Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Oh sure, I ask for podcast recommendations before going on my trip and nobody says poo poo, then dino asks and everyone's full of suggestions. :mad:

It's okay. I still love you guys. Gonna check out Desert Island Discs, it sounds really interesting.

Wiggles, that pork dish sounds sort of Polish and sort of Slovak but not really either. Mostly it just sounds delicious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

therattle posted:

You idiot, that's chewing gum you're thinking of.

Chewing gum stays in your stomach for seven years you imbecile.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Which is the origin of the phrase "The Seven Year Itch" you warthog scented buffoon.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
OMG this is awesome. I've got a bunch of new stuff to listen to. I couldn't really get into the Moth, because of the endless plugs. And anything with heavy music on it just kind of got me more distracted than relaxed. I was like Milhouse in that Poochy episode. "When are they going to get to the fireworks factory!?" It was the issue I had with This American Life.

@TheRattle: I've loved a lot of the BBC Radio 4 stuff, so I think I'd enjoy In Our Time for sure.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

bartolimu posted:

Oh sure, I ask for podcast recommendations before going on my trip and nobody says poo poo, then dino asks and everyone's full of suggestions. :mad:

It's okay. I still love you guys. Gonna check out Desert Island Discs, it sounds really interesting.

Wiggles, that pork dish sounds sort of Polish and sort of Slovak but not really either. Mostly it just sounds delicious.

No, Desert Island Discs is for .dino. You can't listen to it.

Nothing you say has any value until you eat the eggs, so shut your festering cakehole (unless you are opening it to eat said eggs).

dino. posted:

@TheRattle: I've loved a lot of the BBC Radio 4 stuff, so I think I'd enjoy In Our Time for sure.

Yep, Radio 4 it is. Almost uniformly high-quality radio. The In Our Times have the attribute of taking something you didn't know about, or even particularly want to, and making it interesting. Good non-fiction writing, as found in The New Yorker, for example, does the same thing.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

bartolimu posted:

You check out Joe Frank, I'm going to check out Slovak food. Thanks!

Dirty Phil
Jul 3, 2012
That fried gnocchi video made me want to make some fried risotto balls. I was at a friend's wedding this last weekend and there were these amazing fried saffron risotto balls with a roasted tomato sauce.

Anyone have experience frying risotto balls? I have made some good risotto many times so I am not too worried about that, but frying things is still something I have not done much of.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.

Dirty Phil posted:

That fried gnocchi video made me want to make some fried risotto balls. I was at a friend's wedding this last weekend and there were these amazing fried saffron risotto balls with a roasted tomato sauce.

Anyone have experience frying risotto balls? I have made some good risotto many times so I am not too worried about that, but frying things is still something I have not done much of.

Combine your risotto with some breadcrumbs and parm. Add eggs for a binder and form into balls. Then coat completely with bread crumbs. Fry at 350 for 3-5 min.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Phummus posted:

Combine your risotto with some breadcrumbs and parm. Add eggs for a binder and form into balls. Then coat completely with bread crumbs. Fry at 350 for 3-5 min.

You can throw the balls in the freezer for 10 minutes if you want them to be even easier to handle.

Dirty Phil
Jul 3, 2012

Phummus posted:

You can throw the balls in the freezer for 10 minutes if you want them to be even easier to handle.

Thanks for the suggestions; the freezer idea is might be key, I was worried about getting a good shape to hold. I will most likely have to go through a few iterations to get a good approximation of what they did.

I do have some added incentive though. My GF told me that if I can make these balls, she will do "anything" for me... :dance:

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I made a bunch of whole wheat pita bread with the kids on Sunday, let it cool on racks, and left it in my cupboard in a glass container with a lid. I checked them yesterday and they were okay, but today, the mold had gotten to them all. It has been around 100% humidity for the better part of a week, but the loaf of bread loosely wrapped next to them is fine and it was made the same day.

Is there a better way to store pantry bread, or should I just freeze them in the future?

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Dirty Phil posted:

Thanks for the suggestions; the freezer idea is might be key, I was worried about getting a good shape to hold. I will most likely have to go through a few iterations to get a good approximation of what they did.

I do have some added incentive though. My GF told me that if I can make these balls, she will do "anything" for me... :dance:

Looks like you're not paying bills, cooking, or cleaning for the next few months.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Dirty Phil posted:

Arancini de riso is a popular and delicious dish. It's exactly what you're looking for.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

That thing on the bottom, the really curvy wire. Kinda looks like a lower-case M. That's every electric oven's heating element that I've ever, ever seen.

Yeah, so... if my oven has a covered heating element on the bottom it should be okay to leave a pizza stone or stone tile on the bottom, right? (Mine's gas and the heating element is actually in the broiler section, with holes that let the heat up into the main oven chamber).

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Butch Cassidy posted:

I made a bunch of whole wheat pita bread with the kids on Sunday, let it cool on racks, and left it in my cupboard in a glass container with a lid. I checked them yesterday and they were okay, but today, the mold had gotten to them all. It has been around 100% humidity for the better part of a week, but the loaf of bread loosely wrapped next to them is fine and it was made the same day.

Is there a better way to store pantry bread, or should I just freeze them in the future?

Just freeze the extra, or store it in the fridge. Bread made without preservatives will either dry out or mold very, very quickly.

Steve Yun posted:

Yeah, so... if my oven has a covered heating element on the bottom it should be okay to leave a pizza stone or stone tile on the bottom, right? (Mine's gas and the heating element is actually in the broiler section, with holes that let the heat up into the main oven chamber).

I wouldn't, just because you're going to impede the flow of heat. I don't see the problem with leaving a stone on the bottom rack of an oven, really.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Steve Yun posted:

Can you get a small wire rack to put on the bottom of your oven then put the pizza stone on the rack? My electric oven has a covered bottom element and came with a wire rack that sits on the bottom and seems to work ok to hold pizza trays.

Jenkin
Jan 21, 2003

Piracy is our only option.

therattle posted:

You idiot, that's chewing gum you're thinking of.

So I'm a speech therapist and I work in nursing homes. One of the most common exercises for people having difficulty swallowing is to chew gum, which is crude but shockingly effective. Sometimes when I suggest it the old people act like chewing gum is some kind of moral offense akin to peeing in the middle of a church and I just don't get it. :(

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Jenkin posted:

So I'm a speech therapist and I work in nursing homes. One of the most common exercises for people having difficulty swallowing is to chew gum, which is crude but shockingly effective.
That's interesting. Is it just stimulating salivation, or does it affect your throat or something like that?

Jenkin
Jan 21, 2003

Piracy is our only option.
A common side effect of medication is dry mouth, and a lot of the elderly are borderline dehydrated since your sense of thirst diminishes as you age. So the gum gets your saliva going, and then you have to swallow it. You end up working your cheek, jaw, lip, and tongue muscles, but also the muscles in your pharynx end up working as well since you're swallowing a good deal of saliva in quick succession. Gum chewing also decreases the bacterial count in the mouth. I use mint gum, and when you pair it with water the menthol makes sensations more intense, which is good for people who have had strokes or aren't as aware of when food is in their mouths.

I use it a lot for people who have dementia since they can't do more advanced stuff, and it's also really good for people with Parkinson's since they tend to have a lot of trouble managing their saliva. I go through nearly a pack of gum a day when I have a lot of people with trouble swallowing on caseload. I should buy stock in Extra one of these days.

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

Industrial revolution has flipped the bitch on evolution.

Dirty Phil posted:

Put a little cube of mozzarella in the center and mold the cold risotto/egg/breadcrumb/parmesan mixture around it. Then roll in bread crumbs and fry. I like to do these from time to time.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We have a problem from abundance here. There are way, way too many plums on the trees this year, and there's nothing to be done with most of them. We can't eat any more, we've stocked up plum jam and plum honey and made enough prunes to keep us regular for years to come, and still we're daily getting paper grocery sacks full of plums. So I've decided to make slivovitz. I haven't done any home distilling so we'll see how it goes but I've got to do something with all this fruit and slivovitz is one of the best things in the world sooooo.......

Any one have any pointers? There's a couple of old Croatian ladies at church that I could ask but I'm worried that if word gets out I won't be able to keep up enough production to meet the demands of goodwill sharing.

Bart I expect you to come up north and help with this.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Any one have any pointers?

Are there any animal rescues/zoos/human food shelters around that would eat some of the excess?

But man, seriously, too many plums (or apricots, didn't you say you have a slew of apricots too?) sounds like the best problem ever.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Wiggles, plum wine owns. I don't have a how-to or recipe for it, but I'm sure you can find someone knowledgeable.

I know you said you made prunes, but here's an use for them. One of the go-to events in my neck of the woods is when the Czech grandmas make kolaches to sell at the town celebration. The old Czech Catholic Church is shut down (town used to have two, now it's down to Catholic house of worship). It's now run as a historical site here that opens up once a year for pastries, but if you've got any Eastern European ladies in your Parish, I'm sure they'd love if you made some apricot or prune kolaches for an after Mass social/coffee treat.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I tried my hand at distilling once. Unfortunately, it didn't turn out too well (I can still see though)! I'm assuming here that you'd go for a classic Pot Still, instead of a more complicated one. I guess if I had to point out some things I definitely did wrong and would fix for round 2 I would say:

- Use a good vessel for the boiler, preferably stainless steel or copper. A pressure cooker is a common one to use. I've heard, but couldn't verify, that aluminum does some weird things chemically to hot alcohol steam. Something with sulfur or something. I used an aluminum tea pot as my first boiler, and I think that was a mistake. It was thin, hard to clean, and not very easy to make a good seal to the condensor.
- Make sure you have a good, accurate thermometer to take the temperature of the wash you're distilling. This will help you determine when to start and end a run to some extent. I had a lovely, inaccurate thermometer that claimed my mixture was boiling at like 150 F or something when it should have been ~173 F. That really threw me off.
- Clean your condensor pipes very well before distilling. I think my liquor picked up some strange off flavors from the pipe, since it had probably been sitting around in the hardware store for a long time. I've heard multiple things on this end, from distilling some vinegar to just putting through a little bit of alcohol first to clean it. I'd say make sure your pipes are really clean before distilling, though. I still don't know of an optimal method for this.
- Make sure you have a good wash, too. Mine was full of sugars and molasses, so it probably didn't have a good flavor to it. If you're distilling plums I don't think you'll have a problem with this, though.

On the legal side, call your condensor a "wort chiller" for beer, and just disassemble the boiler back to a pressure cooker or whatever it was before. As long as the police don't see you in your backyard playing banjo and distilling liquor you're probably fine. Also don't sell it I guess?

Writing this really makes me want to get a bottle of wine and make a new boiler for my still. Home made brandy, I bet that'd be good.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

This is some good information! Very good indeed!

And yes Fluffy Bunnies there are lots of apricots too but we've had a lot of luck with making fruit leather (the process of which takes up a lot more fruit) with them. Though a run of apricot brandy isn't out of the question if I get another 50 pounds that I'm at a loss to use otherwise.

Dirty Phil
Jul 3, 2012

Walk Away posted:

Put a little cube of mozzarella in the center and mold the cold risotto/egg/breadcrumb/parmesan mixture around it. Then roll in bread crumbs and fry. I like to do these from time to time.

That looks delicious. I will have to try a few different versions. Have you tried other cheeses or do you stick with mozzarella all the time? I was thinking a little bit of a harder cheese akin to parmigiano or something.

edit: I also have an abundance of plums this year. The new place I move into has a huge plum tree out back, and they are going to be dropping pretty soon. I think some plum wine will be in order.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Those with plum surfeits should pit the plums then stew them in a bit of water, sugar and lemon juice with cinnamon, ground ginger (I suppose you could use fresh grated if you were feeling energetic), cardamom, and a few cloves. The delicious result can then be frozen and defrosted to bring a warming glow of summer into your winter kitchen. Fantastic with yoghurt or ice cream, and you could probably use it as a component in crumbles too.

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

Dirty Phil posted:

That looks delicious. I will have to try a few different versions. Have you tried other cheeses or do you stick with mozzarella all the time? I was thinking a little bit of a harder cheese akin to parmigiano or something.

edit: I also have an abundance of plums this year. The new place I move into has a huge plum tree out back, and they are going to be dropping pretty soon. I think some plum wine will be in order.

You know, I've never made it with anything other than mozz. Maybe you could get a couple of different cheeses and do a few of each to see out they turn out. I'd be interested in the results. Gruyere might be delicious.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Walk Away posted:

You know, I've never made it with anything other than mozz. Maybe you could get a couple of different cheeses and do a few of each to see out they turn out. I'd be interested in the results. Gruyere might be delicious.
Would harder denser cheeses not take longer to melt?

Dirty Phil
Jul 3, 2012

therattle posted:

Would harder denser cheeses not take longer to melt?

It would, but I was actually a little worried about softer cheeses melting too fast and making a mess of things. If the mozz works so well though, that might be less of an issue than I thought. I love cheese so testing multiple kinds shouldn't be too troublesome :mmmhmm:

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Walk Away posted:

Just shred the gruyere (or other harder cheese) first. Good breading technique will help keep the balls from exploding.

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

That's what she said.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

And yes Fluffy Bunnies there are lots of apricots too but we've had a lot of luck with making fruit leather (the process of which takes up a lot more fruit) with them. Though a run of apricot brandy isn't out of the question if I get another 50 pounds that I'm at a loss to use otherwise.

How do you make your fruit leather? I've been wanting to make some for a while.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Wroughtirony posted:

Just shred the gruyere (or other harder cheese) first. Good breading technique will help keep the balls from exploding.

So if you used bleu cheese, they could be blue balls?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Walk Away posted:

That's what she said.
pr0k's mom, I take it?

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea
When I make a stir fry, the chicken/beef always end up kinda dry. Should I coat em with a lil cornstarch to get the sauce to stick? I normally put cornstarch in the sauce itself to thicken it a little, but it doesn't help much.

Dirty Phil
Jul 3, 2012

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

If I get this recipe done good enough, blue balls won't be a problem, ever. :chord:

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Blue cheese, not bleu.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I know a good deal of serbian/croatian/bosnian and know a lot of people from down there. Back in the days, you supplied the mash - plums or other fruit mashed up with a shitload of sugar for more goody stuffs - and when it was done, a mobile distillery from the national alcohol company came on over and you specified the required amounts of this and that strength: 40 litres of regular 40%, 25 litres 60%, 5 litres "medicine" (rocket fuel), for example. Dude on the distillery hooked it up to the mash tank (like an old water cistern, for example, or whatever you had) and set to work, usually most expertly. Then he took Tito's share of it back with him, which was then sent to the national alcohol company, refined further, and mixed with other rakija of similar type and sold through the state shops. So chances are the Croatian ladies' husbands (this is a guy thing down there... "hey look, old Tadić is cookin up the still, let's bring along a sausage and head on over and check if the orahovac is any good.") had it done for them. But you might be in luck. Firing up a still with a bunch of Croatian guys around it is probably going to be a happening to remember.

Oh, and in Croatian it's šljivovica (shlyEE-voo-vitsah). Don't know if it matters, but Croatians can be irksome if they suspect you think they're actually Serbians.

Good luck my friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Wroughtirony posted:

I'd make a cheese sauce with sodium citrate and carrageenan, to be honest.