Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.
One thing i still really miss is album shuffle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past

DanManIt posted:

At first I wasn't really that into Spotify.

Then I found out about all of the user playlists and now it is AWESOME. Rolling Stones Top 500 Songs and an electronic one that is updated on a daily basis has made spotify a program that I will definitely keep.

Can you link me to that electronic one? :) I need some regularly updated playlists like that.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Anybody have a good one for indie rock?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Anyone have an issue with the iPhone track where it wont play tracks in sequence? Like it'll play one track on the album then go to the next but just not play it, and you have to manually hit back and then play..

DanManIt
Sep 5, 2008

sweek0 posted:

Can you link me to that electronic one? :) I need some regularly updated playlists like that.

It's titled "Current House/Trance" by Brian Lasser.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Aw man, I can't believe the free radio streaming is only for iPhones right now. You guys are right about the android app being a total mess to navigate though. :smith:

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

wyoming posted:

Aw man, I can't believe the free radio streaming is only for iPhones right now. You guys are right about the android app being a total mess to navigate though. :smith:

It has timed out 90% of the times I've tried it.

jfjnpxmy
Feb 23, 2011

by Lowtax
Is anyone else in the UK finding that Spotify is a major pile of bumpoo right now? Everything seems to buffer for an eternity.

EDIT: And by "right now" I, of course, mean "over the last few weeks".

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.
i've had some problems here in the netherlands during the weekend, but they're over now.

DONT TOUCH THE PC fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Jun 26, 2012

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe

DanManIt posted:

It's titled "Current House/Trance" by Brian Lasser.

Does anyone have any other favorite playlists like this? Particularly playlists that represent a genre/style well, or keep up with new releases in one or something?

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE posted:

Does anyone have any other favorite playlists like this? Particularly playlists that represent a genre/style well, or keep up with new releases in one or something?

I like this BBC6 Music playlist which is updated every week I think, and just keeps up with music being played on their radio station, mostly indie stuff.

http://open.spotify.com/user/mrbillywhite/playlist/2vpSRWLWlOoPj4Me0jFpBT

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

I will now sing for you a song that I hope will ease your performance anxiety.

sweek0 posted:

Current House/Trance by Brian Lasser
http://open.spotify.com/user/brilas212/playlist/3KNx40qEofoqZpmR4h79eW

I was not able to find it though the spotify PC interface, I had to use google (Spotify interface needs work). If Spotify had Pandora's ability to find music it would be the perfect thing.

Citycop fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jun 30, 2012

Tychtrip
May 23, 2010

We are livid souls
So I managed to get a trial for premium and boy does the Android app suck hard. It feels so unfinished it just isn't worth paying for at all.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

tomm posted:

So I managed to get a trial for premium and boy does the Android app suck hard. It feels so unfinished it just isn't worth paying for at all.

Be glad you didn't try it before the last upgrade. It's significantly better than it used to be.

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

I tried the boxee app during a 48 hour trial and it was pretty awful. The only thing you can do is play your playlists or search for specific artist or title. If you wanted to actually find things to listen to your relegated back to the computer and pandora.

How does anyone find good play lists from other people that you don't know personally?

Edit: nevermind I googled it myself:

http://sharemyplaylists.com/chart

HOw does spotify not have this function built in?

Citycop fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jul 2, 2012

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Citycop posted:

http://sharemyplaylists.com/chart

HOw does spotify not have this function built in?

The PC version does with their Spotify Apps.

They're just not that with it yet on moblie integration of things like Apps and such and I think they basically expect you to have a PC to hang out with and build playlists and just use mobile to listen and not much else.

It works for me, I have Spotify on my home and work machines so I can mess with whatever. I ride the subway, so there's no cell/wi-fi and it's not like 90% of the time when I'm listening on my phone there's any way to modify anything in the first place.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

there's also a sharemyplaylists app on most mobile platforms, it's not perfect but it makes it a bit easier to find playlists on the go.

edit:
the updated search also finds playlists by people that are not in your friendslist. There's no rating or anything attached though, so it's a bit of a stab in the dark.

DONT TOUCH THE PC fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jul 2, 2012

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

I don't know how I totally missed the apps button. I feel stupid.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
What does that little chain link icon next to some of my music mean? There's no tooltip and the online help is useless!

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

webmeister posted:

What does that little chain link icon next to some of my music mean? There's no tooltip and the online help is useless!

That's an indicator that the software linked a track either to an mp3 in your local library so it plays that instead of streaming (which doesn't count against your monthly listening allotment, if you have one) or, in the case of an album not available in your market, linking a track to a streaming copy from another album that is. Sometimes you get a false match (usually for alternate versions or mixes), so you can unlink a track by clicking on the icon. (e: or it just takes you to the replacement...that's what I get for doing this description from memory)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jul 3, 2012

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Fun Shoe
^ That was my understanding as well, but I occasionally get 'linked' tracks even on though I've removed all local files from Spotify.

Is it maybe also an indication that there are alternate versions available to stream?

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE posted:

^ That was my understanding as well, but I occasionally get 'linked' tracks even on though I've removed all local files from Spotify.

Is it maybe also an indication that there are alternate versions available to stream?

Yes, i've got a dutch account and sometimes a playlist made by a brit is half chain-links cause the particular version they used isn't available, but the same version is available on a different album (or a different version of the same album, i'm getting that a lot as well.).

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Spotify's radio works on my wife's iPhone 4s but not my iPhone 4 or iPad3. There does not appear to be a reliable fix out there anywhere.

Jordanthehutt
Jun 21, 2011
Does anyone know if there is a way to unlink your spotify and facebook account. I can't seem to find it in any of the profile settings. Deleting your facebook results in spotify not working.

Edit: Well after a quick google it seems it is impossible unless you signed up before they required a facebook connection. What a lovely lovely policy this is.

Jordanthehutt fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jul 18, 2012

Superanos
Nov 13, 2009

That is indeed the case, you can blame Sean Parker for that. He's a big investor in both Spotify and Facebook and he wants to tie your music up to your FB account so you can't ever leave FB.

MOAR
Mar 6, 2012

Death! Put your jacket on or you'll get frostbite!

Jordanthehutt posted:

Does anyone know if there is a way to unlink your spotify and facebook account.

Edit: Well after a quick google it seems it is impossible unless you signed up before they required a facebook connection. What a lovely lovely policy this is.

Apparently its possible to use email login in Germany - just not the rest of the world.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Jordanthehutt posted:

Does anyone know if there is a way to unlink your spotify and facebook account. I can't seem to find it in any of the profile settings. Deleting your facebook results in spotify not working.

Just make a dummy facebook account if you don't want to hook it up to your real one. It takes like one minute.

wharf cat
Aug 9, 2005

What's that jackass doing.. I KNOW YOU asshole
I don't have facebook so I sent a gmail invite to a website that gave me a temporary e-mail.
http://www.fakeinbox.com/

Signed up for facebook using the fake gmail account.

Edit: Reason being, facebook would send a confirmation email to the email you provided, but they weren't showing up on the multiple temporary email websites I tried.
Gmail worked though.

wharf cat fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jul 19, 2012

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

wharf cat posted:

I don't have facebook so I sent a gmail invite to a website that gave me a temporary e-mail.
http://www.fakeinbox.com/

Signed up for facebook using the fake gmail account.

Edit: Reason being, facebook would send a confirmation email to the email you provided, but they weren't showing up on the multiple temporary email websites I tried.
Gmail worked though.

...Why would you go through all that trouble instead of just signing up with your regular e-mail? You know it takes like 2 seconds to set it so Facebook never, ever sends you anything, right? Which is probably way less time than you spent doing...this.

Superanos
Nov 13, 2009

Looked at the official Spotify customer support forum for a while. Apparently their moderators are actively deleting all posts that mention methods to sign up without Facebook. However, they've missed a few.

The best way is to register a new account using a German proxy. Full instructions here. You need a credit card to change the new Spotify account's country from Germany to yours, but after that it'll work like any account created before the Facebook requirement. No payment needed.

If you really need your playlists, you can disconnect a FB-made Spotify account by making a "device password" and logging into the desktop app using these credentials. Then, under Preferences, you have a button that says "Disconnect from Facebook". This is a bad option because your username is a string of random numbers and you will have to remember this.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Undead Zombie posted:

Looked at the official Spotify customer support forum for a while. Apparently their moderators are actively deleting all posts that mention methods to sign up without Facebook. However, they've missed a few.

The best way is to register a new account using a German proxy. Full instructions here. You need a credit card to change the new Spotify account's country from Germany to yours, but after that it'll work like any account created before the Facebook requirement. No payment needed.

If you really need your playlists, you can disconnect a FB-made Spotify account by making a "device password" and logging into the desktop app using these credentials. Then, under Preferences, you have a button that says "Disconnect from Facebook". This is a bad option because your username is a string of random numbers and you will have to remember this.

This looks like an awfully roundabout and needlessly complicated way of going about getting an account. When I signed up with my Facebook, literally the first thing it asked me was basically "Do you give permission to post Spotify updates to your Facebook?". I said no and no one on Facebook even knows that I use it now

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
Hey guys, thought I'd bounce an idea off of you.

I was about to create a new thread but figured I'd make sure nothing like this is already going on somewhere before making it.

The idea is to have a set of goon-curated/updated playlists for each of a bunch of genres. Sort of acting as primers for each genre. IE, I don't know a lot about jazz or classical but if I wanted to get started on learning about fundamental jazz musicians it'd be nice to be able to get the input of the NMD braintrust involved to make some collaborative Spotify playlists.

I was thinking we'd set up some criteria, like... identify a list of genres we'd like to start off with and get volunteer curators to start populating some playlists. Make sure that the playlists are all named similarly so they're easy to search on, have some kind of limit on how many tracks from a single artist you have and how long the playlists are ie: we wouldn't want them to be several days worth of songs, 3-5 hours might be ideal, the idea is just to get people started... the idea wouldn't be to just add full albums from each artist but rather the top 1-3 tracks that define that artist or album's sound.

Does this sound like something that we could convince goons to get behind? Does anybody have any recommendations for how to start things off? I'm happy to create the thread and get a few lists going to start off with but I wouldn't consider myself an expert on very many genres.

Thoughts?

Lump Shaker
Nov 20, 2001

MMD3 posted:

Hey guys, thought I'd bounce an idea off of you.

I was about to create a new thread but figured I'd make sure nothing like this is already going on somewhere before making it.

The idea is to have a set of goon-curated/updated playlists for each of a bunch of genres. Sort of acting as primers for each genre. IE, I don't know a lot about jazz or classical but if I wanted to get started on learning about fundamental jazz musicians it'd be nice to be able to get the input of the NMD braintrust involved to make some collaborative Spotify playlists.

I was thinking we'd set up some criteria, like... identify a list of genres we'd like to start off with and get volunteer curators to start populating some playlists. Make sure that the playlists are all named similarly so they're easy to search on, have some kind of limit on how many tracks from a single artist you have and how long the playlists are ie: we wouldn't want them to be several days worth of songs, 3-5 hours might be ideal, the idea is just to get people started... the idea wouldn't be to just add full albums from each artist but rather the top 1-3 tracks that define that artist or album's sound.

Does this sound like something that we could convince goons to get behind? Does anybody have any recommendations for how to start things off? I'm happy to create the thread and get a few lists going to start off with but I wouldn't consider myself an expert on very many genres.

Thoughts?

That sounds like a great idea and would help with the "where to start with x" questions. You probably need to start with (or at least run simultaneously) an indexed list of genres that people can add to/modify.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Fun Shoe
I am all for this idea as well.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I can see all the bickering about whether or not this song fits this particular genre already.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

of course, but that's half the fun of making lists :-)

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
okay then, I'll go ahead and get it started.

Does anybody have a recommended genre list for me to kickstart things with? or would anybody like to volunteer a particular genre that they can create playlists for to get things rolling?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Dance/House/Electro I've just been throwing things on here that I like as I come across them. Genres are pretty loosely interpreted.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Here are a couple I've made

Ambient (full albums)

IDM and techno (indiv. tracks)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
So I'm trying to assemble a condensed genre list from this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_popular_music_genres

Is it safe to just start it off with high level genres or am I going to offend the poo poo out of everyone?

I would probably break electronic into Ambient, IDM, Techno, Chicago House, French House, Electro to begin with since it is a pretty popular genre around these parts but I'm having a more difficult time deciding what sub-genres to start off with for Hip Hop, Jazz, Rock, Blues, etc.

Maybe I'll just throw the major genres up there and ask people to volunteer sub-genres they want to tackle.

• Locked thread