Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazy Old Clarice
Mar 5, 2007

Lefou, I'm afraid I've been eating... you.
Like Bamzilla said, baby stuff is stupid expensive. Now if you want it and can afford it, great; but personally I think a lot of people just get caught up in the consumerism. For me, $400 is *way* too expensive for a baby's dresser, especially since they don't care what it looks like. Our boy has an open shelving unit from Ikea ($20!) for his "dresser" and it holds his clothes just as well. Plastic bins with drawers sounds perfect to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
Last week was my first time seeing the OB instead of just a nurse practitioner. I let him know that I have been suffering from pelvic pain since 20 weeks, and it even caused me to leave my job. All the nurse ever did was ask if I tried a support belt. (I have and it does nothing)

I've seen posts about it from women who have gone through severe SPD like mine, and they cautioned that you need to adjust how you deliver the baby, otherwise you could suffer from permanent damage.

I brought this up to the doctor, and asked if there were ways we could avoid that risk. He basically said that chances are nothing will happen, and if I have to deliver on my back with my knees pulled all the way up, then that's what we'll do.

I'm terrified. I'm worried that they are not taking me seriously, but I don't know what to say to figure out a solution. I feel stupid going on saying I got all my information from the internet. He is the one that has been doing this forever and went to school. I just feel like either he doesn't know much about the risks I'm facing, or maybe I'm getting the wrong information and the Dr is totally right.

The SPD has been so bad that I can't even go on a walk in the park, and I can barely even go shopping some days. It almost makes me cry to bring the dog out to pee when my husband isn't home to do it. I can barely even lift my legs up to get into the car or go up stairs.

So what do I do? Is it really true that if you have severe SPD you need to alter the way you deliver? Am I really at risk for sever permanent damage to my pelvis? Or do I just trust the Dr. and go with the flow when the time comes?

Also will this make a vaginal delivery more painful or harder? I just want to know that everything will be ok. I don't want to go through with it like normal, and after the baby is born end up going back to the OB saying "I told you so, now I'm srewed up forever. Thanks for nothing."

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Wait, how long have you gone without seeing an actual OB? The way you're making it sound is that it's been well past 20 weeks without seeing a single one. Is it feasible to look for a new practice? That seems.. ridiculous. As for SPD unfortunately I can't help you out there other than "listen to your doctor and not the internet" as your doctor has physically seen you and the internet has not.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
Last week I was at 34 weeks. There was some kind of mixup and the Dr wasn't there like 4 weeks ago when I SHOULD have seem him, then they never rescheduled that appointment, they just kept me seeing the nurse practitioner in the office.

Now that I think about it the OB did less than the nurse does. He listened to the heartbeat but didn't measure my belly. I used the time seeing him to voice all my concerns and ask any questions about delivery. He didn't really do anything else physical though. All I got out of the appointment is that I shouldn't worry about complications and that my GBS test is coming up next appointment.

There is another Dr in the same office I could request to see, but these guys are constantly booked and it's hard to get appointments with them without notice. I'm on Medicaid and this Thursday I will be 35 weeks pregnant.

Oh something else I remembered. I had a miscarriage last year and experienced a mini labor with that. I had contractions and everything. I asked the Dr. if that would make this labor move any more quickly than a normal first time delivery and he said it wouldn't change anything. That was something else I had heard that he dismissed.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

The lack of time you're able to see him is .. disconcerting. I saw my OB monthly until 32 weeks, then every 2 weeks, and now every week. The nurse took my vitals but my OB asked the questions and took the baby's measurements/heart rate. I would request to see the other doctor, at least. They don't really do anything more physical than the heartrate/measuring belly until 36 weeks when they start checking your cervix. I mean, short of pee tests.

I don't know about the merits of going into labor faster if you've experienced labor before. I had contractions starting at 33 weeks with this pregnancy, but they've mostly subsided now that I'm ok to have him whenever. The little turd.

bamzilla fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jul 17, 2012

Crazy Old Clarice
Mar 5, 2007

Lefou, I'm afraid I've been eating... you.

Mnemosyne posted:

Consequently I had my c-section on June 18th, and everything went really, really well for both me and the baby. This is Wesley Ivan <Lastname>, named after my husband's grandfather and my grandfather.

Glad the little guy is doing well and that delivery wasn't too bad for either of you. Congrats on having an adorable little goon baby! He looks so small in that large expanse of crib, it made me :3

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
My crib was brought in this week and OMG. When did cribs get so goddamned big? My last baby was 10 years ago, and I certainly don't remember them being this enormous. I told my husband that if he keeps mithering me in the night I'm going to make him sleep in it. His response was "Okay, it looks more comfortable than our bed anyway."

vanessa
May 21, 2006

CAUTION: This pussy is ferocious.

Stairs posted:

My crib was brought in this week and OMG. When did cribs get so goddamned big? My last baby was 10 years ago, and I certainly don't remember them being this enormous. I told my husband that if he keeps mithering me in the night I'm going to make him sleep in it. His response was "Okay, it looks more comfortable than our bed anyway."

I think part of it is that parents these days want the big cribs that can convert to larger beds so that it grows with the baby. When my mom and I were picking out D's crib, she commented that back when she was expecting my oldest sister, you looked for something that could only be a crib and that could be disassembled/reassembled easily because then you passed it down from baby to baby.

Mr Darcy
Feb 8, 2006

Bank posted:

So I bought and read through the Baby Bargains book, and can't seem to wrap my head around something. We bought a pretty good crib for $300 after discounts and the book is recommending dressers upwards of $400. Is it just me, or is it completely crazy to spend that much on a dresser?

My wife and I just bought a couple of plastic bins with drawers, and will be changing kiddo on the playpen that has a changing area for the time being.

Coming to this one a bit late. Our crib cost £60 including two mattresses so we can air one when he inevitable pukes or spits up on it. We got a £15 cheapo set of plastic drawers for his blankets, clothes, towels and other odds and sods. As he grows we'll re-purpose it to bring a toy box and get better storage for his clothes when they need the space. Finally we used an old computer desk as the changing table, it's just the right height for us is exactly the right size for his changing mat and the pull out keyboard tray is just right for the top and tail bowl, a clean nappy and any pots of creams needed during his morning wash or when he's being changed.

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

SassySally posted:

Those are genuine concerns, so make sure you don't discount them while you do your best to reassure her that the chances of any of the major ills of the world hitting your family are very low. One of the things that sticks out in my mind as something that helped turn the tide is that after explaining to my students once why I wasn't ready for kids, one of them told me, "But you're the kind of person who should have kids. That's part of why it's like this, because people like you choose not to have kids and make good ones." That meant a lot to me.

Crazy Old Clarice posted:

I agree with the other posters, but thought you could use as many data points as possible, so here is my opinion...

My husband was the "let's have kids" half of our partnership. I wasn't interested because I never felt maternal. It took until about halfway through the pregnancy that I started getting really excited about the idea, and by the time he was born I was totally in love and even decided to become a stay-at-home mom. So it is very possible that she could change her mind about the whole thing as you two make your way through the pregnancy.

Be as supportive as you can (which it sounds like you are already doing) and have realistic expectations. My husband and I were prepared to feel "meh" about the baby at first, since many times it takes awhile for those hormones to kick in. And congrats to you both!

Thank you both for your thoughts. Yesterday she seemed much better and is showing a ton of excitement (we already went to Babies R' Us and a few other things, just to scope out our future options), and it looks like we're five weeks along.

She told me today, that she's surprised by how excited she is, so it made me really happy to hear that. I know there will be a lot of ups and downs through the process, but I think that we're on the right track.

She gave me a little bit of information yesterday that I wasn't aware of. Because of some medical issues, both of us assumed that she wouldn't be able to get pregnant (she's been told that most of her life), so she said that for many years, she's basically tried to convince herself of reasons to not have children. Even though she still has a lot of concerns, she also admitted that her expectation of being unable to get pregnant probably had a lot to do with her lack of interest in doing so.

We've been having unprotected sex for a number of years, so this was definitely a shocker to both us. I think a lot of it can be attributed to both of us working really hard to lose weight and get healthier.

Regardless, thank you guys for the advice and help. I'm sure I'll be in here a lot as I go through this process. It's so nice to hear about these types of things from people who have a fairly similar viewpoint on the world as me, rather than the creepy people in the pregnancy forums around the internet!

rangergirl
Jun 3, 2004
A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer

Acrolos posted:

Regardless, thank you guys for the advice and help. I'm sure I'll be in here a lot as I go through this process. It's so nice to hear about these types of things from people who have a fairly similar viewpoint on the world as me, rather than the creepy people in the pregnancy forums around the internet!

I just wanted to say I felt/still feel a lot like your girlfriend. I was on the pill for years and found out in January I was pregnant. My husband thought someone had died when he came home from work that day because I was laying in bed crying and wouldn't tell him what was wrong. I've never wanted kids, I'm not very good with other people's kids. Babies do nothing for me, I don't even think they're very cute. The fetal heartbeat and ultrasounds didnt give me some maternal rush or do much of anything.

I'm almost 36 weeks now so this kid is coming any day and I think I'm as ready as I'm going to be. I honestly don't want to deal with a baby or go through the toddler phase, it's going to be difficult and I know that. I guess the reason I decided to have this baby is because after all the baby/toddler needy stuff I get to see this kid who is half me/half the person I love most in this world grow up. My husband and I get to teach him cool stuff and pass on family traditions, I get to make my mother and sisters super happy.

There are a lot of people in here who didn't necessarily really want kids but kind of changed their minds. I'm not 100 percent sure my mind is even changed. I do feel a little guilty about not wanting this baby more at times, and I get anxious or depressed about it at times. The best advice I can give is just give your girlfriend time to really get used to the idea and give her lots of support. Don't expect anything...you can't force feelings that aren't there and enough people will be pushing her or expecting her to be excited. That pressure alone can really make you depressed or feel like a horrible person. Hopefully you don't have to worry about it and she genuinely enjoys the pregnancy and being a mom. Good luck!

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

rangergirl posted:

I just wanted to say I felt/still feel a lot like your girlfriend. I was on the pill for years and found out in January I was pregnant. My husband thought someone had died when he came home from work that day because I was laying in bed crying and wouldn't tell him what was wrong. I've never wanted kids, I'm not very good with other people's kids. Babies do nothing for me, I don't even think they're very cute. The fetal heartbeat and ultrasounds didnt give me some maternal rush or do much of anything.

I'm almost 36 weeks now so this kid is coming any day and I think I'm as ready as I'm going to be. I honestly don't want to deal with a baby or go through the toddler phase, it's going to be difficult and I know that. I guess the reason I decided to have this baby is because after all the baby/toddler needy stuff I get to see this kid who is half me/half the person I love most in this world grow up. My husband and I get to teach him cool stuff and pass on family traditions, I get to make my mother and sisters super happy.

There are a lot of people in here who didn't necessarily really want kids but kind of changed their minds. I'm not 100 percent sure my mind is even changed. I do feel a little guilty about not wanting this baby more at times, and I get anxious or depressed about it at times. The best advice I can give is just give your girlfriend time to really get used to the idea and give her lots of support. Don't expect anything...you can't force feelings that aren't there and enough people will be pushing her or expecting her to be excited. That pressure alone can really make you depressed or feel like a horrible person. Hopefully you don't have to worry about it and she genuinely enjoys the pregnancy and being a mom. Good luck!

I'll admit that she seems excited about the baby right now, but deep down, I'm not sure if it's a bit of a show because she is coming to terms with it. Over this whirlwind that we've been through over the past 3-4 days though, both of us seem genuinely happy, so I'm hoping it's a situation where the pregnancy changed her mind on things a little.

I've spoken with a few people over the years that have mentioned not wanting children that much, but completely changing their minds the moment they saw their child...so maybe that's what you (and possibly my fiance) will need. Feel free to stay in touch, I'd love to hear about how things go for you after the birth.

On another subject - Since we are just 5-6 weeks along at this point, my euphoria about the pregnancy has now turned into a constant fear about the possibility of a miscarriage. My fiance has had inconsistent periods throughout her life, in addition to having Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (which I've read increases the risk of miscarriage). I know that there isn't much that we can do, but it's pretty much all I can think about at this point. Our first appointment with the OB is on August 6th, so I can hope I can get a little bit of peace of mind at that point...even though I know there will still be a long time before the worrying will slow down (although I don't expect the worrying to stop anytime before I see my healthy baby).

Acrolos fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jul 19, 2012

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
Went to the ER last night. 38 weeks today, but I'm dying due to severe sciatica and I'm seriously going to lose it. My back is in horrible agony and they gave me one percocet. It worked for three hours, then nothing. My docs attitude was "take an ambien and you'll sleep it off!" No, I didn't. I took my ambien and proceeded to watch the sun rise in delerium because my back hurt so loving much that the drugs couldn't make me sleep. Finally I dozed off for an hour, only to have nightmares about back pain. Now I have a low fever and the nausea is worse and I just want to murder the next person who goes "Well, it's all part of having a baby!"

No it is not, gently caress you.

Called the on-call doc just now. She refuses to write me a perscription for anything and told me I'd have to "just ride this out" because she doesn't want me taking any painkillers if I'm about to start labor. I'm not about to start labor, last night I was only 2 cm dialated and nowhere near ready. No contractions either. GIMMEDRUGS.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011
I had severe sciatica and getting a therapeutic massage really helped. I'm not sure if that's an option for you, but you can also have the therapist hit the "go into labor" points too. :)

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

skeetied posted:

I had severe sciatica and getting a therapeutic massage really helped. I'm not sure if that's an option for you, but you can also have the therapist hit the "go into labor" points too. :)

I'm considering asking a friend of my husband's who is an accupuncturist if she can "give me a hand". I've heard they can needle these things along. But eeep I'm skeered of needles!

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

I had pretty bad SPD and ended up on crutches about midway through my pregnancy. Firstly, massive sympathies, because it hurts like a bitch and there's not much you can do except rest.

Are you seeing a physiotherapist? The benefits aren't massive, but mine taught me a few exercises and tricks to ease the pain. Basically, keeping your legs shut as much as possible, don't balance on one leg etc. Stairs are a bastard. Do you have anywhere you can sleep downstairs if it gets worse?

As for the birth... Some people have suggested that SPD can make your labour easier. Yeah, it could be a load of poo poo, but your body is producing too much Relaxin, and this could speed things up. Anecdotally, my boy came out in under 2 hours.

I don't know what the local advice is, but in the UK they're very much against women giving birth on their backs. Apparently this can slow things down. Personally, I stood up and leant on the bed while I pushed. It's not the most comfortable thing, but that was the least of my worries anyway! Hands and knees or a birthing ball position could work too.

The only real problem was when I had to get stitched up afterwards. I had to make sure the midwife didn't pull the stirrups too far apart, and because my tear was in a weird place, it got pretty uncomfortable for a while. She suggested I could lay on my side with a pillow between my knees while they sticthed me, but that seemed a bit awkward.

Also, it's a UK site, but http://www.pelvicpartnership.org.uk/ is a useful resource with lots of practical tips for pregnancy and birth.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
Thank you for the information. Fortunately I don't have any stairs at home, it's just frustrating when I do run across any. I haven't had any appointments aside from my regular OB/nurse visits. We can't really afford anything out of the ordinary and I can't imagine the nurse would refer me, and it takes weeks to get an appointment with the OB who didn't think I was going through anything abnormal anyways.

When I go to the hospital I'm going to stress that I'd like to try alternative positions. I'd prefer to use a tub, but I don't know if my OB does that and I forgot to ask. If I do have to labor on my back I'm going to insist my legs don't get pulled all the way apart. Unfortunately I have some big thighs so I don't even know about that working. I guess we'll see.

Aside from that I don't even really have a major birth plan or anything, but I have been worrying about nurses here not knowing how to care for an uncircumcised baby. I'm considering bringing a marker to write on all his diapers not to pull back the foreskin, but that sounds kind of obnoxious on my part. I have read a lot of stories about it getting pulled back because the nurses thought that's how you clean it though so I'm freaked out!

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

My mom is really stressing me out. Is there any good advice on dealing with "grandmas to be"? I had long crying filled (on her end) conversation about our relationship and the baby. For the record I'm married in a good relationship, my husband and I have decent incomes and a stable happy life and I'll be turning 30 before the kid is born so its not like I'm a struggling 16 year old or something.

My mom still views me as a teenager or a child and it puts a huge strain on our relationship. I don't really feel like she respects my marriage as much as she should. She likes my husband, but she doesn't act like my family (me, husband, baby to come) is my priority family and my family ties with her are more important. (If that makes any sense) She was going on about how family has to talk things out and compromise and I told her when it comes to my family, I'm not going to compromise if its something I don't want. She got bent out of shape saying she was my family. We live about a 12 hour drive apart.

The big fight was over when the baby is born. At first she wanted to be here before, during, and after. I told her no. Now she's saying she wants to come right directly after and take care of me and the baby. I'm due at the end of November and I told her she can come visit for Christmas. My husband and I really don't want any visitors right after the baby is born. He has a light work schedule and will be home most of the time and depending exactly when the baby is born, he'll be on winter break from work and home anyway. We want time to bond with the baby and have our own family time. My mom really stresses me the gently caress out when she visits. I'm also worried she won't ever leave.

I don't know how to deal with her. She has had severe, chronic depression for a long time. (I've been aware of it since I was in middle school, but it could have been there earlier). I can't really talk to her like a rational adult. She starts crying and starts saying things like "You just don't love me anymore!" and other bullshit. She also told me the lovely line before I hung up today "When you become a mother, you'll understand!"

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

Alterian posted:

My mom is really stressing me out. Is there any good advice on dealing with "grandmas to be"? I had long crying filled (on her end) conversation about our relationship and the baby. For the record I'm married in a good relationship, my husband and I have decent incomes and a stable happy life and I'll be turning 30 before the kid is born so its not like I'm a struggling 16 year old or something.

My mom still views me as a teenager or a child and it puts a huge strain on our relationship. I don't really feel like she respects my marriage as much as she should. She likes my husband, but she doesn't act like my family (me, husband, baby to come) is my priority family and my family ties with her are more important. (If that makes any sense) She was going on about how family has to talk things out and compromise and I told her when it comes to my family, I'm not going to compromise if its something I don't want. She got bent out of shape saying she was my family. We live about a 12 hour drive apart.

The big fight was over when the baby is born. At first she wanted to be here before, during, and after. I told her no. Now she's saying she wants to come right directly after and take care of me and the baby. I'm due at the end of November and I told her she can come visit for Christmas. My husband and I really don't want any visitors right after the baby is born. He has a light work schedule and will be home most of the time and depending exactly when the baby is born, he'll be on winter break from work and home anyway. We want time to bond with the baby and have our own family time. My mom really stresses me the gently caress out when she visits. I'm also worried she won't ever leave.

I don't know how to deal with her. She has had severe, chronic depression for a long time. (I've been aware of it since I was in middle school, but it could have been there earlier). I can't really talk to her like a rational adult. She starts crying and starts saying things like "You just don't love me anymore!" and other bullshit. She also told me the lovely line before I hung up today "When you become a mother, you'll understand!"

You gotta hold your ground, and it sounds like you already know it's the right thing to do. I would practice some talking points, and just repeat yourself as is necessary. "Mom, I've thought this through, and this is what we need as a family. This is my decision, and it's not up for negotiation right now." You also need to be prepared to nicely (or not-so-nicely) hang up on her when she gets on a ridiculous crying/guilt jag on the phone again. "Mom, this isn't productive, and I'll talk to you later when you're more calm." Personally, I think Christmas is a good date, and a reasonable one. I had my kid in mid-November, and it was just my husband and I until a mid-December visit from my mom. Other than a lactation consultant, we didn't need any outside help, and we managed just fine. You might have a more difficult newborn, but it really doesn't sound like your mom would be much help anyway.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

netally posted:

I don't know what the local advice is, but in the UK they're very much against women giving birth on their backs. Apparently this can slow things down.

That depends where you are, I gave birth in Glasgow (Scotland) and was strapped to the bed and told I couldn't move even though I was sobbing my eyes out because it hurt lying on my back so much.

Mr Darcy
Feb 8, 2006

netally posted:

I don't know what the local advice is, but in the UK they're very much against women giving birth on their backs. Apparently this can slow things down. Personally, I stood up and leant on the bed while I pushed. It's not the most comfortable thing, but that was the least of my worries anyway! Hands and knees or a birthing ball position could work too.

Respectfully, bullshit. We let mums give birth however they feel comfy. Mrs D. gave birth on her back about a month ago here in the UK, I know people who've done it standing up, on all fours or whatever.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

It likely depends on if you have an epidural or not. Good luck giving birth in any position but on your back with one.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

My wife had an epidural and since she wasn't progressing, they actually let her flip onto her hands and knees on the bed, and then lowered the knee portion down a little bit. They were pretty cautious about it, of course, and that she could do so at all was also thanks to an awesome job by the anesthesiologist at killing the pain but not completely disabling her, and it didn't actually get the baby out (we eventually had to go to a c-section) but it can happen...sometimes.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011
I had an epidural and gave birth in a supported squat, but I also didn't want to be completely numb and had a great anesthesiologist who knew how to make that work.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Yea, I was completely numb from the waist down and couldn't even walk until around 15-20 minutes after I gave birth. YMMV :) I only pushed for an hour and she was out.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
My epidural made my right leg completely numb but everywhere else had feeling. My husband had to hold my dead leg up so I could push. I couldn't pee afterward and asked for a catheter because I could feel how full my bladder was and couldn't do anything about it. Weirdest feeling ever!

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
It was the fetal heart rate monitor that was the problem for me, they said they needed to have a reading for at least 30 minutes before they would take me to the labour room. Connor popped out ten minutes after they said that, he was nearly born in the lift. They did give me two paracetamol though.

I wish I'd had the confidence to tell them all to gently caress off and actually look at my vagina.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Twatty Seahag posted:

My epidural made my right leg completely numb but everywhere else had feeling. My husband had to hold my dead leg up so I could push. I couldn't pee afterward and asked for a catheter because I could feel how full my bladder was and couldn't do anything about it. Weirdest feeling ever!

haha I had that too. My husband on one leg and a nurse on the other. And of course the catheter.

Seizure Sloth
Dec 28, 2006

The electroshock seizure of the sloth consists of weak extension followed by tonic flexion and terminal clonus.
I have a question regarding the positioning of my baby. I am 34 weeks and 4 days in and my daughter has been in the transverse position for quite some time. I know at some point, she needs to be head down and I'm wondering if I should be concerned she hasn't moved into place yet. I would much prefer not to have a cesarean section and really wish to deliver naturally. I am seeing my midwife later on this coming week and will talk with her more about the scenario and if there's anything we can do. Has anyone else had problems with this or is my little girl just too comfortable with where she's at?

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Seizure Sloth posted:

I have a question regarding the positioning of my baby. I am 34 weeks and 4 days in and my daughter has been in the transverse position for quite some time. I know at some point, she needs to be head down and I'm wondering if I should be concerned she hasn't moved into place yet. I would much prefer not to have a cesarean section and really wish to deliver naturally. I am seeing my midwife later on this coming week and will talk with her more about the scenario and if there's anything we can do. Has anyone else had problems with this or is my little girl just too comfortable with where she's at?

There are things you can do to try and get them to flip - also things your midwife can help you with. 34 weeks still allows room for them to turn, too.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

No kidding, ours was positioned ready to come out for weeks prior to the due date, and within the last few days she decided to flip back over and cause trouble.

Seizure Sloth
Dec 28, 2006

The electroshock seizure of the sloth consists of weak extension followed by tonic flexion and terminal clonus.

bamzilla posted:

There are things you can do to try and get them to flip - also things your midwife can help you with. 34 weeks still allows room for them to turn, too.

Thanks, I'll try not to worry about it right now then. After this week, I will be hitting my weekly appointments so at least we can keep a closer eye on what the kiddo plans on doing in there. She is out first so we're insanely excited that the end of the pregnancy is almost here and we can finally meet her!

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

Seizure Sloth posted:

You've got time - at 34 weeks, there should still be plenty of room for her to flip around. Spinningbabies.com is a great resource for baby positioning stuff.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum

Bad Munki posted:

No kidding, ours was positioned ready to come out for weeks prior to the due date, and within the last few days she decided to flip back over and cause trouble.

People keep telling me this, and it scares me. I'm at 35 weeks and my baby has been head down for months.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Meh, don't sweat it. If there's nothing wrong now, there's nothing wrong. Worry about things that can go wrong when you need to, you've got plenty of other things to concern yourself with. :shobon:

rangergirl
Jun 3, 2004
A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer
My husband and I ended up at the ER last night when I woke up at 2 a.m to serious, acute back pain and nausea. I havent had any back pain this whole pregnancy so the severity and the suddeness is what made us go in. Everything was fine when we got there, no idea what the back pain was about BUT my cervix is "interesting" according to the OB. It's 100% effaced, the doctor said she wouldn't be surprised at all if I had been in labor. Now I'm freaking out because I'm not quite 36 weeks and I havent' had a pelvic since my first OB appointment so I'm not sure how long it's been like this. I haven't had any contractions or bleeding or any other signs of labor. I forgot to ask how long your cervix can stay effaced like this before the baby is born (it was 4 in the morning and I wanted to go home). I have my regular weekly appt. on Tuesday so I can talk to my OB then but I'm still not sure exactly what this effacement business really means in terms of how soon the baby will be here.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

rangergirl posted:

My husband and I ended up at the ER last night when I woke up at 2 a.m to serious, acute back pain and nausea. I havent had any back pain this whole pregnancy so the severity and the suddeness is what made us go in. Everything was fine when we got there, no idea what the back pain was about BUT my cervix is "interesting" according to the OB. It's 100% effaced, the doctor said she wouldn't be surprised at all if I had been in labor. Now I'm freaking out because I'm not quite 36 weeks and I havent' had a pelvic since my first OB appointment so I'm not sure how long it's been like this. I haven't had any contractions or bleeding or any other signs of labor. I forgot to ask how long your cervix can stay effaced like this before the baby is born (it was 4 in the morning and I wanted to go home). I have my regular weekly appt. on Tuesday so I can talk to my OB then but I'm still not sure exactly what this effacement business really means in terms of how soon the baby will be here.

quote:

How is effacement measured?
Effacement is measured in percentages. For example, your health care provider may tell you that you are effaced 50%, which means you are half way to being completely effaced. When you are 100% effaced or completely effaced, your cervix is paper-thin and labor is right around the corner.

If it makes you feel any better I was actually in L&D Thursday night with painful contractions. I was 3cm dilated and they could feel the baby's head when checking my cervix which was "soft". I ended up being sent home because I didn't dilate any further in the 3 hours I was there for monitoring. I've actually been having preterm labor issues and dilated since 33 weeks. This pregnancy has sucked. ;(

bamzilla fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jul 22, 2012

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

bamzilla posted:

If it makes you feel any better I was actually in L&D Thursday night with painful contractions. I was 3cm dilated and they could feel the baby's head when checking my cervix which was "soft". I ended up being sent home because I didn't dilate any further in the 3 hours I was there for monitoring.

As of today I'm 4cm, soft and having bloody show.

Wanna race? :cheeky:

What sucks of course is I'll probably now linger until August since I've run my stupid mouth. UGH summer pregnancy.

Stairs fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jul 22, 2012

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Stairs posted:

As of today I'm 4cm, soft and having bloody show.

Wanna race? :cheeky:

No, but I will say I'm definitely having this baby August 1st since I'm being induced ;) I had a little bit of show the other day, but nothing major.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

Mnemosyne posted:

I came back in a few weeks ago to post about breastfeeding woes but hadn't had time to make my "Yay, this baby is finally out of me!" post, so here it is, 4 weeks late.

I had a c-section scheduled for June 25th, but on the 15th they diagnosed me with Intrahepatic Cholestasis of Pregnancy (which people hilariously refer to by the acronym ICP), and I was already 38 weeks, so we moved the c-section up because the risks of Cholestasis are a big deal, and the medicine they had given me to try to control it was making me really sick. Consequently I had my c-section on June 18th, and everything went really, really well for both me and the baby. This is Wesley Ivan <Lastname>, named after my husband's grandfather and my grandfather. 6lbs 10oz and 19 inches long, which is sort of funny because that's exactly my weight and measurements at birth. I took this photo the day we came home from the hospital since I wasn't really in any shape to be taking photos at the hospital.

Despite the fact that I had had the Cholestasis for at least 4 weeks before it was diagnosed, he suffered no ill effects from it. Apparently there's a good chance that it destroyed my gallbladder though, so I'm looking at more surgery sometime soon. The c-section recovery isn't a barrel of laughs, but it's not nearly as bad as a lot of people tried to tell me it was going to be (the instructor at my childbirth education classes said that I wouldn't be able to leave the house for at least 3-4 weeks, and some people tried to tell me that I wouldn't even be able to pick up the baby for a few weeks). Between the c-section recovery and breastfeeding, breastfeeding is worse/harder.

Things improved on the breastfeeding front for me after a little while, thanks in part to getting a prescription for some All Purpose Nipple Ointment. Unfortunately, my little guy managed to crack a nipple, and a week later I have some kind of infection in the milk duct on that side. The doctors are calling it thrush (intraductal thrush), though I understand the jury is out on whether these things are actually thrush or if they're some kind of Staph. After whatever ductal infection it is took hold, things have been going downhill, and I'm seriously thinking of giving up and just going over to formula. It seems that thrush, especially thrush that's inside you and not just on your nipples is really hard to get rid of, and having a new baby and trying to do all the things that are required to get rid of this infection just seems impossible. I've been doing it for 4 days, and I don't know how long I can keep it up.

Congratulations on the baby! He is adorable and I love the name.

On the breastfeeding front, the best advice I can give you is to draw a line in your mind. Breastfeeding is best, as they say, but sometimes the stress can be so overwhelming that it makes things harder on you and then it's hard on the baby. For myself, I tried to breastfeed for seven weeks before giving up. I went to La Leche League meetings, I had an lactation consultant come over and I went to a lactation class at a hospital. I read everything I could get my hands on about it. I went to my doctor, everything. I beat myself up out of guilt that breastfeeding was difficult and stressful and painful. It seemed like it should have been so easy! And almost all the material I read would say if it's painful, it's your fault because you're not getting the baby latched right! I heard stories from countless women about how it was difficult but they just pushed through and now it's amazing. One woman at a LLL meeting talked about how every breastfeeding was excruciating to the point where she'd punch walls afterward and couldn't even wear a shirt because her breasts were so sore, but she kept at it and her baby was 6 months at this point. Also, I ended up with thrush and so did my wee one.

My point is, you're going to hear people tell you to keep going. You're going to hear people tell you to give up. But ultimately it is a personal decision and one that you will not come to lightly, I'm sure.

Draw a line in the sand and if it gets crossed, then stop. Sit down and think about what you are willing to do, what you are willing to go through, and how much pain you're willing to deal with. Once you have that line in your head, do everything you feel you can to keep working on breastfeeding but if it ever goes over your own personal line, STOP. There is no sense in driving yourself insane over this. I had to learn this the very hard way.

The good news is, once I stopped breast feeding, there was a marked change in my little guy. He was happier. Feedings were joyous and could really be used for bonding where as before they were full of screaming and crying and frustration. I think we bonded so much afterward. I cherish feedings now, where as when I was breastfeeding, I dreaded them.

Anyhow, that's my two cents. Whatever you do, I hope it brings you and your little guy much health and happiness! Good luck.

Bodnoirbabe fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jul 23, 2012