Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Ferremit posted:

Rust is just natures loctite! :v:

It's true, rust is natural blue loctite. If you want natural red loctite, add some mud.

Putting some new control arms on ACEofsnett's truck the other day we broke an M12 fine thread 10.9 or 12.9 bolt off due to rust on the threads.

Why it needed new control arms :stare:

e: more horrible rust belt failures, friend of mine just had this come into the shop he works at

kastein fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jul 27, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

kastein posted:

It's true, rust is natural blue loctite. If you want natural red loctite, add some mud.

Putting some new control arms on ACEofsnett's truck the other day we broke an M12 fine thread 10.9 or 12.9 bolt off due to rust on the threads.

Why it needed new control arms :stare:

e: more horrible rust belt failures, friend of mine just had this come into the shop he works at

Are those... Soup Cans? :gonk:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
The 4B11 in the Evo X is pretty burly. Here's one that reportedly lost a plug, then got towed by the rear wheels on a highway.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Sponge! posted:

Are those... Soup Cans? :gonk:

yup!

He said the owner stuck soup cans in there and tried to bondo over it to pass inspection. It didn't work.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The 4B11 in the Evo X is pretty burly. Here's one that reportedly lost a plug, then got towed by the rear wheels on a highway.

Reading the story behind that just made me nauseated. And irate as hell.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

some texas redneck posted:

Goddamn that's lovely. Question, though: Could they not have put the car in neutral and avoided this?

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

Fucknag posted:

Goddamn that's lovely. Question, though: Could they not have put the car in neutral and avoided this?

No, it'll still spin everything up to and including the output shaft on the transmission due to the driven wheels being on the ground.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Fucknag posted:

The transfer case would have still grenaded, possibly the transmission as well, and they confirmed the rear diff was hosed. Still would have been cheaper than the engine though, so there may be a partial fail on the owner there.

I'd think the truck driver would have noticed the extra drag from the car being in gear too, with that kind of carnage (both in the photos and the description of the transmission) it had to be in a low gear. And the owner had specifically requested a flat bed and told them it was an AWD car.

mungtor
May 3, 2005

Yeah, I hate me too.
Nap Ghost

some texas redneck posted:

Motronic should show up soon to tell us why that's normal and if we've never worked as a professional tow driver we have no ability to understand.

OK, I keed. That's just loving wrong.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Man that is seriously lovely, but if I were the owner there's no chance I'd let the driver move it an inch. Why couldn't he tell him to gently caress off and come back with a flatbed or dollies?

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Godholio posted:

That was his point. It's a weak point in the system, but it's still strong enough to hold up to almost any condition. And if someone does manage to break it, it's a lot better than a real internal trans/tc part.

Yup, mechanical fuse. Straight from the mouth of your friendly local Canadian jet turbine repairman:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_gpIAfOrdo&hd=1&t=215s

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Oh my god how did I not have this guy on my subscriptions list I love you.

Turbines are the most awesome combination of :science: and :black101:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

mungtor posted:

Motronic should show up soon to tell us why that's normal and if we've never worked as a professional tow driver we have no ability to understand.

I'm pretty sure Motronic would have known not to tow a full time AWD car like that. :downsgun:

Then again, I've towed a couple of cars with a Civic and a tow strap, so I may not be firing on all 4 cylinders myself. :haw:

opengl128 posted:

Man that is seriously lovely, but if I were the owner there's no chance I'd let the driver move it an inch. Why couldn't he tell him to gently caress off and come back with a flatbed or dollies?

There's a tiny little bit of blame on the owner for even letting it get hooked up to that truck, but the way it was explained, it sounded like the driver implied he'd be putting the rear on dollies once they got off the highway... then just took off.

ChiliMac
Apr 13, 2005

That's why I never kiss 'em on the mouth.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Check out this Hotchkis article for empirical validation that hollow swaybars are much lighter weight and almost as stiff as a solid swaybar of a similar diameter.

http://www.hotchkis.net/_uploaded_files/hollow_vs_solidinstructions162file.pdf

I forgot everyone isn't an engineer :v:. It's not quite an apples to apples comparison but it's close enough to explain why polar moment of inertia is more important that just total cross-section when it comes to torsional stiffness.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

law abiding rapist posted:

Yup, mechanical fuse. Straight from the mouth of your friendly local Canadian jet turbine repairman:

Ok this guy is the best youtube channel I've ever seen. Thanks for this!

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

law abiding rapist posted:

Why the hell did i just watch 15 minutes of a guy rebuilding a jet engine starter? I just couldn't turn it off!

Are there nice videos like this on car stuff? Not this "shaky cam tuning my civic" garbage you usually find but something nicely explained with good footage.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Shai-Hulud posted:

Why the hell did i just watch 15 minutes of a guy rebuilding a jet engine starter? I just couldn't turn it off!

Are there nice videos like this on car stuff? Not this "shaky cam tuning my civic" garbage you usually find but something nicely explained with good footage.
PowerStrokeHelp is pretty good. The guy seems kind of rednecky at first, but he knows his stuff.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Yay, finally a mechanical failure that's not mine

The road was washed out so they fixed it with rig mats to keep a job going, the mats are about 10 inches high, and the ramp up to them is pretty much a 45* angle. it's a popular camping road, and people tried driving down it with cars, one of them hit the mats at speed and lost it's oil pan.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Mercedes throttle actuator. 11 insulation free wires! (one is new, I had already started re-wiring the module)

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
I wouldn't call it horrible, but it is a failure..

Other half is still stuck in the trunk. Too hot outside to dick with it now, and the nosy neighbors are home today.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

Viggen posted:

Other half is still stuck in the trunk. Too hot outside to dick with it now, and the nosy neighbors are home today.

Get yourself some key extractors...

Like http://www.digital-voice-phone-recorders.com/locksmith_broken_key_extractor_kmex4.html

Alternatively, liberally lubricate your local locksmith's apprentice with some beer/liquor and borrow his for 5 minutes.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Sponge! posted:

Get yourself some key extractors...

Like http://www.digital-voice-phone-recorders.com/locksmith_broken_key_extractor_kmex4.html

Alternatively, liberally lubricate your local locksmith's apprentice with some beer/liquor and borrow his for 5 minutes.

I lucked out and got a key out of my dad's old Toyota pickup with a bunch of WD-40, a dentist pick, and a harddrive magnet.

edit: I accidentally a word.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

cursedshitbox posted:

Mercedes throttle actuator. 11 insulation free wires! (one is new, I had already started re-wiring the module)

It's amazing what a steel-cable through a thin plastic tube can do. :eng101:

I'll never understand this whole "throttle-by-wire" thing. It just doesn't make sense to not have a direct connection between the pedal and the throttle linkage, and I refuse to own any vehicle that's equipped with it. :colbert:

Root Bear fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jul 31, 2012

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
It has some cool performance benefits. Auto rev-matching, flat foot shifting, anti lag, and can force you to get better fuel economy.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

and a harddrive magnet.

Pure. loving. Genius.

I had a lockbox full of old photos with a broken off key in it and just solved it with a HD magnet. You are a tremendous goon.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

jamal posted:

It has some cool performance benefits. Auto rev-matching, flat foot shifting, anti lag, and can force you to get better fuel economy.

I'm pretty sure it's also the only way the beancounters will let a car like the MS3 out of the factory - otherwise hamfisted morons would floor it everywhere until the CV joints snap after 20k miles.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'm pretty sure it's also the only way the beancounters will let a car like the MS3 out of the factory - otherwise hamfisted morons would floor it everywhere until the CV joints snap after 20k miles.

I've always heard that the biggest reason why DBW was adopted was that it makes stability control easier and cheaper to implement. Beyond that, with throttle position sensors and some kind of servo at the throttle body already with stability control, a cable linkage is kind of redundant.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

jamal posted:

Can I do this with my Legacy?

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

Root Bear posted:

It's amazing what a steel-cable through a thin plastic tube can do. :eng101:

I'll never understand this whole "throttle-by-wire" thing. It just doesn't make sense to not have a direct connection between the pedal and the throttle linkage, and I refuse to own any vehicle that's equipped with it. :colbert:

I don't know why. My s2000 has drive by wire and the throttle response is faster than the pre-DBW S2000's. You can also tune parameters such as how much pedal pressure is required to go WOT as well as the ones Jamal posted using a FlashPro. The improved traction control for day to day driving is worth it by itself.

Paul Boz_ fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Aug 1, 2012

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Owen Wilsons Nose posted:

Can I do this with my Legacy?

The Accessport and openecu should have FFS support. For anti-lag you will have to find a tuner who knows what he is doing.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

MrChips posted:

I've always heard that the biggest reason why DBW was adopted was that it makes stability control easier and cheaper to implement. Beyond that, with throttle position sensors and some kind of servo at the throttle body already with stability control, a cable linkage is kind of redundant.

As an EE with a fascination with embedded systems and automotive electronics I normally like cool bells and whistles like this, but I've been completely turned off the idea by the 2012 Subdivision, errr, Suburban I rented for work approx. 9 months ago. It felt like driving a car with the throttle cable replaced by a slinky, a rather weak rubber band, and some variety of Shake Weight. I'm pretty sure throttle response time was near a second and it couldn't really figure out what gear it should be in, either.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

kastein posted:

As an EE with a fascination with embedded systems and automotive electronics I normally like cool bells and whistles like this, but I've been completely turned off the idea by the 2012 Subdivision, errr, Suburban I rented for work approx. 9 months ago. It felt like driving a car with the throttle cable replaced by a slinky, a rather weak rubber band, and some variety of Shake Weight. I'm pretty sure throttle response time was near a second and it couldn't really figure out what gear it should be in, either.

Surely that's not a problem with DBW as a concept but rather a problem with the implementation?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

kastein posted:

You should probably go drive something with good DBW like an E90 M3. That said, I hate what sport mode does to the throttle curve on the M3.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Longinus00 posted:

Surely that's not a problem with DBW as a concept but rather a problem with the implementation?

Exactly. The problem with DBW is not the idea, just some implementations are plainly terrible.

The first DBW car I ever drove was a early '00s Buick, and it was terrible. It really felt like pressing the pedal was just asking the car to start going, whenever it felt like it. The same complaint commonly made against lovely automatic transmissions applied to this whole car. My grandmother's Deville from the same era exhibited the same problem.

I currently daily drive an E46 BMW, I often drove a Mk5 GTI, and just today I drove a Subaru BRZ. All DBW, all brilliant to drive. The GTI's DSG handled rev-matching for me so that wasn't much of a test, but today's BRZ drive provided a car that demanded good shifts for optimum enjoyment and did not suffer a bit from DBW.

I couldn't perceive any delay in my E46 before, though I do now in comparison, but I'm not sure if that's actually DBW or just the lighter flywheel/engine and direct injection on the Subie allowing a better throttle feel.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Longinus00 posted:

It could be that they intentionally backed off the throttle response too; the thought being that with sluggish throttle response, it will make you drive more efficiently. I find an ever so slight lag with the throttle response in my E46 330Ci, and I can also tell you the engine does not respond in a linear fashion to throttle input. When I drove the F10 328 a month ago, it was incredible how much variation in throttle response there was between the Eco mode and the Sport/Sport+ mode. In Eco mode, it was like the throttle pedal was merely suggesting the engine do something; in Sport+, the response was razor sharp, even though the engine is turbocharged.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Viggen posted:

I assume that's a Saab key by your name. I've done that before too but in the ignition.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

BlackMK4 posted:

You should probably go drive something with good DBW like an E90 M3. That said, I hate what sport mode does to the throttle curve on the M3.

Probably, but I'm around $45k short of what it takes to buy one of those, and it wouldn't make it out of (or into) the driveway in the winter. Hell, that's about what I paid for my house and all five of my vehicles combined.

The Suburban I drove was certainly just a really lovely implementation of DBW. Still, with the vehicles I own and build, I prefer throttle cables for reliability and price.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

BlackMK4 posted:

I'm sure it's very common for customers to cross-shop M3s and Suburbans.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Godholio posted:

I'm sure it's very common for customers to cross-shop M3s and Suburbans.

The point was not that the vehicles are comparable, but that the generalization that (all) DBW is crap is a false one.

The DBW system in the Suburban probably does suck, but it sucks because it's GM and not because it's DBW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Also, a Suburban is my last possible choice for a vehicle. I rented it only because it fit the job I needed to get done at the moment (hauling a large quantity of prototype radio gear to a test site, and hauling half a dozen people at the same time) and because my employer was covering both the rental and the gas bill.

Otherwise I would have just used my comanche, or possibly the cherokee with a covered trailer. In fact the original plan was to use the cherokee, but I discovered the running issues I'd been having were due to a blown head gasket rather than the clogged cat I suspected just as I was preparing to leave for that test run, so I rented the suburban and headed out.