Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
God drat AmaHaramufuji. That was awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Wow, Day 12 was pretty excellent. Harumafuji is just throwing everyone around. My favorite win of the day probably came from Aminishiki's edge of the ring throw.

Edit: But there were plenty of good matches today.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
This thread makes me happy, I used to watch a ton of sumo back when Akebono was around, but then sort of forgot it existed. This has rekindled my interest.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Scipiotik posted:

This thread makes me happy, I used to watch a ton of sumo back when Akebono was around, but then sort of forgot it existed. This has rekindled my interest.

You should check out Araibira's youtube channel. He uploaded these TV programs of archived sumo matches. Starts in like 1936 and goes to fairly recently. I'm trying to make my way through them but I've only watched a couple of them. Anyway if you want to relive some memories, there's a couple episodes on 90s sumo.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLC45B282804264895&feature=plcp

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.
Day 13:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBg8Vkxalzw

Comments for you to not read until after you watch: The last match certainly looked epic, but look again. I have to agree with what the announcers said afterwards: there really wasn't any point where Hakuho was actually in danger of losing. It was long, but it wasn't a close match at all.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Why indeed. Even before this tournament, I always felt the most frustrating aspect of Aran's henkas was that he's good enough that he doesn't need to rely on that.

Tomorrow: Harumafuji vs. Kotooshu and Hakuho vs. Kisenosato (full list)

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.
gently caress henkas. Goddamnit what a poo poo way to win.

Also, agreed on the final match. It may have looked good to the crowd, but I never saw much in it aside from Baruto obviously panicking since he couldn't find leverage anywhere he turned and Hakuho just had to wait for him to try something desperate, which he did.

But goddamn Harumafuji is on fire. I honestly expect him to take the cup. I just can't see him losing with his current momentum and form. But, I've said that about Baruto before and well, history speaks for itself.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Just Winging It posted:

Realistically speaking, with the level of sumo he's displaying Harumafuji is the only ozeki that has a shot to make it to yokozuna. I don't think his age is the biggest hurdle that's going to keep him from getting there though, I just really doubt whether or not he'll be able to win two basho's in a row as long as Hakuho is around. Having said that, with his current form, this basho presents a golden opportunity to get at least that first win and if he has any serious ambitions towards promotion he really should seize it.

He might not get 2 in a row, but he can absolutely take another route that has been taken before... in a span of 3 tournaments, win 1 and be runner up in the other 2. Seems to be a caveat with none of those falling below 12 wins either. If he wins this one, he should ignore Hakuho and focus on winning the other 14 matches in the next two tournaments. Course, he went 8-7 last tournament, so he could easily choke again.

Seriously, Aran has been winning with great technique. That was horseshit and I'm glad it blew up in his face. I really don't get why henka are so frequent in sumo considering how staunch the Japanese are about honor and saving face.

Taka put on a hell of a show lately, but he looked like he gave up on that last one. Just went straight into a shoving match, where he has no chance. Really?

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

Fryhtaning posted:

Seriously, Aran has been winning with great technique. That was horseshit and I'm glad it blew up in his face. I really don't get why henka are so frequent in sumo considering how staunch the Japanese are about honor and saving face.

I'm hoping my current plans comes good and I get to meet with and possibly eat and drink with a couple makuuchi wrestlers during the January basho. If so, I drat sure plan on asking about it because I certainly despise their existence and it boggles my mind why it is tolerated in modern sumo.

Also, I am quickly becoming a fan of Shouhouzan.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Pvt. Public posted:

I'm hoping my current plans comes good and I get to meet with and possibly eat and drink with a couple makuuchi wrestlers during the January basho. If so, I drat sure plan on asking about it because I certainly despise their existence and it boggles my mind why it is tolerated in modern sumo.

Also, I am quickly becoming a fan of Shouhouzan.

You might get killed for even implying that they're doing something dishonorable. Godspeed.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

Fryhtaning posted:

You might get killed for even implying that they're doing something dishonorable. Godspeed.

Oh there's no way I'd be dumb enough to imply to any of their faces that they do it and it is wrong. It'll be more of a "Why do you think this is tolerated?" sort of conversation. I've tread these waters before, I'm sure I'll manage to keep myself in one piece.

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
...and what about the kick in the groin?

Pvt. Public posted:

Oh there's no way I'd be dumb enough to imply to any of their faces that they do it and it is wrong. It'll be more of a "Why do you think this is tolerated?" sort of conversation. I've tread these waters before, I'm sure I'll manage to keep myself in one piece.

Tell them you think you can beat any one of them if you use henka and they don't. Have someone film this.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Henkas are awesome, they're an important part of the sport and people who don't like them are misguided, in my opinion. It reminds me of people who think zone defense in basketball is "cowardly". I mean, more than half of Takanoyama's wins are probably by henka.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass

Fryhtaning posted:

He might not get 2 in a row, but he can absolutely take another route that has been taken before... in a span of 3 tournaments, win 1 and be runner up in the other 2. Seems to be a caveat with none of those falling below 12 wins either. If he wins this one, he should ignore Hakuho and focus on winning the other 14 matches in the next two tournaments. Course, he went 8-7 last tournament, so he could easily choke again.

I was under the misapprehension that winning two in a row was a hard and fast rule, apparently only a guideline. It still seems the only surefire way of actually getting promoted to me, as Takanohana in '93 and Konishiki in '92 met those criteria and didn't get promoted. Onokuni in '87 seems to be the last one to be promoted without winning two in a row.

Just Winging It fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jul 20, 2012

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Just Winging It posted:

I was under the misapprehension that winning two in a row was a hard and fast rule, apparently only a guideline. It still seems the only surefire way of actually getting promoted to me, as Takanohana in '93 and Konishiki in '92 met those criteria and didn't get promoted. Onokuni in '87 seems to be the last one to be promoted without winning two in a row.

Maybe if it's sandwiched... I'm not sure, really... obviously it comes down to a vote by the council, but it's at least established that the minimum is a yusho and two jun-yusho over 3 tournaments.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.
Day 14:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PWUSJTLknU

I'll agree with Kintamayama that today was just weird.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
As far as Hakuho v Kisenosato is concerned, what is up with Hakuho. Has he switched to whatever training methods Asashoryu was using, because this reminds me of him, although not in a good way.

On a similar note, what's gotten into Aran. If you're at 9 wins already, you shouldn't be this insecure in the ring and just rely on the sumo that's gotten you to that position already.

At least Kyokutenho won and got rid of that unsightly 0.

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

@dcurban1: #FlyersTalk @28CGiroux and @Hartsy19 What do the C and A mean to you? We as fans expect more.Are you leaders or do you just make funny vids

@dcurban1: #flyerstalk @28CGiroux @Hartsy19 The A and the C are supposed to mean something. Leadership not stock quotes to reporters. Time to lead.

Just Winging It posted:

As far as Hakuho v Kisenosato is concerned, what is up with Hakuho. Has he switched to whatever training methods Asashoryu was using, because this reminds me of him, although not in a good way.

On a similar note, what's gotten into Aran. If you're at 9 wins already, you shouldn't be this insecure in the ring and just rely on the sumo that's gotten you to that position already.

At least Kyokutenho won and got rid of that unsightly 0.
There must have been something going on behind the scenes with Hakuho and Kisenosato. Hakuho was clearly pissed at the two early jumps and then decided to clown him.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)

evilwaldo posted:

There must have been something going on behind the scenes with Hakuho and Kisenosato. Hakuho was clearly pissed at the two early jumps and then decided to clown him.

That's what it looked like to me. Hakuho normally has a smugly satisfied look on his face after winning, but today he was practically gloating.

uinfuirudo
Aug 11, 2007

seorin posted:

That's what it looked like to me. Hakuho normally has a smugly satisfied look on his face after winning, but today he was practically gloating.

That might have been the biggest gently caress you in recent sumo history. Then again Kisenosato blatantly jumped the gun twice with Hakuhou's arm above his knee so he kind of deserved it.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
If Hakuho wins tomorrow he will, in addition to the title, have won more yuusho than Takanohana (last of the great Japanese yokozuna and current Chairman of the association), more total makuuchi bouts than his old rival Asashoryu, and more 15-0 titles than anyone in sumo history.

It's going to be so strange when he finally retires; it's been so long since sumo's been without a yokozuna who just dominates everything.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
ahhhhhhhh it's going to suck not having kintamayama's video tomorrow :( i know the individual matches will be up but i like to watch them all together. i'm so excited for harumafuji and hakuho's match, hopefully he doesn't pull the same poo poo he did with kisenosato today.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

a false posted:

ahhhhhhhh it's going to suck not having kintamayama's video tomorrow :( i know the individual matches will be up but i like to watch them all together. i'm so excited for harumafuji and hakuho's match, hopefully he doesn't pull the same poo poo he did with kisenosato today.
If you've not got anything planned for tomorrow, there's always the option of getting up super early and watching the livestream.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
what time is it EST? also what is the link for it

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
http://sumo.goo.ne.jp/eng/hon_basho/torikumi/eizo_haishin/eizo2.html

They start early on the last day, so makuuchi will run from roughly 2:30am to 4:30am Eastern, but that should be EDT not EST, so if you're on EST adjust accordingly. If you want to do the calculation yourself in case I'm wrong, the final match will probably be 5:20 or so Japan time (in Seattle time, which is the US time I keep track of, that's 1:20am).

Edit: This is a good time to mention that the link in the OP doesn't work for me for some reason, but the link above does. It might be because I'm accessing from within Japan, or maybe the link just needs to be fixed.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
This basho wasn't quite as crazy and dramatic as the last one, but it was still very satisfying. It was also the last basho I'll be able to watch from Japan, so as of next time I'll be watching the stream recordings on youtube like the rest of you.

Since the compilation video is incredibly delayed, I'll just post the match we've all been waiting for anyway:

Edit: vv Thanks for noticing! I've removed the video of the final match so it's less tempting to watch out of order. :)

seorin fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jul 22, 2012

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Kintamayama managed to get his video out before getting on the boat, looks like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-7Rfwx13Zs

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Hakuho v Harumafuji, with the full pre-match rituals and such included: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8dpUoC8KwM. It's interesting to watch as it goes to show how much more happens before the match even takes place. The pre-match rituals, the parading of the sponsor's banners, getting down for the tachi-ai, getting up again, throwing some more salt, getting down, glare a bit, getting up again to towel their face, until they finally start the match. Five and a half minutes before they actually start the match that's over in a fraction of that.

The award ceremony and interview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZnOxS4njgw, which just shows how appropriately large the actual cups are when compared to the people who win them. Also, seeing how the prefecture governor almost buckled under the weight of the PM's cup while the winner just handled it like weighed nothing remains funny.

I couldn't quite make out everything said in the post-match interview, other than that he was happy he won, and when asked whether he'd try to make yokozuna next tournament, he said he was going to make his best effort, which isn't very surprising to hear at least.

Just Winging It fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jul 22, 2012

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Well deserved victory for Harumafuji. Guy was on fire the whole tournament.

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

@dcurban1: #FlyersTalk @28CGiroux and @Hartsy19 What do the C and A mean to you? We as fans expect more.Are you leaders or do you just make funny vids

@dcurban1: #flyerstalk @28CGiroux @Hartsy19 The A and the C are supposed to mean something. Leadership not stock quotes to reporters. Time to lead.

frankenfreak posted:

Well deserved victory for Harumafuji. Guy was on fire the whole tournament.
Yes and I cannot wait for the next tournament. People will be watching him like a hawk after this performance.

uinfuirudo
Aug 11, 2007
drat Harumafuji has a pretty thick accent, I can only make out about 70% of his words.

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
...and what about the kick in the groin?

uinfuirudo posted:

drat Harumafuji has a pretty thick accent, I can only make out about 70% of his words.

A bit off topic but how long it take for you to get the language down?

Also, I thought that was a great final match. I'm really gonna pull for Harumafuji in September.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Funkysauce posted:

A bit off topic but how long it take for you to get the language down?

Also, I thought that was a great final match. I'm really gonna pull for Harumafuji in September.

Same, just because I need to bust this first Yokozuna nut. Hakuho could dominate another 5 years if Harumafuji can't close the deal.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
well, since asashoryu made yokozuna, harumafuji has the most yusho of anyone other than him and hakuho. so i guess at least by that metric there's good reason to believe he's capable of doing it (moreso than the other ozeki at least).

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Oh, someone before asked about henka. I think it's really weird, actually, how henka is looked down on in sumo... because we have similar moves in kendo that are actually admired because they're very difficult to pull off well.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

tarepanda posted:

Oh, someone before asked about henka. I think it's really weird, actually, how henka is looked down on in sumo... because we have similar moves in kendo that are actually admired because they're very difficult to pull off well.

I get it, somewhat. You're giving up your forward momentum to punish what you believe will be a hard-charging opponent. It's like throwing a changeup in baseball, an equalizer to keep your opponents from getting overzealous and sitting on your fastball.

The difference is that 90%+ of sumo matches have a classic tachi-ai, so if you often look for a henka, you're going to get steamrolled most of the time. So then you yourself become an easy henka target because looking for a henka puts you at a disadvantage. I think Hakuho's henka was actually an example of one done right. Kisenosato kept false starting so it was obvious to the world that he was going to blindly charge at the tachi-ai. But cheap henkas just to get a cheap win... I agree that they are not good for the game.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)

Fryhtaning posted:

I think Hakuho's henka was actually an example of one done right. Kisenosato kept false starting so it was obvious to the world that he was going to blindly charge at the tachi-ai.

Now that you mention it, I almost wonder if that was Hakuho's plan from the beginning, and that's why he shoved Kisenosato after the first false start: to really rile him up and make it certain.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Fryhtaning posted:

I get it, somewhat. You're giving up your forward momentum to punish what you believe will be a hard-charging opponent. It's like throwing a changeup in baseball, an equalizer to keep your opponents from getting overzealous and sitting on your fastball.

The difference is that 90%+ of sumo matches have a classic tachi-ai, so if you often look for a henka, you're going to get steamrolled most of the time. So then you yourself become an easy henka target because looking for a henka puts you at a disadvantage. I think Hakuho's henka was actually an example of one done right. Kisenosato kept false starting so it was obvious to the world that he was going to blindly charge at the tachi-ai. But cheap henkas just to get a cheap win... I agree that they are not good for the game.

How do you define "cheap"? That's kind of ridiculous, to me. If a wrestler gets caught by a henka, it's their fault -- there's a reason it often doesn't work on the more elite wrestlers. What would really be "not good for the game" is if there were no henkas at all, since it would strip a layer of nuance and technique away from sumo.

Again, I don't understand how the thread can simultaneously love Takanoyama and dislike henkas, since most of the time henkas are the only way he can compete.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Mechafunkzilla posted:

How do you define "cheap"? That's kind of ridiculous, to me. If a wrestler gets caught by a henka, it's their fault -- there's a reason it often doesn't work on the more elite wrestlers. What would really be "not good for the game" is if there were no henkas at all, since it would strip a layer of nuance and technique away from sumo.

Again, I don't understand how the thread can simultaneously love Takanoyama and dislike henkas, since most of the time henkas are the only way he can compete.

Takanoyama is pretty clearly an exception, because if you expect him to charge you head on you're an idiot.

I dunno, it's not an easy argument to firmly stand on either side of. Aran is not a hard charger and he does it often enough that it's your own fault if you fall for it. Hakuho did it perfectly to stuff someone who was tipping his hand for the whole world to see right from the start. Kisenosato is incredibly balanced and it was still obvious he was going in with a head of steam. That's all good henka, I would argue.

I think where the valid criticism comes is where it becomes, to use another baseball analogy, a beanball war like it did last tournament or the one before.. where someone got henka'd and then returned the favor to someone else. I can't remember the details exactly, but I know Harumafuji was involved and possibly another Ozeki. Also doing it to eke out your kachi-koshi because you're playing like poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Winning sumo matches by henka is like winning auto races by fuel mileage, it might be valid but I don't want to watch it.