Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
Would anyone recommend In the Mood For Love as a blind buy? I don't know much about it other than it's set in Hong Kong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

barkingclam posted:

Would anyone recommend In the Mood For Love as a blind buy? I don't know much about it other than it's set in Hong Kong.

Yes, but only if you like slower movies. Also, wait for the bluray to come out (and the November sale).

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
I cant believe Le Havre comes out a DAY after the sale ends. Now I'll have to wait until November to pick that one up.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
It may just be because I've seen the movie a whole bunch of times, but Videodrome has the best HD transfer I've ever seen. It's really gorgeous and I didn't realize before just how carefully it's shot and designed. As chaotic as the plot is, it feels like there's nothing on screen that doesn't have a good reason to be there.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
What's up with the subtitles on these things? I could read them fine on 12 Angry Men, Low, but High and Low was loving unreadable at points.
I was planning on picking up Branded to Kill and Three Outlaw Samurai too, but now I'm hesitant to get anymore black and white movies.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
That's a really common complaint for High and Low. I've never had an issue with Criterion's other b/w Blu-rays but High and Low has all those guys milling around in blown-out white shirts that kind of eat the subtitles. So far it seems like the exception to the rule - the other Kurosawas, 8 1/2, Beauty and the Beast, and the b/w Bergmans all scan just fine.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
I've bitched about their subtitles a lot in this thread. It's just so hard for me to read them on a lot of a black and white films, and I really just don't get why they won't add a 1px black outline.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Same here. Watching The Exterminating Angel or any Bergman was a headache. I'd be fine with yellow subtitles at this point. I can't believe that we're not to the point, technologically, to just have the ability to custom select the font size and color for subtitles.

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing

barkingclam posted:

It's (obviously) a mood piece. It's very contemplative and sly and beautiful. Watch the trailer. It's very similar with the music, except they talk sometimes and get stuck playing mahjong and the bluray will actually look very nice. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnFjSHQFVkA

Magic Hate Ball posted:

That's a really common complaint for High and Low.
It's the most infuriating thing ever. I understand it costs a lot to get a border or yellow subs on a film print, but it's inexcusable for a DVD or Blu. You just have to toggle a setting while creating the file. EVERYONE wears a white shirt in that film on top of it being black and white.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Yeah, this is just right. Has a nice feel, too.
Yeah, I feel like every other post I make now is complaining about Criterion's subtitles. It seems like all it would take is a phone call or email and then a mouse click.

The only thing I can think to do is e-mail them and post on their facebook. It doesn't even have to be a well-written email, just "your blu-ray subtitles are hard to read" or something. If they get enough maybe they'll do something about it, but until then they seem too lazy to do anything about it, and the longer it takes the more releases end up with lovely subtitles, so atleast let them know you don't like them.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
I have sent multiple emails. :qq:

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
Honestly, I've never had a problem with reading the subtitles on Criterion blurays, and I've never had a problem reading the ones for High and Low. I guess I chalk that up with living for decades with the horrible subtitles on pre-handover Hong Kong films.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The Royal Tenenbaums - 1080p screencaps

:aaa:

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
Well, grabbed Andrei Rublev and The 39 Steps on this last day. I've never seen the former, and had it highly recommended to me, so I can't wait to bust it open.

Also sweet christ how did I never know about that 50 Years of Janus Films set? It's positively lovely.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

99 CENTS AMIGO posted:

Well, grabbed Andrei Rublev and The 39 Steps on this last day. I've never seen the former, and had it highly recommended to me, so I can't wait to bust it open.

AR is most likely going to get an upgrade in the near future. On the other hand, that's been rumored for years and hasn't happened yet.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
As old-hat as it looks on the outside, the Rublev DVD has a really sexy transfer.

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!
Chris Marker died the other day :(

Glad I just got Sans Soleil on blu ray, I might have to organize a watching out of respect.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

Pfirti86 posted:

Chris Marker died the other day :(

Glad I just got Sans Soleil on blu ray, I might have to organize a watching out of respect.

There's no might about it. :colbert:

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you

HEAVEN'S GATE

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

snooze

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

I hope my tv can display all those browns properly.

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!

barkingclam posted:

Do you like women in qípáos? Or really long takes? Or Cantonese? Then go for it.

I really wish they'd put out a blu ray of 2046, I can't be the only one who liked that movie.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

STEVIE B 4EVA posted:

HEAVEN'S GATE

Here's hoping they have extensive special features about its failure and how it affected Hollywood.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Honestly, as far as historic failures go, I'd rather see Cleopatra.

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006

VoodooXT posted:

Here's hoping they have extensive special features about its failure and how it affected Hollywood.

I hope they include Final Cut, it's really impressive how the film got so hosed so quickly. The movie isn't all that bad, it's interesting and beautiful but the main battle was so covered in dust it made all acting and cinematography useless.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
I can see why they'd do Heaven's Gate but I have no interest at all in watching it again.

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Cleopatra'd be way more interesting (at least to me personally) but I think it has a better critical rap and is kinda overlooked these days in that category.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Pfirti86 posted:

I really wish they'd put out a blu ray of 2046, I can't be the only one who liked that movie.

I liked it, but not as much as In the Mood for Love, but I've only seen them both once, so there's a decent chance my opinions will flip if I watch them again. That happens every time I rewatch a Godard film, it moves around in my mental hierarchy of Godard films.

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!

Skwirl posted:

That happens every time I rewatch a Godard film, it moves around in my mental hierarchy of Godard films.

That's easy, everyone knows Pierrot le fou is the best Godard film, followed closely by Une Femme est une femme :colbert:

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

recommending both Le Samourai and Le Doulos (both Melville, Samourai is a little better and stars Alain Delon, while Doulos stars Jean Paul Belmondo). They are great and you can learn a thing or two from Melville.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Fag Boy Jim posted:

I would do unspeakable things for a Criterion Blu-Ray of Myra Breckinridge.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Caligula, please.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

apparently Criterion is working on The Man Who Knew Too Much

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

FitFortDanga posted:

apparently Criterion is working on The Man Who Knew Too Much

The original or the remake?

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The original or the remake?

Hopefully the remake with the original on a second disc.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I would assume the original

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

According to Spike Lee's Twitter feed, they are also working on 25th Hour, which is great - that's a film that deserves its second life it seems to gradually be getting from critics.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.
So it looks like Hard Boiled and The Killer are long out of print on DVD. Does that mean Criterion lost the licensing, and there's no chance of a blu-ray other than this Dragon Dynasty Bullshit? Has anyone seen the transfers on these non-criterion blu-rays? Am I better off on the look out for the OOP DVDs?

Also, I love Tony Leung. How depressing is In the Mood for Love 1 to 10. 10 being 2046.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Shawn posted:

So it looks like Hard Boiled and The Killer are long out of print on DVD. Does that mean Criterion lost the licensing, and there's no chance of a blu-ray other than this Dragon Dynasty Bullshit? Has anyone seen the transfers on these non-criterion blu-rays? Am I better off on the look out for the OOP DVDs?
Yeah, Criterion hasn't had the rights to the Woo films for years.

I haven't seen the Dragon Dynasty blu rays, but I understand they're pretty weak. None of the DVD releases are that great either. The Criterion DVDs are definitely not worth it unless you're after them for the collector value---and then you'd still have to worry about 90% of the copies out there being bootlegs. I could run through the pluses and minuses of the versions I own---which is a lot of them---but none of them are that great. My recommendation would be to rent them if you just want to watch them, and if you want to buy a copy either wait a few more years and hope for a better edition or just buy whatever version you can get on the cheap.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Shawn posted:

Also, I love Tony Leung. How depressing is In the Mood for Love 1 to 10. 10 being 2046.

I have the Dragon Dynasty Blu of Hard-Boiled, it's not great but it's watchable. I also have the Criterion DVD of The Killer and it's not good, doesn't have the English audio track, print quality is poor, and I don't even think it's anamorphic, so it's window boxed on modern tv's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
I have the bootlegs of the Criterion Woo films. I got them off eBay years ago and they have that cheap, crappy plastic smell endemic to bootleg DVDs.