Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Moe_Rahn posted:

while there are a shitfuckload of reasons to hate Jeff Loria, the Marlins' attendance numbers have loving skyrocketed compared to what they were before (home attendance so far on the year is ~1.42M per ESPN, versus ~1.52M for all of 2011 and ~1.53M for 2010; they've already bested the entire season's paid attendance for each year from 2006-2009)
Nobody seems to know this, because that's an inconvenient truth for the people who love to crap all over Miami for being a 'bad sports town'. We averaged less than half of this year's attendance, and it's a huge accomplishment in my view to more than double attendance in one year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I think it also helps that Marlins games are not something you give to enemies to suffer from the outside heat.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

Tae posted:

I think it also helps that Marlins games are not something you give to enemies to suffer from the outside heat.

There's a roof on the new stadium

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Groucho Marxist posted:

There's a roof on the new stadium

I meant to add "anymore." I like the new stadium.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
The Marlins attendance being up is an additional reason to hate Jeff Loria.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Mornacale posted:

It'll start going down as soon as fans see that Loria is doing the same poo poo as before with firesales after the team gets good.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Mornacale posted:

how much input did he have on the dinger machine, though?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

ElwoodCuse posted:

how much input did he have on the dinger machine, though?
It was entirely his idea. He had the work commissioned by a local artist, Red Grooms.

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?

FlamingLiberal posted:

It was entirely his idea. He had the work commissioned by a local artist, Red Grooms.

What a lovely person. lovely, lovely person.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.

Harlock posted:

Passan posted:

On June 21, the Marlins had lost six of seven games and fallen two games under .500. Loria decided it was an appropriate time to give the team a pep talk. One player there called it "possibly the worst speech I've ever heard." The Marlins lost that day and then four of their next five.

Jeff Passan really hates Jeffrey Loria.

hahahahahahaha that owns so much

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

BasicFunk posted:

What a lovely person. lovely, lovely person.

gently caress you the dinger machine is the only good poo poo he's done

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

gently caress you the dinger machine is the only good poo poo he's done

You like horrible things.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.

BasicFunk posted:

man you have come to the wrong place.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

BasicFunk posted:

:frogout:

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders
I stand with the newbie! To arms!

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.
Dinger machine best machine.

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

It's a Goog Day, yes it is!
The Dinger Machine is the gaudiest part of an rear end-ugly stadium that cost the residents of Miami an ungodly amount of money to build and will only serve to fill the pockets of Jeffrey Loria, who is one of the worst people on this earth.

But it lights up and spits water so wooooooo dingers.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.

ThatsMyBoye posted:

I stand with the newbie! To arms!

oh you're going down.

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008

The Goog posted:

The Dinger Machine is the gaudiest part of an rear end-ugly stadium that cost the residents of Miami an ungodly amount of money to build and will only serve to fill the pockets of Jeffrey Loria, who is one of the worst people on this earth.

Yes. Jeffrey Loria is one of the worst people on Earth.

Between you and me, I like the stadium just fine. And Miami is Miami. It is governed by morons. It is unfortunate and Loria is a swindler who probably shouldn't be owning a baseball team, but that doesn't mean you have to take it out on the Dinger Machine :smith:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Bread, circuses, and dinger machines.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
If we weren't allowed to like things that make profits for evil people, we wouldn't like pro sports. Or college sports. Or Something Awful.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
Yeah, what the hell is wrong with the Miami Herald that they weren't publishing a story every day about how that stadium is a huge money pit?

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

Yeah, what the hell is wrong with the Miami Herald that they weren't publishing a story every day about how that stadium is a huge money pit?
Oh. They were. Them, the PBC Sun Sentinel, and the Palm Beach Post all continually published articles about the drat thing until the point where my grandpa, who was furious about the whole Loria mess, actually got tired of reading about it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The Goog posted:

How is it ugly? I've been there twice. There's nothing wrong with it.

I think a bigger problem than Loria are the local Miami politicians who signed off on the deal. They blew it big time. Unfortunately, as someone who grew up in Miami, local politics in that city are insanely corrupt.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

BasicFunk posted:

Someone get a rope.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Here's a good one: SportsCenter lifted a report literally word-for-word from RealGM.

DeadSpin posted:

Last Night’s SportsCenter Featured A Dwight Howard Story Plagiarized Word-For-Word From RealGM.com

On last night's 10 p.m. SportsCenter, ESPN delivered "breaking news" about the Orlando Magic's desperate attempts to retain star Dwight Howard. Here's the full transcript of that report:

"Orlando Magic General Manager Rob Hennigan met with the franchise's disenchanted superstar Dwight Howard today in Los Angeles and according to sources, Hennigan traveled to LA to have this face-to-face discussion with Howard with the hopes of persuading him back off his trade request and allow the organization more time to build a championship contender. Hennigan was unsuccessful in his pitch however, as Howard reiterated his desire to leave Orlando as soon as possible."

RealGM.com columnist Jarrod Rudolph happened to be watching last night's broadcast, and immediately recognized something in those words; specifically, Rudolph recognized them as his words. More than an hour before that SportsCenter broadcast, Rudolph published this Howard story on RealGM. It reads:

Orlando Magic General Manager Rob Hennigan met with the franchise's disenchanted superstar Dwight Howard on Wednesday in Los Angeles, sources have confirmed to RealGM. Hennigan traveled to Los Angeles to have a face-to-face discussion with Howard with the hopes of persuading him to back off his trade request and allow the organization more time to build a championship contender. Hennigan, however, was unsuccessful in his pitch as Howard reiterated his desire to leave Orlando as soon as possible, according to sources.

ESPN didn't even make a token attempt at paraphrasing; Lynn Hoppes would be proud. The Worldwide Leader not only reported the work of another journalist without attribution, they did so WORD-FOR-WORD. If SportsCenter was a college student, it would be facing expulsion. SportsCenter read a shorter version of the report a half hour later, again using phrases lifted directly from Rudolph's piece.

We reached out to ESPN spokesperson Josh Krulewitz to comment on this, but received an "out of the office" message. If anyone at ESPN would like to explain to us how this happened, we're all ears.

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

Crazy Ted posted:

Someone get a rope.

I know you aren't racist, but I just got a natural urge to call Al Sharpton or Jesse Jackson.

Also, the dinger machine is an ugly, tacky, piece of poo poo in an otherwise nice stadium. This is my opinion. Take it or leave it.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden

Crazy Ted posted:

Here's a good one: SportsCenter lifted a report literally word-for-word from RealGM.

Not only is this a lazy and fireable offense but it implies that someone actually read a RealGM article.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

Not only is this a lazy and fireable offense but it implies that someone actually read a RealGM article.

Some of their articles have comedic value. Like when one of their writers tried to invent his own "sabermetric" stat.

http://baseball.realgm.com/src_fromtheupperdeck/48/20080114/the_mlb_reina_value/

midwat
May 6, 2007

Crazy Ted posted:

How does it even enter one's head to do that? "Yeah, we're a very popular network that's constantly watched (and scrutinized) by a web-savvy audience. No one will ever notice!"

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

midwat posted:

How does it even enter one's head to do that? "Yeah, we're a very popular network that's constantly watched (and scrutinized) by a web-savvy audience. No one will ever notice!"

I assume it was breaking news, a producer copied and pasted it into the script, someone was supposed to rewrite/reframe it and they didn't for whatever reason and it made it to air unedited.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

BasicFunk posted:

I know you aren't racist, but I just got a natural urge to call Al Sharpton or Jesse Jackson.

Also, the dinger machine is an ugly, tacky, piece of poo poo in an otherwise nice stadium. This is my opinion. Take it or leave it.

i'll leave you dead in a ditch you bad opinion having motherfucker

midwat
May 6, 2007

morestuff posted:

I assume it was breaking news, a producer copied and pasted it into the script, someone was supposed to rewrite/reframe it and they didn't for whatever reason and it made it to air unedited.

Yeah, that's really the only plausible explanation.

Even if they had reworked it, though, it remains incredibly shady to air something you've put no original reporting into.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Maybe ESPN just stopped giving a poo poo and didn't think someone would match up an article on RealGM to a random SportsCenter story. If Rudolph hadn't been watching, nothing probably happens. The Lynn Hoppes and Chris Broussard stuff got swept under the rug. Doesn't seem to be a priority for them.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
Maybe ESPN is just doing a scientific study on exactly how bad at journalism you can be before you lose credibility. Unfortunately, they're way behind cable news.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Here's ESPN's explanation:

ESPN posted:

The story was unfolding during the live SportsCenter and the RealGM report was cut and inadvertently pasted by someone else into the anchor's script. We have apologized to the writer and are taking steps so it won't happen again.

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

Groucho Marxist posted:

i'll leave you dead in a ditch you bad opinion having motherfucker

Well you can suck my big, black, bad opinion having dick. gently caress the Marlins.

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008
In a more positive ESPN story, if any of you have Netflix and missed out on the 30 for 30 series all of them went up on streaming last night.

Watch them. All of them. Well, except for maybe the Red Sox one, which added nothing new to the narrative.

Capt Murphy
Nov 16, 2005

The Prisoner posted:

In a more positive ESPN story, if any of you have Netflix and missed out on the 30 for 30 series all of them went up on streaming last night.

Watch them. All of them. Well, except for maybe the Red Sox one, which added nothing new to the narrative.

Well this is a great way to start my Friday and ensures I'll be doing a lot of nothing this weekend. The Two Escobars is must-watch for anyone, it's brilliant. Really all of them are good, but that one in particular is exceptional. Other great ones: Pony Excess, Who Killed the USFL, and Run Ricky Run :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008

Capt Murphy posted:

Well this is a great way to start my Friday and ensures I'll be doing a lot of nothing this weekend. The Two Escobars is must-watch for anyone, it's brilliant. Really all of them are good, but that one in particular is exceptional. Other great ones: Pony Excess, Who Killed the USFL, and Run Ricky Run :allears:
Yeah, I read in the Wall Street Journal(!) it was supposed to be up today but I'm not seeing any of them available just yet. Although it does say "streaming: coming soon". According to Instant Watcher, which tracks this sort of thing, they won't be up until the first of the month. Sorry if I get anyone excited prematurely.