehash of Fallout 3 with slight improvements here and there.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Which companion is considered to be the most popular? I pretty much like them all - although I always send Rex back to Freeside after fixing his brain. It doesn't seem right to take him away from his home for too long. Is it just me, or is it pretty tricky to get the "good" ending for a few companions?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Police Automaton posted:

Did you ever play Skyrim or Oblivion? There's no way they're gonna be innovative about anything. It'll probably be a rehash of Fallout 3 with slight improvements here and there.

Yes, I did, I'm aware the gameplay will largely be the same and I'm not talking about being 'innovative', I'm talking about how they clearly very deliberately constructued Fallout 3's setting in a very specific way to draw in people who weren't familiar with the franchise and now they're going to have to build on the threads of the 'main' series, Fallout 1, 2, New Vegas which all depict civilizations rebuilding and restructuring as their primary focus and wether or not they will do that.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
They already have an established IP that they've been building on, and nothing since Michael Kirkbride left Bethesda has been at all interesting.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

OldMemes posted:

Which companion is considered to be the most popular? I pretty much like them all - although I always send Rex back to Freeside after fixing his brain. It doesn't seem right to take him away from his home for too long. Is it just me, or is it pretty tricky to get the "good" ending for a few companions?

I think Boone is probably that guy. If it's on the horizon and hostile, he kills it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Boone is my favorite companion, I liked his backstory the most and felt that completing his personal questline really helped build the bond between you and him.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I only ever take ED-E. I've never actually had him upgraded before though...

Hey, who wants to do a run where they only use flashbangs as weapons? Sounds fun right?

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I'll be happy with Fallout 4 as long as it is in a new location, lets go to Florida do kill mutant crocodiles or something.

edit: oh poo poo I just saw the image way up :lol:

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Dan Didio posted:

Yes, I did, I'm aware the gameplay will largely be the same and I'm not talking about being 'innovative', I'm talking about how they clearly very deliberately constructued Fallout 3's setting in a very specific way to draw in people who weren't familiar with the franchise and now they're going to have to build on the threads of the 'main' series, Fallout 1, 2, New Vegas which all depict civilizations rebuilding and restructuring as their primary focus and wether or not they will do that.

While the themes may stay the same, they'll have to deviate from the main 'players' and plots in the universe and invent some new ones eventually. You can only rehash The Brotherhood, The Enclave, supermutants and ghouls and the various roles they play so many times. Also, if they keep up their trend of always moving time forward, they won't be able to keep the 'rebuilding' theme up forever.

Given Bethesda's track record with The Elder Scrolls they'll probably move on from the Capitol and in to new (though eerily similar) environments. Speaking with one of the slaves in The Pitt you hear him reference a bunch of other near by areas in the northeastern United States and Canada. Maybe they'll do New York, or Boston, or the Institute, go back to Colorado or Florida, the Bayou or Utah (wouldn't that be exciting). Who knows.

Now that they're done with Skyrim's new expansion, they need to hurry the hell up and announce their next installment of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

frajaq posted:

I'll be happy with Fallout 4 as long as it is in a new location, lets go to Florida do kill mutant crocodiles or something.

edit: oh poo poo I just saw the image way up :lol:

Fallout: Tactics 2 was set in Louisana someplace with Alligator-men.

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Now that they're done with Skyrim's new expansion, they need to hurry the hell up and announce their next installment of this.

You won't see anything announced until they're completely done with Skyrim.