Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shane-O-Mac
May 24, 2006

Hypnopompic bees are extra scary. They turn into guns.

JonTheDon posted:

Thanks, will hopefully give it a go this upcoming weekend.

I don't know whether to try overclocking at some point, overvolting invalidates any warranty, but from what I've read, it will likely still work for many years overvolted at a reasonable level, people have them running at 1Ghz.

Well I just came home to a kernel panic, so it's still not running as smoothly as I want. Maybe overclocking would help. I tried it once and screwed it up, haven't tried again.

By the way, my download speed is 0.5 - 1.2 MB/s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
I doubt if overclocking an unstable system is going to give you the results you seek. Did you catch the trap to see what caused the panic?

Shane-O-Mac
May 24, 2006

evol262 posted:

I doubt if overclocking an unstable system is going to give you the results you seek. Did you catch the trap to see what caused the panic?

I didn't, unfortunately. Maybe the Pi just isn't powerful enough. My original plan was to use a 5 year old laptop as my server/downloader, and the Pi as an XBMC box for the TV. Some curse has been put on me though, and my laptop's GPU died.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Shane-O-Mac posted:

I didn't, unfortunately. Maybe the Pi just isn't powerful enough. My original plan was to use a 5 year old laptop as my server/downloader, and the Pi as an XBMC box for the TV. Some curse has been put on me though, and my laptop's GPU died.

How do you figure the Pi being too slow would result in kernel panics?

Shane-O-Mac
May 24, 2006

Longinus00 posted:

How do you figure the Pi being too slow would result in kernel panics?

Because I don't know what a kernel panic is. :ssh:

I mostly say that because it's running slow though. And that should be expected, with the low RAM and all. It's hard to say whether or not it will work out. Between my last post and now it's been running stably but slowly, so that's good.

Tharax
Jul 15, 2009
For those still wondering about ordering, I got my "Please place an order" email on the 29th June, and my Raspberry Pi arrived today. It looks very pretty, although I naively thought it would work straight from the box. Looks like I have to buy an SD card (my Smartphone is my camera, so I don't have any lying around) and a power cable - hopefully I can get these after work before shops close.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

Got my second Pi yesterday. Office Pi!

MOLLUSC
Nov 30, 2005

Anyone tried the new Debian build optimised for the hardware floating point capabilities? Apparently it's a lot quicker for browsing and GUI stuff: Link

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

MOLLUSC posted:

Anyone tried the new Debian build optimised for the hardware floating point capabilities? Apparently it's a lot quicker for browsing and GUI stuff: Link

Tried it, and it's noticably faster. Still slower than most smartphones for web browsing.

They'll still be able to eek more performance out, as they've not yet accelerated 2D yet in Rasbian x-windows.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Jamsta posted:

Tried it, and it's noticably faster. Still slower than most smartphones for web browsing.

They'll still be able to eek more performance out, as they've not yet accelerated 2D yet in Rasbian x-windows.

Have you tried running the PI at a smartphone's resolution? Something like 800x480, and then see whether the browser performance is able to stack up.

It is after all, the relative performance capability of a smartphone from 2009 or so, and then being used to handle stuff at higher res such as 1280x720 or 1920x1080. You may see performance improved by knocking down to a smartphone resolution.

Toper Hollyphant
Jul 31, 2010
Just got mine couple days ago, currently running Arch Linux ARM and not much else. I tried using i3 wm and Surf browser but not sure if it's actually as usable as I'd hoped for.

So the Raspbian distro is actually worth checking out? I was kind of counting on minimal installation being fast enough to browse internet without problems.

For headless usage I ended up having a little bash script execute on rc.local that curls the IP address of the RasPi to notifymywindowsphone, effectively sending me the IP address after every boot to my phone as push notification. Useful.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

doritos posted:

You're advocating a programming language nobody has ever heard of and has zero real world use. But I'm stretching for arguments?

Hell, I didn't even mention C specifically. Just that getting things to build on linux is a horrible nightmare from beyond unless you've already got a neckbeard.

"because it cost pennies" yes I covered that, pennies that have a better use.

So both debian outdated and debian unstable.

Personal grudge. Against an inanimate object. Because I point out the flaws. OK.

I googled that just now (because it's an also-ran) and it looks like kismet. This is just drawing flowcharts. Psudocode.

So basically you're advocating a learning experience that's equivalent to a copy of the free UDK installed on every computer at school, except it costs 20/student, and there's no "this is how videogames work" learning incentive. Yay?

The only valid flaw you've come up with is that the composite port probably wasn't worth the $0.35 it cost to put it on there.

Please enlighten me on the "up to date" release you seem to think is between Debian stable and testing.

So if you don't like scratch, you must not like LEGO Mindstorms, PureData, Max/MSP, BASIC, or any visual programming language that doesn't adhere to strict standards of being loving inaccesible for non-coders. Once again, nobody is using GCC. If you're using scratch, you're using its interpreter, and when you step up to python or ruby, you're using the interpreters again. No GCC. Period.

Actually, I'll just C&P this over to the Raspberry PI thread so they can have a go at you.

corgski fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jul 26, 2012

doritos
Dec 6, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

thelightguy posted:

Please enlighten me on the "up to date" release you seem to think is between Debian stable and testing.

There isn't one. That's the point I'm making, debian is either outdated or unstable. This is a common criticism.

thelightguy posted:

So if you don't like scratch, you must not like LEGO Mindstorms, PureData, Max/MSP, BASIC, or any other language that doesn't adhere to strict standards of being loving inaccesible for non-coders.

Or, you know, I don't like languages you can't use to make real software with being pushed as something worth learning. Even BASICs can be compiled and use the OS APIs without needing a few hundred megs of horseshit dependencies. Acorn did that a lot.

thelightguy posted:

Once again, nobody is using GCC. If you're using scratch, you're using its interpreter, and when you step up to python or ruby, you're using the interpreters again. No GCC. Period.

Actually, I'll just C&P this over to the Raspberry PI thread so they can have a go at you.

So you're basically saying that the Pi is going to encourage kids to get into coding by letting them play with interpreted languages nobody ever uses. I'm sure that's a good idea, after all "Techsoft 2D design V2" was a great thing for me to learn at school in a world where people actually want to see AutoCAD or Solidworks on your CV.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

"Testing" isn't unstable. Unstable is unstable.

Django sure isn't serious work, huh guys? Amirite? Ruby on Rails? Hobbyist level, at best.

doritos
Dec 6, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

thelightguy posted:

Django sure isn't serious work, huh guys? Amirite? Ruby on Rails? Hobbyist level, at best.

You can't retroactively drop things into the conversation and say I've made a statement about it when I haven't.

For real though? gently caress ruby on rails, or any other web developer interpreted horseshit. The last thing we need is more idiots trying to turn the web browser into an application platform.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

doritos posted:

You can't retroactively drop things into the conversation and say I've made a statement about it when I haven't.

I'm sorry, I figured you read what you quoted where I said that they'd step up into python and ruby. That was in the original post pre-edit.

doritos
Dec 6, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

thelightguy posted:

I'm sorry, I figured you read what you quoted where I said that they'd step up into python and ruby. That was in the original post pre-edit.

Tell me more about how you totally said Django :allears:

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Django is a framework on top of python. Grats for not knowing your web technologies. :)

doritos
Dec 6, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

thelightguy posted:

Django is a framework on top of python. Grats for not knowing your web technologies. :)

That's cool. I'm going to mention the top of the empire state building when people discuss the earth's molten core.

What do you mean it's irrelevant? It's built (miles) on top of the core!

I'm still giggling over real languages "being loving inaccesible for non-coders".

I mean, wouldn't that mean nobody could ever become a coder? Wouldn't the pool of coders be limited entirely to those who created the languages they use?

Or maybe you could man up, read "C for dummies", and start cranking out actual real software. It might not do very much at first, but at least it's in a language people use to do real things like create the browser and OS you use to have this argument with me.

If course a good start is an OS where the compiler can be trusted, so I point you to the PCs running windows the schools already have. drat, a saving of £20/student and an OS they already know how to use, too.

doritos fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jul 26, 2012

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Tell me more about how having a background in a high-level language is irrelevant when working with a direct superset of said high-level language. :allears:

Also look at you thinking that schools have computers for every kid and the money for expensive IDE packages from their approved vendors.

corgski fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jul 26, 2012

doritos
Dec 6, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

thelightguy posted:

Tell me more about how having a background in a language is irrelevant when working with a direct superset of it. :allears:

Tell me more about dragging the argument away from what it's about into petty semantics about website backends.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Okay, back to basics.

The RPI allows schools to get a computer for every kid that has an IDE pre-installed along with several high-level languages that are useful in the real world, and a couple that simply serve to teach programming concepts. The cost of getting a comparable package with a full Windows PC from an approved vendor (i.e. Microsoft) would be several orders of magnitude higher than the $35 they're asking for the Pi.

Why again do you think it's a bad platform and/or an overpowered audrino?

corgski fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jul 26, 2012

AgentF
May 11, 2009
What is happening here?! :psyduck:

doritos
Dec 6, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

thelightguy posted:

The RPI allows schools to get a computer for every kid that has an IDE pre-installed along with several high-level languages that are useful in the real world, and a couple that simply serve to teach programming concepts. The cost of getting a comparable package from an approved vendor would be several orders of magnitude higher than the $35 they're asking for the Pi.

Why again do you think it's a bad platform?

Scratch is identical in concept, yet lesser in learning value to Kismet, which is part of the free UDK. The UDK also has the bonus of interesting kids because it's loving video games. Scratch is free and you don't need a Pi.
Python is free and you don't need a Pi.
C is free and you don't need a Pi.
Ruby is free and you don't need a Pi.

$35 isn't buying you any software. It's buying you the opportunity to spend more money on KVM switches, plastic cases and USB hubs.

thelightguy posted:

Why again do you think it's a bad platform and/or an overpowered audrino?

1) it's a slow linux computer that costs money. There is no gain over computers everyone already has, if taken as what it was said to be: a machine to teach programming in schools.

2) it's only actually having success with people using it as an embedded board for gimmicky poo poo.

doritos fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jul 26, 2012

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Visual Studio is $400+. A PC is $600-ish. Schools don't just go and install random OSS packages without a support contract.

A Raspberry Pi is $35 and includes an IDE, hardware, and support. (Granted, it will probably cost the schools slightly more for their support contracts, but it will still come in far under the $1k+ a seat that a PC would.)

E:

quote:

2) it's only actually having success with people using it as an embedded board for gimmicky poo poo.

Because it's still in limited release and they haven't opened up sales to schools yet. :psyduck:

corgski fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jul 26, 2012

doritos
Dec 6, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

thelightguy posted:

Visual Studio is $400+.

No it isn't. Schools don't pay full retail, they get educational discounts.
Express edition is also free.

thelightguy posted:

A PC is $600-ish.

Schools already have these. There is no cost here because they already have them. Best Buy don't charge you the cost of your TV every time you turn it on.

thelightguy posted:

Schools don't just go and install random OSS packages without a support contract.

I can tell you they do.

thelightguy posted:

A Raspberry Pi is $35 and includes an IDE, hardware, and support. (Granted, it will probably cost the schools slightly more for their support contracts, but it will still come in far under the $1k+ a seat that a PC would.)

Schools already have PCs in them. There's no cost to save here, there's already computers in the building. Hundreds of them.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

doritos please stop debating the merits of the Raspberry Pi and let the folks who have one go back to talking about them.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

doritos please stop debating the merits of the Raspberry Pi and let the folks who have one go back to talking about them.

This sounds awesome... except:

quote:

July 25, 2012
13:03

Seattle - USA Delivery attempted; recipient not home

Fuuuuck I wasn't home!!! :negative:

doritos
Dec 6, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I wasn't the one who dragged it in here, but ok I'll stop.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
I got mine fairly early on, (second batch from RS I think), but it seems that most stuff actually usable for a mid-level user like myself is still very much a work in progress. Most of the applications I had in mind are still missing key pieces of the puzzle. Mostly, this means graphics acceleration, as it's an important part in making sure things run smoothly.

Mainly, I'm hoping to run Processing or something similar, because being able to just tuck a pi behind a HDTV and let it do its thing opens up a ton of possibilities.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I know nothing about SD cards, what is a good place to buy one? Is it worth paying shipping to buy one online somewhere or should I just get one at walmart?

I ordered on July 13 from Newark and mine shipped July 30th. I just need and SD card and a power supply.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Snak posted:

I know nothing about SD cards, what is a good place to buy one? Is it worth paying shipping to buy one online somewhere or should I just get one at walmart?

I ordered on July 13 from Newark and mine shipped July 30th. I just need and SD card and a power supply.

You'll pay a lot at WalMart. The danger on-line is in fakes and lovely cards. Endemic on eBay, but you can even get bitten by that on Amazon (if you're not careful and don't double-check that you're ordering from Amazon and not fulfilled by x). That said, Amazon could be a good place as long as you make sure it is from Amazon, or you can watch SlickDeals to see when they go on sale.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Snak posted:

I recommend this card, as I'm using it as main storage in an older netbook: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003VNKNEQ/

16 GB, costs just $10.70, shipped from Amazon themselves. Also available in 8 gb and 32 gb versions if you need to save some cash or need more space.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Snak posted:

Good advice above, and just to fill in a bit:

You'll see SD cards rated as 'Class 2/4/6/10', which corresponds to how fast they read/write. If the packaging doesn't make it clear, this is always printed on the card itself (as just the number, inside a circle-ish logo -- You can clearly see the '10' on the card linked above). Even if you find a good price in a retail store, 90% of the time it's slow crap. Especially for storing an OS, and for the tiny price difference, you'll absolutely want a Class 10. (side note: There are also cards on a new, even faster 'UHS' scale, but they're not worth worrying about yet)

Capacity-wise, the base images on raspberrypi.org may be 2GB, but a lot of the more featured-packed stuff in the forums is 4 or 8. I wouldn't bother with anything less than 8, and bigger doesn't hurt.

Prize Loser
Nov 28, 2005

It's casual Friday! Pants are optional!

Snak posted:

I'm using this card. It doesn't get used to its full potential because the RasPi isn't capable of writing or reading from the card at its full speed, I don't think.

pi@raspberrypi ~ $ dd count=1024 bs=1M if=/dev/zero of=/home/pi/writetest.img
1024+0 records in
1024+0 records out
1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 120.355 s, 8.9 MB/s

pi@raspberrypi ~ $ time cat writetest.img > /dev/null
real 0m51.607s
user 0m0.180s
sys 0m9.100s

Writing at 8.9MB/s and reading at 19.8MB/s.

Prize Loser fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Aug 1, 2012

A c E
Jun 18, 2007

Is this weird? Is this too weird? Do you need to sit down?

Toper Hollyphant posted:

Just got mine couple days ago, currently running Arch Linux ARM and not much else. I tried using i3 wm and Surf browser but not sure if it's actually as usable as I'd hoped for.

So the Raspbian distro is actually worth checking out? I was kind of counting on minimal installation being fast enough to browse internet without problems.

For headless usage I ended up having a little bash script execute on rc.local that curls the IP address of the RasPi to notifymywindowsphone, effectively sending me the IP address after every boot to my phone as push notification. Useful.

Not sure if anyone answered this. I just got mine yesterday and after fighting with Arch for a while I gave up and switched to Raspbian. Couldn't be happier with the switch. Does exactly what I want it to do, which is to be a media center which allows me to launch the GUI and videos remotely through SSH.

Now to see what else I can do with it.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

I neglected to buy the accessory pack with my Pi and, as a result, don't have a power lead for it. Can I just power it off the USB on my main machine, using this micro USB lead I have from my old Blackberry, for the time being?

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

They warn against using an USB port to power it, i think those can only handle 500mA and the Pi wants 700+

I'm using my iPhone charger to power mine for the time being, and that works fine. Any microusb cable should work. As long as the plug fits you're good to go!

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

WoG posted:

You'll see SD cards rated as 'Class 2/4/6/10', which corresponds to how fast they read/write.... Especially for storing an OS, and for the tiny price difference, you'll absolutely want a Class 10.
I'm sorry, but this is misleading.

SD card speed ratings apply to sustained writes only, which is important when you want use them in a camera or camcorder since, if the card can't do sustained writes fast enough, you can't record video to it.

However, when making SD controllers usually a trade-off is made between sequential write performance, and random read/write performance. And it's random I/O performance that's important when running an OS from an SD card. Anecdotally, I've had far better performance from some class 6 cards as opposed to class 10.

Check out Tom's Hardware 2011 SD Card Benchmarks. There's a lot of benchmarks there. If there's one that probably the most applicable, it's the IOMeter Workstation Benchmark Pattern.

If there's one card I'd go with, it's the Patriot PEF32GSHC10233 32 GB. If you're looking for smaller/cheaper cards, Patriot 16 GB and Transcend TS8GSDHC6 8 GB are alright options.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Aug 4, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

danishcake
Aug 15, 2004
I'm having issues with my Raspberry Pi - it outputs everything in green over HDMI. I've tried screwing around with the HDMI settings to no avail. Very irritating, so I'm using it headless at the moment over SSH.

I'm using it to drive a USB missile launcher at the moment, with a wiimote serving as a hotspot detector. It looks quite funky tracking stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VFKFj9y14o

It's coming to work with me next week.