Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funeral Mist
Sep 30, 2009

Atlas Moth posted:

Stumbled over this gem earlier.

Хлад - I (То, Чего не Должно Было Быть)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3Ibsw4QkIw

It's Russian and ridiculously hard to pronounce, but it's also some really solid atmospheric BM that you probably want to check out.

This is really good, thanks for posting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
So I finally listened to the new Bosse-De-Nage (entitled III), and it is fantastic. I really can't recommend this enough. Whereas II felt like it was being wonky and unnerving for the sake of it, III is an album with beautiful fluidity, whilst retaining an unsettling quality at times. This feels like a lot more complex album, and there is a lot more on show here both musically and emotionally. As much as this will immediately turn some of you off this album, there is a stronger indie rock/shoegaze influence here, which gives a very cathartic feel to the end of the album especially. I wouldn't go so far as to say it softens their sound, but it definitely removes the jagged edges present on II. If you're even remotely interested, I'd check it out. Don't sleep on this.

Listen to the opening track here.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Oops, I meant to hit edit, and I hit "quote" without realising and posted anyway, but: Opinions on the new Wodensthrone?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

nomapple posted:

Oops, I meant to hit edit, and I hit "quote" without realising and posted anyway, but: Opinions on the new Wodensthrone?

Didn't think too much of it, honestly. The only track on their first I really liked was the crescendocore instrumental, to be fair, but this one didn't do much for me.

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

nomapple posted:

The debut album was a boring turd, but this time around they apparently decided to copy Emperor instead of Drudkh and it paid off, it's a good album

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.
Considering it's middle east hot here for the 6th straight day I wanna put up a band that was mentioned in the main metal thread, talking about anti-islam black metal. Al Namrood from Saudi Arabia. I think they do a better job of making evil arabian music than Nile. These are from the album I've been able to get into. There's a few instrumental tracks and those have been the highlights for me. Unfortunately I don't think we'll be seeing any Al-Varg Bin Vikernes running around torching mosques but considering you'd be killed for making music like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUMRL14fKKc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0d_o-ZuVnk

m-o-o-n posted:

The debut album was a boring turd, but this time around they apparently decided to copy Emperor instead of Drudkh and it paid off, it's a good album

This isn't bad, there's definitely Emperor in there it's just less chaotic and produced cleaner. I like it I just wish it was dirtier.

Morbid Florist fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jul 17, 2012

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17

m-o-o-n posted:

I really like the first album, but can't get excited about the second at all, and I still pretty much agree with what you say here.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Morbid Florist posted:

Al Namrood from Saudi Arabia. I think they do a better job of making evil arabian music than Nile.

Well, they uh... are Arab, and not just fat dudes from South Carolina.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

QPZIL posted:

Well, they uh... are Arab, and not just fat dudes from South Carolina.

My grandmother was off the boat italian but she couldn't make a sauce to save her life, yet the brazilians up the street from my apartment make some of the best linguine and clams I've ever had.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Don't know whether this or the main Metal thread is the right place for this post, so I'm going to do it in both. Holy poo poo Agalloch tonight, anyone else going to the show in Denver?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Morbid Florist posted:

Unfortunately I don't think we'll be seeing any Al-Varg Bin Vikernes running around torching mosques but considering you'd be killed for making music like this...

Speaking of which, it's more tr00kvlt in style than Arabesque but:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ap60ERNTQYc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NS73YZgqGx0

The second especially is sort of :stare: - one-woman anti-Islamic black metal from, uh, Iraq. Those are some brass balls right there.

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Don't know whether this or the main Metal thread is the right place for this post, so I'm going to do it in both. Holy poo poo Agalloch tonight, anyone else going to the show in Denver?

I just got back from the show in Omaha. I came in knowing next to nothing about the band (or the genre at all, really), and :tviv:
Simply great.

Crimson Sox
Jan 16, 2008

Bromance

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Going to the show in Boston. Haven't been this excited about a gig in quite some time.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Far from a new band or album but new to me. I loving love this. Entirely straight forward scandinavian chaos, back to basics poo poo. :black101:

NIDSANG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ke31qU5XzA

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Hawaii_Lame-O posted:

Are there any A Forest of Stars fans on here? Here's a new song with a video!

That video ruled.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Sloppy posted:

That video ruled.

Indeed, the music felt pretty unique too. I preordered the album today, really looking forward to having it.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
Happy Thursday Y'all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rrbEItfJyU

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Defiant Sally posted:

Greetings bros. I've never been big into black metal, mostly death metal (of all forms) but recently I've been exploring the realms of black metal more and more. Rather than slog through the thousands of bands out there I figure I'll just ask here.

I've always been a huge fan of Immortal. I love everything the band has ever done, and the way they play and write their music really clicks with me (listening to Damned in Black as I write this). Recently I've gotten into Bathory and Taake, and I like the sound of both those bands as well.

What are some good bands out there that sound similar to Immortal or Taake, with that classic black metal sound but still have a production value that makes it sound like it was recorded on something more than a Fisher Price cassette recorder?

I realize Immortal is like one of THE black metal bands, but that should probably give you some idea of how little exposure to black metal I get.

Anti Christian/Religious is very welcome but Im trying to stay away from NSBM.

Recommendations so far are A+, especially Rotting Christ.

You dig the folk if memory serves so give Moonsorrow a spin even though it's got a good bit of that rough around the edges recording quality. Also try Stormlord, particularly At the Gates of Utopia. I'm personally a big fan of Chthonic, particularly Relentless Recurrence too.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Morbid Florist posted:

Considering it's middle east hot here for the 6th straight day I wanna put up a band that was mentioned in the main metal thread, talking about anti-islam black metal. Al Namrood from Saudi Arabia. I think they do a better job of making evil arabian music than Nile. These are from the album I've been able to get into. There's a few instrumental tracks and those have been the highlights for me. Unfortunately I don't think we'll be seeing any Al-Varg Bin Vikernes running around torching mosques but considering you'd be killed for making music like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUMRL14fKKc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0d_o-ZuVnk

Thanks for this! Good stuff.

Also, I'll be on the lookout for an album from Janaza, Burn the Pages of Quran is a great track. Brass balls indeed.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17
(Cross-post from the metal thread)

Via a recommendation from Kim Kelly, I've recently fallen for Anicon. Just the one EP at the moment, from what I can tell, and they're so new they don't even have a metal-archives entry.

The EP will be released later today.

http://anicon.bandcamp.com/

For black metal fans - kind of WITTR-ish, a bit more up-tempo, great atmosphere.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Here's a band I found through last.fm, Obitus. Swedish black metal "concept" album about the bleak horror of modern existence. It's essentially one big song that seems to center (based on the handful of samples throughout) around an autopsy of an office worker. There's electronic elements that they thankfully keep very minimal but I think it helps add to the anti-modern theme. As someone who whores his life away behind a desk it's nice to know I'm not alone hating this horror show.

The whole thing's up on bandcamp http://dissension-records.bandcamp.com/album/the-march-of-the-drones

I'd say the last track is the best overall part to hear if you need a quick sell.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
If you need some terrifically uncomplicated black metal, then you're probably looking for Armagedda.

And also this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iv3MTrRK8K4

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

(Cross-post from the metal thread)

Via a recommendation from Kim Kelly, I've recently fallen for Anicon. Just the one EP at the moment, from what I can tell, and they're so new they don't even have a metal-archives entry.

The EP will be released later today.

http://anicon.bandcamp.com/

For black metal fans - kind of WITTR-ish, a bit more up-tempo, great atmosphere.

Can't pass that up.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Nachtmystium streaming new album

I'm liking it so far.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
edit: wrong thread

Fiendish Dr. Wu fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jul 28, 2012

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!

MrBling posted:

If you need some terrifically uncomplicated black metal, then you're probably looking for Armagedda.

This is good poo poo.

Edit: Al-Namrood are also super awesome.

Bullbar fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jul 31, 2012

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

So one of the dudes from Sonic Youth joined Twilight (American BM 'supergroup'). Pretty sick if you ask me.

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

Weaponized Cum posted:

So one of the dudes from Sonic Youth joined Twilight (American BM 'supergroup'). Pretty sick if you ask me.

It's Thurston Moore. I am... pretty excited about this news.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Chapel's debut album is available on Invictus Prod. from this weekend. The Gospel of the Horns ceremonial conjuration 12" MLP is also out now. Wheee! Black/thrash attack!

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

New Nachtmystium is absolutely awesome, its like Instinct: Decay with Sanford Parker and different production. More raw and angry sounding.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

lordblytzkrieg posted:

New Nachtmystium is absolutely awesome, its like Instinct: Decay with Sanford Parker and different production. More raw and angry sounding.

I like it alot! Although it suppose to their return to their trv and kvlt black metal roots, it still has that old school Chicago Wax Trax industrial feel to it. Listening to it, I'm also trying to imagine Thurston Moore's brand of noise thrown into the mix for the next Twilight album. I can't wait to hear what that is gonna sound like.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

I like it alot! Although it suppose to their return to their trv and kvlt black metal roots, it still has that old school Chicago Wax Trax industrial feel to it. Listening to it, I'm also trying to imagine Thurston Moore's brand of noise thrown into the mix for the next Twilight album. I can't wait to hear what that is gonna sound like.

Definitely heavily influenced by the Wax Trax industrial stuff. The industrial influences even come through in the title as Silencing Machine is taken from a lyric in Mr. Self Destruct by Nine Inch Nails. I think it's my favourite album of the year so far, just been listening to it non stop.

Edit: I'm curious if Blake Judd is clean now, because he looked awful in the making of videos for Silencing Machine. I heard he went to rehab though and got clean recently so hopefully that's true.

Le Saboteur fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Aug 2, 2012

goatse.cx haver
Oct 17, 2010

precious metals

Le Saboteur posted:

Edit: I'm curious if Blake Judd is clean now, because he looked awful in the making of videos for Silencing Machine. I heard he went to rehab though and got clean recently so hopefully that's true.

Heres part 1 for anyone interested.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-o7WzS8c-28

Its a nice watch.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

Nuclear Fetus posted:

Heres part 1 for anyone interested.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-o7WzS8c-28

Its a nice watch.

The making of videos are all pretty interesting but Judd looks as bad as Dylan Carlson looked back in the early 90s in them.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
How do y'all feel about the recent crop of black metal inflected punk groups (Grinning Death's Head, Raspberry Bulbs/Bone Awl, Sexdrome, Horrid Cross, etc)? I honestly think they're better on average than a lot of the "actual" BM coming out around now with the exception of a few groups (specifically Bosse-De-Nage and Mutilation Rites).

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!

a false posted:

How do y'all feel about the recent crop of black metal inflected punk groups (Grinning Death's Head, Raspberry Bulbs/Bone Awl, Sexdrome, Horrid Cross, etc)? I honestly think they're better on average than a lot of the "actual" BM coming out around now with the exception of a few groups (specifically Bosse-De-Nage and Mutilation Rites).

I've actually really been digging all the black metal/punk bands on Primal Vomit Records, especially Ives and Black Lands. Although I'm not sure what it is about Mutilation Rites that makes you hold them up as an exceptional BM band. I Am Legion struck me as a fairly generic album, although I haven't listened to Empyrean yet.

goatse.cx haver
Oct 17, 2010

precious metals

Le Saboteur posted:

The making of videos are all pretty interesting but Judd looks as bad as Dylan Carlson looked back in the early 90s in them.

He supposedly went to rehab after those were shot and is clean now I guess?

And speaking of the black metal/punk thing, a friends band just released an EP.
http://ravageritual.bandcamp.com/album/revival

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

a false posted:

I welcome the convergence of genres and find it good for Black Metal and Metal in general.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
The first track has been released online for Winterfylleth's 3rd album The Threnody of Triumph. Personally I think they're the best BM band that the UK has to offer (unless we're counting Anaal Nathrakh in there, but they blend so many different genres that I don't really think of them as a BM project). Anyway, you can hear the track here. I really like it, cold black metal with an epic feel to it. On my twitter feed a few people have heard it already (journos) and it has garnered very high praise indeed.

Looks like I'm gonna have to give the new Nachtmystium a spin, heard nothing but good things about this record...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

Wake up. Listen to Insane Vesper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvzt-FkVb_c

\m/