Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeX Majors
Apr 16, 2006
Joined for the archives

Baron Bifford posted:

Geoff Johns also created an Infra-Red Lantern Corps. In fact, there are five Infra-Red Lanterns on that cover. Can you spot them all?

Man, those are going to be a *bitch* to make into Toy Rings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Make 'em out of clear plastic with a reddish tint and maybe a little red LED that lights up inside? Eh, never mind, I see your point.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Only wise men can see these toy rings.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Those third army dudes or whatever the gently caress is behind the lanterns look like the unfinished clones from the Stallone Judge Dredd and it's freaking me out.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Mr. Squishy posted:

Only wise men can see these toy rings.

Oh! Oh, I see them! And I'mwearing one too!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
FF #20: Artist Nick Dragotta draws the funniest face I've ever seen on Black Bolt.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.
He looks like Barry from The Tick.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

TwoPair posted:

FF #20: Artist Nick Dragotta draws the funniest face I've ever seen on Black Bolt.

He just sat in something REALLY unpleasant.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The FF artist if it's been the same throughout just hates Black Bolt because that's certainly not the first Black Bolt weird face that's been posted here.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I think he hates drawing well.

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

"My sole motive is to inform the public as to that which is done in their name and that which is done against them."
Am I seriously reading people making GBS threads on Nick Dragotta? I'm pretty sure he makes Black Bolt's face emotive because the dude DOESN'T loving SPEAK.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

d00gZ posted:

Am I seriously reading people making GBS threads on Nick Dragotta? I'm pretty sure he makes Black Bolt's face emotive because the dude DOESN'T loving SPEAK.

I don't think the fact he makes his face "emotive" is the reason he is being poo poo upon.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Lurdiak posted:

I think he hates drawing well.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I don't think the fact he makes his face "emotive" is the reason he is being poo poo upon.
Nick Dragotta draws more in a given issue of FF than just Black Bolt's face. He has had two Black Bolt faces singled out in this thread as weird/goofy/lovely.

He also draws the faces of a few dozen other characters, who do not exhibit the same problems shown in the two Black Bolt faces singled out in this thread.

You can argue that his interpretation of Black Bolt is dumb/bad/etc. but it's pretty clearly an artistic choice and not just "Hi I'm Nick Dragotta and I can't draw for poo poo! Want proof? Here, let's cherry pick two panels! What, no I didn't draw anyone else!"

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Edge & Christian posted:

Nick Dragotta draws more in a given issue of FF than just Black Bolt's face. He has had two Black Bolt faces singled out in this thread as weird/goofy/lovely.

He also draws the faces of a few dozen other characters, who do not exhibit the same problems shown in the two Black Bolt faces singled out in this thread.

You can argue that his interpretation of Black Bolt is dumb/bad/etc. but it's pretty clearly an artistic choice and not just "Hi I'm Nick Dragotta and I can't draw for poo poo! Want proof? Here, let's cherry pick two panels! What, no I didn't draw anyone else!"

I wasn't talking about the artist overall, just that panel. People aren't making GBS threads on him just because that panel is "emotive" just its weird looking. Just because you don't like one panel means you think the artist is bad, unless you say that.

VVV I wasn't talking about you, you specifically said he was bad, but you were the only one.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jul 26, 2012

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I totally think the artist is bad, I dropped FF after two issues even though I loved the writing.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Maybe he likes drawing Black Bolt with weird faces.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

I totally think the artist is bad, I dropped FF after two issues even though I loved the writing.
You quit FF because of Steve Epting? Now, Juan Bobillo, I could understand.

Dragotta gave us Peter Parker's Crazy Alien Drink Extravaganza, and for that, I'll always be grateful.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Codependent Poster posted:

Maybe he likes drawing Black Bolt with weird faces.

I like reading a book with Black Bolt making funny faces.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

I had presumed that Dragotta was being posted as an example of good art :psyduck:

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I figured they were trying to catch up with that smaller, Winnebago-sized ship, by going to ludicrous speed.

That Ignorant Sap
Nov 20, 2010

YOU AIN'T LOOKIN' AT A
BUNCH OF RHINOS, HERE.
From Cable & Deadpool #30, This is just painful to look at, both pose and perspective.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Waterhaul posted:

I had presumed that Dragotta was being posted as an example of good art :psyduck:

His art is good it's just he seems to have a habit of drawing bad Black Bolts.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

That Ignorant Sap posted:

From Cable & Deadpool #30, This is just painful to look at, both pose and perspective.

Didn't know DD was a yoga enthusiast.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Didn't know DD was a superheroine.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

That Psylocke vs Daredevil should have been just a bunch of those poses.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Gah, what the gently caress?

90 degree back spine bend AND 90 degree hips twist, weird straightleg incredily tight splits, broken ankle, extremely long legs, extremely short arms, dislocated shoulder, entirely absent neck, stretched torso... what ISN'T wrong with that?

No wonder he's grimacing.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

When I see that panel I want to add a big sound effect coming from his back going "CRAAAACKKK!".

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I don't even think my GI Joes could do that pose without the mid-section elastic band snapping.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

Peel posted:

Didn't know DD was a superheroine.

Only the most powerful male heroes can pull off the classic "boobs + butt" pose.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Bubble-T posted:

Only the most powerful male heroes can pull off the classic "boobs + butt" pose.

The gay crowd are entitled to some eye candy too ;-*

That Ignorant Sap
Nov 20, 2010

YOU AIN'T LOOKIN' AT A
BUNCH OF RHINOS, HERE.
That's actually Iron Fist in disguise. This was during Civil War, and I can't remember why he took over.
Is this why Luke Cage hangs around him so much? It was brought up in an earlier issue of C&Dp that there could have been some deep dark desire there... Between Cable and DP, too, what with the back massages and all. "Nate, can I use WD-40 on your left shoulder?"

al-azad
May 28, 2009

thespaceinvader posted:

Gah, what the gently caress?

90 degree back spine bend AND 90 degree hips twist, weird straightleg incredily tight splits, broken ankle, extremely long legs, extremely short arms, dislocated shoulder, entirely absent neck, stretched torso... what ISN'T wrong with that?

No wonder he's grimacing.

I think whoever drew this must have been referencing the Spider-Man pose cheat sheet. Gratuitous rear end shot, legs spread, arms flailing, yeah all the check boxes are marked.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Madkal posted:

Didn't know DD was a yoga enthusiast.

Honestly, I think that a lot of artists ARE drawing from extreme sports and yoga for their body poses. Obviously they're exaggerated, but at the same time the human body is capable of ridiculous flexibility if you train it enough--and aren't superheroes (the human kind) expected to be peak possible humans in all disciplines and trainings?

DD's pose looks like a combo of:

and

Some of the poses are even more ridiculous than what comics put out.

Mister Roboto fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Jul 27, 2012

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

If it was just stuff like that it would be OK. The human body bends that way, just about.

But his lower leg, for instance, flops like a wet noodle through about a 30 degree sideways bend, and his torso looks like it would be significantly longer than his arms if he was standing upright etc etc.

It's not that it's a difficult or strange-lookiing position, it's that it's outright impossible, just like most of the weird t&a shots.

I mean, even the contortionist/yogic back bend in the second shot there is fine, but they wouldn't be able to do that easily whilst leaping through the air, stretching to catch a thrown baton, and doing the splits, and more crucially, they wouldn't be able to do that and twist their torsos round to the side at the same time.

They're clearly not drawing from reference, or it wouldn't be so poo poo.

e: the second from bottom there is closest, I guess. I am finding it very hard to parse that pose.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Any chance that the artist was purposely mocking the tits and rear end poses commonly seen on female superheroines? That is taken from a Deadpool comic after all.

salamanderbaby
Jan 1, 2009

Get out, get out of my sanctum and drown your spirits in woe.

Mister Roboto posted:

Honestly, I think that a lot of artists ARE drawing from extreme sports and yoga for their body poses. Obviously they're exaggerated, but at the same time the human body is capable of ridiculous flexibility if you train it enough--and aren't superheroes (the human kind) expected to be peak possible humans in all disciplines and trainings?

DD's pose looks like a combo of:

and

Some of the poses are even more ridiculous than what comics put out.

Those sure are fighting poses.

In peak physical condition, the human body can bend into all sorts of weird shapes. Even the boobs n' butt is technically possible. But no one fights like that. Superhero comic artists shouldn't reference yoga unless the character is stretching. They should reference boxing, wrestling, martial arts, etc.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Fruits of the sea posted:

Any chance that the artist was purposely mocking the tits and rear end poses commonly seen on female superheroines? That is taken from a Deadpool comic after all.

Female superheroines? As opposed to the male superheroines I suppose ;)

It's possible. One can but hope. But it still doesn't excuse the myriad issues aside from the T&A pose.

I think it's the wonky ankle that bothers me most.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

That's actually Iron Fist in disguise. This was during Civil War, and I can't remember why he took over.

Because Brubaker threw Matt Murdock in jail, but his editor didn't bother to tell anyone else at Marvel.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Is this why Luke Cage hangs around him so much? It was brought up in an earlier issue of C&Dp that there could have been some deep dark desire there... Between Cable and DP, too, what with the back massages and all. "Nate, can I use WD-40 on your left shoulder?"

I thought Danny didn't take over for Matt until he was in jail which was well past this point, wasn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Rhyno posted:

I thought Danny didn't take over for Matt until he was in jail which was well past this point, wasn't it?

Yes.

Bendis put Matt in jail at the end of his run. The end of Brubakers first arc Matt finds out that there's another Daredevil running around New York so breaks out to see who it is.

It turns out to be Iron Fist who had received a request to dress up as Daredevil while Matt was in jail and had presumed that Matt/Foggy had made the request to take some of the heat of Matt. Vanessa Fisk ends up being the mastermind in a big long "last act of vengeance" plan.

There was some bad back tracking over the identity from Marvel when the reveal was accidently leaked early.