Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

particle409 posted:

From the twitter:

I love how 99% of the feedback he's gotten has been trolling. And the worst part is, he seems to be taking so much of it as honest feedback (hookerbots).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

A surfing dog?! posted:

Steampunk and Pokemon? It's a good thing I'm 12 years old or I might have thought this was a stupid rear end idea

Really? Sounds like profit gold to me.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Sigma-X posted:

You'd think for a game that raised a few million dollars they could afford a senior artist at $70k-$80k a year instead of a junior at $40k a year.

If I can look at the game for hours without giving me a headache that's enough for me as long as the rest is great.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Do not even ask posted:

Combed over the thread and didn't find this anywhere so...

Super Flash Bros are making a point-n-clicker adventure flash game for the iOS for 25k with an extra 5k apparently needed to get the game actually released on PC/Mac. Features the voice of Dan McNeely Edwyn Tiong as the game's titular character.

Here's the "backer-only" demo if you're interested or whatever :ssh:

In the latest update they've said they'll be making the game for PC/MAC even if they only pass the Main Goal. They still have a long ways to go, though. It's a pretty neat game so I hope this will convince more people!

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
I sort of wish the colour scheme in Wasteland was less orange and more desaturated grey-yellow like Fallout and Fallout 2. But really that's just because I loved the original Fallout games so much. Every surface felt dirty and old and the outdoor lighting always made it seem like it was overcast. The palette available for Wasteland makes me unsure of how much the graphics that were in the game correspond to what the world is "meant" to look like, so I'm happy to take the word of the people who made the world.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1829034266/volgarr-the-viking

Holy poo poo this game looks loving awesome. It's already at over 30% and it just launched today. They're gonna need them some fuckin' stretch goals.

2D slash-em-up like Golden Axe, or Rastan. There's tons of gameplay footage in the video so you should just go watch that. They've really put in a lot of focus on mobility, making the gameplay fluid and generally awesome. Basic things like being able to move while swinging your sword, dodge-roll, double-jump/sword-spin move (think Samus' screw attack), stuff like that. There's a throwing spear secondary-weapon, and it also sticks in walls to create a platform to let you climb to higher areas.

The power-up/upgrade system is pretty kickass, too. It's a great middle-ground between something complicated like Symphony of the Night and a really simple like, say, Mario. They specifically mention Ghouls & Ghosts armor system as an inspiration, and it's basically an elaboration on that. There are various gear pick-ups that you can get, and they visibly show up on your character, shield, bad-rear end viking helmet, etc. It helps get rid of messy HUD elements when you can just see everything at a glance, and helps make you feel more Viking. Apparently you also get different special attacks along with the gear, but they said they're saving that for later.

God drat, for $10 I'm backing this poo poo so hard. Predicting they're gonna need to come up with some stretch-goals sooner than later.

For added Viking, check out the stellar theme music: http://soundcloud.com/kochunhu/v-lgarr-themes-warrior-theme

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jul 24, 2012

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

That does look cool. The graphics are kind of crappy, but I know both that Spyro game as well as Web of Shadows on DS got a decent amount of praise for their combat systems and they aren't asking too much. Good on them.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Hakkesshu posted:

That does look cool. The graphics are kind of crappy, but I know both that Spyro game as well as Web of Shadows on DS got a decent amount of praise for their combat systems and they aren't asking too much. Good on them.
The graphics remind me a lot of the games they're tapping for inspiration... I don't know - I actually kind of like them.

Either way, game looks completely metal. I hope they add stretch goals, and that one of those goals is iOS support.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Shalinor posted:

Either way, game looks completely metal.

To me, the thing that sells this the most is that the head guy's name is "Kristofor Durrschmidt".

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
The emphasis on ~hardcore~ gameplay and sandwich metaphors turned me away, but goddamn if they don't have some awesome feelies in the higher tiers. The arcade cabinet takes the bakery, though.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Well here's an interesting series of words: A Kickstarter funded Unreal engine game based on the vicodin-powered dreams of Tom Jane.

My connection is bad like you wouldn't believe, so I've only seen half of the video and it's Jane talking about the story which is a bit eh as presented, my be good in execution in the comics. It's still an interesting project, I think.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

BizarroAzrael posted:

Well here's an interesting series of words: A Kickstarter funded Unreal engine game based on the vicodin-powered dreams of Tom Jane.

My connection is bad like you wouldn't believe, so I've only seen half of the video and it's Jane talking about the story which is a bit eh as presented, my be good in execution in the comics. It's still an interesting project, I think.

Fedora spotted.

On a handsome guy, I guess.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

BizarroAzrael posted:

That's a cool looking alien, but other than that I don't see what the appeal of this project is supposed to be. Don't we already have a lot of games where you blow up aliens?

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

XboxPants posted:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1829034266/volgarr-the-viking

Holy poo poo this game looks loving awesome. It's already at over 30% and it just launched today. They're gonna need them some fuckin' stretch goals.

You have my Axe Volgarr!

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I hope everyone has gone to the bathroom recently, because I'm fairly certain the anticipation for this possibly maybe hopefully upcoming Kickstarter will make you pee a little. Here is an interview with GamesIndustry International, with this rather tasty exchange:

quote:

Q: One last thing. Tempted by a Planescape Kickstarter?

Chris Avellone: Yes! Very tempted.

Q: It seems like a prime target...

Chris Avellone: Yeah - I think the challenges we've spoken about would all have to be considered and to be honest I don't know if I'd want to do it as a Planescape game - I think a better approach would be to ignore the D&D mechanics and respect what Planescape was trying to do and what the game did and see if you can do what Fallout did when it became the spiritual successor to Wasteland.

I think if you made a game using some of the concepts of Planescape, the metaphysical ideas and the plane travel, without using the D&D mechanics, you could actually come up with a much better game. With Torment, I'd argue that the D&D base actually, in places, got in the way of the experience. It was a lot harder to make a game with those ideas in it with D&D mechanics. So much that we had to break a lot of them. We had to ignore certain spells, change up the class mechanic so that you can switch at any time you like by remembering abilities.

That was stuff that D&D didn't allow for, it was to restraining in some respects. If we did do a spiritual successor, then I don't know if we'd use the Planescape licence or attach the mechanics, perhaps something that has a different feel to Torment.

Please, yes.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

If that happens, I'd almost like it to not have any combat at all. I'd really like to see what Obsidian could do with an adventure game.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
Holy poo poo Chris Avellone please do that. I've never wanted anything more in my life.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Hakkesshu posted:

If that happens, I'd almost like it to not have any combat at all. I'd really like to see what Obsidian could do with an adventure game.

I agree and also no Nameless One as a main character in the game either. That would be pretty amazing, but we all know it wouldn't happen because people wouldn't be able to handle it.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Part of the game's charm was being able to overpower everything after getting a few upgrades from talking to characters and finding hidden items.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k
Shadowrun Online has switched to having two pay models. You can either be on the "freemium" server (F2P with micro-transactions) or the campaign server, which is sort of the Guild Wars model of paying for the base game and expansions, but no other payments. The campaign versions of the rewards are $5 more than the original F2P premium versions. They also added some alpha gameplay footage.

AllanGordon
Jan 26, 2010

by Shine
Super Motherload which had a kickstarter put up a few weeks ago doesn't look like it's doing so well. 8k raised so far out of a 50k goal with only 17 days left.

I thought the game looked pretty fun and I remember playing through motherload when I was younger. Doesn't look like it's gotten much for media exposure however, so them making their goal seems doubtful.

Anyway a Planescape kickstarter would be excellent. I'd like to think though that even publishers nowadays could recognize the demand for such a game, but that might just be me being optimistic.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
Didn't see this posted before, but Alpha Colony posted their 20 ways to screw your Kickstarter! (ergo things they did wrong, as well as some right ones).

Also, the GameJournos guy is making a Kickstarter for a webseries about notable videogame ports. Nothing big but the goal's just $4k, so if you like the guy's brand of humor or just wanna support him, this might be right up your alley.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UsiB2hzyb8

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Number one: Ask for half a million dollars for a loving MULE clone.

Edit: I'm not going to hold my breath for another Planescape game. It's doubtful that Wizards/Hasbro would license a basically dead IP out, and by the time the would-be developers were finished filing the other identifying marks off they'd have lost a lot of support from inflexibly hardcore fans and people who might have been attracted to the name.

Bieeanshee fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jul 26, 2012

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.

Bieeardo posted:

Edit: I'm not going to hold my breath for another Planescape game. It's doubtful that Wizards/Hasbro would license a basically dead IP out, and by the time the would-be developers were finished filing the other identifying marks off they'd have lost a lot of support from inflexibly hardcore fans and people who might have been attracted to the name.

He already said outright it would be more like Fallout was to Wasteland. If fans are going to get behind anyone to design a totally new world and have it stand up to the classic, it'll be Chris Avellone.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Hakkesshu posted:

The Longest Journey but by Obsidian, by the sound of it?

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
Rabble rabble PS:T combat was terrible etc., but when it comes down to it the game would have been quite shallow without the character/party building and gear progression. Most of the content wasn't related to the main storyline directly and that sort of thing doesn't really make sense outside of a CRPG does it? I can remember plenty of games with features that I felt were badly implemented and which I had no interest in playing with, but still maintain that the game would have been incomplete and worse without them.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Hakkesshu posted:

I agree wholeheartedly. Not that I didn't enjoy the original game but I'd like to see this very much.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Seashell Salesman posted:

Rabble rabble PS:T combat was terrible etc., but when it comes down to it the game would have been quite shallow without the character/party building and gear progression. Most of the content wasn't related to the main storyline directly and that sort of thing doesn't really make sense outside of a CRPG does it? I can remember plenty of games with features that I felt were badly implemented and which I had no interest in playing with, but still maintain that the game would have been incomplete and worse without them.

I'm not saying PS: T would have been better without combat (it wouldn't), but for a whole new game? Sure. I'd rather they focus on their own strengths (storytelling) instead of trying to craft an entire new system for something that doesn't necessarily need to be there. There are ways to make a game like this that don't include dice rolling.

If you remember, adventure games used to be the most progressive genre in gaming, easily. You don't have to just stick with the standard SCUMM model, either.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Jul 26, 2012

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Seashell Salesman posted:

I see the RPG character progression stuff as just hooks to get you to go through all the interesting side content. An adventure game
could have progression while skipping the stab 100 thugs part. I envision a Planescape adventure game not like the standard LucasArts style but more in the vein of the Lone Wolf choose your own adventure books (but with much less linearity). That is that puzzles are solved with multiple solutions by skills, magic, or items (like some were in Planescape), and side content ives you these things although not always useful ones.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

If we are making dream projects for Obsidian, I would want to see something along the lines of Planescape meets Quest For Glory, where you can "make" a character and the various skills will help you do some sidequests, but may lock you out of others because you don't have the right skills to progress. Unlike other RPGs, the point of sidequests wouldn't be to get loot or exp, but to experience a short little story or learn more about the world.

A boy can dream...

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Have any of you ever played adventure games? They generally take a beautiful fully-realized world of innovative dialogue and storytelling and force you to solve an illogical multi-stage puzzle that makes you scream at the monitor in order to actually experience the brilliance they are hiding around the corner.

Light puzzle things make a game good--like the Secret World. GrandpaPants' point about Hero's Quest/Quest For Glory is probably the best direction to go if they want to have the gameplay be innovative and fun.

It is important to speculate about this before we even know if it will happen.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Alpha Protocol/the Telltale Walking Dead games would be a good examples to follow, with their timed, branching dialogues that change how the certain events both large and small play out.

Fits right in with Torment's "nature of a man" philosophy and the idea that belief shapes reality.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

If he does a kickstarter for a spiritual successor to PS:T, the only reason I wouldn't donate day one is that my wife would have already drained our bank account for it.

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Alpha Protocol/the Telltale Walking Dead games would be a good examples to follow, with their timed, branching dialogues that change how the certain events both large and small play out.

I haven't played Walking Dead yet, but I feel that Alpha Protocol is the only game I've played that gets interactive dialogue right. No loops, no long, awkward pauses or transitions between animations, it just flows. I don't care much about seeing a sequel to AP, but I would love to see more games using those mechanics.

The problem, of course, being that AP's conversations work as well as they do in large part because they are all very well voice acted, animated, and choreographed, and doing that for something with an amount of dialogue on par with PS:T would mean the game would cost $500M to make and ship on eighteen DVDs.

The degree of branching they introduce and the whole "no right or wrong choices, just choices" philosophy is a different thing entirely, but something I also pretty much take as read that a spiritual successor to PS:T would have.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

If I have to read (I will absolutely never listen to it, gently caress VA forever) the dialogue and make a decision in 0.5s in PS:T 2 then I don't think I'll enjoy it so much. The original game didn't feel like it wanted me to rush and I sure as hell didn't want to.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Ice-Pick Lodge, makers of Pathologic, the absolutely brilliant The Void, and the utterly bizarre Cargo! The Quest for Gravity, have made a Kickstarter for their next game, Knock-Knock. It's a bizarre, Russian mixture of Lode Runner and the movie Home Alone.

They have a very small goal to reach and I would really love it if we could help get them there. Ice-Pick Lodge are among the most brilliant developers in gaming history, and they could use this help (since I don't think Cargo! sold very well...).

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Hah. Those guys.

Threw them a :fivebux:

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /
Well at least I already know that game will be amazing.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working
Giving $20 to Ice-Pick Lodge!

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
You should probably email RPS, as well. I know I did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but Super Techno Kitten Adventure only needs to raise $94,000 of its $100,000 goal in the next eleven days! I'm sure we can pull it off!

(And wow. Basic gameplay for Knock, Knock looks... basic, but I'm still in for twenty. Hope the video is representative of the game, because that is seriously stylish.)