Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Budget Dracula
Jun 6, 2007

Yeah I re-measured it at 24.5in. I think I will go with the 10/180's for this setup because I mainly want it for cruising. If I decide to get into downhill (which will be pretty far off) I'll probably just put a new ride together. Thanks for all the tips!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
I'd actually go with the narrower trucks then. You'll get a bit more response and narrower trucks are nicer for carving since you have more leverage, imo. Also less wheel overhang which is always nice.
Thats a good size though, and with 50* trucks you'll get plenty of turn and wheelbite should be easy to avoid

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Won 8 sets of Blood Orange bushings on Facebook today. 2 barrels and 2 cones each of 85a, 88a, 90a, and 93a :toot:

Business
Feb 6, 2007

ಠ_ಠ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHrn3-Cb3iM

Business
Feb 6, 2007

I keep eating poo poo on rock to fakies. I make a good number of them but I can't seem to get consistent. It's just really hard to figure out where I'm supposed to have my weight so I don't slide out. Any advice for these, or perhaps a way to learn them without bailing really hard when I do gently caress up?

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Business posted:

I keep eating poo poo on rock to fakies. I make a good number of them but I can't seem to get consistent. It's just really hard to figure out where I'm supposed to have my weight so I don't slide out. Any advice for these, or perhaps a way to learn them without bailing really hard when I do gently caress up?

Find smaller ramps. Even try it on funboxes, just to get used to stopping and rolling down switch.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Business posted:

Can you describe how your sliding out, which direction etc.?

What helped me with rock to fakies (and with fakie disasters) is starting out just lifting the front trucks off the transition when getting close to the lip and then simply putting them back down. Kind of like a little manual or a kick turn without the turn. You can start below the lip but eventually try to get your front trucks above the lip so that you are doing the rock to fakie without the rock part. This helps you get comfortable coming back in fakie.

After that you just have to start committing to the rock part. You don't want to barely squeak your front trucks onto the platform because that gives you a shorter amount of time before your momentum is bringing you back in. You'll hang up more doing squeakers. You want to get the trucks over the lip and push down against/past the lip with your front foot so that the board actually does the rock. You want the coping/lip to be under the middle of your deck. So you push/lean forward, the board will rock on the coping and then you have to bring it back in by letting off the front and leaning back a bit until you clear the coping on your way down. This is where the practice exercise above comes in.

It's a bit counter intuitive but the fakie rock doesn't lend itself to doing half assed. The momentum that is used to come back out cleanly is created by the stall of the actual 'rock'. Your board needs to rock forward on the coping or else it will always be quick and sketchy. A good fakie rock has 3 distinct sounds. The first is your board hitting the coping while your rock it forward. The second is the back wheels hitting the transition at the end of the rock. The third is your front wheels touching down.

Don't get discouraged, try it on a smaller ramp if possible or bank ramps like XIII mentioned, over and over. That being said I know a guy that rips hard who doesn't do fakie rocks anymore because of his last experience with one.

UFOTacoMan fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jun 18, 2012

ZanderZ
Apr 7, 2011

by T. Mascis
Is the OP still around to edit the OP? Sorry, but it's really lacking in information. He didn't include anything about equipment, safety, customization, etc. There's no information about which trucks you should pick for which board, wheel info, etc. The last thing I want is someone getting horrible wheel bite, because they accidentally bought 45 degree truck angles for a wide board with no risers.

I'm really sorry to be critical and this post is definitely gonna come across as dickish, but I'm posting about downhill skateboarding in the weed thread, because it yields more results than a post here.

donJonSwan posted:

Skateboarding isn't just for 12 year old kids in California, it's a full body workout that is just as rewarding (although not as profitable for the professionals) as any other sport out there.

Yea, this is pretty obvious considering how massive the industry is both from a product and marketing standpoint.

donJonSwan posted:

Best place to buy a board?

Your local skateshop. Do your part and support the little guys. Skateboarding isn't the corporate monster it used to be in the late 80's to mid 90's, when you buy a board from a local shop you're supporting local skate culture.

Don't have a local skateshop to buy a board from? Check out fellow goon Rygar's online shop.

Good start here. I totally agree with supporting local skate shops, but not every local skate shop is a good one or has a large selection. Muirskate has a great interface for building your own board and they have fantastic deals. Just because skate companies have a website and a means of shipping doesn't make them any less community based. Earthwing skateboards is located in Brooklyn, New York. They have a website and means of shipping. Despite them being a moderate to large sized company, they still host slide jams, parties and push races.

donJonSwan posted:

What type of board should I buy?

There are so many choices out there it can be intimidating, and they're not all the same. It totally depends on the type of riding you plan on doing. Don't let the 16 year old at the shop talk you into a 7.75" board if you're a 225 pound dude, you'll need something bigger - at least to start on. Describe what you're looking for in this thread and I, or anyone else who is into skating will be able to help you out.

I've been skating on and off for my entire life, I'm not professional, and I'm not really that great - but I do know a lot about pretty much every type of skating out there. Lets use this thread to discuss equipment, skate spots, trick tips and just to spread the stoke.

You either didn't put fourth any effort into this, or you don't know much about skateboards. Come on man, you left out...

Decks
-Length
-Wheelbase
-Concave
-Kicktail(s)
-Wheel flairs
-Grip tape
-Foot stops

Trucks
-Truck angles
-Hanger width
-Bushings
-Risers

Wheels
-Diameter
-Duro
-Width
-Centerset/Offset/Sideset
-Rounded vs Sharp lips
-Thane formulas (Not the literal scientific formula, just the fact that companies sometimes play with formulas when they release a new set of wheels)
-Barrings (Sealed/non sealed & barring spacers)

Zigmidge posted:

Without spacers you can't crank down the nuts which means you'll have a lot of lateral motion between the wheels, bearings, axle and nuts which manifests as "chatter" when you slide as well as an outlet for energy that may build up if you're going fast enough (otherwise known as speed wobbles). When you have spacers you can also tighten the nuts as hard as you can make it without damaging the inner race of your bearings.

For street, spacers are irrelevant.

Safety
-Equipment (Wear a helmet for gently caress sake)
-Don't skate what you can't see
-Skills you can learn to ride more safely (Speed checks/180s/colemans/predrifts/standups)
-Having a first aid kit in the car
-Respecting spots and the community: Not leaving trash, not loitering around, minding pedestrians, staying in your lane, smile/wave rule, being a nomad vs a camper, basically not being a kook/poser.

Don't Blow the Spot
Skate, Don't Die

Is there anything we/I can do about this in order to provide more information? OPs are usually extremely through, hover I feel that this one just gives a small outline of skateboarding. I'd be willing to create a new thread or provide better OP content if it's an available option. I know this is sounding bias towards long boarding/downhill/downhill freeride, but there's no difference when it comes to boards. You can totally bomb a hill on a double kick deck. Probably be better to throw some softer wheels on it, but still, it's all preference based.

Telling someone which board to buy is like telling someone which color is best. It's all opinion based and all you can really do is provide the information.

ZanderZ fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jul 18, 2012

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate
Knock yourself out if you want to make a new thread. In nearly 60 pages of posts, and a gold rating you're the first dude to give a poo poo.

What you ride doesn't loving matter, loading up some poor new bastard with all that bullshit isn't going to do anything to get them onto a board. Just loving buy wood and ride it until you die. Net-skaters can load up on all that spergy gearhead poo poo on Silverfish.

Edit: removing snarky insult.

donJonSwan fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jul 18, 2012

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

donJonSwan posted:

Knock yourself out if you want to make a new thread. In nearly 60 pages of posts, and a gold rating you're the first dude to give a poo poo.

What you ride doesn't loving matter, loading up some poor new bastard with all that bullshit isn't going to do anything to get them onto a board. Just loving buy wood and ride it until you die. Net-skaters can load up on all that spergy gearhead poo poo on Silverfish.

Edit: removing snarky insult.

No, please, go on! It's refreshing to see more silverfish hate. Gearhead talk is the bane of the longboarding world.

If we're talking about changing the OP, you should put this in italics right at the top:
It's not the board, it's the rider.

And this is coming from a guy who builds, designs and teaches board building for a living.

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate
Well gently caress it, might as well put it out there. I think this dude is an idiot (based on his rap sheet, and pretentious attitude), and in my opinion his suggestions read like kook.txt.

I've updated the OP to reflect Zigmidge's expert opinion on buying a board.

I'm honestly stoked that in my 25 years of skating (started when I was 5), I have never met anyone who asked me about the angle of my trucks, or said the word "thane" in reference to wheels.

...and I genuinely hope that ALL new skaters get wheelbite and eat poo poo. It's loving part of the game.

McFoxigator
Jun 13, 2011

Life is full of twicky decisions...

ZanderZ posted:

I'm really sorry to be critical and this post is definitely gonna come across as dickish, but I'm posting about downhill skateboarding in the weed thread, because it yields more results than a post here.

If you have to preface something with "this post is definitely gonna come across as dickish" you should probably rethink what you're about to post since that's a pretty good sign that you might be about to say something "dickish."

I agree with donJonSwan. I learned to skate by skating, not reading about it on the internet. And every scar and broken bone is just part of learning. I have a friend who shreds downhill like no other and one of his boards is something he made out of a steel couch frame/chassis. He pretty much just cut it into a rectangle and threw hardware on it. gently caress gear. gently caress silverfish twits. It's how you ride, not what you ride.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

These are good links though. There are a lot of dumb kids trying to bring the 90s punk attitude into the world of DH now that longboarding is blowing up. It's only going to result in older people like myself who rely on being courteous, safe and polite with locals to skate spots getting kicked out or having my sport banned altogether when a bunch of helmetless skate rats splatter their low-functioning brains all over the hood of some car.

Zigmidge fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jul 19, 2012

Budget Dracula
Jun 6, 2007

I am having fun riding my Churchill long-board to work everyday. I bought a helmet and have only fallen off once. I think I should have reconsidered my setup though, after realizing how much speed you can pick up just going down small gradual hills.

Also, my town is full of traffic lights/stop signs and our gardening crew at work is always leaving their hoses all over the sidewalks. :downs:

ZanderZ
Apr 7, 2011

by T. Mascis

donJonSwan posted:

...and I genuinely hope that ALL new skaters get wheelbite and eat poo poo. It's loving part of the game.

That's nice of you. What if some new skater buys a board, gets trucks that are angled too low and the wheels bite on slight turns, making it impossible to ride? Then they don't even wanna bother skating again. This is like some sort of elitist online gamer community mentality. Sure they might be inexperienced, but that would really suck if they got the wrong equipment and literally couldn't use it.

I mean yea, obviously it's the rider, not the board, but being educated about what you're buying isn't a bad thing. Like I said, there are instances in which you can buy trucks angled too low, which could cause you to get wheel bite on every turn. That would be a completely legitimate "blame the equipment" scenario. Likewise for wheels that are too big/wide.

"Don't be a spergy gear head, just go out and buy whatever." is terrible advice. Do some basic research for gently caress sake, this applies to all purchases that are moderately pricy.

As far as Silverfish is concerned, I dislike Silverfish, because a lot of people review stuff after using it for an hour. Not because the site contains detailed information. Calling a skater who knows what the parts to his boards do a "gear head" is like calling someone who knows about computer parts a "nerd." I mean sure, it's bad to blame your inability to do tricks on your parts, but it's not a bad thing to know about what each part does and how it effects the overall setup.

Fooling around with different parts and setups is a lot of fun. Certain parts can change the entire feel of the way you ride. There's nothing wrong with knowing enough to be able to buy some diverse parts and be able to switch stuff in order to get exactly what you want.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. You sound like a street skater, so parts don't matter nearly as much to you. If you're looking to get into downhill and/or buy a longboard, your words couldn't be farther from the truth.

FoxxorTheRed posted:

I agree with donJonSwan. I learned to skate by skating, not reading about it on the internet.

Obviously it's true, but you're reading about it on the internet right now. Internet = good for information. Real world = good for practice.

ZanderZ fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jul 23, 2012

McFoxigator
Jun 13, 2011

ZanderZ posted:

Obviously it's true, but you're reading about it on the internet right now. Internet = good for information. Real world = good for practice.
I see you know how the internet works! :golfclap:

In other news, I'd like to add some content because it's a lot better than bickering.

Tony Hawk tweeted about this guy a few times and I think he's incredibly creative and throws down some interesting tricks. I've done some digging and seen a few videos but have yet to come up with a name so apologies about that folks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qMUXPRTx-k

I'd love to find some places to try some of this stuff.

Budget Dracula posted:

I am having fun riding my Churchill long-board to work everyday. I bought a helmet and have only fallen off once. I think I should have reconsidered my setup though, after realizing how much speed you can pick up just going down small gradual hills.

Also, my town is full of traffic lights/stop signs and our gardening crew at work is always leaving their hoses all over the sidewalks. :downs:

Churchill's are supposedly pretty good. One of the guys in my club just bought one I believe. He also picked up a Landyachts Dinghy which is is going to modify into a replica of some 70's G&S model that Peralta rode. I'm pretty excited to see how that turns out.

McFoxigator fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jul 23, 2012

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!

ZanderZ posted:

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. You sound like a street skater, so parts don't matter nearly as much to you. If you're looking to get into downhill and/or buy a longboard, your words couldn't be farther from the truth.

This! Of course this stuff is important if you're on a longboard! There's a reason people on longboards use helmets and poo poo.

Street skating on the other hand... I skate every day and I'm good enough to frontside flip 7 steps or so, but I have no idea what brand or size of trucks or wheels I've got, even though I bought them myself! I remember my board is 5boro because it said 5boro underneath long enough to make me remember, but I don't know the size or shape. I can't remember the last time I ever discussed brands or was asked what kind of trucks I've got.

EDIT: EQUIPMENT TIP NUMBER ONE FOR STREET SKATERS: If there is a good sale on skate shoes, BUY AS MANY AS YOU CAN! When I'm skating every day, my shoes only last two weeks before my feet are bleeding, and it's loving ruining my wallet.

Greenplastic fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Jul 25, 2012

Budget Dracula
Jun 6, 2007

FoxxorTheRed posted:

Churchill's are supposedly pretty good. One of the guys in my club just bought one I believe.

Yeah it is fun. I haven't had any problems with it but I am still trying to get a setup that I am comfortable with. I made the mistake of speeding down a fairly long hill just after loosening my trucks up for carving.

As the wobbles crept on I just had a mental image of that fat Youtube guy flying off into a cornfield going through my head. I suppose it was good experience to have in a controlled environment with grass to bail in rather than zing off into traffic.

McFoxigator
Jun 13, 2011

Budget Dracula posted:

Yeah it is fun. I haven't had any problems with it but I am still trying to get a setup that I am comfortable with. I made the mistake of speeding down a fairly long hill just after loosening my trucks up for carving.

As the wobbles crept on I just had a mental image of that fat Youtube guy flying off into a cornfield going through my head. I suppose it was good experience to have in a controlled environment with grass to bail in rather than zing off into traffic.

Practice in a controlled environment is definitely a good thing. I have a huge hill for practicing downhill that's all grass on both sides and no traffic. It's a huge confidence booster and that extra safe feeling helps you to have the guts to try out new things.

As for wobbles, one of the guys in my club who pretty much taught me everything I can do, once told me that wobbles are all in your head and only happen because you lose focus and your balance gets thrown off. Naturally they're not all in your head as tight trucks certainly wobble less than insanely loose ones, and there's a point where they're so loose all the confidence in the world won't save your soul from the pavement; but since being told this I haven't had the wobbles once. Whenever I start to feel them coming on I just hunker down and fix my footing/balance and get the board under control. I don't know if this works for everyone since it's pseudo science/mind over matter stuff but it worked for me. :shrug:

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

If you're getting wobbles, get lower on your front trucks. You want as much weight as possible on the front.The easy way to deal with wobbles is to remember to bend your lead knee when they start happening.

Really though, go buy some knee, elbow and butt pads and just throw yourself down a hill. You won't know how to deal with them unless you eat some poo poo on the way.

McFoxigator
Jun 13, 2011

Zigmidge posted:

If you're getting wobbles, get lower on your front trucks. You want as much weight as possible on the front.The easy way to deal with wobbles is to remember to bend your lead knee when they start happening.

Really though, go buy some knee, elbow and butt pads and just throw yourself down a hill. You won't know how to deal with them unless you eat some poo poo on the way.

I've never heard that front truck tip but it makes sense since they always seem easier to control in a tuck.

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!

Budget Dracula posted:

As the wobbles crept on I just had a mental image of that fat Youtube guy flying off into a cornfield going through my head.

Ooh, could you post this? Hall of Meat mothafuckaaaa!

Budget Dracula
Jun 6, 2007

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gu23ey-Q8zU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Greenplastic posted:

EDIT: EQUIPMENT TIP NUMBER ONE FOR STREET SKATERS: If there is a good sale on skate shoes, BUY AS MANY AS YOU CAN! When I'm skating every day, my shoes only last two weeks before my feet are bleeding, and it's loving ruining my wallet.

I just load up at the Vans outlet near me. 2 pairs for $50 lasts me a few months.

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!

Bucket Joneses posted:

I just load up at the Vans outlet near me. 2 pairs for $50 lasts me a few months.

I love Vans, but I had to change to brands with more padding because I hurt my feet all the time :(

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

2 pairs for 50$? gently caress does Canada suck sometimes...

That'll get me one pair if I can find a sale.

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate
If you're lucky enough to wear sample sizes (9, 9.5) you can get crazy deals from factory warehouse sales.

I'm not sure if these types of sample sales are restricted to the SoCal area or whatever, but I was able to pick up about 10 pairs of Lakai's for under 100 bucks.

Amazon has some great deals on shoes every now and then too.

donJonSwan fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jul 26, 2012

McFoxigator
Jun 13, 2011

Bucket Joneses posted:

Vans outlets are glorious. The one by me has buy one/get one half off sales pretty much every day. And it applies to the closeout rack. It's insanely cheap.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
Do the Vans outlets ever have deals on Half Cab Pros? Just curious.

McFoxigator
Jun 13, 2011

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

Do the Vans outlets ever have deals on Half Cab Pros? Just curious.

The one by me usually doesn't unfortunately. Regular Half Cabs yes, but not usually the pros. I've gotten Pro Slip Ons and Pro Eras on sale though.

coeur de pirate
Sep 7, 2011
So what's the consensus on penny boards and the like?

Seems like a nice compact board to go to and from class, but I'm not sure if the pros outweigh the benefits.

McFoxigator
Jun 13, 2011

coeur de pirate posted:

Seems like a nice compact board to go to and from class, but I'm not sure if the pros outweigh the benefits.

I've been thinking of trying one for a while now. They seem well made and all but they just strike me as pricey for what they are.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Penny boards are absurd amounts of fun for what they are and if you're weighing cost benefit ratios for a plastic mini, you don't get 'it' and probably wouldn't enjoy it anyways.

Serious answer: troll kijiji and craigslist for restored plastic minis from the 80s or buy an old one and restore it yourself. I have a friend who restores old plastic skateboards and she finds them for anywhere from 5$ at a garage sale to 200 at antique shops. 120+ is really expensive for something you aren't sure you'll have fun with.

I found an old cherry mini at an antique store that was really beat up, got it for 20$!

Minis own

coeur de pirate
Sep 7, 2011
More interested if the 23" size adds any unnecessary difficulty to pick up and ride.
I haven't skated since i was 11-12, but now I'm looking back at skateboarding for cruising, commuting, and basic sidewalk fuckery.

Not too worried about price since they are pretty cheap new if you look around. I've already impulse bought a penny killer just for shits and giggles.

Also, what are the trade offs for choosing a bamboo deck over standard maple?

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

I still can't recommend getting Ice Cream shoes for skating, the rubber toe cap means the shoes last for-loving-ever and they grip the board awesomely even if they do look garish as gently caress.

coeur de pirate posted:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Retro-Plast...=item1e70a22983

If you can't be bothered rebuilding an old school $20 board, there's ebay sellers that have new completes for like $60 with shipping. I'll eventually get one because they just look fun as gently caress and nobody in my area gets rid of old plastic boards :(

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

coeur de pirate posted:

A buddy that came to get tattooed today had a Penny board with him that he just picked up, so I rolled around on it in the shop and out back while he was in the chair. Holy gently caress do I want one now!!

coeur de pirate
Sep 7, 2011
I've actually ordered and received my board since my last post. If you're in the market for a 23" board, check out http://www.churchillmfg.com/store/

I ended up going for the Penny Killer because I wasn't too sold on plastic neon colored decks and wanted something a bit closer to a real board for $65.

They do carry their own plastic board if you do like that that look. Apparently they get the decks from the same factory that manufactures penny (or was it stereo?) boards, only they stick their own wheels and trucks on it, which goes for $50.

Just thought I'd try to save someone some research time.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

FoxxorTheRed posted:

He also picked up a Landyachts Dinghy which is is going to modify into a replica of some 70's G&S model that Peralta rode. I'm pretty excited to see how that turns out.

Before he ruins a perfectly fun little mini, you should let him know that G&S still makes Warptail and Peralta Warptail 2 reissues that are identical to the originals

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
I use my skateboard as primarily a means of transportation, but I do a couple of street tricks and my love is for skating pools/bowls. These days you don't really come across a whole ton of pool or vert skaters because it's so easy and accessible to be a street skater.

Still can't frontside carve though (back to the bottom of the bowl). I ride regular and it's still really awkward. Did a split the other day after I lost speed, tried to put my feet down and one landed on the concrete and the other landed on the skateboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McFoxigator
Jun 13, 2011

Horizontal Tree posted:

Before he ruins a perfectly fun little mini, you should let him know that G&S still makes Warptail and Peralta Warptail 2 reissues that are identical to the originals

Thanks, I'll let him know. I s'pose he didn't do much research. I don't think he planned on modifying much about it anyways though. The dinghy is a great deck.