Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

hitension posted:

You got me- I don't know Arabic. I did learn some of the basics from a friend who interspersed just about every sentence with "If you're a man, you say ..." ; "If you're a woman, you say..." which is why I felt that it was strongly gendered. In my experience, if there's a division of the way men and women talk, it's not going to be in women's favor. I would like to learn more and see the argument you're talk about!

Well, adjectives are genderized, so a woman would add a letter to the end of certain words, and the same would occur if you were talking to a woman. I wouldn't be suprised if there were differing speech patterns amongst men and women (I'm not exposed enough to the language to know), but isn't that true in many langauges?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

Xandu posted:

I wouldn't be suprised if there were differing speech patterns amongst men and women (I'm not exposed enough to the language to know), but isn't that true in many langauges?

From the perspective of Pragmatics this is true of every language.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Funny story about sexism, in Chinese the word for slave is nú 奴 and the word for woman is nǚ 女. They're almost homophones. And they share the root phonetic. (Not sure if "root" is the right word here but it seems like it.)

In classical Chinese, if you combine the word for servant 臣 and the word for woman you get 姬 which means concubine.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Jun 22, 2012

Ronald Spiers
Oct 25, 2003
Soldier
You would think the Communists would've rectified these sexist characters when they simplified them.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I don't know about Chinese language being more gender specific. Chinese is a pretty fuzzy language.

The word "Her" was a very late addition to Chinese language. Before the spoken language became standard form of writing language. "之" was a unisex word used to refer to third person. Then in early 20th century newspapers started using the characters "他" and "伊" as he/him and she/her. Later "她" replaced "伊" as the standard female third person objectivce. At the time there was even a female second term character "妳", it was phrased out (to match international convention?)

In other news, here is a set of amazing colored photography taken in 1983.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lwdemery/collections/72157613342016241/

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Jun 22, 2012

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

Hey guys, I learned Chinese so that I can write shame in another language
妳 is still used in Taiwan at least.

奴 is not necessarily sexist-- it's probably a case where the radical is for the "nu" sound and not the meaning. 怒 Anger, is another example -- you can tell from the top part that it's pronounced "nu", but the bottom part gives you a hint to the meaning (heart has something to do with anger).

The big issue is that it's hard to change characters, so it's hard to root out those "sexist" radicals. In English it's easy enough to write (s)he, in Spanish to write ell@, but in Chinese it's a huge hassle to change what characters look like, at least in terms of computing.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

menino posted:

One of my socio linguistics books (Tannen?) said that Thai women often add (or added, maybe it's not in use now) the particle "ka" to sentences, which actually means "slave". Not sure if Reindeerf or somebody else can verify this.
Hah, haven't heard that. Both genders have a polite participle, "ka" for women or "krab" for men. I suppose it's possible that the initial meanings were related to gender-based chattel. I'm no expert on Thai lanuage (Try Pompous Rhombus), but I kind of doubt it because they're so close and because while there have always been culturally defined gender roles, slavery was another concept entirely as I understand it and was ended quite some time ago under Rama V, while the words persevered. Because they act simply as polite participles and are used universally (at least among commoners, addressing royals is different I'm guessing) it seems like they would've fallen from favor had they been some kind of reflexive reference to one's status as a slave. Women also use "ja" and "na ka" casually and I'm guessing there's a female equivalent for "Krab Phom" too, but I can't think of having heard it. Ka and Krab in usage end up being the Thai version of saying "yes" to a question, which is typically, ambiguously Thai. There's no exact "yes" and "no" in the language, you normally acknowledge by restating the verb. The closest equivalent is "chai" (is) or "mai chai" (is not), but they're not interchangeable with yes and no. Answering "Ka" or "Krab" is the wonderful way in which people acknowledge that you said something and seem to communicate affirmation, but have actually only acknowledged that they understood what you said, which is really fun in business. "Please upgrade the database, Somchai" "Krab" - 4 hours later - "Did you finish upgrading the database?" "Oh can not, I not know how."

There were other words for slave and master and a gently caress ton of titles and things, probably similar to Chinese (based on age, social prominence, official title and so on). Interestingly, Thai men no longer have noble titles, but Thai women do (Khunying and whatever).

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jun 23, 2012

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010

ReindeerF posted:

Interestingly, Thai men no longer have noble titles, but Thai women do (Khunying and whatever).
I'm not sure about noble titles but royalty can still bestow other honorifics to both men and women. That white dude who played in some orchestra or made a jazz album in Thailand (I don't remember his name or what he did exactly) was given some kind of honorific by the big man. I'm not sure what the means in the scheme of things but it's probably a nice thing to put in your Thai resume.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Modus Operandi posted:

I'm not sure about noble titles but royalty can still bestow other honorifics to both men and women. That white dude who played in some orchestra or made a jazz album in Thailand (I don't remember his name or what he did exactly) was given some kind of honorific by the big man. I'm not sure what the means in the scheme of things but it's probably a nice thing to put in your Thai resume.
I get confused about which is what. For example, old line families still apply the "Na Ayuttayah" or whatever their bloodline to the dynasty is, but that's a leftover. You don't hear men referred to with a title the way you hear Khunying unless he's a monk or royalty (or has some official position that's not to do with a title bestowed by the royals - like teacher). My understanding is that Khunying and the other one, I forget, are the only ones in use anymore. Unless you're in Cambodia and you're Hun Sen, then you just bestow the title Somdech upon yourself and roll with it.

On a side note, apparently some of the more rural folks have taken to giving their kids Khunying as a cheu len (nickname), which is pretty funny.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

I didn't see it in the OP, but is anyone familiar with The Private Life of Chairman Mao by Li Zhisui. I was about to cite something from it for a paper, but then I noticed the controversy over it on its wikipedia page.

edit: I'm writing about the Chinese perspective on negotiations with the US in 1971 and 1972, I've already got Mao's China and the Cold War, but any other suggestions are appreciated as well.
edit2: Saw some discussion of it earlier in the thread, I'll probably cite with a disclaimer since there's nothing particularly controversial in the passage.

Xandu fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jun 25, 2012

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001
What page in the thread is that discussion on? I've been interested in the book's credibility for years, since I first read it.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Discussion starts here

french lies
Apr 16, 2008
This American Life has an episode up about Americans in China. I'm not American myself but I can identify with a lot of the conundrums and situations described in the piece, from the incessant request for TV appearances to the cultural "chasm" that you inevitably run into between you and the Chinese.

Other than that, there's some fairly interesting BTS on Kaiser Kuo, Sinica and the lives of elite China commentators like Osnos and Jeremy Goldkorn.

Nevermind16
Jun 28, 2012
I'd like to inquire which is considered better in China for moving up the political-social ladder, money or family connections, I ask because recently factory owners and rich Chinese are starting to have more of a voice, but can money get you as far as family connections in current Chinese politics?
See article for details
http://www.forbes.com/sites/russellflannery/2012/07/04/sany-denies-report-it-will-cut-30-of-workers-says-it-will-control-staff-increase/

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
THREAD INVASION!

The SOUTHEAST Asia thread is recalling its ambassadors from your hegemonic threadpire, but would first like to ask a question (I would anyway).

Back to being serious for a moment, I posted this in the SE Asia thread:

quote:

China is completely loving its own foreign policy right now and I'd like to hear what the China thread has to say about why that is. I would guess it's because the internal military powerhouse is pursuing one agenda and the internal foreign policy powerhouse is pursuing another and this is the end result. Still, that's just a guess, because pulling this stuff with the South China Sea while the Americans are in the middle of their Asian Charm Offensive is a completely amateur move. China is getting its diplomatic clock cleaned right now in Asia and it had been making steady, silent advances like a motherfucker (still is, but who knows how much longer if they keep this up).
It was in response to a (clearly government allowed) protest against China in Vietnam. The protest was over the South China Sea chicanery, which is causing a lot of anger at China throughout Southeast Asia (and non-Southeast Asia, wherever that is).

I'm not implying that everything there is correct, but I am interested in the astute analysis of the very-serious China thread's denizens. I cannot make sense of why China's blowing its foot off in foreign policy terms this way at this exact point in time. It is an incredibly misguided thing to do, but there has to be some reason it's happening.

Don't read into that, by the way, that I think America is great and China is bad or that being in one country's sphere of influence is inherently better, it's just that there's no other way to look at what's going on right now from what I can tell.

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

ReindeerF posted:

THREAD INVASION!

The SOUTHEAST Asia thread is recalling its ambassadors from your hegemonic threadpire, but would first like to ask a question (I would anyway).

It was in response to a (clearly government allowed) protest against China in Vietnam. The protest was over the South China Sea chicanery, which is causing a lot of anger at China throughout Southeast Asia (and non-Southeast Asia, wherever that is).

I'm not implying that everything there is correct, but I am interested in the astute analysis of the very-serious China thread's denizens. I cannot make sense of why China's blowing its foot off in foreign policy terms this way at this exact point in time. It is an incredibly misguided thing to do, but there has to be some reason it's happening.

Don't read into that, by the way, that I think America is great and China is bad or that being in one country's sphere of influence is inherently better, it's just that there's no other way to look at what's going on right now from what I can tell.

Posted in SE thread, but will put here instead:

Anecdottaly I met an American guy working for a think tank here in Beijing who said that a lot of these moves on the offshore islands are being pushed by the energy companies and that was his focus. He said that the CCP had no individual department for energy or Coast Guard issues, and that as a result both of these interests were spread among different ministries, leading small groups, and SOEs. So it's really hard to tell who's calling the shots on these issues.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

That's what Sinica said as well.

I talked to a friend's CHINESE GIRLFRIEND who is actually a grad student in political science here in China (长沙 if anyone wants to hang out some time, I am staying in China indefinitely while most of my American friends went home) and she seemed pretty clear that Chinese sovereignty claims extend from being the first ones to actually show up and chart these islets.

The vast majority of Chinese people don't care about Chinese oil company profits or the bureaucratic infighting between the PLAN and the Fisheries Enforcement Service or whatever, but they do care about China's prestige on the world stage, I think the nationalist claims from the islets are probably more important to the Chinese government from the perspective of how willing they will be to de-escalate future conflicts.

SE Asian people have to remember that the Chinese have a massive inferiority complex when it comes to the world stage, and they are eager to assert their dominance and get "respect" whenever they can. I can see this manifesting in bizarre ways when it comes to SE Asia, since China simultaneously has their inferiority thing and their cultural chauvanism thing going against you guys.

So in relation to my earlier claim, I really think the Chinese government's actions will be determined by mass opinion, which doesn't care at all about oil profits. If Sinopec or whatever is angry, the Chinese government won't care because they can stomp that poo poo flat if they need to. If the Chinese people are angry, the Chinese government will try to harness that anger to gain legitimacy.

My personal scenario for war in the South China Sea is that local Chinese actors like the Hainan government or oil or fishery companies instigate some bullshit land-grab (sea-grab?) conflict, and that the Chinese government gets dragged into it by propagandist fuckups and general Chinese anger that the 小国家 aren't giving them enough respect.

Chinese resentment of the Imperialist period is a little frightening sometimes, since they really don't understand modern Western perspectives on China at all. The Chinese tend to assume that they are weak and that the Americans hold the same perception, while Americans tend to assume that China is powerful and that the Chinese hold the same perception, and in my opinion it's a catalyst for conflict.

Should I post this over in the SE Asia thread or what? Frankly the China megathread has been quite dead recently so I don't know if this will be seen otherwise.

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

ReindeerF posted:

THREAD INVASION!

Meh, Vietnam has a claim that's even more reaching than China's. The stink they are raising over 西沙 is because they apparently sold poo poo they didn't own to foreign companies and now China's planning on developing it instead. China's had complete and total control of the islands they are bitching about since like 1974.

The US is trying to respond to the growing sphere of influence in SEA and Africa, but they are neglecting S. America where China's making even more inroads. Kinda funny to watch in all honesty.

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003
You also have to realize that most Chinese people are very poorly informed about what these disputes are. My university students insisted that the native people of the Diaoyu/Senkaku Islands were indeed Chinese still under the aggressive imperialist yoke of Japan, clamoring to return to the homeland.

Same with the South China Sea. It's on every map of China as prominently as Alaska is on an American map. You'll see it included on a Chinese weather report when you watch the news. All the 'disputed territories' like Aksai Chin in India and the little glacial nubs in Pakistan, well there's no mention of any sort of dispute on a Chinese map, nor will they ever be taught about such things in school. For most of these people hearing that no other countries recognize or agree with their territorial claims is a bit of a shock, kind of like if Americans went to England and someone told them "Hey by the way North Dakota isn't yours." Sure you've never been there and you don't know anyone who comes from there and have never given it a moment's thought in your life, but you'd be pretty taken aback. This is a big part of the benefit of censorship, the Chinese government has a line and no one else goes against it. Their version of Crossfire isn't having two people debate whether the Spratleys belong to China or Vietnam, it's debating whether they should teach the monkeys their place or simply stand back and smirk at them while they rage ineffectually.

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003

Pro-PRC Laowai posted:

Meh, Vietnam has a claim that's even more reaching than China's. The stink they are raising over 西沙 is because they apparently sold poo poo they didn't own to foreign companies and now China's planning on developing it instead. China's had complete and total control of the islands they are bitching about since like 1974.

The US is trying to respond to the growing sphere of influence in SEA and Africa, but they are neglecting S. America where China's making even more inroads. Kinda funny to watch in all honesty.

That's not true at all, Vietnam has de facto control of many, many more of these islands than China, though China did beat them in a conflict for one in the 1970s. Also the US is doing everything it needs to in relation to Chinese-South American relations. China telling Brazil and Argentina "You don't need to produce anything, just sell us raw materials" and basically trying to institute economic colonialism on the entire continent, people in South America don't think China is their new best friend.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Pro-PRC Laowai posted:

Don't use Chinese characters next time, please.

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

Fall Sick and Die posted:

That's not true at all, Vietnam has de facto control of many, many more of these islands than China, though China did beat them in a conflict for one in the 1970s. Also the US is doing everything it needs to in relation to Chinese-South American relations. China telling Brazil and Argentina "You don't need to produce anything, just sell us raw materials" and basically trying to institute economic colonialism on the entire continent, people in South America don't think China is their new best friend.

The big stink has been over xisha (aka Paracels) and China does in fact have complete and total control of the islands.

Pro-PRC Laowai fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jul 9, 2012

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

In light of the public resignation and subsequent imprisonment of a Chinese Catholic bishop, I was wondering if anyone could explain the relationship between the Vatican and various Christian denominations, with particular focus on Catholicism. From what I understand, the Chinese government has set up a state Catholic Church that rejects the supremacy of the Pope, while the Vatican has an underground Church which supports pro-democracy movements in the country.

Sorry if this is a bother, I am just saw the article on my newsfeed and am legitimately curious regarding the issue.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

QuoProQuid posted:

In light of the public resignation and subsequent imprisonment of a Chinese Catholic bishop, I was wondering if anyone could explain the relationship between the Vatican and various Christian denominations, with particular focus on Catholicism. From what I understand, the Chinese government has set up a state Catholic Church that rejects the supremacy of the Pope, while the Vatican has an underground Church which supports pro-democracy movements in the country.

Sorry if this is a bother, I am just saw the article on my newsfeed and am legitimately curious regarding the issue.

There has been a bit of rapprochement between the Catholic Church and Chinese state Catholicism in recent years: while the PRC and the Church both claim they are the sole authority over who appoints bishops in China, the Church has been "re-"appointing those bishops appointed by China in parallel so that Rome and Beijing agree on who all are bishops. This is probably what emboldened the bishop in the article you posted, though whether or not he expected to be arrested or thought it would strengthen Rome's influence in China isn't clear.

The Atlantic had a good article on it a few years ago (though it's probably a bit dated now): http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2007/07/keeping-faith/5990/

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Haha wow, I did not expect to see the Free Investiture controversy come up this century, anywhere in the world. Catholics you so crazy.

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor
This is from last week:

Attack Raises Fears of a New Gang War in Macau

quote:

A senior figure in Macau’s gambling industry was severely beaten by six men in a restaurant at his own casino, the highest-profile case of violence in the city’s booming gambling business since Portugal handed control of the former colony back to China in 1999.

It was a brazen act recalling the rampant gang warfare that gripped Macau in the late 1990s — before the more recent arrival of Las Vegas casino developers like Sheldon G. Adelson and Steve Wynn and their billions of dollars in investments. The weekend assault against the gambling industry figure, Ng Man-sun, a casino hotel investor, bore the signs of a textbook attack by triads, or Chinese criminal societies, experts and analysts said on Wednesday.

Interesting, especially in light of Evan Osnos' God of Gamblers article from April. Still working out the kinks in Chinese Vegas.

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010

menino posted:

This is from last week:

Attack Raises Fears of a New Gang War in Macau

Interesting, especially in light of Evan Osnos' God of Gamblers article from April. Still working out the kinks in Chinese Vegas.
It's always fascinating to see how these high level triad figures work. That's pretty ballsy even for them because you would assume big time investors like this have state connections that can put plenty of heat on them. I guess the only conclusion is that maybe he pissed off another ultra wealthy senior casino executive somewhere who put his triad goon connections on him.

Nevermind16
Jun 28, 2012

Modus Operandi posted:

It's always fascinating to see how these high level triad figures work. That's pretty ballsy even for them because you would assume big time investors like this have state connections that can put plenty of heat on them. I guess the only conclusion is that maybe he pissed off another ultra wealthy senior casino executive somewhere who put his triad goon connections on him.

So I have read about male children being captured and sold due to the one child policy, do you think the child kiddnapping is organized by a paticular criminal group in china, or is just a wide spread type of crime

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

So is Daniel Bell a respected China scholar?

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/11/opinion/a-confucian-constitution-in-china.html
http://www.csmonitor.com/Commentary/Global-Viewpoint/2012/0724/What-America-s-flawed-democracy-could-learn-from-China-s-one-party-rule

The first article in particular strikes me as terrible. Is this at all a popular idea amongst the Chinese?

quote:

In modern China, Humane Authority should be exercised by a tricameral legislature: a House of Exemplary Persons that represents sacred legitimacy; a House of the Nation that represents historical and cultural legitimacy; and a House of the People that represents popular legitimacy.

The leader of the House of Exemplary Persons should be a great scholar. Candidates for membership should be nominated by scholars and examined on their knowledge of the Confucian classics and then assessed through trial periods of progressively greater administrative responsibilities — similar to the examination and recommendation systems used to select scholar-officials in the imperial past. The leader of the House of the Nation should be a direct descendant of Confucius; other members would be selected from descendants of great sages and rulers, along with representatives of China’s major religions. Finally, members of the House of the People should be elected either by popular vote or as heads of occupational groups.

Xandu fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jul 25, 2012

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Wait wait wait, that byline! I know her! "Jiang Qing and Daniel A. Bell"

The Gang of Four has returned! The Communist leadership is experiencing a Zombie uprising! I hope they have shotguns and chainsaws in Zhongnanhai.

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010
It's pretty safe to say that anything that has Jiang Qing attached to it loses massive credibility right off the bat.

Hong XiuQuan
Feb 19, 2008

"Without justice for the Palestinians there will be no peace in the Middle East."
Hmm I think I'm missing something here.

Hong XiuQuan fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Jul 25, 2012

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Jiang Qing was the pseudonym of Mao Zedong's wife and one of the main instigators of the Cultural Revolution. Also, she died in 1991.

Hong XiuQuan
Feb 19, 2008

"Without justice for the Palestinians there will be no peace in the Middle East."

Fangz posted:

Jiang Qing was the pseudonym of Mao Zedong's wife and one of the main instigators of the Cultural Revolution. Also, she died in 1991.

No, not that. The mix of Jiang Qin and Daniel Bell, which I warped into Jon Halliday of all things and went ahead and said 'Surely Jung Chang" before realising my mistake. So... 'which byline?' I guess.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Edit: Found the original article I wanted to post. The WaPo appears to have replaced it with an article about how the government is telling the truth about the deaths.

http://www.570news.com/news/world/a...cture-neglected

(Washington Post replacement article)
http://www.washingtonpost.com/world...7U5W_story.html

quote:

BEIJING, China - Recent heavy rains across much of China have left nearly 100 people dead, state media said Tuesday. More than a third of the fatalities were in the flood-ravaged capital, where some residents questioned whether the city's rapid push for modernization came at the expense of basic infrastructure such as drainage networks.

Authorities in Beijing were still trying to pump water from sections of flooded highway after Saturday night's torrential downpour, the city's heaviest rain in six decades.

The city government said 37 people died: 25 drowned, six were killed when houses collapsed, one was hit by lightning and five were electrocuted by fallen power lines.

Beijing residents shared photos online of submerged cars stranded on flooded streets, city buses with water up to commuters' knees and cascades of water rushing down the steps of overpasses.

Nearly 57,000 people were evacuated from their homes and damage from the storm reached at least 10 billion yuan ($1.6 billion), according to a report by the Beijing Daily newspaper on the Beijing government website.

Heavy rain also proved deadly elsewhere in the country. The official Xinhua News Agency reported late Monday that 95 people had died and 45 were still missing across 17 Chinese provinces and municipalities, including Beijing. It cited the Civil Affairs Bureau.

Although Beijing's worst-hit areas were in rural hilly outskirts of the city, the scale of the disaster was a major embarrassment for China's showcase capital, where such things are not supposed to happen.

The city has seen tens of billions of dollars poured into its modernization, including iconic venues for the 2008 Olympics, the world's second-largest airport, new subway lines and dazzling skyscrapers. But the floods raised questions about whether basics like drainage were neglected.

"If so much chaos can be triggered in Beijing, the capital of the nation, problems in urban infrastructure of many other places can only be worse," said a commentary in Monday's state-run Global Times newspaper. "In terms of drainage technology, China is decades behind developed societies."

The criticism mirrors some of that seen after a high-speed train crash that killed 40 people in Wenzhou in southeastern China a year ago Monday. That turned into a public-relations nightmare for the government and led many to question the quality of infrastructure in the country and the government's transparency on disasters.

Some pointed out that Saturday's deluge was historic in nature, with the Global Times noting it was the heaviest rainstorm in the capital in 61 years. The worst-hit area of the city received 460 millimeters (18.4 inches) of rain on Saturday.

"In just one day, it rained as much as it normally rains in six months in Beijing," said Zhang Junfeng, a senior engineer from the Ministry of Transport who runs weekend tours of Beijing reservoirs and gives lectures on water conservancy. "No drainage system can withstand rains this big."

In Qinglonghu, a village about 40 kilometres (25 miles) from downtown Beijing where many migrant workers from surrounding provinces have settled, at least two dozen brick homes were flooded. Local residents said Monday they were terrified to go back into their homes for fear they would collapse. They said they were sleeping outside, had no drinking water or food and had yet to get any assistance from local officials.

At least three people from the village were believed killed, residents said, including a man crushed by a falling power line and a woman and her 8-month-old baby who were washed away.

"No one wants something like this to happen," said Cao Fuxiang, the woman's cousin. "Life is so difficult. We left our town to make some money and now she has disappeared."

Piles of dirt from a large construction site in Qinglonghu appeared to have formed a dam that kept the downpour from draining into a river, worsening the rain's damage.

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Jul 25, 2012

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor
According to the almighty Wiki, this particular Jiang Qing is male, currently pre-undead, and some sort of retro Confucianist that critiques both Marxism and New Confucianism.

I know little to nothing about any of this, but I would say he's trying to revive pre-Republican ideas of Confucianism? I'm sure there are people much more qualified than myself who can talk about these things in detail.

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

Warcabbit posted:

Edit: Found the original article I wanted to post. The WaPo appears to have replaced it with an article about how the government is telling the truth about the deaths.

http://www.570news.com/news/world/a...cture-neglected

(Washington Post replacement article)
http://www.washingtonpost.com/world...7U5W_story.html

No level of drainage infrastructure can handle 18 inches of rain all at once... just not possible.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Pro-PRC Laowai posted:

No level of drainage infrastructure can handle 18 inches of rain all at once... just not possible.

That said, having an actual sewer system probably wouldn't have hurt.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
True, most NYC has ever gotten is 8, as far as I notice. Rained 43 inches in Texas once. My favorite line is the last in the article, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

quote:

"In terms of drainage technology, China is decades behind developed societies."

In my experience Chinese people tend to make these sorts of proclamations on the assumption that if something bad happened in China, it must be better in the West. I have no idea whether this quote is accurate or not, but I see these sorts of statements a lot and in many cases I know they are wrong.

This week on the train a guy asked me how much faster the high-speed trains were in America. He didn't really have a response when I told him we don't have any. Actually in the same conversation I mentioned the recent Chinese space flight. I was immediately told Chinese space technology wasn't as good as America's. I said that the space shuttles are all in museums and the U.S. does not currently have any functional spacecraft. These sorts of things seem to end the conversation for a while because Chinese people just have nothing to say to that.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jul 25, 2012