Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Zeitgueist posted:

- He apparently writes novellas on vacations and flights for shits and giggles.

There is something incredibly wrong with this man. Where is his sanity?!?! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
I was gonna get up and ask him if he was going for Asimov's publishing record, but that was too snarky.

edit: He literally says he writes other things to keep himself fresh when working on the big books. He doesn't take breaks. He just writes other things.

Ethereal Duck
Oct 29, 2010

This is why I love this man. You know that moment when you finish a good book and you're a bit sad it's ended? With Sanderson, all you have to do is check when his next book comes out and it will never take more than a few months. A year, tops. :allears:

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.
Thanks to this thread, I've now finished 2 out of the three mistborn trilogy. Its a pretty unique system of 'magic', and his twists are decent. On the 2nd book I do have to say

The unreliable narrator with the prophecy was just a BIT too deus ex machina for me

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Wait till you get to play guess the narrator in book 3, everything will make sense by the end of the book. You've actually made it through the worst of the trilogy, hold on tight and enjoy the last.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Phummus posted:

The unreliable narrator with the prophecy was just a BIT too deus ex machina for me

Not sure it really counts as an unreliable narrator, here. Keep reading.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Here is the TOR.com writeup of Brandon's SDCC appearance. They talk about the latest with the Mistborn movie.
http://www.tor.com/blogs/2012/07/other-tidbits-from-brandon-sandersons-sdcc-spotlight

quote:

Brandon conveyed that six drafts of the movie script have been done and that the latest draft, which he really likes, focuses more on the relationship between Vin and her brother Reen as a counterpart to Vin’s relationship with Kelsier. Brandon and the independent producers are still shopping the script around to movie studios, however.

On the Mistborn videogame.

quote:

He conveyed that he’s still writing the script for Mistborn: Birthright (although, considering the production timeline of video games, you’re never really done writing the script until the game is on the shelves). It will be a cross-platform action RPG in the style of Infamous and Demon Souls, although he doubts they’ll be able to have as open-ended a world as is featured in Infamous. Brandon went on to reiterate that the game is set 250 years before the first Mistborn book and stars a character who is “part of the history of the world.”

On future books.

quote:

After A Memory of Light is finished, Brandon’s next focus is finishing the next Stormlight Archive book “as soon as possible, hopefully by this time next year.” The next book is already intricately plotted out, which is about the halfway point for Brandon, and the rest of the writing “could take as little as 6 to 8 months.”

There are two books that Brandon finished before starting on the final Wheel of Time book but which won’t come out until after A Memory of Light, as Brandon wanted to properly support their release, which just isn’t possible while finishing The Wheel of Time.

The first is The Rithmatist, a middle grade coming out from Tor Books next year about Joel, a non-magic kid enrolled in a magic school (his mom’s the cleaning lady there) who starts investigating a murder that happens at the school. The magic system is “chalkboard magic,” which Brandon likened to playing Starcraft. The kids draw a chalk circle around themselves on the floor then scribble in things that try and chew through the other kids’ own chalk circles. Fans of his Alcatraz series will find the same appeal from The Rithmatist, according to the author.

Next is Steelheart, a post-apocalyptic superhero book where people in our world can only obtain super powers if they’re evil. The inspiration for the story occured to Brandon when he got cut off by another driver one day. “I thought, if I was a supervillain this guy would just be… BOOM.” Which got him thinking about a world where people could actually do that.

In the world of Steelheart, these people are considered “forces of nature” and eventually the most powerful form little fiefdoms. The protagonist is an 18 year old boy who’s father was killed by Steelheart, one of the most powerful superpowered villains, who joins an assassination guild in hopes of taking Steelheart down.

After Stormlight 2, Brandon will probably go straight into the third Stormlight book, although he might take a short break and write the follow-up to The Alloy of Law. And after that? Brandon really wants to write
a follow-up to Elantris
, as 2015 marks the ten-year anniversary of the publication of the first book.

Sweet, I'm definately looking forward to the Elantris sequel, its good to know its officially on deck. I'm also glad we are getting two Stormlight books back to back as a thank you to his fans for waiting on him to finish Wheel of Time.

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jul 17, 2012

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
That man is going to have a heart attack while writing. He needs to slow down some.

Though 6 to 8 months for Stormlight 2, hell yeah!

This Post Sucks
Dec 27, 2004

It Gave Me Splinters!
That's the first I've heard of Steelheart. I'm really, really excited about that now.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

calandryll posted:

Though 6 to 8 months for Stormlight 2, hell yeah!

Well, that's just the writing. It's still going to take some time for editing and publication. So, we're probably looking at around a year or so.

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

I like how Sanderson gets cut off by someone while driving and in his road rage writes a superhero novel.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

HeroOfTheRevolution posted:

I like how Sanderson gets cut off by someone while driving and in his road rage writes a superhero novel.

Yea, I'm pretty sure his mind is a little wonky.

I don't think most people get cut off and think:

"That was interesting, I should write a book!" :iiaca: literally!

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Its certainly the first case of rage-writing I've ever heard of.

platero
Sep 11, 2001

spooky, but polite, a-hole

Pillbug

It's hard for me to be surprised any more by his writing output. I mean, his idea of taking a break from writing a book is to write a different book. He's a machiiiiiine.

This Post Sucks
Dec 27, 2004

It Gave Me Splinters!

Subterranean Press posted:

We've just sent Brandon Sanderson's new novella, Legion, to the printer, so you can look for it to ship in 6-8 weeks.

:dance:

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

subx posted:

Yea, I'm pretty sure his mind is a little wonky.

I don't think most people get cut off and think:

"That was interesting, I should write a book!" :iiaca: literally!

I think this is called being an author. He just seems to be in better grips with the drive and activity of writing than most.

soru
Apr 27, 2003

The Red God has his due, sweet girl, and only death may pay for life.
Eagerly awaiting his next book which has a magic system based on optimizing the order of how passengers board planes.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

soru posted:

Eagerly awaiting his next book which has a magic system based on optimizing the order of how passengers board planes.

"And lo, so it came to pass on a dark and stormy night that the Souwesterians rose up against the common man of the United Delta. A cry went up, repeated endlessly, echoing through the wreckage of a once-great nation, and that cry was this:

"gently caress it. Sit where you want."

This Post Sucks
Dec 27, 2004

It Gave Me Splinters!

ConfusedUs posted:

"And lo, so it came to pass on a dark and stormy night that the Souwesterians rose up against the common man of the United Delta. A cry went up, repeated endlessly, echoing through the wreckage of a once-great nation, and that cry was this:

"gently caress it. Sit where you want."

More like:

quote:

"I was trying to get on to a plane one time and realized it was just too crowded. So, I had the thought 'What if I could just become a plane myself?'.

Airbard is set in a modern day society where certain individuals can, at will, turn in to a mechanical devices or vehicle. The story follows Charva, an upper-class music man who came in to his powers later in life and now must run to escape death at the hands of the Society For Technological Renewal and Advancement who want to dissect him in his vehicle form in order to begin a mass produced version."

This Post Sucks fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jul 19, 2012

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
Can't wait to wrap my head around the unique magical properties of each of the 64 types of vehicles.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Cartoon Man posted:

Wait till you get to play guess the narrator in book 3, everything will make sense by the end of the book. You've actually made it through the worst of the trilogy, hold on tight and enjoy the last.

That's interesting. I knew who the narrator was after reading the first sentence of the book. And I'm usually very slow on the uptake (for instance, in book 2 I didn't figure out who the impostor was until very shortly before the reveal, even though on re-read it is screamingly obvious and most of my friends who have read it report it was obvious to them the first time through). I didn't think it was much of a mystery at all who was writing the lead-ins in book 3. I remember somewhere around the middle of the book particularly reading a lead-in and thinking "yeah, he's not even really hiding who this is anymore".

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.
I finally finished book 3. It was a pretty satisfying ending. You're right, it was pretty telegraphed who the author of the lead-ins was. Is it worth reading The Alloy Of Law?

This Post Sucks
Dec 27, 2004

It Gave Me Splinters!

Phummus posted:

I finally finished book 3. It was a pretty satisfying ending. You're right, it was pretty telegraphed who the author of the lead-ins was. Is it worth reading The Alloy Of Law?

I really enjoy The Alloy of Law. It's a different time frame, but works well enough as a stand alone book and is pretty fun. It's also a lot shorter.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Phummus posted:

The Alloy of Law is a lot tighter and faster-running story than the most of Sanderson's stuff. His biggest downfall, IMO, is to have the story drag on through boring stuff way too long - about 2/3 of the Mistborn Trilogy is plowing through the slow bits to get to the good parts, and Alloy of Law mostly avoids that.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

Phummus posted:

If you liked the universe you should read it, yes. Its a good book, and a quick read at a bit more than 300 pages.

OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!

Phummus posted:

Absolutely. It's fun, it's a bit faster paced, and it shows some different applications of Allomancy. Definitely worth the read.

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

The author was telegraphed but the circumstances weren't. For a large part of the book, a lot of what he was writing seemed depressed and resigned, as if he had become the Hero of Ages too late to save the world.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
So my hardcopy of the Mistborn RPG just arrived today. Gotta say, it's pretty nice that Crafty made it novel-sized instead of the usual larger RPG book standard.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Phummus posted:

I'm going to spoiler this, but honestly if you're remotely interested, then by all means click it.

The best part of the book is that nobody can be a full blown Mistborn or Fuerochemist. Instead a small percentage of the population is born with just one of the powers from each system. Of those, a rare few are allowed two powers; one Allomancy power and one Feurochemy power. They are called Twinborns. Try to imagine all the different combinations and possibilities this presents and you can see how it would make for a good story. For example, the main character has the Allomancer ability to push metal and the Feurochemist ability to make himself lighter. He uses these powers to push himself up into the air and then glide all over the place. He can also create a small shield around himself that can deflect incoming bullets.

Honestly I want to see another sequel or two to this before we get to the next full blown Mistborn trilogy. The usual Sanderson problems with humor are back though, so that might put you off. But the characters are very interesting and you will most likely be excited to see where Brandon decides to take their story after you finish reading.

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jul 24, 2012

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
Sometimes I feel people are too harsh on Sanderson's sense of humor. Maybe way back in Elantris, I cringed a couple times at that leading female character's dumb puns (I can't remember her name), but nowadays it feels like he's dialed it in perfectly.

Way of Kings and Alloy of Law were both excellent, and I felt the humor in them was just right. It's become a part of his writing, not something to criticize him for (in my opinion, at least).

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

His humor is terrible, but I like it because I find terrible puns to be completely hilarious.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

404GoonNotFound posted:

So my hardcopy of the Mistborn RPG just arrived today. Gotta say, it's pretty nice that Crafty made it novel-sized instead of the usual larger RPG book standard.

Yeah, it's pretty sweet. Also, did you see the back end piece? Feruchemical Metal Chart!

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Kwyndig posted:

Yeah, it's pretty sweet. Also, did you see the back end piece? Feruchemical Metal Chart!

With no entry for Larasium. SANDERSOOOOOON :doom:

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

404GoonNotFound posted:

With no entry for Larasium. SANDERSOOOOOON :doom:

What? The God Metals are in a box off to one side in the lower right hand corner, same as on the Allomancy chart. States 'No known application'.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Kwyndig posted:

What? The God Metals are in a box off to one side in the lower right hand corner, same as on the Allomancy chart. States 'No known application'.

Yeah, exactly.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I can't even think of what that metal would do anyway. The other metals cover pretty much everything else, I mean, they even have a metal for charging your metals (Nicrosil).

Ethereal Duck
Oct 29, 2010

A metal which causes everything in the allomancer's range to smell vaguely of goat's cheese and freshly sheared wool. If strengthened with Duralinium, the aroma becomes slightly more distinctive, reminding one of the farm back in the Two Rivers.

Cuendillarium.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

IRQ posted:

His humor is terrible, but I like it because I find terrible puns to be completely hilarious.

I agree. I actually laughed at Shallan in WoK several times.

And Lightsong from Warbreaker, too.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

ConfusedUs posted:

Oh good, I thought I was basically alone in this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

This Post Sucks
Dec 27, 2004

It Gave Me Splinters!

ConfusedUs posted:

The worst thing about Lightsong was that I listened to it on Audiobook and man was the voice actor horrible. Lightsong sounded like Keanu Reeves from Point Break (well, every movie, but still).