Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dush
Jan 23, 2011

Mo' Money

Kharmakazy posted:

It was a design decision to have a bunch of tribals try and murder you then immediately send another tribal to try and talk to you. Even if you can't kill him it's confusing if you don't know it's supposed to happen.

I dunno, it's a pretty cool scene. He sneaks up behind the guy and whacks him with one of those clubs. It's really a shame whatever happened to make him not invincible anymore - sure, it's a bit confusing, but if you're paying attention you see something cool, and if you're not you're not losing out by shooting him because he's invincible. Except he's not :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merry Magpie
Jan 8, 2012

A superstitious cowardly lot.

Kharmakazy posted:

Because tribals shot at me, he looks like a tribal, and I didn't see him kill anyone.

Then you murdered a man because he vaguely looked like someone else. Regardless of friendly actions on his part.

That's pretty awful.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Merry Magpie posted:

Then you murdered a man because he vaguely looked like someone else. Regardless of friendly actions on his part.

That's pretty awful.

No dude, they all look the same until you know otherwise. Unless you actually see him killing the other guys you have no way of knowing that he's on your side.

I didn't see any friendly actions. I saw a guy who looked like the other guys who were trying to kill me.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Merry Magpie posted:

That's pretty awful.

Not that I've ever shot Follows-Chalk because I'm smart and junk, but the entire game has trained you that pretty much anything that has a weapon wants to use it on your face and you should kill them. Furthermore, you're on a bridge with no cover being shot at by enemies, who not to shoot is likely a very low priority.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Not only that but it's further simplified by the fact that so far in the DLC... all the dudes wearing pants have been shot at by all the dudes not wearing pants. Here comes another dude not wearing pants.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
What happened for me when I played HH is that I was shooting the White Leg tribal, accidentally hit Follows-Chalk (without knowing he was friendly, I completely missed that entire scene of him killing the White Leg. I was probably running for cover somewhere), and then he attacked me, so I killed him.

Then I reloaded because I had an inkling that wasn't supposed to happen.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Kharmakazy posted:

It was a design decision to have a bunch of tribals try and murder you then immediately send another tribal to try and talk to you. Even if you can't kill him it's confusing if you don't know it's supposed to happen.

If you're confused by this then you'd be confused by anything.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

MrL_JaKiri posted:

If you're confused by this then you'd be confused by anything.

Lots of people made similar mistakes or we wouldn't even be talking about it. Hell, they wouldn't have bothered trying to make him invulnerable in the first place. Thanks for the personal insult though.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Jerusalem posted:

he looks just like all the others

Oh, I see how it is. :colbert:

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
So is there any way, mod or otherwise, to remap the keys in the PC version on things like the barter menu or VATS? It feels a little weird to use A to accept a barter when it's my "strafe left" key.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Kharmakazy posted:

Lots of people made similar mistakes or we wouldn't even be talking about it. Hell, they wouldn't have bothered trying to make him invulnerable in the first place. Thanks for the personal insult though.

Once he starts talking to you perhaps you'd become less confused?

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Once he starts talking to you perhaps you'd become less confused?

Yes... once he actually starts talking to you it's pretty clear that he intends to talk to you and not murder you like everyone else without pants.

Haeleus
Jun 30, 2009

He made one fatal slip when he tried to match the ranger with the big iron on his hip.
Does karma in NV have any effects a la FO3, such as with endings or companion interaction? I've always played as a good guy but perhaps this time I'll descend into pickpocketing and such.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Haeleus posted:

Does karma in NV have any effects a la FO3, such as with endings or companion interaction? I've always played as a good guy but perhaps this time I'll descend into pickpocketing and such.

Cass won't join you with low karma/will leave if you do bad things/use drugs constantly, but otherwise, no, not really. I think there are like, two Karma dialogue checks at some point.

Feed Me A Cat
Jun 18, 2012

Kharmakazy posted:

Unless you actually see him killing the other guys you have no way of knowing that he's on your side.

VATS showed him as neutral, having a specific name, and having different equipment than the people ambushing the caravan when I played HH for the first time :colbert:

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Feed Me A Cat posted:

VATS showed him as neutral, having a specific name, and having different equipment than the people ambushing the caravan when I played HH for the first time :colbert:

I wasn't using vats.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

The first time I went through HH I drilled a bullet right into his stupid skull and I was using a scope. After getting out of that fish-in-barrel shooting gallery, I was slowly creeping across the bridge, and I saw the hostile tribal that he is supposed to kill pop into the scene. I blew his head apart before Follows Chalk even spawned into the game, so when FC finally popped into existence and rushed me I naturally shot him as quickly as possible. What I don't get is, the game has demonstrated that they can have an NPC start a conversation with you from a long distance away, so why not have FC not spawn until all hostile White Legs are dead, and then immediate engage the Courier in conversation regardless of how far away you are?

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

I shot round after round after round at him and nothing happened. :iiam:

The best part of Honest Hearts is "going native" and stripping off all of your high tech armor and weapons and using tribal armor instead for the length of the DLC.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

homeless poster posted:

The first time I went through HH I drilled a bullet right into his stupid skull and I was using a scope. After getting out of that fish-in-barrel shooting gallery, I was slowly creeping across the bridge, and I saw the hostile tribal that he is supposed to kill pop into the scene. I blew his head apart before Follows Chalk even spawned into the game, so when FC finally popped into existence and rushed me I naturally shot him as quickly as possible. What I don't get is, the game has demonstrated that they can have an NPC start a conversation with you from a long distance away, so why not have FC not spawn until all hostile White Legs are dead, and then immediate engage the Courier in conversation regardless of how far away you are?

Because he's intended to show up and kill the last enemy that's shooting at you, then come down and talk. I don't know how its possible to spray bullets in his direction unless you're trying to snipe with a pistol. Also his compass marker isn't even red :confused:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

It's pretty pointless to argue over how easy or not easy it is to shoot him - the fact that it can happen at all is Not A Good Thing. And it clearly happened to plenty of people or it wouldn't even be a discussion :P

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
Maybe this was changed in the complete edition? I tried to snipe him without him reacting in any way and then he started a conversation with me from the rock when I was about halfway across the bridge.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

homeless poster posted:

That is the way it originally worked. He appeared, unarmed, on the rock, waving at you and initiated conversation when you were halfway across the bridge. Someone suggested the version that eventually shipped (minus the bugs). It's ultimately my responsibility, but I wish we had left it the way it was.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

rope kid posted:

That is the way it originally worked. He appeared, unarmed, on the rock, waving at you and initiated conversation when you were halfway across the bridge. Someone suggested the version that eventually shipped (minus the bugs). It's ultimately my responsibility, but I wish we had left it the way it was.

Hey let me just say thanks for the jsawyer mod. It serious kicks so much rear end it's not even funny. You have made an awesome product that has given me hundreds of hours of entertainment, and then released a free patch that cranked the fun up to 11. Nice work.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Bilal posted:

I shot round after round after round at him and nothing happened. :iiam:

The best part of Honest Hearts is "going native" and stripping off all of your high tech armor and weapons and using tribal armor instead for the length of the DLC.

Last of the Mojavecans.

Dances With White-Legs.

Feed Me A Cat
Jun 18, 2012

Kharmakazy posted:

I wasn't using vats.

:thejoke:

Seriously though, VATS at range has saved me from blasting quest NPCs so many times it's just what I do now when I see a big group. It's not the game's fault that the player doesn't slow down and exercise some caution.

erazure
Oct 23, 2005

With a melee character, the War Club from Honest Hearts is awesome. Fastest melee in the game and its damage is pretty good (though suffers against poo poo with actual DT), but fighting off hordes of animal monsters come to eat your face? Perfect weapon. Plus it gets a special attack in VATS.

loving Nightstalkers in Old World Blues, for instance... :arghfist::mad:

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

erazure posted:

loving Nightstalkers in Old World Blues, for instance... :arghfist::mad:

I went in with Animal Friend 2. :smug:

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

D34THROW posted:

I went in with Animal Friend 2. :smug:

I do that, then kill them anyway for the blood sausage. They never see it coming.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

erazure posted:

With a melee character, the War Club from Honest Hearts is awesome. Fastest melee in the game and its damage is pretty good (though suffers against poo poo with actual DT), but fighting off hordes of animal monsters come to eat your face? Perfect weapon. Plus it gets a special attack in VATS.
Piercing Strike, yo.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I just picked up the Ultimate Edition. Is there any way to not be given all the stuff from the Gun Runners' Pack, etc. when I start a new game? I unchecked the boxes in Data Files but I still get them added to my inventory when I start, and I don't feel like being cheaty.

The JSawyer mod moves all the Courier Stash items out of your starting inventory to *~Secret Locations~*.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I played the hell out of FO3 and just now finally purchased the FNV Ultimate edition from the steam summer sale. For the longest time I never felt motivated to buy FNV for some reason but seeing it on sale with all DLC for $10 I had to grab it, and memories of wandering around the capital wasteland came flooding back and I'm looking forward to exploring the Mojave.

Any mods worth getting for a first time play through of FNV other than maybe the graphics oriented mods?

Heti
May 22, 2007

I like Video Games

Mustang posted:

I played the hell out of FO3 and just now finally purchased the FNV Ultimate edition from the steam summer sale. For the longest time I never felt motivated to buy FNV for some reason but seeing it on sale with all DLC for $10 I had to grab it, and memories of wandering around the capital wasteland came flooding back and I'm looking forward to exploring the Mojave.

Any mods worth getting for a first time play through of FNV other than maybe the graphics oriented mods?

Well definitely get DarnUI. You wont be able to play without it after trying it for 5 minutes.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I'd get a UI mod, the sprint mod if you're an impatient fucker like me, and nothing else aside from texture improvement stuff. Play and then mod later.

It's also loving amazing, you're in for a treat. I liked it so much more than FO3.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
People who have the problem of killing Follows-Chalk on the first time meeting him; are you using sniper builds and just trying to cap everything from 1000+ yards away? I've played through Honest Hearts at least three times but never entered there with a scoped weapon, so by the time I see Follows-Chalk he's close enough to start talking.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

People who have the problem of killing Follows-Chalk on the first time meeting him; are you using sniper builds and just trying to cap everything from 1000+ yards away? I've played through Honest Hearts at least three times but never entered there with a scoped weapon, so by the time I see Follows-Chalk he's close enough to start talking.

There are people that don't use stealth-critical gun builds?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Dan Didio posted:

The package contained launch/detonation codes for the missiles in the pre-war Hopeville missile silo beneath the Hopevill community.

They were sent, by the NCR military to a thriving community recently annexed by the NCR, that was being fought for by the NCR against the Legion, so no, I doubt they knew what was going to happen. The detonations that created the Divide were certainly accidental.

Actually, it was ED-E.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side
dividing sparrows from the nightingales
I can understand why people shot Follows-Chalk. Hell, I tried my first time through and my only saving grace was that I have a terrible aim and missed.

What I don't understand is how you could do it, get like half a dozen quest failure notices, loot the named body and retrieve the unique headgear, find that everyone and everything (including every other named character with unique gear) is hostile and not realize you hosed up.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Mustang posted:

What the others said, and CASM.

I'd also recommend Project Nevada, but you might want to save that for the next playthrough. Check the mod thread.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

suuma posted:

I don't know how its possible to spray bullets in his direction unless you're trying to snipe with a pistol.

The first time I played Honest Hearts, my primary weapon was a grenade rifle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Coughing Hobo posted:

Not that I've ever shot Follows-Chalk because I'm smart and junk, but the entire game has trained you that pretty much anything that has a weapon wants to use it on your face and you should kill them.

Haha, I had an encounter like this the other night with NCRs. I did a Lv1 New Vegas run so I could pick up the +int implant, but decided that since I was already there and almost at 3, I should get to Lv3 before going back to finish up the Goodsprings stuff and go through the story. I peeked around a corner, saw some dudes with guns, thought they were Fiends... and then as I crouched, I noticed that I was just [detected]. Lucky them, probably lucky me too since I was just Lv2 and there were two of them.