Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

deong posted:

Twiin, did you drop the Denver show on the 20th? A guy gave me a flyer last night and I think that's what he was saying.

I'm not on the Denver date -- my last show is the Ohio one before that. There was some kind of miscommunication on that which led to me being on the initial flyers/promo. There was even one dude who posted on my FB page about how he just bought his plane ticket to Denver to come see me play. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Twiin posted:

I'm not on the Denver date -- my last show is the Ohio one before that. There was some kind of miscommunication on that which led to me being on the initial flyers/promo. There was even one dude who posted on my FB page about how he just bought his plane ticket to Denver to come see me play. :(

Well drat. I was hoping to ask you about stairs and everything.. I'm guessing you don't have another tour/date in mind when you will make it here?

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

deong posted:

Well drat. I was hoping to ask you about stairs and everything.. I'm guessing you don't have another tour/date in mind when you will make it here?

No dates planned right now. Denver is tough. It's so out of the way of everything, the only ways to really hit it up are in the middle of a cross-country tour or as a fly-out date, and I don't know any promoters that are big enough fans to do the fly-out. I'd love to play there, but I don't know if/when I'll be passing through, you know?

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I've got a new EP out and there's some stuff that might interest you guys on there! It still isn't all that industrial per se, but it's music made by a guy who loves this poo poo, and I'd love to hear what people in this thread think about it :)

molotoveverything
Oct 18, 2010
I don't really listen to this genre anymore, but I've been checking up on things occasionally just because I found and still find the drama in the scene interesting. The last incidents that come to memory involved Ashbury Heights and Funker Vogt. Now it seems like the focus is on CC and Nachtmahr, though I wouldn't shake my head at the members of "ad-very-sary" for what they did. I think what "Twiin" did was both awesome and overdue. That fact that you guys presented your thoughts without resorting to personal attacks made it even better.

Anyways why does this scene (a very small one as well) inescapably seems to be tied to all sorts of drama? It's such a small scene, yet every time I check up on things I'm bound to find some sort of controversy in the scene itself.

molotoveverything fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jul 14, 2012

Quirk
Oct 11, 2004

You might surprise yourself.

molotoveverything posted:

Anyways why does this scene (a very small one as well) inescapably seems to be tied to all sorts of drama? It's such a small scene, yet every time I check up on things I'm bound to find some sort of controversy in the scene itself.

Becuase it's a dead genre of children who like everything related to the music more than music itself. Drama is staple now just like privileged bro fucks with drum machines angry they have nothing to be angry about.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Quirk posted:

Becuase it's a dead genre of children who like everything related to the music more than music itself.

Can you blame them, honestly? Some of these people were in grade school when industrial was still relevant musically.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

TOOT BOOT posted:

Can you blame them, honestly? Some of these people were in grade school when industrial was still relevant musically.

When was that exactly? I didn't get the memo.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Since we're talking about "the scene" and what's wrong with it (:suicide:), I guess this is relevant: http://www.idieyoudie.com/2012/07/storytime-with-uncle-pathogen-july-12th-2012/

Not that I endorse his views.

Personally, I don't care if the genre is dead or not... the old stuff is still available to listen to (aside from some hard-to-find albums), and there are other areas in which the stuff that made industrial interesting is still being explored. Sure, "industrial night" at the club tends to be a total shitshow, but whatever. There's plenty of interesting, experimental music out there.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

I agree with some of that, but a couple of things:

quote:

Secondly, as many people have commented on before, when industrial reaches out to other genres, the exchange is generally one-way. Play The Presets at an industrial event and you’ll probably get a good reaction. Play Suicide Commando at an electro night and you’ll just get people wondering what the hell is wrong with you.
I'm not seeing this one-way reaction from the mainstream culture. Doesn't industrial music have a mainstream presence in Germany? Isn't Germany the global center of industrial music? In the United States, I've heard Front 242 STILL played in mainstream nightclubs after Usher and before Justin Timberlake. (I'm not kidding.) I hear VNV Nation played in coffeeshops next to My Bloody Valentine. Nine Inch Nails. Argh bargle.

quote:

You’ve chosen to make music catered to a scene for which one of the greatest luminaries is a guy that routinely dressed like the Egyptian god of the dead and taped raw meat to himself. If you think you’re going to achieve Tiesto levels of financial success doing industrial music no matter what it mutates into, you need a serious reality check.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46NmkGdgg94

molotoveverything
Oct 18, 2010
VNV Nation played in coffee shops, where you do live?

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

quote:

Secondly, as many people have commented on before, when industrial reaches out to other genres, the exchange is generally one-way. Play The Presets at an industrial event and you’ll probably get a good reaction. Play Suicide Commando at an electro night and you’ll just get people wondering what the hell is wrong with you.

Interestingly, there are two annual industrial festivals fairly local to me and exactly zero electro fests (even clubnights are pretty sparse). I have to make a 4 hour train journey for anything like that.

'Musical relevance' is seemingly geographic.

Quirk
Oct 11, 2004

TOOT BOOT posted:

I was broken in by Mortal Kombat soundtracks in elementary school, but I can still see how much of this crap is old hat and masturbatory.

Edit - gently caress I'm old, MK soundtrack :argh:

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

molotoveverything posted:

VNV Nation played in coffee shops, where you do live?
Texas, if you can believe it. I remember seeing a big VNV Nation sticker on the back of a car in El Paso once, too. Which might not be where you'd expect to see that.

I mean, they're not hugely popular or anything, but they're pretty successful for a touring act these days. Going to one of their shows feels comparable to another popular touring band. I don't know if that qualifies as mainstream success (though why not?) but it doesn't feel like being in the gothic-industrial ghetto when you go.

Edit: I posted Marilyn Manson as a response to him saying you can't be an industrial Tiesto. But it's probably important to remember that music is tough for everyone these days. Not even people who make Tiesto's style of music are ever going to be Tiesto either.

Ivan Shitskin fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jul 18, 2012

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I'm gonna print this motherfucker out, frame it and stare at it forever

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Aufzug Taube! posted:

Edit: I posted Marilyn Manson as a response to him saying you can't be an industrial Tiesto. But it's probably important to remember that music is tough for everyone these days. Not even people who make Tiesto's style of music are ever going to be Tiesto either.

I think that's what he meant by it. Especially with industrial you just can't realistically count on your music getting enough fans that you'll get to live by it, let alone get rich (especially if you aren't from Germany where you can enjoy some success even outside the "Schwarze Szene"), where with mainstream dance music it's definitely easier to get success through club play or a remix that hits the right spot. People like Manson or Reznor are extreme cases, and I understand that Manson isn't doing that hot nowadays either. Reznor is, but then again he's literally a loving genius and actually knows what he's doing.

I read a Peter Spilles interview once where he told that he's one of the few very lucky people in the scene who can actually live doing music. 20 years of being at the forefront of the scene and continuously touring, recording and putting out music means he can live pretty well in a small apartment in Hamburg and get his groceries at an organic shop around the corner. And he's one of the bigger guys. If I had to guess other people who probably get to live on music in the scene, I'd list dudes like Leeb, Sascha K, Naghavi, Chris Pohl, the bigger NDH names like OOMPH! and Eisbrecher... It's definitely not a big list.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I'm pretty sure VNV Nation is on that list. I think Covenant live from their music as well, but get the impression they don't do as well as the others.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

teethgrinder posted:

I'm pretty sure VNV Nation is on that list. I think Covenant live from their music as well, but get the impression they don't do as well as the others.

Yeah, def. I'm sure you could add more names there too, I was just throwing out a couple. I recall reading somewhere that Montelius was a teacher and might still be (which is why he doesn't play live anymore..? Not sure about this one). In any case it's not a lot of people, and the point is that these are all hardcore veterans who've been at it for decades and have worked their asses off to be get where they are now. It's definitely possible to get your living from this kind of music but success won't happen overnight as it might in a more mainstream-oriented scene and you're going to have to work for it.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jul 18, 2012

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
I always figured VNV supplemented their income by being gas engineers, I'm pretty sure they fixed my boiler one time. They have the overalls and everything.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

Yeah, def. I'm sure you could add more names there too, I was just throwing out a couple. I recall reading somewhere that Montelius was a teacher and might still be (which is why he doesn't play live anymore..? Not sure about this one).

I was told this as well - he wasn't with them on a date I saw them at a few years ago and one of the promoters said that he couldn't get the time off teaching.

There was a whole bunch of bands I liked in the early 00s who all abruptly stopped releasing anything, and I eventually worked out from interviews I saw later that it was because they'd been students/unemployed while they made music and then ended up getting jobs and not having time any more.

Quirk
Oct 11, 2004

New Birthday Massacre just announced minutes ago. :neckbeard:

quote:

With every new album from The Birthday Massacre, we see a band that has created not only its own distinct niche in the musical landscape, but also seems to have created its own world. This time, we play Hide and Seek in that world. The new album from The Birthday Massacre opens with rain, and ends with the sounds of waves; in between we are given songs of lost girls, lost love, lost time. The delicate interplay between Chibi’s vocals and the ambiance created by Rainbow, M. Falcore, Rhim, Owen & Nate is on full display. Dark new wave hooks and haunting synths turn sinister as Rainbow and Falcore’s guitars lead Hide and Seek into ever darker, ever more beautiful corners of The Birthday Massacre’s world.

Hide and Seek is also available as a Limited Edition 180-gram vinyl!

01. Leaving Tonight
02. Down
03. Play With Fire
04. Need
05. Calling
06. Alibis
07. One Promise
08. In This Moment
09. Cover My Eyes
10. The Long Way Home

somethingwicked
May 5, 2006

Hai!

Quirk posted:

New Birthday Massacre just announced minutes ago. :neckbeard:

I didn't enjoy Pins and Needles as much as Walking with Strangers, but I'm excited as poo poo for this. All the haters can eat a dick :slick:

Konstruct
Jul 22, 2007

I'm Going To Spread Saikyo All Over The World!!

Danger - Octopus! posted:

There was a whole bunch of bands I liked in the early 00s who all abruptly stopped releasing anything, and I eventually worked out from interviews I saw later that it was because they'd been students/unemployed while they made music and then ended up getting jobs and not having time any more.

That's the loving truth, working full time will make writing/recording an album take 6 months to a year to finish. Unemployed I guesstimate it taking about a month.

mcstanb
Mar 21, 2011

teethgrinder posted:

VNV nation definitely has some sort of other forms of income as well. When they came to Estonia, I was helping out the organizer and at one point Harris stayed at the hotel and didn't come to town to hang out, because he had some work to do. So there's that.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Maybe it was a remix deadline. :)

Tere tere Kanada'st.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
In case you don't already hate Side-Line, here they are posting an article about how terrible it was for Madonna to call a Nazi a Nazi.

I do love that the comments are mostly people yelling at S-L for being awful or yelling at the people defending S-L.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Pope Guilty posted:

In case you don't already hate Side-Line, here they are posting an article about how terrible it was for Madonna to call a Nazi a Nazi.

I do love that the comments are mostly people yelling at S-L for being awful or yelling at the people defending S-L.

Yeah this is pretty ridiculous. I don't even know why I still follow them on Facebook. Maybe at this point it's just for the hilarious drama and general idiocy :v: It does need to be noted that that article was actually written by a couple of French correspondents instead of the normal SL crew of idiots, though (doesn't help the fact that they still published the story, of course).

In other news

You 'Mericans going? I still haven't had the opportunity to see Covenant live, I really really want to :(

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I've seen them three times and have a ticket for the Toronto show. Eskil is a fantastic genial frontman. I'll just miss Imperative Reaction opening for them yet again (seriously).

The loving promoter keeps updating the Facebook event and it emails me every time. It and she are beyond irritating. The worst news ever though was that Ayria was a new surprise opener :(

I'm just going to keep going until they loving play Monochrome, in my top 3 all-time favourite songs.

Zaiquiri
Mar 14, 2007
I've never really listened to Covenant that much but they're playing on my birthday in my city so maybe I'll check them out before getting Birthday Hammered.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007
Does anyone know what happened to Standeg? They released an EP and an album back in 08 and seemed to have disappeared from the face of the earth since. A shame since I really loved them.

For those who don't know Standeg is (was?) two former members of Haujobb. Among other things they made an amazing version of Homes & Gardens (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2J6qugiG4U).

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

teethgrinder posted:

I've seen them three times and have a ticket for the Toronto show. Eskil is a fantastic genial frontman. I'll just miss Imperative Reaction opening for them yet again (seriously).

I've seen Covenant a few times and it's basically 50/50 as to whether you'll get a great show, or a dodgy show where Eskil is too loving drunk to even talk to the crowd between songs and forgets the words. The great ones are awesome though, pity about the others.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable
They also have a habit of forgetting their most popular songs which never fails to irritate people.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Danger - Octopus! posted:

I've seen Covenant a few times and it's basically 50/50 as to whether you'll get a great show, or a dodgy show where Eskil is too loving drunk to even talk to the crowd between songs and forgets the words. The great ones are awesome though, pity about the others.

Hah, when I saw Covenant live years ago, Eskil got lost singing One World, One Sky and just sort of stood on stage like :shrug:. It still was a great show though.

molotoveverything
Oct 18, 2010
How many people could possibly show up at a Covenant gig in the states anyways? There weren't that many people when I saw VNV Nation from my experience in last December and VNV Nation is much more popular band. I'll be seeing them though, they're probably my favorite in the genre.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

One of my friends just put an album out for free.

http://soulofthemachine.bandcamp.com/album/autoschismatic

He really likes 90's industrial, so it's got a lo-fi early NIN vibe to is, so any listens or pass alongs if you are into that type of stuff are appreciated!

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007
So y'all should probably get the recording of Monumental Retro-avant-garde It's really good.

And it has the best version of Across the Universe ever recorded.

Hedenius fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Jul 22, 2012

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.
Jeez, I haven't posted here for ages! :siren:MY GIRLFRIEND:siren:'s band, Axxon, have finally released their first single, "Bite Your Tongue" for free download. She's also a goon, but doesn't post much around these parts.

It's a maxi single with a couple of remixes, a creepy ambient track and a cover of Depeche Mode's "Dangerous". It's EBM / Industrial metal and pretty much the only band in the country that sounds like this.

So yeah, free music for your earholes! :toot:

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Radio Paranoia posted:

Jeez, I haven't posted here for ages! :siren:MY GIRLFRIEND:siren:'s band, Axxon, have finally released their first single, "Bite Your Tongue" for free download. She's also a goon, but doesn't post much around these parts.

It's a maxi single with a couple of remixes, a creepy ambient track and a cover of Depeche Mode's "Dangerous". It's EBM / Industrial metal and pretty much the only band in the country that sounds like this.

So yeah, free music for your earholes! :toot:

This is really good! South Africa, if memory serves?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
Just got home from a festival that had Hocico , VNV Nation and Combichrist playing on the same night. Hocico didn't attract a very big audience and honestly was boring after 15 minutes. But holy poo poo VNV Nation, felt like the whole festival came and everyone sang along. VNV loved us and we loved them :unsmith:

Then after they finished I bolted right into the Combichrist group and five minutes later the whole festival was dancing again to "Get your body beat". One of my best nights in my life, ever.