Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Wait, so is the S3 the better phone to get than the Galaxy Nexus? I haven't really been paying attention to what's out for the past 2 years so yeah what's up there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Skeezy posted:

Wait, so is the S3 the better phone to get than the Galaxy Nexus? I haven't really been paying attention to what's out for the past 2 years so yeah what's up there?

S3 has the best hardware to date, Galaxy Nexus is pure Google and will get updates much sooner.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Skeezy posted:

I'm torn on this one. I love my galaxy nexus, and it runs well overall (though not on Cyanogen), but u have to say the S3 is doing very well so far.

Galaxy Nexus:
Quicker software updates in theory
Better call quality/sound
Form factor sans case is great
Meh battery life
Runs smooth
Google based, although an offshoot
I think the camera is fine

Galaxy 3
Great battery life. Great.
Runs smooth
Sound quality and especially signal strength leaves something to be desired
I personally can't stand the phone without a case on. Feels great with a commuter otterbox
Not as quick updates
Crapware, but it mostly can be ignored (swift key is a must)
Fantastic camera
Better screen
SD card slot

I'm betting the development community is pretty equal for those who care about that. The S3 kills it hardware wise, so it comes down to which is more important.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

As long as the S3 gets CM10 I'm cool with it. How did the S2 do in that regard?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Lovie Unsmith posted:

Galaxy Nexus is pure Google and will get updates much sooner.

You don't own a Sprint GNex, do you?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Skeezy posted:

The S3 already has CM10. It's obviously not fully functional but from what I've read, it's good enough for a daily driver and I don't think it's even reached a Release Candidate stage yet. All of the important things work. It's small things like Picasa Sync that aren't working yet.

edit: The S2 was slower to get things like CM9 and AOKP but that's because it was a unique device like all of the other S2 variants. All of the US SGS3 variants are nearly identical so cross-development is much easier.

Edit2: I guess I'd better point out that LTE isn't working yet on CM10, and neither is A2DP if that's important to you.

Vykk.Draygo fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Jul 30, 2012

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Krime posted:

Can I go to a Sprint store and do my upgrade in person or should I do it online/over the phone? Would it be an exercise in banging my head against a wall?
I wrote a "trip report" about doing this back on July 1st if you want to search back. You can upgrade in store, but the store itself has to call into their support line and it involves a bunch of monkeying around like switching you over to a different plan temporarily to do the upgrade, then switching back. Basically it'll take up a bunch of your time, and a bunch of their time, and in the end nobody's really happy even if it does work out.

Honestly if you can wait one day it's far better to order through Sprint's website or telesales.

Skeezy posted:

The S2 (E4GT) is an utter PITA, especially in regards to CM support. Folks are still working on CM9, and although it mostly works, there's a few things that need to be done to make it official and it's pretty much pulling teeth.

In contrast getting CM support for the S3 isn't too bad. One of the major problem is the SIM-less CDMA/LTE radio of the Sprint model, which, along with the Evo LTE was throwing folks for a loop. Ironically it's actually easier to support the S3 under CM10 than CM9 because a lot of the telephony stack changes needed to support the device made it back into AOSP for Jellybean. So right now everyone's pretty much focusing on CM10 and CM9 might end up with a half-baked port because folks don't really want to put in the extra effort for something that's harder to work with and out of date.

But otherwise, yeah, the S3 is great. About 2/3rds of the development is shared with other carrier S3 models, and 1/3rd of the development (RIL stuff) is shared with the Evo LTE which uses the same baseband configuration. There's a lot more cooperation there than with the E4GT, which is great.

As for LTE support, you'll probably have to wait a bit. Only one of the S3 CM developers has access to LTE at work, but he's not a radio guy. So right now, the radio guy is passing patches over to him to try out and grab logs from at work and they're iterating over them that way. But hey, if nothing else, that's dedication.

traslin
Feb 19, 2004
Hooked On Phoenix

The Entire Universe posted:

You don't own a Sprint GNex, do you?

So do all the other GNex's have official updates at this point? I haven't seen anything about the other carriers releasing JB for the Gnex, but I don't follow non-Sprint news all that closely.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

traslin posted:

So do all the other GNex's have official updates at this point? I haven't seen anything about the other carriers releasing JB for the Gnex, but I don't follow non-Sprint news all that closely.

GSM versions have official updates from Google, CDMA are still lacking but do have various quasi-to-semi-functional ROMs floating around XDA.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Can someone tell me exactly how to change my PRL? I want to at least see if Verizon speeds are better than Sprint's here (99% sure they are.)

I have an Evo 4G, and I tried this method, but when I dial ##DIAG#, it rings, then I get a message saying the code is invalid.

Does that special code not work in CM7?

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

DrBouvenstein posted:

Can someone tell me exactly how to change my PRL? I want to at least see if Verizon speeds are better than Sprint's here (99% sure they are.)

I have an Evo 4G, and I tried this method, but when I dial ##DIAG#, it rings, then I get a message saying the code is invalid.

Does that special code not work in CM7?

Correct, you need to flash to a Sense based ROM to update the PRL. When you flash back to CM7 the PRL update will stay

skattered
Oct 5, 2005

Too many lies!
Too many lies!
I was a moron sick of horrible T-Mobile coverage and made the leap in a fit of rage on Thursday to Sprint.

I'm on the $79.99 plan. I found out on Sunday that my cousin works for Sprint and he sent me an advantage club invitation email. How the hell do I get over to the on my already existing account? Is it at all possible?

How about the EPRP? Barring being able to get into the advantage club, would this be something I could switch to? When I called 611, the guy had no idea what I was talking about and kept asking for my employer information.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

skattered posted:

I was a moron sick of horrible T-Mobile coverage and made the leap in a fit of rage on Thursday to Sprint.

I'm on the $79.99 plan. I found out on Sunday that my cousin works for Sprint and he sent me an advantage club invitation email. How the hell do I get over to the on my already existing account? Is it at all possible?

How about the EPRP? Barring being able to get into the advantage club, would this be something I could switch to? When I called 611, the guy had no idea what I was talking about and kept asking for my employer information.

Um maybe port out to some cheap prepaid and return the phone then sign up for advantage club and port back in? I start back at sprint this Wednesday and my whole family is chomping at the bit to get back on advantage club lines even though most of them will be losing their phone number to do it.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

skattered posted:

How the hell do I get over to the on my already existing account?
From the fine print on the advantage club page:

Sprint posted:

Migration from current Sprint consumer accounts to Advantage Club is currently limited to 2 lines per employee per calendar year.
So basically you have to talk to your cousin.

Now, alternatively, since you're still within your 14 day return window, port your number to Google Voice which cancels your account and return the phone you purchased. Then have your cousin start a new line up (probably in his name, but it doesn't matter since he's the sponsor and liable for it either way) and when everything's ready to go, he can port your number back over from Google Voice.

Although you might just prefer to keep your number over at Google Voice and just have it redirected to your new advantage club line, since that gives you the best ability to retain "ownership" of the number.

In general, keep in mind that advantage club lines are essentially "owned" by the employee sponsor. You pretty much have to do everything through your cousin. If he leaves Sprint, you get transferred over to a regular account. If you don't pay the bill, he's liable for it. If you guys are close enough and he's going to be with Sprint for a while, it might be worth it. Otherwise it could be a hassle, just something to keep in mind.

skattered posted:

How about the EPRP?
You can't switch regular lines to EPRP. You can cancel your existing line, but I think Sprint won't let you start an EPRP account (or any account?) within 60 days of leaving. The way around that is if you can get someone else to sign up for the EPRP account with a different SSN, e.g., a SO you're sharing a family plan with. If you can do that, then it's the same as before, port your number to Google Voice, start EPRP, get a phone that works and all, then port the number back to it (or just forward to it).

skattered
Oct 5, 2005

Too many lies!
Too many lies!
Good info, thanks guys!

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009
Duckman2008 is good peeps for buying a phone from, came as described and quickly, and activated with no problems. The Employee number mentioned near the top in the OP worked like a charm for getting the phone swapped.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Duckman2008 posted:

Jesus Christ, swift key literally guessed that sentence for me word for word. I did not type anything but just call.

http://xkcd.com/1068/

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

gariig posted:

Correct, you need to flash to a Sense based ROM to update the PRL. When you flash back to CM7 the PRL update will stay

Ugh...that seems like a whole...thing. Don't know if I have the wherewithal to do that tonight...or ever...

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

DrBouvenstein posted:

Ugh...that seems like a whole...thing. Don't know if I have the wherewithal to do that tonight...or ever...

Make a NAND of your current setup, wipe and flash stock, update PRL, restore NAND, enjoy life. It's a thing but it's not a whole thing.

edit: I'm pretty sure this works. PRL is stored somewhere magical where a system wipe doesn't affect it, right?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Vykk.Draygo posted:

edit: I'm pretty sure this works. PRL is stored somewhere magical where a system wipe doesn't affect it, right?
Yes, radio NVRAM.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
Does a Verizon PRL force roaming, or allow you to connect to 3G data instead of 1x when you do roam?

If it's the latter, I assume it works in combination with the Roam Control app?

St. Blaize
Oct 11, 2007

goku chewbacca posted:

Does a Verizon PRL force roaming, or allow you to connect to 3G data instead of 1x when you do roam?

If it's the latter, I assume it works in combination with the Roam Control app?

Yes, it forces roaming. You don't need the roam control app if you have a Verizon only PRL as Verizon will be the only network the phone will see. 3G will be on Verizon as well. Basically you will have a Verizon phone, just watch your data use.

SneakyCracker
Oct 28, 2003

IRC - Its nothing more than multiplayer notepad.
Scanned the past few pages of this thread, and didnt see it posted, but Sprint is officially pushing 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich for the EVO 3D as of right now. I am currently downloading it on mine as I type this.

http://phandroid.com/2012/07/31/sprint-htc-evo-3d-owners-now-receiving-ice-cream-sandwich/

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

I tried switching from a Nexus S to a HTC Arrive online. It wouldn't let me do it because I need a plan change (currently SERO-P). I had to call the employee line to get the Nexus S because of the $10 fee. Can I get it switched if I call the employee line or did they change SERO?

atomicvocabulary
Oct 21, 2002

Say hello to the sunrise for me...

SneakyCracker posted:

Scanned the past few pages of this thread, and didnt see it posted, but Sprint is officially pushing 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich for the EVO 3D as of right now. I am currently downloading it on mine as I type this.

http://phandroid.com/2012/07/31/sprint-htc-evo-3d-owners-now-receiving-ice-cream-sandwich/

Well I'll be. Here goes nothing.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

SneakyCracker posted:

They got it in before early August! Good job, Sprint!

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

ZeroAX posted:

Can I get it switched if I call the employee line or did they change SERO?
Yes, right now you have to call whenever switching between CDMA-only, WiMAX, and LTE devices.

SneakyCracker
Oct 28, 2003

EVO 3D updated to ICS, annnnd...aside from a few minor layout/UI changes, not really seeing much of a difference. Performance seems to be about the same. And it's 4.0.3, not 4.0.4 as previously thought.

ICS on the GNex feels like a totally new OS. This does not.

Sigh...

EDIT: Was really hoping for a noticeable increase in UI smoothness that is present in other ICS upgraded devices. Update did not deliver.

SneakyCracker fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jul 31, 2012

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

SneakyCracker posted:

EVO 3D updated to ICS, annnnd...aside from a few minor layout/UI changes, not really seeing much of a difference. Performance seems to be about the same. And it's 4.0.3, not 4.0.4 as previously thought.

ICS on the GNex feels like a totally new OS. This does not.

Sigh...

EDIT: Was really hoping for a noticeable increase in UI smoothness that is present in other ICS upgraded devices. Update did not deliver.

Really? Everything seems incredibly smoother for me. Web page scrolling/panning is really nice, Sense is smoother, and everything looks nicer.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
Sense 3.6 really dumbs down ICS, I didn't realize how bad it was until I tried one of those AOSP themed ICS leak roms a while back. My next Android phone will either be a Nexus device or something that has really good AOSP rom support.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

blargle posted:

Sense 3.6 really dumbs down ICS, I didn't realize how bad it was until I tried one of those AOSP themed ICS leak roms a while back. My next Android phone will either be a Nexus device or something that has really good AOSP rom support.

I wouldn't place a lot of faith in "the community" considering they can't even muster CM10 for Sprint GNex.

Additionally, manufacturer skins rob you of many of the improvements these updates bring in terms of UI quality. GB -> ICS was a jump of light years in UI experience. On a sense device it's minimal. On a touchwhiz device its minimal. Same for blur, etc. They steal all that good poo poo from you if they even care to update your phone.

My argument would be much stronger on a GSM network but I guess Sprint is working on Jelly Bean for the GNex. I can't really tell for sure because there hasn't been a single syllable uttered from the company regarding the growing delay, but they might be working on it. Who knows.

SneakyCracker
Oct 28, 2003

blargle posted:

This.

I actually have 2 phones, my EVO 3D on Sprint (personal phone), and a Galaxy Nexus on Verizon (work phone)... and, yeah. Its amazing how badly HTC blew their Sense-load all over ICS for this update. Not ever buying an non-nexus device again after realizing what I've been missing once I got the GNex.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
The EVO Design picked up ICS today as well. I'm sure all three of the people that bought it will be pleased.

atomicvocabulary
Oct 21, 2002

Say hello to the sunrise for me...
I don't mind sense 3.6. Obviously bare ICS is better but I don't need it to not be there. I don't think I'll buy another HTC device unless sense gets MUCH better though.

dedian
Sep 2, 2011

I wouldn't place a lot of faith in "the community" considering they can't even muster CM10 for Sprint GNex.

Not sure what you mean here - there's been several preview builds of CM10 for the Sprint GNex - there's not any devices that are in nightly status for CM10 at this point either. CM10 is buildable and near 100% usable on toroplus at this point.

VVV Thanks, I probably should have included links to be helpful :D If anyone's interested in setting up their own build server for CM10 nightlies until they're provided officially, I can share how I set up my environment.

dedian fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jul 31, 2012

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

TVs Ian posted:

The EVO Design picked up ICS today as well. I'm sure all three of the people that bought it will be pleased.

Serious question: what is the point of the Evo Design, and the Samsung Conquer? Where do they fit in Sprint's fleet?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2012/07/30/suggestions-for-an-apple-shopping-list/?ref=business

Apparently, Andrew Ross Sorkin thinks Apple should buy Sprint.

I don't forsee any good for that at all, really. For Sprint or Android.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Here's a link to the current working copy of CM10 for the Sprint Gnex:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/113368286353727502996/posts/MCropmqq8ka

I'm using the same guy's version of CM10 for the NS4G, and it's very good. I've had 1 random reboot (that may have been low battery related), and there are a few Trebuchet features missing, but all the major stuff works. Here is his buglist:

code:
Reported Issues:
Power Widgets
 - LTE button doesn't work
Airplane Mode
 - Mobile / other icons still display
Google Now
- Takes time to profile your searches...be patient
EDIT: Changed to quoting the correct person.

Grumpwagon fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jul 31, 2012

DiverTwig
Jul 23, 2003
I ignore all NWS Tags, my Boss's like porn
Cross posting this from the Android phone thread in case this is something more specific to Sprint:

This morning I woke up to see my Sprint SGS2 was about to update to 4.0.4. Which is all well and good and makes me happy, but I now have one nit picking annoyance that I'm hoping someone here has heard of / seen and can tell me how to fix.

Simply put, when I'm just staring at my home screen, when I rotate from landscape > portrait or portrait > landscape it takes me to my first home screen, regardless of which one I was looking at. I only have 3 so it's not a huge problem to get back where I was, but like I said, it's annoying since my first screen is my work calendar and I don't want to see it every time I rotate my phone.

I'm using ADW as the launcher if that helps at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

I see there's an LG Optimus Elite listed on Sprint.com now. Is it a decent mid-range phone like the Optimus S? Or terrible like the quickly-EOL'd LG Marquee?

Lovie Unsmith posted:

Serious question: what is the point of the Evo Design, and the Samsung Conquer? Where do they fit in Sprint's fleet?
Some people aren't comfortable spending more than $50 on a phone. Ever. Especially with all the free-this and 99-cent-that deals available everywhere. This caters to them.