Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

Checked out Elvenking and Astral Doors after reading this thread. Just the sort of thing I was looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Nordick posted:

Yes, do so, Blind Guardian are loving awesome. Fiendish Dr. Wu is also correct about their sound changing over time, they were a lot more stripped down earlier in their career. Regardless, they've always sounded pretty unique. You should indeed try out their songs from all over their career.

I'm here to write some more about how great BG is, and how everybody should listen to them. Hansi has one of the most unique and talented voices, and he really performs like a modern day bard. He doesn't just sing the songs but he's telling the story with the feelings of the classic storytellers.

The quick song list I put up earlier was just a few of my favorites and ones that really define their sound. The thing is, their style is so diverse that if you don't like one song I'm sure there is something else they do that you might like.

(Now watching The Bard's Song live and wishing I was there.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zklqr1xj32Q

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
On another note entirely, anyone else pretty disappointed with the new Ihsahn album? On my first listen, I thought it was awesome, but on repeated listens it got less and less interesting, and I have no desire to listen to it anymore. This isn't even due to overplaying it, according to Last.fm I have listened to it 5 times all the way through. I enjoyed After a lot more. Anyone else had similar experiences with other albums this year/this album in particular?

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

nomapple posted:

On another note entirely, anyone else pretty disappointed with the new Ihsahn album? On my first listen, I thought it was awesome, but on repeated listens it got less and less interesting, and I have no desire to listen to it anymore. This isn't even due to overplaying it, according to Last.fm I have listened to it 5 times all the way through. I enjoyed After a lot more. Anyone else had similar experiences with other albums this year/this album in particular?

Yeah. I dig his creativity but maybe it was too much sax.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Yeah. I dig his creativity but maybe it was too much sax.

It doesn't help that when I saw him at Hellfest (the weekend before the release) he was a bit disappointing :/ Oh well, there's always going to be a disappointing album, but I thought Sigur Rós had already released my "biggest disappointment of 2012". :sigh:

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Speaking unique voices and sounds in metal, I've been listening to so much Ihsahn, Leprous, ICS Vortex and I need more. How about some other, I guess I'll call it genre defying, metal along those lines?

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

You wanna save this place, right? And I want to destroy it. Brick by hypocritical brick.

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Speaking unique voices and sounds in metal, I've been listening to so much Ihsahn, Leprous, ICS Vortex and I need more. How about some other, I guess I'll call it genre defying, metal along those lines?

I can't recommend Winterhorde enough (from Israel). Not quite as genre-defying, but they're absolutely worth listening to. They've got the prog/symphonic black mix almost perfect.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

(Now watching The Bard's Song live and wishing I was there.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zklqr1xj32Q

It's pretty goddamn awesome being there. You should try to see them live at least once to experience it.

Found Sound
Jun 8, 2010

Looks like the complete Noctis lineup got revealed. Headliners are motherfuckin' Venom and Agalloch. Also Pig Destroyer, Manilla Road, Grand Magus, Nunslaughter, Black Witchery, Excrementory Grindfuckers, Midnight, Psychostick, Archspire, The Order of Chaos, Kataplexis, Scythia, Ancients, Phantom Limb.

Super excited. It's September 27-29 in Calgary.

Portable Staplefrog
May 21, 2007

Today, one of my few live human friends introduced me to Abominable Putridity. They are very much not my thing, but you might like them!

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

Found Sound posted:

Looks like the complete Noctis lineup got revealed. Headliners are motherfuckin' Venom and Agalloch. Also Pig Destroyer, Manilla Road, Grand Magus, Nunslaughter, Black Witchery, Excrementory Grindfuckers, Midnight, Psychostick, Archspire, The Order of Chaos, Kataplexis, Scythia, Ancients, Phantom Limb.

Venom got added to this?

Motherfucccccckkkkkkk.

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

Portable Staplefrog posted:

Today, one of my few live human friends introduced me to Abominable Putridity. They are very much not my thing, but you might like them!

Far and away the best slam album of the year.

Also I know they're a joke band but I would love to see the Grindfuckers live.

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010

nomapple posted:

I like After better but Eremita's still really good. I blasted "The Grave" in my car and pretty much lost my poo poo, that song is nuts.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

IRQ posted:

It's pretty goddamn awesome being there. You should try to see them live at least once to experience it.

I saw them in Charlotte after Twist in the Myth, which granted was a long time ago, but they blew me away. Dunno if this is normal behavior but I was not expecting And Then There Was Silence at a live gig :black101:

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
MDF XI 2013

VENOM (UK) - Exclusive US headlining show.
CARCASS (UK) - Exclusive US show.
MANILLA ROAD
RIGHTEOUS PIGS - Exclusive US reunion show.
PENTAGRAM
ANTAEUS (France) - Exclusive US show.
INTEGRITY
CONVULSE (Finland) - Exclusive US show.
AOSOTH (France) - Exclusive US show.
PELICAN
MIDNIGHT
!TOOH! (Czech Republic) - Exclusive US show.
MORGION
KOMMANDANT
AHUMADO GRANUJO (Czech Republic)
INGROWING (Czech Republic)

Manilla Road :swoon:

Found Sound posted:

I was very jealous of Manilla Road being there until I found out they are playing at MDF. That's a great lineup, minus Agalloch, who are boring. I fell asleep during their set at MDF.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Holy poo poo at the lineup already

Speaking of !TOOH!, I don't know how I forgot about them when someone wanted "unique" vocals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Egw9BCKjHqk

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Rumor: At The Gates will also make their first MDF appearance this year.

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Even Death Metal Monsters Love Cookies
At the Gates is doing Barge to Hell, so it wouldn't be totally off base.

Also, VENOM. I have been saying they will/should play for since Day 3 of 2011. Glad I'm finally right. :)

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

thepitgoddess posted:

At the Gates is doing Barge to Hell, so it wouldn't be totally off base.

Also, VENOM. I have been saying they will/should play for since Day 3 of 2011. Glad I'm finally right. :)

They're touring Central America now, and since The Haunted seems to be inactive since their frontman left, it seems likely that they would take up a fairly big headlining spot where a lot of people want to see them.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

King Diamond's vocals are about as unique as I can think of it metal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGqURFqqYKI

Yeah, I know, everybody's heard of him, but I thought I'd throw out the suggestion for the dude that asked a few pages back.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Zodijackylite posted:

MDF XI 2013

PENTAGRAM

just to be clear, which one?

(Also yeah psyched for Venom, Carcass, and Manilla Road)

Wyzt
Mar 22, 2007

At the Heart of the Swarm

het posted:

just to be clear, which one?

(Also yeah psyched for Venom, Carcass, and Manilla Road)

I'm assuming the doom one, other one officially changed their name to "Pentagram Chile"...that and they just played in 2011.

Super stoked for this line up so far

Wyzt fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Jul 20, 2012

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
People who are looking for genre-defying or uniquely vocalled metal should definitely check out Ved Buends Ende. I don't really know anyone else who sounds like them, but they have a really great sinister, progressive sound https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMPfYr7JiZM

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

IRQ posted:

Seconding this, Blind Guardian are a loving magical live band.
There's just something about the connection they have with the crowd that makes it amazing. Saw them in Tuska Open Air a few years back, and everyone (myself included) just kept singing along to all the bloody songs all the time. And yeah, they also played And Then There Was Silence and it loving owned.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Thirding the Blind Guardian is awesome live sentiment. I've seen them two or three times, including their very first US tour, and they're always amazing. I also saw them play And Then There Was Silence and it did indeed loving own.

I do wish they'd play When Sorrow Sang live some time though. That song is the poo poo.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Fourthing? Fifthing that?

When I saw them last, they said it was the last time they were ever going to play "Majesty" live because they were sick of playing it :3:

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
They sure don't seem to play Noldor live much either :(

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

I think it's pretty telling that they just have so many songs you could put in a setlist. They're kind of like Maiden in that there are 3-5 songs they pretty much always have to play, but they can radically change the setlist every tour and pretty much everyone is happy with it.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Speaking of, seeing Maiden for the 3rd time on Tuesday than the next day I have Skeletonwitch. My neck is going to fall off.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

Drifter287 posted:

Thirding the Blind Guardian is awesome live sentiment. I've seen them two or three times, including their very first US tour, and they're always amazing. I also saw them play And Then There Was Silence and it did indeed loving own.

I do wish they'd play When Sorrow Sang live some time though. That song is the poo poo.

I saw Blind Guardian in St. Petersburg FL and someone was kind enough to video tape it and upload it all to youtube. I can hear myself singing the Bard Song! I can't wait to see them again, it's always an amazing show. Plus, I absolutely LOVE seeing all these nerds with long hair and tucked in Blind Guardian t-shirts.

Serbern
Feb 17, 2011
Hello Metal Thread, I'm looking for some recommendations.

First, a few of what i like: Burzum (Belus is the best imo, favorite song is Glemselens elv), Drudkh (especially vocals on Autumn Aurora and Blood in our wells, didn't hear any other albums), Dimmu Borgir, Gojira (only heard the newest album), Baroness (same here), some Opeth, Tool (Lateralus being my favorite album, and Stinkfist being one of the best songs outside of that album).

I generally prefer double kick drums and the guitar style of Dimmu Borgir, the rest of the band if cool too but those are the main things i enjoy. Two examples of the guitar style i'm talking about, from their newest album:

Dimmu Borgir - Born Treacherous 3:05 to 3:30

Dimmu Borgir - Renewal 2:20 to 2:45

Also Puritania is a big favorite.

..And for what i don't like that much:

Drums like this: Taake - Fra Vadested til Vaandesmed 0:10 to 0:20

Vocals that sound kinda cheesy to me, such as Symphony X - Iconoclast. I tried listening to this album today, not knowing anything about them from before, and I had to shut it off just a few minutes into the first song.

That's it. I'm not really sure where to go from here, or even what these genres are called. Recommendations will be appreciated!

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Serbern posted:

I generally prefer double kick drums and the guitar style of Dimmu Borgir, the rest of the band if cool too but those are the main things i enjoy. Two examples of the guitar style i'm talking about, from their newest album:

There's nothing especially distinctive about the guitar in these two clips. Are you talking about how the kick drum is doubling the guitar?

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Serbern posted:

If you're not a fan of the high pitched vocals, then there is plenty of other genres you would probably enjoy. Do you like any of these? Seems you'd be at home with death and black metal.

Behemoth
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yh_s9gVfoMw&feature=related

Immortal
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGjgthbNNWE

Nile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G05Vo1mB-I8&feature=related

Origin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxC_MckLvs8

Serbern
Feb 17, 2011

Misogynist posted:

There's nothing especially distinctive about the guitar in these two clips. Are you talking about how the kick drum is doubling the guitar?

Yes, that too. I'm not very good at describing this stuff. I mean heavier riffs used as a kind of breakdown in a song, more often than not playing triplets in some way. The kick drum also helps a lot in achieving what I'm looking for.

The point of posting those two clips was to show what i like from Dimmu especially.

To apply this to other genres, this is also in the same "style" that I'm looking for:
Tool - Stinkfist 4:20 until 4:40. Here it's more of a build up than a breakdown though.
Hope that helps!

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

Serbern posted:

First, a few of what i like: Burzum (Belus is the best imo, favorite song is Glemselens elv), Drudkh (especially vocals on Autumn Aurora and Blood in our wells, didn't hear any other albums), Dimmu Borgir, Gojira (only heard the newest album), Baroness (same here), some Opeth, Tool (Lateralus being my favorite album, and Stinkfist being one of the best songs outside of that album).

Also Puritania is a big favorite.

..And for what i don't like that much:

Drums like this: Taake - Fra Vadested til Vaandesmed 0:10 to 0:20

Vocals that sound kinda cheesy to me, such as Symphony X - Iconoclast. I tried listening to this album today, not knowing anything about them from before, and I had to shut it off just a few minutes into the first song.

That's it. I'm not really sure where to go from here, or even what these genres are called. Recommendations will be appreciated!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ywxm6zLEjFY

Kjorteo
Jun 25, 2012

by angerbot
The thing about Blind Guardian live is that they can make you believe that they care about their fans, even when they really don't have to.

I live in an area that has apparently never heard of them, judging by the fact that they played in some small crappy theater to a crowd that couldn't have been more than 80 to 100 at most, probably less. On the other hand, everyone who was there clearly wanted to be; apparently the reactions to Blind Guardian in this town are "who?" or "oh God they're the best I own all their albums" with absolutely nothing in between. We sang along to the Bard's Song, and Valhalla, and everything. (They opened with Sacred Worlds and did Nightfall fairly early on, so my voice was utterly destroyed even before those ones came out, but of course I tried to do them anyway.) Basically, take the crowd from the Imaginations Through the Looking Glass DVD, but only take a very small handful of them, and that was what happened here.

Hansi was a great sport, though, and even commented between songs that the crowd was "small in numbers, but large in spirit." He really seemed to appreciate the support, and none of them held back at all.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Misogynist posted:

Dude is looking for percussive guitars.

Give Darkspace a try.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVGUjSHQmlA&t=284s

And more awesome industrial sounding parts of this song is great too. Wolves in the Throne Room should be in everyone's recommendation anyways so here you are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sxraPMvjVc&t=25s

Ruins of Beverast, getting away from percussive sounding guitars and more into just awesome drumming

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Szc5YievPPw&t=260s

Stay Safe fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jul 20, 2012

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Gonna nth the recommendation of Blind Guardian owning at music. Such a great band and Hansi has a great voice, even if his fascination with overdubbing annoys me some times. many great songs and every other good thing people have said about BG are true. Everyone should get a chance to see BG live. It rules.

Another band I like that has awesome/"unique" vocals is Lost Horizon. Heiman's voice is just utterly fantastic and is one of the greatest voices ever in my opinion. His range is amazing and is one of the main reasons why Lost Horizon was so awesome. That wail during Highlander is amazing. Please go back to Lost Horizon and record a new album Daniel :ohdear:

Wyzt
Mar 22, 2007

At the Heart of the Swarm
Blind Guardian is one of those bands where EVERYONE in the audience will sing along, which is always fun. My favorite of those kind of bands is Tyr, because of the faroese....everyone still sings along to the faroese parts, basically mumbling the parts, and its hilarious/awesome.

Well, I figured I'd share it here...my fairly new band has released a new song. Im fairly happy with it, and just happy to for the first time hear a song I mostly wrote(everything but the first two riffs) in a decently good recording. I'm vocals+guitar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAMbzXOvgzk

EDIT: VV Wasn't saying it sarcastically or anything, just gave my two reasons for assuming it was the american pentagram. Both bands kicked rear end at MDF when I saw em.

Wyzt fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jul 21, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Wyzt posted:

I'm assuming the doom one, other one officially changed their name to "Pentagram Chile"...that and they just played in 2011.

Super stoked for this line up so far
Right, but I asked because in 2011 the lineup card definitely didn't make it clear that it was the Chilean one (nothing against them, of course, it was apparently a last minute replacement sort of deal)