Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

Darval posted:

But I can't figure out if this is the same thing or nor:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/McGee-Food-Cooking-Encyclopedia-Kitchen/dp/0340831499/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1342528444&sr=8-1

The second one being a lot cheaper.

That's the one I have, it's the version that was updated in 2004.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

That thing on the bottom, the really curvy wire. Kinda looks like a lower-case M. That's every electric oven's heating element that I've ever, ever seen.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

That thing on the bottom, the really curvy wire. Kinda looks like a lower-case M. That's every electric oven's heating element that I've ever, ever seen.

The heating element is covered on the inside of my oven. The floor is just smooth metal for easy cleaning.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
I've never seen something with an exposed coil like that - really!

Must be a bitch to clean?

Also - researching ovens - I found this, and now I kinda want it!

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Happy Hat posted:

Pfft, I live in an apartment, we don't clean the oven!

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best

Happy Hat posted:

Also - researching ovens - I found this, and now I kinda want it!

That's by far the most charming appliance I've ever seen.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
cleaning an oven is one of those things I've never understood. who does this, and why?

I mean if something spills all over the place, sure, get out the scrubbrush and bartenders friend - but otherwise, everything just burns off as you use the oven right? If you're really wanting to "clean" it, just crank it up to 600 for an hour or two, right? this is what you all mean by cleaning the oven.... right?

no-one like... scrubs down the sides of their oven on a regular basis.... right? :psyduck:

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

Industrial revolution has flipped the bitch on evolution.

mindphlux posted:

cleaning an oven is one of those things I've never understood. who does this, and why?

I mean if something spills all over the place, sure, get out the scrubbrush and bartenders friend - but otherwise, everything just burns off as you use the oven right? If you're really wanting to "clean" it, just crank it up to 600 for an hour or two, right? this is what you all mean by cleaning the oven.... right?

no-one like... scrubs down the sides of their oven on a regular basis.... right? :psyduck:

I probably go in once a year and actually clean the bottom and sides but otherwise, no, I don't. I have a gas oven if that means anything.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.

mindphlux posted:

I live in Brooklyn during a pretty hot summer, if I actually put my oven up to clean I would probably die.

Or crank my A/C and live with an obscene electricity bill but that is going to happen anyway :/

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

mindphlux posted:

I have an electric oven with a covered bottom element and an exposed top element and I have to clean the sides and bottom pretty regularly because if oil / fat / detritus builds up too much then it starts producing an absurd amount of smoke and sets the smoke detectors off.

I also have to cover whatever I'm cooking with foil otherwise the fat / oil gets on the top element and makes more smoke :(

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

mindphlux posted:

I set my (electric) oven on fire in Okinawa, so I kinda had to pour a shitload of oven cleaner on it and sit there for an hour and scrape all the drat char and burn out of it. But yeah otherwise I just turn it up ungodly hot every now and then and sweep out any ash after it cools.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

cyberia posted:

I have an electric oven with a covered bottom element and an exposed top element and I have to clean the sides and bottom pretty regularly because if oil / fat / detritus builds up too much then it starts producing an absurd amount of smoke and sets the smoke detectors off.

I also have to cover whatever I'm cooking with foil otherwise the fat / oil gets on the top element and makes more smoke :(

the smoke is good though? I mean that's the whole "cleaning" part, right?

I guess maybe in all my haste to deride oven cleaning, I sort of pinned myself as an oven-cleaner. If I turn my poo poo on to preheat to 550 or whatever to broil, if it starts smoking, I just let it finish smoking, because gotta carbonize that poo poo right? burn it off!

this coming from the guy who purposefully left 20lbs of carrots in the oven at 550 for 5 hours to make vegetable ash. you could barely see to the other end of the kitchen through the haze before I set up some huge rear end fans

girlfriend comes home from work "HOLY poo poo MINDPHLUX SOMETHING IS ON FIRE" *runs to oven to turn it off* and im all no no its ok!! im making vegetable ash!!! :) :) :) *turns oven back to 550*

lol how do I even have a girlfriend with that sort of poo poo

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

mindphlux posted:

the smoke is good though? I mean that's the whole "cleaning" part, right?

I guess maybe in all my haste to deride oven cleaning, I sort of pinned myself as an oven-cleaner. If I turn my poo poo on to preheat to 550 or whatever to broil, if it starts smoking, I just let it finish smoking, because gotta carbonize that poo poo right? burn it off!

this coming from the guy who purposefully left 20lbs of carrots in the oven at 550 for 5 hours to make vegetable ash. you could barely see to the other end of the kitchen through the haze before I set up some huge rear end fans

girlfriend comes home from work "HOLY poo poo MINDPHLUX SOMETHING IS ON FIRE" *runs to oven to turn it off* and im all no no its ok!! im making vegetable ash!!! :) :) :) *turns oven back to 550*

lol how do I even have a girlfriend with that sort of poo poo
Sever, dude, totally.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

hahahaha this owns don't fry gnocchi

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

That was incredible.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

I clean my ovens :colbert:

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I have someone clean my oven for me. :smug:

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.
Cleaning your oven is important for maintaining performance. You heat up the little box and the walls are meant to "reflect" (may not be the scientific term) that heat back into the box. If you have a bunch of crud on the walls/floor of your oven, they'll absorb the heat. That means your oven will lose heat more rapidly, the element will cycle more often, you'll use more energy, and your food will bake less evenly.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

therattle posted:

I have someone clean my oven for me. :smug:

Me too - but I don't trust them to do it properly!

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Oh god, Ecuador trip in just a couple more weeks. I'm currently listening to the following podcasts:

Crimes Against Food
The Dinner Party (I skip the music stuff, because it doesn't interest me, but everything else on there is cool)
Do Ask Do Tell
Let's Get REal
Maangchi's Cooking Show
The Naked Scientist Podcast
Savage Love Podcast
Spilled Milk
Stuff Mom Never Told You
Stuff You Should Know
Tech it or Leave it
TechStuff
A Way With Words (MAJOR favourite of mine; the hosts are so friendly and funny)
Yeast Radio

Because a few of these update on a regular schedule, I know when to expect a new one. The others, however, are sporadic. The flight to Guayaquil from JFK is 6 hours straight. I'll have my computer, but I don't like to whip it out if I can help it, so I tend to stick to my iPhone for entertainment. And I don't really like background music, so podcasts tend to be my go-to entertainment. Anyone got and suggestions for new ones? (Bolded, so that if you don't care to read my rambling, you can just skip it.)

I enjoy podcasts about food, but also about interesting trivia~ish stuff. The only GLBT run ones are the Do Ask Do Tell, and Yeast Radio, because they deal with stuff that isn't going to the gym, gossip, or spending hours talking about who got fat, and why. The podcasts I enjoy about food tend to not be run by douchey hipsters who won't shut the crap up about bacon. I get it. You like pork like products. That's great. There /is/ a whole other world out there for you to eat.

It's why I love Maangchi's Cooking Show, and Spilled Milk so much: they talk about food, but there's a /lot/ of variety in what they cover. Haven't done much listening to the NPR stuff. Constant background music gets on my nerves pretty quick. It's why I couldn't listen to 99% Invisible, which is this pretty awesome show about Architecture and design and the like. The guy has a soothing voice, and seems to be rather nice, but the constant background music distracts me from said soothing voice.

I love a good story. I did used to listen to that one podcast with all those storytellers, but stopped, because of the long plugs in the beginning before the story started. Help me, GWS, you're my only hope.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
BBC has two amazing podcasts which might be available in the US.

1) Desert Island Discs. A fantastic interviewer has well-known or interesting public figures on her show, and talks to them about their lives. They have to choose a number of favourite songs (8, I think), and talk about the memories, their importance, etc. Some are better than others; when they are good, they are excellent,. The recent Martina Navratilova one, for example, was superb.

2) In Our Time with Melvyn Bragg. Intelligent lay-man gathers three experts to talk about a chosen subject for 45 minutes. Again, some are better than others, but they are often extremely informative and interesting. It covers a very wide range of subjects with a particular focus on science and history.

Tig Ol Bitties
Jan 22, 2010

pew pew pew

dino. posted:

I love a good story. I did used to listen to that one podcast with all those storytellers, but stopped, because of the long plugs in the beginning before the story started. Help me, GWS, you're my only hope.

It sounds like you are referring to The Moth, but if you aren't you should try it. I also suggest Radiolab and This American Life. Radiolab is an awesome science podcast that tells all sorts of stories about things hosts Jad Abumrad and Robert Krulwich are curious about. They recently did a very interesting episode about color. Any episodes with Carl Zimmer are gold.
This American Life, hosted by Ira Glass, is a podcast that focuses on a theme for each episode with multiple people sharing stories on that theme. All three of these hosts have relaxing, soothing voices that make travel much more enjoyable.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Hahah download a couple Art Bell Coast 2 Coast episodes and learn THE TRUTH about the aliens among us. :tinfoil:

I love old time radio so I plunder the 30's and 40's for shows like The Shadow, Sam Spade, Nero Wolfe, Sherlock Holmes and others. It's hard to go wrong with them because the production values are excellent and they tell great stories from the golden age of radio.

For weirder it's always fun to listen to Negativlan's Over the Edge podcast. I especially like the 50's Space and 50's UFO shows they've done in the past. The Puzzling Evidence show is a sister show from the Church of the Subgenius that's also crazy as hell.

Why not dig up the Hour of Slack and get some of that old time new time religion?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
This is the site to go to for the best podcast on earth.

http://joefrank.com/index.php

I used to listen to this show in the middle of the night on KCRW. My mind was blown every time.

A small sample. Don't bother watching - just listen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6vVXzqOADo

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Youngest has found out that her iPod has video capabilities, and it is goddamn amazing stuff we get out of that - this will make for a perfect wedding presentation some day!

So far we got:
* An ode to 'Kasper' - 4 minutes of song and dance (Kasper is her baloon that is painted with a face)
* A full 2 minute song about how goddamn annoying her older sister is, while filming said sister, and poking her (until this - she has always been 'cute', and her older sister the one who were blamed for everything)
* A dance show with the hamster
* Herself pooping

This is amazing!

(and this is Kasper)

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:
I need to see the Kasper music video. Please share this.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Mr. Wiggles posted:

This is the site to go to for the best podcast on earth.
http://joefrank.com/index.php

Oh man I forgot about Joe Frank. A friend of mine dubbed a few of his shows onto longass 120min cassettes back in the day. It's a mix of music and storytelling and entrancing craziness that builds and builds around a central theme. Amazing stuff.

Right on Mr. Wiggles!

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

HH you need to have about six more kids and start a traveling family band.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Anyway last night I made this supper. I sauteed some onions (like 5 or something) in bacon grease until they started to just get brown, but before they took color I added lots of crushed caraway. Once the onions were done I did pork loin chops in the same pan with black pepper, salt, and whole sage leaves. Once they were nicely crusted and cooked I deglazed with cider vinegar and added the onions back in to heat up, and I served with home made egg noodles and watermelon on the side. It was really, really good. But I don't know what kind of food this was. Normally if I improv I do it in a particular style, and I suppose I was thinking something vaguely eastern/northern European-ish here, but I can't think of anywhere specific. So what country does a dish like that? Because I want to do more of it.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

Wroughtirony posted:

HH you need to have about six more kids and start a traveling family band.

...the aristocrats.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Ugh, caraway. I hate that stuff. Things I hate, by therattle:
Caraway
Dill
Coriander

For years I did not eat rye bread because I thought that rye bread tasted like caraway.

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

Industrial revolution has flipped the bitch on evolution.

therattle posted:

Ugh, caraway. I hate that stuff. Things I hate, by therattle:
Caraway
Dill
Coriander

For years I did not eat rye bread because I thought that rye bread tasted like caraway.

Pickles make me want to throw up. Actually I like the smell but the thought of putting one in my mouth makes me heave.

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

dino. posted:

Anyone got and suggestions for new ones?

The Smartest Man in the World with Greg Proops. Even if you didn't find him funny on any TV shows, he is amazingly quick-witted and hilarious. Each podcast is a taping of his traveling show where he reads the news, recites poetry, spins yarns about the Seventies, explores history, musicians, baseball, drugs and leftist politics. Here's the thread on it.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

dino. posted:

Anyone got and suggestions for new ones?

So I've been super into Radiolab for the last year. It's pretty science-y and has a great conversational style. It has a lot of fancy sound production, but it's not really background music as such.

I also dig Snap Judgement, which is on in the middle of the night on my local NPR station. Glenn Washington is like, ridiculously cool. The opening story on this episode is pretty great.

I guess these both have that background music you don't really like, but it might be worth a shot. I think they're both great.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

dino. posted:

I like Big Ideas.

This one here is awesome: http://podcasts.tvo.org/bi/audio/2031655_48k.mp3

It's Simon Winchester talking about the history of the Oxford English Dictionary.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I just swallowed a plum pit. I feel silly now.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

You're gonna poop a tree! :iamafag:

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea
A tree will grow in your stomach :ohdear:

Darval
Nov 20, 2007

Shiny.
Once the tree is fully grown and starts bearing plums all year round from the tropic conditions in your stomach, the plums will start to ferment in your belly, and you will be perpetually drunk.

What have you done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

An observer posted:

A tree will grow in your stomach :ohdear:

You idiot, that's chewing gum you're thinking of.