Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
faddypaddy
Sep 3, 2011

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
Everyone gets a title or we lose it next year

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made Prod
Don't get me wrong I love DLI well more like I love the area getting off at 3 pm almost every day is nice except for the maybe once a week there is something to do and it is not that bad just the little inconsistencies kill me.

As far as the team leaders I try and help mine out. However, no one in my class has ever been outright disrespectful and if they were I would march there happy rear end to the MLI and let them handle it. For us 75 on quizzes is failing however with test who the hell knows the scales are insane, I had a 93.4% on one test and got a B+ had 61% on another and got a C. One wrong is usually an automatic A- no matter what and C- and below is considered failing and automatic SA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant
Just get a loving 2/2/1+ on your graduation DLPT. Otherwise I have to send a graduation waiver request to a MG and he will apply his gently caress YOU stamp and you'll end up in artillery because 35N is full.

e: I should drink less

GreenMeat fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jun 2, 2012

faddypaddy
Sep 3, 2011

Yeah they are sending one guy off to be a 13F and another to be a 14E.

SirEverlast
Apr 8, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer
Wild Guess #76
Captain “Digger” Boomerang

"The Golden Glider wasn’t th
Or 2/2/2 if you are 35M. Greenmeat, I'll try and ring you next week. I want your job in three years. ;)

Bellum
Jun 3, 2011

All war is deception.
I'm not doing too hot in Russian but I'm improving. The fear of becoming an MP if I fail DLI is a terrible motivator.

Also has anyone mentioned Compagno's in this thread? Delicious subs. Weird owner.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
gently caress I miss the food in Monterey! Never ate at Compagno's, but I've heard noting but good things. It's a small wonder I didn't gain weight when I was there. For real though, if you're not taking advantage of all the ethnic restaurants and festivals in town then you are missing out.

Is that lady who sold soul food at the Alvarado Farmer's Market still there? I think I want to go back and marry her.

Buff Tannen
Oct 25, 2009

I just wanna say one thing...God Bless America

Bellum posted:

I'm not doing too hot in Russian but I'm improving. The fear of becoming an MP if I fail DLI is a terrible motivator.

Also has anyone mentioned Compagno's in this thread? Delicious subs. Weird owner.

Compagno's is a major plus. Bennett is kind of a weird dude. Someone told me he's gay...not that it has anything to do with it, but that's the word around the campfire. His shop makes a drat good reuben. I was at the Farmer's MKT on Alvarado last Tuesday and I didn't see soul food, but I wasn't looking for it. I'll check again tomorrow. That Lebanese falafel place was pretty good.

TheUnhorse
Oct 29, 2010

Smartest little intel sperg in the whole world
Bennett is kind of an odd duck but he's pretty cool; the Arabic restaurant on Lighthouse, Tabouli's/Paprika Cafe is great, I ate there on the regular. Some days I really miss Monterey. If you get a chance, check out "Oh! Sushi" on a friday or saturday night.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Get that booze monkey off my back!
If you like Mexican and have a car the lunch counter at Mi Tierra (a grocery store in Seaside) is great and really cheap.

If you dig Korean food there is the one place on Lighthouse, but I liked Oriental Express (again, in Seaside) much better. Don't recommend this one for lunch because they are a little slow and you will be late to class, but the food is phenomenal and they have karaoke sometimes if that's your thing.

TheUnhorse
Oct 29, 2010

Oh look the best Thai restaurant you'll ever go to is located right in Seaside. http://www.baanthaiseaside.com/ This place is seriously the best Thai in the entire area.

faddypaddy
Sep 3, 2011

Also if you like Vietnamese head to the Noodle Bar in Seaside or Marina. That place is great and cheap.

Buff Tannen
Oct 25, 2009

Yeah didn't see the soul food stand/lady on Alvarado this week. Our instructors keep telling us about this restaurant called Petra in PG. I'll probably check it out this weekend.

TheUnhorse
Oct 29, 2010

Don't bother, that place is pretty disappointing. Their only redeeming quality is that they have Kronos gyros at the PG farmers' market and I think they show up at the Monterey farmers' market as well.

Having been to nearly all of them, I've found the restaurants in PG are pretty disappointing and really bland/watered down. The german bakery on the way into downtown is amazing though. (http://www.yelp.com/biz/pavels-backerei-pacific-grove-2) Seaside is pretty much the poo poo for most restaurants although there are a few good spots in downtown Monterey. If you dig hole-in-the-wall Mexican and go during the daytime, Salinas is full of good poo poo.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Get that booze monkey off my back!

TheUnhorse posted:

Having been to nearly all of them, I've found the restaurants in PG are pretty disappointing and really bland/watered down. The german bakery on the way into downtown is amazing though. (http://www.yelp.com/biz/pavels-backerei-pacific-grove-2) Seaside is pretty much the poo poo for most restaurants although there are a few good spots in downtown Monterey. If you dig hole-in-the-wall Mexican and go during the daytime, Salinas is full of good poo poo.

I lived in PG, seconding this: especially the part about Pavel's. Although I do like Mando's. And if you want go waaaay out there the Point Pinos Grill can be good although it's pricier than what I normally like(check their website for when they're open).

TheUnhorse
Oct 29, 2010

Geizkragen posted:

Point Pinos Grill

Seconding this, I lived three blocks away from here. The brisket sandwich is legit. ALSO, you have to hit up RG Burger. The Mediterranean or whatever it is that has a small block of feta cheese gently resting below the bun on it is so loving good.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

tengohemroidz posted:

Yeah didn't see the soul food stand/lady on Alvarado this week..

This is a sad day.

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta
The soul food lady is in and out, I personally prefer Randy's to Compagno's as far as sandwiches go. And the Red House Cafe and Passionfish are both excellent restaurants in PG, although Passionfish is pretty pricey.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

tengohemroidz posted:

Anyone else have their teaching team leader try to tell you when your class break is going to be? We hadn't met our MLI until yesterday, so I haven't tried to coordinate with him when the class break will be. Today our team lead walks in and tells our class that our break is coming up in October. We're three weeks into class and nobody wants to do this.

It is up to the class to decide when our break is, right? I came through as Spanish the first time so we didn't get one and the Levantine department is fubar so I am hoping this is a minor mistake on her part and not her trying to dick us over because she wants that week off.

I'm betting with good odds that your teaching team lead has, without telling anyone, bought tickets and planned their vacation for those dates. Now they're trying to ram it down everyone else's throats because they know that you all won't say or do anything about it.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Prop Wash posted:

I'm betting with good odds that your teaching team lead has, without telling anyone, bought tickets and planned their vacation for those dates. Now they're trying to ram it down everyone else's throats because they know that you all won't say or do anything about it.

They tried this with my Russian class long ago, and got their poo poo ruined by the TraDoc Colonel who was our class leader.

freaktrain
Jun 11, 2012

Choo choo!
I did two (Army) courses out at DLI, one of them was as a student platoon sergeant and a volunteer squad leader for all the IETers doing their LTX out at the MOUT site. In all my life I've never seen a more hosed-up body of leadership. I ran into a captain from my old unit when I was at the commissary, he was out there for a language before heading to Special Forces. They apparently offered him a company command spot. He declined, and mentioned that company command spots at DLI are like the last-chance assignment for officers who are in danger of being asked to get out of the Army.

Surprisingly, though, when I got to my duty station after my last course, some of the kids I thought would be surefire bullet-stopper candidates were actually squared away. I'm even serving as a sort of mentor to four different people who've joined the Army. I've convinced all of them to go out to DLI, get a language and their clearance, and do well.

I think there may be a special spot in hell for me.

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant

freaktrain posted:

Surprisingly, though, when I got to my duty station after my last course, some of the kids I thought would be surefire bullet-stopper candidates were actually squared away. I'm even serving as a sort of mentor to four different people who've joined the Army. I've convinced all of them to go out to DLI, get a language and their clearance, and do well.

I think there may be a special spot in hell for me.

Let me know if they run into any issues with BEAR/reclass or need any MOS prerequisite waivers, and I'll try to lend a hand.

Gooble Gobble
May 2, 2011

One of us
So, lets say, worst case scenario I fail out of my class (LOA). Just how hosed am I going to be?

faddypaddy
Sep 3, 2011

faddypaddy posted:

Yeah they are sending one guy off to be a 13F and another to be a 14E.

Covered this already. Also another guy is getting 35F but he is the only guy to get a 35 series that I have seen in my company for awhile.

freaktrain
Jun 11, 2012

Choo choo!

Gordian posted:

So, lets say, worst case scenario I fail out of my class (LOA). Just how hosed am I going to be?

Out of DLI? Well it depends on what language you're taking and what branch of service you are. Also, whether or not you're a trainee.

Let's presume the worst-case scenario: you're an Army IET'er with a Cat 1 or Cat 2 language. You fail, they roll you back. You fail again.

They make you a refrigerator mechanic.

SirEverlast
Apr 8, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer
Wild Guess #76
Captain “Digger” Boomerang

"The Golden Glider wasn’t th

quote:

It depends on how proactive you have been. Have you been going to the night sessions? Have you been requesting a peer tutor? How bad are you failing? Do you think a recycle would help? What about a new language? How is your class as a whole doing?

If you've been going to night class every night from day one, been constantly requesting extra help from your MLI, and been talking with your CoC in your company, you should be able to angle for a recycle or relanguage, IME.

Buff Tannen
Oct 25, 2009

Prop Wash posted:

Well I asked our MLI, and he said that ME II class breaks are chosen by the chief MLI. Not sure why that is true because like I said before, my roommates class is permitted to choose their dates. Not sure why the MLI would lie to me about it either because he spent a good amount of time telling the first termers about how inconsistent and shady some of the teachers are...

And yeah, our break ends on Columbus day this October. So they tied it into a 4 day. Seems to be par for the course in ME II.

faddypaddy
Sep 3, 2011

I don't know I am ME2 and our class break is the 22 - 27 of July avoiding all 4 day weekends and being almost exactly in the middle of our course.

Buff Tannen
Oct 25, 2009

fuckin weak.

We have unit 1 test next Friday. So far I'm doing pretty good. Dictation/transcription is the only thing hindering me. Our instructor's advice: "memorize the words". So memorize every word to be able to spell them correctly.

I've tried explaining to them that correct spelling is an unnecessary nitpick. Now if you're trying to spell hospital and you spell grilled chicken, that's one thing. But mistaking a d for an emphatic D shouldn't be a reason for the whole question to be wrong.

But I'm just whining...it's a ridiculous argument.

Anyone have any better tips on that? Repetition?

faddypaddy
Sep 3, 2011

I don't know how important transcription is in dialect however, in MSA it is something like less than 10% of your overall grade. I was horrible at it all through the first semester now halfway through semester two I am getting to a passable level. I would say start listening while reading along to the script that is what I did to help make the mental connection between the sound and the spelling of the words.

Buff Tannen
Oct 25, 2009

faddypaddy posted:

I don't know how important transcription is in dialect however, in MSA it is something like less than 10% of your overall grade. I was horrible at it all through the first semester now halfway through semester two I am getting to a passable level. I would say start listening while reading along to the script that is what I did to help make the mental connection between the sound and the spelling of the words.

We don't know anything. I've asked numerous times for a breakdown of our grades and GPAs but we never get a clear answer. All I'm concerned about is the dictation part of the test. If I somehow screw that up, it's mando 7th drat hour because I can't tell an emphatic letter from a regular one.

I gotta hunt down the MLI tomorrow.

But yeah, dialect we're dictating in MSA so I would hope it is around the same lines. Our teaching team is pretty good about making sure we're over prepared for the tests, so hopefully they're just nitpicking so we go in and nail the test.

Beer Jerky
Nov 3, 2011
:oops:

Beer Jerky fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Dec 13, 2012

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Out of curiosity, what is the absolute minimum DLAB score for PF? Army if that matters.

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant

DoktorLoken posted:

Out of curiosity, what is the absolute minimum DLAB score for PF? Army if that matters.

Officially, it's 105. Right now, USAREC is asking for DLAB waivers of up to 10 points for recruits that are otherwise qualified, and MG Purser at DA G2 is looking at the requests on a case-by-case basis. It helps if you have high GT/ST scores and some prior experience w/ learning foreign language if you are asking for a waiver. Pretty much the same if you're trying to do an in-service reclass, except everything goes through HRC instead of USAREC.

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

DoktorLoken posted:

I have 4 army guys in my Farsi classroom, and not one of them scored over 100 on the DLAB. All of them got waived from the 90s range.

Get higher than that. It's not a great metric, but the people that do better on the DLAB tend to be more comfortable here. Those army dudes I mentioned are not enjoying their stay here.

AchmedTheSnake
Apr 6, 2006
This title is clever.
Is it possible to raise your gpa here at all? Or is it like one of those things, where if you just don't "get it" you aren't going to make it no matter how hard you try, cause I study my rear end off and do 7th hour and all that bullshit. None of it helps.

faddypaddy
Sep 3, 2011

It depends. How far are you in the course? What language? It took me a while before I found a study strategy that worked. As far as actually raising you GPA maybe maybe not but if you show decent improvement and start getting good grades on test then you can easily get put in for a recycle.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

AchmedTheSnake posted:

Is it possible to raise your gpa here at all? Or is it like one of those things, where if you just don't "get it" you aren't going to make it no matter how hard you try, cause I study my rear end off and do 7th hour and all that bullshit. None of it helps.

What kind of trouble are you having, in terms of getting it?

One general tip I can offer is that you should get used to the idea of a word having a different range of meanings from its counterpart(s) in English, regardless of how closely one meaning corresponds. Think more vaguely in terms of what a word or grammar pattern means when trying to figure out what it means on its own, and let context narrow it down to the precise meaning. And don't let your expectations from English hinder that process...not making sense in English doesn't mean it doesn't make sense at all. If it doesn't make sense you're not thinking abstractly enough.

Baggage from the native language and not thinking flexibly enough is something I've seen screw people (including me) up in a whole bunch of languages.

likeanimals
Jul 28, 2012

tengohemroidz posted:

We don't know anything. I've asked numerous times for a breakdown of our grades and GPAs but we never get a clear answer. All I'm concerned about is the dictation part of the test. If I somehow screw that up, it's mando 7th drat hour because I can't tell an emphatic letter from a regular one.

I gotta hunt down the MLI tomorrow.

But yeah, dialect we're dictating in MSA so I would hope it is around the same lines. Our teaching team is pretty good about making sure we're over prepared for the tests, so hopefully they're just nitpicking so we go in and nail the test.

Rapid Rote, homie- it'll make you bored as gently caress of the words, but you'll learn 'em.

you'll learn 'em good.

i drag my laptop home and just blaze through words- understanding arabic is a lot like trying to understand vietnam, so i wouldn't worry too much about it- just slam as much vocab as you can, and if you learn via the 3 letter root and measure (you'll learn about this in unit 2), so be it. if you learn every word for what it is, so be it. in the meantime, just slam glossary.

oh.

and REMEMBER the words for SAUSAGE and BABY SITTER.

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant

likeanimals posted:

Rapid Rote, homie- it'll make you bored as gently caress of the words, but you'll learn 'em.

you'll learn 'em good.

i drag my laptop home and just blaze through words- understanding arabic is a lot like trying to understand vietnam, so i wouldn't worry too much about it- just slam as much vocab as you can, and if you learn via the 3 letter root and measure (you'll learn about this in unit 2), so be it. if you learn every word for what it is, so be it. in the meantime, just slam glossary.

oh.

and REMEMBER the words for SAUSAGE and BABY SITTER.

Hey, hit me up with some of the issues down there at DLI. I have been trying to get a no-poo poo picture of some of the genuine problems for army students at the language school, but that's hard to do when all I get comes through formal channels from the senior leadership and staff there. I really need some ground truth for a change.

I know you don't have PM, but if you happen to be one of the 11B3Vs that I helped get a waiver to reclass to 35P, you should still have my contact information.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
GreenMeat, I wish you'd been around 20 years ago...

• Locked thread