Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
J.R. - FP: 2

JR raised his arm, blocking the knife strike with a duster-covered forearm. The blow leaves his arm stinging, but better than then a stab wound. With Claus's arms up high, his lower body is undefended, and JR fires a shot into his leg.

Athletics /--/ +5 = 3, for a 5 stress hit. Using the Armor: 1 from my duster to reduce it to a 4 stress hit. Guns ++/+ +5 = 8, with a Weapon:3 that ignores armor.
pre:
Defenses: Athletics (Dodge) +5, Armor:1 (used)
Applicable Aspects: The Last Gunfighter Ballad, The Devil's Right Hand, The Man Comes Around 
Applicable Stunts: Shoot 'Em Where It Hurts: Ignore armor 2 or less
Physical:	() () (X) (x)
Mental:		(x) () () ()
Social:		() () () ()
Any Mild (-2) Consequence: (), Any Moderate (-4) Consequence: ()
Any Major (-6) Consequence: (), Any Extreme (-8) Consequence: ()

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

"These are White Court matters, they're none of your affair!" Claus grunts, managing to twist enough that the shot goes through cleanly. "You idiots... You're going to ruin everything!"

Claus defends: --++ +5 = 5. Takes 6, uses a FP on "Scion of House Skavis" to take 4th box.
pre:
Name: Claus (speedo)
Defenses: Athletics 4+1, Disc 3
Aspects: Scion of House Skavis, FP: 2-1 = 1
Mental: ()()
Physical:()()()(X)
Mild (-2): 
Moderate (-4): 
Major (-6):

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Hugues Turner Fate Points: 1

When Niall mentioned he had taken care of Octavian, Hugues had figured Octavian was dead, not...that.

"We're here for the prisoners, this makes it our affair." He hollered as he bounded down the stairs, and fired his gauntlet at the horribly tanned vampire. Hopefully a reminder of what happened last time would get these two to give up quickly.

(Fire Gauntlet at Orange. Discipline -/++ +4 = 5!)

pre:
Defenses: Athletics +4, Discipline +4, Rapport +1.
Applicable Aspects: Clone of a WWII Warden, Protector of the Small, You Only Live Twice
Physical:	( ) ( ) ( )
Mental:		(X) ( ) ( ) 
Social:		( ) ( ) 
Any Mild (-2) Consequence:	()
Any Moderate (-4) Consequence: 	()
Any Major (-6) Consequence:	()
Any Extreme (-8) Consequence:	()
Used: Portable Veil, Fire Gauntlet

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Octavian's one good eye never leaves Hugues from the minute he sees the boy and he is ready for the fire gauntlet. He throws himself to one side, that sick half-crazed laugh the only sound coming out of him.

Octo defends, Athletics //++ +5 = 7, swing and a miss!

Warden Cole FP:2

Cole was low on magic and low on patience. What he dearly wanted to do was pin that loving vampire to the wall and turn his blood to ice, then watch the aftermath. But somewhere in the back of his head a little voice told him that he might not be able to look himself in the mirror if he did that. It sounded a little bit like Ada.

Fine. We play this out the right way. Cole crossed swords with Claus, twisting his wrist in a classic disarm. It was messy and predictable, and mostly to buy time, but Claus, to his own great suprise, lost his grip on his katana and it fell out of his hands and clattered to the ground.

Cole attempts a disarm manuever, "Dropped His Sword?!" Weapons: /-/- +3 = 1.
But Claus manages to top Cole's terrible -2 with a Weapons: /--- +4 = 1, so the manuever sticks, fragile.
Jenny is up!

mistaya fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jul 15, 2012

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN
Jenny Hirsch FP: 3

Jenny watches as the sword skitters to the ground, rotating end to end until coming to a stop between her and the vampire. She grins, eyes fierce and sharp against the basement's light. "gently caress your White Court, and gently caress you too." As Claus leans forward to make a grab for the katana, she sends a brutal surge of power rippling through her arm towards the blade. "Bavegn!" The blast of power lifts the sword clean off the floor, hurtling towards the vampire's stomach. He tries to twist out of the way, but the sword is moving far too quickly. The blade slides in with a smooth motion, coming to a stop with a wet slapping sound as the hilt bounces off his abdominal muscles. Jenny's voice is clear and strong as she continues speaking, watching Claus try to grab the hilt with blood-slick hands. "In a few hours, there won't even be a White Court in this city. You're finished - you just don't know it yet."

Summoning 7 shifts of power, Discipline -++- +7 = 7. Tagging "Dropped His Sword!?" for another 2, for a total of 9 with W:7.

pre:
Defenses: Athletics +2, Shield Ring (+4)
Applicable Aspects: Apprentice to..., Ingenue's Intercession, "Inhuman Means Subhuman"
Physical:	( ) ( ) (X) 
Mental:		(X) ( ) (X) (X)
Social:		( ) ( ) ( )
Any Mild (-2) Consequence:	( )
Any Moderate (-4) Consequence: 	( ) 
Any Major (-6) Consequence:	( )
Any Extreme (-8) Consequence:	( )
Used: Shield Bracelet

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Claus defends! Athletics -/+- +5 = 4. Takes 12. (Dayum!)

Claus grabs the hilt of the katana with both hands and just... stares at it. "H-How?" He coughs, and thick trails of too-pale blood run down his chin from both corners of his mouth.

pre:
Name: Claus 
Aspects: Scion of House Skavis, FP: 1
Physical:()(X)()(X)
Mild (-2): 
Moderate (-4): Right In the Guts
Major (-6): Assisted Seppuku

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan
Ada duSang - FP: 2

By the time Ada got into the warehouse, it was already empty.

Well...not empty. The vampires' thugs littered the floor, down and out, but there was no sign of Hugues, JR, Cole and Jenny. What there was was a trapdoor on the ground, and more sounds of struggle were coming from it. Walking down the stairs, she soon came across a scene of battle, as her friends engaged the two vampires on the ship. They looked much worse for wear, and a part of her wanted to make them look even worse. That part's influence increased as she saw the boys and girls left in a cage, like animals, and then the girl lying on the floor, wounded, bleeding. Instinctively, Ada reached for her knife, as a vicious incantation rose to her lips in an instant, but then she stopped.

"Not like this." She thought, shaking her head. "I'm not going to sink to their level. We're going to put an end to this in a way that is just."

Somehow, her eyes kept being drawn to the girl's body. She was hurt, if not already gone, and there was a lot of blood on the floor.

Blood...

Rolling a declaration to spot the bloody floor. Difficulty is 1, and a roll of -/++ makes it! There's an Aspect of 'Grounds of a Recent Sacrifice' on the scene.

Yes. That would do the trick. "Tes Yor." She murmured, raising a hand which clutched the bloody knife she used to fuel her spells. At once, the blood rose from the floor, wrapping itself in tendrils around the maimed vampire.

"Playing with blood and knives now? You're encroaching into my territory, monster. I wonder if I should do the same now. What do you think about experiencing sheer, primal fear?" Ada said, her voice cold and implacable as she step forward towards Octavian.

Rolling to place a Grabbed Aspect on Octavian, with a duration of six exchanges, and tagging Grounds of a Recent Sacrifice to fuel the spell. The roll is a wretched //--, making the final total +6, just barely enough to control it.

pre:
Defenses: Athletics +2, Discipline +4, Rapport +2.
Applicable Aspects: Sixth Generation Blood Magus, Killer Queen, Warden Pin (One Shot).
Physical:	( ) ( ) ( ) ( )
Mental:		(X) ( ) ( ) ( ) 
Social:		( ) ( ) ( ) ( )
Any Mild (-2) Consequence: Healing Burns (Physical)
Any Major (-6) Consequence: ()

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Octavian's laughter faded into snarls as the blood of his victim turned on him, and he twisted and fought with the cords. He wasn't afraid, he might not even be capable of that anymore. He was pissed.

Claus staggered back against the bars of the cage, blood soaked through his neat white shirt and pooling on the floor. "All for nothing... You..." His silver eyes focused on Jenny. Through Jenny.

And as their eyes met, something clicked.

--

Jenny finds herself looking into a study. Everything is an orderly pure white. White tile, white curtains, a white desk and a white bed. A large white reading chair sits in the very center. In the chair, relaxing and reading a book sits Claus. His dark hair contrasts wildly with the spotless, sterile room. He turns the pages, and Jenny can tell they are blank. Behind him stands a pale woman, with skin like a marble statue. Her hair is bleached white and she massages his shoulders while he reads. It’s all so neat and perfect.

There is a light switch next to Jenny. She flips it. The gleaming purple of ultraviolet light bathes the room. There are stains on every surface. Bloody handprints drag across the walls in lurid color. Pools coat the floor. The alabaster woman’s long claws dig into the meat of a thin, sickly looking man's shoulders, and the chair is dotted with flecks of his blood. Claus, without his demon, is barely recognizable. His eyes are sunken and there are lines of worry and age at the corners of his eyes and mouth. There is a growing stain on his belly, bright in the violet light. It drips off the chair and onto the floor.

The scene is horrific, and Jenny flicks the light switch back on. The white room returns, the great lie. Claus falls to his knees beside a red stain, not seeming to realize it's coming from his own stomach. He scrubs at it with a rag. The stain just spreads. “No, no it has to come out.” Claus scrubs madly. His demon, in the guise of a servant, stands over him. Fury on her perfect face.

--

Claus rocks back against the bars and shivers. "And you call me a monster..." he says. Jenny is rocked by a sudden wave of despair. It's pure and painful and true. I've failed and I'm going to die. It was all for nothing. Shameful. Disgusting. Worthless. Thrown away like so much trash. Just finish it now. With his last breath, Claus is determined to share his misery with his killer.

Meanwhile Octavian, twisting like a contortion artist, manages to wriggle free of Ada's binding spell with a satisfied "Haha!"

Claus gets screwed by Chaosbot one final time, Deceit ---+ +4 = 2. Burning his last FP on "Scion of House Skavis" to bring that to 4, weapon:2.
Octavian contests Ada's grapple: ++/- +5 = 6, tie isn't good enough. Burning his free tag from "Just Fed" to break free.

(I am aware that Jenny doesn't have Soulgaze yet. I thought this was neat narratively, and proof that Jenny is coming into her power. She should probably freak out about it.)

INIT
Claus
Octavian
JR <- We are here!
Hugues
Cole
Jenny
Ada

mistaya fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jul 16, 2012

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
J.R. - FP: 2->1

JR marches up the heavily wounded Claus, and raises his gun to the monster's forehead. "Go to Hell," he orders as he pulls the trigger, wishing he'd done the same to the succubus he'd left in the other building.

//-/ +5 = 4, plus tagging both the consequences as well as an FP on The Devil's Right Hand, makes it +10 with a weapon:3.
pre:
Defenses: Athletics (Dodge) +5, Armor:1 (used)
Applicable Aspects: The Last Gunfighter Ballad, The Devil's Right Hand, The Man Comes Around 
Applicable Stunts: Shoot 'Em Where It Hurts: Ignore armor 2 or less
Physical:	() () (X) (x)
Mental:		(x) () () ()
Social:		() () () ()
Any Mild (-2) Consequence: (), Any Moderate (-4) Consequence: ()
Any Major (-6) Consequence: (), Any Extreme (-8) Consequence: ()

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Hail Mary defense roll comes in at +++/ +5 = 8! 3rd and a mild. "My Ear!"

Maybe JR thought he couldn't move anymore, or maybe the vampire was just that fast when it came down to it. Claus twisted to the side at the last second, and JR didn't get the killing blow he'd wanted. He didn't miss completely, the bullet grazed Claus's skull and blew his ear off, but it wasn't enough to kill him.

mistaya fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jul 16, 2012

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

There was that brief pause where in the middle of fighting, Jenny and Claus seemed to just freeze in place, and then back off from each other. And judging by both of their horrified reactions, there was a Soulgaze. But...she wasn't capable of a Soulgaze on her own?
:ohdear:

"Get away from her!" Hugues hollered out as he rushed in front of Jenny, gauntlet ablazing right at Claus.

(Fire Gauntlet at Claus. Discipline /-++ +4 = 5!, tag "My Ear" for 7! with Weapons:6
Claus Defends: //-- +5 = 3... Taken out. I'll declare not dead but dying. Give the vamp a few last words.)

pre:
Defenses: Athletics +4, Discipline +4, Rapport +1.
Applicable Aspects: Clone of a WWII Warden, Protector of the Small, You Only Live Twice
Physical:	( ) ( ) ( )
Mental:		(X) (X) ( ) 
Social:		( ) ( ) 
Any Mild (-2) Consequence:	()
Any Major (-6) Consequence:	()
Used: Portable Veil, Fire Gauntlet

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Fire is a terrible force. Claus tried to scream but there was too much blood in his throat and mouth and he ended up choking on it. "Demons take all of you." he snarled. He coughed one last time, his eyes rolled back, and then he was still.

--

Cole turned away from the dying Claus and faced Octavian. The last remaining vampire was crouched on all fours like an animal, and his white eyes darted back and forth across the group. Cole pulled up his shield. "Ada, when this is over, I want to know what you and that Faerie were talking about." he said over his shoulder. "I'm glad you're OK, but I need to know why."

Popping shield bracer, as long as you're behind Cole you're covered. 5 shift shield, 1 turn.

Jenny is up!

mistaya fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jul 16, 2012

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Meanwhile on the other side of town, a phone is ringing...

"Institute for the Preservation and Display of the Supernatural and Occult. This is the curator speaking."
"Elbridge Hadley?" The woman mispronounced his last name as if she'd practiced it.
"Oh. Laura. I thought my reading had looked especially grim this morning."
"Don't be smart with me."
"Then get to the point."

"Fine. I'm sending one of mine to you, he's got a Greater Demon locked up in his basement and he doesn't know what to do with it."
"I see. Killed or Blacklisted?"
"Killed if you can manage it, but don't risk any lives over it. There are bigger problems."
"Next card is...yes, the Inverted Moon.* So what am I getting into this time?"
"What you get into is your business, Hadley. But Warden Cole has uncovered some demonspawn plot to destroy your city, and any help you could give him would be appreciated."
"Warden Cole...and you're certain he isn't merely crying wolf this time?"
"I did mention the Greater Demon in his basement?"
"Well, I'm certain I don't pry into other peoples' hobbies. Very well, I'll see if I can't handle the cleanup detail."

"Try to be nice, Hadley. He's been on his own since we've conscripted every other available wizard what with the Leyline fit to blow- Thank you for your help on that, by the way- and I'm not sure he's quite gotten over some of the... things that happened during the war."
There is a long pause as Elbridge thinks that over. "Yes...that entire affair was...unpleasant for all concerned. Give him this number then, and good luck with the Cross."
"Will do. And we've almost got the drat thing stable again. If we could just figure out what caused the tangle in the first place..." she sighs. "Just... be careful."
"Yes, and-oh...Knight of Coins and the Reaper.** Have a chat with Rawlings, will you? If I'm reading this correctly, he has some... explaining to do."
"Heh." Click.

--
(*Inverted Moon means false hope; ie his hope that today would be relatively quiet isn't going to pan out and he knows it.)
(**That particular combination means someone young, stupid and kind of selfish has or is about to gently caress something up in a very big way)

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Jenny's perception snaps back to the room and she's falling sideways, disoriented arms flailing about as she slammed into the concrete floor of the basement. What in the hell was that? Strange visions and despair flood into her mind, but Jenny shuts her eyes and concentrates on shutting them out. She opens her eyes in time to see Hughes burn the vampires face off, and the attack finally ends. Jenny clambers to her feet, a little unsteadily, before turning to face the last remaining vampire. He'd reverted to his true nature, a rabid animal bent on savaging others.

He might have been human, once. But that vision - Jenny had seen their true nature. Slaves to that demon controlling them. And there was only one cure.

Jenny extends her arm towards the last vampire, snarling at those around him from his position on the floor, and lets loose a lance of pure power. If the angle was right, it should bounce him against the wall. Or the ceiling.

Make the defense roll pretty easily, but I don't remember what the dicebot came up with. Discipline /++- +7 = 8 at W:5.

pre:
Defenses: Athletics +2, Shield Ring (+4)
Applicable Aspects: Apprentice to..., Ingenue's Intercession, "Inhuman Means Subhuman"
Physical:	( ) ( ) (X) 
Mental:		(X) (X) (X) (X)
Social:		( ) ( ) ( )
Any Mild (-2) Consequence:	( )
Any Moderate (-4) Consequence: 	( ) 
Any Major (-6) Consequence:	( )
Any Extreme (-8) Consequence:	( )
Used: Shield Bracelet

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Octavian defends, Athletics: /-+/ +5 = 5. Spending a FP on "Just Fed" to take it to 6 damage. Mild and a 4th.

The force wave knocks Octavian back against the table, and he does bounce a bit, landing on his face. When he looks up, he notices the unmoving form of his brother, and lets out a yelp.

pre:
Name: Octavian
Aspects: "Just Fed" (3rnds left) FP: 2->1
Physical:()()()(X)
Mild (-2): Pinball Abrasions
Moderate (-4): 
Major (-6):

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

*click!*

Well, isn't this just typical Bellworth. "Why, hello Captain, anything I can do for you today?" "Oh, not much, just a how-are-you, entertain some guests, maybe seal away one of the greater powers of Hell for all eternity." And a demonic plot to destroy New Orleans on top of everything else. Between the hurricanes, governmental incompetence, and supernatural malice, it seems that the universe itself harbors some cosmic grudge against the city.

Elbridge Hardley finishes his afternoon tea and reaches for the final card of his personal reading. After Laura's call, he's fully expecting the overarching influence to be The Devil; to his dismay, the next card he draws is a different Arcana whose meaning, in this context, is even worse.

Judgment.

The wizard sighs and leaves his study to replace the tea kettle on the stovetop with a coffee pot. He can already tell that it's going to be a long night indeed. When he finishes brewing the strongest, blackest cup of coffee he can manage, he returns to his desk and shuffles the deck again. It's always difficult to deviate from the structure of a standard reading, but the Captain's characteristic brevity has left him without much meaningful information. Elbridge focuses his will into every motion of the cards before setting the shuffled deck on a rickety table and making the first draw.

The Hermit. So far, so good; at the very least, he's managed to focus the reading on himself. It remains to be seen if the rest of the spell has worked, revealing immediate influences instead of the narrative structure of a conventional tarot divination. Next card - first influence.

The Hanged Man. Well, if this isn't Warden Cole then El will buy a hat for the express purpose of eating it. Time to see if the magic has done its job, then. Next card - first signifier.

Nine of Staves. Leadership, tenacity, resolve...and desperation. The situation must be grave indeed. All previous readings on Richter's behalf had given the Eight of Swords as his first signifier, and that had hardly told them anything they didn't already know. Next card - second influence.

Knight of Swords. Someone to whom conflict was no stranger, but lacking maturity and restraint. Elbridge grimaces. Next card - second signifier.

The Hierophant. So this loose cannon is also a zealot of some stripe. Bloody wonderful. This is simply getting better by the draw. Next card - third influence.

Knight of Cups. One guided by conscience and compassion, for good or ill. Gentler than the Knight of Swords, but potentially no less dangerous. Next card - third signifier.

The Fool. Yes, definitely no less dangerous. Every single time Elbridge has drawn a Knight followed by the Fool, it's meant hospital bills for someone. Next card - fourth influence.

Death. Strange indeed, for the Reaper is almost always a signifier and very rarely an influence in its own right. What could it mean? Change, metamorphosis, the cycle of life and death - it is a very unusual person who is almost entirely defined by a single event. Next card - fourth signifier.

The inverted Two of Coins. A shiver goes down the curator's spine as the meaning of the previous card becomes apparent. Change in defiance of the natural order, life beyond death or death in life...a necromancer. With so many fell influences at hand, Warden Cole may be in dire peril indeed. It seems it may be wiser to contact him immediately rather than waiting for his call. Next card - fifth influence.

Queen of Staves. A person of conviction and resolve, most likely female. Intelligent and reasonable, but still not one to be crossed. Next card - fifth signifier.

The inverted Star. Guidance in darkness; wisdom through bitter experience; someone who's been to a dark place warning others away from it. Inverted or not, the Star means someone to be trusted or heeded. Next card - sixth influence.

The inverted Chariot. Back to the dire omens, it would seem. Hubris, especially with respect to powers beyond one's control, and a tendency to flee in the aftermath, leaving others to clean up the mess. Next card - sixth signifier.

The Tower. Whatever the Charioteer's intent, his actions either have blown up in his face or will very shortly. The signifier is tragic, but hardly unexpected. Without warning, the wing of the table gives way, spilling the two Major Arcana of disaster onto the floor as if Elbridge needed to be reminded of their meaning. Next card - seventh influence.

King of Cups. Finally, a card of unambiguously good portent. A man of both wisdom and compassion, sound judgment and goodwill. As he draws the seventh signifier, Elbridge feels the spell's energy ebb and recede, indicating that the reading is almost at an end.

Four of Swords. Strife, conflict, and danger. Either the previous card's subject has had a very colorful past, or his life is about to get far more interesting than is strictly healthy. Contacting the Warden immediately seems increasingly to be the most prudent course of action. Just one more card: the overarching influence, the omen that binds the reading into a coherent whole, the theme common to the individual elements. Elbridge draws, then stares in disbelief.

This can't be right.

Nine of Cups.

Trust.

pre:
Elbridge Hardley
Template: Wizard
High Concept: The Forbidden Sage
Trouble: Curiosity Killed The Curator
Base Refresh: 8
Adjusted Refresh: 1
Current FP: 1

Background: Nobody from Nowheresville
Rising Conflict: The Night of the Fire
The Story: Journey to the West
Guest Star: I Know You Know I Know You Know
Guest Star Redux: I don't care who started it, I'm ending it
Stress:
Physical: ( )( )( )( )
Mental:   ( )( )( )( )
Social:   ( )( )

Powers:
-Lawbreaker (7th) [0]
-Evocation (Earth, Force, Water; Force Power +1)[-3]
-Thaumaturgy (Crafting Strength +1)[-3]
-The Sight [-1]
-Soulgaze [0]
-Wizard's Constitution [0]

Skills:
+5: Discipline, Lore
+4: Conviction, Investigation
+3: Endurance, Scholarship
+2: Alertness, Contacts, Deceit
+1: Athletics, Resources, Stealth

Focus Items:
-Monolithic Fragment of Unknown Black Mineral (+2 Offensive Power to Force spells) (2 slots)

Enchanted Items:
-Tacky Hawaiian Shirt (2-use 6-shift Block for 2 exchanges; works by giving Elbridge's body the consistency
 of Kevlar layered over rubber) (3 slots)
-Hip Flask (Strength 8 Healing Potion; clears a Mild Physical Consequence immediately) (1 slot)

Other possessions:
-Vast collection of oddments and curiosities, some much more *ahem* curious than others
-Library of tomes, grimoires, and books on the occult, mostly bogus, but a few genuine
-Tarot Deck (not actually a focus item in the magical sense of the word, but he tends to trust
 it over other divinatory methods)
-Bottle of absinthe (just regular absinthe, if potent; helps take the edge off of the headaches
 from casting stronger spells)
-First Aid Kit (safety first!)
-Diploma from Oxford University dated 1880, declaring him a M.A. in natural sciences and
 anthropology (UK universities didn't grant PhDs until 1917)

Rotes:
-Hey, I saw that!/ananta-drishti! (5-shift Force/Spirit, enhances awareness of surroundings
 for 1 exchange, usually used to substitute for Alertness)
-Indy's Turboprop Special/mritamyasi! (7-shift Force, hits a target with a Weapon: 7 attack by 
 shredding it with a spinning helix of invisible energy blades, requires Monolithic Fragment, 
 very much a desperation move)
-Eh, Too Much Effort/kshuudra! (5-shift Force, acts as a 5-shift block for 1 exchange by 
 sapping the momentum from attacks)
-Hope You Brought Waders/bhurati! (4-shift Water, maneuver adds Aspect: Slogging Through 
 Waist-Deep Muck to the target, opposed by Athletics)
-Like A Rock/ashma! (4-shift Earth, target gains Armor:2 for one exchange)
The people denoted by the cards are:
Knight of Swords: J.R.
Knight of Cups: Jenny
Death: Hugues
Queen of Staves: Ada
Inverted Chariot: Mitsuo - it's important that his card fell away before the final influence was revealed, indicating that the trust between him and the others has been broken.
King of Cups: Andy

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."

"Dammit!" Ada snarled, as Octavian broke free of her grasp. She wanted him to face the same fate he'd inflicted upon others, but the vampire was like a rabid dog. "And like a rabid dog, he must be put down." She thought. If restraints couldn't hold him in place, there was no sense in fooling around. Performing a small cut, Ada drew enough blood and concentrated. "You're done, Octavian. Suru Haita!" At once, a lance of blood shot toward him.

Tagging Pinball Abrasions and launching a blood lance with six shifts worth of power at Octavian. Result is /+--, or +7.

pre:
Defenses: Athletics +2, Discipline +4, Rapport +2.
Applicable Aspects: Sixth Generation Blood Magus, Killer Queen, Warden Pin (One Shot).
Physical:	( ) ( ) ( ) ( )
Mental:		(X) ( ) ( ) ( ) 
Social:		( ) ( ) ( ) ( )
Any Mild (-2) Consequence: Healing Burns (Physical)
Any Major (-6) Consequence: ()

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Ahem. (thanks BSOD eating my post.) Octavian defends at +5, FP's for +7, so takes 6 damage. 2nd and a Moderate.

The lance impales Octavian in the shoulder so hard it pushes him into a standing position from his crouch, splashing pale blood all over the wall behind him. He looks around wildly. Even an animal can tell when it's cornered. There's no way to win this. Outnumbered and outgunned on every level, Octavian uses the one trick he has left.

"Bye." he says. The first real word to come out of his mouth. He starts fading.

"No!" Cole jumps forward but Octavian simply isn't there anymore and the Warden skids to a stop on his knees in the bloody mess on the floor. Cole casts around but when a supernatural creature steps between worlds like that, there's no trail for him to follow.

The group is alone with the prisoners.

Vampires can use Swift Transition to bug out of a place that resonates strongly enough with their power. I feel a personal murder-den qualifies as such a place. Claus let Octavian out of the cuffs that prevented him doing this earlier before we arrived.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"Mother-" Ada started cursing up a storm as the vampire disappeared. Just what they needed: a half-crazed vampire on the loose, right as things were becoming more and more heated. She wanted to chase after him and find him, but now wasn't the time. Not only did they not have a clue as to his whereabouts, but those kids needed them. There would be time to settle the score once and for all later. Right now, they had more important things to take care of. Taking advantage of the still-bleeding wound on her arm, Ada conjured another lance and launched it at the prison door to bust it open, then made her way to the wounded girl lying on the floor. She was still alive, but only barely. Her injuries were rather grave.

"Someone give me a hand with her. She's bleeding out and won't live much longer if we don't help her. Everybody else, get those kids out of here, we need to get them as far away from the Court's grasp as we can."

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Elbridge Hardley - FP: 1

Ordinarily, Elbridge would wait for the Warden to call him, but under the circumstances it seems wiser to warn him as soon as possible. He reaches for the ancient rotary set on his desk and dials the number he'd used to keep in touch with Cole back in the days of the war. Hopefully, he's managed not to hex his answering machine into scrap electronics.

Thesaurasaurus fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jul 20, 2012

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

"They're slowly getting up, someone get a quick veil up for the blood, and do something about the people still upstairs. If we can get them outside fast enough, they might think it was just a bad hangover." Hugues looked around, not really finding much else he could do.

"Here, speaking of the blood, Ada, could you give me a quick hand with the blood? We'll probably want some of his to track later. I'll do what I can for this one while you get that taken care of." Battlefield first aid was something all war-time Wardens got some training on.

(Scholarship /++/ +1 = 3!! for first-aid on the recently fed on girl.)

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

The wounded girl isn't as bad off as she first appeared. The knife cuts are shallow and short, and stripe her arms and neck, but none of them are deep enough to do more than cause pain. Sadistic wounds, but not fatal ones. She's lost a lot of blood though and is in shock. And that's not even counting the psychic trauma. Her eyes are unfocused and she doesn't respond to touch or sound.

Cole and JR pick up Claus's body and move it further back in the room so Cole can put up a veil. It's a simple opaque wall, blocking anyone behind bars from seeing anything besides their own room and the stairs. He heads up into the warehouse and sets up a second veil-wall, forcing everyone to use the side door.

The wounded thugs are long gone by now, but the body of the unlucky security guard isn't. Into one of the crates he goes, a little water magic to dillute the blood on the cement floor... And that's about all there is to be done about it.

Meanwhile the people in the cell are waking up. They're exhausted and scared, and they don't know where they are or how they got there.

"C-can we go?" One girl, who's probably 18, manages to ask.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

With the girl under Hugues' care, Ada was free to take a bit of Octavian's too-pale blood, making sure they'd have a chance to use it later. That wild dog would not evade them for long. As she worked, Ada quickly went over the results of the meeting.

"Three dead vampires. One more on the loose. A fifth one still alive...at a price." She shuddered. "One more still at large. Several goons knocked out. One injured girl. A few more kids, shaken but alright..."

Turning her attention toward the girl who'd just raised her voice, Ada nodded and flashed her a small but reassuring smile. "Go right ahead. They can't hurt you anymore. You're safe now - safe and free. Get out of this place, go see your family, have a good long sleep and forget all of this happened. It's over."

As Ada stood up, the blood collected, she glanced at Hugues, JR and Jenny. "...And that leaves us, butting heads with each other. Two don't trust me, one of those two and one other thinks I'm crazy for doing what I did...we'll have to talk, and soon." She shot a look toward the stairs. "Best to get started now." A few moments later, Ada found herself at the warehouse once more. It didn't take too long to spot Cole.

"You said you wanted an explanation. What do you want to know?"

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

"I want to know why you're alive right now." Cole said. "What was the Sidhe talking about, your 'second soul?'" He sat down on a crate, exhausted. "Nothing's ever easy, is it? Up to our necks in demons, vampires pulling the strings, and now there's a faerie making it all her business. A death-faerie, no less. You seemed to know each other, care to fill me in on... any of it?"

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Jenny nods at the girl who spoke, opening the cell door and helping her to her feet. She'd just finished going over the girl the drat vampire had been cutting, but fortunately none of the wounds were deep enough to be seriously life threatening. She'd have a hell of a scar without plastic surgery, though.

This was going to be interesting. Jenny closed her eyes, taking a deep breath, then opened them and started speaking with practiced ease. Bedside manner for humans and animals aren't exactly the same, but being calm, pleasant and orderly was a skill they taught to any kind of medical professional. "Is anyone else hurt? No? Good. The police should be here shortly, to make sure you get home safely, and to transport anyone who needs it to the hospital for a checkup. Please stand up and help each other out of that cell, and start moving upstairs in an orderly fashion."

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

And there it was. Though Ada had gone looking for Cole and knew what was coming, she didn't know how to answer his question. It would have been simple enough to tell him all about it, but a part of her was violently opposed to it. Some things went too deep to talk about them freely. "I still owe him an answer though." She thought, looking at him without seeing anything. "And I can't keep him in the dark forever. He trusted my judgement before. The only way I can pay him back is with my own trust."

"Years ago...when I was a little girl..." Ada started. Why did her voice sound so quiet? "I...there was someone who mattered a lot to me. She and I were close. Very close. Her name was Alisa..."

"Now or never. Pay trust with trust."

"...She was my sister. Got hit by a car, pushed me away. Didn't survive the impact." She managed to keep her vision from going blurry and kept her cool, even though it felt harder than weaving the most complex of spells. "She's been on my mind the past few days. Seen her when I'm dreaming...saw her when I paid the price to keep that vampire alive. She helped me out with it. She's hurt, and she's cold, and she's just a little girl still, but she's been looking out for me, just like she did back then." Ada took a deep breath. If she'd just kept talking, she'd have broken down crying. She needed a moment to regain her composure.

"...I still miss her." Shaking her head, she looked at Cole. "That's all I know about it. Ruby knows more than me when it comes to that. She wants to settle the score for the woman that got killed at the club, who worked with her. She's been helping me help you all out in exchange." Straightening up, Ada took another deep breath. "Without her help, at least one of us would be dead or gone, but I don't think the others will care. I need you to stay quiet about our deal, until the time comes for me to tell them about it myself. And as for everything else..." She said, as her voice became quieter, softer. "No one should know anything. Even if you can't keep my deal with the banshee secret, take the rest to the grave. I don't want to see Alisa hurt anymore."

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

"Hey." Cole put a hand on her shoulder. "No one hears a word from me. I'm sorry, about your sister." He didn't look at her. The faerie hadn't called Alisa a ghost. She'd called her a soul. That should have been impossible, but between close sisters, blood magic, and a violent death? It wasn't unbelievable at all. He was tempted to Sight her, see if there was any trace of the girl, but that was such a violation of privacy that he disregarded it out of hand. We've all got secrets.

"If that faerie gets her claws in deep enough, you'll lose yourself." he says. "Don't take on debts if... if there's any other option." He doesn't tell her not to, or judge her for doing it. Just tries to let her know that she's not alone.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Once everyone is out of the warehouse (expertly herded by Jenny) Cole drops the veils. The police sirens have finally started up, and are getting closer. They haven't moved the girl in the basement, but she's stable enough to last until the first responders arrive.

"Jenny. Take everybody home. I'll deal with the police." Cole unclasps his cloak and unhooks his sword belt. "Hugues, can you take care of these for me for a bit? I want everyone to go home and clean up. Take a hot shower and eat something. If you can get a lead on that missing vampire whenever he pops out of the NeverNever, do it. But don't go after him alone. Our best shot at Antoine -our demon summoner- is if Octavian was stupid enough to go running back to him. We can't waste that chance."

The first black-and-white rounds the corner. "Go on." Cole says. He looks different without his cloak. Smaller somehow.

---

Scene ends. REFRESH! And a minor milestone, if anyone wants to tweak things. Cole will manage to make it home around 10pm, where he will get Elbridge's phone message. Among other things. Giving everyone a chance to make plans or do small stuff before it picks back up.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

(Hugues in normal, Ada in italics.)

Hugues shuffled in the seat awkwardly. He was more used to riding in Jenny's car, plus he was carefully holding on to Cole's cloak and sword while keeping track of his own gear, so his tiny hands were a little full. For a few minutes he sat in the car quietly, before speaking up. "So...you remember when I Sighted your hand when we were at the Black Court's copy shop with the zombie basement? I...saw a bit more than the curse. There was a little girl, a ghost, she was helping hold off your curse. She looked a lot like you so..." Hugues lowered his head in shame, "...I thought she might have been your daughter at first glance but from your reaction back then I figured that wasn't the case. If you don't mind me asking...do you know anything about this little ghost girl I saw?"

For a moment, Ada said nothing. That was...strange. Unexpected. The dreams had started later. Did that mean Hugues had found out about Alisa before she had? And if so, what else did he know? And more importantly, why did he want to learn more about her?
Eventually, she nodded. "My...soul." She said. It sounded so strange when said out loud. "Keeps me alive when things get complicated."

"Soul....huh?" Hugues said, thinking for a moment. "What I saw...well, she didn't seem to be physically attached to you, but then again The Sight is a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma dressed as a metaphor of a metaphor, so it complicates things even further. But...something like that doesn't happen normally. Did...your soul take on a guest?"

“You mean like some sort of...possession or something?" Ada asked, not looking at Hugues. "It's not like that. She's just...with me. I didn't even know she was there until recently."

"Well, she helped you so she's less of a parasite possessing you and more like the symbiosis between a clownfish and a sea anemone, helping each other out. If that can even apply to...whatever this is." Wait, recently? How recently? When did she find the time between demon hunting to do that? "How did you find out?"

"Fell asleep. Saw her. Heard some things." Ada said, thinking about all that had happened. It was all true, no doubt, but the last thing did not follow from the first two. "Wish it hadn't been the way it was. She's been taking blows meant for me, who knows for how long."

Hugues let out a small gulp. "When I saw her, she was wearing a white party dress, splashed with bright red blood all across the front. But...she smiled at me, and put a finger to her lips like she wanted me to keep a secret." He turned to face Ada, although not directly at her, and spoke a bit louder. "If you can hear me, I'm sorry but Ada needed to know. She's a grown woman, she can handle it!"

"She asked you to stay quiet?" Ada said, her voice a little weird. "That's just like her. She hasn't changed a bit..." She composed herself and continued. "I'm sure she understands, though." She briefly smiled at Hugues, but then her expression became more grim as she took in his words. "A blood splattered dress, you said? And this was back at the basement?"

And on your hands as well. Hugues decided not to mention that part, just yet at least since that implied a lot more than her blood magic. "Yeah. I haven't really seen any signs of her since then. But considering I had to use The Sight in the first place, that's probably a good thing."

"Hm...wonder what it stands for..." She had her suspicions...but that was all they were, for now. "You know." She said, after a moment. "What about you? This isn't who you SHOULD be, right? Is something similar going on with you, too?"

Crap! Don't turn it around on me
"I...uhh..." He let out a sigh of defeat. "No, and...what I've got is completely different."

"And let me guess." Ada said, her voice seeping with light malice. "It's worse. You should ask for help with it." After a moment, she added, now with actual interest: "But what is it like? I can't even begin to imagine what I'd do if I was ten years old again."

Hugues snorted trying to hold back a laugh. "Ten's easy. Try seven. Really the hardest part is being both a single parent and the child." He closed his eyes, and leaned his head back. "Tell you what. I get the feeling you're holding a lot back for the little ghost girl, and there's plenty for me to tell. But words are tricky and take a while..." He took in a deep breath and exhaled. "Soulgazes are quick, and explain a lot more. We could try that--not right now of course. We'd crash and die and then I'd have to haunt Cole."

"Sort of like talking face to face, but closer than that, isn't it? Soul to soul." Ada thought about it for a moment. This wasn't an offer to be made nor accepted lightly. She wondered what it was that tempted Hugues to offer a glimpse into himself in exchange for a chance to see what was going on. He must have had much to win from it...and she didn't have all that much to lose. "Fine. But if you see anything about that girl...I want you tell me about it. How's that sound?"

"I probably would have told you anyway, but sure, let's get that established. I'll be curious as to what you see, as well. Let's just say...since I ended up like this I'm not sure of who I am anymore. So I'll tell you if you tell me." And don't try to kill me when you find out. Hugues pointed ahead, at the intersection ahead. "Here, turn in here, we're almost at my place. Let's head inside, take care of...that, and then get to work on that tracking spell."

Ada nodded. "Alright. Deal."

(Misty's going to write the Soulgazes for us! :neckbeard: So there'll need to be a bit for that.)

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Hugues Turner Fate Points: 2 --> 3

(Compel on Hugues' Seen a Million Faces to handle this with a Soulgaze.)

"So." Ada said, as she sat down on the floor. "Just meet each other's gaze and hold it up for a few seconds? And then...just watch and learn, right?"

"It'll seem like a few seconds, but it's really quick." Hugues said, pulling up a child-sized chair so he would be eye level with her. "Definitely feels longer when you're actually prepared for it. Anyway, let me know when you're ready."

Closing her eyes, Ada prepared herself and counted down. "3...2...1..." Her eyes opened, and gazed at Hugues. "Ready."

At the Ready, Hugues took a quick breath for courage, then opened his eyes as well, looking straight into Ada's.

Ada :stare: posted:

A man dies.

He is too far away to see clearly, but he wears the cloak of a Warden. A silver sword falls from limp hands and rattles on the ground. Words of Power in a harsh tongue Ada doesn’t understand echo through the air. Monstrous creatures, the Red Court in their true form, close in around the body.

A child screams.

He screams like he’s being murdered, holds up his arms up to ward off unseen attackers. Clutches at invisible wounds. He stops, trembling. Looks at his own tiny hands in equal parts terror and triumph. Tries to sit up in the bed, but loses his balance and falls off onto the cool tile floor. Dry heaves a few times, but there’s nothing to bring up. Collapses into a fetal position.

There’s something wrong with the way he moves. Jerks and starts, not the shaking of someone long bedridden, but the exaggerated movements of an inexperienced puppeteer. Ada can almost see the strings as he learns how to control the small form. He keeps forgetting to breathe at first, and the child’s body gasps and pants.

He forces himself to his feet, then staggers with strides too long for his legs to a full length mirror and tears the sheet covering it free. He has two reflections. The dead man stands behind the boy in his reflection, perfectly mirroring his every action.

Hugues :stare: posted:

Hugues walks up a hill behind the duSang mansion, towards a tall oak tree. A wooden swing hangs from on branch. At the foot of the tree, a girl with frizzy red hair in a blood spattered white dress is sitting on the grass. She has a sketchbook and pencils, and she’s humming to herself.

Ring around the rosy, pocket full of posies…

The rhyme is familiar. She looks up and notices Hugues, waves him to sit next to her. He does, realizing that he’s not a child right now. She plops into his lap and flips the sketchbook to the first page.

Ashes, Ashes…

It’s the pasted in page of a coloring book, showing two girls holding hands. They look just alike, but one has wilder hair and a smirk. ‘Ada and Alisa’ the text at the bottom proclaims, with a date over a decade old. The colors are bright and happy, and all within the lines. She flips the page.

We all fall down.

This drawing is done all in black and red. Ada is holding Alisa’s body, sobbing. Alisa is limp and staring. Behind Ada a shadow shaped like a little girl with frizzy hair clutches at her arm helplessly. Alisa flips past this page and several others quickly. She stops again at a watercolor where a tall, red haired teen is walking away from a darkened mansion. It’s all in greys and dark blues. The shadow of the girl is still with her, tugging on her arm and digging in her heels, but Ada doesn’t notice.

Alisa flips forward again. Hugues can’t make out the skipped pages but he can tell they’re dark. No happy colors. She stops near the end of the book and shows him a page from a hand drawn comic book. A vicious-looking man orders Ada to ‘make an example’ of another teen. She refuses, and he beats her severely. Alisa’s shadow, always with her and always helpless, yells at her to get up, to fight. And this time Ada hears her. The familiar words of Ada’s blood lance spell are written in red in the caption, and the bad man is killed.

Alisa beams over this page for a moment before flipping the book closed and leaning back against Hugues’ broad chest. She looks up at him and smiles. Flickers. Suddenly he can see all the scars she’s taken over the years. The half-healed burns are only the most recent. But she doesn't seem to notice. She doesn't speak, but she doesn't have to.

You understand. We are the same.

Panting, Ada broke eye contact first. "That was so...real." She said, between gasps. "It was almost as if I was actually there. It was...it was..." she gave Hugues a strange look. "Frightening. That instant where everything changed...I don't think I want to go through something like that again." She said, shivering.

Hugues reacted calmly when it ended, and closed his eyes, even though eye contact between them was now safe. Even though every Soulgaze was special, he'd been through several already and knew what to expect. "No. You don't." He lowered his head in shame. At least she wasn't screaming. "Let's set this up simply, a question for a question. You can go first."

Ada nodded. "Alright. Question one: How did you set that up? That body you're in...how did you get your hands on it in the first place?"

"The how I'd rather not get into, because it's a secret you'd take to the grave; morbid pun intended. But, effectively, this body is mine. I'm a clone of myself. I grew this body, and with my Death Curse transferred my soul. That was three years ago. Seven was much harder." Hugues said, taking a moment to admire Ada's red hair. "So...who's Alisa?

Ada almost felt like heaving a sigh of relief. Of all the things he could have asked, that was among the most innocuous. She wondered what he had seen. "My sister. We are...were...twins. She got hit by a car when we were children. Now she's back, and keeps me company." She wondered what else to ask. Something about the way Hugues had reacted when his sould had switched bodies made her worried. "When I saw you, you were having trouble controlling yourself - I mean, your body. Is there any chance it's going to give out and become hard to handle again?" She asked, concerned.

Hugues shook his head. "Not 'now', she's been with you ever since. You must have been close. There is a magical connection between twins, but sometimes a loss of friendships can weaken that bond. And no, I don't think that's an issue. I was born again. Dealing with a different sized body, different sized lungs. A lot of reflexive actions just did not apply anymore. Like breathing. Like walking. Like...not having magic." Hugues extended his right arm forward, and snapped his fingers. "Šviesa!" There was a small spark of intangible light, no brighter than a simple butane lighter. "It's coming back, slowly. Once puberty comes back, it'll develop faster. Or at least that's what I keep telling myself." He closed his eyes again, thinking of what to ask next. Knowing Alisa was her twin sister explained a lot. "How long have you been able to use blood magic?"

"You mean to cast spells? It couldn't have been that long. I've known about it since I was a child, my father taught me. But as for being able to use it for something worth a drat...couldn't be more than a couple years. There's a big gap between knowing and doing." Ada shook her head. "What importance does it have? Do you think it's got something to do with why she's stuck by me?"

"Oh trust me, I know that gap all too well." Hugues sighed. "The reason I ask is Alisa showed me some highlights from your life story," he said, as only a Warden can. "When did you become a Lawbreaker?"

"Few years ago." Ada said, tensing up. He wasn't going to try to bring down the weight of wizarding law on her, was he? "Fell in with a bad crowd. The guy in charge wanted me to hurt some poor kid, and I refused. He got angry and attacked me. Killed him to save my own skin."

"A lot of First Lawbreakers do so getting carried away in self-defense, or in the defense of others. This is why the Doom of Damocles exists. To give them a second chance." Hugues said solemly, slowly nodding. "However, what I saw was a bit different. It seemed like Alisa was motivating you to fight back. She might be able to influence your decisions in incredibly subtle ways. But...children are all in or all out, there is no grey areas for them. Killing a bad man might be good in their eyes, but that acted upon desire to kill will still taint your soul. And hers as well." He reached out and touched her right hand, and looked her in the eyes again. "But now that you are an adult, are you going to do it again?" His gazed slid away from her eyes, and to the his and Cole's swords by the kitchen sink; placed there to remind him to get the vampire blood off before the tracking.

"..." Ada was silent for a moment. "It's the last possible option." She said, carefully. "Killing the bad guy doesn't solve anything. It just means you were willing to stoop down to his level and were stronger than he was. Or at least, that you managed to sucker-punch him. There's got to be a better way than resorting to violence. What's tricky is finding it, isn't it?" She asked, not looking at Hugues in the eyes. She didn't want him to see what she was thinking...in part, because she wasn't sure what that was. Could Alisa be pulling her around? The idea seemed ridiculous, and yet...

Hugues nodded in approval at first, and then hesitated with the mention of stoopping down. Certainly now, he was no better than the Kemmlerites. Was everything he had done since then just been more violence? "The right way is almost never the easy way." He said after a pause. Then he squeezed her hand, before letting go. "Either way, now I know I don't need to worry about you. I'll be keeping an eye on you, but I see no reason to treat you any differently. You are still the same person you were before today, after all. Anyway, I think it was your turn for a question."

"I don't have anything more to ask." Was Ada's prompt response. "I know as much about the details of the procedure as you're willing to share. Everything else, I already knew before the Soulgaze."

"Alright, although I do have one last question, this time going back to Alisa. You said you learned of her recently? How'd you find out?" There was probably something he could do to separate the two for a little bit so that they could have a more direct conversation. Or a specialized mirror for the two of them. To have a soul that lively in there as well...it'd be a shame to not do anything with it.

"I saw her in a dream, first. But I only knew for sure when someone told me."
"...that person being...?"
Ada's expression became stony. "The banshee. Rubeansidhe."

Hugues put a hand to his chin, and nodded slowly. "That explains why you two have been so friendly recently. Okay." He slowly stood up. "Well, if you ever need to get in more direct---no, that's not a good term. More 'traditional' contact with Alisa, let me know. I can see if I can figure something out. Anyway, let's get to work on that tracking spell for now." He pointed to the lab. "That's my lab, but it's best if you don't go in there because my computer's in there too and you'll hex it. You got the blood?"

"Here." Ada said, raising it for Hugues to see. "Let's get to work."

(Thaumaturgy time! The plan is to use a combination of Google Earth and Maps to chart out Octavian's position on Earth using a series of digital push-pins with timestamps. Of course, there is no Google Nevernever, so it'll only work while he's on Earth, but the ritual will be carefully designed to not crash while Octavian's there and just wait until he comes back. Mistaya said the complexity (based on the Your Story example spells) was 8.
Base Complexity (Lore) 5. Ada's Discipline Maneuver for “Ultimate Magical Reagent” --++ +4 = 4 . Hugues' Lore Maneuver for “THE INTERNET” /-/- +5 = 3. Total Complexity is now 9, but we'll still us 8.
One shift at a time, Discipline rolls: (/--+ +4) = 3 (-//+ +4) = 4 (---+ +4) = 2 (//-- +4) = 2 (/--+ +4) = 3 (++/+ +4) = 7 (/+-+ +4) = 5 (+--+ +4) = 4. It's a success.)

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Cole sat down at his desk and leaned back with his eyes closed. It was almost 10 pm now and he had one hell of a headache. It had not been too hard to convince NOPD that 8 stoned college kids partied a little too hard over the weekend and ended up locked in a warehouse for a few nights until Cole, passing by, heard them yelling for help. Right up to the part where one of them was so badly cut up that she’d gone into shock. But no one would talk about what happened. Their memories were fuzzy on the whole thing, and they seemed almost desperate to latch onto the bad drug trip idea.

No one found the murder-basement in the warehouse, or the bodies of the dead security guards. Cole made sure of that. Covering up for the White Court left a bad taste in his mouth but turning the whole thing into an Evening News story would only make it worse for the survivors.

The girl was taken to the hospital and rides were secured for the others. It had taken hours, but Cole felt like he had a duty to make sure they all made it out of there safely.

--

The little light on his answering machine was blinking. Maybe Captain Bellworth had finally gotten back with him about what to do with the demons in the basement. He poured himself a hot cup of tea and sat down before pressing the button.

"Warden, I'm afraid there's no time for pleasantries. Laura Bellworth called to inform me about your demon problem, but, as usual, failed to go into any of the specifics, so I performed a reading. You're in terrible danger!"

Cole snorted. “Tell me something I don’t know.” It was a pleasant surprise to hear the old wizard’s voice on the other end of the line. Was he in town then?

"I have reason to believe that someone in your confidence may, in fact, be a necromancer!”

Tea went everywhere as Cole choked on it. “What?!”

“I hope that I'm mistaken, but - listen. The cards also implied that another of your acquaintances has done something arrogant and foolish, and that it either has ended or will end in disaster. Please, call me back as soon as you get this. My number's the same as it was back when...when we kept in touch more often.”

Elbridge’s readings were always accurate, but... Cole stiffened. A necromancer? Mitsuo was a demon-binder, and if he wasn’t the ‘arrogant and foolish’ one in the message Cole would be very surprised. Maybe it was referring to the Black Court necromancer they’d fought off recently? No, in his confidence. That was specific.

“God drat it, Elbridge.” Cole said, feeling sick. He dialed the number, surprised he still remembered it after all this time.

In other news, Thesaurasaurus rolled a 2 for his initial Morgan Meter, and is thus one of Cole's old friends from the White Council.

mistaya fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Jul 24, 2012

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Elbridge sounded tired and frazzled when he answered the phone.
"Institute for the Preservation and Display of the Supernatural and Occult. Curator speaking."
"Elbridge? It's Rick. How have you been?"
"Better. Yourself?"
"Oh you know, managed to get Death Cursed my first night."
"Good to know your luck is holding up." he said, dryly. He paused for a second. "This isn't a social call, is it."
"Not really. I didn't know you were in town. What did the Captain tell you about the demon problem?"
"Very little. Do you have the thing's name? I can't Blacklist it without it."
"I think so. The information came from another demon so hopefully it's accurate."
"Well, I suppose we'll be finding out shortly, now won't we?"
"Yeah. Do I have to bring it to you or can you come here?"
"Either works, although I'm more than a little nervous about transporting the tome itself. How strong are the mystical bindings in your cellar? Have you reinforced them at all?"
"One thing I did get out of the council was a double-ring brass and silver circle. It's secure."
"Good. I'll come to you, then. No sense in risking everything by moving the prisoner."

Cole took a few minutes to fill Elbridge in on what he knew about the demon attacks, and the Wrath ritual in general.
"...so that's where I'm at now."

"Yes, Laura was right to bring me in on this. I'll be there on the earliest bus tomorrow morning. The materials I have on hand should be sufficient to perform the sealing; I'll just have to hope nobody decides to search my luggage."
"I'd rather get it over with tonight. I'll send somebody to pick you up, if you're up for it."
"Very well. I'll begin packing immediately." He paused. "...that other matter...you haven't mentioned it yet. You don't want to know, do you."
"...maybe the reading was wrong."
"...we can only hope."

It wasn't, and they both knew it.
"Goodbye, Rick. I'll be seeing you shortly."
"You'll know the van when you see it. Goodbye Elbridge."

The phone clicked. Cole took a deep breath and called Jenny.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Jenny pulls her car onto the road's shoulder, coming to a stop and checking the directions Cole had dictated to her. She'd followed the instructions, but he hadn't said anything about where this guy lived. Jenny had thought that she'd be ready for anything, but a ramshackle shack on the edge of the bayou just wasn't what she'd been expecting for some kind of demon specialist. Jenny takes a moment to wrestle the car into park, the shifter sticking for a moment until she gave it a shove and it slid into place, before hopping out onto the road. Nothing for it except the direct approach.

Jenny moved to the door, rapping on its surface. "Hello? Elbridge? It's Jenny Hirsch. Cole sent me to pick you up?"

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

For a few moments, there's no reply to Jenny's knock as Elbridge casts his senses out of his body to the exterior of the shack. Not visibly dead, nor an ivory-skinned succubus, and the van certainly fits with Cole's...well, warning may be the appropriate term. No guarantee she isn't possessed, though, but he'll have that in a moment.

A voice calls from within. "Yes, come in, the door's unlocked!"

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Elbridge in plaintext, Jenny in italics

Jenny pushes the door open, stepping inside. The interior was dark and more than a little messy, and she wasn't exactly thrilled at the prospect of exploring around, and she didn't see Elbridge anywhere. "Elbridge? We should get going - I've got another meeting coming up, and I don't want to be late."

The wardflame on Elbridge's desk flickers blue for the barest moment before returning to its original yellow-orange state. Strange. He takes one of his briefcases in one hand and an oblong prism of a glassy black substance in the other before craning his head out of his study. "Yes, I'm over here. Just a moment - I've got two cases, and I'll need a moment to adjust the ward to let something through." Stepping out, he gestures to her. "Could you come give me a hand with these? They're rather heavy."

Jenny nods, moving away from the relatively clean patch of wall she'd been carefully leaning against and walking towards Elbridge. "Sure, I'd be glad to - woah!" Jenny stumbles, tripping a little and flailing her arms for stability before latching onto a shelf with scattered chotchkies on it. "Sorry, guess I'm more tired than I thought. It's been a long day already."

The curator breathes a sigh of relief. He's seen this before - Jenny must be the one who was recently exorcised, and the lingering fragments of the demon are confusing his wards. "No worries, I understand completely. Here, take this to the van; I'll need a minute for the other one," he says, handing her the baggage at his side.

Jenny smiles at him, taking the suitcase. "No problem. I'll be right outside."

Elbridge returns her smile as she takes his gear out the door, then drags the remaining case to the door of his study and recites from memory. "Sulaiman ibn Daoud, thine disciple must wander as thou wandered." There is a brief tingling sensation, and he hurriedly carries the case out into his kitchen. Halfway to the exit, he continues. "But as thou returned to Jerusalem after thine travails, so shalt I return here ere my work is done." The second ward parts long enough for him to carry his luggage to the door.

Jenny watches Elbridge walk up as she stands by the van's open rear door, carrying another briefcase. But this one wasn't the same, really. There was something just wrong about it, some strange sense of distortion. "What is that?"

"My life's work," he replies grimly. "A book that I call the Blacklist. I use a very fiddly ritual to trap a manifested demon within its ectoplasmic shell, then condense that ectoplasm into a sort of ink and write the saga of the fiend's defeat into the Blacklist, imprisoning it."

Jenny frowns. "Uh... huh. Okay."

Noticing her trepidation, Elbridge elaborates. "It's not perfect by any measure, but over the last century, hundreds, if not thousands of demons have escaped Hell by some means or another." He puts on his most serious British face. "Not a one has escaped the Blacklist."

Jenny shrugs, closing the van door on both briefcases. "Well, if it means we don't have to go kill him in the Nevernever it sounds good to me. There's already more than enough going on without having to do that again."

And with that, they're off.

Thesaurasaurus fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jul 25, 2012

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Earlier that day...

The ritual concluded, Ada went back home. She had some things to prepare, and a few calls to make.

"JR? It's Ada. Meet me at the church in an hour or so. Someone's after Andy and Lauden."

"Jenny, things aren't over yet. We did some good work yesterday, but I got the date wrong. It's going down tonight. As soon as you hear this, come to the church. It's all coming to a head soon, and if there's someone I'd want by my side to see this through, it's you. I'll be there waiting for you."

As soon as the calls were over, Ada made her way to the church. Better to be safe than sorry, even if though she had no reason to believe anything would happen until later. Knocking on the door, she waited for someone to answer.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Incoming Pixie report!

Nidawi was waiting outside the window with the crew at around 8. Apparently he'd missed a spelling test and a math quiz, but that was easy to make up. Some stuff on volcanoes in science and they were doing Civil War battles in American History. The pixie thought volcano science was a load of crap, because didn't everyone know about leylines and earth spirits?

Chepi and Hinto didn't really know what to do now, since Veronica and the other vampires were, well dead. They didn't know anything Hugues hadn't seen for himself.

Calfuray reported that Fat Ghoul hadn't come out of his van ALL DAY. And that was SUSPICIOUS.

--

"All's quiet on the Western Front." Andy said, letting Ada into the church. Lauden was making a pot of coffee in the kitchenette.

"Come to visit again, young lady?" the old priest asked. "Wonderful. I suppose that means tonight is going to be just as interesting. Keep your voice down, James has only just got to sleep. He's been in pain most of the day."

The door to Father James' bedroom was open just enough to see the man sleeping fitfully. Everything looked clear at the moment.

mistaya fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jul 26, 2012

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
J.R. - FP: 3

JR returned his phone to his duster pocket. "Someone after Andy and Lauden, huh?" he quietly mumbles to himself. Maybe it was the actual demon-summoner this time - it'd be nice to go after the leader rather than the minions, finally. Still, he had some time to kill before heading out to the church - just enough time to get a good meal. No need to fight on an empty stomach, after all.

An hour later finds JR entering the church. He joins Ada, Andy, and Lauden in the kitchen. "So, what do you know about what's going on, Ada?"

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Hugues Turner Fate Points: 3

Hugues thanked Nidawi for the results and told her to stay at the school another day. Calfuray had reason to be concerned but there was no time to deal with that for now. With no vampires for Chepi and Hinto to chase after, he told Chepi to take a rest until needed again, and sent Hinto after Ruby, with instructions to act very carefully. Something had these pixies terrified of her, and yet Ada seemed to place her trust in Ruby. Not to mention she was JR's descendant. Certainly worth keeping an eye on at the very least.

----

Hugues moved around quickly, going through his various materials, trying to come up with something useful to bring against the big upcoming fight with Antoine Skavis, not to mention Mel hadn't quite shown up other than to harass Jenny. He needed something to be effective against their combined forces.

(Gonna declare that Hugues has potions here, but I'm too lazy to figure out what they are right now.)

A quick check at the Google Maps Tracking spell and...no hits found yet. That meant that Octavian was still out there somewhere. Great. Still, Hugues needed to meet up with Cole. He loaded up his gear, including Cole's cloak and sword (recently cleaned and polished too!) and hopped on his bike over to Cole's office.

Krysmphoenix fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jul 27, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"I've got news." Ada said, lowering her voice so as not to wake the sleeping priest. "Good and bad. Good news is, we've got names now, and we're hunting the bastards down. They're going to get a taste of some of their own medicine pretty soon. The bad news is that they're getting ready to make their own move, and the bad spot they're in is only going to make them bolder. I figured it was a good idea to keep come here and keep an eye out, just in case. We're the main threat to them, but they might try to make us stand down by hitting you instead."

A small, wolfish smile formed on Ada's lips. "I doubt you're going to roll over and die if they come knocking, though. If we can, we should make it clear that they've bitten off more than they can chew. Assuming we all make it out of this one piece, we'll be in a good position to hit back."

• Locked thread