Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006
You're looking ESPECIALLY shadowy this evening, Sir

Frozen-Solid posted:

Taking my laptop out of the reserved pool didn't help. It just bounced again. Maybe I'll build my first custom DHCP server this weekend, and just run DHCP/DNS on my IronPort instead. :(

Edit: Just bumped the DHCP pool to start at 20, and left reservations the same. I doubt it'll make a difference, but might as well try it.

What are you doing with an IronPort?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Moving into a new place... What are the odds that I can get 100mb over the cat 3? It is a small house with new wires. Anyone have experience with this?

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006

Jago posted:

Moving into a new place... What are the odds that I can get 100mb over the cat 3? It is a small house with new wires. Anyone have experience with this?
I got 100mb over 100ft of cat3 phone wire. It wasn't ideal, but it did work fast enough for our application back in 1999. Of course this was when the pinnacle of tech was the cd-rw!

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

UndyingShadow posted:

What are you doing with an IronPort?

Work got a new one, it was sitting in a closet when we were doing some spring cleaning, and my boss told me to take it home and see if I could get some use out of it. Turns out it's just a rebranded 1U Dell server and had a VGA port hidden under a soldered metal plate. I installed Ubuntu 12.04 on it last weekend and made it my new SSH/VPN machine. It replaced an old Dell Dimension 4500 I had that the PSU went bad on.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Hi I live in a shared house (Kollegium/halls/dorms) and we have a crappy router in the kitchen we're thinking about upgrading. Trouble is there's a wide age range in laptops, some are N capable and others aren't.

I've heard that if a G only capable device connects to a router the whole thing drops to G range and bandwidth, is this true? And is there any way we can have a single router give N range and bandwidth at the same time as being accessible to G only devices?

We want to upgrade because the rooms at the far end of the corridor have really dodgy connections and also it would be nice to do some LAN gaming every now and again :-)

zalmoxes
Sep 30, 2009

:eurovision:

Sri.Theo posted:

Hi I live in a shared house (Kollegium/halls/dorms) and we have a crappy router in the kitchen we're thinking about upgrading. Trouble is there's a wide age range in laptops, some are N capable and others aren't.

I've heard that if a G only capable device connects to a router the whole thing drops to G range and bandwidth, is this true? And is there any way we can have a single router give N range and bandwidth at the same time as being accessible to G only devices?

We want to upgrade because the rooms at the far end of the corridor have really dodgy connections and also it would be nice to do some LAN gaming every now and again :-)

You want a dual band router. Something like Linksys E3000 is capable of transmitting on both frequencies, and you have 2 different SSIDs, one for g and one for N.

How big is the house? N has terrible range, so if you're too far from it, you'll be using G anyway.

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006

zalmoxes posted:

You want a dual band router. Something like Linksys E3000 is capable of transmitting on both frequencies, and you have 2 different SSIDs, one for g and one for N.

How big is the house? N has terrible range, so if you're too far from it, you'll be using G anyway.
This isn't necessarily true. There are two sets of frequencies that run wifi: 2.4ghz (802.11b, 802.11g, 802.11n) and 5ghz (802.11a and 802.11n)

Notice 802.11n is in there twice! 802.11n dual band routers have 2.4 and 5ghz radios, but unless your 802.11n equipment is 5ghz (rarer than it should be) you're going to be running on the crowded 2.4 band with all the G devices and cordless phones and microwaves

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Setting the DHCP address range outside of the IPs used by the reservations didn't work. The network was bounced again this morning.

Really not sure what else to do besides buy a new router, or turn my Linux server into a DHCP/DNS server.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

I just had a two hour chat log with Netgear support. They had me change CTS/RTS Threshold to 2304 from the 2347 default. We'll see if that does anything, but I doubt it.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

Frozen-Solid posted:

I just had a two hour chat log with Netgear support. They had me change CTS/RTS Threshold to 2304 from the 2347 default. We'll see if that does anything, but I doubt it.

I can't imagine it will help, that's totally unrelated. How about just setting static IPs?

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Ninja Rope posted:

I can't imagine it will help, that's totally unrelated. How about just setting static IPs?

It didn't help.

The computer that it affects the most is my laptop, and I don't want to static IP it because then I have to change it back to DHCP any time I go somewhere.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved

Frozen-Solid posted:

It didn't help.

The computer that it affects the most is my laptop, and I don't want to static IP it because then I have to change it back to DHCP any time I go somewhere.

http://samanathon.com/reset-your-ip-address-via-batch-file/
Try this.

EDIT: That may not work with Windows 7, I think.

This thread discusses it in a bit of detail. May need to change ip to ipv4
http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72308

Triikan fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jul 22, 2012

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Even running a batch file is something I want to avoid doing. It's an extra step I don't want to do, even if it's "easy" - it's annoying and shouldn't be necessary.

I'm probably going to end up just setting up a DHCP/DNS server on my Linux box and turn off the broken DHCP stuff on my router. Then it'll just work and I won't have to deal with static IPs and assigning an IP to every device I want to connect.

kalicki
Jan 5, 2004

Every King needs his jester
Can you not set it to have a static ip for your laptop's MAC on your router? Then you can leave it on auto dhcp, but when at home, it'll be static.

Edit: nm, didn't read enough

jkyuusai
Jun 26, 2008

homegrown man milk

kalicki posted:

Can you not set it to have a static ip for your laptop's MAC on your router? Then you can leave it on auto dhcp, but when at home, it'll be static.

Edit: nm, didn't read enough

Huh? I was wondering the same thing, but apparently I'm missing something? Why couldn't he leave DHCP on but just set a static assignment for the problem laptop? Is that not doable under regular Netgear firmware?

On my network, I have DHCP on but have a lot of devices static'd just for the reason Frozen mentioned, though I am running Tomato.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

I just finished setting up DHCP/BIND on the linux server, with the router as a backup DNS. Guess we'll see if this fixes it in the next 12 or 24 hours.

fagalicious
Jan 15, 2004

WHAT FAG

jkyuusai posted:

Huh? I was wondering the same thing, but apparently I'm missing something? Why couldn't he leave DHCP on but just set a static assignment for the problem laptop? Is that not doable under regular Netgear firmware?

On my network, I have DHCP on but have a lot of devices static'd just for the reason Frozen mentioned, though I am running Tomato.

I believe he is doing a static assignment with dhcp, but problem is that when it goes to renew the ip lease it doesn't allow it to renew.

Eduardo Vasquez
Oct 19, 2005

Even the funkiest brothers must buckle down and get a job. Who knew that tomatoes had such a rich market on Earth? Now, I drink wine worth more than your soul.
Hey guys, I'm having a problem with one of my routers. It seems to me that the wireless won't work anymore but the LAN ports work just fine. Its on dd-wrt build 14929 and before that I think 13525 (if that was a build?). What is happening is when i restart the router my computer only recognizes the wireless for like 10-30 seconds then it just goes away. It won't connect to it at all. Is there any fixes for this or am I just boned? The router in question is a WRT54g v4.0.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
That router is like 5 years old, buy a new router ffs.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

jkyuusai posted:

Standard Netgear firmware allows an IP address to be reserved for a computer or device. Very easy to set up. I have reservations for a VM server and minecraft VM so that the IP addresses don't change when I need to get remote access.

If the reservation isn't renewing then there must be something causing the router to not recognise the computer. If you check the connected devices tab on the router you should see the computer and it's name, unless something unusual is going on.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Frozen-Solid posted:

This is funny as poo poo. I am already sharing it with my coworkers.

Here's hoping your ubuntu server will handle DHCP with a little more grace than your lovely Netgear.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

CuddleChunks posted:

This is funny as poo poo. I am already sharing it with my coworkers.

Here's hoping your ubuntu server will handle DHCP with a little more grace than your lovely Netgear.

Yeah. I had a big rolleyes over that, but I figured they were smarter than I. It's a shame Netgear's DHCP system is utter poo poo. So far I've been on the new Linux server's DHCP/DNS for about 18 hours and haven't had a disconnect, but my lease doesn't expire until 2pm on the 23rd, so I got a bit left to know if it's working or not.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
Are you positive you only have one DHCP server enabled? It's possible that you had another DHCP server somewhere that was NACKing the renew request and causing your devices to sit around waiting for the DHCP servers to duel it out.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Ninja Rope posted:

Are you positive you only have one DHCP server enabled? It's possible that you had another DHCP server somewhere that was NACKing the renew request and causing your devices to sit around waiting for the DHCP servers to duel it out.

Yeah, I'm sure. And the one sending the NACK was my router.

My coworker has a similar Netgear router (might even be the same model, but I'm not sure) and has been complaining about the same issue. I always assumed it was a Windows driver issue until she was having the same problem.

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
I just got Comcast internet, and they are leasing me a wireless gateway for now, but I don't really want to pay every month. Can someone please recommend a good wireless gateway - or a wireless router and a cable modem - for a decent price? I am really in over my head here.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.
If you want an all in one solution, the Motorola Surfboard Gateway is pretty good: http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-SURF...orola+surfboard

I don't personally have it but a good friend of mine does, and he loves it.

If you were to go the seperate route then you could get the Surfboard without the gateway: http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-SB61...orola+surfboard

And then get a good router, I have a WNDR4500 and now that I have resolved the DNS problem I was having, its a fantastic router: http://www.amazon.com/Netgear-WNDR4500-Gigabit-Wireless-Router/dp/B005KG44V0

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
I am working with a sprawling house that has a single Linksys E2500 at one end that is providing terrible wireless coverage. I was going to buy another E2500 spread things out, but then I figure two wrongs don't make a right.

Is there an access point from Ubiquiti or Mikrotik etc. someone can recommend that will slather this area with signal?

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.

Porkchop Express posted:

If you want an all in one solution, the Motorola Surfboard Gateway is pretty good: http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-SURF...orola+surfboard

I don't personally have it but a good friend of mine does, and he loves it.

Is there anything in a lower price range, or is that about it?

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

They make a lower priced one, but as far as a Gateway its wireless only:

http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-SURF...s=cable+gateway

I don't know much about it though, so I can't comment about its quality.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

I've been on my new Ubuntu DHCP/DNS server for four days and haven't had a single disconnect. gently caress Netgear and their terrible firmware.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Is there something in Windows 7 that causes it to constantly forget I want it set to a static NAT IP? For example, my router has IPs from 100-199, and I static my computer to 50. Works fine, ipconfig shows correctly, but as soon as I reboot my computer, the settings go back to default. Is there a setting or a checkbox I'm missing? It never did this in XP (I have an XP machine that's been set on static for a year now, through reboots and all), and none of my other devices have problems with the IPs.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

Porkchop Express posted:

These things have terrible firmware stability issues, even in bridge mode. Google "SBG6580 dropping" or "SBG6580 rebooting". I've been trying to get rid of mine for a while.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I'm moving into a new place with Verizon (now Frontier) Fiber. I am trying to think ahead on how I am going to set up my home network, but I don't know enough about the service. I didn't have a chance to crack open the ONT (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verizon_FiOS) but if it is like the one at my parents' house it has a coax that goes the the router inside, a phone jack for the landlines and an ethernet port. I'm curious as to what the ethernet port is for if they seem to just run the cable to a box. I only want internet access and if I can use that port it simplifies my setup. Anyone know what the deal is?

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
That jack is there in case they set you up with having Internet line go out through Ethernet instead of coax. I know on Verizon you have to tell them beforehand or talk to the installer so they it set it up so you could just run a line from that jack to your own router. I think they could also enable it after installs. That's how it used to be anyways, I have had fios for a while now so don't remember exactly.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

NOTinuyasha posted:

These things have terrible firmware stability issues, even in bridge mode. Google "SBG6580 dropping" or "SBG6580 rebooting". I've been trying to get rid of mine for a while.

What DOESN'T have terrible firmware that is made for consumer use?

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
I get what you're saying, but that modem actually has specific, well-documented problems. Before that I used a SB6120 which was perfectly fine and had uptimes that spanned months.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

That's a shame, like I said though I do not personally have one and am just going off my friends thoughts on it. I personally prefer to have a modem and a seperate router, and if I were to buy a setup I would go the SB6121/WNDR3500 route, because thats what I have and it works well together.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
I have added the Airport express to the OP for it's niche purposes. It wouldn't have previously met the minimum bar to go in op but why make all networking difficult.

Mr. Nutty
Mar 3, 2005

I need some help improving my setup. I have two computers that play the same online game at the same time and I've been having dropped connections in Blacklight Retribution, lag spikes in Diablo 3 and an inability to connect directly to specific people in Torchlight 2.

So here is my setup. Both computers are plugged in to a E2000 (tomato) that is just a wireless bridge to another E2000 (tomato) and then in to the DSL modem a zyxel pk5000z (centurylink garbage.) Now I know that one issue I have (at least for TL2) is that both the modem and the E2000 plugged in to it are trying to handle NAT. I prefer to do all my routing on that E2000, but when I disable NAT on the modem, it kills the internet connection.

Suggestions? The only custom firmware I have used is Tomato, but if I could solve these problems with another firmware I'll try it. I can buy a modem to replace the zyxel, but I don't know of a better modem or if that will actually improve my network. Honestly the zyxel has easy to understand firmware but I am willing to believe that it doesn't actually work very well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt Thorne
Apr 13, 2009

Mr. Nutty posted:

I need some help improving my setup. I have two computers that play the same online game at the same time and I've been having dropped connections in Blacklight Retribution, lag spikes in Diablo 3 and an inability to connect directly to specific people in Torchlight 2.

So here is my setup. Both computers are plugged in to a E2000 (tomato) that is just a wireless bridge to another E2000 (tomato) and then in to the DSL modem a zyxel pk5000z (centurylink garbage.) Now I know that one issue I have (at least for TL2) is that both the modem and the E2000 plugged in to it are trying to handle NAT. I prefer to do all my routing on that E2000, but when I disable NAT on the modem, it kills the internet connection.

Suggestions? The only custom firmware I have used is Tomato, but if I could solve these problems with another firmware I'll try it. I can buy a modem to replace the zyxel, but I don't know of a better modem or if that will actually improve my network. Honestly the zyxel has easy to understand firmware but I am willing to believe that it doesn't actually work very well.

I had the exact same problem and I solved by removing the wireless part on my setup, ran the cables that I just took off back which solved it.