Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Yeah well [they] try to avoid the front and stay well away when it's running.

That's safe enough, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
It's the perfect mix of "awesome" and "Darwin award".

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Hahahahaha oh my god! British men in sheds, there is nothing like it. You can tell the spirit by the text in his blog. It basically goes "oh looks like a difficult job but we'll just have to crack on and get the job done" about something utterly insane. Wonderfully insane! Aeronautically insane!

He speaks about the "characteristic clack clack sound" of blade flappers, I suppose those are the ones that sound like a spun bearing when it winds down. Anyone know what they are and do?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Ola posted:

Hahahahaha oh my god! British men in sheds, there is nothing like it. You can tell the spirit by the text in his blog. It basically goes "oh looks like a difficult job but we'll just have to crack on and get the job done" about something utterly insane. Wonderfully insane! Aeronautically insane!

He speaks about the "characteristic clack clack sound" of blade flappers, I suppose those are the ones that sound like a spun bearing when it winds down. Anyone know what they are and do?

When the engine is turning at low speed, the fan blades are fairly loose in the hub, causing them to rattle around in the hub. Adding to that, the mid-span "snubbers", which maintaining blade spacing in many engines, will rattle off their neighboring blades at low speeds.

The clearances aren't an issue at normal engine speeds, as the fan blades will stretch enough that any of the tolerances in the hub will disappear. There are other things that can make noises like that in jet engines, such as sprag clutches on certain equipment, but they'd be more noticeable on smaller engines.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Whoa. So everything is sort of loose-y-goose-y when it's windmilling in the breeze but tightens up to a swiss watch as it spins up?

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Ola posted:

quote:

A quick fix followed by a tea-break and we’re ready for another run.

You don't say.

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009
What an excellent read. It really seems like there is nothing that can not be completed with a suitable shed and enough cups of tea.

He needs to move on to some sort of directional mount so that he can use it as a leaf / small animal blower.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

meltie posted:

This guy is bloody crackers :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qM7ksfRVF70

Running a rescued RB211 from a TriStar. In his back garden. (without a FOD guard)

Ok, this is kinda cool, but really what is the point of owning and running this thing. He must be smoking crack.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I figure he could sell it to a third world airline for some dollars, maybe build a mobile stand and take it around to fairs and stuff. Swap it into a 240sx. Lots of options really.

I'm curious about the long-term maintenance, stuff that requires major overhauls. What is his game plan there..

E: Jet version of the Gee Bee

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

revmoo posted:

I figure he could sell it to a third world airline for some dollars, maybe build a mobile stand and take it around to fairs and stuff. Swap it into a 240sx. Lots of options really.

I'm curious about the long-term maintenance, stuff that requires major overhauls. What is his game plan there..

E: Jet version of the Gee Bee

RB211 is still in use all over... 747-200, -300, -400 and the 757 all use it. Parts are pretty easy to find right now.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Kilonum posted:

RB211 is still in use all over... 747-200, -300, -400 and the 757 all use it. Parts are pretty easy to find right now.

The RB-211 -524 and -535, yes, but not the -22. There isn't a whole lot in common between the -22 and any other engine in the RB-211 family. It would be like saying you could fix an LS3 with parts from Ed Cole's small-block prototype.

That said, you could buy -22s all day long for not much more than scrap price, as there really isn't any application for them today.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

leica posted:

but really what is the point of owning and running this thing

Some people collect stamps, some people enjoy gardening...

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

meltie posted:

This guy is bloody crackers :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qM7ksfRVF70

Running a rescued RB211 from a TriStar. In his back garden. (without a FOD guard)

Calling a tristar a 'jumbo jet' *rage*

Seriously though, you can afford to restore and operate a RB211 but not a few feet of chicken wire or something to act as a protective barrier over the intake?

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

:haw:

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Ola posted:

Whoa. So everything is sort of loose-y-goose-y when it's windmilling in the breeze but tightens up to a swiss watch as it spins up?

More or less, exactly. http://www.youtube.com/user/agentjayz Watch this guys videos.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

SybilVimes posted:

Calling a tristar a 'jumbo jet' *rage*

Seriously though, you can afford to restore and operate a RB211 but not a few feet of chicken wire or something to act as a protective barrier over the intake?

A lot of people use "jumbo jet" as a generic term for any widebody airliner.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Kilonum posted:

A lot of people use "jumbo jet" as a generic term for any widebody airliner.

I know, and it makes me rage every damned time.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

I know precious little about airliners. What, exactly, makes a jumbo jet a jumbo jet?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

SybilVimes posted:

I know, and it makes me rage every damned time.

Prolly should get over it, or answer this:

So is the 747SP a jumbo jet, answer carefully.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Cygni posted:

Prolly should get over it, or answer this:

So is the 747SP a jumbo jet, answer carefully.

I always thought that "Jumbo-jet" was a sort of slangy/informal term for wide body airliners. I had always heard the 747 was the "original jumbo jet." Really though the 747SP is a caricature of a 747 anyway.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

I know precious little about airliners. What, exactly, makes a jumbo jet a jumbo jet?

Originally, it referred to the the planes proposed for the competition that eventually led to the C-5. Boeing's proposal did not get picked, but they built the 474 alongside/out of that. Essentially, planes the next step larger and more efficient from the planes of the mid-60s.
The name stuck to the 474 very well, but has also been applied to the DC-10, L-1011, and A330/340.
Using a similarly rigorous procedure for standardizing definitions, the A380 has been called a 'super-jumbo' becasue its bigger than the 747

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Is that running?! :catstare:

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Is that running?! :catstare:

Sort of. That shot was when its spinning down.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Jumbo Jet always meant 747 to me. But i'm a guy who works at an airport and still can't tell planes by Airbus and Boeing apart so its not like my oppinion is worth that much...

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
At some point it reaches "Anything bigger than a Comet", so I can't say I worry about it too much. But it's telling that if someone says "Jumbo jet", I think of a 747.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Ola posted:

Some people collect stamps, some people enjoy gardening...

Those plebians and their reasonable mundane hobbies :smug:

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Day 1 of the Elmendorf Airshow. There was nothing crazy to report. It was special needs day as well so I got mostly well-behaved kids who asked intelligent questions and said thank you. It's all down hill from here.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

HeyEng posted:

Day 1 of the Elmendorf Airshow. There was nothing crazy to report. It was special needs day as well so I got mostly well-behaved kids who asked intelligent questions and said thank you. It's all down hill from here.

Just remember, it could always be worse...you could be the poor suckers who got sent down here with the two AGRS jets from up north. I'd bet they get at least 11 kajillion questions about WHAT'S THAT THEM OBUMMER DOIN TAKIN OUR AIRCRAFTS OUTTA THIS HERE FINE STATE MY COUSIN WORKS UP THAT WAY IN FAIRBANKS WHYS THEM WASH-ING-TOON LIBRULS TRYIN TO TAKE ER JERBS?????

If those guys are smart they'll just spend the entire day getting hammered somewhere way the gently caress away from their jets. They are going to be like a lightning rod for stupid, even more so than the average airshow static.

And I saw the F-22 demo rehearsing yesterday...I've seen it before but god drat, all other things about that jet aside I'm pretty sure it flies through some form of magic and deal with the devil maybe that explains why it keeps trying to kill its pilots? :laugh:, because it certainly wasn't obeying any laws of aerodynamics during that demonstration.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

iyaayas01 posted:

Just remember, it could always be worse...you could be the poor suckers who got sent down here with the two AGRS jets from up north. I'd bet they get at least 11 kajillion questions about WHAT'S THAT THEM OBUMMER DOIN TAKIN OUR AIRCRAFTS OUTTA THIS HERE FINE STATE MY COUSIN WORKS UP THAT WAY IN FAIRBANKS WHYS THEM WASH-ING-TOON LIBRULS TRYIN TO TAKE ER JERBS?????

If those guys are smart they'll just spend the entire day getting hammered somewhere way the gently caress away from their jets. They are going to be like a lightning rod for stupid, even more so than the average airshow static.

And I saw the F-22 demo rehearsing yesterday...I've seen it before but god drat, all other things about that jet aside I'm pretty sure it flies through some form of magic and deal with the devil maybe that explains why it keeps trying to kill its pilots? :laugh:, because it certainly wasn't obeying any laws of aerodynamics during that demonstration.

Yea, it really did. I was sitting in the jet leaning out of the co-pilot window being like, "I am watching a stealth fighter fall backwards and it's totally on purpose.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Previa_fun posted:

I always thought that "Jumbo-jet" was a sort of slangy/informal term for wide body airliners. I had always heard the 747 was the "original jumbo jet." Really though the 747SP is a caricature of a 747 anyway.

Hey, they may look funny but show some respect. Back in the day a pilot I know was doing a shake-down flight on an SP (no pax/cargo, super light weight) and he and the pilot looked at each other, said "gently caress it" and put the hammer down just to see what would happen. They hit about M = 0.98 with plenty of throttle left before they decided that it had gone from "gently caress yeah!" fun to "oh gently caress!" fun and that they had better back off.

A 747-SP would probably break the sound barrier if you can find a pilot with a deathwish.

Captain Postal fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Jul 28, 2012

Entone
Aug 14, 2004

Take that slow people!

Captain Postal posted:

Hey, they may look funny but show some respect. Back in the day a pilot I know was doing a shake-down flight on an SP (no pax/cargo, super light weight) and he and the pilot looked at each other, said "gently caress it" and put the hammer down just to see what would happen. They hit about M = 0.98 with plenty of throttle left before they decided that it had gone from "gently caress yeah!" fun to "oh gently caress!" fun and that they had better back off.

A 747-SP would probably break the sound barrier if you can find a pilot with a deathwish.

It looks like some unwilling Air China pilot may have already been there.

http://everything2.com/user/archiewood/writeups/airliners+that+have+gone+supersonic+and+survived

There isn't too many interviews or indepth tracking about the AC Flight 006, but the SuperSonic Douglass DC-8 interview has a couple fascinating tid-bits.

Guy basically dove a DC-8 into a M1.01 dive where he couldn't use the control surfaces, and the plane was working without slats for takeoff because of some damage on the ramp.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Somehow both soothing and exhilarating. I could watch this all day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bxkt2vx9EOQ&hd=1

Hugh G. Rectum fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jul 28, 2012

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Found this in a random image dump. Sadly, there were no more images or any details.

Simply gorgeous.

MagnumHB
Jan 19, 2003
There's a whole series of those on the Google Life Archive under the title "Life on Midway". Here's another.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Awesome, thanks.

I want to be the guy in the back, just chillin' with the canopy open, taking in the view.

EDIT: Back to engine chat with this great Kodachrome from Shorpy.com

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jul 29, 2012

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Regardless of your stance on the Raptor or not, it photographs well. Here's a few photos from my day at the airshow where I should've worked more and not hosed off with my camera. I'll post other planes later.

Click for embiggened.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Here's my really lovely cell phone picture of the really cool thing I got to do at Oshkosh.

I was able to get in a B-25 for some other photographs we were taking at night. I'm working on getting them to post.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
This was rather...incongruous.

incongruousfootball by RReiheld, on Flickr

I think we can all agree that the Rafale is the most Futbol of the 4.5 generation euro-canards.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones
I'm pretty sure that's not a Rafale but a Gripen. Which doesn't really make the picture any less incongruous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

parrhesia posted:

I'm pretty sure that's not a Rafale but a Gripen. Which doesn't really make the picture any less incongruous.

Exactly so. They used the wrong wrong airplane.