Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
Aw man. I've got the Mark of Mastery Edition preordered but I want to wait until the 3DS XL comes out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
I'm at the endgame now! The happenings in The World That Never Was impressed me!

Xigbar/Braig/Braignort keeps his sniper rile in this game. I thought that was gonna get cencored like usual...

Trippy Xehanort scenes are trippy! It's raining Soras! :v:

We finally know what the X means when it's associated with Xehanort! It's called "The Recusant's Sigil" when used that way, and serves as a mark of Xemnas', and thus Xehanort's, ownership of an Organization member. It is also used to track Sora down through it's appearance on his Dream World clothes!

Xemnas was an awesome boss fight, and a good way to end Sora's story!

Japanese Riku says to the Anti Black Coat Nightmare: "If you're a nightmare, I'll eat you whole!" English Riku opts for the much more badass "Are you a Nightmare? Cuz' I'm what nightmares fear!" instead (roughly).

Now it's Ansem SoD time! Yay!

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Thanks for the new thread title, Louisgod :allears:

Black Feather
Apr 14, 2012

Call someone who cares.

Folt The Bolt posted:

Japanese Riku says to the Anti Black Coat Nightmare: "If you're a nightmare, I'll eat you whole!" English Riku opts for the much more badass "Are you a Nightmare? Cuz' I'm what nightmares fear!" instead (roughly).

I actually thought that sounded pretty lame.

Italax
May 10, 2012

Part of the problem.
I'm not really a big fan of the friendly dream eaters being a mechanic, since more often than not I just end up getting confused by them in the middle of a fight. It's even worse when it's something like the bat because if he does his sound wave attack there's no way to differentiate it from an attack from a regular bat.

Apart from that though I'm quite enjoying it, much more than Kingdom Hearts 2 (I haven't played any since then).

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Black Feather posted:

I actually thought that sounded pretty lame.

Riku's putdown of Ansem in CoM is still my favourite.

"I took all the power you had to give and still lost to Sora. I'm not impressed."

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
CoM was a surprisingly well scripted game, despite all of its other shortcomings. It actually didn't even use what is Axel's catchphrase now, "Commit it to memory" compared to "Got it memorized?" I mean, the former is more suiting of the enigmatic villains they were going for at the time compared to later when we know of the Organization and how gimmicky they all are as characters. Either way, it's funny how I could read Dissidia's script and surmise it was written by the same guys who do KH's script from how ridiculous all of it is.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

couldcareless posted:

Looks like Versus XIII is scrapped

Hopefully this means KH3 will finally get put into some serious production.

I bet you feel really loving dumb now for believing anything on Kotaku

EDIT:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyYwXArIi48

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jul 25, 2012

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Here are a few initial reviews for KH3D:

G4 gave it a 4.5/5, saying:

quote:

With its exciting combat mechanics, intricate Spirit system, and beautiful 3D graphics, Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance is definitely one of the best Kingdom Hearts experiences to date. Right up to the very end (which includes a secret ending) the game’s engaging and leaves Kingdom Hearts fans wondering what’s going to happen next in the series. And even with small things like the drop system occasionally hampering gameplay, after a few hours you’ll barely notice it at all and you’ll find ways to get right back in the action. As far as action RPGs go, Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance isn’t one to be missed.

[url=http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/07/17/kingdom-hearts-3d-dream-drop-distance-review]IGN gave it an 8.5/10, saying:

quote:

Despite its problems, Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance is an enjoyable experience with an engaging story and incredible characterization. Although the platforming is far from fluid and the story can feel convoluted at times, when KH3D soars, it soars high - capturing that KH magic that has propelled the series to great success for a decade now. Dream Drop Distance captures the quality of the console releases, but in bite-sized chunks fit for a portable, and successfully whisks players away to the world of Disney films like Hunchback of Notre Dame, Pinocchio, Tron: Legacy and more. Overall it’s a great new entry in the series, one befitting Sora and Riku’s return. With the excellent additions of Flowmotion combat and the Drop system, this may be the best portable entry in the series to date.

Game Informer gave it an 8.25/10, however the review is poorly written and not worth reading.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

No need to be an abrasive rear end in a top hat about it.
The article even says multiple sources confirmed it, so it's a pretty honest mistake, not some "typical kotaku poo poo" situation.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

couldcareless posted:

No need to be an abrasive rear end in a top hat about it.
The article even says multiple sources confirmed it, so it's a pretty honest mistake, not some "typical kotaku poo poo" situation.

Please point out where Kotaku cited or even named any of these sources.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Coughing Hobo posted:

Please point out where Kotaku cited or even named any of these sources.

I'm referring to the article that Blackbelt linked above.

4th Paragraph:

quote:

Hence why Kotaku’s report on Friday seemed so plausible. Japan correspondent Brian Ashcraft said that multiple sources confirmed that Final Fantasy Versus XIII had been cancelled but Square-Enix, and that the game’s death was kept quiet so as to not cause the company embarrassment or fluctuation in shareholder confidence.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer
C'mon guys this isn't in keeping with the Finny Fun Kingdom Hearts is all about! Let's all Swim this Way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7sCaz5mYno

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

couldcareless posted:

I'm referring to the article that Blackbelt linked above.

4th Paragraph:

Truly the face of a guy In The Know. They don't even confirm their sources as much as they rely on that guy above, a Kotaku "journalist", to say he talked to a couple people and they said yeah, it's cancelled. This is why Kotaku is useless.

Anyway, continue on with the KH chat.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

I've just cleared the story. Now it's post-game time!

So, my opinion on Dream Drop Distance? It's replaced BBS as my favorite KH game. Sure, the story isn't as good (or makes as much sense) as BBS, but almost everything else was markedly improved upon, as I see it:

• Bigger and better worlds that don't feel mostly flat and corridor-like.
  • Playable Sora AND Riku using the Deck Command system.
  • Flowmotion allowing for fast travel.
  • An extensive party member system with useful party members.
  • Many enemies that give you a fair challenge. (As opposed to only some.)
  • Fun and challenging bosses. (Even on Standard.)
  • A tutorial that ISN'T long and can be skippable!
  • Flick Rush, a totally fun minigame! The Dives are also pretty cool, especially the ones where you fight bosses!
  • Awesome music!
  • The requirements for the Secret Ending doesn't screw Standard players over, unlike BBS. *shudder*

Also, like the other KH games, it has that distinct charm that makes you feel like your 6-year old self having the time of your life!

Also, I don't think you'll actually be able to get any ultra-powerful skills early like in BBS, and you probably won't have access to Once More and Second Chance right away, or even near the end. At least not on your first time through. Subsequent times let's you import your spirits so you can get powerful commands earlier, but only when you've cleared the story at least once.

BTW, I clocked in at over 50 hours when I finally cleared the story.

Folt The Bolt fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jul 25, 2012

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Gaseous Snake posted:

C'mon guys this isn't in keeping with the Finny Fun Kingdom Hearts is all about! Let's all Swim this Way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7sCaz5mYno

I feel ashamed for liking this part of the game when I was 12.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Has anyone tested out the CPP with KH3D? Or seen any impressions of it? I'm sure it doesn't add very much but I am just curious.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Has anyone tested out the CPP with KH3D? Or seen any impressions of it? I'm sure it doesn't add very much but I am just curious.

I've played the whole game with it so far. Having ZR for lock instead of L+R makes life so much easier, and ZL can be used for reality shifts.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Folt The Bolt posted:

• The requirements for the Secret Ending doesn't screw Standard players over, unlike BBS. *shudder*

What are these by the way? Also I don't know why you put this in spoilers :shobon:

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

What are these by the way? Also I don't know why you put this in spoilers :shobon:

I have a habit of putting anything that has to do with secrets or unlockables into spoilers. :v: That said, here are the supposed requirements:

• Get enough Trophies. 7 on Standard or 5 on Proud. You get 1 Trophy automatically upon beating the game, and one is gotten by beating it on Proud, which means you only have to go out of your way to collect 6 or three trophies on Standard and Proud respectively, which is very manageable and can be done as you play through the game.
  • Get all the golden letters during the dive at the credits. Don't worry if you miss them on your first time around, as you will unlock Theater Mode in Mementos, allowing you to try multiple times.
  • Answer the three questions in an end cutscene correctly. You can do this from Theater Mode as well, I believe.

Also, because I did the first and third correctly the first time around, I've only confirmed that the second on that list is required.

Also, I think part of the game's balanced difficulty is because you likely won't have access to both Once More and Second Chance for the majority of the game. Even with them, it will be more difficult because the enemies as a whole are more competent (and have more annoying tricks up their sleeve) than usual. So this time, Standard actually feels like Standard and not Semi-Beginner.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
So long as we don't have to run all over maps trying to find dalmatian puppies. I never want to do that ever again.

Except the one that follows you around. He was worth it.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

The GIG posted:

So long as we don't have to run all over maps trying to find dalmatian puppies. I never want to do that ever again.

Except the one that follows you around. He was worth it.

The worst part of KH games is always hunting for chests to try to 100% the treasure journal. And there are at least twice as many chests per world in 3D, because Riku and Sora have different treasure lists.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

The worst part of KH games is always hunting for chests to try to 100% the treasure journal. And there are at least twice as many chests per world in 3D, because Riku and Sora have different treasure lists.

Different treasure lists, sure. But if Sora and Riku visits the same area in a world, then chances are high that the treasure chests are found in the exact same spot for both, which is nice. They also tend to fill the same spots on the treasure list for both characters. (So if it seems like you've skipped an area or two on your list, it probably means it's an area that you'll explore with both, and that you get to do it with that character later.

Also, most of the time, treasure chests can be gotten on your first visit through the world. Only The Grid (to my memory) needs a second visit to get treasure chests, but those are in areas that got skipped with that character, so if you remember where you found them with the other character, it shouldn't be too difficult.

Also, for some reason, while I know that 3D is a bridge game (like Chain of Memories), it kinda feels like a console game in my opinion. I wonder why...

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
Okay, I'm going to need some help here: Late game boss spoilers ahead Okay, so I'm in The World That Never Was as Riku and I'm fighting Ansem in the darkness or some poo poo, I don't even understand. I beat his first form with the smaller shadow that follows him, then he changed into the huge shadow creature thing. I have no idea how to fight this. He KOs me almost instantly and blocking/dodging don't seem to do much. Is there a strategy for this fight?

Edit: Okay, nearly all of this guy's attacks break blocks, he's aerial as well so you can't really attack him on the ground and quickly block the attacks that ARE blockable and the majority of his attacks do about half your health bar. What the gently caress is with this boss, this is ridiculous. And I can't even quit the fight because there are two other bosses in front of it. :mad:

Double edit: The attack where he flings a million magic 8 balls at you is literally impossible to survive as they can't be blocked and do all of my health in two hits or less.

Waldorf Sixpence fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jul 26, 2012

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Okay, I'm going to need some help here: Late game boss spoilers ahead Okay, so I'm in The World That Never Was as Riku and I'm fighting Ansem in the darkness or some poo poo, I don't even understand. I beat his first form with the smaller shadow that follows him, then he changed into the huge shadow creature thing. I have no idea how to fight this. He KOs me almost instantly and blocking/dodging don't seem to do much. Is there a strategy for this fight?

Edit: Okay, nearly all of this guy's attacks break blocks, he's aerial as well so you can't really attack him on the ground and quickly block the attacks that ARE blockable and the majority of his attacks do about half your health bar. What the gently caress is with this boss, this is ridiculous. And I can't even quit the fight because there are two other bosses in front of it. :mad:

Double edit: The attack where he flings a million magic 8 balls at you is literally impossible to survive as they can't be blocked and do all of my health in two hits or less.

Do you have Once More or Second Chance? If not, I'd recommend you use Dark Aura, as I've found it easy to get all hits in. Ditto with Meteor Crash. Heal when you need to, and when he flings you away, use Flowmotion to get back to him as fast as you possibly can, else he bombards you with BIG BALLS OF FIRE DARKNESS! (I'd also recommend you use Flowmotion to avoid them too) Otherwise, use your best commands and good luck!

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Folt The Bolt posted:

Do you have Once More or Second Chance? If not, I'd recommend you use Dark Aura, as I've found it easy to get all hits in. Ditto with Meteor Crash. Heal when you need to, and when he flings you away, use Flowmotion to get back to him as fast as you possibly can, else he bombards you with BIG BALLS OF FIRE DARKNESS! (I'd also recommend you use Flowmotion to avoid them too) Otherwise, use your best commands and good luck!

I just found a much easier strategy than all this. I made a second deck with nothing but Curaga, Cura and Cure in it and just spammed the hell out of them whenever I took damage. It's not stylish, but it worked.

Edit: And now the next boss is even worse: How do I kill young Xehanort when he does that time stop bullshit? It spawns this clock in the middle of the level which I guess I have to attack but it's sending out like a million Xehanorts to constantly stunlock me to death. And when you fail, you have to do his first form AGAIN. What the gently caress, game?

Folt The Bolt posted:

• Answer the three questions in an end cutscene correctly. You can do this from Theater Mode as well, I believe.

What are the correct answers? I'm not sure if I gave the right ones or not.

Waldorf Sixpence fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jul 27, 2012

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else.

Sex_Ferguson posted:

I feel ashamed for liking this part of the game when I was 12.

poo poo, I'm old.

Been watching the cutscenes online in english since I don't own/have no access to a 3DS and I'm loving hearing and seeing full cutscenes with the TWEWY kids. Just makes me wish they'd do a full fledged fully rendered sequel or something.

Black Feather
Apr 14, 2012

Call someone who cares.

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Edit: And now the next boss is even worse: How do I kill young Xehanort when he does that time stop bullshit? It spawns this clock in the middle of the level which I guess I have to attack but it's sending out like a million Xehanorts to constantly stunlock me to death. And when you fail, you have to do his first form AGAIN. What the gently caress, game?

Just keep trying. You have to attack the clock while trying to avoid the Xehanort copies. I believe they have a pattern on how they attack you, and after certain attacks they stop spawning for a few moments, so make sure to atttack as much as you can on that instant.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

What are the correct answers? I'm not sure if I gave the right ones or not.

I've... kinda forgot, but you can do those answers in the Theater Mode, like you can with the end credits dive, so I guess you don't have to do Young Xehanort again. I think the correct answers has to do with "something important" and "friend" though.

Also, here I was preparing myself to do Special Portal 6 in Traverse Town. It lies in the Fountain Plaza. I had cleared the game. And thus, I was forced to fight Julius instead. He kicked my rear end! The next time though, I made him my bitch after a couple of tries! Found out he could lock one of your commands whenever he bounces at you from the building, while electrified. Overall though, he's nowhere near as unfair as BBS's Mysterious Figure (AKA 3D's Young Xehanort) is. I didn't even need two Curagas in my deck!

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Squeenix KH3D Launch Event Photos

Squeenix could make a killing if they'd make a bunch of prop keyblades and sell them. And even more if they made OrgXIII robes.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

There is not a more amazing picture in that whole set, I defy any of you to find a better one.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
I accept your challenge :colbert:

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Kheldarn posted:

Squeenix KH3D Launch Event Photos

Squeenix could make a killing if they'd make a bunch of prop keyblades and sell them. And even more if they made OrgXIII robes.

This place has already got a good looking enough XIII coat. Of course it's like half a grand though.

http://abbyshot.com/gaming/enigma-custom-size/

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Ugh my horrible ex was into that poo poo, she spent hundreds of dollars on org coats. Which, btw, is the laziest costume. Buy coat, do hair, bam instant org member.

The Kingdom Hearts fandom is terrifying

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Wait, coats? Why would you need more than one? "I better wear the nice Org coat today. Xemnas is doing an inspection."

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Gaseous Snake posted:

Wait, coats? Why would you need more than one? "I better wear the nice Org coat today. Xemnas is doing an inspection."

If you want to be super detailed, some of the members have different sleeves, I think.

An alternative explanation would be that they got all screwed up at cons and she bought replacements.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

She owned at least three, all different materials and quality.

She was one of those girls who would dress up as boy characters and make out with other girls dressed up as boy characters :barf: thanks for keeping the fandom horrible, ladies

Black Feather
Apr 14, 2012

Call someone who cares.
I think it would be pretty cool to own an accurate replica of an Org. coat, but I would just keep it in my closet forever. I'm not into cosplay at all, and I wouldn't want to be caught dead actually wearing it.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Black Feather posted:

I think it would be pretty cool to own an accurate replica of an Org. coat, but I would just keep it in my closet forever. I'm not into cosplay at all, and I wouldn't want to be caught dead actually wearing it.

This is what I thought too. More so about the Foxhound coat the site has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Eh. I'm more thinking of a ~$50 one for Halloween. The keyblade would be the main thing for me.