Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

Laserface posted:

I dont get festivals. its like a concert, only there is more people there that arent there to see the band you like, and everything is expensive.

i only went to soundwave this year because it was as if 15 year old me wrote the lineup and it was financially smarter to go to that than all the sideshows. that and i missed tickets to the steel panther gig at the enmore (who the gently caress thought THAT would sell out?)

I didn't think I would before my first but I actually enjoy listening to bands I've never listened to before at festivals. Plus one of my favourite things ever was seeing Rammstein open for Tool. Whenever I got to concerts I usually leave wishing it had gone for longer and festivals satisfy that for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Laserface posted:

I dont get festivals. its like a concert, only there is more people there that arent there to see the band you like, and everything is expensive.

i only went to soundwave this year because it was as if 15 year old me wrote the lineup and it was financially smarter to go to that than all the sideshows. that and i missed tickets to the steel panther gig at the enmore (who the gently caress thought THAT would sell out?)

It's a pretty cost-effective way to see a bunch of bands you like, as well as the chance to check out other new bands. That said, sometimes it doesn't always work well (see Sigur Ros at Splendour a few years ago, and I have the sinking feeling the same will happen to Explosions In The Sky this year; post-rock doesn't fit well with short festival sets).

Also because I'm in Brisbane, we don't/rarely get sideshows sooooooooooo

Count Chocula posted:

Nah, only bands I like are Shins and Jack White, and I'm nervous that they may have strayed from their roots. And they've both announced sideshows.

They're both in fine form and very similar to past times I've seen them. Had the chance to catch them both at SXSW and it's worth seeing them.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

david puddy posted:

I didn't think I would before my first but I actually enjoy listening to bands I've never listened to before at festivals. Plus one of my favourite things ever was seeing Rammstein open for Tool. Whenever I got to concerts I usually leave wishing it had gone for longer and festivals satisfy that for me

Yeah but a festival set is typically a lot shorter than a sideshow, and theres wankers there who are just getting ready to watch the next band yelling out "OMG JUST FINISH" and its outdoors and usually sunny which ruins a lot of the atmosphere.

I enjoyed soundwave (and i did too when i went to it when faith no more played) but i saw tool at the BDO and it was loving dreadful. Tool were good, but as a whole, the event sucked rear end.

for me to justify festivals theres has to be at least 5 bands I absolutely WANT to see playing.

Id probably be more at home at download or Wacken I guess.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

Laserface posted:

I usually go for free and like seeing a bunch of bands. I even travelled interstate to Golden Plains so I could see The Hold Steady 3 times in a week. Ended up being one of the best weekends of my life. And that was the week after Soundwave with Gaslight Anthem and Iron Maiden. No Sleep Til (Dropkicks, GWAR, Desendents), Harvest (The National, Bright Eyes, Walkmen), and Big Day Out (Andrew WK, Jim Jones Revue, Stooges, Grinderman) were all great last year. I also love the Bluesfest lineups, though I only go to the sideshows. I've got high hopes for Last Night On Earth, a new classic rock festival launching the end of this year.

I also spent 3 New Years Eves at Peats Ridge, a fun local hippie fest.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Laserface posted:

for me to justify festivals theres has to be at least 5 bands I absolutely WANT to see playing.
Well, yeah, me too, but if there's 5 bands that means there's a shitload of time for other bands and it's my favourite way of discovering music. Like, I went to the Tool sideshow in Brisbane after BDO11 and an NZ band called Jakob opened for them. I'd never heard of them but they're one of my favourite bands now

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
I fell in love with Steve Wynn and The Fleshtones at Dig It Up last weekend.

I'm pretending to watch a band called Dumbsaint now. They're post-rock, maybe? From Sydney? If you like Tool they might be your thing.

This is th first year in ages I didn't go to Big Day Out or Soundwave. Even Homebake was mediocre.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Count Chocula posted:

I'm pretending to watch a band called Dumbsaint now. They're post-rock, maybe? From Sydney? If you like Tool they might be your thing.

I actually got Dumbsaint's CD in the mail today after I forgot I'd ordered it, I think it's pretty good but it's not god tier.

magic pantaloons
Jan 9, 2012

Ain't you ever seen a naked chick riding a clam before?
Needs more The Grates

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k35b7M-BtYI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecuC8Iumd2A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bbxa6j-WXMs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7C52UlwiNI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARLHhdODmnY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Rwbzwp_Z3k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dZgRkNTlfU

There.

Mondrian
Jan 8, 2011
all the best Australian music at the moment is punk, especially in Adelaide and Brisbane, also Melbourne, but gently caress Sydney

now-defunct but still amazing bands (both Brisbane):
Gifthorse http://www.myspace.com/thegifthorseband
Fires of Waco http://www.reverbnation.com/firesofwaco

some sick powerviolence and hardcore bands:

Downpour http://downpour1.bandcamp.com/
Sick People http://www.facebook.com/pages/Sick-People/123013361110420?sk=app_178091127385
Nazi Dentist http://nazidentist.bandcamp.com/
Shackles (from Byron Bay) http://www.myspace.com/shackleshc

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

Laserface posted:

I went to Bluesfest in Byron this year and last year, best musical experiences I've had. 5 days, had a pre-set up tent, beautiful weather, 37 different bands over the 5 days I saw out of a possible 85. A crowd that really appreciates music, great mix of Australian and International acts, really good food for a festival (albeit, expensive still) ... mind blowingly good. The calibre of artists was incredible, I love festivals that I can walk away from with a whole new bunch of artists that I didn't know beforehand that I could now call myself a fan of. Bluesfest definitely does that to you. When done well, festivals rock!

PaoFerro
Jun 24, 2010
To be fair, Bluesfest is widely regarded as the most pleasant of the major festivals in Australia. Bluesfest almost doesn't count, it's so much better than all the other festivals.

I don't really like Australian festivals either. Don't get me wrong, I did my share of Splendours, Woodfords and Big Day Outs, but now the festival scene is extremely expensive and filled with people who couldn't give two fucks about the music. Combined with the fact that Australia has too many festivals now, line ups are much poorer compared to 5-10 years ago. Look at the Big Day Out this year. Absolutely garbage.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
I was actually quite surprised at the BDO in 2011 though, it was my first one in a few years and god it was a stinking hot day. The water/mist spray areas were great. The food was the worst bit, it was poo poo and way over priced. The sound was good, I didn't feel *too* packed in ... didn't see many people being dicks. But that may have just been a rare experience. BDO line up this year was absolute balls. I thought Splendour's line up last year was good though.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

PaoFerro posted:

To be fair, Bluesfest is widely regarded as the most pleasant of the major festivals in Australia. Bluesfest almost doesn't count, it's so much better than all the other festivals.

I don't really like Australian festivals either. Don't get me wrong, I did my share of Splendours, Woodfords and Big Day Outs, but now the festival scene is extremely expensive and filled with people who couldn't give two fucks about the music. Combined with the fact that Australia has too many festivals now, line ups are much poorer compared to 5-10 years ago. Look at the Big Day Out this year. Absolutely garbage.

This is the big problem with festivals in Australia at the moment, people don't go to the see bands, they just go because it's the thing to do. Which I don't get, if you just wanna go get pissed, why would you do it at a music festival when you've gotta line up for an hour to pay $10 for a mid-strength beer?

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

2ndclasscitizen posted:

This is the big problem with festivals in Australia at the moment, people don't go to the see bands, they just go because it's the thing to do. Which I don't get, if you just wanna go get pissed, why would you do it at a music festival when you've gotta line up for an hour to pay $10 for a mid-strength beer?

How to tell a Queenslander; we complain about mid-strength beer. It's a stupid law and the people who did it should feel stupid.

I'm in the same state of mind though; I remember reading the first reports from Harvest in Melbourne with people bitching about missing bands because they were waiting in line for drinks. How about you skip the alcohol you stupid pricks?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

2ndclasscitizen posted:

music festivals are the only way shire people get out to other parts of sydney. I say that as someone who grew up there.

I dont take issue with BDO and all the other fests - i just dont go. at least it means all the good rock/metal acts I want to see get crammed into soundwave, which i am happy to go to if the lineup contains enough of stuff I want to see.

I dislike festivals as a rule though, primarily because of the previous comment. if it was people there that genuinely wanted to see those bands it would be a much better overall experience.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I really liked Park Life last year, I was so late getting in I walked straight into Nero/Flux Pavilion/Joker/Feed Me and right out afterrwards.

BastardAus
Jun 3, 2003
Chunder from Down Under
Festivals are one of the ways I get to see awesome bands' sideshows who wouldn't tour otherwise.
Go you Shire fuckheads, pay over and above!

Shunkymonky
Sep 10, 2006
'sup
First single from Joe Mckee of Snowman's solo album is released: http://vimeo.com/37633425

From what I remember of the concert I saw this is pretty much the sound of the entire album... So let's ignore that and get excited for new Graveyard Train dropping in less than 10 days! And if that ends up sucking there's always Jonathan Boulet round the corner in June!

Also, I've been listening to Ellen Kibble's new album a hell of alot after reading the review on mess and noise. It's pretty subtle and took a while for all the tracks to really settle into their own individual characters, but once they did I've really been loving it. A really good personal album with enough little touches of Australiana to make you feel patriotic about giving your money.

http://ellenkibble.bandcamp.com/album/turncoat

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

I used to hang out with them; saw one of their first Sydney shows at Spectrum and drank backstage with them a few time. And yes, I was one of those creeps with a crush on Patience. The Panda Band even wrote a few songs about them. Pae's playing that horrid Bob Dylan tribute show with Kevin Mitchell and a few other mediocrities; it'll be horrible.

Ed Kuepper (The Saints)' Black Ticket Day just came on. Such a fantastic album.

Royal Headache just got a write up in Pitchfork. I'm proud of them.

Count Chocula fucked around with this message at 00:06 on May 4, 2012

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

2ndclasscitizen posted:

I think that's why Harvest was so good. It wasn't marketed at the 'let's get munted' crowd, it was for people who actually wanted to see a bunch of good bands and not worry about some yob smacking them in the head. I've never seen such a chill festival.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Creature posted:

I think that's why Harvest was so good. It wasn't marketed at the 'let's get munted' crowd, it was for people who actually wanted to see a bunch of good bands and not worry about some yob smacking them in the head. I've never seen such a chill festival.

Which is ironic, since it's run by the Soundwave crew and AJ Maddah was talking smack about Portishead for wanting a later slot and Foxy Shazam for pulling out. But yeah the actual festival was the chilliest thing imaginable. I did some open mic poetry so now I can say I opened for The National and Bright Eyes.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

Creature posted:

Speaking of, they've secured Sigur Ros as headliners this year. Full lineup comes out sometime in the next few weeks. Should be another cracker.

wackychocolate
Feb 27, 2012
Can't believe there's been 5 pages and no mention of Skyhooks (Then again probably because nobody has posted stuff about the You Already Know Them category). A classic 70s band featuring the ever lovely Red Symmons from Hey Hey It's Saturday.

You may have heard of some of their great tracks:

Following on about golden oldies, one intrepid Youtube user has created multiple channels for music videos of Aussie (and NZ) singles ranging from 1964 to 1989.

To check out any year follow this pattern:

http://youtube.com/user/nzoz{YYYY}, eg. nzoz1975, nzoz1983

wackychocolate fucked around with this message at 05:10 on May 5, 2012

magic pantaloons
Jan 9, 2012

Ain't you ever seen a naked chick riding a clam before?

Count Chocula posted:

I used to hang out with them; saw one of their first Sydney shows at Spectrum and drank backstage with them a few time. And yes, I was one of those creeps with a crush on Patience. The Panda Band even wrote a few songs about them. Pae's playing that horrid Bob Dylan tribute show with Kevin Mitchell and a few other mediocrities; it'll be horrible.

The Grates are on my 'Bands I need to see live before I die' list but the last time they toured, I couldn't afford/never got around to buying a ticket.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

Mondrian posted:

Shackles (from Byron Bay) http://www.myspace.com/shackleshc
This confused me, I had to check that they weren't this Shackles after a very unlikely genre and location change.

I've really been enjoying Kyu's self titled debut lately, they have such an interesting sound.

Edit: I'd like to link to some of their music, but they're definitely an album band where you have to hear an entire release to really absorb them.

If you ever get a chance to see them live or better yet you notice they're supporting someone you're seeing make the effort to see them, even if they aren't you're bag they're a really interesting band to watch live.

Sue Denim fucked around with this message at 14:18 on May 5, 2012

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

magic pantaloons posted:

The Grates are on my 'Bands I need to see live before I die' list but the last time they toured, I couldn't afford/never got around to buying a ticket.

The Yeah Yeah Yeahs aren't even that good, let alone the lovely bogan version.

ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010
I've been enjoying Pond's new album quite a bit, not as good as I thought it would be but it is good for the earhole. For Australian music i'm mostly hanging out for Cloud Control's in the works album, hoping it would be as good as Bliss release

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

I wish I was bumping this thread to tell everyone about Royal Headache's awesome review in Pitchfork or about how good The Smith Street Band were supporting Frank Turner, but I'm actually using it to solicit donations for Blackie from The Hard-Ons. He was bashed by some teenagers last week. There's a news story here that doesn't mention Blackie's musical work: http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/girl-14-and-boy-16-attack-taxi-driver-police-20120518-1yufo.html#ixzz1vNy9mLDs and a benefit concert on Wednesday night at the Sandringham in Newtown, Sydney.

You can also donate directly at paypal to ahn666ATyahoo.com (the account of his bandmate, Ray Ahn). I don't know The Hard-Ons beyond seeing them a few times, but I feel like I should get the word out. They're great guys, a great band, and an important part of Australia's music scene.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Count Chocula posted:

I wish I was bumping this thread to tell everyone about Royal Headache's awesome review in Pitchfork or about how good The Smith Street Band were supporting Frank Turner, but I'm actually using it to solicit donations for Blackie from The Hard-Ons. He was bashed by some teenagers last week. There's a news story here that doesn't mention Blackie's musical work: http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/girl-14-and-boy-16-attack-taxi-driver-police-20120518-1yufo.html#ixzz1vNy9mLDs and a benefit concert on Wednesday night at the Sandringham in Newtown, Sydney.

You can also donate directly at paypal to ahn666ATyahoo.com (the account of his bandmate, Ray Ahn). I don't know The Hard-Ons beyond seeing them a few times, but I feel like I should get the word out. They're great guys, a great band, and an important part of Australia's music scene.

I read this on facebook and checked out the hard ons on youtube. I thought that the only way it was possible to make music that bad was after brain trauma.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Count Chocula posted:

Volcanic Vents
Mar 28, 2009

Ratios and Tendency posted:

You guys can keep Shihad it's fine.

I don't think anyone has mentioned Foetus yet and he(Jim Thirwell) is pretty amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1aNC7tmGfs

WAIT, JIM THIRWELL IS AUSTRALIAN?! :supaburn: mind:blown

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

Volcanic Vents posted:

WAIT, JIM THIRWELL IS AUSTRALIAN?! :supaburn: mind:blown

holy god loving gently caress I never knew this

JBRONSON
Dec 25, 2011
Has anyone mentioned Mindsnare?

these dudes are total kings!

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Guess I might as well post my own 'Live at the Annandale' video I did with The Milfs (me + members of Upside Down Miss Jane, Triangle, and a few other random Sydney bands): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iP7iBs9jtWE

LonelyAssCloud
Jul 28, 2010
Well I thought I'd chip in with what I've been into lately, which is the underground Melbourne hip hop/beats scene.

Firstly I should mention Uncomfortable Beats, which is a collective so to speak of glitch/hip hop/whatever musicians. The latest compilation is a really good representative of the whole scene.

http://uncomfortablebeats.bandcamp.com/album/uncomfortable-beats-2

There's also the L-burn Illuminati who recently made a remix album of Danny Brown's XXX stuff.

http://lburnill.bandcamp.com/album/danny-brown-the-l-burn-remixxxes

There's also The Community, another collective from Perth, which features a lot of the same artists.

http://thecommunity.com.au/

Uncomfortable Beats regularly host nights around Melbourne, and they're always wicked.

edit: I forgot to mention Thrupence. Similar sounding to Tycho and Teebs, dope chill electronic music. Played an awesome first gig the other week as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJvjVIVRRdw

LonelyAssCloud fucked around with this message at 04:20 on May 30, 2012

Shunkymonky
Sep 10, 2006
'sup
The DC3 aka that guy from Root! formerly of TISM are crowdsourcing for their new album.

http://www.pozible.com/index.php/archive/index/6171

I threw in my $70 to get all the necessary musical goodies. If this is the only way small cult bands are able to keep releasing their music then so be it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WrB4iP-7R8

Ignem
Oct 30, 2011

Kind of awestruck no one's mentioned The Cat Empire yet.
I don't even know where to begin, I guess the band tells it best themselves:

The Cat Empire posted:

Where hip-hop meets reggae, where jazz is played with dirty hands, where a Cuban line meets an Aussie rule, where nothing seems in place but sounds like many places played in one earthy chord. This is the island where THE CAT EMPIRE was born.

They're one of the most vibrant, energetic and most loved bands I'v seen. I'v had the luck to see them on multiple occasions and it's never been anything less than spectacular. By far some of the best live shows I'v seen.

As for what songs deserve to be shown in this post, to be honest, all of them do. But I can't post all of them so heres a small few.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8zXYeeHz0k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-aAaD7SyUQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEBcfChvoYM
And something that perfectly encapsulates Australian culture.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgkHd6eBfoE

Apart from The Cat Empire though, there's a whole host of other bands I'd love to mention here.
Firstly two fantastic post rock bands for Sydney and Perth. Don't really know how to explain it properly, they do a lot of good stuff and break a fair bit of new ground in what is becoming a very stagnant genre, just let it speak for itself though.

From Sydney, SleepMakesWaves.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5ihLC2veRU

And Perth, Tangled Thoughts Of Leaving
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iok2b-JuegQ

Oh, and one last band. Fantastic Rock/Reggae band from Sydney Sticky Fingers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMgvpsA2jec

Oh, and they're also playing a free gig in Sydney Newtown on sunday as part of these "Firetruck" sessions where they have bands playing on the back of a firetruck. It's at a place called King St Autos, oh, and free Rum too.
Went to one of their gigs a few weeks back, it was hectic. They're great live.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Perth has had a pretty active local metal scene for quite a while, although the last 18 months have unfortunately claimed a few of my favourites.

Here's a couple that are still going strong:

Claim the Throne - Awesome Medieval-style metal in a similar vein to Alestorm:
http://youtu.be/tXHQr-nwYz4 (bonus Llamas)

Nails of Imposition - Tech Death, awesome guys and good friends. This is a pretty old song, they've released an album since.
http://youtu.be/MtaHaGuwsto

Malignant Monster - Death Metal. Average quality sound on this one, but their stage show is pretty mental. Vocalist Cain is also the front man for The Amenta.
http://youtu.be/Y1U8AVbWfBo

Sensory Amusia - If you like deathcore and breakdowns and stuff, these guys are pretty good.
http://youtu.be/I-1-k3Ru8yc

And I guess I should throw in the self plug...

Gates of Perdition - Melodic death/thrash. Just released an EP, and will be supporting Warbringer in October! (I play bass)
http://youtu.be/c3Q8U9nzj2k

Honestly I've missed a tonne of really capable bands, and more keep popping out of the woodwork every time I go to put a gig together. It's getting to the point where you have to book a venue 4 months in advance just to put on a local show, there's so much going on. If you're ever over this way, definitely grab the free Xpress or Drum Media magazine and catch a set or two.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Ignem Aeternem posted:

Oh, and one last band. Fantastic Rock/Reggae band from Sydney Sticky Fingers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMgvpsA2jec

Oh, and they're also playing a free gig in Sydney Newtown on sunday as part of these "Firetruck" sessions where they have bands playing on the back of a firetruck. It's at a place called King St Autos, oh, and free Rum too.
Went to one of their gigs a few weeks back, it was hectic. They're great live.

One of the guys from Sticky Fingers works at the Annandale. He's a good guy. Cat Empire were fun for one or two gigs when I first moved here, but they're too cheerful for me. Watussi are good, though - same kind of thing with a Latin flavor.

I'm just excited that there's a new Smith Street Band album coming up! The new song sounds fantastic, as always: http://poisoncityrecords.bandcamp.com/

They're playing a tour with Restorations: http://poisoncityrecords.com/shows/

You really owe it to yourself to check them out. They're one of the best bands in Australia these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010

Count Chocula posted:

One of the guys from Sticky Fingers works at the Annandale. He's a good guy. Cat Empire were fun for one or two gigs when I first moved here, but they're too cheerful for me. Watussi are good, though - same kind of thing with a Latin flavor.

What is happening to the Annandale? I swear its be closing down for a year now

• Locked thread