Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Blue cheese, not bleu.

Your eternal crusade marches on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Chemmy posted:

I'd make a cheese sauce with sodium citrate and carrageenan, to be honest.

Well aren't you just special!! *cheek pinch* ;)

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Kenning posted:

Your eternal crusade marches on.

I will march alongside him in his noble quest.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Going suit shopping with friend today. Should be fun. He's a plus sized man, which will prove challenging. I'll likely end up taking him to goddamned Brooklyn, because they have all those stores that sell affordable mass-produced suits that he can find in sizes he can wear. He's going to need everything from the ground up, because he's not even got a decent pair of shoes, a tie, or a nice shirt. Fortunately, I know some really good tailors in Manhattan who can get the sizing sorted.

Anyone who's having a wedding: tell your ministers to shut the gently caress up. Nobody's interested. Get to the readings, get to the vows, then SHUT UP ALREADY. A 30 minute long sermon, where you ramble on about stupid poo poo that nobody else cares about? Not loving cute. The rest of that wedding was boring as hell. And the bride is clearly a oval office. Wedding started at 5:00. Reception started at 6:00. We left at 7:30. Everything about that loving thing was an enormously boring, horribly planned, poorly executed abortion of an event.

I get irrationally furious when parties are planned poorly. I get even more furious when a wedding, which should be a celebration, wherein all parties involved have a really good loving time become long, dry affairs where you want to GTFO because everything seems like such a goddamned chore.

I was even more irritated at having wasted all that time on a day when my friends were over earlier in the day. I wish I'd just sent Steve, and stayed home with my friends. I really need to learn to trust my instincts better. If I genuinely feel like something's a bad idea, I need to go with it immediately.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

That's one nice thing nerd weddings have going for them, they tend to skimp on the sermons and get right to the mortifying exchanging of vows through song while dressed in some kind of costume.

Then it's reception time - where the true quality of the wedding is judged.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Wroughtirony posted:

Well aren't you just special!! *cheek pinch* ;)

It'd let you stuff a risotto cake with gooey Parmesan.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

CuddleChunks posted:

Then it's reception time - where the true quality of the wedding is judged.
This is the social truth too many people are afraid to speak. Like a lot of people, some of my friends from college got married shortly after graduating. One of the them was a literal shotgun wedding (the father of the bride painted his shotgun white and brought it to the ceremony) in rural Minnesota. The pastor was quick, the service short and sweet. When we got to the reception, the father of the bride - apparently much relieved that things had gone as planned - paid for open bar for the wedding party. Best reception ever. We drank premium Long Islands and danced the chicken dance until 3am.

Another was at an expensive purpose-built picturesque wedding factory place outside San Diego. Dry reception. A dry wedding reception is the worst thing. Know what happens when you have a dry reception? It forces your guests to devote their energies to something else. In our case, we were off in a corner making a pool on how long the marriage would last. (I missed winning by one goddamn week.)

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
A dry wedding? That's the worst damned idea I've ever heard.

Had chums over for dinner last night. Made a Japanese spread:
- sweet potato with ginger and mirin
- spinach with sesame dressing
-tofu (purchased) with toasted sesame seeds and grated ginger
- aubergine broiled with miso
- mushrooms with rice vinegar, soya and sesame oil
- rice

Everything was good to excellent. I was pleased.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

bartolimu posted:

A dry wedding reception is the worst thing.

Not necessarily. Everyone was driving away from our wedding in pretty heavy traffic. We didn't have a drop to drink because we weren't going to be morally responsible for stupid people DUI'ing or whatever. Especially after a death in my husband's family involving drunk driving.

So if your guests aren't going to be able to work off the alcohol or have a DD and they have a good ways to drive, it might even be for the better.

dino. posted:

Anyone who's having a wedding: tell your ministers to shut the gently caress up. Nobody's interested. Get to the readings, get to the vows, then SHUT UP ALREADY. A 30 minute long sermon, where you ramble on about stupid poo poo that nobody else cares about? Not loving cute.

The rear end in a top hat doing mine tried this poo poo. About two minutes into it I smiled up at him, peeked under my veil and asked him if today was about him or if it was about me and my husband. Especially since we'd asked him to shut the gently caress up about religious poo poo entirely. He shut up, got done with the vows and I got to go hide for a while and settle down after having taken the wrong limo to my own wedding :v:

I found out later that husband didn't tip him because the rear end in a top hat told him I was "an un-Godly woman" for interrupting a minister and that I'd never obey him like God intended and a bunch of other crazy poo poo. Husband said that was good, because he hates going to church and he wanted a wife, not a slave :3:

So yeah, gently caress pompous wedding ministers. And best of luck sizing your buddy.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Not necessarily. Everyone was driving away from our wedding in pretty heavy traffic. We didn't have a drop to drink because we weren't going to be morally responsible for stupid people DUI'ing or whatever. Especially after a death in my husband's family involving drunk driving.

So if your guests aren't going to be able to work off the alcohol or have a DD and they have a good ways to drive, it might even be for the better.
The key is to invite responsible adults to your wedding.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I'd feel like garbage if people gave me wedding gifts and I served them catered wedding food and no booze.

If you can't afford a top shelf open bar no biggie, I went to plenty of nice weddings where it was a pig roast and a keg of beer. That works. No booze? Only a cash bar? That's awful.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
As a guy, and in the unlikely event I get married, I have long since realized I will have little input into almost everything.

Except for the dinner menu and the fact that it will be open bar. No-one is taking that away from me.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
not having alcohol at a wedding is literally the most horrible thing you can possibly do to your guests. the one possible excuse is money, and like chemmy said, in that case - pig roast and a keg.

but enough about horrible weddings - what are some weddings you guys have been to that have been really awesome? (need to start doing some research here :3: )

my favorite wedding thus far was a pretty non-traditional one my friends had - they rented out a quirky community-focused 'existentialist church', and had sort of like a semi-potluck style reception for about 100 people, with huge jugs of cocktails and food made by about 10 people.

it was really nice, during the vows and all that, they invited anyone who so desired in the church to give testimony to their union - and people knew this in advance, so there were some pretty cool... I don't know... performances? a couple people brought instruments and did quick songs, one brought a projector and had made a video about the couple that was pretty hilarious, there was one guy who wrote the worst (and thus funniest) limerick I have and probably ever will hear at a wedding, etc.

and after all the vows, the thing just degenerated into a giant dance party until the cops came by at 3am.

another pretty good one was done at a winery in the north georgia mountains, but that one was seriously just about money - open bar for 250 people for like 6 hours, sit down multi-course dinner, huge elaborate ceremony, father of the groom rented cottages with hottubs for the entire wedding party (which I was lucky enough to be part of), but gawt drat.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
In the snow at Tahoe, sno-cats for limousines, free flowing schnapps, and wood heated cabins for the overnight.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I think the basics of a successful wedding are to consider that you'll have guests. Though the day is about you nobody wants to sit through two hours of video about both of you growing up.

People want to support you but mostly they want to dance and drink and be merry.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

I visited a venue today that can't do hard liquor, but I can bring all the beer and wine I want with no corkage fee. Extra perfect as there are several small-time local wineries that are dirt cheap yet delicious.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Weddings are a perfect excuse for truly outrageously large bowls of punch.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Homemade triple crème and a loaf of sourdough ciabatta. Best lunch ever. :gizz:

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

30 minute ceremony followed by endless piles of food to stuff your face with. Kids got served champagne (in little dixie cups) because it's a wedding and if you asked your parents and they said it was alright then WOOOO! There were homemade raviolis and all sorts of neat stuff. I'm so glad those folks had several kids that needed marrying. :haw:

The worst/best reception I went to was out at a country club. The bride's mom worked there so they let her rent out one of their lovely rooms. They had cooks making omelettes and a nice selection of drinks. My elementary school gym teacher was the DJ at the event so that was a bit awkward. Then it got more awkward and mortifying. A girl I'd know since elementary school was there with her family. She's very pretty, I'm a big dumb goon and when I went to get something to drink my mom hissed at me to ask her as well because it's the polite thing to do. So I ask. Her bitchy response? "No! And I don't want to dance either!" :blush:

gently caress me, that's just what a teenage dork wants to hear, a crushing remark from a pretty girl outside the usual mockery at high school. I got one zinger in as I left, "I didn't ask!" and stomped off to go get a drink or hopefully be murdered right there so I could stop blushing and feeling like the lumpiest piece of poo poo ever.

Got some drinks, walked off to go find some cooler, less cruel air and the DJ is yelling at the groomsmen to dance in a line. They're playing a disco track and I don't know, I must have blacked out or my shame had finally reached a point where I couldn't be embarrassed any further. I went out and danced for them. I showed them how a goon who was raised by wild drag queens on the mean streets of Portland can dance. I boogied the gently caress down.

The groom and bride were both up from Los Angeles and had brought a bunch of their friends with them. A chunky white boy tearing up the floor is the cue for everyone else to go and dance because seriously, if my fat rear end can do it, so can you. In no time we had the floor packed with people smiling and having a good time. One of the ladies that came up from LA asked me if I wanted to dance. I said yes and tried not to trip over my tongue. We had a nice time and it was later that I found out she used to be a professional model. Holy goddamn.

The final perfect topping on this little story? I saw the mean girl get up from where she'd been sitting alone and walk out since no one was asking her to dance.

I know this was petty and overblown but hey, I was sixteen and these things Matter. It's not often you get to feel like a superstar at a wedding reception. Neither do you get to have an immediate comeuppance for a callous remark.

These days I just get my own drinks and save a lot of hassle.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
CC, that's loving awesome. Should be a scene in a film.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Was at a wedding in a somewhat posh hotel in Madison, right near the capital. The bigger ballroom next to the wedding was also rented out for a wedding, but it was full of douchebags in ballgowns and tuxes. They were being right bitches to people from the wedding we attended, which was a young couple that's been together since high school. So we decide to go crash their full open bar, which was lovely. They had a 3-piece string ensemble playing and no one looked like they were having fun...

Little did we know that our friends had hired the UW-Madison marching band to lead the wedding party procession into the hall and then play for a good 20 minutes while the wedding party danced. I was glad we had seats next to the door so we could watch a string of uptight dudes in tuxes run over and cuss out whoever they could find from the hotel.

Another wedding I was at took place on Halloween in a cemetery, followed by a costume party rave. It was not nearly as exciting as it sounded though.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

therattle - thanks, hahah I still feel that creeping blush rise up my neck when I remember getting shot down. Ugh. I still know her and most of the folks involved since our families keep in touch. I'm glad to say she's much nicer these days now that she's married with a kid and removed from that event by twenty years or so.

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Little did we know that our friends had hired the UW-Madison marching band to lead the wedding party procession into the hall and then play for a good 20 minutes while the wedding party danced.
:haw: Ahahahahah yes.

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best
I'm going to my first wedding in a month, and all the planning they've been putting into it seems insane. It was going to be small, but the couple have big families so it ballooned into a +150 plus deal. The couple has the coolest proposal picture.

What's it called when the bar is open up to a certain cash value then becomes a cash bar?

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

homerlaw posted:

What's it called when the bar is open up to a certain cash value then becomes a cash bar?
A sensible precaution. :haw:

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

homerlaw posted:

I'm not sure that has a name here, putting cash behind the bar is fairly common and i've only ever heard it called putting cash behind the bar.

For our wedding we had a small wedding breakfast for the people at the Ceremony because we found out that if you book the meal at the country house where we got married then you get the room hire etc all thrown in. It's something a bunch of the really nice country houses do, so although the food much more exspensive you're effectively getting the room for free so it works out cheaper. So if anyone is in Edinburgh area and wants a small ceremony I can reccomend Prestonfield House, the food is really great and comes out less than you expect.

For the reception we had a Hog roast (I made some vegan food for the day as well) and a Bon Jovi Tribute band. It was awesome.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

this is an awesome story. respectknuckles to teh bravest lil goon that could :)

besides, if you really got off the 'I didn't ask', sounds like you pretty much owned the situation, no blushing required.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

mindphlux posted:

this is an awesome story. respectknuckles to teh bravest lil goon that could :)
You mean TERRORIST FIST BUMP!

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Best one that I went to was my friend Jamie's, where she had me be the matron of honour. No, seriously. I was there in upstate New York, on 8 July. Full on Jewish ceremony, complete with the hora and chair lifting. There were three separate buffets. One with salumi, bread, olives, Israeli salad, hummus, baba ghanouj, grapes, cheeses, and other cold things. Another with some kind of fish, black rice (which was so delicious that I went back for THIRD helpings), baby bok choy, and some kind of stir fry. Then another one with steak, roasted potatoes, penne & peas, haricot verts with almonds, and Israeli couscous salad. The signature cocktail was a cucumber and Hendrick's Gin thing with mint and lime. Was lovely. Music sucked out loud, but I didn't care, because I knew lots of the people there, so I did the social butterfly thing, and went from table to table, chatting up everyone. It was loads of fun, because I got to meet old friends, made new friends, and ate amazing food. The beauty of it was that the extra buffets didn't cost that much, because they didn't have to order as much of each item, because there was so much variety.

battlemonk
Dec 10, 2008
I just attended a wedding as a groomsman that was evenly divided between lovely and horrid. The ceremony itself was quite nice, a "Celtic" wedding that involved some pagan ritual bits of a contract stone, bowls of water, anointing with oil, and so forth; it was also very not Big-R-Religious, which I appreciate (not that I'm going to poo poo on someone for having a Catholic wedding if that's their faith, but it's nice to see a wedding that's not all about God.) The ceremony was held outside a lighthouse right on lake Michigan, and the locale was all-in-all gorgeous.

The reception was a different story. The banquet hall looked out onto a parking lot in back with a marina behind it, so the lot contained a boat lift, a few boats up on blocks with various piles of detritus around them, and generally not the nicest view of the channel/lake beyond. The front looked out onto the street, an area which was under minor construction, so it just wasn't so picturesque. The hall had been set for 50-60 people minimum, but the wedding ended up being 30-40 or so, so it just looked kind of sad in that regard. The food was poorly sauced and generally did not live up to the expectations I had of it, having read through the catering company's material and picked out specific items for the wedding party.

The bride lost her poo poo at the end of the reception because she couldn't find the box for her cake topper, and began focusing on all the negatives of the day; the wedding party finally got her calmed down and on her way out, when she ran into the lady who had been running the bar. Now, the couple was not particularly wealthy, so they didn't have a full open bar—Miller Lite was on tap for free, and you could have Chardonnay for free, and soda, but any other wines/beers/drinks were cash bar. As the wedding couple is trying to leave the reception hall, the bartender stops them and hands them the bill for the open bar portion.

Tacky. In bad taste. Poor decision making. Also, the Bride and Groom don't have their wallets, because—you know—they just got married and are having a party. I offered to pick up the tab, took the bill, got the bride and groom heading out again, and was informed that I couldn't pick up the tab, because they don't accept plastic. Cash or Check, please, right now. "...although I GUESS you could do it tomorrow..." she finally concedes.

I ended up finding the cake topper box and other things that the bride had given to the cake place shortly after they left, by looking under the table skirt of the table the cake had been on.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
Gotta say, Gourd's wedding had pretty great food and people.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Anyone have any experience with USAA's mortgage services?

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
I will be in NOLA in 6. Drunk in 9. Gnawing on crayfish in 10. Later, y'all.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Kissed the girl, called the car, bourbon on an empty stomach. Like a boss.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Sitting in a giant metal tube powered by explosions, a man powered by tequila. How does this end badly?

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Vegetable Melange posted:

Sitting in a giant metal tube powered by explosions, a man powered by tequila. How does this end badly?

:hfive: A night to (not) remember.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Vegetable Melange posted:

Wait a second. I don't recall opening the Space Station 13 thread.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.
I feel like getting drunk. But it collides with other plans.

Discuss.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Dane posted:

Discuss.

Do it anyways.

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

Industrial revolution has flipped the bitch on evolution.

Yeah just pin a little envelope to your shirt like moms do for little kids going to school and label it: 'Bail Money'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirty Phil
Jul 3, 2012

Dane posted:

Discuss.

I would do a hidden boot/pocket flask, then get drunk halfway into your other plans. Make sure to get a minor buzz before; nothing worse then getting almost drunk and running out of booze.