Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aug 14, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
This might be the most asked question but I checked the OP and nothing:

How the loving hell do you get chrome to launch a new MAXIMIZED window by default, instead of opening in a new tab or a new window not maxed? I've googled this poo poo and downloaded who knows what and the most I can get it doing is opening a new window but it's unmaxed in the center of my screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Has anyone got the "3 finger down swipe to show open tabs" thing to work? I've got it on but nothing happens...It would be so useful!

No, but I have a gesture in BetterTouchTool mapped to the keyboard shortcut for the tab overview (Shift-Command-T). It gets the job done, but it is a little finicky.

something original
Sep 9, 2011

298298 posted:

This might be the most asked question but I checked the OP and nothing:

How the loving hell do you get chrome to launch a new MAXIMIZED window by default, instead of opening in a new tab or a new window not maxed? I've googled this poo poo and downloaded who knows what and the most I can get it doing is opening a new window but it's unmaxed in the center of my screen.
That's interesting, I now checked and on my PC new window and incognito window launch as maximized by default. I didn't alter any option, though.

Just a thought: Maybe if you selected "continue where I left off" in settings and then exited Chrome while the window is maximized, it would remember the position when you relaunch it and from now on every window would launch as maximized?

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil
I can't get Facebook to let me post anything or add comments while using Chrome now. This just started today, anyone else have this issue, or know what might be causing it?

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

RagingBoner posted:

I can't get Facebook to let me post anything or add comments while using Chrome now. This just started today, anyone else have this issue, or know what might be causing it?

I'm not sure why that's happening to you. I'm running stable (20.0.1132.57), and I have no issues.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

RagingBoner posted:

I can't reply to Youtube comments anymore, if that's a related issue (on Beta). I haven't cared enough to go trying other browsers though

ufarn
May 30, 2009

RagingBoner posted:

What happens? Do you click the button with nothing happening?

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
I have had an issue where I can't post to facebook or youtube, I hit the post button and it's as if I never hit it. Refreshing the page has always fixed it for me though.

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007
So I switched to the dev version a year or two ago to get some neat features early. I've run into some issues and I'd like to try to switch back to the stable. What major features will I lose out on?

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.

Yaos posted:

I have had an issue where I can't post to facebook or youtube, I hit the post button and it's as if I never hit it. Refreshing the page has always fixed it for me though.

I think its a Facebook thing, because I have had the same problem using my phone on a variety of different browsers.

Or maybe Facebook just hates google, I dunno.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Montalvo posted:

No, but I have a gesture in BetterTouchTool mapped to the keyboard shortcut for the tab overview (Shift-Command-T). It gets the job done, but it is a little finicky.

Awesome! That worked perfectly. I hadn't bothered getting bettertouch even though goons mention it all the time...turns out it's pretty useful.

TwoKnives
Dec 25, 2004

Horrible, horrible shoes!

Drevoak posted:

So I switched to the dev version a year or two ago to get some neat features early. I've run into some issues and I'd like to try to switch back to the stable. What major features will I lose out on?

I don't think there's anything significant.

http://googlechromereleases.blogspot.ie/

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007

TwoKnives posted:

I don't think there's anything significant.

http://googlechromereleases.blogspot.ie/

That's what I was thinking. I remember the last few big updates were just behind the scenes stuff.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Chrome dev v22.0.1215.0 on Mac OS X 10.7.4 -- is anyone else experiencing strange behaviour on some websites? For example, Facebook's status box is no longer detecting when I post links, and I can't open any messages either. Another example is that the download link on this website doesn't work: http://www.adultswim.com/promos/201206_singles/index.html

Civil Twilight
Apr 2, 2011

Montalvo posted:

Chrome dev v22.0.1215.0 on Mac OS X 10.7.4 -- is anyone else experiencing strange behaviour on some websites? For example, Facebook's status box is no longer detecting when I post links, and I can't open any messages either.

I had some issues on Facebook earlier today with AJAX-y things not working, but I suspect that was on their end, not Chrome's. It seems to be working properly now.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I'm on the most recent dev version and am having issues with gifs not always animating. Is this a noted problem or did my setup mess up?

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

I'm seeing the GIF problem too.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
GIF problem here as well. Also, Chrome crashes at random times when I access a new URL from the start page.

edit: And Facebook's messages still aren't showing up.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
I'm having serious issues with the stable release of chrome. Every day it fails to start up: I click the icon and it highlights as if it's loading then fades and never opens. I've tried deleting the default profile but that doesn't help. The only solution I've found is re-running the setup program. I have to do this every day. Any ideas what's wrong?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

nexus6 posted:

I'm having serious issues with the stable release of chrome. Every day it fails to start up: I click the icon and it highlights as if it's loading then fades and never opens. I've tried deleting the default profile but that doesn't help. The only solution I've found is re-running the setup program. I have to do this every day. Any ideas what's wrong?

Are you deleting the entire User Profile folder under App Data? I have done this a couple times and its like a brand new install.

UFO
Sep 11, 2001
ASK ME ABOUT NEVER HITTING THE REPORT BUTTON AGAIN.
I'm great at pissing off the admins!
A few coworkers and I are stumped with some of the theme screenshots. Where are users grabbing the attached app "bar"? Is it an app/extension or option within chrome?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

something original
Sep 9, 2011
That looks like an older version of Chrome. They changed that. But there are extensions that let you change the new tab page like these ones

something original fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jul 26, 2012

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

kri kri posted:

Are you deleting the entire User Profile folder under App Data? I have done this a couple times and its like a brand new install.

Yeah, I deleted the Default folder from \AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data and it's still the same. Am I missing anything?

I'm also using a portable version of chrome to use a separate profile, could this be an issue?

nexus6 fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Jul 27, 2012

ufarn
May 30, 2009
My browser has begun freezing, whenever I open a new set of tabs in Chrome. And I just switched, because Opera drains too many resources from my computer. Weird.

hamza
Mar 3, 2007
Anyone having issues with YouTube HTML5 on Version 20.0.1132.57? About 50% of the time, when I go to a YouTube page, it'll have a greyed out window for the video (the same as the click-to-plugin windows) and say "Couldn't load plugin." This is only for HTML5 videos and it's fine once I reload the page.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

nexus6 posted:

Yeah, I deleted the Default folder from \AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data and it's still the same. Am I missing anything?

I'm also using a portable version of chrome to use a separate profile, could this be an issue?

I have had all sorts of issues with running portable versions of chrome. Also delete the entire User Data folder. Just move it, it will re-create the folder and this way you have a backup.

hamza posted:

Anyone having issues with YouTube HTML5 on Version 20.0.1132.57? About 50% of the time, when I go to a YouTube page, it'll have a greyed out window for the video (the same as the click-to-plugin windows) and say "Couldn't load plugin." This is only for HTML5 videos and it's fine once I reload the page.

I have been having all sorts of issues with chrome and youtube lately, I need to refresh a couple times to get the video to load. I disabled my Fancy Tube extension and it seems OK now, try a incognito window maybe?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I used FB photo zoom or whatever once upon a time, and then I switched to another photo zoom app, and now I'm using two: Hover Zoom and Photo Zoom for Google+™, Facebook etc. Only one of them works on Facebook, and another works on SA, and both of them work on a lot of sites (Etsy, Wikipedia, IMDB, probably others). What do you all use for photo zooming?

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

FISHMANPET posted:

I used FB photo zoom or whatever once upon a time, and then I switched to another photo zoom app, and now I'm using two: Hover Zoom and Photo Zoom for Google+™, Facebook etc. Only one of them works on Facebook, and another works on SA, and both of them work on a lot of sites (Etsy, Wikipedia, IMDB, probably others). What do you all use for photo zooming?

Hover Zoom works fine for me everywhere.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Whizbang posted:

Hover Zoom works fine for me everywhere.

As Google would like to say, +1 to this.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Turns out the actual "problem" I had was that Photo Zoom would follow links to get the full High Res picture and Hover Zoom wouldn't, but there's a setting in Hover Zoom to do that, so all is well!

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Is anyone having extremely bad Adobe Flash issues? It is basically preventing me from using the Internet on my laptop. YouTube or NBC Olympics Extra, or even a Flash advertisement, will completely disable my laptop until I am able to close the window with those things in it.

e: guess it might be an isolated video driver problem, it is working on my desktop with no issues.

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Aug 1, 2012

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Chrome worked super well on an E-350 machine with the flash heavy NBC Olympics site, while IE choked and stuttered and Firefox wouldn't even load the videos. Not sure what to make out of all of that.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
NBC Olympics Live Extra specifically, the replays and live streaming through the YouTube module, has been really terrible for me. Extremely choppy.

I'm not sure what the bottleneck is. Internet connection is top notch, Core 2 Duo 2.66, 4GB RAM, it's just really hit or miss for some reason.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

kri kri posted:

I have had all sorts of issues with running portable versions of chrome. Also delete the entire User Data folder. Just move it, it will re-create the folder and this way you have a backup.

I stopped using portable chrome and that seems to have resolved my issues. I would have never have used it if I had realized you can use multiple profiles simultaneously.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

So new things I've noticed in Chrome 21 are... A new star icon for adding a page to your favorites and the default "globe" favicon is now a blank page. And that's it.

Oh well, at least hardware accelerated Flash seems to work somewhat now. Until it breaks again.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Stare-Out posted:

So new things I've noticed in Chrome 21 are... A new star icon for adding a page to your favorites and the default "globe" favicon is now a blank page. And that's it.

Oh well, at least hardware accelerated Flash seems to work somewhat now. Until it breaks again.
Native access to Web Cams, Microphones and Gamepads. As well as "Retina" (HiDPI) support for systems that have it.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I want to install Adblock Plus Beta's development build on my version of Chrome, but past v21 you're no longer allowed to install extensions from outside the Chrome store unless you run Chrome with the --enable-easy-off-store-extension-install command line flag. I have no idea how to do this on a Mac; could someone give me a quick run down? Thanks!

Here's a link to the build, for those of you who want it: https://adblockplus.org/en/development-builds#installation

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Stare-Out posted:

Full screen Flash is broken for me in 21 beta, had to disable the integrated version to get it to work properly again. (Someone elsewhere pointed out they seem to have downgraded the included Flash version with 21 for an unknown reason.)

GigaFuzz
Aug 10, 2009

datajosh posted:

Full screen Flash is broken for me in 21 beta, had to disable the integrated version to get it to work properly again. (Someone elsewhere pointed out they seem to have downgraded the included Flash version with 21 for an unknown reason.)

People (including myself) were having problems with stuttering and degraded audio with the latest version of Flash. The rollback seems to have fixed that for me at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coughing-up Tweed
Jun 12, 2006

Montalvo posted:

I want to install Adblock Plus Beta's development build on my version of Chrome, but past v21 you're no longer allowed to install extensions from outside the Chrome store unless you run Chrome with the --enable-easy-off-store-extension-install command line flag. I have no idea how to do this on a Mac; could someone give me a quick run down? Thanks!

Here's a link to the build, for those of you who want it: https://adblockplus.org/en/development-builds#installation

I think you can just drag CRXs or Greasemonkey Scripts into the extensions page to install them.