Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
My iPhone is an AT&T iPhone but I had it unlocked by AT&T so if I'm ordering from StraightTalk do I need an Unlocked GSM SimCard or do I need an AT&T Compatible Phone SimCard? Sorry! Last stupid question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

walumachoncha
Jul 22, 2004
fraeulin doesn't like linux/GNOME :(
So I just updated my optimus V to ice cream sandwich using the latest nightly of the quattrimus rom, and let me tell you it makes you a completely different phone. I don't want to let go of my $25/mo plan, so for me, the flash was well worth it. I recommend it for sure.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

rear end Catchcum posted:

My iPhone is an AT&T iPhone but I had it unlocked by AT&T so if I'm ordering from StraightTalk do I need an Unlocked GSM SimCard or do I need an AT&T Compatible Phone SimCard? Sorry! Last stupid question.

They should be the same thing, but get the AT&T one just to make sure you don't get a TMobile one.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

SB35 posted:

Apple never has made a special phone for China mobile. Only China Telecom (CDMA), and China Unicom (GSM/WCDMA) offer the iPhone. China mobile users use unlocked iPhones on 2G data.

They are going to, for the next iPhone. Android phones are outselling iPhone 4:1 in China so obviously the unified hardware strategy hasn't worked in China.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

walumachoncha posted:

So I just updated my optimus V to ice cream sandwich using the latest nightly of the quattrimus rom, and let me tell you it makes you a completely different phone. I don't want to let go of my $25/mo plan, so for me, the flash was well worth it. I recommend it for sure.

How well does it run? I just put CM7 on my new Optimus V and it's great, but I held off on the ICS stuff because I figured it was a bit too much to expect out of the hardware.

walumachoncha
Jul 22, 2004

Cabbit posted:

How well does it run? I just put CM7 on my new Optimus V and it's great, but I held off on the ICS stuff because I figured it was a bit too much to expect out of the hardware.

Compared to a gingerbread rom that claimed to be "optimized" for the OV , it is way more stable and snappier. The developer that is working on the rom seems to be very much on the ball in quashing bugs. the one thing i did to insure that this would be a proper install was to create a 1gb ext4 partition in my sd card, since the rom uses pretty much all the internal space. the sd-ext partition gets automatically detected and all newly installed apps get placed there. Here's a quick rundown of how I did mine:

-Used titanium backup to save my settings, system data, and apps to sd card.

-booted to recovery and did a full backup just in case.

-turned phone off, took sd card out, and used a computer with parted magic to delete all hidden and app folders. i left my DCIM, music, videos, titanium backup and clockworkmod folders alone since those are fine to leave.

-also used parted magic to resize the current sd partition, reducing it by 1gb, then creating a new ext4 partition out of that space.

-copied the quattrimus rom zip into the root of my sd card, along with the newest ics google apps (both from http://getquattrimus.com). There is the choice between a CM9 or an AOKP version, with the first being move vanilla, while AOKP being more "tweaked" but seemed less stable. I stuck with CM9.

-took sd card back to phone, booted phone to recovery (push and hold home volume down, and power until lg logo pops up then goes to blank screen.

-use recovery to wipe your phone's internal, cache and dalvik. Install from zip, then go back to the main recovery menu and choose install from zip. Choose the rom zip from root and install it, then do the same for the google apps zip.

-reboot phone and go into ICS. Do the initial setup and then install titanium backup, and tell it to restore all your apps+system settings ( it goes much faster if you have the pro version, trust me).

-update all your restored apps with the play store to bring them to ics status if needed.

- the last tweak I did was to fix a glitch with voice search. I uninstalled voice search using titanium backup, then reinstalled it from the play store.

Looking back at the original VM rom, I can't believe how much snappier and stable this rom is, even at beta status.
As always, make sure that whatever bugs the rom has doesn't impair what you want to do with your phone. I know netflix doesn't work yet, but they were working on it. Caveat emptor.

walumachoncha fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jul 21, 2012

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
Last week, I tried a slightly different version of ICS on an Optimus V (the BobZ build), and while it was very pretty and the basic UI was relatively snappy, the known issues made the phone difficult for me to use. In particular, it wasn't very reliable, I couldn't play any sort of video at a watchable speed (even after installing MX player), it took a very long time for the unlock screen to come up when the phone rang (and the ringtone was garbled), the battery drain was very high, apps took a very long time to start and would get closed quickly due to lack of memory, USB mass storage mode was broken, etc.

I went back to a gingerbread ROM (the Mirage build of IHO CM7.2) a couple of days ago and I'm actually much happier with it. Everything works as advertised, no workarounds required, and the performance and battery life is excellent. It's not as pretty but oh well.

Maybe there will be fixes to make ICS work better, but at least for me, the problems aren't worth it at the moment and I'm not going to do nightly testing on my only phone. YMMV.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Yeah, I think I'll stick with CM7 as everything seems to work and it's already done wonders for my battery life. I might end up trying other versions, though-- anything specific about the Mirage build that makes it better than the bobzhome one?

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

If you want 3G speeds, an AT&T SIM.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I've been with Sprint forever so I'm a bit unfamiliar with how SIMs work. I have a phone that had a line on a family plan, but they dropped that line so now that phone no longer has service. It has a SIM card still in it. Can I use this sim card and sign up for one of T-mobile's prepaid plans? I think I won't be about to get on the $30/mo plan because its not a new activation.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

Cabbit posted:

Yeah, I think I'll stick with CM7 as everything seems to work and it's already done wonders for my battery life. I might end up trying other versions, though-- anything specific about the Mirage build that makes it better than the bobzhome one?

It's a slightly more up-to-date version of CM7.2, I think. Honestly, the differences have been extremely minor and I can't think of a reason to switch if what you're using is working for you.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Hughmoris posted:

I've been with Sprint forever so I'm a bit unfamiliar with how SIMs work. I have a phone that had a line on a family plan, but they dropped that line so now that phone no longer has service. It has a SIM card still in it. Can I use this sim card and sign up for one of T-mobile's prepaid plans? I think I won't be about to get on the $30/mo plan because its not a new activation.

By "new activation" they mean that a current customer can't just change their plan to that one while keeping their phone number. You do need a special activation code that comes with the prepaid SIMs, but TMo might give you one if you call them up. They had to do that for a bunch of prepaid SIMs that accidentally got sent out with bunk activation codes I guess, so there is a system in place for it.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Hughmoris posted:

Who was the family plan with? If it was Sprint there was no SIM in it.

SIMs are the little cards that look like a slightly smaller SD card with flat pads for contacts. SIMs are cheap, if you want the $30 plan just get a new SIM and port the number. Can order from T-Mobile direct or pickup a cheap rear end pre-paid phone from walmart that will include an activation kit (SIM) in it (and get a backup phone in the process).

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Heresiarch posted:

It's a slightly more up-to-date version of CM7.2, I think. Honestly, the differences have been extremely minor and I can't think of a reason to switch if what you're using is working for you.

Well, I tried it out for the hell of it, and it seemed a bit more stable to me (my status bar didn't disappear when I tried different themes, for one). The loader it came with was a lot more agreeable to work with, too-- I've got it all themed and skinned up to my satisfaction now.

I honestly expected tweaking this thing to taste to be a lot more time consuming!

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

I am the undisputed king of an infinite amount of nothing, don't correct me when I'm wrong, I'm proud to wear the crown of fools
Just made the switch from Spring to T-Mobile (100 minute monthly 4G plan) and everything went pretty smooth. Took a day or so to get my number ported, at which point Sprint automatically canceled my account. T-Mobile's support was kind of awkward when I called to get the number ported (I've honestly never heard someone mangle a common last name like mine so badly when repeating it back to me), but it went through, and I called Sprint's support maybe twice during my two-year stint with them, so it wasn't a big deal.

Upgrading to a Galaxy Nexus from an already-at-the-end-of-its-lifespan-when-I-got-it HTC Hero is a loving night and day difference. Doing anything other than calling or texting on that goddamn phone was a chore. I'm still having to get used to apps opening up right away and being able to use my smartphone as a smartphone instead of a device I could technically perform extra functions on if I don't mind waiting for poo poo to load. It's still way early yet, but everything's great so far.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
Forgive me if this has been asked; I read the OP and the first few pages and it wasn't covered.

I have an old iPhone 3Gs I keep around and active as a spare (in case mine gets lost/broken, a visiting guest needs a phone, the kids go on a trip and need a phone, whatever). Currently it is set up with a T-Mobile prepaid by-the-day plan: in theory, I pay $2/day for unlimited talk/text/data when the phone is used, and nothing when it isn't.

In theory.

T-Mobile is a bunch of dicks and they rip off their prepaid customers, who have no recourse because T-Mobile holds all the cards (there is no usage/billing information available on T-Mobile prepaid). Example: I last used my spare phone a month ago (gave it to the kids for a weekend), and when I got it back, I turned it off altogether and have not touched it since. I had $20 in prepaid credit left when I did this. Today I check my balance, and it is $0.80. What the gently caress have they been charging me for when the phone is off? They can't/won't tell me, and can't explain how the hell I have an odd number like 80 cents left if they're charging me an even $2 per day. Apparently, they can just reach into my account whenever the gently caress they want and pull out random amounts of money; since there is no usage or billing history to see, there's poo poo all I can do about it.

So gently caress that.

Are there any recommendations for a non-T-Mobile pay-by-the-day plan (obviously needs to be GSM)? Do they even exist anywhere else? Are there any other sorts of plans that will work for me? I don't want just prepaid minutes because either data and/or unlimited texting is a necessity, and I don't want to prepay $30/month for that, either.

Edit: Having no luck finding much myself. AT&T has a pay by the day plan now too, but their data prices are insane. I can live without data if there's a way to disable it completely on the phone so I'm not paying AT&T's outrageous prices. Has anyone here tried the AT&T pay by the day plan? I don't want to get screwed again.

Second edit: I did some research into this issue, and what other T-Mobile customers do as a workaround is switch their plan to pay-by-the-minute before turning their phones off, and reinstating the pay-by-the-day plan when they need it again. This seems to stop T-Mobile from randomly charging $2 every few days. Absent any better plan from another company, I'll satisfy myself with this workaround even though I really want to tell T-Mobile to gently caress off.

Choadmaster fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jul 23, 2012

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

My problem is you dancing all the time
I got my at&t straight Talk SIM in, and was going to make the switch today. However, I was going to port my mobile number to Google voice first - but it is "not available for porting." I would prefer to have my number safe and sound with Google, but I should still feel safe porting over to ST, right?

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
How does the porting process work on Straight Talk anyway.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

How does the porting process work on Straight Talk anyway.

You give them your phone number, account number, and PIN. Like any other port...

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Transferred my launch-day iPhone 4 to StraightTalk the day my AT&T contract ended. Nice to see a bill drop $60 overnight.

Welp, cya.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Choadmaster posted:

Forgive me if this has been asked; I read the OP and the first few pages and it wasn't covered.

I have an old iPhone 3Gs I keep around and active as a spare (in case mine gets lost/broken, a visiting guest needs a phone, the kids go on a trip and need a phone, whatever). Currently it is set up with a T-Mobile prepaid by-the-day plan: in theory, I pay $2/day for unlimited talk/text/data when the phone is used, and nothing when it isn't.

In theory.

T-Mobile is a bunch of dicks and they rip off their prepaid customers, who have no recourse because T-Mobile holds all the cards (there is no usage/billing information available on T-Mobile prepaid). Example: I last used my spare phone a month ago (gave it to the kids for a weekend), and when I got it back, I turned it off altogether and have not touched it since. I had $20 in prepaid credit left when I did this. Today I check my balance, and it is $0.80. What the gently caress have they been charging me for when the phone is off? They can't/won't tell me, and can't explain how the hell I have an odd number like 80 cents left if they're charging me an even $2 per day. Apparently, they can just reach into my account whenever the gently caress they want and pull out random amounts of money; since there is no usage or billing history to see, there's poo poo all I can do about it.

So gently caress that.

Are there any recommendations for a non-T-Mobile pay-by-the-day plan (obviously needs to be GSM)? Do they even exist anywhere else? Are there any other sorts of plans that will work for me? I don't want just prepaid minutes because either data and/or unlimited texting is a necessity, and I don't want to prepay $30/month for that, either.

Edit: Having no luck finding much myself. AT&T has a pay by the day plan now too, but their data prices are insane. I can live without data if there's a way to disable it completely on the phone so I'm not paying AT&T's outrageous prices. Has anyone here tried the AT&T pay by the day plan? I don't want to get screwed again.

Second edit: I did some research into this issue, and what other T-Mobile customers do as a workaround is switch their plan to pay-by-the-minute before turning their phones off, and reinstating the pay-by-the-day plan when they need it again. This seems to stop T-Mobile from randomly charging $2 every few days. Absent any better plan from another company, I'll satisfy myself with this workaround even though I really want to tell T-Mobile to gently caress off.

T-Mobile is the cheapest. You can go Page+ but you need to pay at least 80 (2000min) a year.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

So I asked earlier in the thread about Google Voice and I think I have it figured out; the link someone posted to the XDA forums really had a ton of great info.

If I already signed up on a T-Mobile Pre-Paid plan that I'm using currently, I would have to transfer my current number to Google Voice, get a new activation kit, and use that SIM card in my phone while Google Voice routes all my numbers there, yes? Since transferring my number to another carrier would cancel service.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Ok so after much haranguing back and forth, I think I've finally decided to kick AT&T to the curb and use my $30 T-Mobile plan full-time. Won't save me much (only $32/month since it's an add-a-line) but that adds up. I carry two phones (work iPhone w/unlimited minutes) and a Galaxy Nexus. I plan on using the T-Mobile SIM in my GNEX full-time after porting my personal AT&T number to Google Voice. Here is where my questions begin.

I have had my AT&T cell number for 12 years (843 area code). I want to keep it obviously, so I will port that number to GV as my primary number. I also have a GV number I've had since the Grandcentral days (404 area code) that I want to keep also (I use it for craigslist and telemarketers).

How do I keep and manage both numbers with GV? I know you can keep your old GV number (my Grandcentral 404) if you claim it within 90 days of porting in a new number to GV (my 843 one) but how, in practice, would I manage using two numbers with the Android and iPhone apps? I know that with GV I would have to set my Android phone to always use GV to dial (using my primary 843 number) but how would I call with my 404 number so it shows on caller ID? Is there a way with the GV app (both iPhone and Android) to choose which CID to show, so I can choose either the 843 or 404 number when placing a call?

Also, my iPhone has it's own work number (801 area code). Would I be limited to using only the primary 843 number on the GV app? Would I be able to use both the 843 and 404 number on the iPhone app to make calls and send/receive texts (on my 801 area code work number line).

Of course I will not give out my new T-Mobile number since I won't actually use it to place any calls (will be using the GV app 100% of the time).

Sorry if this seems obvious, but I am not clear on the logistics.

Not so ninja edit: this may not be pre-paid per-se, but it sorta falls in the prepaid topic since a move to prepaid is what's generating these questions. I didn't see a GV thread anyway.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jul 24, 2012

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Is there any way for me to force a Tmobile SGS2 on a prepaid plan to check for OTA updates? ICS has been out for a month or two for this now but it's not pushing to my phone, and I've still got that broken USB port.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Zero VGS posted:

Is there any way for me to force a Tmobile SGS2 on a prepaid plan to check for OTA updates? ICS has been out for a month or two for this now but it's not pushing to my phone, and I've still got that broken USB port.
The ICS updates for SGSII phones are not available for OTA, they are kies only. With a broken USB port you may be SOL. Out of curiosity, how do you charge it without the USB port if its that broken?

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

hotsauce posted:

Ok so after much haranguing back and forth, I think I've finally decided to kick AT&T to the curb and use my $30 T-Mobile plan full-time. Won't save me much (only $32/month since it's an add-a-line) but that adds up. I carry two phones (work iPhone w/unlimited minutes) and a Galaxy Nexus. I plan on using the T-Mobile SIM in my GNEX full-time after porting my personal AT&T number to Google Voice. Here is where my questions begin.

I have had my AT&T cell number for 12 years (843 area code). I want to keep it obviously, so I will port that number to GV as my primary number. I also have a GV number I've had since the Grandcentral days (404 area code) that I want to keep also (I use it for craigslist and telemarketers).

How do I keep and manage both numbers with GV? I know you can keep your old GV number (my Grandcentral 404) if you claim it within 90 days of porting in a new number to GV (my 843 one) but how, in practice, would I manage using two numbers with the Android and iPhone apps? I know that with GV I would have to set my Android phone to always use GV to dial (using my primary 843 number) but how would I call with my 404 number so it shows on caller ID? Is there a way with the GV app (both iPhone and Android) to choose which CID to show, so I can choose either the 843 or 404 number when placing a call?

Also, my iPhone has it's own work number (801 area code). Would I be limited to using only the primary 843 number on the GV app? Would I be able to use both the 843 and 404 number on the iPhone app to make calls and send/receive texts (on my 801 area code work number line).

Of course I will not give out my new T-Mobile number since I won't actually use it to place any calls (will be using the GV app 100% of the time).

Sorry if this seems obvious, but I am not clear on the logistics.

Not so ninja edit: this may not be pre-paid per-se, but it sorta falls in the prepaid topic since a move to prepaid is what's generating these questions. I didn't see a GV thread anyway.

You can't use the 404 number to dial out. You can only receive calls with it.

If you have 1 android phone, there is no way to call out from 2 different google voice number. Unless you pay for a service like 2nd line or something.

I haven't tried it but line2 is free.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Jul 24, 2012

MrMoose
Jan 4, 2003

Happy Happy Joy Joy
Yay, my T-Mobile sim got here yesterday. I should be getting my HSPA+ Nexus today, too. So I can get the plan going tonight and evaluate it for a couple of days, after which I can decide if I'm going to cancel Verizon or not (I'm at the end of my month with them).

The only decision at this point is whether or not I want to port my number to GV, or just port it over to T-Mobile. I've had issues with delayed texts from GV in the past (even after the few days they warn you about), but maybe that's not that much of an issue anymore? I also had issues with calls having very delayed audio, but I'm not sure if that was a WP7 issue or not (as I was using a WP7 phone when I had the issue). But the voice isn't that much of an issue, anyways, since I'm not going to be talking much on the phone.

Has anyone else had similar issues with GV lately (primarily in the realm of texts), or does it seem to be resolved? I'm really hoping this works out well so that I can start saving money. If T-Mobile doesn't work out, I could always give Straight Talk a try too...

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

MrMoose posted:

Yay, my T-Mobile sim got here yesterday. I should be getting my HSPA+ Nexus today, too. So I can get the plan going tonight and evaluate it for a couple of days, after which I can decide if I'm going to cancel Verizon or not (I'm at the end of my month with them).

The only decision at this point is whether or not I want to port my number to GV, or just port it over to T-Mobile. I've had issues with delayed texts from GV in the past (even after the few days they warn you about), but maybe that's not that much of an issue anymore? I also had issues with calls having very delayed audio, but I'm not sure if that was a WP7 issue or not (as I was using a WP7 phone when I had the issue). But the voice isn't that much of an issue, anyways, since I'm not going to be talking much on the phone.

Has anyone else had similar issues with GV lately (primarily in the realm of texts), or does it seem to be resolved? I'm really hoping this works out well so that I can start saving money. If T-Mobile doesn't work out, I could always give Straight Talk a try too...
Can you port your number after you've activated the T-Mobile SIM to try it out? I'm doing literally the exact same thing as you, since I'm on the last month of my price-gouging AT&T plan, and I'd like to keep my number, but I wasn't sure if you could port it over after the fact.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

ilkhan posted:

The ICS updates for SGSII phones are not available for OTA, they are kies only. With a broken USB port you may be SOL. Out of curiosity, how do you charge it without the USB port if its that broken?

For about $8 shipped on eBay you can get two batteries and a wall charger that you click the batteries into. So I just cycle through those. If I can't solder some wires into this phone for just long enough to root it, I'm going to have to bail on the thing. I can't be stuck on 2.3.6 forever ; ;

MrMoose
Jan 4, 2003

Happy Happy Joy Joy
Phone activated on T-Mobile for the lofty sum of $28.70 from Callingmart. 3 bars of signal at my apartment and a data connection that bounces between HSPA and 3G. But faster 3G than verizon.

If it performs well at work...time to eat the Verizon ETF. By my math:

$250 for verizon ETF
$349 for HSPA+ Nexus
$599 total spent.

Sell Verizon Gnex -- $350 - $400
Save $100/month with the plan

By my math, I'll be profiting within 3 months and saving money. This seems to be well worth it to me as long as the service holds up. The best part being that I'm not under contract to any of the carriers.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Zero VGS posted:

For about $8 shipped on eBay you can get two batteries and a wall charger that you click the batteries into. So I just cycle through those. If I can't solder some wires into this phone for just long enough to root it, I'm going to have to bail on the thing. I can't be stuck on 2.3.6 forever ; ;
Isn't that what warranties are for? Seems like a hardware problem that would be covered.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

MrMoose posted:

Phone activated on T-Mobile for the lofty sum of $28.70 from Callingmart. 3 bars of signal at my apartment and a data connection that bounces between HSPA and 3G. But faster 3G than verizon.

I think this might be normal - my GNex will display 3G most of the time, and only show "H" when I'm actually using the data connection. Hopefully somebody else can confirm...

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

ilkhan posted:

Isn't that what warranties are for? Seems like a hardware problem that would be covered.

It's a phone I bought on eBay; without the original receipt, Samsung won't honor something like that. I took a calculated risk since I knew the port was broken. Good news is there's a place online that will replace the port for $35, and I still get a T-989 for $260 total with repair cost included.

walumachoncha
Jul 22, 2004
can't you just transfer the rom to the phone using bluetooth or airdroid?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
The phone's not rooted, and there's no way to root without USB; I've spent the last few days looking and the only things that could were patched out in 2.3.6

Edit: So, plan talk... how long do you think T-Mobile will keep up this $30 plan for? Virgin didn't make it a year at $25 before moving theirs up; is T-Mo known for grandfathering like VM?

Edit 2: Also I got that drat Wifi Hotspot Nag Screen on T-Mo for the first time yesterday. gently caress that noise, is there a tethering app that can dodge it right now? I got the screen on CM9 Built-In tethering.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jul 25, 2012

MrMoose
Jan 4, 2003

Happy Happy Joy Joy
Sadface.

T-Mobile works great at my apartment complex. Better than Verizon. Yay! This makes me happy.

I get to work today, and when i hit the parking garage, the signal drops out and it goes to "emergency calls only". OK, I can live with that. But when I'm in an area with signal, it doesn't pick it back up. I have to turn on and off airplane mode to get it to grab signal again. Sitting in my office, this happens again. If it were to just drop to no signal and then pick one back up a few seconds later, I'd be ok with that. But completely losing signal then not grabbing it back may be a dealbreaker, since I don't want to have to be resetting the radio constantly.

Anyone know of a way around this? I don't care if it has data at work, as I'm typically on wifi here (and will be again once 4.1.1 fixes the issue with corporate networks), but I need it to at least be able to receive texts reliably during the day. I really want to make this work, since I'd like to pocket that extra $100 per month, but can't do it without reliable texting :(

EDIT: Guess I shouldn't have expected any better service for only 30 a month. I try to charge 35 bucks last night to get the account going. Told it didn't process, so I buy a pin from callingmart. That went through fine, I activated. Then I get a text from T-Mo this morning saying "Hey, we've charged you $35!" and I see that 35 showing on my account. Use chat, ask for a refund. The person there is a complete idiot, and i get a number to call in. Call, am completely polite. Told I need to speak with someone in the refill center, they can refund me. I get forwarded on. Polite with this next person, who tells me his supervisor can handle this. She looks into it, puts me on hold for 5 minutes. Says HER supervisor can handle it. I wait on hold for 25 minutes and am now told that nothing can be done for 24 hours. This, on top of the service cutting out to "emergency calls only" and not reconnecting without some kind of intervention is making me want to just give up and try straight talk. At least I'm only out 30 dollars. I mean, given the price, i don't expect perfection. But I also don't expect this to happen with the signal constantly. Even with a data connection, unreliability in texts is a dealbreaker for me :/

MrMoose fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jul 25, 2012

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Hey guys. I have a Virgin Mobile plan question. I am currently grandfathered on the $25 plan but my Optimus V's antenna has decided it doesn't want to send or receive calls and texts, everything else works perfect though. :iiam:

Would I lose my $25 plan if I switch service back to my old crappy Intercept while I wait for a new Optimus V and then switch from the Intercept to the new Optimus V? Or even just switching service directly from the old Optimus V to the new one?

I know I can't use most of their newer phones but I don't know if they changed their policy about the older phones and grandfathering.

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jul 26, 2012

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

That's called India, better start getting used to it. The key is to just get your poo poo straight so you don't have to call them ever.

You have a Nexus right? Root that poo poo, install Clockwork Recovery, back everything up, and then there's a gajillion different radios to test: http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/wiki/Galaxy_Nexus_(GSM):_Support_Downloads

Welcome to flavor country. Speaking of, where precisely do you live again?

nunsexmonkrock posted:

Hey guys. I have a Virgin Mobile plan question.

I used to be grandfathered, been a while, but I think if you do a phone swap directly on their website, uh, they can't magically raise the price on you? Don't quote me on that but you could always call and ask them yourself. Honestly, they should pay *you* to go back to an Intercept, even for a day. That was my first smartphone, and it was nearly my last.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jul 26, 2012

MrMoose
Jan 4, 2003

Happy Happy Joy Joy

Zero VGS posted:

That's called India, better start getting used to it. The key is to just get your poo poo straight so you don't have to call them ever.

You have a Nexus right? Root that poo poo, install Clockwork Recovery, back everything up, and then there's a gajillion different radios to test: http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/wiki/Galaxy_Nexus_(GSM):_Support_Downloads

Welcome to flavor country. Speaking of, where precisely do you live again?

Yeah, I've debated over rooting since I was using my Verizon Nexus. I didn't because I was just too lazy to get everything set back up on the phone just right. I know that I had rooted my Epic 4G while I was over on Sprint, because that phone really needed it. But I'm trying to resist with the Nexus since it really does work very well out of the box so far. Though there's a part of me that wants to experiment just for the sake of experimentation at this point. Primarily because I'd like to get a really nice theme going and some of the nicer ones seem to require rooting and installing of non-market apps.

But yeah, I did some thinking during the day and will probably be keeping T-Mobile. Everywhere OTHER than work has really good signal in town. I used my HSPA+ and my LTE Nexuses today an equal amount, and the Verizon one, with extended battery sits at 43% battery while the T-Mo one sits at 53%. So...if I can get GrooveIP or some such working well, I can deal with the spotty signal at work since we have wifi anywhere I go.

And I live in Madison WI, work in Verona, WI. Maybe signal will be better when I'm in a window office starting next week as opposed to an interior one.

As for the billing fun...I'm probably just going to let it stand at this point. Like I mentioned, the service is great everywhere except for work, so it's just a matter of making it tolerable enough to get texts at work. Once I get that going, I can take the signal issues in exchange for the extra money each month -- especially since GV will just route the texts over Wifi data anyways. Figure that some sacrifices have to be made to save this kind of money, after all.

MrMoose fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jul 26, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

Zero VGS posted:

I used to be grandfathered, been a while, but I think if you do a phone swap directly on their website, uh, they can't magically raise the price on you? Don't quote me on that but you could always call and ask them yourself. Honestly, they should pay *you* to go back to an Intercept, even for a day. That was my first smartphone, and it was nearly my last.

Calling is the problem.....I don't have a working phone now ha ha. I think I'll just pick up a mic and headphones at Staples tomorrow to use Google voice on my computer and return them when I'm finished.

After a bit of testing, I think Virgin is the problem. When I called with my boyfriends OV (on VM too and standing right next to him), it connects for calls and mine doesn't. That's why I thought it was my phone

But when turning on both of our deactivated Intercepts, when I make a call with his I get a steady signal and "Your phone can not be validated, etc.....", while with my old Intercept the signal fluctuates, dies and I just get dead air, don't get that message and the call drops. What problem could they have with my old phone and me? I don't tether or do anything against the rules, I use WiFi for most everything and only use like 120ish minutes a month, I'm pretty much the perfect customer.

So they definitely should pay me for just even turning on 2 Intercepts. Ha!

Thanks for the advice!

drat you VM!

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jul 26, 2012

• Locked thread