Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Nate RFB posted:

Pretty much what happened to me. I was having so much fun with the Thieve's Guild and exploring the world in general, that by the time I actually started the main quest I was 30 hours in and encountering minotaurs outside of the main city. I got boned and had to start over but could never muster the energy to see it through to the end.

You didn't miss much by not completing the main quest, but if you didn't finish Shivering Isles, you're a monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

There is an oblivion thread. This a thread for general starting advice, not bitching about how the game is or is not broken.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I find it funny that Oblivion sold half a million more copies on 360 than Morrowind did on the original XBox and all those new players had pretty much no trouble with it even with unmoddable copies, yet there are so many RPG vets who will complain about how it's practically unbeatable without mods. Yeah, the levelling system was annoying and could've been balanced way better, but it was not game breaking.

Can we have some reading comprehension in the house, please? No-one's claiming that it's "practically unbeatable", just that if you go into it without being prepared to work around the flaws in the leveling system - and especially if you follow the game's own advice about what class you should play as - it is very likely to turn into a tedious, savescum-heavy slog as enemy HP and damage outpaces your own, getting worse the further in you get.

And this is hardly a complaint limited to "RPG vets"; you may recall the colossal amount of bitching about this very problem back then Oblivion was released, from both PC and 360 players.

Also, my definition of "no trouble" doesn't really include "rerolling five or six times after a several hours of play each time until you find a character that's actually fun to play even after gaining a few levels", which is what everyone I know who didn't mod the poo poo out of the game from the word go did.

Foul Ole Ron posted:

So... if I am reading this right, if I picked a thief class and earned several levels from thieving and then was to enter a dungeon, though I may be an excellent thief.. I would be a poo poo fighter and get my head smashed in combat?

Correct. Your level is based on your primary skills; the enemy levels are based on your level. Problem is, enemy levels all go towards Killing The poo poo Out Of You and Being Hard To Kill, whereas yours might go towards that or, then again, might go towards Being Really loving Sneaky and Unlocking Goddamn Near Anything.

Which is not a problem in all games, but Oblivion is - as MisterBibs pointed out - a combat-focused game, meaning that there is a lot of poo poo to kill and a lot of poo poo trying to kill you and the leveling system is balanced around the assumption that you, as well as the enemies, are gaining all of your levels around Killing poo poo and Not Getting Killed.

quote:

So is Oblivion like a monkeys paw?

That your hosed by the hubris in what you wish to be?

Well, you can still be a badass thief or illusionist or alchemist or trader or whatever - it's just that you're making things a lot harder for yourself if you make those your primary skills.

Herobotic
Oct 9, 2007

You know, we've had a lot of fun here today, but there's nothing funny about people who pretend to throw a ball without actually throwing a ball.
Made the mistake of asking about Dead Island right before someone asked about Oblivion. Anyone got any tips?

Sentient Toaster
May 7, 2007
Not the fork, Master!

Herobotic posted:

Made the mistake of asking about Dead Island right before someone asked about Oblivion. Anyone got any tips?
I picked it up during the sale too. Found some pointers here, here, and here. There's also the games thread.

Don't have anything to contribute myself. Any more advice would be awesome.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Skilleddk posted:

I think it's best to go in blindly to this game, but two things. Disable Vita Chambers, so you'll have some challenge. Second thing is don't bumrush Big Daddies. Set up some traps and only engage them when you're ready. There's no way you can kill one without proper preparations. Set up the traps with the crossbow, hack some turrets and pull him there, enrage some splicers upon him.

Alternately don't disable vitachambers, and set combat to easy. The combat is not the main draw of the game, and I had more fun simply playing it for the plot and atmosphere.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

WarLocke posted:

The combat is not the main draw of the game, and I had more fun simply playing it for the plot and atmosphere.

People keep saying this but I've had tons of fun with Bioshock's combat. The combination of plasmids and weapons that felt pretty satisfying for the most part was good fun. Of course, if you don't enjoy it, turning down the difficulty a notch is in order, but I think it's definitely worth to give it a try on a higher difficulty because the combat is genuinely fun, contrary to popular opinion.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Burning Mustache posted:

People keep saying this but I've had tons of fun with Bioshock's combat. The combination of plasmids and weapons that felt pretty satisfying for the most part was good fun. Of course, if you don't enjoy it, turning down the difficulty a notch is in order, but I think it's definitely worth to give it a try on a higher difficulty because the combat is genuinely fun, contrary to popular opinion.

I'm not saying it's BAD, just that (IMO of course) it's not the 'best' part of the game. The crazy lolbertarian stuff is.

If you like the combat have at it, I just had more fun by making my dude all but invincible so I could focus on the rest of the game.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

Useless Shotgun posted:

Hey I picked up Dragon Quest IX, and it is my first Dragon Quest/Warrior game. What should I know?

http://beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Dragon_Quest_9:_Sentinels_of_the_Starry_Skies

The wiki entry is good groundwork for most of what you need. It's been awhile since I played, but I seem to recall endgame/postgame gear and ultra rare stuff is attributed to the game's dungeon sharing feature.

A few things to know about the series in general:

It's grindy.

Check jars, and wardrobes for items. You will be doing a lot of checking. Bookshelves also carry recipes.

When you die you lose half of your money, so keep it in a bank whenever you can.

Status effect abilities work well, so use them.

Stick with one weapon type per class.

Metal Slimes are rare, and tougher to kill because they will flee. You get a ton of experience from them if you are successful, though. Swords, Knives, and Axes have abilities catered to dealing with Metal Slimes but aren't too necessary.

You will have to look-up class upgrade steps online for certain vocations (gently caress Armamentalist).

Steal and use the 100% tension steal. And don't be shy with alchemy (item crafting).

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The most important tip: Don't sell anything. There are alchemy recipes that require obscure or one-of-a-kind equipment, sometimes stuff found in the beginning of the game. In every case it's better to keep a piece of outdated equipment than to sell it for a meager return because it might be the missing ingredient to a super useful item.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

WarLocke posted:

If you like the combat have at it, I just had more fun by making my dude all but invincible so I could focus on the rest of the game.

That'll happen regardless of difficulty anyway :v:

But yes, the game is excellent either way, I'm just surprised so many people are complaining about the combat (some of them indeed saying it's actively bad) when I've had pretty much the opposite experience.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I finally found Romance of the 3 Kingdoms 10 for PS2. Anything I should know about it?

Mordecai
May 18, 2003

Known throughout the world! Chop people's head off to the ground! Angry eyes that frighten people! Dragon among humans, king of dragons... Manchurian Derp Deity, Ha Che'er.
I request Mirror's Edge tips.

Mr E posted:

I finally found Romance of the 3 Kingdoms 10 for PS2. Anything I should know about it?

For your first game I'd recommend just making a free officer and roam around doing tavern requests and whatever looks interesting, earning some unlocks (particularly "learn 30 skills").

Following history is kind of a pain in the rear end, because things go off the rails pretty easily. Notably, wandering bands like Liu Bei's and Sun Ce's often fail to take over their first city.

They fail because town sieges suck. There's a 30 day time limit for each phase, so you need to finish as fast as possible. Forget about the gates unless they've been severely weakened through plotting.

In the early game, if you can't take out the commander, you'll probably have to climb the walls (so don't be a Horse unit) and go right for the final gate. The second phase is much easier because there aren't any walls to worry about.

Each city has just a few facilities - I think it's three at max size. When you decide to join an army, your priority should be to become a Prefect and take over a city with a siege workshop (I forget the exact name of it). This lets you build rams, archer towers, and catapults, which make standard sieging actually possible within 30 days.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Mordecai posted:

If you're good at FPSs you can actually take down the first cop standing in your path, mow down the rest with his gun, and never really bother with the annoying momentum mechanic; you have very little health but it does regenerate. With the harder enemies in the late-game, you can take them down relatively easily by (IIRC) attacking them from the back. It may take a few tries, but I found it a lot less frustrating than trying to never make a single misstep so I could outrun gunfire. Emphasis on "standing" though: if an alarm sounds and enemies start raiding the building, you will usually have to keep ahead of them.

Also, collecting runner bags gives you absolutely nothing other than achievements, so feel free to forget about them.

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jul 19, 2012

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

I just bought Monster Hunter Tri on a whim. I know nothing about it.
I apologize if it's been posted before, but I don't see it on the Wiki.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Yoshi Jjang posted:

I just bought Monster Hunter Tri on a whim. I know nothing about it.
I apologize if it's been posted before, but I don't see it on the Wiki.

I haven't played Tri myself, but I can give you a lowdown on the whole series.

There is a Monster Hunter megathread around, though it's not terribly active these days. It's a good idea to look up some info online, since some of the stuff like monster's resistances and vulnerabilities are deliberately obscure.

MH looks a lot like a hack and slash RPG type of game, but it's closer to Demon's/Dark Souls. It has a high skill ceiling, and even the best gear never trivializes the hardest monsters. The combat is slow-paced and very methodical. You need to be acutely aware of the big monster's attacks' hit zones, and try and stay out of them. You need to recognize the wind-up animations and instantly react. Only move in to attack when you are sure you can do it without getting eaten.

Multiplayer is more fun, and the community is friendly and helpful. Just try not to repeatedly do annoying things that disrupt other hunter's attacks. These include things like weapon moves that fling people in the air, longsword combos which hit everything around you, and spamming pellet shots on everyone with a bowgun.

EDIT: oh, and a preemptive 'no, there is no camera locking to an enemy'. This is another deliberate design thing: later in the game you'll need to constantly keep an eye on multiple monsters since getting hit even once can spell doom.

There's also, I believe, a setting in Tri which controls whether your dodge roll direction is relative to the way the camera is pointing, or the way your hunter is pointing. I'm not too sure about this since I haven't played it, but I seem to remember people talking about something like that in the megathread a bunch, so you probably should check that out.

StoryTime fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jul 19, 2012

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Mordecai posted:

-If you have the PC version, use a gamepad.

-It's basically a 3d platformer in the guise of an fps. Try and plot the fastest/coolest course from point A to point B. The police are just another obstacle, and it's safest to neutralize them quickly or avoid them entirely.

-There is a cutscene where you will be expected to mash the disarm button, without any notice or instruction. If you don't do this, a bad thing happens. It should be obvious when the moment presents itself.

-It's important to keep up your momentum. Moving fast helps you complete difficult jumps and escape danger.

-Disarming, sliding kicks and 3-punch combos are all effective and quick ways of downing opponents, but they all slow you down, which usually leads to death if you don't have a plan for where to go next.

-The above advice works for most of the game, but later on there there are some insanely frustrating difficulty spikes in areas filled with opponents. I'm not sure if they were shoehorned in to make it seem like more of a generic fps, but the easiest solution in those situations is to find somebody carrying a SAW, disarm them and shoot everything dead.

NihilCredo posted:

If you're good at FPSs you can actually take down the first cop standing in your path, mow down the rest with his gun, and never really bother with the annoying momentum mechanic; you have very little health but it does regenerate. With the harder enemies in the late-game, you can take them down relatively easily by (IIRC) attacking them from the back. It may take a few tries, but I found it a lot less frustrating than trying to never make a single misstep so I could outrun gunfire. Emphasis on "standing" though: if an alarm sounds and enemies start raiding the building, you will usually have to keep ahead of them.

Also, collecting runner bags gives you absolutely nothing other than achievements, so feel free to forget about them.

Huh, I guess playing through Mirror's Edge as a straight shooter would work too but at that point, wouldn't you rather play a proper fps?

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jul 19, 2012

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I find it hard to believe that there isn't yet a mod for the game that removes or heavily gimps all the enemies.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Fruits of the sea posted:

Huh, I guess playing through Mirror's Edge as a straight shooter would work too but at that point, wouldn't you rather play a proper fps?
Yeah, I probably would have had more fun if Faith had been a sniper with a grapple launcher or something like that. I still loved exploring the environments, however, which is why I finished the game even though I didn't enjoy the "you must run run RUN NEVER STOP" gameplay (in related news, I also absolutely couldn't get into Tribes: Ascend). Since the most common opinion when talking about Mirror's Edge seems to be "cool idea, but the first-person platforming just doesn't work" I figured I should let Mordecai know that any frustrations with the platforming don't mean you have to give up.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

NihilCredo posted:

Yeah, I probably would have had more fun if Faith had been a sniper with a grapple launcher or something like that. I still loved exploring the environments, however, which is why I finished the game even though I didn't enjoy the "you must run run RUN NEVER STOP" gameplay (in related news, I also absolutely couldn't get into Tribes: Ascend). Since the most common opinion when talking about Mirror's Edge seems to be "cool idea, but the first-person platforming just doesn't work" I figured I should let Mordecai know that any frustrations with the platforming don't mean you have to give up.

Fair enough, Mirror's Edge has some spectacular architecture which is definitely worth seeing. The game itself is almost a failed experiment, but it's fun to poke around in and has some innovative ideas, sort of like Trespasser back in the day.

Anti-pacifist runs of games that aren't centered on combat can actually be pretty funny. Apparently it's possible to beat Thief 1 and 2 using only a sword for example, although that ignores the more entertaining options such as throwing hammers at people and piling unconscious bodies in fireplaces and swimming pools.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Xenoblade Chronicles
  • Auras do not stack. Each one you cast removes the previous one.
  • If an enemy is tearing your poo poo up consistently, go level up for a little while. It may not seem like there should be a huge difference between level 12 and level 13, but there is.
  • Successful chain attacks reward the party with bonus EXP.
  • Change your party configuration often! Play around with the different characters' Arts, too.
  • Fix Colony 6. Do it. You are rewarded handsomely throughout the process, and it's definitely worth it.
  • Unless you're a completionist, don't bother trying to finish every single sidequest that shows up in the log.
  • Quests in the log that have little clocks next to them will expire if you proceed past the point of no return in the game. You will know when this happens, I promise. The game makes you save before continuing, and a character tells you "ok dude this is it, are you ready to go because there's no going back to those other places we've been if you say yes," then lets you choose to go or stay.
  • Dobercorgi is a fun word to say, and a great gift for Melia.
  • The game lets you keep whatever is equipped on each character for New Game+, as well as various other items of your choosing (a certain number of weapons, armor, collectibles, etc.) Keep track of how much of each thing you have, and plan accordingly--some of the higher-level Colony 6 repairs require either waiting around for collectibles to respawn or being close to the end of the game, or both. Get them before you finish the game and hang on to them if you plan on playing through NG+.
  • If you want a new outfit for a certain character (your seventh teammate) so he or she doesn't look loving ridiculous, fixing Colony 6's Commerce is the way to get it. A pink Nopon merchant will arrive when you max it out, and she'll sell what you need. You'll know what I'm talking about about 2/3rds the way through the game, trust me.
  • Debuff your enemies! Daze them, Topple them, Poison them, F-F-F-F-Freezinate them, etc. Some really hard fights are no big deal when you figure out that you can knock the bad guy down and go to town on him.
  • Topple is great until you start running into certain foes who do Spike damage while toppled. This won't happen until the late game, but it's something to watch out for nonetheless.

GOTTA STAY FAI fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jul 19, 2012

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Any tips for the original Sam & Max: Hit the Road? Not asking for hints for puzzles, just how I should... go about it I guess.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Any tips for the original Sam & Max: Hit the Road? Not asking for hints for puzzles, just how I should... go about it I guess.

Always try to walk off the edges of a screen. Some screens are freescrolling but don't really give you any indication of this, and I'm sure I was stuck for ages somewhere because I just didn't think to do that.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

If it seems like you can't do anything, talk to Max or let him interact with objects. It's a LucasArts game but it's still an adventure game so logic flies out the window.

Also the highway mini-game is a pointless distraction. Ignore it.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Mordecai posted:

It's a first-person platformer, not an FPS. You can play the whole thing as an FPS if you want, but it's kind of poo poo in that case. You're better off just avoiding enemies, or, failing that, knocking them down/disarming them in melee and running the gently caress away.

Runner-vision is a hint, not an instruction. There are usually multiple routes, some of them significantly faster than the one RV shows you; RV generally shows you the easiest or safest route.

The game goes sharply downhill towards the end, with more indoor sections and mandatory combat and less platforming - the ship level marks the start of this, IIRC. If you find yourself really hating it the storyline isn't really interesting enough to justify slogging through the last few levels if you're hating the gunplay, especially when you can use level select and time trial to replay the good parts easily.

NihilCredo posted:

Since the most common opinion when talking about Mirror's Edge seems to be "cool idea, but the first-person platforming just doesn't work" I figured I should let Mordecai know that any frustrations with the platforming don't mean you have to give up.

I thought the most common opinion was "cool idea, but the lovely combat sections later on break up the excellent first-person platforming"? :confused:

I mean, yes, gently caress jumping puzzles in all FPSes ever, Mirror's Edge is the only game I've played that gets first-person platforming right - but it does get it right. If you're not enjoying the platforming and find yourself wanting to play it as an FPS, this is probably a sign that you don't enjoy first-person platformers and should instead be checking out Half-Life 2 or something.

Burning Mustache posted:

But yes, the game is excellent either way, I'm just surprised so many people are complaining about the combat (some of them indeed saying it's actively bad) when I've had pretty much the opposite experience.

I've noticed a lot of people saying the combat is bad, and a lot of people saying that the optimal way to play is all wrench all day every day, and wondering if there's a lot of overlap there. I thought Bioshock was a terrible disappointment overall but I had a blast with things like the freezethrower, tripwire bolts, and BEES - it's one of the few recent FPSes I can think of with a varied selection of really unusual weapons rather than generic bullet hoses.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Anyone have any tips for Dungeon Siege 3? I picked it up in the steam sale but so far I've only ever played the demo which wasn't promising but Obsidian so I figured why not. I suppose on that note are Dungeon Diege 1&2 still worth playing. Apparently I got them free.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Goofballs posted:

Anyone have any tips for Dungeon Siege 3? I picked it up in the steam sale but so far I've only ever played the demo which wasn't promising but Obsidian so I figured why not. I suppose on that note are Dungeon Diege 1&2 still worth playing. Apparently I got them free.

Yeah play DS3 on the hardest mode so there's a little bit of actual meat to the game. Don't expect much from the dialogue. There are a few item stats that I had to look to the internet to learn the functionality of(For instance, "warding" gives you a chance to stun the enemy) but I later learned that there's some kind of help menu in the game that explains them so look out for that.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Goofballs posted:

1. There's an in-game glossary that explains pretty much every game mechanic. Don't miss it.
  2. When you first level up and get talent/skill/proficiency points to spend, read through all your options. It'll help you get a handle on how your character will play later on. In particular, pay attention to ways your character can generate focus or power.
  3. Don't feel obligated to switch out your companions frequently. If one works well with your style, use them. This goes double if you like their personality, although you probably won't hate any of them.
  4. Dodge roll all the time. It uses no resources, avoids all damage and requires no stats. Unlike other top-down action games, you can't just take hits and expect to come out on top. This is especially true for hard mode.
  5. Blocking is deadly, both in the sense that a blocking specialist can rip his opponents apart (stats like Retribution (damage to attacker) and Warding (stun attackers) work while blocking) and in the sense that someone who isn't geared for it can get turned into a red smear.
  6. You probably have the DLC. You'll meet a dude with a funny-colored quest marker (you literally can't miss him, so don't worry) later on. You could do it right away, but at some point you'll get a couple major quest chains you can do in any order. I feel that doing the DLC alongside these works best, although you can start it earlier if you feel the need to take advantage of its respec fountain.
  7. When you first gain access to power orbs, you may try out the only attack you have that uses them, decide it's underwhelming and relegate orbs to healing and buffing. Don't do this. The empowered skills (which you unlock by using the regular skill repeatedly) are fun-on-a-bun. It's possible to clear out an enemy group with a single empowered skill use.
If you have the DLC, there's an enchanting subsystem. Relevant points are these:
  1. Only certain stats are part of the system. The glossary can remind you which ones.
  2. From the items menu you can destroy items for a small bit of cash and a chance at an enchanting gem, provided they have a stat that can be enchanted. You don't get as much money as a vendor would offer, but the chance at more enchanting supplies is worth it.
  3. The more valuable an item is, the more expensive it is to enchant. It still might be best to focus your efforts on a single item, allowing you to more easily replace other pieces of gear.
  4. Kneel before Doom! Doom increases critical hit damage, and it's the only enchant that increases damage. A critical-hit specialist decked out in a couple hundred extra points of doom is hilariously effective.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

When Sam says "more money than we'll ever need" he means it. You either have money or you don't, once you have some you'll never run out no matter how much poo poo you buy.

Other than that the standard LucasArts MO is: go everywhere, talk to everyone and explore all possible conversation options, take everything that isn't nailed down. If you get truly stuck run through all possible combinations of interactable objects and stuff in your inventory. Max is the solution to an amazing number of puzzles.

Stelas posted:

Always try to walk off the edges of a screen. Some screens are freescrolling but don't really give you any indication of this, and I'm sure I was stuck for ages somewhere because I just didn't think to do that.
Incidentally this is also good advice for Discworld II where some backgrounds are outright designed to make you think they're non-scrolling.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
As I am a huge Atlus dork, I picked up ChoroQ this week without knowing anything about it. The case says it's a racing RPG where you play as a car (not the driver?). Anyways, I'd appreciate some tips from the other two people on the planet that own the game because I have no idea what the gently caress is going on. I picked a bright yellow minivan and started a race (after loving around for twenty minutes trying to figure out how to start a race (hint: pull into your garage)) and ended up finishing in last place because evidently, minivans aren't that great at racing along the ocean floor. Tips would be appreciated.

Katreus
May 31, 2011

You and I both know this is silly, but this is the biggest women's sporting event in the world. Let's try to make the most of it, shall we?

Colon V posted:

I find it hard to believe that there isn't yet a mod for the game that removes or heavily gimps all the enemies.

This. I just want to do my running in peace. I don't want to have people shooting at me*, esp. since I'm pretty bad at platformers in general anyway.

*This could also have been fixed if they gave me a gun so I could shoot everyone first and then do my running in peace...

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Bought Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit (the newer criterion one) used recently...is there still an online audience for this game? Anything I should know beforehand?

Miyamoto Musashi
Jul 22, 2006

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Also, I'll point out that unlike King's Quest games and their ilk, it's impossible to screw yourself out of winning Sam and Max. You'll never permanently miss an item you need, and you won't be able to misuse items you've already obtained on the "wrong" thing. That pretty much frees you up to just explore your locations and try stuff out consequence free.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Just grabbed Witcher 1 extended edition, anything I should know before I start? Keep hearing about a learning curve in regards to combat.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Alteisen posted:

Just grabbed Witcher 1 extended edition, anything I should know before I start? Keep hearing about a learning curve in regards to combat.

Don't play on hard, use your alchemy supplies without fear, save often.

That's about it really. There's a tough fight early on that made people quit, but I think that got patched.

I also personally hated dice poker and money scrounging and found mods to remove the first and moderate the second, but I'd recommend playing it for awhile to see what you do and don't like before you tinker with anything.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

victrix posted:

Don't play on hard, use your alchemy supplies without fear, save often.
Seconded. Get the basic alchemy skills pronto, always have some good potions on, don't worry about drinking a bunch of potions for a cheap fight.

You'll be fighting humans for 70% of the game, but monsters make most of the really tough fights, so allocate talent points accordingly.

Also, IMO, talents which provide an always-on bonus are better than stuff that only activates in certain situations. I dumped a bunch of points into the "extra damage when the enemy is on fire" tree and almost never remembered to incinerate peoples.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Any tips for Gratuitous Tank Battles?

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

As I am a huge Atlus dork, I picked up ChoroQ this week without knowing anything about it. The case says it's a racing RPG where you play as a car (not the driver?). Anyways, I'd appreciate some tips from the other two people on the planet that own the game because I have no idea what the gently caress is going on. I picked a bright yellow minivan and started a race (after loving around for twenty minutes trying to figure out how to start a race (hint: pull into your garage)) and ended up finishing in last place because evidently, minivans aren't that great at racing along the ocean floor. Tips would be appreciated.

First of all, could you narrow that down just a tad? They made a heck of a lot of ChoroQ games. Give us a system or something, at least.

The main thing that I remember learning entirely by accident is that you talk to other cars by running into them. There's also a lot of stuff to do besides race, it's a totally open world and nothing bad's going to happen because you skipped ahead.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

redmercer posted:

First of all, could you narrow that down just a tad? They made a heck of a lot of ChoroQ games. Give us a system or something, at least.

The main thing that I remember learning entirely by accident is that you talk to other cars by running into them. There's also a lot of stuff to do besides race, it's a totally open world and nothing bad's going to happen because you skipped ahead.

I had no idea that there were so many games! This one is from 2004, for the PS2. Evidently, the games are based on a series of toys that are/were crazy popular in Japan? I had no idea--I just saw the Atlus logo, read "you're a car and it's an RPG," and curiosity got the better of me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

How's about some tips for Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones? I got it through the eShop ambassador program and it's just been sitting on my 3DS for a long time.