Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
Call Applecare and escalate the issue up the management chain if necessary. If they can't get it to connect to their own routers (especially after a network boot from one of their known-good OS installs, which I assume they tried at the genius bar...?) it's clearly an issue with the iMac itself. Point this out repeatedly if necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Choadmaster posted:

Call Applecare and escalate the issue up the management chain if necessary. If they can't get it to connect to their own routers (especially after a network boot from one of their known-good OS installs, which I assume they tried at the genius bar...?) it's clearly an issue with the iMac itself. Point this out repeatedly if necessary.

Yeah, you definitely need to be persistent. A few years ago, my wife's macbook was having wifi problems, and I eventually figured out that it was related to the backlight on the LCD being turned on. As soon as power management kicked in and dimmed the screen, there was no packet loss. Very weird.

It took a lot of work to prove to the techs at the genius bar that something was actually wrong. I showed them that packet latency to the router increased when the backlight was on, but they insisted that packet ping times weren't an accurate indicator of connectivity. I even went so far to produce a graph that showed the difference in ping times on this machine with the backlight off vs on, and finally proved to them that something was wrong.

They eventually replaced the power inverter, but that was after I had to prove that it wasn't the router, and after they tried replacing the airport card.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Oh God, someone on reddit has created a help thread to ask for guidance on what to do when you spill lube into the keyboard of your rMBP.

I am almost crying with laughter. If someone has any advice for the guy, help a guy out.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

ufarn posted:

Oh God, someone on reddit has created a help thread to ask for guidance on what to do when you spill lube into the keyboard of your rMBP.

I am almost crying with laughter. If someone has any advice for the guy, help a guy out.

It's you, isn't it? You spilled the lube.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

chupacabraTERROR posted:

It's you, isn't it? You spilled the lube.
Do they really need to make those bottles so slippery? I mean seriously.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

Choadmaster posted:

I'd just like to point out that AppleCare over the phone cannot override any decisions made by an Apple Retail Store (and vice versa). While I agree that he's getting screwed by the store, he has to escalate within the store to resolve this. His best bet is to ask to talk to the store leader and at minimum get a new Airport card installed. It really only takes about 20 minutes in an iMac to do and the part is really cheap. The store he's going to must really suck, that would never happen at mine but I can say the other store in town here would probably do that since they have really bad leadership and training issues there.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah I've had issues with this apple store before. It's so loving busy that they can't handle their poo poo at all. When I bought the iMac they forgot to switch out the mouse for the trackpad and gave me a receipt for an iPhone. That pretty much sums up my average experience with that store.

That and the genius bar people seem to give zero fucks. I used to have an iPhone that would randomly turn itself off and when I brought it in, the guy literally hit the home button, said "looks fine to me" handed it back to me and called next person up when I was in the middle of a sentence.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

a bad poster yall posted:

Rumours about the 13" MBPr suggest the same 2x native resolution that the 15" has.

I wish they'd use the 1440x res that the Air has. I don't think I could cope with 1280.
Well you'd have 2560x1600 pixels to work with, I imagine one of the scaled resolutions like on the 15" would be usable.

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010
I have the first edition unibody MacBook. Didn't get anything super fancy, I believe it's the standard processor at the time and 2MB Ram.

Am going to be okay running Mountain Lion or should I stick to what I am currently running?

luvd
Sep 29, 2011

don't like omelettes but i'll eat crepes all day long

japtor posted:

Well you'd have 2560x1600 pixels to work with, I imagine one of the scaled resolutions like on the 15" would be usable.

I think the step above "best for Retina" would probably be fair usable, but from what I've read that would require irritating scaling which would stress the machine more leading to scrolling being more sluggish etc.

I need to stop bitching and just buy a new machine really. Anything is going to blow what I currently use out of the water.

AzCoug posted:

I have the first edition unibody MacBook. Didn't get anything super fancy, I believe it's the standard processor at the time and 2MB Ram.

Am going to be okay running Mountain Lion or should I stick to what I am currently running?

I think we have the same machine (although I have 4GB of RAM, and ML feels much nicer than Lion which was a bit horrible after SL.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do

NESguerilla posted:

Yeah I've had issues with this apple store before. It's so loving busy that they can't handle their poo poo at all. When I bought the iMac they forgot to switch out the mouse for the trackpad and gave me a receipt for an iPhone. That pretty much sums up my average experience with that store.

The trick is to figure out when they're less busy than usual, and go then.

My experiences with the Apple Store here are always fantastic. However, one of their employees goes to my church, and whenever I'm in the store and I see him, I make sure to say hi. He never actually ends up helping me (he's one of the 1-on-1 guys), but it seems to help.

Lesson: make friends with Apple employees.

And man, I'm really starting to get tired of my Windows PC, and I want a new shiny iMac, but my wife says we don't have enough money (and that I don't need a new computer). Why does it still feel like their desktop hardware prices are well into "Apple Tax" territory?

calcio
May 7, 2007

No Totti No party
Glad to see the rumors of a 13" rMBP. I'm sitting in a holding pattern as well waiting to upgrade. The 15" is still a tad too heavy and big for my commuting purposes. I suppose we won't get the updated 13" until early next year. :(

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

Axiem posted:

And man, I'm really starting to get tired of my Windows PC, and I want a new shiny iMac, but my wife says we don't have enough money (and that I don't need a new computer). Why does it still feel like their desktop hardware prices are well into "Apple Tax" territory?

MacBook prices are now somewhat reasonable for what you get in the mobile market today when you factor in that you are getting current-gen internal hardware, top-tier displays, still one of the best keyboards, top-tier build quality, the best trackpad on the market, and solid battery life. Windows laptops/ultraportables with similar specifications, and battery life, as well as non-plasticky, solid build quality are only marginally cheaper. Once you get into 15" RMBP/17" range this theory doesn't hold up as well.

iMacs feel behind because you can build a Windows desktop with WAY more power for literally half the price and aside from the form factor, the arguments for the laptop world don't really apply here. However, to get a display as nice as the iMac's display, you'll have to shell out $250+ on top of the desktop itself which is something to consider. A custom built Windows PC is still a lot cheaper and has way more power, though. I also just realized that a custom built desktop is also much, much easier to upgrade and keep up to date over the years on your own.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

calcio posted:

I suppose we won't get the updated 13" until early next year. :(

It's possible it would come this year but very unlikely. Look at it this way:

1) 1st generation 'bugs' ironed out with the 15 rMBP.
2) Haswell is the intel "tock" schedule of processors. This is always a nice benefit
3) More improvements in software that's been updated to take advantage of retina rendering-- including windows 7/8 if you bootcamp.

I really really really want a 15 inch retina, but I'm holding off (at LEAST until refurbs come out, but likely until the second generation).

comper posted:

However, to get a display as nice as the iMac's display, you'll have to shell out $250+ on top of the desktop itself which is something to consider.

More like $400 (If you go with a korean import) + dual link display adapter, or $700-1000 for a Dell/HP/Apple 27 inch IPS 1440 monitor.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

Shmoogy posted:

More like $400 (If you go with a korean import) + dual link display adapter, or $700-1000 for a Dell/HP/Apple 27 inch IPS 1440 monitor.

Touche. I didn't want to sound too pro-mac in my post, but it's hard now that I've tasted the koolaid.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

comper posted:

iMacs feel behind because you can build a Windows desktop with WAY more power for literally half the price and aside from the form factor, the arguments for the laptop world don't really apply here. However, to get a display as nice as the iMac's display, you'll have to shell out $250+ on top of the desktop itself which is something to consider. A custom built Windows PC is still a lot cheaper and has way more power, though. I also just realized that a custom built desktop is also much, much easier to upgrade and keep up to date over the years on your own.

Yeah, that was the logic when I built this one. I kept my old monitor, and was able to build a new computer more powerful than an iMac for much cheaper (at the time). It's just that as I do more stuff with the iPhone and iPad, and working with my sister's MacBook Pro, the more I find that I'm really tired of Windows, and just want a Mac.

I've definitely toyed with getting a Mac Mini; it's just that when I spec it out to match my Windows computer in power, I'm already to the point where I could just spend a little more and get an iMac that's better than my current computer. That gap seems kind of ridiculous, though my insistence on getting an SSD and HDD really doesn't help, I imagine (since that's a ton extra cost on the Apple side).

And yes, I get that laptops are pretty much parity, which is why I specified desktops :v: I hadn't before thought of the effect of the monitor on top of that. Though I do often remind myself, the iMac is basically built like a laptop, just without a foldable screen.

Also, a minor kvetch: I'd really like a medium-sized iMac. 21.5" is too small, and 27" would probably be too big. A 24" would be perfect. (I'm currently rocking a 22", and it at times feels a mite small; though now that I think about it, I might have to see...)

Still, coughing up 2500$-3000$ (when I spec out an iMac, that's what it tends to come to) for a computer when I could build something a fair amount cheaper just seems...wrong. Either that or I need to convince my wife that we have more money than we do :(

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Axiem posted:

Still, coughing up 2500$-3000$ (when I spec out an iMac, that's what it tends to come to) for a computer when I could build something a fair amount cheaper just seems...wrong. Either that or I need to convince my wife that we have more money than we do :(

I can totally relate. My girlfriend and I have and love our iPads and iPod Touches so I've looked into making the switch for my desktop. Just can't justify $2-3k for an iMac but I'm holding out hope the Mac Mini refresh will be enough of a bump to justify the $1k plunge.

I don't get the same "holy poo poo this is a steal" feeling looking at Mac desktops that I did when buying my New iPad. Not really sure what they could offer in a desktop to be the desktop equivalent of the gorgeous retina displays in their iOS devices though. A retina iMac would be waaaaaaaay out of my price range even leveraging Apple's amazing supply chain.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Main things are to wait for refurbs to save a chunk of change and do upgrades yourself (...when possible, which is usually the case with the desktops and fatter notebooks).

Otherwise in general I guess save on specs instead of going all out unless you really need to have the fastest possible CPU/GPU/etc.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Way back when, someone linked me to a vinyl sticker to put on the webcam of a Mac. I can't for the life of me find the link in my bookmarks, but I would love to have it, if someone has the link lying around.

EDIT: I see I have a link for "Creative Cam Covers", which doesn't exist in the Amazon UK store. The shop must be able to send to Europe.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jul 26, 2012

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

japtor posted:

Main things are to wait for refurbs to save a chunk of change and do upgrades yourself (...when possible, which is usually the case with the desktops and fatter notebooks).

I haven't seen any of the SSD machines come up as refurbs, and I don't think I can add that myself later. I am, however, speccing to minimum RAM, as I know I can just upgrade that at my leisure.

I'm also kicking myself for when I built this computer, I could have just bought a Mac then and been done with it, but nooo, I was like "Oh, I'll save money!". And now I'm starting to loathe Windows.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Does anyone running Win8 on their MBP:R know how to crank the brightness up? I turned off adaptive brightness in the settings but it's still limiting my brightness to around 50%. When I run that windows benchmark thing it kicks it up to max brightness just to drop it down again after it ends.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Finally. They are actually going to replace the airport card. I told them I wouldn't take it home until it was fixed or I had a new computer. Lo and behold they tested again, and big surprise it was hosed up. Thanks for dicking around with me for 3 days over a problem a was able to demonstrate to you five seconds after I brought it in Apple.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.

a bad poster yall posted:

I think the step above "best for Retina" would probably be fair usable, but from what I've read that would require irritating scaling which would stress the machine more leading to scrolling being more sluggish etc.

Scaling is essentially free these days. You don't get a performance boost dropping your Xbox's output res from 1080p to 720p and letting your TV scale instead.

The sluggish performance from the higher resolutions on the rMBP is just from the fact that you're pushing 3360x2100 and 3840x2400 pixels (that's 36% and 77% more, respectively) through the GPU in the first place, not that it's being scaled down to 2880x1800.

There'd be practically zero difference in performance between rendering 2880x1800 natively to a 2880x1800 panel and scaling it down to 2560x1600, but cost is another story. They're not going to pack an even-denser display with the same res as the 15" into a cheaper 13", particularly if they're incorporating a discrete GPU for the first time as well.

I'm still curious as to how they're going to get a 13" Retina display, increased battery to power it, and presumably a discrete GPU into a smaller enclosure without dropping to the lower-power CPUs in the Air, and more importantly what the price-point is, but I guess we'll see if/when the rumours pan out.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jul 27, 2012

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

BGrifter posted:

I can totally relate. My girlfriend and I have and love our iPads and iPod Touches so I've looked into making the switch for my desktop. Just can't justify $2-3k for an iMac but I'm holding out hope the Mac Mini refresh will be enough of a bump to justify the $1k plunge.

I'm keeping my ridiculous gaming desktop but waiting for the mini hardware refresh, otherwise I'm in a similar situation. The iPod Touch and iPad with an ATV works well for home entertainment.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

ufarn posted:

Way back when, someone linked me to a vinyl sticker to put on the webcam of a Mac. I can't for the life of me find the link in my bookmarks, but I would love to have it, if someone has the link lying around.

EDIT: I see I have a link for "Creative Cam Covers", which doesn't exist in the Amazon UK store. The shop must be able to send to Europe.
These might work:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Diameter-Pl...43358658&sr=1-4

Axiem posted:

I haven't seen any of the SSD machines come up as refurbs, and I don't think I can add that myself later. I am, however, speccing to minimum RAM, as I know I can just upgrade that at my leisure.

I'm also kicking myself for when I built this computer, I could have just bought a Mac then and been done with it, but nooo, I was like "Oh, I'll save money!". And now I'm starting to loathe Windows.
It's not too bad on a Mac mini at least, iMac requires more work but others here have done it and think it's doable enough.

frumpsnake posted:

I'm still curious as to how they're going to get a 13" Retina display, increased battery to power it, and presumably a discrete GPU into a smaller enclosure without dropping to the lower-power CPUs in the Air, and more importantly what the price-point is, but I guess we'll see if/when the rumours pan out.
Besides cutting out the optical drive, they'd also be getting rid of the 2.5" drive and presumably some ports. Ports might not be a huge amount but every little bit counts. If it's like the 15" it'll have a chunk of extra thickness over the MBA too.

japtor fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jul 27, 2012

wildlele
Jun 19, 2004

Battmann
I was given a mid-2010 iMac with 4GB of memory. Would upgrading to 8GB be worthwhile? I do not really do much beyond web browsing.

rearadmiral.rowboat
Apr 11, 2009

And ev'ry last inch of me's covered with HAIR!

Mu Zeta posted:

What do you plan to do with the Air? If you don't already know you need 8 gigs of RAM for something then you will probably be fine with 4.

To be honest if it was me I'd get the 256SSD and the 8gig RAM. I wouldn't be comfortable with any less than that with a new computer.

The most taxing things I would do with it would be doing some numerical simulations and have a bunch of chrome tabs and pdfs open. I'm having the problem now of running out of RAM with 3 gigs, and I can't imagine browsers being more efficient 4 years from now, so I thought it would be better to just get 8 gigs.

The hard drive upgrade is a huge cost. If I get 8 gigs of ram, 256 gig hard drive, and an i7 processor, I'm getting close in price to a rMBP, and still quite far in performance.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

wildlele posted:

I was given a mid-2010 iMac with 4GB of memory. Would upgrading to 8GB be worthwhile? I do not really do much beyond web browsing.

RAM is cheap as dirt, especially if you're only using 2x4GB sticks, so go for it if you can spend the money. It certainly never hurts.

eames
May 9, 2009

I ordered a CTO rMBP last week and figure it will be assembled within the next few days.
What worries me the most are the ghosting/image retention issues.
Someone on arstechnica mentioned that it only affected the very first batch of rMBPs and the QC issue is completely fixed now. It would be nice to hear from rMBP owners with this issue and how they solved it.

AFAIK Apple doesn’t do direct replacements for CTO items and that worries me (even though my machine has not arrived yet).

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004

eames posted:

I ordered a CTO rMBP last week and figure it will be assembled within the next few days.
Someone on arstechnica mentioned that it only affected the very first batch of rMBPs and the QC issue is completely fixed now. It would be nice to hear from rMBP owners with this issue and how they solved it.

AFAIK Apple doesn’t do direct replacements for CTO items and that worries me (even though my machine has not arrived yet).

No direct replacements, meaning they will refuse to replace / refund the machine? Or that you need to treturn and re-order?

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

eames posted:

I wouldn't worry about this. I custom built a rMBP and had backlight issues. Within a week they sent me a brand new model with the same build direct from China.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

The OWC Mercury Helios PCIe Expansion Chassis is available now for $380. For Your Expansion.

Bootable, driverless on Mac and PC apparently, but maybe that's only with PCIe SSDs in the slot.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
Does OWC ever have sales/coupons/discount things ? I'm super interested in an eGPU setup, but not for $400 :(.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

kuskus posted:

The OWC Mercury Helios PCIe Expansion Chassis is available now for $380. For Your Expansion.

Bootable, driverless on Mac and PC apparently, but maybe that's only with PCIe SSDs in the slot.

Would it be possible to put a supported graphics card from a Mac Pro into this thing and have it work without requiring third party drivers?

taint toucher
Sep 23, 2004

echobucket posted:

Would it be possible to put a supported graphics card from a Mac Pro into this thing and have it work without requiring third party drivers?

A few problems off the top of my head, so anyone please correct me if I'm wrong:

1. All of the Mac Pro supported cards are full length and not half, so the card wouldn't even physically fit in the enclosure.

2. OS X treats a thunderbolt equipped GPU differently than one directly attached to the PCI-E bus will will require a modified driver to work. I believe it's because TB is hotswappable.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Got my iMac back with the new airport card and...it's worse than it was before now. I loving give up. Do these things just inherently have poo poo wifi capabilities? This thing is such a piece of poo poo. I wish so much that I could go back and un-buy it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Have you tried a USB wifi stick? Maybe that can rule out if something is wrong with the card. There are two iMacs in my house and both work fine right now.

taint toucher
Sep 23, 2004

My 2011 27" works just fine with regards to wifi.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
I have a 2009 iMac and have never experienced the issues you describe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

If the card's been switched out the only other culprits are the antenna or the logic board.