Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Tasty
Jul 21, 2005

Hueheheh-and you GOT one
Well, the X and O buttons are always going to be the same in a menu for any game on a Sony platform. At some point after FF7, companies like Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, etc began enforcing a thing called Technical Requirements on developers/publishers. Because of this, in any menu in the US version of a Sony PS game now-a-days X will be confirm and O will be cancel.

However, a lot of things don't fall under the TCR, things like: camera controls, the button to enable an RPG menu, etc.

If a game breaks the technical requirements, it's only because Sony or Microsoft allowed it due to favor or that the game is going to be a blockbuster (i.e. CoD4.) Generally though, most games adhere to this and that's why you see consistent messages, the same icons for the controller in every game, animated loading screens, console terminology, and so on.

Can you change the button config in later FF titles? I don't remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Dr Tasty posted:

Generally though, most games adhere to this and that's why you see consistent messages, the same icons for the controller in every game, animated loading screens, console terminology, and so on.

So this is why I had the pleasure of always being entertained by "Please insert Memory Card (8 MB) (PS2)".

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Circle for confirm for life. No other answers. :colbert:

Dr Tasty posted:

Can you change the button config in later FF titles? I don't remember.

Hasn't been an option since 9.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

I've got an itch to play through FF6 again, what's the best platform to do it on? Has it been remastered or whatever recently?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Stoat posted:

I've got an itch to play through FF6 again, what's the best platform to do it on? Has it been remastered or whatever recently?

The "be-all-end-all" version is the GBA, where they replaced the cut content (I've been reading, apparently a good amount of it has numbers and quotes and even AI programmed, but being an SNES cart, they ran out of space), fixed a bunch of the glitches (like everything targeting your Magic Evasion% and thus rendering Evasion% pointless), keeping the inventory you have at the time you beat the final boss at your last save (including stuff like the stolen Ragnarok and extra Atma Weapon), and they added in a few extra Espers.

HOWEVER, this also means you don't get your Vanish/Doom, which is really fun and pretty much the best way to deal with poo poo like Doomgaze (his random encounters in the airship are really annoying otherwise) and the sound quality is really bad. Honestly? I like the original best, glitches and all; it's one of those rare scenarios where some of the glitches present actually enhance your experience.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey

Stoat posted:

The SNES version will always be my favorite. Nothing compares to the feel of an SNES controller in hand and a good Ted Woolsey translation. The GBA version isn't too shabby either, but the colors seem to be muted and the sound quality definitely took a hit too. It also has a few extra bosses and Espers thrown in for good measure (but stay away from the extra dungeon).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The GBA version is by far the best. The only thing the SNES version has going for it is nostalgia and slightly better sound.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

ImpAtom posted:

The GBA version is by far the best. The only thing the SNES version has going for it is nostalgia and slightly better sound.

And there are even romhacks out there to bring the SNES sound back.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
I think the SNES version looks a bit better too, if only because the SNES supports a higher resolution than the GBA. It's not a huge difference though.

I'd go with the SNES version. The new content in the GBA version is cool, but I'd rather have the Woolsey translation and the good music and the nostalgia than a few new Espers.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Dr Tasty posted:

Well, the X and O buttons are always going to be the same in a menu for any game on a Sony platform. At some point after FF7, companies like Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, etc began enforcing a thing called Technical Requirements on developers/publishers. Because of this, in any menu in the US version of a Sony PS game now-a-days X will be confirm and O will be cancel.

Yup, pretty sure O is still confirm on the Japanese releases, so it seems to be all Sony's idea. I wonder if they actually prohibit being able to reconfigure buttons for that reason...

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

The White Dragon posted:

My big controller problem has got to be FFT. FF7, yeah, O to confirm X to cancel but 1) you could change it and 2) that's basically SNES controls (A confirm B cancel). FF8 actually tripped me up quite a bit when they switched it, but I got used to X-confirm with Squaresoft's subsequent releases and off-flagship titles. Then I picked up FFT in... '01, '02 with no customization menu? God drat.
Ugh, this really screwed me up during my first playthrough of FFT. I was woefully underprepared and like a dumb-rear end I saved over my file in the middle of the Riovanes castle sequence and got completely stuck on the Velius fight. I got so frustrated that I put the game down for a few weeks and played something else.

When I picked up the game again I had gotten used to X as confirm and through a stroke of luck I was able to beat Velius. The prompt comes up to save before the rooftop battle and I accidentally cancel out of it without saving. Rafa of course proceeds to get killed immediately. I think at that point I just gave up and started a new file.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007
So can anyone explain to me what's so bad about X-2 reusing art assets from X? Was SE supposed to wait a few years so that the sequel could come out for the PS3 just so the graphics would look better? Is it cool to be a graphics whore these days?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

gigglefeimer posted:

So can anyone explain to me what's so bad about X-2 reusing art assets from X?

They could, but probably not in any way your cracked little mind would ever accept.

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?
Are these same people also mad over Majora's Mask? :colbert:

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

They could, but probably not in any way your cracked little mind would ever accept.

Don't hold out on me, man! Try to explain. I'm all ears.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Yeah, that's kind of a dumb thing to be mad over, Mega Man, Street Fighter Alpha \ the Vs. Series and Castlevania have been reusing assets for years. The last DS Castlevania reused a few sprites from Rondo of Blood, which was made in like 1993.

Silly Voodoo
Mar 31, 2011

There will be no clipping!

gigglefeimer posted:

So can anyone explain to me what's so bad about X-2 reusing art assets from X? Was SE supposed to wait a few years so that the sequel could come out for the PS3 just so the graphics would look better? Is it cool to be a graphics whore these days?

Why are you still trying to pick a fight? The thread hasn't talked about X-2 for pages.

Schwartzcough posted:

Yup, pretty sure O is still confirm on the Japanese releases, so it seems to be all Sony's idea. I wonder if they actually prohibit being able to reconfigure buttons for that reason...

Maybe it's just a Japanese industry thing. Didn't the crazy guy who was in charge of Other M say that allowing the player to change the control scheme was the same as admitting that they had failed to make a good control scheme in the first place or something like that?

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.
Man, Is FF3 supposed to be this difficult/tedious? (iOS version fyi)

Every dungeon's random encounter seems like one of my party could potentially die due to how hard everything hits. I'm not exactly underleveled either.

If they do die, do you think I could raise him? Nope. gotta use one of the seriously limited Phoenix Down's, which can't be purchased.

Out of MP? Reckon you could chuck us an elixir/ether? Nope, I'm over half way through the game and I think I've seen one or two in the wild.

I'm about ready to give up (just passed water crystal) and go give FFV/VI a try.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Cyberbob posted:

Man, Is FF3 supposed to be this difficult/tedious?

FF3DS? Yes; like I've said multiple times, they beefed up every monster in the game but kept the player's damage and defensive formulas exactly the same.

FF3NES? Yes; the NES games are always gently caress-you-in-the-rear end hard in the beginning, but this is because they hadn't developed a refined mathematical balance yet and the game is a tough customer in the beginning but gets unbelievably easy toward the end when you one-shot every boss ever because their HP is lower than your damage cap.

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Cyberbob posted:

Yes. The remake scaled up things like enemy hp without rebalancing anything too.

I have it on the DS and I regret my purchase.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
You guys are just wimps.

Don't tell me you did wimp stuff like equipping armour too. :colbert:

(But seriously, only Garuda and Cloud of Darkness were actual difficult fights. The rest were pretty standard for any jRPG.)

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

It's not necessarily hard, but it's certainly not very fun. And fun is why I play games.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

gigglefeimer posted:

I don't know, and no argument over it seems to make any sense. I imagine these people throw fits over Atlus reusing Nocturne's engine in at least four other games in the PS2 era.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Cyberbob posted:

I'm about ready to give up (just passed water crystal) and go give FFV/VI a try.

You should. Final Fantasy is like Star Wars: IV, V and VI are the best ones! Also, it has Biggs and Wedge, and sometimes an Empire, and sometimes bad guys who suspiciously look like Darth Vader. Or the Joker. FFXII doesn't even try to hide it. That game has no shame.

But yeah, I am not a big fan of the NES games. FFII and III just aren't fun. The only positive thing I can say about FFII is it usually comes packaged with FFI. The only reason I ever beat FF2 was because I was really bored on a trip, and 4-6 hadn't come out for GBA yet. So I had a choice between that, or Tactics Advance which takes 300 hours to beat and requires a tome of a guide so I don't miss poo poo I was supposed to steal.

And I only like the GBA\iOS remake of FFI that redoes the gameplay and puts in MP and stuff instead of using the archaic D&D-like magic system. GBA FFI is pretty fun, but I dunno if I can go back to it now that I've seen what FFV has to offer.

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.

Winks posted:

It's not necessarily hard, but it's certainly not very fun. And fun is why I play games.

Yep. I didn't find IV very fun either, I just wanted to see why the japs go crazy over it.

From how much you guys rave about V and VI, I'll have high expectations :D

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

gigglefeimer posted:

They didn't bother changing anything about the assets at all. They're literally just the same maps and models again, so you end up with things like pregnant Lulu and Seymour's feast being exactly the same that reeks of :effort:

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Silly Voodoo posted:

Why are you still trying to pick a fight? The thread hasn't talked about X-2 for pages.

Why do you think I'm trying to pick a fight? And why do I have to wait until "the thread," like it's some monolithic entity, decides to talk about X-2 to ask a question? People bring up new topics all the time since this is the FF megathread. Seriously, what the hell?

I would still like to hear people's viewpoints about this.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Azure_Horizon posted:

I don't know, and no argument over it seems to make any sense. I imagine these people throw fits over Atlus reusing Nocturne's engine in at least four other games in the PS2 era.

*sigh, why do I even respond* Or it could be because Square charged full price for a game where 95% of the enemies and 95% of the locations (as well as countless sound effects, music, animations, obviously the graphics engine, etc.) were completely copied & pasted from X. X-2 probably required about 1/100th of the resources to make as one of their main-lines, but cost just as much. It suggests a game that was shoveled out quickly to make a quick buck, regardless of how you feel about the storyline or characters or battle system.

This is compared to just reusing an engine, or reusing some sprites that other games are guilty of. The 2-D Castlevanias are renowned for having a shoe-string budget and cutting what corners they can to make their games, while I don't think Square and X-2 really had that problem.

I don't think anyone would really expect a complete graphics overhaul for a direct sequel, but they could've given you some more new locations that weren't completely square gray corridors that probably took a half hour to design. X told the story of a pilgrimage- you would logically follow the path from temple to temple, which explains the corridor-like structure of areas in X. In X-2, you start off with an airship and are exploring the ENTIRE WORLD for spheres; so why is it you can STILL only walk down the exact same paths in the same areas you went down in X?

The game isn't using the Tidus-beats-dog; Wakka-beats-bug rock-paper-scissors system of X, which I suspect was the reason X was lacking in enemy variety to begin with- it easily let people identify an enemy's "weakness." There was no reason more new enemy varieties couldn't be introduced in X-2.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

gigglefeimer posted:

Why do you think I'm trying to pick a fight?

Because every drat post you've made in the last few pages has been you aggressively defending an OK game by refusing to listen to anyone else's criticisms of it and now you're trying to swing the thread conversation back that way when no one else wants to talk about it.

Cyberbob posted:

Every dungeon's random encounter seems like one of my party could potentially die due to how hard everything hits. I'm not exactly underleveled either.

If they do die, do you think I could raise him? Nope. gotta use one of the seriously limited Phoenix Down's, which can't be purchased.

Out of MP? Reckon you could chuck us an elixir/ether? Nope, I'm over half way through the game and I think I've seen one or two in the wild.

Yeah, FF3DS (which I think the iOS version's based on?) was bad because it was designed to be ~oldschool~ and it wasn't done very well. I'd honestly jump ship now, the game hasn't really held up well and the DS version certainly didn't help that. V and VI on the other hand have and are a lot of fun, if pretty friggin' easy.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Schwartzcough posted:

*sigh, why do I even respond* Or it could be because Square charged full price for a game where 95% of the enemies and 95% of the locations (as well as countless sound effects, music, animations, obviously the graphics engine, etc.) were completely copied & pasted from X. X-2 probably required about 1/100th of the resources to make as one of their main-lines, but cost just as much. It suggests a game that was shoveled out quickly to make a quick buck, regardless of how you feel about the storyline or characters or battle system.

So it's not really about the re-used assets, but that you think the game is overpriced? Whether is was intended to just make a quick buck or not says nothing about the quality of the game.

Schwartzcough posted:

I don't think anyone would really expect a complete graphics overhaul for a direct sequel, but they could've given you some more new locations that weren't completely square gray corridors that probably took a half hour to design. X told the story of a pilgrimage- you would logically follow the path from temple to temple, which explains the corridor-like structure of areas in X. In X-2, you start off with an airship and are exploring the ENTIRE WORLD for spheres; so why is it you can STILL only walk down the exact same paths in the same areas you went down in X?

This is a serious question: What would be the point of many major new locations? Would the new locations replace the old ones or would they just be added on? Is it solely that you just want to see new scenery? I don't know, to me the main function of locations is to hold the battles, items, sidequests, etc. The reused ones from X do the job just fine and still look good. The ability to jump around to see other parts was a pretty good idea, too, I think.

Schwartzcough posted:

The game isn't using the Tidus-beats-dog; Wakka-beats-bug rock-paper-scissors system of X, which I suspect was the reason X was lacking in enemy variety to begin with- it easily let people identify an enemy's "weakness." There was no reason more new enemy varieties couldn't be introduced in X-2.

Enemies look the same but they play differently than they do in X. More variety is always a good thing, though.

Fungah! posted:

Because every drat post you've made in the last few pages has been you aggressively defending an OK game by refusing to listen to anyone else's criticisms of it and now you're trying to swing the thread conversation back that way when no one else wants to talk about it.

Look at the arrogance in this post. Get over yourself, dude.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
X-2 was deliberately hurried to compensate for The Spirits Within flopping, wasn't it?

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

This was posted in the PS3 Games thread, but it would be more suitable to discuss it here.

Cartoon Man posted:

If you believe Kotaku FF Versus XIII was officially cancelled internally at Square last week, but they don't plan to make any annoucement. They want it to just fade away so as not to hurt stock prices.

Who are these sources that they keeps referencing, and why do they report solely to Kotaku?

I'm not convinced that Versus XIII has been cancelled, unless it's said by Square Enix directly. If they wanted us to forget about the game, then why would they put its music in Theatrhythm?

Nomura was pretty clear that the game entered full production last September, so the years before that were either spent in pre-production, developing the new engine or helping the FFXIII team get their game finished.

The article mentions the possibility that content from Versus will be re-used in Final Fantasy XV, but that could be just a re-branding to distance Versus from XIII and XIII-2.

Final Fantasy XII and XIII both went massively over budget and schedule, but they were still stitched up and released. If games like Alan Wake and L.A. Noire can be released after 10-year development cycles, then I'm sure Square Enix can still release this game and make a profit.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I wouldn't be surprised if Versus XIII was rebranded as XV.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

That loving Sned posted:

I'm not convinced that Versus XIII has been cancelled, unless it's said by Square Enix directly.

I don't know, it wouldn't surprise me too much considering this is SE we're talking about. When was the last time they released a current gen game that was not XIII or XIII-2? They're more interested in portable gaming and their branch studios nowadays.

It'd be really stupid of them, though. I mean, what else are they going to do for a game this gen? If they do anything else at all.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Krad posted:

I don't know, it wouldn't surprise me too much considering this is SE we're talking about. When was the last time they released a current gen game that was not XIII or XIII-2? They're more interested in portable gaming and their branch studios nowadays.

It'd be really stupid of them, though. I mean, what else are they going to do for a game this gen? If they do anything else at all.

Since '87 there have been 3 main releases each gen. XV this gen isn't unlikely.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
But I'm not talking about FF exclusively, I'm talking about their games in general. They got a bunch of games out for the PS1, the number then went down a notch with the PS2 but they still got plenty, and now... just two I guess?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

They own Eidos now, so I guess you could argue that they've released Deux Ex and have Hitman, Tomb Raider and possibly Thief 4 in the pipeline for release this generation. But I agree, core SE aren't really pulling the same amount of weight they used to... It does seem like they must have thrown too much money at Versus XIII just to toss it all away though.

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

AngryCaterpillar posted:

X-2 was deliberately hurried to compensate for The Spirits Within flopping, wasn't it?

No it was for Final Fantasy 11.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Moldy Taxes posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if Versus XIII was rebranded as XV.

I'm thinking either that or they just drop the XIII and call it "Final Fantasy Versus" or something silly. When you get to XV I think saying the game title aloud is a little silly; pretty much every other big franchise has switched to subtitles at this point except Dragon Quest, and they're only just now getting to X.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

That loving Sned posted:

I'm not convinced that Versus XIII has been cancelled, unless it's said by Square Enix directly. If they wanted us to forget about the game, then why would they put its music in Theatrhythm?

The trailer music from years ago is what's in theatrhythm.