Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Zombie Rasputin posted:

How's support for the magic trackpad on non-osx OSes? I'd say give that a try.

For content:
The HP Jornada 720 (Or 'Handheld PCs' in general)

I wanted one so bad when I was in middle school. I would always go play with them in Best Buy and dream about one day having the money to afford such a small computer. Years later I got my first job and bought one off ebay for ~$200. This is still pre-smartphone proliferation, btw. I installed doom, but the screen ghosting made it unplayable, so I used it as the most awkward mp3 player ever. Also, if you let the battery die, it would resort to its' backup battery (a CR2032) to keep its' memory. Leave it dead for too long and you'd have a completely factory resetted device and a bunch of warnings about your dead backup battery. It's still sitting in my room.

I had this e90 imported for about $1,000 back when I actually had money

Looks like this when folded up

The hardware was fantastic. Battery life and call quality were better than my current iphone 4. The OS (Symbian) was awful though. Couldn't even keep a steady wifi connection and the GPS didn't work at all.

It was huge but I have enormous hands so it worked for me. Hated the "make phones as small as possible" trend that was going on when that came out.

PS Also a member of the "thinkpad is awesome" club. My new model lenovo is the best laptop I've ever used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

leidend posted:

Oh you kids with your "old" Creative Zens... I wish I had one of those.

64mb Samsung Yepp

Samsung has recently been a force in the mobile/music market but they weren't when this was made and for about 10 years after. Apparently Yepp is still a brand but they look exactly like iphones now.

Listened to it in the car with the old cassette adapter. These would break every few months

Couldn't use those fm adapters because there isn't a single "empty" radio station where I live.

When I bought my latest car, an aux port was a must.

I still use a cassette adapter and it still works pretty drat well. My e36 only has a tape deck and I really hate aftermarket stereos.

Palpatine MD
Jan 31, 2012

Passionate about your involuntary euthanasia.

leidend posted:

Listened to it in the car with the old cassette adapter. These would break every few months

Couldn't use those fm adapters because there isn't a single "empty" radio station where I live.

When I bought my latest car, an aux port was a must.
My car(stereo) is stuck in technological limbo. It's too new to have a cassette deck, but it's too old for an AUX port. Couple that with living in an area where there's no clear FM bands available for a transmitter, and I'm consigned to Compact Discs in my car :p

I've three of these with me every time I drive:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

torjus posted:

Here is an image depicting a Creative Zen Touch with french language settings playing some Joe Cocker:

It's called "Touch" because there's a small strip under the OK-button which is kind of touch sensitive.
The thing is that the Zen Touch can withstand anything short of a direct bomb blast. I've had it hit the floor on many occasions, but it still keeps on truckin'. Pair that with 24h battery life and you have a pretty good MP3-player!

Ah ... that's the exact same model of Zen that I dropped once and killed. It was a pretty good MP3 player, though.

squeegee
Jul 22, 2001

Bright as the sun.

RoboSpy posted:

Unfortunately (fortunately?) I never experienced Microsoft BOB, but I was wondering if anyone here did? All I know about it I learned from Wikipedia, though I do have vague memories of ads for it when I was a kid, and may have seen a demo computer with it at a CompUSA or something. Does anybody have stories about BOB, or a computer squirreled away somewhere with BOB still installed?

I used to play around with this all the time as a kid. I don't think I realized it wasn't really meant to be a game -- I just liked decorating the rooms and picking the little character that would talk to you.

Invisble Manuel posted:

I always wanted one of these:

It was a black and white video camera that recorded video to standard audio cassettes, from Fisher Price.

I don't think it recorded audio.

Sample video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jtj8ILSfKUM

They did record audio, and you could also hook them up to your TV, meaning you could use it as a monitor and also record it to VHS. I bought one of these in the early 2000s and got it modded to have RCA output, so I can (awkwardly) hook it up to a miniDV camera and make weird movies with it. The video is really interesting and eerie, but you need a ton of light to make it look like anything but a grey smear.

I also had this loving thing in like 2002 and thought I was pretty bomb:

It had good battery power and held a lot of songs for that era, but drat if it doesn't look ridiculous now.

Also, on the subject of laserdiscs, the college I went to had apparently invested heavily in them when they were new, and every single film we watched (as a Film Studies major, this was a lot) was played on laserdisc, which none of the aging professors understood how to use. This was in 2003-2005 and it was kind of surreal having to flip the disc over halfway through the movie and sometimes even switch to a second disc, considering that DVDs had been out for a while.

squeegee has a new favorite as of 03:03 on Jul 22, 2012

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

I bought the 30Gb version in 2005. It's been sitting on a shelf unused for over a year. I dug out the adapter and plugged it in and it's as good as ever. However, the battery is kaput, so I ordered a new one.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Pope Mobile posted:

I just thought of another one: The Zune. I knew I shouldn't have gotten one after my dad did (given his tracked record) but I loved mine. It was a great music player, and I really liked the market. I was sad when it got water damaged :(

I loved my Creative Zen but I'm going to be really sad when all my Zunes die. They are the best MP3 players I've ever used and I've yet to feel like it's the same experience playing music on a phone.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

This is my Creative Zen. I got it in 2007 and I still use it. I've dropped/thrown it more times than I can count and it just keeps on going.

Rock on, Zen, you hardy little bastard.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

Glottis posted:

I loved my Creative Zen but I'm going to be really sad when all my Zunes die. They are the best MP3 players I've ever used and I've yet to feel like it's the same experience playing music on a phone.

I really really liked the Zune hardware; that frosted polymer shell was sweet. The UI, eh.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Glottis posted:

If it's because of the IU and you have an Android there's a music player modeled after it called UberMusic that you should try:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.uberdroidstudio.ubermusic&hl=en

Herbicidal Maniac
Jun 3, 2008

You will be the effigy I burn, infused with all the traits that make them the detestable little goblins they are.

Mister Snips posted:

Carphones, yo

I knew tons of kids whose parents had carphones when i lived in the loving whitest and richest town ever (lake forest) back in the 90's. I don't think they were even hooked up, just status symbols.

E: actually considering how loving rich everyone was of course they were hooked up

Whoa whoa whoa, I know this is more than a few pages too late, but do you mean Lake Forest, IL? That's where I'm from!

Dazzler
May 14, 2003

At my signal, unleash Fell

Glottis posted:

Seriously. I use my HD daily, and my husband has one of the old bricks that he uses daily as well.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Magikarpal Tunnel posted:

This is my Creative Zen. I got it in 2007 and I still use it. I've dropped/thrown it more times than I can count and it just keeps on going.

You bastard, I had one and I broke the screen in less than a week.

Lamb of Gun
Apr 2, 2009

On the goodship lolli-gag, LSD and a bloody pile of rags, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, BUT I AM

A Mavica that recorded directly to CD. I probably don't need to tell you that it was the biggest piece of poo poo in the universe. My buddy had one and every time you snapped a picture you had to keep the bastard perfectly still for a few seconds or else it wouldn't write properly. I think this was produced somewhere in 2000-2002.

This on the other hand was the toughest and most reliable cellphone ever. The Motorola Talkabout.

edit: it cost the same as cellphones now. provided you sign a 2 year contract. 100 minutes and free voicemail for $49.99

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

They'd be similar to these bad boys

The old school Phillips mobiles from 99 were indestructible. I'd dropped mine, other people had thrown them against walls, dropped them in toilets, had them dropped in full pints. Put them back together or dry them out, no problem.

The G-Shock rubber cased Nokias from that time were the same too

edit: An entire two lines at a time on the screen for SMS/text messages too, and you could store upto 10 numbers I think

Camo Guitar
Jul 15, 2009

Lamb of Gun posted:

A Mavica that recorded directly to CD. I probably don't need to tell you that it was the biggest piece of poo poo in the universe. My buddy had one and every time you snapped a picture you had to keep the bastard perfectly still for a few seconds or else it wouldn't write properly. I think this was produced somewhere in 2000-2002.

I remember a local auction site having hundreds of those in crates a couple of years back - they were selling at about $100 each. Come to think of it, they probably still do...

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

MindlessHavok posted:

If it's because of the IU and you have an Android there's a music player modeled after it called UberMusic that you should try:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.uberdroidstudio.ubermusic&hl=en

Yeah, that's as close as I can get, but part of it is that I just like having a separate device. I can run the battery down on my Zune and not care, I can use all the storage space, etc.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Goldskull posted:

They'd be similar to these bad boys

The old school Phillips mobiles from 99 were indestructible. I'd dropped mine, other people had thrown them against walls, dropped them in toilets, had them dropped in full pints. Put them back together or dry them out, no problem.

The G-Shock rubber cased Nokias from that time were the same too

edit: An entire two lines at a time on the screen for SMS/text messages too, and you could store upto 10 numbers I think

This was my first phone, it was freaking awesome.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem

CommunistMojo posted:

Casio makes a kind of competing calculator but I think it's more of TI's having been around for so long that they're the standard. Hell I've never seen a book that gave instructions that weren't for a TI. A few people in my stats class were using casio's for a couple weeks until they just gave up and got TI's because no one knew how to do the functions we needed to do on casio's. I'd love to use my smart phone but I'm at a lovely community college and anyone under the age of 50 with a cellphone out is assumed to be texting. Also the casio's are just as expensive so chalk another one up to american business practices being stupid.

Hello oppositeland!
Back in my days at school here in Norway, everyone used Casios for the exact same reason, the text books all had the stuff for Casios and only a couple of students used TIs. Me and a friend made Snake and Tetris clones on ours, to have something to do in the boring math classes.

I'm also one of the people who rock the Creative NOMAD Jukebox 6 GB (the early discman shaped ones), rad as gently caress at the time, lasted me through a day at school, and then had to be charged for hours before I could use it the next day.
After 3 years with that, I upgraded to the Creative NOMAD Jukebox Xtra 40GB (also mentioned earlier in this thread), and it still works to this day. It's on top of one of my old speakers, and has been hooked to its charger for 7 years now. I stopped using it because some troubles with the audio jack. Also owned some of the smaller Creative Zens, before I got a Zune a couple of years ago. Still love it and use it every day, even with a SGSII with 64 GB memory card filled with music. Mostly because it has a better battery capacity and more awesome games. :P

I have to say, this thread has been a nice flashback for me. Remembering so many of the different things, which either we (as in me and my family) or our neighbours and friends owned.

e: Now that I think about it, I also rocked a Casiopeia with Windows CE 1.0 or something. Found it the other day, turned it on and the bastard still worked. Heck, even the stylus was with it. No idea where the charger is though.

Also, does anyone remember those pagers that came out about 10-12 years ago that was for hip kids and youths? I can't remember what they were called, but only a couple of kids in my town had them, and for half a year, they were some of the most popular kids because of those frustrating gizmos. "You got a cellphone? Well, look at this bitching thing!"

I also remember us having a car phone back in the 90s, and then again a carphone in an Audi my father bought 9 years ago. It wasn't with the standard kit, but he said it reminded him of the old days and payed extra for it. drat bastard worked too, but then again ... Norway.

e: Those pagers that was released for kids / youths, seem to have been in the 90s, and mostly for Scandinavia. They were released by Ericsson and called Mini-Link.

Datasmurf has a new favorite as of 14:32 on Jul 26, 2012

Maimgara
May 2, 2007
Chlorine for the Gene-pool.
Speaking of indestructible phones, how about a early Nokia phone designed to be hard wearing? I had one of these

Designed as a handyman / sports model, it had a steel case, rubber shock protection and waterproof covering. It had an accelerometer as one of the first models, paired with a sports app to record distances and calorie stuff. I liked it okay, wasn't flashy, but looked okay and could take any beating.
Now it's in a drawer somewhere, where it will outlast even our nuclear waste.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Magikarpal Tunnel posted:

I still have mine rocking around somewhere, but after not using it for a while because it deleted songs at random, I put it on charge for a trip, and when I tried to turn it on, it wouldn't. Turned out to be something related to it's firmware.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Maimgara posted:

Speaking of indestructible phones

My indestructible phone memories are of Qualcomm candybars that are so old I can't seem to find pictures of them on the web.

You know, Qualcomm. The fine folks who brought you Eudora, because Pegasus was for newbies.

Something like that. The StarTac was prohibitively expensive, okay?

VogeGandire posted:

IBM ThinkPad. Slow, unattractive, as reliable as an AK47 and along with cockroaches, game boys and Nokia 3310s, the only thing that will remain after nuclear war.

The Thinkpad is unattractive? You're dead to me.

vvv

JediTalentAgent posted:

I know they're generally mocked these days, but RealAudio used to be pretty popular back in the 90s. I know that in the pre-podcast, pre-youtube and pre-broadband days of internet video and radio it was a choppy and blocky, but it was still about as good as it got when it came to getting such content on slow connections.

http://i.imgur.com/uv8pu.jpg

moller has a new favorite as of 07:40 on Jul 27, 2012

BillyJoeBob
Feb 7, 2010

Anal-retentive, overly loquacious weapons scientist.

VogeGandire posted:

IBM ThinkPad. Slow, unattractive, as reliable as an AK47 and along with cockroaches, game boys and Nokia 3310s, the only thing that will remain after nuclear war.

Hell yeah! I got one of those in middle school... about 2003-4 and a bunch of other kids did too. They all ran on Windows 98 and were free, donated to the school for kids who had lovely handwriting. It actually did let me do my work faster but then I'd spend the rest of class playing Unreal Tournament and Red Alert 2 :smug: The battery was entirely non functional and if the incredibly loose power supply cable came out, it would die in 5 seconds. When I dug it out of my closet, I was reminded of those Russian tanks they'd dig out of swamps that pretty much still run from WWII. The thing was covered in dust and when I turned it on it gave me a bunch of RAM errors, and it turns out the motherboard or backup battery had died.
Edit: Forgot to say, when I get past all the errors it runs just fine, and plays Unreal Tournament great still.

BillyJoeBob has a new favorite as of 07:34 on Jul 27, 2012

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

Ignimbrite posted:

I still have mine rocking around somewhere, but after not using it for a while because it deleted songs at random, I put it on charge for a trip, and when I tried to turn it on, it wouldn't. Turned out to be something related to it's firmware.

I had the same happening to mine, eventually the firmware went on the fritz and by then I had an iPhone so i started using that as my main music player.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I know they're generally mocked these days, but RealAudio used to be pretty popular back in the 90s. I know that in the pre-podcast, pre-youtube and pre-broadband days of internet video and radio it was a choppy and blocky, but it was still about as good as it got when it came to getting such content on slow connections.

Even when it was popular, it was even criticized due to the footage not being of the same quality as Quicktime-grade video. Then once MS got into the game, Napster and file-sharing MP3s became the norm, it seemed like the reign of Real started coming to an end.

The only real streaming competition that I ever saw at that time was a format called "Vivoactive" which I thought was better than Realvideo with comparable file sizes.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VivoActive

According to a wiki on Vivo, it says it was popular because of its use on porn sites in the 90s, but from my recollection I only ever knew it from some early music video and movie trailer sites.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

JediTalentAgent posted:

I know they're generally mocked these days, but RealAudio used to be pretty popular back in the 90s.
Funnily enough Apple's trailer site was created from the fact the early version of the trailer for The Phantom Menace was in blocky RealPlayer format, so they used the publicity to promote Quicktime's better quality and streaming and to launch apple.com/trailers in the process.

I remember it taking something like an hour to download the 14mb trailer. The internet plan we were on had unlimited data, but was time limited - something like 18 hours.

So my sick day resulted in stumbling across the sheet of paper with the password for the internet account and download the Phantom Menace trailer, twice, because I thought it had corrupted when I only got white video.

I got the modem confiscated for the rest of the month as result.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

JediTalentAgent posted:

The only real streaming competition that I ever saw at that time was a format called "Vivoactive" which I thought was better than Realvideo with comparable file sizes.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VivoActive

According to a wiki on Vivo, it says it was popular because of its use on porn sites in the 90s, but from my recollection I only ever knew it from some early music video and movie trailer sites.

Vivo files were the format for pirating video in the mid 90s, as the files were smaller than mpegs and could be downloaded on a dialup.

The only free player didn't support skipping around when playing a video, so if you wanted to watch something you had to start over if you had to stop it for some reason. Picture quality was horrible, and everything looked rasterized for some reason. However, if you were on dialup and wanted to see a terrible Ranma fansub in 1997 you had little other choice.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
All y'all suckaz had the Nokia 3310, but I was the coolest kid with THIS the Nokia 3410.

This baby had animated 3D screen savers, a dedicated Hang up button and could store a British Library rivalling ten whole SMS messages. This thing was so much more beautiful (horrendously ugly) than the 3310 and Snake ran slower, allowing me to get a higher score than everyone else in school. I'm pretty sure it was even more indestructible than the 3310; at least it wouldn't come apart as often when you dropped it. And that was all the time because why not?

Unfortunately I moved house without taking this dude, but I'm sure it's still on somewhere at 98% charge.

Aipsh has a new favorite as of 14:42 on Jul 27, 2012

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
My cell phone from 1998 to early 2000

Motorolla StarTec. I think the only reason I liked it was because I felt like I was on Stark Trek or something.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Aidan_702 posted:

Unfortunately I moved house without taking this dude, but I'm sure it's still on somewhere at 98% charge.

Remember when phones had standby times that were literally measured in weeks?

Whereas the latest smartphone can maybe get 2 days of light use out of it.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

spog posted:

Remember when phones had standby times that were literally measured in weeks?

Whereas the latest smartphone can maybe get 2 days of light use out of it.

Yeah but i also remember a time when cellphones had a monochrome screen, a battery that got hosed up if you charged it wrong, monophonic ringtones and only enough memory to hold 25 phone numbers and 10 texts. I prefer plugging in my smartphone every two days...

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
Well maybe this 15 year battery phone will be good for the both of you

http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/12/spareone-cellphone-claims-15-year-battery-life-we-go-hands-on/

Ninja Toast!
Apr 22, 2009

JediTalentAgent posted:

About 5-8 years ago there was a minor bump in the US for store-bought HDD DVRs that weren't part of any subscription plan like Tivo or part of your cable/sat. plans.

Several companies made them, then overnight they all seemed to vanish. I think Magnavox was the one lone company that was still producing them for a US market, but not even Wal-mart or Amazon seems to have them now. (They've gone from about $200 new to over $400 USED. New ones on Amazon are listed at over $1000) However, I hear that part of the issue with why these devices stopped being made was because other companies held patents and the growing number of people with DVRs with their cable or satellite just didn't need or want them.

It's sort of funny because when I mention them to people they're really interested in them because they feel it would suit them perfectly.

Even something like the Sandisk V-Mate, which seemed poorly reviewed upon release, has managed to gain a following now and used ones go for about the same price as new when they came out.

edit: Are there even any decent DVD recorders with built-in tuners, anymore?

I still have one of these, worked and worked really well until about spring of last year. Comcast had already forced the tuner boxes on everyone but that was apparently when they decided to shut the regular signal off. Now its completely worthless and they want 7 extra bucks a month for a box that can record a finite amount of things but cant back them up. Lame.

I guess I could still offer to convert peoples home videos to dvd with it if I wanted to get some more value out of it.

Edit: No, basically everything requires you to get a tuning card from your provider. I suppose you may be able to get over the air channels somehow, but that's it.

Ninja Toast! has a new favorite as of 20:09 on Jul 27, 2012

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

I thought about getting a couple of those. Just throw one in the car and one behind the fridge or something. Just in case my wives in labor and a quantum filament disables all other communication systems or something like that.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Shai-Hulud posted:

Yeah but i also remember a time when cellphones had a monochrome screen, a battery that got hosed up if you charged it wrong, monophonic ringtones and only enough memory to hold 25 phone numbers and 10 texts. I prefer plugging in my smartphone every two days...

I hear what you are saying and it is definitely an unfair comparison: but still, I hate the fact that if you ever forget to charge it up one night, you'll spend the entire of the next day with battery anxiety.

Shai-Hulud posted:

I thought about getting a couple of those. Just throw one in the car and one behind the fridge or something. Just in case my wives in labor and a quantum filament disables all other communication systems or something like that.

I bought a horrible phone on clearance for 3 for exactly this. It takes a Nokia charger, so it's easy to keep a cheap car charger with it in the boot of the car.

The hardest part is remembering to make a call every 30 days to make sure it doesn't lose the credit on it.

VoilaIntruder
Aug 13, 2007
Voila Intruder, and he's brandishing two sticks.
I was lucky enough to attend a magnet middle-school in the late 90's that had this amazing Space Shuttle simulator. Unfortunately I was in the last class that used it before it was dismantled and destroyed during a renovation and this image from a dude's blog is all I can find.

http://www.fifer.net/blog/2011/07/04/my-space-story/ posted:

The highlight of the school was a Space Shuttle simulator, complete with mockups of the brand-new Endeavours flight deck and crew quarters; the space station Skylab, and an airlock connecting the two. There was also a complete Mission Control center, with authentic stations and displays, and a planetarium. Space themes were integrated throughout the daily curriculum, but students could also participate in overnight mission simulations.

I was already in high school by the time the program opened, but I was fortunate to have had a chance with my friend Rusty (owing to our apparent reputation across the school system as a computer nerds) to help setup and maintain the dozen or so computers throughout the complex. I have fond memories of crawling on my back beneath the flight deck floor to attach monitor cables, testing the audio equipment in Mission Control, and running the LaserDisc videos that simulated liftoff through the flight deck windows.

So yeah, a Laser Disc powered Space Shuttle and Skylab simulator probably fits this thread. The complete setup housed about 40 kids overnight, each taking a position at Mission Control, Skylab, or the Shuttle based on their midterm and final aeronautics test scores (I was Captain both times regardless of me barely passing any of my other courses. C'mon, it's the class with a loving Space Shuttle, of course I'm gonna reach for those stars.)

There were around a dozen Laser Disc players running during the 'missions,' each with a monitor in place of windows, so the Shuttle crew would see the front facing video from a real STS mission in the cockpit, the Skylab crew would have a looping orbit of earth through their portholes, Mission Control had several views of the launch and other monitors showing flight data. Everyone had a checklist assigned to them as well as a script with important events highlighted. The teacher was able to monitor from a room nearby, and if we didn't complete the tasks properly, say failing to flip a switch in the correct order or missing a com check, he could in theory trigger "hypothetical scenarios" from the Laser Discs by changing the video track to something disastrous, and though he never did this due to fears of disturbing the students after the fallout he received from parents over having us piece together why and how the Challenger disaster happened by watching the footage over and over, there was a very distinct pressure, especially for a seventh-grader, not to screw up.

Another one is this strange entry into the FMV-style choose your own story "game."

http://youtu.be/NCLTm0fGzDc
Please note, this game is optimized for Intel MMX systems, so make sure you check yo specs.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem

Aidan_702 posted:

All y'all suckaz had the Nokia 3310, but I was the coolest kid with THIS the Nokia 3410.
Yes, you and my grandmas. You were the coolest kids.
Everyone was jealous of my 3310 and my sister's 3330, and I had the school record on Snake II on it. Had it for 4 years, before I got another Nokia, and only because I had the need of storing more SMS and numbers on it.
My first phone was this old beauty though.

The Bosch 509 GSM. Stopped seeing Bosch mobile phones after the 2000s, so I guess it failed. Too bad, it was a nice little phone. Not quite a Nokia or an Ericsson (only the weird, poor kids had Motorola, and they got teased for it too), but not too shabby either.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

Bonzo posted:

My cell phone from 1998 to early 2000

Motorolla StarTec. I think the only reason I liked it was because I felt like I was on Stark Trek or something.

This was my phone in 2004 because I accidentally put my lovely LG mobile in the washing machine. I tried intentionally breaking it but the bastard refused to quit. :(

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Creature posted:

This was my phone in 2004 because I accidentally put my lovely LG mobile in the washing machine. I tried intentionally breaking it but the bastard refused to quit. :(

My Startac actually went through the washer and dryer and still worked. Couldn't even tell anything happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
This is my first mobile phone which I got in 2000, the a1018, made by Ericsson before they became Sony Ericsson and before they dropped the Ericsson name all together. I got it as part of a prepaid package, which cost me a cool AUD$200 at the time.

Fun fact: when I got this early 2000, text messaging was unavailable for pre-paid plan customers on the network I was on. They only got around to making it available for everyone later that year.