Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iceberg-Slim
Oct 7, 2003

no re okay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

nsaP posted:

I always make this point too and then stuff like this happens http://radio.foxnews.com/toddstarnes/top-stories/elderly-man-foils-robbery-shoots-suspects.html

Granted the only reason the robbers are alive is that the dude is a horrible shot, and there could have been some stray bullets, but there weren't.

The gun holding robber's head is drat loving lucky that guy can't shoot. Center mass wasn't in his vocabulary from the video angles I'm seeing.

I think what makes that a "Fairy Tale" is that conservatives use it as an example of something that happens a lot more than it actually does. Not to mention what that old fucker did was loving stupid; what if instead of running they just turned their guns on everyone else at the cafe?

I still wish they had left the keys in the bulldozer. Imagine an animal in a bulldozer taking out suburbia.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Orange_Lazarus posted:

I still wish they had left the keys in the bulldozer. Imagine an animal in a bulldozer taking out suburbia.

Well done. :)

for those who don't get it (and to meet thread rules)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZbG9i1oGPA

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009

Keshik posted:

This is that guy, who had a concealed weapon and raced to the scene of the attempted assassination of Gabrielle Giffords. He had the self-control to not shoot the man who'd disarmed Loughner and was holding the pistol. He also had the forethought to recognize that if he showed up to the scene of the shooting brandishing his own weapon, he might be assumed by the people there to be a second gunman.

He made these decisions in seconds and as a holder of a concealed weapons permit, I cannot say that I would have been able to use the same discretion that he did in that situation. I have the license to carry a weapon, and I intend to renew that license, but I have never gone into public while armed, and never intend to.

I worry that many gun people took the completely wrong lesson from the Giffords shooting in particular and from various spree killings in general. These things happen very quickly and in extremely close quarters. The vast majority of shootings are between people less than ten feet away from each other and begin and end in less than five seconds.

Some would-be hero running into a crime scene brandishing a gun is more likely to kill innocent people than an armed maniac, or be killed himself. Joe Zamudio is a hero, but not for helping pin down a man four other people had already subdued. He is a hero because he had the courage and fortitude not to just start blasting at the guy with the gun.

Orange_Lazarus posted:

I think what makes that a "Fairy Tale" is that conservatives use it as an example of something that happens a lot more than it actually does. Not to mention what that old fucker did was loving stupid; what if instead of running they just turned their guns on everyone else at the cafe?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNnXPiR877I

NathanScottPhillips fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jul 18, 2012

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous
Student protest today in Brasilia, virtually all universities here in Brazil are on full strike for about two months now.

Here are some pics of how it went on my uni at the beggining of the strike

General student assembly, we voted strike, spirits (and some people) were high. About 400 people stormed after the student strike was declared, they were headed for the dean's office.

This was the occupation of the dean's office in my uni. Naturally, being a goony gently caress, I arrived late. Still slept there a couple of days tho
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbgVQ9LJ1nE

The next day we marched all around the campus trying to get more people for the occupation (the dude with the camera loving loved B&W so bear with me here).

After that most of the teachers adhered the strike, and the vast majority of students went "meh, no classes, cool". I'm thinking of doing a bigass picture report on the whole strike in this thread, just gotta have a little more time. Anyone interested?

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

We've got the American Jesus
Bolstering national faith

We've got the American Jesus
Overwhelming millions every day

bagual posted:

Student Strike Stuff

I'd absolutely love to read it.

Context: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvjfJ6bAi0U

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Yes, this is a decently liked poster on facebook made in 2012.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Mans posted:

Yes, this is a decently liked poster on facebook made in 2012.
This looks very similar to the style of A. Wyatt Mann and as far as I know he did most of his stuff in the 90's. But it's not as that makes it any better.

Wanna go to EDL and BNP rallies with a sign saying "Saxon scum go home. Keep Britain Celtic"

and on that note here's a bunch of Neo-Nazis from around the world:

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jul 19, 2012

TFNC
May 8, 2007

^^^^Capitalism^^^^

bagual posted:

I'm thinking of doing a bigass picture report on the whole strike in this thread, just gotta have a little more time. Anyone interested?

Yes, absolutely. Me, waiting patiently:

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Wrong arm, dipshit.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

FreudianSlippers posted:

This looks very similar to the style of A. Wyatt Mann and as far as I know he did most of his stuff in the 90's. But it's not as that makes it any better.

He's alive and well, unfortunately, so it could be him. Has a radio program too.

quote:

On Nov. 12, 1988, Skinheads in Portland, Ore., who had been influenced by a war operative, beat an Ethiopian student to death. The murderers, (Tom) Metzger said later, had done their "civic duty." In addition to criminal convictions, the killing brought a civil lawsuit by the Southern Poverty Law Center and the Anti-Defamation League that resulted in a $12.5 million verdict against the Metzgers, their organization and two of the killers.

I consider it a black mark against this town that he's allowed to live in it (and get his letters to the paper published) without being forced to fall asleep by the light of a burning white hood staked in his yard every night. But considering Indiana's recent past it's no wonder he found a home.

e: Almost forgot, he also ran for mayor of the town two years ago as a Republican write-in.
http://eastcountymagazine.org/node/3023

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Goddamnit there is a charts and graphs thread I am so dumb tonight

Percent Number of Irish speakers by region

Enjoy fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jul 19, 2012

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

nerdz posted:

Cover for a brazillian magazine depicting the invisible hand of the market crushing the heavy hand of the state. The article itself is kinda tame, though (it says both should keep each other in check).

They are still the closest we have to Fox News though.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Have some random pictures:

quote:

People of Africa, Strangle the Colonizer!

quote:

Public performance art using protest signs with minimalist patterns - Serbia 1973

ljw1004
Jan 18, 2005

rum

Fluo
May 25, 2007

I don't see Lord Archer in there.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

What'd he do? Is he the one that diddled kids? Someone did that, right?

(no idea what this is/says. just something in my folder)

Fluoride Jones
Aug 24, 2009

toot toot

Hunter S. Thompson, no!

Fluo
May 25, 2007

ReidRansom posted:

What'd he do? Is he the one that diddled kids? Someone did that, right?

(no idea what this is/says. just something in my folder)

Perjury and perverting the course of justice!

He sued The Daily Star back in 1987 for an article they posted. He said he didn't do it (in court). He got found out in the early 2000s for lying.

Suing and then lying is pretty dumb.

(He has a lifetime peerage by the way)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6N4IH8aFmuA

Also

quote:

Despite automatically qualifying as a category "D" prisoner given it was a first conviction and he did not pose serious risk of harm to the public, his status as such was suspended pending a police investigation into allegations about his Kurdish charity

quote:

In July 2001, shortly after being jailed for perjury, Archer's name was again shrouded in controversy, when Scotland Yard began investigating allegations that millions of pounds had disappeared from Archer's Kurdish charity. In 1991, Archer had claimed to have raised £57,042,000. In 1992, the Kurdish Disaster Fund had written to Archer, complaining: "You must be concerned that the Kurdish refugees have seen hardly any of the huge sums raised in the west in their name." Kurdish groups claimed little more than £250,000 had been received by groups in Iraq. Archer then had gone to Iraq on a fact-finding mission, where his chant of "Long Live Kurdistan" was mis-translated as "Bastard, Devilish Kurdistan."

A British Red Cross-commissioned KPMG audit of the cash showed no donations were handled by Archer and any misappropriation was "unlikely". But KPMG could find no evidence to support Archer's claims to have raised £31.5 million from overseas governments. The police said they would launch a "preliminary assessment of the facts" from the audit but were not investigating the Simple Truth fund.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Crosspost from PYF:

Somehow I feel he'd fit right in.

Fluoride Jones
Aug 24, 2009

toot toot

HorseRenoir posted:

Crosspost from PYF:

Somehow I feel he'd fit right in.

Republican fandom secrets. Seriously though, gently caress this country and its two party system.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

rockopete posted:

BNP demographics (I'm assuming there's a lot of overlap between them and the EDL)

But police officers and prison service are banned from joining the BNP so??

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Fluo posted:

I don't see Lord Archer in there.
Or Lord Ice.

Orkiec
Dec 28, 2008

My gut, huh?

Would it've been that difficult for him to draw "the earth" instead of labeling it?

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

But police officers and prison service are banned from joining the BNP so??

Ah, this American was unaware of that. I got it from an earlier LF/D&D pictures thread and it was labelled bnpdemographics.jpg on my HD so I don't know what. Did they enact that law recently?
Sorry about that!

shortprsn
Apr 21, 2008

Photo of the alleged suicide bomber in Bulgaria who was carrying a fake Michigan driver's license.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

shortprsn posted:

Photo of the alleged suicide bomber in Bulgaria who was carrying a fake Michigan driver's license.

He's been identified as a Swedish National and former Guantanamo detainee.

http://www.novinite.com/view_news.php?id=141486

The Michigan ID is an interesting twist. Michigan has a large Middle Eastern population.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
The Swedish government denied it was him.

Omar Suleiman

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

http://univisionnews.tumblr.com/post/27430179829/congressional-candidate-compares-poor-people-to-animals

quote:

Mercer, who’s running in a primary to face long-time incumbent Rep. Raúl Grijalva (D-Ariz.), shot down detractors on Facebook. ”By reposting that quote,” she wrote, “all I wanted to do was to make a statement that aligns with my beliefs.

“It is ironic that the left go on a ‘feeding frenzy’ when they see a comment that they can spin and put their own analogy into it,” she continued. “The comment does not compare people on food stamps to wild animals. As I read it, it addresses an issue in which we need to focus on instead of useless rhetoric.”

zero alpha
Feb 18, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
That's not why you don't feed wild animals. You shouldn't feed them, not because they won't be able to "fend for themselves" (they still can, and easily), but because human food is bad for their health and increases the likelihood they will attack people.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

zero alpha posted:

That's not why you don't feed wild animals. You shouldn't feed them, not because they won't be able to "fend for themselves" (they still can, and easily), but because human food is bad for their health and increases the likelihood they will attack people.

Yeah, the really amusing (sad) thing is that you don't feed the bears for the same reason that you do feed the poor:

So they won't dig in trash for food or accost people.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

quote:

Nasa Indians drag off a soldier in Toribio, southern Colombia on July 17. Dozens of Indians attacked half a dozen soldiers guarding communication towers on the outskirts of the town.

shortprsn
Apr 21, 2008

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
http://blog.occupiedlondon.org/2012/07/18/video-on-the-struggle-of-the-workers-at-viometal-mining-industry/

Video on the VIOMETAL workers in Northern Greece and their struggle to achieve workplace democracy and become a cooperative.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Romney's "I built my business, Mr. President" quote is now on a t shirt!

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Govern...g+Government%29

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

quote:

“The idea that Steve Jobs didn’t build Apple,
that Henry Ford didn’t build Ford Motor,
that Ray Kroc didn’t build McDonald’s,
is not just foolishness,
it is insulting to every entrepreneur
every innovator in America.
And it’s wrong.”

Yeah, but did Jobs make the computer? Did Henry design the combustion engine? Ray Kroc come up with lovely fast food?

Well, the first one is easily answerable by Charles Babbage and Alan Turing plus a couple hundred over people coming before Jobs hosed about with glorified calculators covered in over-priced white plastic.

At least Gates is giving millions to charity, the gently caress did Jobs do other than kill himself by believing in new age medicine before actual proven medicine?

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

LashLightning posted:

Yeah, but did Jobs make the computer? Did Henry design the combustion engine? Ray Kroc come up with lovely fast food?

Well, the first one is easily answerable by Charles Babbage and Alan Turing plus a couple hundred over people coming before Jobs hosed about with glorified calculators covered in over-priced white plastic.

At least Gates is giving millions to charity, the gently caress did Jobs do other than kill himself by believing in new age medicine before actual proven medicine?

Also Ray Kroc didn't even invent McDonalds, he bought it from the McDonald Brothers who came up with the burger manufacturing. He literally just bought a concept and made billions, Henry Ford published anti-jewish propaganda that he didn't write on his own and Steve Jobs was a bastard.

But gently caress Obama and the dems too.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
The payoff of that Arctic Ready campaign has arrived...

That is near Shell HQ in Houston.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Not much of a payoff. The people who work in downtown Houston are almost universally douchebags. They won't care.

e: oops fixed non-movey version.

ReidRansom fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jul 20, 2012

• Locked thread