Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Dice Dice Baby posted:

How does Aurora play with extensions? I wouldn't be able to live without my precious mouse gestures :ohdear:

I use FireGestures without issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shitty Treat
Feb 21, 2012

Stoopid?
Edit: never mind it was https everywhere hijacking it.

Shitty Treat fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Jul 14, 2012

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!
Is there any way to install an earlier version of Flash and keep Firefox from auto-updating it? After fighting with the hellspawn that is version 300.265 of flash I am at my wits end here. It's disabled right now to keep firefox from using all 4 gigs of my ram when it freezes.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK
Did you try disabling protected mode?

Downgrading comes with a whole host of risks, particularly the potential for opening yourself to exploits that the new versions fixed.

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"

lovely Treat posted:

Edit: never mind it was https everywhere hijacking it.

Hijacking what? I use HTTPS Everywhere and would like to know what happened

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

Dice Dice Baby posted:

Don't know what problem he had, but I have noticed that the 3.0 experimental does not like Gawker comments, even if you disable it. Not really a big loss.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

m2pt5 posted:

Downgrading comes with a whole host of risks, particularly the potential for opening yourself to exploits that the new versions fixed.
Uh, disabling protected mode comes with a ton of risks too.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

Uh, disabling protected mode comes with a ton of risks too.

Depends on what kind of websites you visit and how heavily you have AdBlock/Flashblock doing their things.

Shitty Treat
Feb 21, 2012

Stoopid?

Dice Dice Baby posted:

It was forcing all my google searches to go through google.com, not very helpful when shopping and it returns everything from american stores and not UK ones.

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

m2pt5 posted:

I tried disabling protected mode, still freezes on pretty much any site that uses Flash (youtube, facebook, embedded videos, etc.). Flash is disabled right now, that's the only way I can browse sites with firefox.

Office Thug fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jul 16, 2012

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Office Thug posted:

I tried disabling protected mode, still freezes on pretty much any site that uses Flash (youtube, facebook, embedded videos, etc.). Flash is disabled right now, that's the only way I can browse sites with firefox right now.
Make absolutely sure you have the latest video drivers from your video adapter manufacturer's website.

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Alereon posted:

Make absolutely sure you have the latest video drivers from your video adapter manufacturer's website.

I have the latest driver, unless there's a super new one that came out sometime in the last 2 weeks that I'm not aware of.

Edit: NVIDIA updates my driver automatically since my last update too.

Edit 2: Welp, Adobe Acrobat does not work either. I'll try reinstalling every adobe-related thing.

Edit 3: The new firefox update fixed everything! Yes!!

Office Thug fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jul 18, 2012

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

For some reason Firefox 14's new theme makes me feel like the font rendering used in tab titles sucks.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

For some reason Firefox 14's new theme makes me feel like the font rendering used in tab titles sucks.

It's been a while since I've used Firefox 14, what changed from 13 theme-wise?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

So apparently the new version of Firefox doesn't reload saved tabs when you restore them (such as from a browser crash/close). Anyone know how to turn that back on? I've wandered through about:config, but there was nothing obvious that might control that behavior.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

SeaTard posted:

So apparently the new version of Firefox doesn't reload saved tabs when you restore them (such as from a browser crash/close). Anyone know how to turn that back on? I've wandered through about :config, but there was nothing obvious that might control that behavior.

Options -> General -> Disable "Don't load tabs until selected"

(If it's disabled, switch to "Show my windows and tabs from last time", toggle the checkbox, and switch back.)

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Avenging Dentist posted:

Options -> General -> Disable "Don't load tabs until selected"

I'm apparently blind, thanks.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Can anyone give me some noscript help?

I'd like to only allow facebook.com and fbcdn.net javascript only when I'm on facebook.com itself. I want to avoid loading all their crap on other websites. I found this ABE functionality which seems to do the job and I've added

Site fbcdn.net *.fbcdn.net
Accept from facebook.com *.facebook.com youtube.com *.youtube.com
Deny

However it doesn't seem to work properly, the URLs are still blocked or unblocked globally. Something similar for Twitter would be amazing as well!

EDIT:

This seems to work but there's a problem with HTTPS, do you think that's possible to work around?

Site .facebook.com .fbcdn.net
Accept from .facebook.com .fbcdn.net
Deny INCLUSION(SCRIPT, OBJ, SUBDOC)

But it doesn't give you the option of temporarily allowing it on a page, its completely removed from the drop down list.

Sri.Theo fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Jul 19, 2012

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Okay for the past five FF versions the YouTube HTML5 player causes FF to lock up for like 10 seconds, but then it works and the video plays. If I use full-screen then it completely fucks my browser window and turns it into a tiny little window. Also the right-click menu is covered up by the FF right-click menu.

Basically every single part of the YouTube HTML5 player is completely hosed for me, and it's getting really old fast. I've disabled all plugins and extensions with no effect.

What loving gives Mozilla?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

law abiding rapist posted:

Okay for the past five FF versions the YouTube HTML5 player causes FF to lock up for like 10 seconds, but then it works and the video plays. If I use full-screen then it completely fucks my browser window and turns it into a tiny little window. Also the right-click menu is covered up by the FF right-click menu.

Basically every single part of the YouTube HTML5 player is completely hosed for me, and it's getting really old fast. I've disabled all plugins and extensions with no effect.

What loving gives Mozilla?
That sounds like either a profile or video driver issue. I haven't seen those problems on my system with a GTX 670 and current beta drivers. I'm using Aurora, but if it was a Firefox problem I think at least one of the previous builds I used would have encountered it. Of course, I try to use Youtube's HTML5 player as little as possible due to the slower performance and lower video quality versus Flash.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Alereon posted:

That sounds like either a profile or video driver issue. I haven't seen those problems on my system with a GTX 670 and current beta drivers. I'm using Aurora, but if it was a Firefox problem I think at least one of the previous builds I used would have encountered it. Of course, I try to use Youtube's HTML5 player as little as possible due to the slower performance and lower video quality versus Flash.

This has been happening with all the latest driver versions, I'm on a 560Ti and 301.42.

I should probably reset my profile but then I lose everything, this is the same profile I've been using since FF 4. The install folder is still Mozilla Firefox 4.0 Beta 7.

Flash is also hosed, if I scroll past an embedded video it doesn't seem to refresh the video element properly or something and this happens:

Hugh G. Rectum fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jul 19, 2012

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
That Flash thing is a known issue (with Flash itself), you can improve the situation by disabling Protected Mode at a cost of security. I would try uninstalling and reinstalling Firefox, if you don't select to delete your data when you uninstall there should be essentially no impact. Just back up your profile first to be safe (C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\yourprofilehere). A profile reset would probably also be a good choice. You can use the Profile Reset function from about:support, which makes a new profile and then reimports your data (minus extensions) from the old one.

Edit: Also, I updated the thread title to cover all current versions (Release-Nightly) :)

Alereon fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jul 19, 2012

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Alereon posted:

That Flash thing is a known issue (with Flash itself), you can improve the situation by disabling Protected Mode at a cost of security. I would try uninstalling and reinstalling Firefox, if you don't select to delete your data when you uninstall there should be essentially no impact. Just back up your profile first to be safe (C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\yourprofilehere). A profile reset would probably also be a good choice. You can use the Profile Reset function from about :support, which makes a new profile and then reimports your data (minus extensions) from the old one.

Edit: Also, I updated the thread title to cover all current versions (Release-Nightly) :)

Already did a reinstall, had no effect whatsoever. I guess I'll try remaking my profile since it is a few years old at this point.

Hopefully this is fixable, I really don't want to have to use Chrome. Somehow it manages to be even worse.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

I should probably reset my profile but then I lose everything, this is the same profile I've been using since FF 4. The install folder is still Mozilla Firefox 4.0 Beta 7.

Two things:

1) The install location of Firefox doesn't affect your profile, which is in AppData (or your homedir).

2) You can reset your Firefox profile while keeping most of the important data (bookmarks, history, cookies, passwords, and form data) by going to Help -> Troubleshooting Information -> Reset Firefox. Then you just need to reinstall any extensions you want to keep and mess with prefs to get it back to how you like.

the chief v2
Apr 15, 2010
I just upgraded to version 14.0.1 and it seems to be a major piece of poo poo. It's hogging resources (was using 121k of memory according to task manager) and browsing is frustrating because of how slow it is, presumably because of all the resources it's using. I started using Firefox because it was light and didn't have all the things that made other browsers bloated - except tabbed browsing which was great - but it seems to be just as bad as all the others now. Is it just me?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

the chief v2 posted:

I just upgraded to version 14.0.1 and it seems to be a major piece of poo poo. It's hogging resources (was using 121k of memory according to task manager) and browsing is frustrating because of how slow it is, presumably because of all the resources it's using. I started using Firefox because it was light and didn't have all the things that made other browsers bloated - except tabbed browsing which was great - but it seems to be just as bad as all the others now. Is it just me?
Yes, it shouldn't be behaving poorly for you. 121MB of RAM is almost nothing, it should be using several hundred MB once you've used the browser a bit. This is the expected amount of memory and doesn't mean Firefox is a hog, Chrome uses far more memory. Indeed, it would be slower if it used less RAM, because that means it needs to throw away and regenerate information more often. I'd follow the steps above to back up and reset your profile, and make sure you don't have any crappy add-ons installed. Also update your video drivers, since rendering and compositing are offloaded from your CPU to your GPU if you have drivers compatible with hardware acceleration.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Avenging Dentist posted:

Two things:

1) The install location of Firefox doesn't affect your profile, which is in AppData (or your homedir).

2) You can reset your Firefox profile while keeping most of the important data (bookmarks, history, cookies, passwords, and form data) by going to Help -> Troubleshooting Information -> Reset Firefox. Then you just need to reinstall any extensions you want to keep and mess with prefs to get it back to how you like.

I know both of these, thanks. I was just pointing out that it had been installed a long time ago and was subject to many in-place upgrades. Firefox itself was actually split across both "Mozilla Firefox" and "Mozilla Firefox 4.0 Beta 7". Most of the executables were in the Beta folder while everything else was not.

Like I said before, it does this with everything disabled on a fresh profile. The problem lies with firefox itself, not my settings.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Does the video on this page give you problems too? If not, it's probably not an issue with the video decoding.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Avenging Dentist posted:

Does the video on this page give you problems too? If not, it's probably not an issue with the video decoding.

Nope, that works fine. It's just the YT player that makes it freeze for a second. It also causes the browser to resize when leaving full screen. The context menu is also covered by the default firefox one.

I blame Google and just turned off the HTML5 player for now. It isn't worth the trouble even though it was working fine a few weeks ago.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Nope, that works fine. It's just the YT player that makes it freeze for a second. It also causes the browser to resize when leaving full screen. The context menu is also covered by the default firefox one.

I blame Google and just turned off the HTML5 player for now. It isn't worth the trouble even though it was working fine a few weeks ago.

Yeah it's definitely on YouTube's end. I started getting stalled JS warnings on HTML5 videos last week maybe. Had to turn off the HTML5 beta for now.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

80.91 MB ── heap-allocated
  186.61 MB ── heap-committed
  105.69 MB ── heap-committed-unused
    130.60% ── heap-committed-unused-ratio

They really need a compacting GC.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Huuuurk. Little help here.

My Firefox appears to have updated to 14. Apparently 14 no longer handles history the same way. I delete my non-work related history after work every day (paranoid :tinfoil:), but it seems that the history no longer shows pages that get redirected, as I noticed when I typed in an f and got "forums.somethingawful.com" showing up.

Is there any way to delete those entries from my history without wiping my history entirely? I hate having to do that. :(

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

theshim posted:

Huuuurk. Little help here.

My Firefox appears to have updated to 14. Apparently 14 no longer handles history the same way. I delete my non-work related history after work every day (paranoid :tinfoil:), but it seems that the history no longer shows pages that get redirected, as I noticed when I typed in an f and got "forums.somethingawful.com" showing up.

Is there any way to delete those entries from my history without wiping my history entirely? I hate having to do that. :(

Just highlight them and hit delete. Edit: if this is what's not working anymore, you can also delete from the address bar; scroll down to whatever suggested URL is a problem and tap delete. Works for any autocomplete list, I'm pretty sure.

Of course, they don't really need to rely on your local browser history to see where you're going :tinfoil:

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Toast Museum posted:

Just highlight them and hit delete. Edit: if this is what's not working anymore, you can also delete from the address bar; scroll down to whatever suggested URL is a problem and tap delete. Works for any autocomplete list, I'm pretty sure.

Of course, they don't really need to rely on your local browser history to see where you're going :tinfoil:
Oh huh, didn't notice you can delete from the address bar. Interesting, if less convenient and more irritating. Thanks!

EDIT: nope, it deletes the records but the "forums.somethingawful.com" address still pops up when I type F. Mrrrrrrrg.

(I know about that. I'm more worried about my boss fiddling with my computer directly than the IT people here. Paranoia! :v:)

theshim fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jul 20, 2012

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Why don't you just use private browsing mode?

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Just disable history completely, problem solved.

(I haven't had history enabled for years.)

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

xamphear posted:

Why don't you just use private browsing mode?

I don't tend to use it because you have to restart the browser. That's the one thing that I like that Chrome does that Firefox cant, have a private window along with standard.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Ryokurin posted:

I don't tend to use it because you have to restart the browser. That's the one thing that I like that Chrome does that Firefox cant, have a private window along with standard.

That's changing "soon": https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=463027#c91

LoveisOver
Aug 8, 2011
So from my latest experience Firefox has been the best browser to run Flash. Is that what everyone can agree on or is this just me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Sri.Theo posted:

Can anyone give me some noscript help?

I'd like to only allow facebook.com and fbcdn.net javascript only when I'm on facebook.com itself. I want to avoid loading all their crap on other websites. I found this ABE functionality which seems to do the job and I've added

Site fbcdn.net *.fbcdn.net
Accept from facebook.com *.facebook.com youtube.com *.youtube.com
Deny

However it doesn't seem to work properly, the URLs are still blocked or unblocked globally. Something similar for Twitter would be amazing as well!

EDIT:

This seems to work but there's a problem with HTTPS, do you think that's possible to work around?

Site .facebook.com .fbcdn.net
Accept from .facebook.com .fbcdn.net
Deny INCLUSION(SCRIPT, OBJ, SUBDOC)

But it doesn't give you the option of temporarily allowing it on a page, its completely removed from the drop down list.

OK I've tested this and it clearly isn't working. The boxes showing "your friends activity" still show up, which means that Facebook is still tracking me as well, can anyone kindly offer a solution?

LoveisOver posted:

So from my latest experience Firefox has been the best browser to run Flash. Is that what everyone can agree on or is this just me?

Not in my experience, Flash over the last few updates has been buggier than ever, chrome works better.