Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

pork never goes bad posted:

For black tea an actual kettle will work better than a water boiler because those last 2-3 degrees can make a positive difference with some black teas.

http://www.amazon.com/Aroma-AWK-115...keywords=kettle
if you are worried about plastic or care about looks just a bit

http://www.amazon.com/Proctor-Silex...keywords=kettle
if not

If you need it to look *~*~*nice*~*~* then get one of the Capresso glass ones, but those are like 90.

@Haier - many Darjeeling taste like Chinese oolongs because Darjeeling uses var. sinensis plants, and because most producers don't fully oxidize their teas seeking to maximize the characteristic "muscatel" aroma of Darjeeling.
I've had that second kettle for three years and it still works like a champ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

surrender posted:

Any recommendations for an electric kettle, preferably around $80 or lower and available on Amazon?

We ordered this kettle from Amazon for my office/department, three 20-something coffee and tea addicts pretty much had this thing running 12 hours a day for six months with zero issues. Looks like it's going for $70 right now.

Amazon's selection has improved dramatically in the last 18 months, but at the time it was one of the best in terms of water volume/power/features (adjustable, accurate digital thermostat). 1.5L is enough water for two personal size french presses.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
I've been using an electric kettle at work daily similar to the ones posted. It seems to have some mineralization or something inside the kettle now after a year. Is there a recommended method to clean it out?

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
With mine, I first went for a vinegar and water solution and used the self-clean cycle, followed by a second water only self-clean. Later when I noticed that didn't work I purchased and used a fair amount of food grade citric acid (sold as a powder, bulk is cheaper than the packets advertised explicitly for cleaning) and ran another clean cycle, and finally a water only clean cycle. Came out pretty much brand new on the inside!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

My coworker is anal about the glass coffee pot (needs to be optical grade clear to brew in, apparently :rolleyes:), he uses this stuff. Website shows it working on stainless steel

http://www.cleanthatpot.com/Clean_That_Pot.html

MadameFishcake
Oct 21, 2010
Tried Lapsang Souchong yesterday in a cafe because of this thread: iced, with a teeny bit of agave sweetener. The barrista objected to icing it and wanted to serve it warm with cinnamon and steamed milk... which I may try at home.

Very burning-wood-y in smell, maybe a bit like jerky, but I found it really nice and nostalgic-- it tasted a bit like a breakfast tea I have lying around somewhere. I can't shake the taste of it, though, so I may be ordering some today.

Azereki: If you like calming, I always enjoy a cup of chamomile or rooibos with honey at night. I also really like earl greys with lavender and or/cornflower just after lunch.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

New to this tea-not-from-a-bag thing, and really enjoying it so far. I've got a big jar of delicious local honey, are there any particular teas that would go well with it?

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

OtherworldlyInvader posted:

New to this tea-not-from-a-bag thing, and really enjoying it so far. I've got a big jar of delicious local honey, are there any particular teas that would go well with it?

Green tea with honey is a nice combo. I prefer my black teas straight but it doesn't hurt to try it once with just about anything. Worst case you dump it and make another cup without.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Hi guys, new to tea here but I decided to go shopping with a friend and check out some tea shops around LA. Here are my experiences as a newbie.

Went to a shop called Bird Pick in Pasadena. I pass by this shop a lot and never bought anything, but always loved looking in because they have massive glass jars and it's nice to see what the teas look like. Well, my friend told me even before smelling the teas that they were probably stale. Made me whiff several and said to remember what they smelled like.

Went to Intelligentsia, bought a sealed bag of green tea. Broke it open and smelled it. Somewhat stronger smell.

Then we went to Chado. Chado keeps all their teas in metal tins. When I whiffed them holy poo poo the scents were so much stronger than either Bird Pick or Intelligentsia. I was so impressed I bought four different green teas.

So I guess the lesson of the day is... keep all your stuff in tins?

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
Glass lets UV light in which can contribute to stale tea. I use airtight glass jars but I keep them in a cupboard to keep the light out. Airtight is very important along with a stable temperature. With tea shops you also have to consider the volume they do. A big jar could sit on the shelf for a year or two before being refilled. and the bigger the jar is the more times they open it letting oxygen in.

Has anyone done their own tea blending? Is there much more to it than mixing teas and dried herbs together? I have access to a great local herb and spice shop and if I could make anything halfway decent it would be a good way to make a bunch of cheap holiday gifts.

breaks
May 12, 2001

If you stick to leafy stuff that makes a decent infusion on its own, you can just try different ratios of tea:whatever until you find something you like. Mint works well, for example. Don't use really nice tea for this, of course, but it's a good way to add some interest to unspectacular tea that's perfectly drinkable but doesn't have much in the way of unique or special flavor.

On the other hand, your average strawberry-cinnamon-vanilla fruity "blended" tea is hit with a flavor extract spray and has some bits and pieces in there more for appearance than for flavor. If you are trying for something like this, depending on what particular flavor you want you may or may not need to use an extract, but in any case keep in mind that you might get a weaker/different flavor than what you are expecting if you don't go that route.

breaks fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jul 22, 2012

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me
I recently got back from a stay in Georgia, where I drank sweet tea nearly every day. There's something about sweet tea in the South, it has a lot of tannins in it and I think it's fabulous.

I've tried making sweet tea a couple times since I got back with limited success. It's okay, but it doesn't have those awesome, bitter tannins. Anyone know how to make sweet tea and make it taste authentic instead of just bland? Any advice would be helpful :)

Dog eats Dog
Jun 4, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

Hi guys, new to tea here but I decided to go shopping with a friend and check out some tea shops around LA. Here are my experiences as a newbie.
So I guess the lesson of the day is... keep all your stuff in tins?

Curious, but were the things you were smelling flavoured teas or just straight leaves? I find the scent of flavoured teas quite deceiving as they almost never taste as good/strong as they smell.

Anyways here are some suggestions for tea stores to I guess Canadians/Americans that are not in the OP:
http://www.urbantea.com/. I went to their downtown Vancouver store and the guy selling tea was very helpful and knowledgeable. Lots of selection of teas, but it is pricier than other stores (at least the ones I go to usually).

http://www.chadoteahouse.com/. They only sell traditional Japanese green teas here (nothing flavoured unless you consider genmaicha flavoured). Their stuff ranges from not so expensive to pretty expensive.

edit:

Look Under The Rock posted:

I've tried making sweet tea a couple times since I got back with limited success. It's okay, but it doesn't have those awesome, bitter tannins. Anyone know how to make sweet tea and make it taste authentic instead of just bland? Any advice would be helpful :)
If you are chilling your tea over ice, that is hot tea over ice, make sure you use more tea. Try 1.5-2x the amount. If you are chilling in the refrigerator, you are probably either not using enough tea or not steeping long enough.

edit2: http://www.lupiciausa.com/ forgot about this place but they have really tasty teas, home of some of my favourites. They seem to have retail stores in California and Hawaii and Japan. They don't seem to ship outside the USA.

Dog eats Dog fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jul 25, 2012

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me
I've been using two of the large-sized teabags that are supposedly iced-tea-size. It says to use 2 of them to 2 quarts of water. I'm boiling the water, pouring it over the teabags, steeping for 10-15 minutes, and putting in the fridge to cool.

I tried again night before last and still didn't get any tannins, but one of the teabags broke so there's a bunch of loose leaves at the bottom of my pitcher. I poured some this morning, and voila, tannins. Does this mean I need to steep it, like, overnight?

Also, funny story: when I first moved into my apartment I was really craving peach tea. This was before I discovered Good Tea, so I bought a box of peach teabags. The first couple times I tried the peach stuff, I absolutely hated it, so the teabags have just been sitting in a drawer for a while now. When I made this pitcher of sweet tea the other night I thought I'd give it a little bit of subtle peach flavor by throwing one of the (normal sized) teabags into the pitcher. Well, one teabag gave the whole two quarts a serious kick in the face of peach. No wonder I didn't like the tea, it's way too strong.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Look Under The Rock posted:

I recently got back from a stay in Georgia, where I drank sweet tea nearly every day. There's something about sweet tea in the South, it has a lot of tannins in it and I think it's fabulous.

You can try making it the way folks make sun tea, which is throwing a generous amount of black tea into a glass jar and putting that outside in a hot summer day. In the evening, pull it back inside, strain the leaves, serve with ice, lemon, and a lot of sugar. Some people may say that there's something of a health hazard when making sun tea, but whenever I've had it, I haven't gotten ill from it, but I figure better safe than sorry!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Dog eats Dog posted:

Curious, but were the things you were smelling flavoured teas or just straight leaves? I find the scent of flavoured teas quite deceiving as they almost never taste as good/strong as they smell.
It was Chado that I was at. Their regular plain green teas smelled stronger than Bird Pick's flavored teas.

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits
Here's a basic run-down of the southern style sweet tea that I grew up around:
1. Get a bunch of generic tea bags from the grocery store. Orange Pekoe is typically the only identifier it'll have beyond it being a black tea.
2. Fill a small pot with maybe 2 or 3 cups of water and bring to a boil. Put in about a handful or two of teabags.
3. Boil for 5-10 minutes (or longer sometimes).
4. Drain teabags and toss 'em. Pour the tea concentrate you just made into a large glass jar of some sort.
5. Add water to dilute the tea and lots of sugar (to taste).
6. Serve over ice with lemon slices and fresh mint leaves (bonus if you just picked them out of your back yard).

e: You really need to cool the tea down before you ice it. Hence the concentrate and dilution in this recipe/technique. Otherwise the ice is just going to dilute the tea even more when you don't want it diluted so it'll be bland water. You can even hold back on diluting the concentrate very much and depend on the slow melting of the ice to dilute it for you later.
e2: I re-read how you said you were making it. It's not concentrated enough for an actual southern-style tea if you're just using two of those large bags for two quarts. You should at least double up the recipe. And boil the water with the bags in it. It's sacrilege to any other method of tea brewing, but that's why southern tea is so tannin-heavy. If it's too strong or too bitter you just add more water/ice or sugar :)

^^^^ I've heard the thing about sun tea being potentially dangerous before, too. I've never gotten sick from it the times I've had it, but I can see why it could become a health hazard since the water is just sitting out and never brought to a very high temperature. It's also possible to cold-brew tea in a similar style. Pretty much the same approach as sun tea except you leave it in the fridge for a day or two instead of outside for a few hours.

DurianGray fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jul 23, 2012

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Yep! The difference between hot/sun/cold brewing is how bitter you want your tea to taste. In my experiences, cold brewing restricts tannins from getting out of hand, where as sun and hot brewing release that stuff for a cup with a hard edge to it.

Dog eats Dog
Jun 4, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

It was Chado that I was at. Their regular plain green teas smelled stronger than Bird Pick's flavored teas.

I guess that bird pick place really had stale teas if their flavoured teas had less scent.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Bird Pick: big glass jars with not-very-airtight seals in a shop with lots of windows and lots of sun coming in. I'm told hey have a few exotic teas that are hard to find elsewhere, but I wonder if there's any point in getting them if they're going to be stored badly too.

Anyways, I have a relatively weak sense of smell but Chado's is very fragrant to me. Made a few practice pots of sencha, going to use it as reference point against green tea variants such as houjicha, gyokuro later in the week.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Jul 24, 2012

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

So apparently you can get a lot of adagio teas (maybe all of them?) from Amazon, with free Prime shipping and everything. It's pretty great.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Anyone got a recommendation on good tea tins?

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

The Upton tins and bags are excellent, if utilitarian.

SoulTaco
Apr 8, 2003
These are pretty good tins.

http://www.plymouthtea.com/jaststaiti.html

Their tea is pretty good too. I recommend the Friesian, Boston Tea Party, and Scottish Breakfast blends.

http://www.plymouthtea.com/bostonteaparty.html
http://www.plymouthtea.com/friesmor.html
http://www.plymouthtea.com/scotbreak.html

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

The Adagio ones are pretty but I got the free red white and blue ones from their 4th of July promotion and the colored ones seem to be way shoddier. I don't think the lid on my blue one is airtight. :(

Dog eats Dog
Jun 4, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

The ones I got for free from David's tea seem to be good. You can buy them for 2.50 separately also. If you want pretty ones, as much as I don't like them, teavanna has a large selection of pricey Japanese paper covered ones.

SoulTaco
Apr 8, 2003
You can also get some cookies in a tin from the dollar store like this, wash and air it out then store your tea in it. These tins are air tight, plus you have extra cookies.

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits

Hawkgirl posted:

The Adagio ones are pretty but I got the free red white and blue ones from their 4th of July promotion and the colored ones seem to be way shoddier. I don't think the lid on my blue one is airtight. :(

I was wondering if those were like the regular ones or not. Guess I didn't miss out on much :( I am glad that I kept all the Adagio tins I got while they were still using them to fill all their orders instead of the bags.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
So does anyone know any online shops that can ship directly from China? Yunnan Sourcing is the only one I know, but it's more of a Pu-erh joint. No Longjing - no deal.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Life in Teacup was doing a preorder drive for Longjing, I did a post about it in this very thread some time ago, I think! Due to the time-sensitive nature of the leaves though you've missed out for this year and they've cleared out their stock.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
Thanks, the thing is, I live closer to China than to America, so ordering from China just seems to make more sense to me. I'll keep googling around for now, while I still have some White and Longjing left from a visit to Shanghai. Maybe I'll resort to ordering from Europe if that fails. Buying from local suppliers seems like a crapshoot, all stuff I got from them was a bit... aged.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I was under the impression that the good longjing simply doesn't get exported outside of China by law?

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Hmm, well, good luck on that, woodenchicken! If you do find direct Chinese sources that ship, let us know. I know that there's quite a few on eBay such as ldllu that are based directly in China and ship abroad too, so that might be a thing you'll want to look into.

Steve Yun posted:

I was under the impression that the good longjing simply doesn't get exported outside of China by law?

Not necessarily true. I don't know about the legal aspect of it, but it's more that it's in high demand in their domestic markets and tend to command a better price than abroad. Similarly, due to it being time sensitive, it's quite a bit cheaper to just not ship it (since you'd need to ship by air with all the appropriate packaging) and sell it local.

Life in Teacup, however, gets away with it because they have a relationship directly with the farmers, and by taking in preorders they only acquire the stock that will move versus having quickly-staling Longjing that is, effectively, lost money. Most places do something like that that do import.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Very cool. My friends would always get theirs from one of their moms who would visit China every now and then and brings back some of the higher grade stuff. Now that I'm taking an interest in tea I asked them to score me some from the next trip, but if I can get it through a supplier that would be perfect

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

aldantefax posted:

I know that there's quite a few on eBay such as ldllu that are based directly in China and ship abroad too, so that might be a thing you'll want to look into.
Ooh. That'd work for me. Remember any more names off the top of your head?

VVV Okay, Idllu looks promising. Thanks for the heads-up! We'll see if there are more.

woodenchicken fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Aug 3, 2012

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Bob McBob might know some more, but while I was window shopping for gaiwan and the like I came across ldllu. You might try some searches such as "2012 Longjing" or searches for "gongfu cha" or "gongfu tea" might turn up some results.

SoulTaco
Apr 8, 2003
You might want to try different spellings too like Lung Ching.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I'm almost through my tea bags and have decided to go for loose leaf. Anyone in Seattle have experience with Market Spice teas? The lack of any sugar or artificial sweeteners seems to be a plus, and I really like orange & cinnamon.
They have a shop in Pike Place and would be a convenient stop when I get off the ferry on my way home.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
Some people love it, some people hate it. A friend of mine opened a sealed jar of the bags, took a big whiff and ended up retching in the bathroom for a few minutes.

They usually have a sample station set up in the back so you could start there and try a small box of bags first. You'll definitely want something airtight to store it in since all the flavor and sweetness is coming from the orange and cinnamon oils.

Downtown Seattle has at least a few good options for loose leaf so I wouldn't limit myself to Market Spice just for the convenience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Cpt.Wacky posted:

Some people love it, some people hate it. A friend of mine opened a sealed jar of the bags, took a big whiff and ended up retching in the bathroom for a few minutes.

They usually have a sample station set up in the back so you could start there and try a small box of bags first. You'll definitely want something airtight to store it in since all the flavor and sweetness is coming from the orange and cinnamon oils.

Downtown Seattle has at least a few good options for loose leaf so I wouldn't limit myself to Market Spice just for the convenience.

Yeah, Seattle's pretty good for tea. I actually picked up some decent silver needles tea from the spice shop that's about two blocks from Pike's Place, for a rather reasonable price. I forget the name, but it's along the street just underneath Pike's, farther left-ish (if you're looking at the water) from the market.