Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Nipponophile posted:

It's more of a dialect/accent thing than politeness. I have seen it frequently used by maids or other female servants, but I think that's more akin to a butler having a stereotypical British accent.

I think it is partially a respect/politeness thing too, at least among women. There's at least 3 women in my workplace who over-pronounce the "u" like that when talking to clients on the phone ('o sewa ni narimasuuuu' got grating to hear QUICK) but certainly not when talking to each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

joek0 posted:

Famicom Jump is an RPG. Jump Ultimate Superstars is an fighting/brawler game. Of course it would be 2 different games.

Whhhooooaaaa really?!

Goldwarf
May 24, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

joek0 posted:

My first language is English. I guess I just don't get the sarcasm sometimes.

Ah, just a little autistic then.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I felt this episode was a little weak. It didn't really feel like Arino struggled with the game at all, most likely because they gave him a strategy guide pretty quickly and it took three filming sessions for him to finish. It's probably why they don't do a whole lot of RPGs, since Arino seems quite fine with doing the boring job of grinding things out like he did in the end after his loss to the string of 13 bosses. That's not to say that the episode wasn't entertaining, but I certainly wouldn't rate it very high next to other episodes.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Silentman0 posted:

That game's not like Jump Ultimate Stars at all.

Seriously though, everyone that even sorta likes Smash-likes should play Jump Ultimate Stars.

Edit: Before someone asks; No, dont get Super Stars, get Ultimate Stars. Ultimate is better than Super in literally every single way. Even the panel unlock system is more foreigner friendly!

joek0
Oct 13, 2011

Goldwarf posted:

Ah, just a little autistic then.

I am not autistic. I am just a serious person who doesn't really comprehend sarcasm very well. I guess I just don't have a sense of humor or sarcasm.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

joek0 posted:

I am not autistic. I am just a serious person who doesn't really comprehend sarcasm very well. I guess I just don't have a sense of humor or sarcasm.

He was joking there, too. Man, you really ARE bad at this!

joek0
Oct 13, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

He was joking there, too. Man, you really ARE bad at this!

I know that it is something I am working on. Am really trying though.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
Maybe you can show how much you're improving by not posting.

joek0
Oct 13, 2011

Silentman0 posted:

I at least know that is sarcasm.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

No, I'm pretty sure that's serious.

Downloading the Famicom Jump episode now. I just got through with a bunch of work, so it'll be nice to sit back and watch Arino be bad at video games again.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
I think dude registered pretty much to exclusively post in this thread so I just kinda let the weirdness go, myself! :v:

:glomp: buddy! vv Everyone here loves Kacho, no worries.

Caitlin fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Jul 27, 2012

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
Yoy guys are right that I only really post on this thread! I don't really post on many forums because of many bad communities. This forum is great however when I found out that this was the only active GCCX forum. I just love to share my thoughts on the show. I will try to be a better forum poster. Let's drop this and get back to GCCX discussion.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

Silentman0 posted:

joek0 posted:

I at least know that is sarcasm.

Ahahaha

Actually this is really good advice. You need to lurk.

Edit: VVV Do you happen to be. . part robot ? :aaaaa:

Mayor McCheese fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Jul 27, 2012

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
I will only post if it contributes to the thread. If I cannot make a good reply to the thread, then I will leave it be. I still however would like to post my opinions on new episodes.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

I like him, can we keep him? Pleeeeeeeeease?!

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.

Potsticker posted:

I felt this episode was a little weak. It didn't really feel like Arino struggled with the game at all, most likely because they gave him a strategy guide pretty quickly and it took three filming sessions for him to finish. It's probably why they don't do a whole lot of RPGs, since Arino seems quite fine with doing the boring job of grinding things out like he did in the end after his loss to the string of 13 bosses. That's not to say that the episode wasn't entertaining, but I certainly wouldn't rate it very high next to other episodes.

I kind of suspect that this is an episode that is going to be more entertaining to people with some interest in the series that the game is crossing over. I think part of the entertainment value this episode is seeing Arino play a game with a bunch of comics he remembers from when he was a kid, and with Americans only a specific kind of huge nerd is going to have any attachment to that stuff.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Don't make fun of him, Humor Impairment is a serious condition.

gdsfjkl
Feb 28, 2011
Wow, you guys are being incredible assholes.

Thanks for the new episode, Ring Ring Tactics is my favourite side segment.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Thanks as always, team.

Benly posted:

I kind of suspect that this is an episode that is going to be more entertaining to people with some interest in the series that the game is crossing over. I think part of the entertainment value this episode is seeing Arino play a game with a bunch of comics he remembers from when he was a kid, and with Americans only a specific kind of huge nerd is going to have any attachment to that stuff.

I think the problem is that everything goes by so quickly that even if you know the properties it's just an "oh, that's neat" moment before you're jerked onto the next one. Apart from Arino's little moments of reminiscence, it's just not a particularly interesting game to watch him play.

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

Box of Bunnies posted:

Thanks as always, team.

I think the problem is that everything goes by so quickly that even if you know the properties it's just an "oh, that's neat" moment before you're jerked onto the next one. Apart from Arino's little moments of reminiscence, it's just not a particularly interesting game to watch him play.

Agreed, I didn't really think it was that interesting a challenge either. That's the problem with long games, there's a lot of ground to cover so they tend not to focus too much on Arino's struggles so they can show as much of the game as possible. I remember there being some agreement in this thread about this with the Zelda 3 episode, too.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

giZm posted:

I like him, can we keep him? Pleeeeeeeeease?!

Yeah, he's like Billy from retsupurae. I like him.

Seriously though, don't pick on a nice person who isn't even threadshitting or otherwise being a deliberate nuisance. Hell, even his punctuation and spelling is fine.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I always love when Xevious is featured in part of an episode. And this one also has 3D/G!

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

DiscoJ posted:

I think it is partially a respect/politeness thing too, at least among women. There's at least 3 women in my workplace who over-pronounce the "u" like that when talking to clients on the phone ('o sewa ni narimasuuuu' got grating to hear QUICK) but certainly not when talking to each other.

Pronouncing it as deees is more casual and desuuu is more formal and polite-sounding, as well as cutesy. But on Cobs.jp, a big business site, desuuu was voted #1 most annoying speech habit by both men and women.

Benly posted:

I agree; most of the interest in this challenge comes from seeing all these classic Jump manga characters come together. The showdown at the end is particularly amusing. The show assumes the viewer knows these characters. If you have no clue who these guys are the impact is totally lost and you end up with just a straight play-through of some RPG. When I watched the episode the first time it was neat seeing a bunch of these characters, but I've only rewatched it maybe twice since then. But I do hope this episode will catch manga fans' interests and introduce more people to the show.

Also, Jump Ultimate Stars is amazing.

Quick translation efforts update: the teacher got back to me saying him and his students will get Princess Tomato translated after all, and the SAGCCX timers have agreed to time it when it's done. No estimated time of arrival but it is being worked on.

vvv Yeah, I think Famicom Jump used that system too.

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jul 27, 2012

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.

Box of Bunnies posted:

See, for my part I felt like that actually compounds the issue of "the game relies on nostalgia for something most Western viewers aren't attached to". Playing the game doesn't give you any sense of who the characters are, it just drops the names and images without any context, so bizarre things like Kenshiro being forced to run away by a baseball player and getting dominated by a soccer player shortly before another baseball player demolishes his archrival just sort of fly past with the context assumed. I agree that it would be more interesting to everyone if it explored the stuff it's playing with a little more, but that's usually the case with crossovers.

Now that people have brought up Jump Super/Ultimate Stars, I actually wonder if this game used something like that series' cross-genre rock/paper/scissors relationship? I noticed that different characters in this had different names for some statistic (I want to say "Hero" and "Gag"?) and stuff like Nukesaku dominating Saga reminded me of that.

Edit: Oh, neat if so. That rock/paper/scissors thing was one of my favorite things about the Jump Stars series. For those who haven't played them, the characters are divided into "powerful/brave" types, "skillful" types, and "comedy" types - bravery defeats skill (because that's how the narrative trope works in these stories), skill defeats comedy (because the smart guy makes the comedy character the butt of his own joke), and comedy defeats bravery (because the joke lets the air out of the Big Tough Guy).

zari-gani posted:

I agree; most of the interest in this challenge comes from seeing all these classic Jump manga characters come together. The showdown at the end is particularly amusing. The show assumes the viewer knows these characters. If you have no clue who these guys are the impact is totally lost and you end up with just a straight play-through of some RPG. When I watched the episode the first time it was neat seeing a bunch of these characters, but I've only rewatched it maybe twice since then. But I do hope this episode will catch manga fans' interests and introduce more people to the show.

Yeah, this doesn't seem like a challenge that'd be super appealing after you've already seen the stuff it has to show off.

Also, the "introducing people" can work the other way around. I know that I first ended up reading Otokojuku as a result of Momotaro and Edajima's appearance in Jump Ultimate Stars.

Benly fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jul 27, 2012

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
When I was visiting Japan, I found it easier to pronounce default polite verbs ("u-words") as ssssu (arigato gozaimassssu.) than forcing myself to pronounce the u. I really hope I didn't offend anyone. But maybe I already did, going domo at cashiers. :aaa:

I'll join the Famicom Jump was kinda boring club. Best part was 40-year-old housewife Super Monkey Daibouken player. Other than that nothing really seemed to happen in the game.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

jyrque posted:

When I was visiting Japan, I found it easier to pronounce default polite verbs ("u-words") as ssssu (arigato gozaimassssu.) than forcing myself to pronounce the u. I really hope I didn't offend anyone. But maybe I already did, going domo at cashiers. :aaa:

Going desss is fine. Going desuuu sounds really feminine so you might've gotten some strange looks if you did that.

I never know what to say after making a purchase in Japan or Japanese stores here. Whenever I observed customers in Japan I noticed they never say a word, which feels weird to me especially when the cashier is being so polite and talking up a storm ("now I am giving you your change" "now I am bagging your purchase" "here is your receipt").

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
I admit I felt my share of awkwardness in that experience too, but no one ever seems to mind a simple "domo!".

On the note of Japanese stores, Japanese bookstores are the best bookstores on Earth. They respect privacy so much that they'll give you the option of free paper book covers they'll fold for you over the cover of your book so that other people don't see what you're reading on the train. It's wonderful.

Edit: Oh, and there's one thing Asian stores do that drives me nuts as an American. They'll keep holding onto your credit card until the moment the transaction slip prints out to sign, as opposed to in the US where they'll hand it back as soon as they swipe it. It's this 3-6 second period of suspense that owns me every time.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Hokuto posted:

I admit I felt my share of awkwardness in that experience too, but no one ever seems to mind a simple "domo!"

I asked one of my friends from Japan about this and she said saying "domo" would be seen as weird. See, I'm paranoid about this sort of thing because I have the disadvantage of not looking like a foreigner when I'm in Japan. I'm always afraid of coming across as some idiot.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
I have a good friend who has experienced that. His parents are from Taiwan and Japan, but he was born and raised in the States and speaks only English. When he goes to Japan, he gets frowns and harsh glares when he stumbles over phrasebook Japanese, while his blond-haired, blue-eyed wife is cut a bit more slack.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

You just have to wear a Hawaiian shirt with a camera around your neck and they'll know you're a tourist.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Mister Chief posted:

You just have to wear a Hawaiian shirt with a camera around your neck and they'll know you're a tourist.

Or a CIA operative.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Haywood Japwnme posted:

Or a CIA operative.

Same thing.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I kind of want to play that Pachicom game they featured in the 1985 game showcase. Even though it's probably the most boring game ever.

Jest3
Apr 27, 2010
When in a rush the polite form of the word can be shortened yet still understood.
Arigatō gozaimasu after receiving your snacks at a kobini could be "massss" and a bump on a busy sidewalk "masin" for sumimasen. Wouldn't want to do that at a company meeting though I assume.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_abbreviated_and_contracted_words
I think that is relevant.

Jest3 fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jul 27, 2012

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

The DVD is now up on Discotek's catalog:
http://www.discotekmedia.com/retro_game_master.htm

Judging from the credits, looks like they managed to get permission to use my artwork. Should be the whole bottom half of the King Arino pic plastered onto the inside jacket of the clear case.

And now we have a name attached to the dub voice: Adam Ray.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

Zeether posted:

I kind of want to play that Pachicom game they featured in the 1985 game showcase. Even though it's probably the most boring game ever.

The funny part is, the gameplay wasn't the most interesting thing about it. About 5% of the ROM is taken up by an angry programmer's rant.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

This message in the Super Monkey Daibouken ROM is better.

http://tcrf.net/Ganso_Saiyuuki

Hyper Big Breasts
May 14, 2006

Just sharing a bit of news that might be of interest to those who enjoyed the "Night of the Sickle Weasel" episode.

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/07/27/chunsofts-murder-mystery-the-night-of-the-kamatachi-is-finally-being-localized/

I don't have an iOS or Android device though. Oh well. Still pretty neat to hear though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

What do they mean by 'Retro Game Master Version' and 'GameCenter Cx Version'? There's only one 'add to cart' button. Or is this like, dual audio tracks, or...?