Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

...rape camp?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

...I was also wondering.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Meh, old GWS chat thread meme. I go to an adult summer camp every year, and that's what the other goons named it.

Let's just say that I brewed two pots of perk coffee a day on a camp stove, since the coffee at the mess hall was gross.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Something about a nice clean stainless steel percolator just doesn't sit right with me. I think it's largely because I associate percolators with my cabin where we've been using the same percolator since my dad built the cabin 25 years ago. It's old, it looks old and that's part of the charm to it. I think I'd feel weird about using a nice new one. I'd almost want to beat it to and scratch it to poo poo first to try to make it feel right.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Does a French press use more or less coffee than the clever coffee dripper? I'm using 22g of coffee and use 360g water, per sweet marias recommendation. I don't really have anything to compare it to but that seems like a lot of coffee for what it produces.

I'm curious what French press tastes like but I'm hesitant to spend 20-30 on something if it's going to use the same amount of coffee.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

nwin posted:

Does a French press use more or less coffee than the clever coffee dripper? I'm using 22g of coffee and use 360g water, per sweet marias recommendation. I don't really have anything to compare it to but that seems like a lot of coffee for what it produces.

I'm curious what French press tastes like but I'm hesitant to spend 20-30 on something if it's going to use the same amount of coffee.

Should be roughly the same. The reason you buy a french press isn't to use less coffee, it's because it's a different style of coffee and has a different taste and mouthfeel.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

rockcity posted:

Should be roughly the same. The reason you buy a french press isn't to use less coffee, it's because it's a different style of coffee and has a different taste and mouthfeel.

Right, I'm well aware of why I would buy different brewing systems. I was curious if it used less coffee or not.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

:siren: Baratza has refurbed Maestro Pluses in stock

I've been waiting for a long-rear end time to get one as I'm poor as poo poo but I just thought I should let it be known for anyone else~

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet
Just got my first French Press. Can't wait to use it.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

COUNTIN THE BILLIES posted:

Just got my first French Press. Can't wait to use it.

Question for the thread:

What types of coffee benefit from a french press? It really does produce a different tasting coffee. One that tastes pretty drat good in a drip could have a non-similar taste and mouth feel.

beanbrew
Jan 3, 2011

the way is not in the sky

the way is in the heart

Whalley posted:

:siren: Baratza has refurbed Maestro Pluses in stock

Thanks for this my girlfriend just ordered me one as a birthday gift! :dance:

lags
Jan 3, 2004

Doh004 posted:

What types of coffee benefit from a french press?

Yes.

(The implication being that a french press will bring out qualities like depth and mouthfeel for all types of coffee, so all of your favourite coffees will "benefit" from it)

lags fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jul 16, 2012

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker
Verve's Panama Elida Estate is currently blowing me away. Great strawberry flavors and a soft, fudge-like mouthfeel. I've just been making it with my V60 so far, but I might see what a french press brings out. I had to make a second cup this morning to go with some rhubarb cake that I made yesterday (which also turned out delicious).

whereismyshoe
Oct 21, 2008

that's not gone well...
Anyone use an electric kettle and have a recommendation for a good one?

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
I've always wanted to 'get into coffee' as I do love black. Now the time has come, a friend whos house I am looking after has one of those Nespresso machines. Now, this is from someone who's come from instant(!!!), but I friggin love it.

I had a look at the OP and was just looking for some simple advice. I don't mind splashing out for a machine, but if there's a more efficient / cheaper way (There always is), then i'm all ears. At work, they have one of those plunger dealies, which I've only had coffee from once, which was ok. Are they worth looking into?

Not really want anything TOO involving, i'm just looking for an upgrade from instant, not 'straight from Italy'. No filter papers and stuff for me! :)

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

whereismyshoe posted:

I have this one. It works well enough, nothing special. My wife bought it because it was red.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

whereismyshoe posted:

I've had mine for years and it still heats water, not sure what else to say about an electric kettle.

http://www.amazon.com/Aroma-AWK-115S-X-Press-2-Liter-Cordless/dp/B000KDVTJI/ref=pd_sim_k_2

Dache
Dec 26, 2003

this happy little fella is steve

simosimo posted:

I've always wanted to 'get into coffee' as I do love black. Now the time has come, a friend whos house I am looking after has one of those Nespresso machines. Now, this is from someone who's come from instant(!!!), but I friggin love it.

I had a look at the OP and was just looking for some simple advice. I don't mind splashing out for a machine, but if there's a more efficient / cheaper way (There always is), then i'm all ears. At work, they have one of those plunger dealies, which I've only had coffee from once, which was ok. Are they worth looking into?

Not really want anything TOO involving, i'm just looking for an upgrade from instant, not 'straight from Italy'. No filter papers and stuff for me! :)

Yes, get a French press; they're the default, cheap, newcomer option every time. Between $30 - $40 for good Bodum one. It can make coffee as good as any other method, you just need to practice and to have good beans to start with (as garbage in, garbage out).

You should also look into a grinder too, and if you're only going to use it for French press, it doesn't need to be particularly fancy or expensive. I'll let someone else recommend one though, as I'm not really familiar with low-end grinders these days.

whereismyshoe
Oct 21, 2008

that's not gone well...

eggsovereasy posted:

I've had mine for years and it still heats water, not sure what else to say about an electric kettle.

http://www.amazon.com/Aroma-AWK-115S-X-Press-2-Liter-Cordless/dp/B000KDVTJI/ref=pd_sim_k_2

Yeah I was looking at this one, that'll probably be it.

Shapiro
Jun 27, 2005

a jealous female can be tricked into anything
So I'm really loving my Baratza Maestro. It's already made a huge difference compared to my $10 whirly grinder I used to use :)

I'm interested in trying some coffee that I'll really be able to notice the different flavors in. I'm just getting started at this whole coffee tasting thing, so I was looking to try something new and interesting.

From the OP, it sounds like Kenyan coffee would fit the bill, and not just taste like your average cup of coffee. Any recommendations?

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

whereismyshoe posted:

I bought the 1 liter Bonavita Pour-over kettle from Sweet Maria's for my mother and it works great although a bit spendy at $50. SM also did a great job replacing the first one I had ordered which had a strange leak.

http://www.sweetmarias.com/sweetmarias/miscellaneous/cupping-supplies/bonavita-electric-pour-over-kettle.html

I personally also use the standard chrome 1.5 liter Aroma kettle for tea - which works great - but prob not for pour over coffee.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

Dache posted:

Yes, get a French press; they're the default, cheap, newcomer option every time. Between $30 - $40 for good Bodum one. It can make coffee as good as any other method, you just need to practice and to have good beans to start with (as garbage in, garbage out).

You should also look into a grinder too, and if you're only going to use it for French press, it doesn't need to be particularly fancy or expensive. I'll let someone else recommend one though, as I'm not really familiar with low-end grinders these days.

I'm in the UK so sorry if this makes no sense. I know in the 'coffee' section of a supermarket there's the instants, then there's bags of powder, is this the stuff you put into these presses with hot water, then plunge? Sounds easy enough. Also, I'm a one cup drinker, would having one of these be a waste if it makes a 'batch'. I suppose I should go Google all this junk, but thank you all the same!

Edit- What I will say is though: Is 'ARGH FRENCH PRESSES ARE UNHEALTHY' the same stupid myth as 'Eggs are unhealthy!!!'? I literally have 2-3 cups a day, surely walking is more dangerous....

Sevalar fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jul 17, 2012

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
French presses aren't dangerous or unhealthy or anything but if you have problems with heartburn or acid reflux the coffee can agitate that, as will pretty much any hot-brewed coffee.

Jmcrofts fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jul 17, 2012

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

I'm upset because I can't roast coffee anymore!

I used to rent a house in CT with roommates and it was easy roasting territory in my kitchen. Nobody cared.

Now I'm in a new apartment complex in Queens and there's no way it wouldn't set off the smoke detector/be a huge disturbance/make smoke rise throughout. So now I've lost a favorite habit of mine and I'm back to spending more money on buying really good wholebean coffee.

mystes
May 31, 2006

simosimo posted:

Edit- What I will say is though: Is 'ARGH FRENCH PRESSES ARE UNHEALTHY' the same stupid myth as 'Eggs are unhealthy!!!'? I literally have 2-3 cups a day, surely walking is more dangerous....
It's not the same. Dietary cholesterol may not do anything, but stuff in unfiltered coffee really does apparently raise cholesterol levels. I don't know how dangerous it actually is, though. Personally, I don't intend to stop drinking french press coffee unless a study specifically links it to a higher risk of mortality. On the other hand, if you drink like 16 cups of coffee a day or are already at risk for heart disease it's something to consider.

mystes fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jul 17, 2012

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

mystes posted:

It's not the same. Dietary cholesterol may not do anything, but stuff in unfiltered coffee really does apparently raise cholesterol levels. I don't know how dangerous it actually is, though. Personally, I don't intend to stop drinking french press coffee unless a study specifically links it to a higher risk of mortality. On the other hand, if you drink like 16 cups of coffee a day or are already at risk for heart disease it's something to consider.

Yeah. It's not dietary cholesterol it is a cholesterol boosting mechanism through another chemical. I wouldn't worry about it unless you have cholesterol problems.

Edit: I wouldn't say it's unhealthy. I would say it's unhealthy for some people.

Edit2: read more http://www.bcm.edu/news/item.cfm?newsID=912

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jul 17, 2012

Dache
Dec 26, 2003

simosimo posted:

I'm in the UK so sorry if this makes no sense. I know in the 'coffee' section of a supermarket there's the instants, then there's bags of powder, is this the stuff you put into these presses with hot water, then plunge? Sounds easy enough. Also, I'm a one cup drinker, would having one of these be a waste if it makes a 'batch'. I suppose I should go Google all this junk, but thank you all the same!

I'm in the UK too, I just automatically assume everyone else is from the US. If you only drink a cup at a time then something like this works fine. There's lots of similar small ones around,.

Yeah, this is the stuff you buy the pre-ground coffee for and plunge, although I'll always suggest you buy a grinder and order some beans from http://www.hasbean.co.uk instead, because it'll always make a far better cup. Have a look at some of the Press videos on http://brewmethods.com/ to get a better idea of what you're doing, too.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

Dache posted:

I'm in the UK too, I just automatically assume everyone else is from the US. If you only drink a cup at a time then something like this works fine. There's lots of similar small ones around,.

Yeah, this is the stuff you buy the pre-ground coffee for and plunge, although I'll always suggest you buy a grinder and order some beans from http://www.hasbean.co.uk instead, because it'll always make a far better cup. Have a look at some of the Press videos on http://brewmethods.com/ to get a better idea of what you're doing, too.

Nice,

I also saw this too by Bodum:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bodum-Chambord-French-Coffee-0-35lt/dp/B00005LM0R/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

A guy on the reviews is saying don't get this one, get the newer one, although it only has one review [by him].

The new one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bodum-Chambord-Coffee-Cafetiere-Chrome/dp/B003D3NBDO/ref=sr_1_8?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1342547864&sr=1-8

What's the difference between the one you linked [Brazil], and the one I did? Cheaper, so flimsyer maybe?

Gonna take the plunge [hur hur] and order one tonight!

Sevalar fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jul 17, 2012

Dache
Dec 26, 2003

simosimo posted:

What's the difference between the one you linked [Brazil], and the one I did? Cheaper, so flimsyer maybe?

Basically, yeah. The Brazil I linked has a plastic frame that doesn't protect the glass much. The 1923 has a metal frame that covers it a little better and has a slightly better handle. The third one the guy recommends has a small switchable lid on top that covers the spout to make it slightly spillproof if it gets knocked over (and the base is flat, which will probably make it a little more balanced).

Get whichever one you think is worth it. They're all gonna make the same coffee, in the end.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

whereismyshoe posted:

There's an electric kettle from Bonavita with a pour spout, seems well reviewed and might be worth looking at. Pretty cheap, too.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

AriTheDog posted:

There's an electric kettle from Bonavita with a pour spout, seems well reviewed and might be worth looking at. Pretty cheap, too.

There's also supposed to be a variable temperature bonavita kettles coming out soon, both with the pour spout and the aroma-like spout.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

gwrtheyrn posted:

There's also supposed to be a variable temperature bonavita kettles coming out soon, both with the pour spout and the aroma-like spout.

Oh, awesome. I've got an Aroma brand electric kettle that really needs to be replaced, but I can wait for something like that.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
My parents have this bad boy and I love it... when I move back out I'm going to miss it dearly, though $100 is alot to pay for a kettle. Probably just going to grab a Bonavita electric when I move though.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet
Just made my first French Press coffee. I feel like I've graduated to another level of appreciation...

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

Just made my first French Press coffee. I feel like I've graduated to another level of appreciation...

I know the feeling. I used the French press at the office today and then everyone wanted me to make one because I mentioned I bought one on amazon. Now I'm the coffee expert among everyone......what a rep :stare:

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet

simosimo posted:

I know the feeling. I used the French press at the office today and then everyone wanted me to make one because I mentioned I bought one on amazon. Now I'm the coffee expert among everyone......what a rep :stare:

I've been gradually getting into it. I used to only buy the ground DD stuff. But I got a grinder in January and bought good beans. Now I'm onto the French Press. It's really tiny though, I can only make one cup at a time. Next I'll get a nicer grinder I think. And then maybe get into espresso.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

And then maybe get into espresso.

Unless you plan on spending quite a bit of money, decent espresso is tough to make. At a bare bare minimum you're looking at $500. I use a Gaggia Classic and a Capresso Infinity which is pretty much the cheapest set up that I'd recommend and I crave something better. My next purchase big purchase as far as coffee goes will be a better grinder for sure.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
Royal mail couldn't deliver my parcel because it was too big.....my......3 cup (1 UK mug) french press. gently caress you guys :colbert:

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
It's not going to fit through your letterbox is it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

Pissflaps posted:

It's not going to fit through your letterbox is it.

We have have a Large post box for parcels which get left in there right outside our front door. If a 50x50cm box can fit in there a French press box certainly can. Anyways it's out for re delivery so all is good. As you can tell I'm quite excited (and yearning for coffee) :)