Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

mindphlux posted:

according to my japanese cooking book which I swear by, a true japanese meal is all about variety and balance - and all eaten at the same time, not in courses. and I try to eat this way whenever I cook in the style, or eat japanese in a restaurant. all sushi or all nigiri would be boring (and expensive!)

so, instead of a giant plate of sushi, I will usually get a small assortment of sashimi or nigiri, a vinegar based dish, a few grilled items, a fried item, and usually one other cold or soybean based item. a fairly typical order at my favorite joint would be (for me and my gal)

8pc nigiri
a sunomono dish (vinegared crab or octopus with cucumber)
gomadare tofu (chilled soft tofu with sesame sauce)
torikawi ponzu (fried chicken skin in ponzu)
shishito + shitake yakitori
ten zaru udon (cold udon with tempura shrimp and dashi-soy dipping sauce)
enoki tomagotoji (small dashi based soup with mushroom and egg. god I love this soup)

man I just ate at that restaurant for lunch and now I just wanna go back and order all the above for dinner :(

edit : fried chicken skin in ponzu sauce img snipe :synpa:

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jul 16, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.
I've decided to say gently caress IT to the world (insurance companies and clients who don't appreciate the life of a freelancer, in particular), and spend a lot of money I don't really have on a dinner for a few friends. A champagne dinner, because we all - well into our cups and extremely solemnly - promised each other on New Year's eve that 2012 would be the year when we'd finally start drinking more champagne!

But I'm completely lost as to a menu. 3-4 course meal, champagne / cava / cremant for every course ... anyone able to help me out? (don't spend too much brainpower on it, it's one of those ideas that feels great here at 11PM after a hellish week and a half but might lose its lustre once I check my bank balance in the morning)

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
Well, for a starter, few things go better with Champagne than kalixlöjrom. Served the traditional way, with sour cream, shopped red onion and some toast.

Darval
Nov 20, 2007

Shiny.

therattle posted:

I am working with some producers in Aarhus. They seem to like it. They do say that there is an unusually high percentage of freaks and weirdos there - now I know why.

I was born in Aarhus, this might explain a few things.

I'm considdering buying the "On Food and Cooking" book by Harold McGee because I've read a bit of it in PDF and I like what I've read so far. But I noticed the book is actually pretty old, originally published in 1984. Is there something else I should get instead/also which is newer and more modern?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Charmmi posted:

I pair sushi with fried chicken. The light and delicate flavors of sushi and sashimi contrast well with the crisp and hearty bite of freshly fried chicken. 100% seriouspost.

I have been served karaage with sushi while in Japan, so you aren't alone with this idea.

mindphlux posted:

according to my japanese cooking book which I swear by, a true japanese meal is all about variety and balance - and all eaten at the same time, not in courses. and I try to eat this way whenever I cook in the style, or eat japanese in a restaurant. all sushi or all nigiri would be boring (and expensive!)

The Japanese Kitchen by Hiroko Shimbu? If not, our books agree on the variety and balance aspect of a meal.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

mindphlux posted:

so, instead of a giant plate of sushi, I will usually get a small assortment of sashimi or nigiri, a vinegar based dish, a few grilled items, a fried item, and usually one other cold or soybean based item. a fairly typical order at my favorite joint would be (for me and my gal)

8pc nigiri
a sunomono dish (vinegared crab or octopus with cucumber)
gomadare tofu (chilled soft tofu with sesame sauce)
torikawi ponzu (fried chicken skin in ponzu)
shishito + shitake yakitori
ten zaru udon (cold udon with tempura shrimp and dashi-soy dipping sauce)
enoki tomagotoji (small dashi based soup with mushroom and egg. god I love this soup)
I do that too, although not intentionally. A typical order would be tofu in crispy batter with dipping sauce; spinach with sweet sesame dressing; dumplings; avocado maki; aubergine grilled with miso; rice. I make all of these except the fried tofu (have it plain on rice with toasted sesame seeds, grated ginger, and soya sauce), and gyoza. I also love making sweet potato with ginger and mirin, and mushrooms with vinegar, soya and sesame oil.

What are good green Japanese dishes apart from the spinach, preferably quick ish and easy ish? I would like to make Japanese food more often and much as I love the spinach with sesame it's a bit of a faff on a weeknight.

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

Industrial revolution has flipped the bitch on evolution.
I usually just do my pizzas with parchment paper. As I was getting my dough ready after letting the oven heat for an hour, I realized that I didn't have any left. I thought, gently caress it, I'll just shimmy it onto the stone from my baking sheet like a pro.

Nope.

Oh god it was a travesty. I got so frustrated that I just left it in there, baking sheet and all, and went to go do something else. I even went through the trouble of caramelizing onions yesterday to use on it, too.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
I just use the back of a full sheet pan with some spray. I don't have the space for a stone at home, and my pizzas are baller without it. :colbert:

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

I just use the back of a full sheet pan with some spray. I don't have the space for a stone at home, and my pizzas are baller without it. :colbert:

Maybe your are but mine was like a pizza abortion. It just couldn't hold a candle to being on the stone.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
if you put some coarse semolina or cornmeal on your baking sheet the crust will slide right off. just make sure that your sheet is dry and dont spill sauce on it.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Dane posted:

I've decided to say gently caress IT to the world (insurance companies and clients who don't appreciate the life of a freelancer, in particular), and spend a lot of money I don't really have on a dinner for a few friends. A champagne dinner, because we all - well into our cups and extremely solemnly - promised each other on New Year's eve that 2012 would be the year when we'd finally start drinking more champagne!

But I'm completely lost as to a menu. 3-4 course meal, champagne / cava / cremant for every course ... anyone able to help me out? (don't spend too much brainpower on it, it's one of those ideas that feels great here at 11PM after a hellish week and a half but might lose its lustre once I check my bank balance in the morning)

Champagne is one of the most versatile pairings with food ever. Not exaggerating. It goes extremely well with rich food - Champagne has a higher absolute acidity than many other whites relative to it's perceived acidity.

Some particular pairings which are excellent and to which I can personally attest (with either orthodox or radical parenthetically inserted after) try any of the following: oysters (orthodox), washed rind cheese (orthodox), bbq chicken/white meat or other white meat in an adiculated marinade (radical), strawberries (orthodox), thai or mexican foods (radical), white or black truffles (orthodox), savory custards (orthodox).

The thing about Champagne is it's versatility. Try stuff! Pair dry and nutty bubblies with more savory, brown, umami flavors. Pair the simpler, sweeter, fruitier (perhaps less measurable sugar, but certainly more perceptible sugar) bubblies with either briny seafood, assertive cheese, or foods that employ the interplay between sweet/savory you often find in Asian dishes. I guess after saying that I should point out that this interplay is part of practically every food culture - whether it's sweet soy based marinades, or quince paste with casu marzu.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

taqueso posted:

The Japanese Kitchen by Hiroko Shimbu? If not, our books agree on the variety and balance aspect of a meal.

the same

Rule .303
Dec 9, 2011
(Instructions are just some other guy's opinion)
Oops. Wrong thread.

sorry

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

a good book

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

pile of brown posted:

if you put some coarse semolina or cornmeal on your baking sheet the crust will slide right off. just make sure that your sheet is dry and dont spill sauce on it.

Oh I do that anyway. I just, um, hosed the whole thing up this time.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

I don't have the space for a stone at home, and my pizzas are baller without it. :colbert:
The space for a stone? I can't remember the last time I took my baking stone out of the oven.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

SubG posted:

The space for a stone? I can't remember the last time I took my baking stone out of the oven.

The stove in my apartment is crap, and has flimsy racks. They would bend if I put a stone on them. Hell, they bend if I put a dutch oven on them.

Well, the oven isn't actually crap, it just has lovely racks. It goes to 550F :woop:

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

It's not actually a stone. It's unglazed ceramic. It doesn't weigh very much at all.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
Take GM fish intended for the aquarium trade. They glow under UV light. Buy them and then don't properly quarantine them to make sure they are disease free. Fish Tuberculosis can spread to humans. Then make sushi from them. Make it from a possibly diseased fish that tastes like fish food. Fish food tastes awful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQz60FBTfts

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

Darval posted:

I was born in Aarhus, this might explain a few things.

I'm considdering buying the "On Food and Cooking" book by Harold McGee because I've read a bit of it in PDF and I like what I've read so far. But I noticed the book is actually pretty old, originally published in 1984. Is there something else I should get instead/also which is newer and more modern?

It's been updated several times, unless you're buying the 1st ed you should be fine.

Thanks.

Darval
Nov 20, 2007

Shiny.

Dane posted:

It's been updated several times, unless you're buying the 1st ed you should be fine.

Thanks!

I wasn't expecting it to be this expensive though. I've also found what looks to be two different editions.

This seems to be the original:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/On-Food-And-Cooking-Science/dp/0684800012/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1342528444&sr=8-3

But I can't figure out if this is the same thing or nor:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/McGee-Food-Cooking-Encyclopedia-Kitchen/dp/0340831499/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1342528444&sr=8-1

The second one being a lot cheaper.

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

The stove in my apartment is crap, and has flimsy racks. They would bend if I put a stone on them. Hell, they bend if I put a dutch oven on them.

Well, the oven isn't actually crap, it just has lovely racks. It goes to 550F :woop:

Perfect, because the stone doesn't go on the racks. You're supposed to set it on the bottom of the oven and leave it there. :)

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Walk Away posted:

Perfect, because the stone doesn't go on the racks. You're supposed to set it on the bottom of the oven and leave it there. :)

That's probably a bad idea if you have an element down there.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

This, electric stove.

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

Come on man, live a little!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Why is that?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

Why is that?

The element isn't designed to be load bearing. The weight could put stress on the element or the union where it plugs in. I don't imagine a pizza stone is (electrically) conductive, so that part shouldn't be a problem, I guess.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

Why is that?

Not load bearing, negatively impacts heat distribution, and the element doesn't heat slowly, so it would more than likely damage a ceramic stone fairly quickly.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
I have never seen an oven with an exposed heating element (coil?) in the bottom.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Not load bearing, negatively impacts heat distribution, and the element doesn't heat slowly, so it would more than likely damage a ceramic stone fairly quickly.

I'm now picturing a little stand that looks just like one of those plastic majiggies that keeps a pizza box lid from sagging onto a delivery pizza, except made of metal, possibly cast iron, and there's three of them that can be put on the floor of the oven to hold a stone over the element.

My stone never leaves my (gas) oven either; it helps keep everything more evenly heated and retains a lot of heat when I can't help myself from opening the drat door to gently caress with poo poo all the time.

edit: I just thought of the kind of thing that might work. One of those dutch ovens that have little cast iron legs under them so you can set them right in a fire/coal bed.

Very Strange Things fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jul 17, 2012

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My oven has 3 racks, so the stone stays on one that I keep in the bottom most position (which is probably a half inch from the element).

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Oh - well - just looked up my oven - the pizza stone is supposed to be directly on the bottom, and in direct contact with the heating element - good thing!

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
Burner stands! I knew I was thinking of something real. These are too expensive, but here's what I was picturing.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Very Strange Things posted:

Burner stands! I knew I was thinking of something real. These are too expensive, but here's what I was picturing.

9 inches?

That seems like a lot.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Happy Hat posted:

9 inches?

That seems like a lot.

That's not what pr0k's mom said.

Yes. And I have no idea how those legs stand up to heat; I was just linking to the picture, mostly.

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

Happy Hat posted:

I have never seen an oven with an exposed heating element (coil?) in the bottom.

Every electric oven I've ever had has been this way.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I had a horse steak for the first time ever. That was delicious. Will eat again.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

rj54x posted:

Every electric oven I've ever had has been this way.

Is that some American thing? All ovens I have seen ony have the heating elements in the top of the oven exposed.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

DekeThornton posted:

Is that some American thing? All ovens I have seen ony have the heating elements in the top of the oven exposed.

That's the grill. The heating in electric ovens in the UK usually comes from an element in the back, not the top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Scientastic posted:

That's the grill. The heating in electric ovens in the UK usually comes from an element in the back, not the top.

My oven, like most Swedish ones, have one heating element in the top, as well as the grill, and a heating element in the bottom, underneath, the floor of the oven.