Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Brown Moses posted:

Here's the first Wasteland 2 screenshot

You'd think for a game that raised a few million dollars they could afford a senior artist at $70k-$80k a year instead of a junior at $40k a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Do not even ask posted:

Combed over the thread and didn't find this anywhere so...

Super Flash Bros are making a point-n-clicker adventure flash game for the iOS for 25k with an extra 5k apparently needed to get the game actually released on PC/Mac. Features the voice of Dan McNeely Edwyn Tiong as the game's titular character.

Here's the "backer-only" demo if you're interested or whatever :ssh:

This is pretty neat actually! Better than games like Puzzle Agent or frickin' Lume, that's for sure. I hope they make it!

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jul 20, 2012

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies

Rebel Blob posted:

On the other hand there is Star Command Part 2. They blew the money from their first kickstarter and are trying to raise another $100,000 with the carrot of a PC/Mac version.
I think this might be Hall of Mockery, just for the fact that their original kickstarter was for $20,000, they got $36,000, and after getting 95% done, they only need another $100,000. This is like the definition of bad kickstarting and writing a proposal.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Brown Moses posted:

Here's the first Wasteland 2 screenshot

This absolutely screams "van buren" to me.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

the black husserl posted:

That's not a good sign is it?

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Boiled Water posted:

Good sign to me, I'm all for a Wasteland 2 that's sort of like what would have been Fallout 3. It really doesn't look bad to me, what would it need to look like to justify the investment in you guys' eyes?

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Boiled Water posted:

It's both. Good because Van Buren would have ruled and bad because the art style we saw was unfinished and bland.

Agreed posted:

Good sign to me, I'm all for a Wasteland 2 that's sort of like what would have been Fallout 3. It really doesn't look bad to me, what would it need to look like to justify the investment in you guys' eyes?
Any sign of well, 'art'. It's really really generic. Compare it to the concept art, which was dripping with detail.

EDIT: Wait a minute, that says "progress screenshot". If this is just 50% then the game is gonna rule.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The game is still really early in development, so take any screenshot with a grain of salt.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Master_Odin posted:

I think this might be Hall of Mockery, just for the fact that their original kickstarter was for $20,000, they got $36,000, and after getting 95% done, they only need another $100,000. This is like the definition of bad kickstarting and writing a proposal.

Holy poo poo.

Look at the update page, and look at their hostile response to someone who called them on their bullshit. They sound like a bunch of clowns.

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

Master_Odin posted:

It sucks because the game looks good but the way the devs have handled this make me not want to go near it. I'm not opposed to a second Kickstarter, but the whole execution is bad.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

EDIT: Wait a minute, that says "progress screenshot". If this is just 50% then the game is gonna rule.
Yeah, Brian Fargo said that he is actually really uncomfortable releasing screenshots this early in the proceedings, since normally they would have something far more polished to show. Which is why this is great, because if this is how things look when they have only been developing the game for a couple of months, the final product will probably look great.

(I also do not seem what is wrong with it looking like Van Buren, and this coming from a bigger Wasteland than Fallout fan, though I understand if you think Van Buren looked boring)

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The game is still really early in development, so take any screenshot with a grain of salt.

Yeah, but this is also a look-development shot, not work in progress gameplay - this is them trying to do art direction and conceptions and it looks very junior to me.

It's not something I would have ever released personally. It's ok for a game to look like that suing development, but they're touting it as their visual bar and it's very low.

Dildo Malone
Sep 14, 2008

I think it looks pretty decent for a game that's been in development for all of two months. I'd like to see them tone down the cartoonyness but all things considered it looks way beyond where I thought it'd be this early on.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

It looks clean and soft with just enough detail. Reminds me of Starcraft 2. Don't have any complaints about that look.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

I very much like the use of vibrant color, it is nice to differentiate it from all the other brown apocalyptic game out there. I think it also fits nicely into the spirit of the original Wasteland.

So like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uuDKrY7eW0

Dildo Malone posted:

I think it looks pretty decent for a game that's been in development for all of two months. I'd like to see them tone down the cartoonyness but all things considered it looks way beyond where I thought it'd be this early on.
The original was pretty cartoony when it could show off some graphics.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Anaxite posted:

I'm not sure what to think; it's as if they're banking on people who liked Shadowrun Returns donating even more. Asking for more funding to develop a free-to-play MMO seems like really bad budgeting on their part.

On the other hand, multiplayer Shadowrun.

This one loses me on two points:

Browser-based MMO.
Kickstarter MMO.

Dildo Malone
Sep 14, 2008

Rebel Blob posted:

The original was pretty cartoony when it could show off some graphics.

Yeah, they've got as valid a reason for going the cartoony route as I've ever seen. The old one was cartoony as hell and the cartoony route is cheap and easy which is good for a game that's got a fairly low budget and only a year and a half til release. It's a pretty big departure from the concept art but lol nobody cares about concept art.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I do not think anyone is upset about this derail or anything, since it is basically on-topic, but there a billion-page long Wasteland 2 Kickstarter thread that is also discussing this screenshot, and the thread writ large also has more information than you can possibly want on the original/sequel: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3471856

(I am not responsible for the current thread title)

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

yah keep in mind that for the alpha screenshot they're mostly using prefab art assets poached via the Unity toolset. They haven't created much in the way of unique stuff yet.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

redreader posted:

Holy poo poo.

Look at the update page, and look at their hostile response to someone who called them on their bullshit. They sound like a bunch of clowns.

Uh, that didn't seem that hostile at all.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Hah! Your World posted a new update.

quote:

Just wanted to give you an update. We have created two avatars. One is an alien and the other is what we are calling Dragon girl. She is an example of an avatar you will be able to create with this game. Go to our twitter page to see them.

https://twitter.com/yourworldinc

Thank you to those who have encouraged me to move forward!

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax
This isn't my world at all!

gently caress! Christ!

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
Dragon Girl looks suspiciously like a demoness model that he downloaded off of some site for free poser models.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Speaking of suspicious familiarity, that alien is looking awfully Star Trek.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SK0cUNMnMM

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Jefferoo posted:

gently caress! Christ!

Holy crap, Bestow got a job. Expect art assets on ogres and 'vials of dong slobber' in the near future.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Jefferoo posted:

gently caress! Christ!

That looks like Poser World to me.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Mordiceius posted:

Man, his budget layout is hilarious: http://www.yourworldinc.com/Exec_Page.php

He expects the entire game to be made in a year. Then it bleeds over into a second year, with 6 months of "balancing testers" and QA... but apparently with no programmers or designers on-staff at that point to implement any of that. :allears:

It also apparently runs itself from then on, with no need of any technical staff whatsoever. Lots of managers, though - I guess he'll manage his way through any technical hurdles.

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi
I wonder if he's bothered to include the Poser license in that budget.

Does anyone still have that picture of that "Hookerbot"?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Achmed Jones posted:

Holy crap, Bestow got a job. Expect art assets on ogres and 'vials of dong slobber' in the near future.

Who's Bestow again? Sounds familiar.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Mordiceius posted:

16 loving followers. 16.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

CommissarMega posted:

Who's Bestow again? Sounds familiar.

Bestow was the mastermind "ideas man" behind Crimson Haze, a crowdsourced MMORPG.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
This could have potential: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/iocainestudios/steam-bandits-outpost

The project lead describes it as "steampunk fantasy Animal Crossing meets Pokemon with airships and floating islands". It's free-to-play, with various pieces of flair you can buy as the monetization scheme.

The developers have some decent history, with a couple ex-Obsidian folks on there. Yeah, the soem of the art style makes it look like loving Farmville but they are pretty adamant that's not the case. They elaborate on that issue here: http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/wvzeh/i_was_the_lead_producer_on_the_fallout_new_vegas/c5hl9kp

Right now there's only the vaguest gameplay info out, but it looks like they might throw up another video focused on that to clear up the differences between this and a Zynga game.

I'm not sure about the tier rewards, either. I guess they're okay, but it really feels like it hurts the project to not be able to include a "pre-order" tier.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

XboxPants posted:

I'm not sure about the tier rewards, either. I guess they're okay, but it really feels like it hurts the project to not be able to include a "pre-order" tier.

The $30 tier seems to be the closest they have- it's F2P, so I guess 'pre-ordering' proper doesn't really apply. That said, it reminds me of Reccettear, and that's always a good thing!

Ephphatha posted:

Bestow was the mastermind "ideas man" behind Crimson Haze, a crowdsourced MMORPG.

Ahah, I remember him now!

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

XboxPants posted:

This could have potential: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/iocainestudios/steam-bandits-outpost

The project lead describes it as "steampunk fantasy Animal Crossing meets Pokemon with airships and floating islands". It's free-to-play, with various pieces of flair you can buy as the monetization scheme.

The developers have some decent history, with a couple ex-Obsidian folks on there. Yeah, the soem of the art style makes it look like loving Farmville but they are pretty adamant that's not the case. They elaborate on that issue here: http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/wvzeh/i_was_the_lead_producer_on_the_fallout_new_vegas/c5hl9kp

Right now there's only the vaguest gameplay info out, but it looks like they might throw up another video focused on that to clear up the differences between this and a Zynga game.

Regardless of the history of these guys, I don't think asking people to crowdfund your steampunk Farmville clone is at all an attractive proposition. And that's definitely what they're positioning it as. Putting up fake Farmville cash as your tier rewards is completely gross to me. If they don't want to be compared to a Zynga game they probably should have thought about making something that doesn't seem completely identical to one of those. gently caress this dumb thing. Everything about the way it's being presented seems like a complete scam.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Jul 22, 2012

Daryl Surat
Apr 6, 2002

I don't care what you say about this post, but if anyone steps on my bunion, I'll kill them!
With 6 hours, a little over $75K to go, and coming off the wake of PC gamers spending a ton of money on the Steam sale, the chances of Skyjacker meeting its goal feels slim. I went ahead and upped my pledge, but short of it getting a (now late-night) mention on the gaming news sites I don't know how a last wave of backers could suddenly find out about it.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

It's both. Good because Van Buren would have ruled and bad because the art style we saw was unfinished and bland.

Any sign of well, 'art'. It's really really generic. Compare it to the concept art, which was dripping with detail.

Yeah, that was enough to convince me to preorder it. I missed the DoubleFine, Wasteland 2, and Shadowrun kickstarters so that was a good reminder for me to pick it up.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

XboxPants posted:

The project lead describes it as "steampunk fantasy Animal Crossing meets Pokemon with airships and floating islands".

They lost me here. The bit where they say 'it's totally not like Farmville, we swear!' was just the muffled pleading as I walked away from the door.

Merry Magpie
Jan 8, 2012

A superstitious cowardly lot.

XboxPants posted:

This is Farmville with a Steampunk makeover. It is a Zynga game in all but name.

Jason Fader posted:

Looks at it like this, you'll build up your town by placing buildings, harvest resources (harvesting will take time, but while a building is harvesting, you can do other things like sending your captains out on missions, engage in trade, and visit your friend's outpost to see what cool things they've done), and eventually building more outposts to accrue more wealth.

Fader's description could work for virtually any Farmville clone. Simply substitute "outpost" and "captain" with the appropriate nouns.

The distinction he drew in his reply to you was that playtime would not be linked to any monetary system.

Jason Fader posted:

If you want to play for 12 hours non-stop, you can and there will be stuff to do without spending a dime."

While my heart goes out to the ex-Obsidian fellows, there is the rather glaring issue that I cannot imagine enjoying their game.

Even worse, they apparently misunderstand the genre itself. Time gates in casual games prevent players from burning out too swiftly. This becomes important because the core gameplay is shallow and repetitive. Removing time gates without providing adequate depth/content to compensate is equivalent to getting "involved in a land war in Asia."

particle409
Jan 15, 2008

Thou bootless clapper-clawed varlot!

Jefferoo posted:

gently caress! Christ!

From the twitter:

quote:

Your World Inc ‏@yourworldinc

@TristanStato at the moment we are under development. We have had talk about accepting bitcoins yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A surfing dog?!
Apr 23, 2006

XboxPants posted:

Steampunk and Pokemon? It's a good thing I'm 12 years old or I might have thought this was a stupid rear end idea