Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

OneEightHundred posted:

IO-less pure .NET MPEG demuxer/decoder library. :toot:

What does this even mean?
(Genuinely curious)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

avidal
May 19, 2006
bawl-some

Manslaughter posted:

May not look like much, but this is a CRM page in IE, specifically an Account. Here there is a tab that retrieves Invoice data for the Account from the GP server. Clicking the invoice name attempts to grab the actual invoice itself from the Sharepoint server. Dull but I felt pretty good when it all magically worked.

Ooh, someone else that has to wrangle data out of GP. :hfive:

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Tres Burritos posted:

What does this even mean?
(Genuinely curious)
It's a library for decoding MPEG video/audio files.

Demuxer = Can handle streams containing both audio and video. IO-less means that it doesn't do any file reads, you just feed it in bytes and it decodes when it thinks it has enough data, so it works in scenarios where you don't want blocking reads. Pure .NET = no unsafe code = You can use it pretty much anywhere you can use .NET.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

OneEightHundred posted:

It's a library for decoding MPEG video/audio files.

Demuxer = Can handle streams containing both audio and video. IO-less means that it doesn't do any file reads, you just feed it in bytes and it decodes when it thinks it has enough data, so it works in scenarios where you don't want blocking reads. Pure .NET = no unsafe code = You can use it pretty much anywhere you can use .NET.

That is drat impressive. Open source? I would love to see how you put that together.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Yes.

It's a port of mpeg_play. MPEG-1 isn't actually that complicated. If you want to get started with multimedia, write a JPEG decoder. It's a very good use of your time, as you'll learn a lot.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
That's the C++ version, the .NET version is on a different project page. It's also probably more readable, a lot of stuff was cleaned up during the port.

It's actually more a port of smpeg, which is kind of an "enhanced" port of mpeg_play (video) and splay (audio). The demuxer is new code and a lot of things under the hood changed too, i.e. the audio decoder bitstream IO was overhauled, the audio decoder was changed to use fixed-point integer math, and a lot of things in the video decoder were changed to make it guarantee that it returns within a finite amount of input data.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jul 19, 2012

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

See that 'div' that is the QuickClick menu and the mention of auto-login? That's one product of my Chrome extension for my University's Moodle installation. In normal use, you would have to click about three or four times and you would be logged out about every 4 or 6 hours. This is highly annoying to say the least. Thanks to the magic of jQuery, I was able to whip something up in record time to automatically log me in with the built-in autofill and cache the current courses that the user was taking for placement on the very front of the website for easy one-click access. Admittedly, I wrote it as kind of a hack but it works very well for me!

Yay for Chrome extensions and jQuery! I highly recommend to anyone here that if a site is annoying you in layout or is almost perfect but not quite that you learn a bit of jQuery and Chrome extension errata and make life easier for yourself especially if you have to use a site everyday for many years and months to come.

crazysim fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jul 19, 2012

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Geez, UCSB should really redesign that..

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
It's been entirely too long since I posted anything of arguable on-topic worth here, and I've been upset at myself about that, so I crapped this out just now. It's horribly broken at the moment, but hey, I've got something on screen! (For me, this is progress on this particular personal "spare time" project...)

:woop:

bike appreciator
Mar 19, 2011

mnd posted:

It's been entirely too long since I posted anything of arguable on-topic worth here, and I've been upset at myself about that, so I crapped this out just now. It's horribly broken at the moment, but hey, I've got something on screen! (For me, this is progress on this particular personal "spare time" project...)

What's it going to be?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Ska-based bullet hell shooter.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

krnhotwings posted:

Geez, UCSB should really redesign that..

It's Moodle like how this forum is Vbulletin. Hacks here and there like many other PHP applications in production. It's not bad, fairly alright, and they are responsive to suggestions from users. It's just that I'm wary of why they haven't bothered to increase the timeout in all these years so I was guessing there was some crazy bureaucracy for increasing that (from my experiences in another department at UCSB regarding the single-sign-on system in place). Anyway, I'm not going to wait for the email that says "Sorry, we won't implement this because of X and Y and REQ." or an even worse "k i got it, acknowledged". Screw that, I'm writing some Javascript! Here's a nail, and I'm going to hammer it down with my hammer.

If they fix the problems, it's a quick matter of nullifying the part of the extension that does that thing and putting an update onto the web store. I :love: the auto-update functionality in Chrome.

crazysim fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jul 20, 2012

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS
This is a pet project of mine, a queueing system that orders jobs based on the size of the job and the value the other person places on their time; small jobs get done first and folk who value their time highly get served first. It also calculates an "average" time people will spend waiting, so that people who wait less than the average get charged for the time they save while people who wait longer get paid for their patience. In theory the system pays for itself because the amount paid in matches the amount paid out, though in the screenshot it's off by a penny due to rounding errors.

The theory behind this was originally intended for clinics, post offices, the DMV, places where people queue for service, but I like the idea of using it for corporate internal tasks. Your coworker's less likely to insist you prioritize some useless thing for him if you tell him it'll be :10bux: up front for the privilege.

Still need to fix the sorting problems so everything is in the order I think they should be.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

This project is really twisting my brain. Right now I'm working on getting collision detection to work, as well as making it work with the animation system and physics.
My "PlatformerEntity" class is starting to become a state-machine as I add more and more bools for checks such as: moving, flying, being midair, idling, falling, etc.
Perhaps I should just embrace the state and make it have a single state at a time with a tied-in animation and physics calculation. :shrug:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Your Computer posted:

Perhaps I should just embrace the state and make it have a single state at a time with a tied-in animation and physics calculation. :shrug:

That's the usual thing to do.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
Here's a video of my game running. Youtube kinda made it look ugly, but you get the idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM_SeJdUzC0

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mug posted:

Youtube kinda made it look ugly, but you get the idea.
Actually, it looks pretty fantastic :ssh:

Suspicious Dish posted:

That's the usual thing to do.
This comment made me think for a moment.. Why haven't I done this sooner? This is brilliant!

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Your Computer posted:

Actually, it looks pretty fantastic :ssh:

Hey thanks, I just meant Youtube kinda drops the sharp pixel edges.

Anyway, back to work.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Mug posted:

Here's a video of my game running. Youtube kinda made it look ugly, but you get the idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM_SeJdUzC0

It's like Syndicate meets Habbo Hotel

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer

crazysim posted:

It's Moodle like how this forum is Vbulletin. Hacks here and there like many other PHP applications in production. It's not bad, fairly alright, and they are responsive to suggestions from users. It's just that I'm wary of why they haven't bothered to increase the timeout in all these years so I was guessing there was some crazy bureaucracy for increasing that (from my experiences in another department at UCSB regarding the single-sign-on system in place).
I can't imagine why they couldn't change the timeout. It sounds odd to me 'cause my department at UCSD uses Moodle as well, but I've never had such problems in my years of using it.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
I was experimenting with butt cheeks on my pixel dudes, but the general response was "too much." It turned out kinda cute, but the aesthetic is all about clean minimalism.

(they did fit properly beneath the coat, though - would have worked fine)

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008

Shalinor posted:

I was experimenting with butt cheeks on my pixel dudes, but the general response was "too much." It turned out kinda cute, but the aesthetic is all about clean minimalism.

(they did fit properly beneath the coat, though - would have worked fine)

In what instances would the players ever see the butt-cheeks? If only end-users understood the level of thought and effort that went into these kinds of things.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Modern Pragmatist posted:

In what instances would the players ever see the butt-cheeks? If only end-users understood the level of thought and effort that went into these kinds of things.
In this case? None. It really only matters for future-proofing the rig for use in a clothing-swapping RPG-esque game, to allow for "nudity"... but if and when I get there, I can just make a new box with eyes and add butt-cheeks.

... which is why I took them out. If I added butt-cheeks, I'd start manufacturing gameplay circumstances to make use of the butt-cheeks. For such scenes to work, they'd need to develop naturally, not be something I forced in because my asset happened to have an under-utilized feature.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jul 22, 2012

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Good pun there.

musclecoder
Oct 23, 2006

I'm all about meeting girls. I'm all about meeting guys.
I just launched my first startup/product - Accthub.

Basically, it's a backend platform for your mobile app. If you're building an app and don't want to build, secure, and manage a backend platform, you could use Accthub to handle all of that.

As a user registers on your app, you can use our API to store their information, and then add more information about them as they use your app more.

Anyway, it's consumed most of my free time in the last 3 months and I would appreciate any honest feedback you have. Thank you!

(hopefully that didn't come off as too spammy or salesy)

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.
One immediate thing that pops out is your tagline - "Take the worry of having to build, scale, and maintain your mobile application's backend platform" doesn't make any sense.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I guess it would make more sense to me if you just said up front that it is a hosted data store with a REST endpoint. Unless it does something different.

musclecoder
Oct 23, 2006

PDP-1 posted:

One immediate thing that pops out is your tagline - "Take the worry of having to build, scale, and maintain your mobile application's backend platform" doesn't make any sense.

akadajet posted:

I guess it would make more sense to me if you just said up front that it is a hosted data store with a REST endpoint. Unless it does something different.

Yeah, I see that makes sense. I'll toy around with some sentences and see if I can come up with something better.

Maybe something along the lines of "Accthub is a managed REST API for storing your mobile application's users and data."

That's about exactly what it is, I need to finesse it a bit. Thanks for the input, PDP-1 and akadajet.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

musclecoder posted:

Yeah, I see that makes sense. I'll toy around with some sentences and see if I can come up with something better.

Maybe something along the lines of "Accthub is a managed REST API for storing your mobile application's users and data."

That's about exactly what it is, I need to finesse it a bit. Thanks for the input, PDP-1 and akadajet.

I took PDP-1's point as the current tagline making no grammatical sense. It should say "Take the worry out of having to build, scale, and maintain your mobile application's backend platform"

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

musclecoder posted:

I dunno whose thesis you've been reading, but that isn't a REST api. :3:

musclecoder
Oct 23, 2006

prolecat posted:

I took PDP-1's point as the current tagline making no grammatical sense. It should say "Take the worry out of having to build, scale, and maintain your mobile application's backend platform"

Yes, others pointed this out as well. I changed it to "Take care of the worry of having to build, scale, secure, and maintain your mobile application's backend platform." But I don't like that, I'll use out instead.

tef posted:

I dunno whose thesis you've been reading, but that isn't a REST api.

Granted I haven't read all of Roy Fielding's thesis and everything in the API doesn't conform to every tenet of REST, what major things am I missing?

I have resources, I use HTTP verbs (POST, PUT, DELETE, GET, no PATCH or OPTIONS), I use correct HTTP status codes for client and server errors and successes, and I the responses it delivers are hypertext (or hypermedia) by providing links to other consumable resources (or themselves, at the very least).

Is there something else I'm missing?

Edit: Yes, it's true I only support JSON as a response content type, but I'm working on adding XML and HTML even for real content negotiation.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

musclecoder posted:

the responses it delivers are hypertext (or hypermedia) by providing links to other consumable resources (or themselves, at the very least).

Didn't see any examples of this from the api I saw. I saw a bunch of instructions on how to manufacture URLS for requests. :3: I am happy to be wrong

tef fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jul 22, 2012

musclecoder
Oct 23, 2006

tef posted:

Didn't see any examples of this from the api I saw. I saw a bunch of instructions on how to manufacture URLS for requests. :3:

Oh, if you were just looking at the samples on the homepage, that was an idea I pretty much took entirely from Stripe to show we're really geared toward developers.

Here's some of the docs: https://accthub.com/developers/accounts

Granted, it's not the most pure RESTful API in existence, but I did do my best to make it cover what was pointed out in Martin Fowler's article above. I do plan on making it better over time, of course.

Edit: I'll also read that Martin Fowler article in more depth tonight.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

accthub posted:

Accthub currently does not use Redis for anything, we're just such huge fans of the software we're going to figure out a way to get it into our stack.

uh oh

musclecoder
Oct 23, 2006

:) Will most likely be using Resque when I add the ability to save files to user's accounts.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

musclecoder posted:

Oh, if you were just looking at the samples on the homepage, that was an idea I pretty much took entirely from Stripe to show we're really geared toward developers.

On a semi-unrelated note, anyone know of anything like Stripe that is available in Australia? Some way down the track I'll be needing to accept payments from people through my project and I'm not sure where to start - would appreciate some first-hand impressions if anyone has anything to offer?

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

musclecoder posted:

From your FAQ: "This question has been asked a lot frequently". Isn't that what usually happens with questions that are asked a lot?

Also, I don't think you should talk about "getting acquired" at all, btw. The primary focus of that page is to explain what your site does and to be frank I've read it a few times now and I'm still a bit confused as what the hell it is your doing. What I can see it seems to be account management and I'm not sure why I would want to use accthub to do that. What's the added value for me?

musclecoder
Oct 23, 2006

Sagacity posted:

From your FAQ: "This question has been asked a lot frequently". Isn't that what usually happens with questions that are asked a lot?

Also, I don't think you should talk about "getting acquired" at all, btw. The primary focus of that page is to explain what your site does and to be frank I've read it a few times now and I'm still a bit confused as what the hell it is your doing. What I can see it seems to be account management and I'm not sure why I would want to use accthub to do that. What's the added value for me?

I'm conflicted about talking about getting acquired. I want to give people the peace of mind that they can use our platform to build their app on top of without feeling like we'll just close up shop with little warning (see the recent Sparrow hullabaloo as an example).

You bring up a good point though, the homepage copy and tour copy has to be a lot tighter.

Basically, the idea is this: say you're building a mobile app that requires users to register and you need to store their data in a central server (a fitness tracking app might be a perfect example). You could write all of that backend code yourself to support that (user registration, authentication, storing data about the user, addresses) or you could use Accthub to handle all of that while you focus on building the actual app (we need to get iOS and Android SDKs out ASAP, I'm aware).

If anyone here is a mobile app developer, is that something that would be of interest?

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

musclecoder posted:

(see the recent Sparrow hullabaloo as an example).

Most of these high-profile acquisitions are still flukes, and I think they typically happen when you have a larger userbase than you currently have. I see where you're coming from, but I feel that your homepage copy *at this point* should not be deviating from the main point: Selling your product.

musclecoder posted:

Basically, the idea is this: say you're building a mobile app that requires users to register and you need to store their data in a central server (a fitness tracking app might be a perfect example).
Okay, maybe add that as an example to your homepage. Also, I think you should probably play up the concept of "Account Attributes" some more. Because these attributes turn your Account Management API into a more general User Information API. For your fitness tracking app you could store data for the user's best lap times and that kind of thing.

Otherwise it might seem that Accthub is *just* for account management and nothing else and quite frankly every app developer is going to want to store more than just general account data of people (otherwise, what's the point of having accounts in the first place)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

musclecoder
Oct 23, 2006

Sagacity posted:

Most of these high-profile acquisitions are still flukes, and I think they typically happen when you have a larger userbase than you currently have. I see where you're coming from, but I feel that your homepage copy *at this point* should not be deviating from the main point: Selling your product.

Okay, maybe add that as an example to your homepage. Also, I think you should probably play up the concept of "Account Attributes" some more. Because these attributes turn your Account Management API into a more general User Information API. For your fitness tracking app you could store data for the user's best lap times and that kind of thing.

Otherwise it might seem that Accthub is *just* for account management and nothing else and quite frankly every app developer is going to want to store more than just general account data of people (otherwise, what's the point of having accounts in the first place)?

Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it. Thinking more about it now, yeah I should probably strike the acquisition stuff. To be honest, I really have no idea what I would do if some big company came knocking with a boatload of money.

I'll be playing that up a lot with the account attributes, will work on being able to query against them, store JSON/XML in there, and store files associated with an account. Thanks again!