Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

ACEofsnett posted:

In the midst of dual engine discussion, this really isn't getting enough love. Simply amazing. Was it an aftermarket timing belt? If it was a big name manufacturer, you should submit this to them as a testimonial.

It was a Gates timing belt, Gates seems to have the best reliability and least failures, at least for the TDIs.

I may send them the picture, that timing belt hung on for dear life and saved my little 1.9l Turbodiesel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

CommieGIR posted:

It was a Gates timing belt, Gates seems to have the best reliability and least failures, at least for the TDIs.

I may send them the picture, that timing belt hung on for dear life and saved my little 1.9l Turbodiesel.

Truly it was the best mode of horrible mechanical failure. It pulled a Casey Jones for you.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I too have had a harmonic balancer separate. Makes for a weird noise.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
It's more embarrassing when it happens at the drag-strip on your burnout :( The outer ring rolled down the track, and I imagined it was saying "I just want to be free".

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

CommieGIR posted:

Any pictures of the car otherwise? I'm intrigued by a $600 TDI.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Sponge! posted:

Truly it was the best mode of horrible mechanical failure. It pulled a Casey Jones for you.

It was, but at 12:30AM on the 75 South, all you can think is "drat it, there goes my valves."

Thankfully, the next day after ripping out all the shreds of timing belt and timing belt cover, and putting my spare timing belt on (also Gates) and cranking it for 30 seconds, she fired up just like normal.

BlackMK4 posted:

Any pictures of the car otherwise? I'm intrigued by a $600 TDI.

I bought it for $600, had a siezed engine (#2 cylinder hydrolocked on oil, bad piston rings)

Towed it home from Denver, tored apart the engine and put in new piston rings and connecting rod, started like nothing ever happened. Has a bad intake valve, so at idle it lopes, but at speed it moves quickly, especially now that I've put in Euro spec injectors.

I'll get more pictures later, I had a rebuild thread in the forums somewhere.

Devyl posted:

It's more embarrassing when it happens at the drag-strip on your burnout :( The outer ring rolled down the track, and I imagined it was saying "I just want to be free".

More like "I'm outa here, losers!"

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jul 20, 2012

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Last week a lady came into our shop, bought an alternator and her friend put it on away from our shop. Several days later she came back and demanded a replacement, because that one had stopped charging. Ok, no big deal, failures happen, we gave her a warranty replacement and she went on her way and had the same dude install it. She showed up today saying that this one had failed too. Our service manager thought this sounded fishy had her leave the car and was going to have me pull the replacement replacement alternator and test it, but I got as fat as loosening it before I realized that the belt looked like this:

I put on a new belt and lo and behold, the alternator works. Just for shits, we threw her returned alternator on the test stand, and it worked perfectly too. Protip: If you have your shadetree mechanic friends work on your car...don't expect poo poo to work properly all the time, especially if they're imcompetent.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Lord Gaga posted:

A bearing in the tube lock up or was it a control arm twisting it?

I've no idea, I'll ask dad when I get the chance. All I recall is that it let go as she was driving along and dad had to go pick everything up.

Amusingly, it was as she was taking the car to go get a new interior upholstered.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

stevobob posted:

Last week a lady came into our shop, bought an alternator and her friend put it on away from our shop. Several days later she came back and demanded a replacement, because that one had stopped charging. Ok, no big deal, failures happen, we gave her a warranty replacement and she went on her way and had the same dude install it. She showed up today saying that this one had failed too. Our service manager thought this sounded fishy had her leave the car and was going to have me pull the replacement replacement alternator and test it, but I got as fat as loosening it before I realized that the belt looked like this:

I put on a new belt and lo and behold, the alternator works. Just for shits, we threw her returned alternator on the test stand, and it worked perfectly too. Protip: If you have your shadetree mechanic friends work on your car...don't expect poo poo to work properly all the time, especially if they're imcompetent.

The real question is did her ORIGINAL alternator work fine too? Did she return it for core credit? Do you still... have it? If so you should totally test it.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Sponge! posted:

The real question is did her ORIGINAL alternator work fine too? Did she return it for core credit? Do you still... have it? If so you should totally test it.

We don't have her original unfortunately, she just bought the first one over the counter and inexplicably kept the core. I'm willing to bet that it'd test good too, though.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

stevobob posted:

We don't have her original unfortunately, she just bought the first one over the counter and inexplicably kept the core. I'm willing to bet that it'd test good too, though.

Her shady-trees :420: mechanic probably got core value on it at a rebuild shop. That'd be my guess!

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

What kind of dumbass mechanic doesn't do the belt at the same time as the alternator?

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

thelightguy posted:

What kind of dumbass mechanic doesn't do the belt at the same time as the alternator?

I can explain that. The alternator belt was the inner belt and getting the outer belt that powers the PS pump and AC compressor off was a bit of a pain in the dick. So...that's how. He definitely noticed the haggard-rear end belt, figured it would work anyway and blamed us when it didn't.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

stevobob posted:

I can explain that. The alternator belt was the inner belt and getting the outer belt that powers the PS pump and AC compressor off was a bit of a pain in the dick. So...that's how. He definitely noticed the haggard-rear end belt, figured it would work anyway and blamed us when it didn't.

But he had to remove the belt to do the alternator :psyduck:

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

EightBit posted:

But he had to remove the belt to do the alternator :psyduck:

But you don't need to take all the other belts off and take it completely off. If the belt doesn't need to be replaced (or you're lazy), you can just leave the alternator belt flopping around on the pulley, then pull it back on when you're done.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Space Gopher posted:

If the belt doesn't need to be replaced

I do not understand these words in this order. :v:

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

Space Gopher posted:

If the belt doesn't need to be replaced hasn't snapped

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
This guy just friended me on facebook so he could ask some questions about the CB125 he's rebuilding...

Yeah I'd say you'll probably need a new one of those.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

This guy just friended me on facebook so he could ask some questions about the CB125 he's rebuilding...

How the HELL did it get that ground down?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
throw some ZDDP additive in the oil and it'll be fine :downsrim:

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
That's one hell of a custom grind.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I actually had to double-take. It was like a trick question, except the correct answer was really, really obvious.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

CommieGIR posted:

How the HELL did it get that ground down?

no loving clue. the rocker arms even look fine.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjE-wHsjZ_E

A video but... glorious nonetheless.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Vivec posted:

It's so pathetic it could only be diminished by any further drama, I mean any explosion would actually detract at this point.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
This one's a new one on me.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Is that a lizard? If so, my question is not "How did that get into the brakes of that car?" but "Why is something like that living in Seattle?"

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
How did it smell?

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Probably like chicken. Everything smells like chicken.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Well, there goes everyone's cheap insurance.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

I save well over 15% with USAA, so who cares :smug:

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
I bet your thriftiness drives all the ladies wild.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Vivec posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjE-wHsjZ_E

The redneck that was supposed to torque the bolts down didn't realize that the book said 200lbs not 20.0

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Haha you think the average Camaro builder knows what a torque spec is. Most of the ones use the German specification of Guten-Teit.

flacoman954
Nov 9, 2009

Dr 14 INCH DICK Md posted:

This one's a new one on me.

I had one of those little bastards hop into my central A/C start capacitor. $250 dollars later I had coolness again...

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

A clogged recirc filter wasn't allowing enough airflow through my a/c evaporator.

just one massive block of ice. good to know the a/c system is still working well though :D

Doctor Londom
Feb 24, 2006
I'm gonna get to the bottom of this and I don't give a fuck if you're at the top.
Wow, I thought most AC systems had an evap temp sensor to prevent that very thing.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Doctor Londom posted:

Wow, I thought most AC systems had an evap temp sensor to prevent that very thing.

Very few have them, mostly because it's yet another part to install and warranty coupled with the fact that this type of thing rarely happens unless you have low refrigerant like Powershift undoubtedly has.

The evaporator has no business being below 0C in a properly functioning AC circuit.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

Motronic posted:

Very few have them, mostly because it's yet another part to install and warranty coupled with the fact that this type of thing rarely happens unless you have low refrigerant like Powershift undoubtedly has.

The evaporator has no business being below 0C in a properly functioning AC circuit.

Yeah, ONLY IF IT USES AN ORIFICE TUBE. Those of us with proper expansion valve systems enjoy dipping way below freezing then cycling off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Sponge! posted:

Yeah, ONLY IF IT USES AN ORIFICE TUBE. Those of us with proper expansion valve systems enjoy dipping way below freezing then cycling off.

The big benefit of an expansion valve as a phase change device is that the window of acceptable feed pressures (therefore refrigerant charges and compressor health) is much wider than a (fixed) capillary tube due to the fact that the expansion valve adjusts based on the temperature of the refrigerant leaving the evaporator to prevent it from dropping below freezing as well as making it more efficient when it does have sufficient charge.

It in no way allows you to cheat physics and humidity by running the evaporator below freezing. I froze the poo poo out of the one in my Porsche last year after an AC repair when I was impatiently refilling the system too quickly on a 100 degree 90+% humidity day.