Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Someguy
Jul 15, 2001

by Lowtax

Magni posted:

The Rights of Man 3 for Shogun 2 isn't bad. It does introduce new battlefield units, but they're using already existing models and textures, so there's no real slowdown. Campaign gameplay and battles are considerably spiced up and rebalanced.

Kingdoms is jsut a series of mini-campaigns, though there's some mods (Retrofit IIRC) that put its features (bunch of new units, two-handed swordsmen rebalanced etc.) over to the Medieval 2 main campaign.

Does The Rights of Man 3 require any of the DLC or can I just do it up with the stock game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DKD
Dec 25, 2011

Gringo Heisenberg posted:

I missed the Shogun 2 super cheap sale, any chance it'll be less than 10 bux again this summer? And how does it compare to RTW? I really, really, really love Rome and can play it endlessly (vanilla). I tried the Shogun 2 demo and I got obliterated over and over again on the one battle.

I think it's 75% off on Amazon now; it's Steamworks, so it doesn't really matter where you buy it.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I don't think TROM of ETW/NTW or Shogun 2 needs DLC to run.

Is Stainless Steel like a default long campaign set up then?

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

SeanBeansShako posted:

Stainless Steel is pretty much just a normal, vanilla Medieval 2 campaign but better in every way.

Crab Battle
Jan 16, 2010

Haha! Yeah!

Someguy posted:

Am I the only one who had a problem with MTW2's Stainless Steel mod? I would get maybe 60 turns deep, then the next turn the game would freeze or there would be some terrible error that would prevent me from continuing. I was also looking for a mod that was similar to SS in what it changes to the strategy map, but leaves the battle units the same (since my laptop can run MTW2 at max everything on vanilla, but SS chugs along during battles with all the crap they added).

Or perhaps a similar mod for Shogun 2? Something that spices up the strategy map gameplay but leaves the real time battles and units alone? I tried that Darthmod or whatever, but it was horribly buggy and didn't work correctly.

I had the same issue with Stainless Steel, it doesn't seem very stable at the moment.

My problems have been on the most recent (v6.4), does anyone know if any earlier versions might be worth looking at?

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
I just picked up Fall of the Samurai the other day. How does a campaign tend to play out if you stay completely traditional and avoid modernized units?

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
From experience you'll make more money as a traditionalist faction because even the best traditionalist units have pretty low upkeep compared to modernised ones. You have to abandon your principles for naval warfare though (since all the ships are modern) and even a traditionalist army should probably take a couple of Parrott Guns for fire support (which are technically modern units but don't require any special research, from what I remember).

The Aizu are the best for this. Funnily enough, although they're the most traditionalist faction, they also have unique replacements for levy infantry and line infantry and so on - being traditionalist versions of those. I didn't use them, but they're there.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Someguy posted:

Does The Rights of Man 3 require any of the DLC or can I just do it up with the stock game?

I think you don't need DLC, though it does actually support it in the sense of revamping the DLC factions. (The mod is strictly for the Shogun 2 campaign, not Rise or Fall). Can't remember, but it shouldn't be hard to find out. TRoM3 has it's own sub-forum on twcenter.

SeanBeansShako posted:

I don't think TROM of ETW/NTW or Shogun 2 needs DLC to run.

SS has two differrent big campaign set-ups (differrent starting date and hence slightly differrent political map; the late start begins with the Mongols having just arrived and the Teutonic Order already established in the baltic region for example, while both appear as setpiece events in the early start campaign) that are the classic campaign map minus the Americas, but with the map actually being expanded somewhat farther east. It then completely revamps just about every faction, introduces several new ones(including some from the Kingdoms campaigns, like the Teutonic Order and the Crusader States) and implements a recruitment system that allows you to train region-specific troops (take some provinces in England for example and you can train Longbowmen with the right buildings there once they are unlocked) and changes your recruitment options as time moves forward in a style similar to the gunpowder event in the vanilla campaign.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Giggily posted:

There's a good chance it's going to be a deal again on the last day of the Summer Sale, so just wait for that.

Also how are you supposed to deal with FOTS line infantry with vanilla Shogun 2 units?

If you're talking multiplayer than you can uncheck mixed battles so you don't have to fight FOTS players.

Honestly though, once you learn how to fight against FOTS armies as vanilla it can actually be easier than going up against a regular opponent.

Basically, most FOTS players are idiots and will blow almost their entire load on line infantry and/or artilery. If they've done this, then you're golden.

Take a fuckton of cav (this is the most important part) and a bunch of melee swordsmen. At low levels tons of Loan Swords will do, otherwise low-level vetted katana samuari are good too. If you have ROTS then take some of those cheapo attendant dudes as well. You should greatly outnumber him unit-wise since his guys are much more expensive than yours.

What you want to do is advance quickly (in loose formation if he has arty) from multiple directions, taking advantage of any trees or hills you can to block LOS. Focus your cav on running his off the field ASAP. Once you've done that, you can basically surround him with your cav while you bring your infantry into melee from several angles. This will spread his firepower thin as he tries cover everywhere at once.

Send some lovely units out ahead of your main force to take the brunt of the casualties so your good dudes can get there unharmed. You can also suicide ram your cav into his men right as you make your infantry advance, this will prevent them from firing as they get dispersed and stuck in melee with the cav.

tl;dr
-Bring LOTS of cav
-Kill all his cav
-Buttfuck him from all angles

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Magni posted:

It then completely revamps just about every faction, introduces several new ones(including some from the Kingdoms campaigns, like the Teutonic Order and the Crusader States) and implements a recruitment system that allows you to train region-specific troops (take some provinces in England for example and you can train Longbowmen with the right buildings there once they are unlocked) and changes your recruitment options as time moves forward in a style similar to the gunpowder event in the vanilla campaign.

I'm afraid the answer to this question is going to point back to me being an idiot, but which version are you playing? I know that region-specific unit recruitment was in 4.1, but I thought it was taken out sometime between then and 6.4. I played a game as Sicily where I took over the entire British Isles, but I never saw any longbowmen available.

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh

GordonTheDeadFish posted:

My problems have been on the most recent (v6.4), does anyone know if any earlier versions might be worth looking at?

Honestly I'd stick with 6.2. It's the most stable version, and it dates before one of the modders on TWcenter made Stainless Steel his own vanity project and added a bunch of his favorite "realism" mods. Unit types appearing at the proper eras and whatnot.

Karanas fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jul 15, 2012

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Spakstik posted:

I'm afraid the answer to this question is going to point back to me being an idiot, but which version are you playing? I know that region-specific unit recruitment was in 4.1, but I thought it was taken out sometime between then and 6.4. I played a game as Sicily where I took over the entire British Isles, but I never saw any longbowmen available.

It was 6.4 IIRC, I dimly remember building some of the buildings introduced by 6.3 or 6.4. The Longbowmen aren't avaiable early on, there's a specific historical event that will fire in a certain year (can't remember) and unlock them.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Picked up FOTS on the Steam sale. Really enjoying it. I'm fighting against the Emperor with as many traditional units as possible. I'm pleasantly surprised at how doable it is. Archers outrange standard gun units (140 vs 135) and katana & yari infantry can easily take them in melee. Ninjas make siege battles a cakewalk, too:
-Position your ninjas (I always have at least 4 units) as near as possible to the keep.
-Hold your ninjas at the start of the battle. Make sure they're not too close and are detected.
-Use any artillery you have to blow open the gates (if you haven't sabotaged them), take out towers, thin numbers, etc.
-Bumrush the walls with your main force and try to occupy as many of the enemy's units as possible.
-Use your ninja's sprint and stealth ability to quickly get to and up the walls. Send one to cap the keep, starting the 60 victory counter, and the others to take over any towers and engage incoming units.
I also like to keep any cavalry hidden in any trees/brush at the opposite gate when they're sabotaged before the battle. Once the main forces are engaged, I'll rush in and flank them with horsies.

The pacing of everything feels increased, but not to a hurried degree, too. I'd been playing Empire before the Steam sale, and everything just felt so slow. Troops take forever to march, canon take forever to reload, etc. FOTS just feels so much more snappy. Maybe I never noticed it in Shogun 2 because of the lack of guns and artillery.

divernb
Feb 15, 2012

Pope Mobile posted:

Picked up FOTS on the Steam sale. Really enjoying it. I'm fighting against the Emperor with as many traditional units as possible. I'm pleasantly surprised at how doable it is. Archers outrange standard gun units (140 vs 135) and katana & yari infantry can easily take them in melee. Ninjas make siege battles a cakewalk, too:
-Position your ninjas (I always have at least 4 units) as near as possible to the keep.
-Hold your ninjas at the start of the battle. Make sure they're not too close and are detected.
-Use any artillery you have to blow open the gates (if you haven't sabotaged them), take out towers, thin numbers, etc.
-Bumrush the walls with your main force and try to occupy as many of the enemy's units as possible.
-Use your ninja's sprint and stealth ability to quickly get to and up the walls. Send one to cap the keep, starting the 60 victory counter, and the others to take over any towers and engage incoming units.
I also like to keep any cavalry hidden in any trees/brush at the opposite gate when they're sabotaged before the battle. Once the main forces are engaged, I'll rush in and flank them with horsies.

The pacing of everything feels increased, but not to a hurried degree, too. I'd been playing Empire before the Steam sale, and everything just felt so slow. Troops take forever to march, canon take forever to reload, etc. FOTS just feels so much more snappy. Maybe I never noticed it in Shogun 2 because of the lack of guns and artillery.

I also picked up FOTS during the sale, and it is a blast. I really like the way that gunpowder units are represented VS the traditional Japanese units. They're incredibly powerful, but traditionalist units are still a great asset to have (Especially when assaulting inside of castle walls)

Cannons and Naval bombardments are awesome. The only thing I disagree on is the speed of the battles, I think I preferred the slower pace of Empire. Ever since I started playing Shogun 2, I feel like the melee between units is over too quickly.

I remember having a hellacious battle in Empire where the British had bunker'd down behind a concrete wall, and the only way to uproot them was to charge. The ensuing melee lasted 15 nerve wracking minutes as flanks folded, lines broke, etc.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I'm in desperate need of advice on dealing with cavalry archer armies in M2:TW. They feel like such bullshit units, and the AI micros them really well to the point where all battles are starting to feel like a chore.

I'm playing through a long Crusades campaign as Kingdom of Jerusalem and my knights just feel completely useless. Egypt just keeps throwing stupid horse army after stupid horse army at me. Like 70% cavalry archers and 30% heavy infantry and other support.

It's not that I can't win the battles but I always take heavy, heavy losses against them when I run a standard 40/20/40% infantry support, infantry archers, cavalry mix with typical formations and tactics. My feeling is that if the enemy army is so one-dimensional composition-wise that I should be able to find a similarly one-dimensional composition that counters it. Though I have been reading that cavalry archers don't really have a rock/paper/scissors type counter due to their mobility, which is definitely discouraging.

I suppose I could take comfort in the fact that a cavalry archer army probably won't have much success taking any of my castles and cities, and instead just set out to invade egyptian settlements going for a slow economic burn. Looking for any advice I can get at this point though. :(

divernb
Feb 15, 2012

Siets posted:

I'm in desperate need of advice on dealing with cavalry archer armies in M2:TW. They feel like such bullshit units, and the AI micros them really well to the point where all battles are starting to feel like a chore.

I'm playing through a long Crusades campaign as Kingdom of Jerusalem and my knights just feel completely useless. Egypt just keeps throwing stupid horse army after stupid horse army at me. Like 70% cavalry archers and 30% heavy infantry and other support.

It's not that I can't win the battles but I always take heavy, heavy losses against them when I run a standard 40/20/40% infantry support, infantry archers, cavalry mix with typical formations and tactics. My feeling is that if the enemy army is so one-dimensional composition-wise that I should be able to find a similarly one-dimensional composition that counters it. Though I have been reading that cavalry archers don't really have a rock/paper/scissors type counter due to their mobility, which is definitely discouraging.

I suppose I could take comfort in the fact that a cavalry archer army probably won't have much success taking any of my castles and cities, and instead just set out to invade egyptian settlements going for a slow economic burn. Looking for any advice I can get at this point though. :(

The nice thing about cavalry archers is they're pretty much normal archers when in a city, and the AI maneuvers them very clumsily. Out on a field though, it's much tougher. I remember stacking less infantry, and more heavy cavalry to try and heard them into choke points. Other than that, I avoided any open field battles if I possibly could.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Given that basic horse archers are bigger targets, and more often than not have poor armour, massed low-level archers sometimes works wonders. You'll have more arrows in flight per unit, and the horses take greater casualties per arrow from being so big.

Against more highly armoured cav archers, however, go with divernb's advice.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Thanks for the advice. Tomorrow I'll see if I can chip away at the ridiculous 6-army Egyptian horde that is currently sitting outside of Ascalon right now in my game. Ugh. :smith:

Also, is there any other way to deal with enemy priests other than just assassinating them? That's what I've been doing until I realized it was skyrocketing my faction leader's dread when all the long I've been trying for a high, chivalrous reputation. I read something about using your own priests to denounce others, but I clicked on a max level priest I had and didn't see the option available.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Siets posted:

Thanks for the advice. Tomorrow I'll see if I can chip away at the ridiculous 6-army Egyptian horde that is currently sitting outside of Ascalon right now in my game. Ugh. :smith:

Also, is there any other way to deal with enemy priests other than just assassinating them? That's what I've been doing until I realized it was skyrocketing my faction leader's dread when all the long I've been trying for a high, chivalrous reputation. I read something about using your own priests to denounce others, but I clicked on a max level priest I had and didn't see the option available.

Do you want to game it?

Grab nine units, surround the priest with your units and when you've made a full square around him send a unit to the middle. The priest will have nowhere to go and will die a confusing death. This works with any non military unit in the game.

And there's a reason why CA made it so that you could only buy the same unit three times in multiplayer*. Spamming a full stack of cheap Turkish horse archers with silver chevrons was hilarious. Stick to walls, the AI tends to be dumb and will always try an assault if they have superior numbers even if the majority of their army are horse archers. If you're in the open you can try to spread your units out with a few light(poo poo) troops in the front to soak up arrows. I honestly think that if the Ottoman Empire had the roster it has on Medieval 2 they'd be the best faction on Napoleon\Empire Total War.

*I think you can buy it more than three times but it becomes extremely expensive.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Mans posted:

Do you want to game it?

Grab nine units, surround the priest with your units and when you've made a full square around him send a unit to the middle. The priest will have nowhere to go and will die a confusing death. This works with any non military unit in the game.
I must say I am sorely tempted at employing this against the obnoxious uberbusinessmen that my "allies" send down my way to clean up all of my prospects. If I assassinate, I believe it breaks the alliance no?

Seriously there's no other legit way to deal with enemy priests than assassination or having more priests up in your land?

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think you can only "defeat" heretics. For some reason your priest can battle against a Calvinist or a Lollard but encountering an Orthodox or a Pagan priest is like fighting a brick wall.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

I hope they remove managing buildings in cities and just stick with a tech tree similar to the one in Empire. That was easy to deal with,then just have unit type production dependent either on special cities or population.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Siets posted:

I must say I am sorely tempted at employing this against the obnoxious uberbusinessmen that my "allies" send down my way to clean up all of my prospects. If I assassinate, I believe it breaks the alliance no?

Seriously there's no other legit way to deal with enemy priests than assassination or having more priests up in your land?

No, assassination just seriously sours relations. On a related note, chivalry is entirely a personal trait has nothing to do with diplomatic reputation - you can stab everyone all day every day and mercilessly tax your subjects and still have a spotless reputation. Just remember to occupy your castles instead of sacking them, and to release prisoners whenever it's safe to do so, ransoming if not.

In other words, assassinate away.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Tomn posted:

No, assassination just seriously sours relations. On a related note, chivalry is entirely a personal trait has nothing to do with diplomatic reputation - you can stab everyone all day every day and mercilessly tax your subjects and still have a spotless reputation. Just remember to occupy your castles instead of sacking them, and to release prisoners whenever it's safe to do so, ransoming if not.

In other words, assassinate away.

Ah I see. Well in this case I'm already at war with EgyptTHE HORSE LORDS so I guess making that relationship worse by executing enemy priests isn't that big of a deal.

It gets me dread too which also makes my commander more effective on the battlefield as enemy units are more easily routed. I just recall the tutorial saying something about "you want to pick your path: either dread or chivalry" and that's where I was getting hung up.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Siets posted:

Ah I see. Well in this case I'm already at war with EgyptTHE HORSE LORDS so I guess making that relationship worse by executing enemy priests isn't that big of a deal.

It gets me dread too which also makes my commander more effective on the battlefield as enemy units are more easily routed. I just recall the tutorial saying something about "you want to pick your path: either dread or chivalry" and that's where I was getting hung up.

Well, if I recall aright, dread lowers enemy morale and helps with public order, while chivalry boosts your morale and seriously increases population growth/public order. In general, dreaded generals are better for your main battle armies, while chivalrous generals are best at managing up-and-coming settlements to develop them faster. The reason why it's best to try and stack only one kind of trait is because if you have, say, +9 dread and +8 chivalry from traits, you effectively have 1 dread, which is nigh worthless.

The fact that your diplomatic reputation has nothing to do with how chivalrous you are and how many innocent merchants, diplomats, and princesses you brutally murder is a bit weird, but hey, I'm not complaining.

Also, in case you're wondering, the point of having a high diplomatic reputation is mainly that it makes other nations more willing to accept deals from you - most importantly, peace deals. With low reputation they can have literally one sick and dying soldier garrisoning a village against nine stacks and they'll never agree to surrender, while with high reputation it's really, really easy to convince enemy nations to give up settlements that none of your armies are even near (although you do usually need to have an army or two near or sieging one of their weaker garrisons first to convince them you mean business.)

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.

Siets posted:

Cavalry archers are a bullshit enemy in real life. The best way to beat them is with archers with better range behind heavily armored troops. Longbow and crossbow in a loose formation behind dismounted knights should do the trick.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Darth Mod for Shogun 2 has way too many options to configure. What mods, if any, do people recommend? I am not interested in graphics mods, only gameplay ones.

Also, did anyone ever mod Napoleon to get a large, global campaign with the improved AI and other improvements that the game provided?

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Diogines posted:

Darth Mod for Shogun 2 has way too many options to configure. What mods, if any, do people recommend? I am not interested in graphics mods, only gameplay ones.

Also, did anyone ever mod Napoleon to get a large, global campaign with the improved AI and other improvements that the game provided?

I think vanilla Shogun is just fine, so I don't use any mods.

As for Empire & Napoleon I think those games are pretty much locked-down in terms of modding ability. Most mods just change balance and add units. CA has received quite a bit of flak about this.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

They can't really 'add' units as models can't be uploaded or animated. They reskin the stuff they got (fairily well) and change the stats.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender

Diogines posted:

The base Shogun 2 gameplay is quite good and doesn't really need mods until you get bored with it or find out something thats a dealbreaker for you. Food is a bit of a pain in base shogun 2, but thats fixed in rise and fall since its in there as a way to prevent blitzkreig and those use other mechanics to prevent it instead.

Basically, play without mods to start and then let us know what you want changed so we can point you in the right direction. Its a great game unmodded.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
Bought Medieval 2 on the steam sale.

How do you get a good economy going in the grand campaign? I initially played a game as England and conquered Scotland and most of France before the fact that I completely neglected any non military buildings caught up with me and I was never able to get out of negative money.

Started a game as Egypt and made sure to spend the early part of the game putting most of my money into farming/trade buildings in 3 of my cities but according to the financial score tab, I was still never higher than 10th on financial score and I ended up just falling behind due to having no money.

What am I missing? I take a bunch of rebel settlements early on with basic cheap units while building up a strong economy in cities that are far behind the frontlines and thus pretty much have 0 chance of ever being sieged yet my income just sucks. In theory this sounded good, but in practice it didn't work at all. Is it better to just be aggressive early and take a bunch of regions and then neglect them?

Space Pussy
Feb 19, 2011

Diogines posted:

Play TROM. Better than vanilla in every way and none of Darth's bloat.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

quote:

How do you get a good economy going in the grand campaign? I initially played a game as England and conquered Scotland and most of France before the fact that I completely neglected any non military buildings caught up with me and I was never able to get out of negative money.

Ports. Sea trade is where the money is when it comes to towns and even castles. It's why the Italian states make so much money-the entire area is coastal cities and islands, which means lots of sea trade(Also they have no damm reason to use castles ever since their 'Militia' is actually good). Paved Roads are worth a massive amount of trade also-if you can build them, do so.

Get trade agreements with as many people as possible, as this increases the trade income for every city in your lands(This is why the early game has everyone asking to make those). Alliances are worth even more, but pick carefully.

Merchants can be worth a bunch, but need shepherding and focus. Don't build them in a city without at least a Town Hall(Negative traits; having the town hall grants a chance at a positive trait), don't train them in a place with a level 4 church or higher(Negative traits again-merchants with religious leanings are bad, apparently), try to train them out of a Merchant Guild(Positive), try to get the Master-level Merchant Guild to help all your merchants(You earn the guild buildings by earning points by building the appropriate buildings-in this case Roads, Ports, and Markets). If you get a good merchant, use him to try and kill other weaker merchants-you get a cash reward for pulling it off and increase your finance at the same time, though it will open him up to assassination via traits reducing his personal security if you keep doing it with the same guy. Get at least the first rank of Monopoly(Your traders need to be trading all of a specific resource in a province. The first rank needs something like 2-3 turns of this). Abuse merchant stacking if and when you find something worth it or to aid with mass monopoly training(I mentioned it on page 1 of this topic).

What counts as 'worth it'? That depends: the value of trade goods is based partly on a good's inherent worth and partly on how close that good is to your capital. I don't remember all the values off the top of my head, but the African settlements have trade goods like Gold and Ivory that are worth a fortune.

And finally a question: What does it take to bribe Rebel towns? Is it still Reputation? I'm thinking of Timbuktu...

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Jul 18, 2012

Vivick
Feb 24, 2007

Are cannon crews in FotS bugged? I just charged a shattered Parrot Gun with my General and lost five horses without killing a single man of theirs.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

THE PWNER posted:

Bought Medieval 2 on the steam sale.

Started a game as Egypt and made sure to spend the early part of the game putting most of my money into farming/trade buildings in 3 of my cities but according to the financial score tab, I was still never higher than 10th on financial score and I ended up just falling behind due to having no money.

What am I missing? I take a bunch of rebel settlements early on with basic cheap units while building up a strong economy in cities that are far behind the frontlines and thus pretty much have 0 chance of ever being sieged yet my income just sucks. In theory this sounded good, but in practice it didn't work at all. Is it better to just be aggressive early and take a bunch of regions and then neglect them?

Besides what Bloodly said, you may want to try converting some of your castles to towns if you have an excess amount of the former. I haven't played the vanilla grand campaign in years, but generally I try to have one castle per "region" (a region being an arbitrary area that I come up with in my head, but generally I try to have an army stationed inside a castle that'll defend the nearby areas). How you define region is up to you, but if you're playing as England then you don't need more than two castles on the British Isles, maybe only one in the vanilla campaign.

What kind of garrisons are you manning your towns and castles with? If you're using castle-produced units, that'll be a huge drain on your economy. A certain number of militia units (it varies by city size) will get free upkeep in cities. You probably won't be able to hold off a full-scale attack with them, but they're useful for keeping order and all that.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Vivick posted:

Are cannon crews in FotS bugged? I just charged a shattered Parrot Gun with my General and lost five horses without killing a single man of theirs.

Oh god they still haven't fixed this!?

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

SeanBeansShako posted:

Oh god they still haven't fixed this!?

Nope. They're still invulnerable while the artillery is limbered. It's the funniest thing to have an Armstrong move slowly around the field and let every one of his yari ki swarm up on it. That's when you bring the Revolver Cav.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

SpaceViking posted:

Nope. They're still invulnerable while the artillery is limbered. It's the funniest thing to have an Armstrong move slowly around the field and let every one of his yari ki swarm up on it. That's when you bring the Revolver Cav.

Oh man, I am so making a custom battle out of this!

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

For the next day you can pretty much buy all Total War Games and their DLC apart from Shogun 2 and its DLC (as well as the first two) in a huge pack 75% off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
I picked up Shogun 2 off the Steam Sale the other day. It's my first game of this genre, so I'm pretty terrible at it and my first campaign (Mori) is getting curbstomped. My biggest problem is that I never seem to have enough money, even with several trade routes and agreements. I've taken three areas and upgraded the resources in two of them, but besides my one big army I barely have enough money each turn to make more than a few ashigaru, which ended up leaving my capitol open for assault from the shameful Hojo clan and THREE huge armies.

At this point I think I'm going to start a new campaign, probably with a different clan. Any good tips on making money?