Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Alteisen posted:

Bayonetta can't use any of her hair magic till he says so.

I didn't know Sakamoto was at Platinum now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Azubah posted:

I didn't know Sakamoto was at Platinum now.

Bayothernetta

"I want Bayonetta sob uncontrollably about the trauma of seeing Fortitudo again, because he killed her friends 500 years ago."
"That's a terrible idea!"
"Okay, well, just make the "taunt" command into the "Breaks-down-into-hysterical-tears" command. Also, she can't use any wicked weaves without authorization from someone with a Y chromosome."

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jul 28, 2012

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

Well, the first game about about Father, so clearly the sequel needs to be about The Baby.

The tragic loss of Cereza's Cheshire doll. "The Cheshire"

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Leave it to the Devil May Cry thread to get me excited for Darksiders.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I never thought I would be anticipating a Darksiders game, but drat did they fix it up.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Allegedly, New Dante is going to appear in the upcoming "Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale" crossover game thing.

This was apparently extracted from a beta.

Dante is in red, Nariko - aka Kratos with tits - is in blue.

Source: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=484424

Yeah...this game comes out in October, so we'll know then if it's being truthful, or a steaming heap of lies.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I could see New Dante being something Capcom told them to go with when they probably asked to use the the one from the PS2 games.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Is that Yugi from Yugi-oh, between Sackboy and Sony-Cat? I'm having doubts about that leak.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Schubalts posted:

Is that Yugi from Yugi-oh, between Sackboy and Sony-Cat? I'm having doubts about that leak.

It's Spike from Ape Escape:

The other characters in the image are:
Raiden (MGS)
Good Cole and Evil Cole (Infamous)
Jak (Jak and Daxter)
Ratchet (Ratchet and Clank)
Sir Daniel (Medevil)
The Sony Cat "Toro"
Sackboy (Little Big Planet)
And Heihachi (Tekken)
And the Question Mark Twins making their debut

Oh, and possibly DmC's Kat is going to be in this game as an assist for Dante, judging by the file names. She's no Lady, that's for sure :colbert:

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jul 29, 2012

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Updated image for that Battle thing.

I hope it's fake, because well...look at his face. What's wrong with your facccccce?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sackboy is the only person who really looks happy to be there. He's all "I'm in a crossover fighter! I'm a real mascot!" Everyone else looks some variation of smug or faintly annoyed.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Most of those look like they are badly cropped using MSPaint or some such, very hard to believe.

On the other hand I bet it will be immensely satisfying to kick new Dante's rear end with Raiden.

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

Will the Ape Escape character be able to vacuum pants off the other characters?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

ImpAtom posted:

Sackboy is the only person who really looks happy to be there. He's all "I'm in a crossover fighter! I'm a real mascot!" Everyone else looks some variation of smug or faintly annoyed.

Sackboy is basically :downs: incarnate.

I'm amused that they're basically going to use characters from a sorry rip-off of God of War (when Kratos is in this game), and what's looking to be a DMC-in-name-only, while Classic Dante is off on another crossover.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I'd hang out with that cool cat, whatever his name is.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

notZaar posted:

On the other hand I bet it will be immensely satisfying to kick new Dante's rear end with Raiden.

It's gotten to the point where people might enjoy seeing Raiden, who was once derided as a terrible "replacement" for Solid Snake in MGS2, beat the poo poo out of new Dante, who is slated to replace current Dante through a reboot.

The irony of Raiden being the star of a game currently being developed by Dante's creator makes it even better. Was wrong. Still, it does you good to laugh.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jul 30, 2012

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Kamiya is not the director of Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance. He has no involvement at all actually.

Actually he might be credited as executive producer, like he is in Anarchy Reigns iirc. But that amounts to him looking up periodically from his manga and going "yea that looks pretty good" and then continuing to read said manga.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

toasterwarrior posted:

It's gotten to the point where people might enjoy seeing Raiden, who was once derided as a terrible "replacement" for Solid Snake in MGS2, beat the poo poo out of new Dante, who is slated to replace current Dante through a reboot.

The irony of Raiden being the star of a game currently being developed by Dante's creator makes it even better. Was wrong. Still, it does you good to laugh.

:ironicat:
Looking forward to doing just that.

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

Kamiya is not the director of Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance. He has no involvement at all actually.

Actually he might be credited as executive producer, like he is in Anarchy Reigns iirc. But that amounts to him looking up periodically from his manga and going "yea that looks pretty good" and then continuing to read said manga.

Also this is hilarious.
Kamiya swooping out of his tower of spent literature to make sure the badass meter stays up.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I just caught up with this thread. I gotta say, my opinion before this was "Okay Dante looks stupid, but hey, gameplay is what matters"

Then I read 1/3 of the thread "Social-commentary. Really? In a DMC game? The one series where the answer to "Where is everyone" was "Who cares, murder demons better and faster now!"

At 2/3 "...This doesn't look fun. DMC didn't take itself too seriously and was better off for it. This guy is the epitome of tryhard. And since when does Dante say "gently caress"?"

At this point "Okay, so the boss basically looks like GoW with a more miserable dodge (and I hate GoW's dodge system) and combo system. But the backgrounds look cool."

Pesky Splinter posted:

Updated image for that Battle thing.

I hope it's fake, because well...look at his face. What's wrong with your facccccce?

I'm pretty sure this is a fake because there's some dissonance between having Cole, Ratchet, Sackboy and Daniel Forthesque in one game.

I'm also kind of dubious about the whole idea of these characters in a mascot fighter (Super Smash bros this is not), but that's not a topic for this thread.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
Yeah, I was indifferent to the character redesign and the tone change (i.e., xtreme fuckwords) and the social commentary idiocy.

The other games had this really weird "Japanese anime fantasy pretends to be rock-and-roll but can't decide if that means 'metal' or 'punk'" thing going on that I never really got, so whatever. No great loss, just replacing one kind of middle-school cool with another.

Everything about the gameplay that's come out in the past couple months has just looked terrible, though. :(

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bonaventure posted:

Yeah, I was indifferent to the character redesign and the tone change (i.e., xtreme fuckwords) and the social commentary idiocy.

The other games had this really weird "Japanese anime fantasy pretends to be rock-and-roll but can't decide if that means 'metal' or 'punk'" thing going on that I never really got, so whatever. No great loss, just replacing one kind of middle-school cool with another.

Everything about the gameplay that's come out in the past couple months has just looked terrible, though. :(

B-but all the gaming journalists who've never played anything past the original say its gonna be GREAT.

How can they be wrong. :downs:

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

Alteisen posted:

B-but all the gaming journalists who've never played anything past the original say its gonna be GREAT.

How can they be wrong. :downs:

Jesus, have you not read anything they've written about the game?

His hair is white when he goes super Dante, the game is going to be fine. I mean, I've never played a previous DMC game, but this is easily the best combat wise.

Did I mention how he's the same zany, wacky character he's always been? So loving zany!

dat fukkin dog!!
Dec 17, 2008
I can't wait to touch myself on the 14th, which in the United States of the Americas is VALENTINE'S DAY just like Skullgirls and short skirts and oh my god oh so excited.

SSNeoman posted:

I'm pretty sure this is a fake because there's some dissonance between having Cole, Ratchet, Sackboy and Daniel Forthesque in one game.

I'm also kind of dubious about the whole idea of these characters in a mascot fighter (Super Smash bros this is not), but that's not a topic for this thread.

Is there though? They already have Kratos and Big Daddy (Bioshock) next to parappa the rapper and fat princess. It's not that crazy to think they'll have all these characters and new Dante

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

SSNeoman posted:

The confirmed character list is already:

Big Daddy = BioShock
Cole MacGrath = Infamous
Colonel Radec = Killzone
Fat Princess = Fat Princess
Heihachi Mishima = Tekken
Jak and Daxter = Jak and Daxter
Kratos = God of War
Nathan Drake = Uncharted
PaRappa = PaRappa the Rapper
Sly Cooper = Sly Cooper
Sweet Tooth = Twisted Metal
Toro Inoue (Sony-Cat) = Together Everywhere!

So, yeah, it's gonna pretty loving weird. New Dante and the Heavenly Sword tart being in it would probably be less weird than PaRappa attacking Kratos in the Little Big Planet world, while Nathan Drake has fisticuffs with a Big Daddy. :stare:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Hideki Kamiya wants to make Viewtiful Joe 3 posted:

Former Capcom game designer and Devil May Cry director Hideki Kamiya has expressed interest in making a new entry in the Viewtiful Joe franchise.

Speaking with Japan’s Famitsu magazine (via Andriasang), Kamiya, who also worked on the likes of Resident Evil 2 and Okami, said if he were given the chance to make a sequel to either Bayonetta or Viewtiful Joe, he’d plump for the latter.

Despite this, he did reveal that he’s spoken about the possibility of a Bayonetta sequel/spin-off, and frequently meets with the game’s producer to talk about things over a pint.

Viewtiful Joe was released in 2003 and formed part of Capcom’s highly-publicised ‘Capcom Five’ for Nintendo GameCube (of which Resident Evil 4, Dead Phoenix, PN-03 and Killer 7 were also a part of).

However, like so many of the games from the Capcom Five, the title was later ported to PlayStation 2. A sequel followed in 2004, with anime-inspired brawler Red Hot Rumble arriving the following year.

As for Bayonetta, the game was released in January 2010 to critical acclaim, developing a cult following in the process. Many have called for a follow-up, though to date nothing has ever materialised.

Source: http://www.psu.com/a016381/Hideki-Kamiya-wants-to-make-Viewtiful-Joe-3

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
New DmC trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7oDHpEJEvU

:supaburn: ALL NEW NON-STOP BOX MOVING ACTION! :supaburn:

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

e;answered my own question

Relating to the video, maybe I'm just over-analysing, but every encounter there only featured one or two enemies. Honestly, I don't even get what the point of that video was, it didn't really show anything off or reveal new information, it just sorta was.

Balobam fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Aug 9, 2012

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Balobam posted:

Oh, suddenly remembered, is there something that ties the name Lilith to Succubus's?

IIRC, Lilith supposedly mothers a race of demons or succubi or something, though that may have only been written about in the Shin Megami games, and I'm misremebering mythology.

The gross bug thing is just called Poison. I wish they'd have given it a proper name, but hey ho.

It's a previously unseen area - the slurm* factory. A previously unseen enemy (the big dude)**, and lots and lots of really tedious looking platforming.

*gently caress whatever Ninja Theory call the drink - it's slurm.
**Well, in action anyway, CA has been around for a while.

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

Yeah google said something about her being the mother of all succubus's, I was only curious because it turned up in Castlevania and I thought it seemed weird.

Anyway, my enthusiasm for this game remains on its downward spiral and none of these videos seem to want to stop that, it just looks slow, which is one thing a DMC game should not be. And yeah, there was a lot of platforming looking sections that seem to be entirely dedicated to such, unless I'm misremembering previous iterations they didn't have much in the way of just platforming, mostly something to break up fight sequences, sometimes make a sequence harder. I'm looking at you, disappearing floor section in the forest

To their credit, the game does look quite nice. Not really much better than 4 though, if at all. Which reminds me, I wonder if DmC will have some PC-only extras LDK-style.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

I would also rather have a new Viewtiful Joe over Bayonetta. I mean, it's been so long since we've seen a legit game done by Kamiya for it and it would be fantastic.

...Oh right the new trailer, yeah boxes and pulling boxes... can't wait.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Balobam posted:

To their credit, the game does look quite nice. Not really much better than 4 though, if at all. Which reminds me, I wonder if DmC will have some PC-only extras LDK-style.

That's really their sole forté, is that they can make their games look really nice. Unfortunately, they are usually so obsessed with the visuals that the gameplay suffers drastically.

It'd be nice if they did put a LDK type thing for the PC, yeah. There's no telling what'd they do though, considering it took Capcom and NT long enough to even announce a PC version.

Sex_Ferguson posted:

I would also rather have a new Viewtiful Joe over Bayonetta. I mean, it's been so long since we've seen a legit game done by Kamiya for it and it would be fantastic.

...Oh right the new trailer, yeah boxes and pulling boxes... can't wait.

I'm really not sure which I'd prefer. VJ was tonnes of fun, and so was Bayonetta. And I did like Dante's story in VJ. It was basically Kamiya sticking a giant middle finger to DMC2, in a roundabout way.

[e]: Yes. :sigh:
VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Aug 10, 2012

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
What's with the use of obesity and stupidity in that trailer?

More political commentary?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Kotaku - DmC’s Puzzling Use Of The Words “Obesity” And “Stupidity” posted:

The latest DmC: Devil May Cry footage shows off some of the game’s platforming as well as the giant wall-crawler, Succubus. That’s not all.

In the trailer, words like “die”, “obesity”, “stupidity” flash in the background. “Kill Dante” also appears. Subtle, no? (Then again, when has Devil May Cry been subtle?)

Not subtle, sure, but this could be seen as insensitive. Choosing “obesity” along with the word “stupidity” is puzzling. Are the game’s developers saying being overweight is the same as being stupid? Wouldn’t it be better to use words like “gluttony” or “sloth”? “Obesity” is an odd choice from a Western developer. The comparison is even odder.

Some people are, well, obese. They try to lose weight, but perhaps they cannot — no matter how hard they try. It’s not a character issue or a discipline issue. And there’s nothing stupid about that.

Worse yet, it’s as though DmC‘s creators are equating being overweight with being an idiot. That doesn’t mean this was their intention, but flashing them on the screen at the same time invite comparison, if only by default. Which is unfortunate.

Oh Kotaku. May you continue to be the shining star in the crown of gaming journalism. :allears:

They bring up a very valid point, and then drown it by missing the point.

You know, if you gave an infinite number of monkeys an infinite number of time and an infinite number of typewriters, eventually one would pen a work of Shakespeare. The rest will become hired by Kotaku so they can fling their poo poo on the internet.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Aug 10, 2012

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010
Obesity? What? Where the hell did that come from?

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Nikolaos posted:

The trailer. As for why Obesity and Stupidity are plastered on the sides of boxes in the background in DMC uh... deep artistic story? I really have no idea what is going on with those things in the trailer. Why would they spell out KILL DANTE in front of Dante as he runs by? Is he going to see it and suddenly shoot himself? It saying Die makes sense but nothing else does.. :psyduck:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Nikolaos posted:

It's in the trailer for the slurm factory and it's probably the demons saying "The humans are so stupid that they will drink this random gunk we sell them and they will become obese." Further cementing that these villains are so cartoonish they might as well be in an episode of Futurama.

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010
Oh I saw it, it was just incredibly stupid. Ah well at least the new DmC has jumping puzzles... that's what everyone loves about DMC games right, they all have jumping puzzles.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Sex_Ferguson posted:

It's in the trailer for the slurm factory and it's probably the demons saying "The humans are so stupid that they will drink this random gunk we sell them and they will become obese."
Hahahahaha this is some Captain Planet poo poo right here.

Why is it that the more incompetent the game designer, the more convinced they are that their cartoonish morality plays are super deep and thought-provoking? Seriously, it's becoming a frighteningly accurate litmus test.

AccountingNightmare
Oct 2, 2006

NOT ENOUGH RED ORBS ARGH
Have they shown any boss besides the hideous worm thing yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeah Bro
Feb 4, 2012

Ninja Theory are really trying to make this game suck, aren't they? I'd have thought that the first thing you'd do when making a DMC game would be to ensure that the fighting was fast-paced, but this still looks slow as hell. The political commentary aspect is still dumb, but I was at least hoping that the game could be half-way decent with the combat.

Also, that trailer was super bad. At the very least, an action game should have an exciting trailer to get people pumped. It should be bombastic, over the top, in your face, that sort of thing. The music in this one had no force behind it, the camera cuts were too slow, the sword sound effects had no weight, the environment was same-y (possibly because it all took place in a slurm factory) and most of the time was spent watching Dante's arse slowly running or swinging though platforming bits. It shouldn't be hard to make a Devil May Cry game look fun, but somehow they failed at it.

e:

AccountingNightmare posted:

Have they shown any boss besides the hideous worm thing yet?

Given that the first boss happens 1/3rd of the way through the game, I don't think they have many more bosses to show aside from the worm one.

• Locked thread