Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Be prepared to dust a lot. Chickens are dirty and produce a lot of dust off their feathers. I personally don't think keeping a chicken inside is a good idea. They need a place to scratch around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

Greycious posted:

Well, I can tell you that you should have at least two, no matter where you plan on keeping them.

I second this. Chickens are happier in a flock, so if you can get one or two more bantam chickens to keep her company, she'd be happy. If you think you can deal with the dust and mess from keeping chickens inside, then I guess it's ok. However, make sure she (hopefully they if you get more) really should have access to a yard since they are foragers, and having grass to scratch and dirt o bathe on would be ideal.

Edit: if you can't/won't get at least one more chicken to keep your chick company, then you will have to become its flock mate. Chickens are very social, they can get stressed out if they are isolated for long periods of time, and it might affect their behavior. Ideally there would always be somebody at home to keep the chicken company so it doesn't get lonely. It can be a pain, specially when you deal with baby chicks.

My first 3 chickens got imprinted with me when we got them and they'd peep non stop because they didn't want to stay in their brooder on their own. It was so annoying that my nieces asked me if I could keep them in my room, so I did. They drove me crazy with their peeping that I would just let them out of the brooder. They'd hand out under my desk chair, pooing right under my desk.

They eventually tried to jump on my lap and peep such a hearbreaking and pitiful peep that I ended up taking all three of them inside my hoodie while I was playing WoW or doing homework in my computer. They'd finally shut up and snuggle against my neck :3: and also poop against my neck :barf: It was gross, but it paid off in the end, since my chickens are very social, a bit skittish but easy to handle.

That's how me, a newbie at chicken keeping, handled my chicks. I'm a sucker for animals and tend to go beyond my own comfort in order to take care of my pets. You don't have to go as far as tucking a chick inside your shirt like I did, but still, do a Google search and asks us here in SA if you have any questions about chicken keeping. We just want you and your chick to be happy :D

Chido fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jul 22, 2012

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

Here's a cock:

That's Short Tail about a month ago, at 16 weeks. He shaping up to be a pretty roo. It's impossible to get a picture of him alone because he and the Easter Egger pullet I gave them spend almost all their time together even now (they've been living out at the farm since they were 8 weeks old). He's starting to romance the other ladies though.

And here's another egg:

This one was from Lucille. And we got confirmation that the first egg was from Maeby, since she laid another that look just the same as the first one about 2 hours after Lucille laid her egg. Two down, two to go.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Ceridwen posted:

Here's a cock:

That's Short Tail about a month ago, at 16 weeks. He shaping up to be a pretty roo. It's impossible to get a picture of him alone because he and the Easter Egger pullet I gave them spend almost all their time together even now (they've been living out at the farm since they were 8 weeks old). He's starting to romance the other ladies though.

And here's another egg:

This one was from Lucille. And we got confirmation that the first egg was from Maeby, since she laid another that look just the same as the first one about 2 hours after Lucille laid her egg. Two down, two to go.

Awww lookit the happy couple :3:. It's adorable when a hen and a cock hang out together all the time. Roo's bff is our white leghorn, Flake. She's at the bottom of the pecking order with the hens, but boy does she follow Roo everywhere and gets spoiled by him.

HeadcrabPie
Oct 6, 2009

Chido posted:

I second this. Chickens are happier in a flock, so if you can get one or two more bantam chickens to keep her company, she'd be happy. If you think you can deal with the dust and mess from keeping chickens inside, then I guess it's ok. However, make sure she (hopefully they if you get more) really should have access to a yard since they are foragers, and having grass to scratch and dirt o bathe on would be ideal.

Edit: if you can't/won't get at least one more chicken to keep your chick company, then you will have to become its flock mate. Chickens are very social, they can get stressed out if they are isolated for long periods of time, and it might affect their behavior. Ideally there would always be somebody at home to keep the chicken company so it doesn't get lonely. It can be a pain, specially when you deal with baby chicks.

My first 3 chickens got imprinted with me when we got them and they'd peep non stop because they didn't want to stay in their brooder on their own. It was so annoying that my nieces asked me if I could keep them in my room, so I did. They drove me crazy with their peeping that I would just let them out of the brooder. They'd hand out under my desk chair, pooing right under my desk.

They eventually tried to jump on my lap and peep such a hearbreaking and pitiful peep that I ended up taking all three of them inside my hoodie while I was playing WoW or doing homework in my computer. They'd finally shut up and snuggle against my neck :3: and also poop against my neck :barf: It was gross, but it paid off in the end, since my chickens are very social, a bit skittish but easy to handle.

That's how me, a newbie at chicken keeping, handled my chicks. I'm a sucker for animals and tend to go beyond my own comfort in order to take care of my pets. You don't have to go as far as tucking a chick inside your shirt like I did, but still, do a Google search and asks us here in SA if you have any questions about chicken keeping. We just want you and your chick to be happy :D

I'm definitely a sucker for animals too, haha. My dog owns the bed, I just sleep in it. I will see about getting another chick or two. I live in a very rural area of Texas, so she will definitely be able to get outside as much as she pleases, and hopefully cut down the drat grasshopper population. I'm not too worried about a mess either, as there are always dirty dogs or cats running in and out of the house. I'm quite used to messes by now. :argh:

Really, the only reason I was going to have just one is because there is someone home 95% of the time, and I'm not away much either. I figured I'd be able to keep it company most of the time. Still, I will see if I can get another. I did put a small mirror in with the chick for the time being, not sure if that will help, but it's something.

Also, it's being very quiet. Is this normal? When it's up and about eating and such it will make pretty continuous soft peeps, but sleeping quietly under the lamp seems to be its number one objective. How much should I handle it? Being only 5 days old, I try to leave it be for the most part to get used to its surroundings, but again I don't have much experience with birds.

I appreciate the responses. :)

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

HeadcrabPie posted:

Yesterday I went to pick up my new ball of fluff, a currently nameless Silkie!

I have some experience with chickens but it's been quite a while. Right now it's in a large plastic tub with pine shavings and an infrared lamp on one side (sitting around 90 degrees), stuffing its face like there's no tomorrow. He (she?) was hatched on the 18th of this month. :3:

This chick is going to be a housepet. A friend of mine has an indoor chicken who runs around with a chicken diaper, and turned me on to the idea.

Is there anything I should know beyond the basics? Do any of you have experience keeping an indoor chicken?

Also, beautiful chickens in this thread!

What a little cutie! I wonder what color she will turn out to be? Be sure and post update photos!

Definitely get one or two other chicks so that she'll have some chicken friends. Chickens (as are all birds) are flock animals and are really much happier if they have a one or two others to hang out with. They'll also watch each other's backs for predators (hawks) when they are out in the yard. Remember that silkies will have limited vision so they are in much more danger than regular chickens (that don't have head poufs).

Since you have other pets (dogs, cats) make sure the chicks are old enough before you let them near the other pets. We've had some bad experiences here with dogs killing chicks and young chickens (mainly due to jealousy).

SolanaSkyes
May 29, 2005

Things that upset a terrier may pass virtually unnoticed by a Great Dane.

HeadcrabPie posted:

Yesterday I went to pick up my new ball of fluff, a currently nameless Silkie!

I have some experience with chickens but it's been quite a while. Right now it's in a large plastic tub with pine shavings and an infrared lamp on one side (sitting around 90 degrees), stuffing its face like there's no tomorrow. He (she?) was hatched on the 18th of this month. :3:

This chick is going to be a housepet. A friend of mine has an indoor chicken who runs around with a chicken diaper, and turned me on to the idea.

Is there anything I should know beyond the basics? Do any of you have experience keeping an indoor chicken?

Also, beautiful chickens in this thread!

Your chick looks like it is a vaulted skull Silkie, so you may need to be a little more careful with her/him. Silkies really aren't good free range chickens. They're kinda delicate and once all their fluff grows in, they can't see that well. Also, since they can't fly at all, they're easy targets for predators. They do make some of the best pet chickens of any breed though.

I also live in rural TX and get those gigantic grasshoppers. The other day I saw a couple of the chickens (Easter Eggers) chase one down, peck it a few times, and then just stared at it as it hobbled around. The guineas ran over and snarfed it up... maybe my chickens are too well fed?? :saddowns:

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

SolanaSkyes posted:

I also live in rural TX and get those gigantic grasshoppers. The other day I saw a couple of the chickens (Easter Eggers) chase one down, peck it a few times, and then just stared at it as it hobbled around. The guineas ran over and snarfed it up... maybe my chickens are too well fed?? :saddowns:

That's because your chickens are not ghetto henhoes like mine. Even Roo has been ghettoed a bit. I was fliping some bricks in the backyard a few weeks ago for a bug hunt, and Megatron, a 3-4 pound hen, swalloed the biggest potato bug I've ever seen :smug:

HeadcrabPie
Oct 6, 2009

SolanaSkyes posted:

Your chick looks like it is a vaulted skull Silkie, so you may need to be a little more careful with her/him. Silkies really aren't good free range chickens. They're kinda delicate and once all their fluff grows in, they can't see that well. Also, since they can't fly at all, they're easy targets for predators. They do make some of the best pet chickens of any breed though.

Oh wow, I had no idea about the vaulted skull thing. I will definitely be careful around her head, thanks for the warning. :)

The flock of chickens I used to have gobbled up every grasshopper they could find around here, along with cicadas and the occasional tomato worm, which was absolute chicken riot material. It was so entertaining letting them out of their run for the day and watching them desperately waddle toward the tall grass in the field.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Ceridwen posted:

Here's a cock:

And here's another egg:

They grow up so fast. It seems like just yesterday you were posting cute pics of them in their box. That is the most intense blue I have ever seen in a chicken egg. It looks like a Tiffany’s box. That said, it seems like everything is uncommonly blue except your hand which is sort of hot pink. What color is your egg similar to? Is it like a robin egg?

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

:neckbeard: My chicks are being shipped today!

....Holy poo poo, my chicks are being shipped today! :ohdear:

Very excited, but also super worried/nervous/fretting! They called me this morning and said they didn't get as many golden wyandottes hatch today as they expected, and wanted to know if a substitute would be okay. So I went with silver wyandottes. No big deal, my little seabright is golden, so it works. I kind of wanted a b/w chicken anyways. :)

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Greycious posted:

:neckbeard: My chicks are being shipped today!

Very excited, but also super worried/nervous/fretting! They called me this morning and said they didn't get as many golden wyandottes hatch today as they expected, and wanted to know if a substitute would be okay. So I went with silver wyandottes. No big deal, my little seabright is golden, so it works. I kind of wanted a b/w chicken anyways. :)

ALL wyandottes are so pretty! Be sure and post pics when you get your chicks in. :)

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Nettle Soup, how's Christina doing? I hope she's recovering well.

Vaga42Bond
Apr 10, 2009

Die Essensrationen wurden verdoppelt!
Die Anzahl der Torpedos wurde verdoppelt!
Someone posted this "thing" in the ChickAM thread... I thought it might be fitting the chicken thread too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yO7MWuJ7zLA

:psyduck:

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004

Zeta Taskforce posted:

They grow up so fast. It seems like just yesterday you were posting cute pics of them in their box. That is the most intense blue I have ever seen in a chicken egg. It looks like a Tiffany’s box. That said, it seems like everything is uncommonly blue except your hand which is sort of hot pink. What color is your egg similar to? Is it like a robin egg?

Weird. The colors do tend to be a bit off when I take pics with my phone but my hand isn't anywhere near that pink on my screen. It's not quite as blue as a robins egg (depending on which picture of a robins egg you are looking at anyway).

Here are a couple more pics to give you a better idea:

The one I posted before is a bit more saturated than real life, these two are a bit more washed out than real life. So reality is somewhere in between. It's much more blue than I expected it to be though!

Greycious: Sorry you aren't getting your gold wyandottes but I really do like my silver. Hopefully you'll be happy with them!

And of course, here are some more pictures of a cock:

At 20 weeks he's looking awfully grown up. And the ladies are following him around everywhere now.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Ceridwen posted:

Weird. The colors do tend to be a bit off when I take pics with my phone but my hand isn't anywhere near that pink on my screen. It's not quite as blue as a robins egg (depending on which picture of a robins egg you are looking at anyway).

Here are a couple more pics to give you a better idea:

The one I posted before is a bit more saturated than real life, these two are a bit more washed out than real life. So reality is somewhere in between. It's much more blue than I expected it to be though!

Greycious: Sorry you aren't getting your gold wyandottes but I really do like my silver. Hopefully you'll be happy with them!

And of course, here are some more pictures of a cock:

At 20 weeks he's looking awfully grown up. And the ladies are following him around everywhere now.

He's such a pretty cock :swoon: I love his coloring!

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004

Chido posted:

He's such a pretty cock :swoon: I love his coloring!

Yeah, he's really gotten handsome. Especially compared to how goofy he looked during the first couple of months.

Even though all the hens follow him around now, they still shoo him away if he tries to eat out of the feeder before them. He has to wait until last.

No eggs yesterday but Maeby laid her 3rd egg this morning, so we've had 4 eggs in 4 days now! Is it normal that the other hens sing the egg song for her? Neither of the ones who are laying sing, but Beatrice and Chloe-belle (who have yet to lay) stand outside the coop going nuts doing the egg song whenever Lucille or Maeby are in the coop preparing to lay. And how long does it take for the eggs to reach full size?

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya
Just spent the weekend reading through this thread, and then going on backyardchickens.com to look at coop designs--even though I live in an apt and won't be able to have chickens right now.

SF allows 4 animals and though I have 2 cats I think can probably get away with 3 hens. One day when I have a house... :neckbeard:

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

:neckbeard: Chickies!!!

Will get better pictures tomorrow after they have settled in.. :)

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Greycious posted:

:neckbeard: Chickies!!!

Will get better pictures tomorrow after they have settled in.. :)

Hahaaa! Yay! What types of chicks did you get? And yes, please post more photos! :3:

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.
How do chickens get along with cats? I have an outdoor cat who s always grining in birds and rodents. I assume that full grown chickens wouldn't be in much danger but what about chicks?

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Inveigle posted:

Hahaaa! Yay! What types of chicks did you get? And yes, please post more photos! :3:

2 White rocks
2 Buff Orpington
3 Silver laced wyandottes
1 Golden seabright bantam, that already is practically dancing across the heads of the other chicks as it runs around. :3:

I'll most likely only keep 4-5. I ordered extra in case of losses. And the bantam became available well after my original order, but I really really really wanted one!

hypoallergenic cat breed
Dec 16, 2010

Beardless posted:

How do chickens get along with cats? I have an outdoor cat who s always grining in birds and rodents. I assume that full grown chickens wouldn't be in much danger but what about chicks?

I would be careful with little chicks, they're defenceless. Then again, it all depends on your cat's personality. My full grown chickens terrify my cat and will run after her if she gets too close but my baby chicks really interest her. I just keep them in a enclosed run until they're big enough.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small
Greycious - which hatchery did you order your chicks from?

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Beardless posted:

I wouldn't trust cats, especially with chicks. The cats were interested in the chicks when they'd have their outside time and we never left them alone.

The beagle dog was a completely different story. He seemed to sense the chicks needed protection and he would guard them and run the cats off if they got too close.

Every pet is different, so just be careful.

Now that the chickens are full grown, most of the cats have lost interest. The chickens aren't afraid of them at all. The cats routinely kill red squirrels so I still don't take any chances and the chickens are well protected.

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

piscesbobbie posted:

Greycious - which hatchery did you order your chicks from?

I ordered mine through mypetchicken.com

Customer service was pretty awesome. Chicks arrived healthy and all alive and wonderful.

My only issue is their shipping costs...I paid for 2-day shipping on their website. However, they were sent USPS express which is overnight (which all live chick orders under 15 birds is sent)

What was stopping me from choosing priority and saving a bunch of $$? Also, I've shipped live animals through USPS before (reptiles) and I know it doesn't cost as much as I paid to ship overnight from one state over...so that has me all kinds of confused.

Maybe live chicks cost more.

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Sorry to double post, but I took some more chick pictures earlier. I couldn't help myself.

White rock sporting its egg tooth. The camera doesn't capture how pale yet BRIGHT their yellow fluff is, especially on their neck/back. It is so cute.

Wyandotte :3:

I think this thing has the funniest face/head. It has like...brow fluff. And friar tuck head fluff.

PEEP! PEEEP!

And...I'm already getting really attached to this one
The seabright bantam:

At one point I touched its head when she was sitting in my lap and she immediately nuzzled her head against my hand, huddled close against it and closed her eyes :3: :swoon:
I about died.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

The babies are ADORABLE! Thank you for sharing your photos!

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Greycious posted:

Sorry to double post, but I took some more chick pictures earlier. I couldn't help myself.

At one point I touched its head when she was sitting in my lap and she immediately nuzzled her head against my hand, huddled close against it and closed her eyes :3: :swoon:
I about died.

D'awwww. How sweet! :3:

Don't be sorry about posting photos of adorable chicks! You can never post too many photos! We can't get enough! :D

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Greycious posted:

I ordered mine through mypetchicken.com

Customer service was pretty awesome. Chicks arrived healthy and all alive and wonderful.

My only issue is their shipping costs...I paid for 2-day shipping on their website. However, they were sent USPS express which is overnight (which all live chick orders under 15 birds is sent)

What was stopping me from choosing priority and saving a bunch of $$? Also, I've shipped live animals through USPS before (reptiles) and I know it doesn't cost as much as I paid to ship overnight from one state over...so that has me all kinds of confused.

Maybe live chicks cost more.

I'm getting mine from there too. I'm glad you had a positive experience with them. I decided to order 16 which ended up being practically the same price as ordering 8. I figured I could sell a few extras, plus my luck I would get a few roos. Is this how chicken math starts?

I agree shipping is sort of steep, but I'm inclined to give them the benefit of doubt. New born baby chicks probably are more delicate and depend on each other for warmth. Reptiles being cold blooded just move slower if they get cold.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

I went to My Pet Chicken - they also sell juvenile pullets! Something to think about! Although, the baby chick phase is oh so cute!

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Zeta Taskforce posted:

I'm getting mine from there too. I'm glad you had a positive experience with them. I decided to order 16 which ended up being practically the same price as ordering 8. I figured I could sell a few extras, plus my luck I would get a few roos. Is this how chicken math starts?

Yep. I said at one point that 3 chickens was the limit. Then we got Roostroyer. Then we caught Dust. THEN we bought Spaghetti and Flake at the feed store... to yet then again we caught and kept Turkey and tissue... and I ordered 4 more large breed chicks from MPC. We're gonna have 12 chickens in total by the end of the year most likely @_@.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Chido, you make me laugh - the darn chicken math!

MPC has Lavender Orpington pullets - How pretty would that be! Oh, and Barnevelder pullets!

piscesbobbie fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jul 25, 2012

Ghost-Slug
Feb 21, 2011

Feeding Tigrex
one Hunter at a time

Lipstick Apathy
Ceridwen, your roo is gorgeous! Wynadottes are such pretty birds.

Greycious, those chick pics are adorable. I love how the white markings on the first wynadotte make it look so grumpy. :3: I'm pretty glad that I haven't found anything like MyPetChicken for the UK because it would be far too tempting to buy more!

Updating on our flock, the apple cider vinegar tonic and the dry sunny weather seems to have perked Jojo up a bit. She still has the cough but it is not as bad and we are hoping that she will continue to improve. Also, Yasha laid a monster egg! I will have to take a picture because it is hilariously big compared to her normal eggs (and especially Noodle's!).

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
I just have to say as someone who has a lot of experience with USPS, I would definitely NOT prefer my live chicks be sent Priority Mail. The dirty little secret that they don't tell you is that the 2-3 days is not a guarantee, just an "expected time of arrival". Priority mail is really just first-class mail- any package over 14 ounces that's sent first class is automatically priority. They ship priority in the same fashion as all the other first-class mail, it just gets a special bin in the post office and on the trucks. Express, on the other hand (while exorbitantly expensive) is a guaranteed next-day air mail that gets handled completely separate from the glut of first-class.

In chicken related news, City of Richmond is having a proposal before the council this month to change the regulations on backyard chickens. I'm really hoping it passes because then hopefully my county will realize they're the only one in the entire central VA tri-city area with their heads in their asses about backyard poultry.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

^^^I hear you, but I think I should get away with it. MPC is in Connecticut and the post office considers New England to be one zone. Most regular first class mail sent anywhere in New England to anywhere else in New England almost always arrives the next day.

Chido posted:

Yep. I said at one point that 3 chickens was the limit. Then we got Roostroyer. Then we caught Dust. THEN we bought Spaghetti and Flake at the feed store... to yet then again we caught and kept Turkey and tissue... and I ordered 4 more large breed chicks from MPC. We're gonna have 12 chickens in total by the end of the year most likely @_@.

I promise that I will sell the ones I don’t want.

….unless someone knows someone in Boston with an extra Olive Egger or Lavender Orpington, I would soooo trade.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

It turns out Janet is a very curious hen and decided to investigate the open back door today.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Geokinesis posted:

It turns out Janet is a very curious hen and decided to investigate the open back door today.

At least she's wiping her feet on the mat first! :)

Tim Jong-un
Aug 22, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

This batch of cochins now nearly 2 weeks older! I dont think ive mentioned that all the blue/black/splash babys in this hatch are from one pair of blue birds,the whites are the only ones not from them in these latest pictures.

White pullet that ive decided to name Squash. He mother is named Pepper and all birds ive gotten from her are named after different vegetables(pullets) or peppers(cockerels).

Splash cockerel thats now named B.P. Richfield since hes the boss and also a little jerk.

Splash pullets

Blue cockerels

Blue pullets

Black pullet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Tim the Enchanter posted:

Splash cockerel thats now named B.P. Richfield since hes the boss and also a little jerk.

Haha! B.P. Richfield may be a jerk, but he's a very handsome jerk! Love his coloring and he's got a really nice-looking comb!

Thanks for posting more pics, Tim. You have the prettiest chickens! :)